• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female trainer pose has been changed in Pokemon GO loading screen

Lime

Looks like censorship to me, better start a boycott and terrorize any women affiliated with the developer or publisher, regardless of any actual affiliation and have her be fired by the developer / publisher for arbitrary reasons.

Tusk

Such a random and irrelevant change. Was anyone even complaining about this? Hope it doesn't become a big thing. Doubt it will.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
People gotta be outraged about sumtin'. War, poverty, famine - nah. Silhouettes of imaginary girl? Hell yeah!
I heard there were starving children in Africa to so wtf have YOU done about any of those things. Note, this wasn't the result of some outrage SJW boogeyman, this was an internal decision.

Looking at it close, just seems they wanted to touch up the original image while fixing up a few things, not just the Trainer. Of course there will be people who get upset about it though.

Crossing Eden

They didn't have to reduce her hips, just make her, like... not stand like she's using an invisible hula hoop?
They didn't reduce her hips. They just made it look like a normal person standing instead of a silhouette for a strip club.

Oh come on. One looks like something you'd airbrush on the side of a van, the other looks like someone standing there. It's harmless to tone it down a little bit away from the former direction.
It harms my fragile male insecurity when things aren't directly marketed towards me specifically. :<

I heard there were starving children in Africa to so wtf have YOU done about any of those things. Note, this wasn't the result of some outrage SJW boogeyman, this was an internal decision.

You're projecting just a little too much. I don't recall mentioning any "SJW boogeyman".

Gator86

Looks like censorship to me, better start a boycott and terrorize any women affiliated with the developer or publisher, regardless of any actual affiliation and have her be fired by the developer / publisher for arbitrary reasons.

I laughed and got really sad at the same time because of how accurate this is.

Mega

Banned
No idea what they were thinking with the old one, she either had comically huge hips or was standing in the most awkward way possible to emphasize her hips

Because women with big/curvy hips like that don't exist? If you have a problem with a cartoon silhouette with curves, then it seems you have a very strong bias for women with skinny frames.

Damn, may as well have had her swinging around a pole before
Please be joking.

They didn't reduce her hips. They just made it look like a normal person standing instead of a silhouette for a strip club.

A woman standing with her hips arched, exaggerated or not, equals strip club? Come on. Do you have women friends in social media? Have you seen the totally innocuous manner that women pose alone and with their friends when taking silly, fun pics? Are they all strippers now just because you have weirdly conservative expectations?

FYI, I don't care that it was changed. Either is fine. I just think it's crazy and immature to say "they got rid of the stripper."

Crossing Eden

You're projecting just a little too much. I don't recall mentioning any "SJW boogeyman".
When people are referring to "outrage." They're typically referring to a non-existent boogeyman that scares poor game devs into representing women as equals instead of like objects whether it's with overt things like Cindy in FFXV or Quiet in MGSV or the normalization of ridiculous illustration tropes. Poses such as the original version of this image being one such example. There was no outrage about this pose specifically, the designers while touching up this image for the app decided that it'd be best not to make a silhouette that looks similar to the following.:
silhouette3.png

woman_silhouette.png

sexy-silhouettes-psd54791.png

^
etc. it'd be best not to alienate half your fanbase with things even remotely like the above.

Because women with big/curvy hips like that don't exist? If you have a problem with a cartoon silhouette with curves, then it seems you have a very strong bias for women with skinny frames.

Please be joking.

A woman standing with her hips arched, exaggerated or not, equals strip club? Come on. Do you have women friends in social media? Have you seen the totally innocuous manner that women pose alone and with their friends when taking silly, fun pics? Are they all strippers now just because you have weirdly conservative expectations?

FYI, I don't care that it was changed. Either is fine. I just think it's crazy and immature to say "they got rid of the stripper."
Read the text above before dying on this hill bro. And while you die on your hill take your "womenirltoo&#8482;" sign with you. And concerning the bolded.
8gFRKSd.gif

what a ridiculous accusation.

Mega

Banned
etc. it'd be best not to alienate half your fanbase with things even remotely like the above.

Read the text above before dying on this hill bro.

I'm not "dying" on any hill. If a woman takes pics like that regularly, do you think she would appreciate the likes of us calling her a stripper? I don't think you understand half of the fanbase if you regard all of those poses, most of which are pretty mundane, as "stripper poses."

Spman2099

So... just a good change, right? I mean, the original image looked pretty out of place. I wonder how many people will lose their mind anyway...

Crossing Eden

I'm not "dying" on any hill. If a woman takes pics like that regularly, do you think she would appreciate the likes of us calling her a stripper? I don't think you understand half of the fanbase if you regard all of those poses, most of which are pretty mundane, as "stripper poses."
You're literally missing the point of the change and absolutely cannot deny the similarity between that original pose and the ones I posted, the main difference is literally the hand holding a phone. Those are literally all silhouettes from the entrances of strip clubs. &#3232;_&#3232;

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You're literally missing the point of the change and absolutely cannot deny the similarity between that original pose and the ones I posted, the main difference is literally the hand holding a phone. Those are literally all silhouettes from the entrances of strip clubs. &#3232;_&#3232;
Some of those poses are innocuous though, outside of the heels.

Some of those poses aren't all that crazy tbh.

Crossing Eden

So... just a good change, right? I mean, the original image looked pretty out of place. I wonder how many people will lose their mind anyway...
Apparently if you don't like the original pose you just have an inherent bias towards skinny women. And the silhouettes of strip club entrances bearing a reasonable at worst resemblance to the original pose means nothing. Women irl pose like that everyday didn't you know? /s Dude probably thinks women walk like Bayonetta too. >_>

L Thammy

Personally, I like to pose like a runway model when I catch Pokemon so I feel a little insulted about this. I suppose it's probably for the female players though

Mega

Banned
You're literally missing the point of the change and absolutely cannot deny the similarity between that original pose and the ones I posted, the main difference is literally the hand holding a phone.

I literally did not miss anything, bro. I think you're approaching this from a narrowly framed personal POV of what is or isn't acceptable for a woman's pose and calling it a stripper's pose. I fully understand what your meaning is and I strongly disagree on account of the fact that any ordinal girl or woman can be found posing like that IRL. Don't come at me with this "womenirl lol" remark as if it's not legitimate. No one made you the arbiter of what is or isn't in good taste for the visual personification of women. At best, you're incredibly conservative. At worse, you're displaying an level of condescension on what is/isn't acceptable and conflating it with the far more absurd examples one may find in like a comic book cover where a woman is contorted to hell in unrealistic sexy poses.

From what I see it's not even about making a curvy/thick girl skinny. It's the fact that the trainer model is over exaggerating pushing their hips out which appears super awkward.

FyreWulff

No idea what they were thinking with the old one, she either had comically huge hips or was standing in the most awkward way possible to emphasize her hips, either way, this is an improvement, reminds me of this ME:A concept art with a similar nonsensical pose.
MEA_small.png

when you gotta save the galaxy but you just drank a 44oz cherry limeade at Sonic

yurinka

I think censorship is something stupid, like from the middle age. I don't understand how can someone can see something wrong in this original image to the point they asked someone to change it. They must have a super twisted mind to see something bad there.

Cynar

The previous pose is outright laughable lol
It was a similar art style to what they did to the male trainer and his neck. It was all warped. I figured it would just due to style. Makes sense people would freak out though and demand something more realistic, just kinda lame because I preferred the old art style. I didn't even think anything was wrong until I read the reactions here.

Here's a reminder of the poor male trainer and his warped neck

https://imgur.com/gallery/1kVon

Cool, show me the art that has the male trainer pulling the same pose.
You can't be serious? It was obviously just a style thing. If you felt offended by it that's your problem and what you're projecting on the image. It was a silhouette of a trainer taking a picture. It was pretty obvious what was intended and it's sad that it's been misinterpreted and had to be changed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think censorship is something stupid, like from the middle age. I don't understand how can someone can see something wrong in this original image to the point they asked someone to change it. They must have a super twisted mind to see something bad there.

no one asked to change it, they did of their own volition because they thought the result better fit what they were going for. why are you trying to censor their changes?

Crossing Eden

I literally did not miss anything, bro. I think you're approaching this from a narrowly framed personal POV of what is or isn't acceptable for a woman's pose and calling it a stripper's pose. I fully understand what your meaning is and I strongly disagree on account of the fact that any ordinal girl or woman can be found posing like that IRL. Don't come at me with this "womenirl lol" remark as if it's not legitimate. No one made you the arbiter of what is or isn't in good taste for the visual personification of women. At best, you're incredibly conservative. At worse, you're displaying an level of condescension on what is/isn't acceptable and conflating it with the far more absurd examples one may find in like a comic book cover where a woman is contorted to hell in unrealistic sexy poses.
The version in that original pose absolutely looks contorted, what even is that pose? Stand up from your chair and/or bed and try to stand exactly like that original pose, see how awkward it feels.

TIL leaning back to take a photo of a large object = stripper.
You do the same.

Mega

Banned
Cool, show me the art that has the male trainer pulling the same pose.

This to me would be the bigger issue (parity between the two), not that the original is somehow a "stripper" that needs to be purged.

The version in that original pose absolutely looks contorted, what even is that pose? Stand up from your chair and/or bed and try to stand exactly like that original pose, see how awkward it feels.

I have a pretty big butt for a dude and have a habit of leaning into one hip. I could pull it off... but hey, you know all about allll "realistic and acceptable" body types and poses.

Top Bottom