• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems and Under-The-Radar Recommendations - Steam Winter Sale 2016

Tizoc

So this kinda belongs in this thread. Anyone played Styx. Is it a good stealth game??

Yes it is! Janky and has its flaws...and by the time you reach halfway through you can see how budgeted it was, but otherwise it is a good Thief-like stealth game.
It's overall good if you want more stealth games in your life.

Aaron D.

You know about Shadow Tactics, right?

Yeah, Shadow Tactics is the new modern standard in Commandos / Desperados-style gameplay.

It only launched a couple weeks ago, so don't expect a big discount. However, if you're into the genre you need to experience Shadow Tactics. Drop it into your Wishlist at the very least and give the Steam demo a shot.

Oh this really looks up my alley! Thanks!

If you're into Game Dev Tycoon games, keep an eye out for Software Inc. It's Early Access, but it already has far more depth than Mad Dev Tycoon (stock trading, game-engine development & leasing, etc.).

Tizoc

Are you ready?
HEY!
Are you ready for THIS?!
Are you hanging' on the edge of your seat?
Out of the doorway the bullets RIP!
To the sound of the beat!

Come one, come all, I've got a list of 150+ must play* games on Steam and PC platform in general curated by SteamGAF's own Crom praising & blindly hyping Dinoman II! Wishlist whichever game interests you <3

*By must play I generally mean 'consider picking them up if they interest you otherwise fuggedaboutit.
**Ys series will get a more fleshed out description in the near future :X

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17

NeoRaider

Anyone played Valley?
I have it on my wishlist but i am not even sure what it is about exactly. Is it a story driven game? Walking simulator? Is there a combat in the game?...

Tizoc

Guacamalee
An action adventure Metroidvania-style with a Mexican/Luchador theme. Has 2 player mode to play and beat the game with a fellow player.

Resident Evil series
Can&#8217;t go wrong with any of them so just blindly grab them all.

Shovel Knight
A wonderful 2D Platformer inspired by the NES era and boasting colorful 8-bit graphics. All future expansions will be free as per the developers.
If you have even a remote interested in 2D platformers this is a must have.

Umihara Kawase series
A 2D platformer series that utilize physics in order to progress through the stages. It&#8217;s a platformer unlike anything you&#8217;ve ever seen with a very Japanese Fish-centric theme.

Tales of Monkey Island
The last Monkey Island game made to datew, while it starts slow it gets better in later episodes. Features the series&#8217; trademark humor and some decent puzzles.

The Trine trilogy
A series of Puzzle Platformers where you use the abilities of 3 characters to progress through the stages. Can be played co-op as 3 players as well.

The Silver Case
One of Suda51&#8217;s earliest Adventure games finally gets an official English release. Featuring Suda51&#8217;s crazy plots, themes and storytelling, it&#8217;s a must play for any fans of his work.

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Classics
A collection of over 20 titles released on the MD/Genesis. Has Steam workshop support to apply fanmods or fanhacks to games. You can even use the ROMs from this collection and use them an emulator of your choice if you don&#8217;t like the base emulator provided in this collection.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
The dev. Team have been putting some impressive work on this re-release such that it may as well be a remaster. If you&#8217;re looking for some PS2 era Adventure Platforming, def. give this game a play.

Zenge
This is a simple jigsawlike puzzle game that involves moving picture pieces to form an image that will tell the game&#8217;s story. It&#8217;s cheap, simple and short enough for the asking price, so def. give it a chance.

Where is Dusk Golem when you need him lol

Edit: These are some great looking picks overall from everyone. Going to check some of these out for sure.

kionedrik

Here's a few of my favorite indies from the last couple of years:

Hand of Fate (-66%) - Immensely satisfying dungeon crawler and deck building hybrid with superb sound design and writing. Combat is a little rough around the edges but it's perfectly functional.
Fly'N (-80%) - On par with SMB it might be the best platformer I've ever played and it looks gorgeous.
Divide By Sheep (-75%) - A well made puzzle game with surprising depth and varied mechanics.
Parallax (-75%) - First Person puzzle game with some similarities with Antichamber.
Knytt Underground (-60%) - 2D platformer with some Metroid influences where you explore the world of fairies and sprites after the humans have disappeared.
Full Bore (-75%) - Puzzle platformer were you play as a mining boar, trying to find out what happened to you and this world.[/QUOTE]
Odallus: The Dark Call (-80%) - A classic Castlevania clone with very good level design and a well though out lore.
Jazzpunk (-40%) - Humorous insanity in video game form.
Circuits (-65%) - Music puzzle game with a minimalist aesthetic and a cool soundtrack.
UnEpic (-50%) - A criminally underrated metroidvania game.
Transistor (-80%) - Not really an hidden gem but it's unavoidable to mention it when talking about high quality indie games.
Hexcells Complete Pack (-70%) - Possibly the greatest puzzle games ever created.
The Talos Principle (-75%) - The Portal apprentice that managed to surpass the master.
Snakebird (-50%) - The puzzle game that will make you doubt if you ever were smart at all.

Tizoc

Portal duology
Critically acclaimed Puzzle Adventure games. Portal 1 is shorter and is still worth playing to this day. Portal 2 is bigger and expands on the puzzle elements. The series&#8217; humor doesn&#8217;t get old and are a great way to introduce someone into video games.

The Witness
While Portal is more dynamic as it involves movement in its puzzles, The Witness takes the concept of connecting dots and designs an entire game centered around it.
The game lives up to its praise although a few of the puzzles are tricky like the sound centric ones.

Jolly Rover
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303703]I&#8217;ve written my impressions of this PnC game here[/url]
&#8195;

Assault Android Cactus
An overhead 2D twin stick shooter with flashy visuals and thousands of bullets. Can be played with up to 3 other players.

Mortal Kombat XL
MKX got re-released and this port is far better than its predecessors. Featuring a large cast and each with their own unique playstyles. Approach playing this game differently than the SF games if you&#8217;re more familiar with those.

Astebreed
A 2D shoot&#8217;em-up features mechs. Grab it if it gives you 2D Zone of Enders vibes.

Pacman series
Pacman 256 takes an interesting spin on the Pacman formula as you attempt to escape from the lower screen being dissolved due to a memory leak.
Pacman Championship edition titles contain various modes of play and twists to the traditional Pacman formula.

Toki Tori duology
Puzzle platformer/adventure games starring a cute yellow chick. These titles get discounted heavily during sales, and are def. worth checking out.

Mortal Kombat XL
MKX got re-released and this port is far better than its predecessors. Featuring a large cast and each with their own unique playstyles. Approach playing this game differently than the SF games if you’re more familiar with those.

I already have the original Mortal Kombat X on Steam. Is XL a completely new client or can I just buy the kombat packs?

Tizoc

Tembo the Badass Elephant
Has a demo!
An adventure platformer game that should be taken at a slower pace, as trying to rush through it would risk progressing through stages to become tedious. Just play it at your own pace and pref. in short/small sessions.

80 Days
A text based Adventure game inspired by ‘Around the world in 80 days’ but set in a steampunk alt. history.

The Walking Dead Telltale series
Linear Adventure games where you follow survivors trying to make it in a hostile zombie infested world.
Gameplay is pretty simplistic but it features some great characters and moments.

Ghostbusters 3
Featuring the original cast their roles, this is an action game where you play as a new recruit who joins the team as they deal with a new paranormal threat. Recommend playing on Easy as it seems Normal gives the ghosts a lot of health or something.

Assault Suit Leynos
A 2D shooting game where you pilot a mech and blow enemies up in a Gundam inspired setting.

Deathspank trilogy
Diablo clones with a more comedic theme to them. Grab them if you’re looking for more Diablo-like games in your life.

Earth Defense Force 4.1
EDF! EDF!EDF!EDF!
Stop an alien invasion teamed with some of the most cheery group of futuristic soldiers ever!
Don’t forget to sing the EDF anthem after every victory!

LEGO Batman 2
Best Superman game until Platinum make one.

Tizoc

Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Action Adventure game where you play as 4 variations of Spiderman, with Noire Spiderman being more Stealth-centric. Each Spiderman features villains from their own realities (although Deadpool is the 616-verse and only decided to take the Ultimate position just to be in the game, bless him).

Trackmania Turbo
Colorful arcade racer with 4 vehicle types with their own set of stages. Includes a stage creation mode as well. It has various offline multiplayer modes such as 2 players controling 1 vehicle among others.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves

One of SNK’s best 2D fighters and an overall easy fighting game to get into due to its simplistic system (the super meter is only used for supers for one thing). Grab it from Humblebundle as you can get the ROM for the Neo Geo game and can then use it with another emulator.

Humble Neo Geo Bundle

A collection of SNK Classics including the original King of Fighters 2002 (VIVA K9999!). The original files can be used with other emulators for a better gaming experience, and this’d be one of the most legal ways to get these games.

Driver: San Francisco (Not available on all Steam regions, get for Uplay alt.)

No need to get the deluxe edition as the regular one is enough. An underrated racing/driving game with an absurd but amusing plot and the ability to ‘Shift’ and control other cars around you. This becomes useful when you want to win a race by say…CRASHING ONCOMING CARS ONTO OPPONENTS AND WINNING BY BEING THE LAST CAR STANDING. The handling in the game will be offputting at first but if you manage to push on you’ll find a fun racing/driving game to mess around in.

TheMoon

Yeah, Shadow Tactics is the new modern standard in Commandos / Desperados-style gameplay.

It only launched a couple weeks ago, so don't expect a big discount. However, if you're into the genre you need to experience Shadow Tactics. Drop it into your Wishlist at the very least and give the Steam demo a shot.

played the demo yesterday, loved that it lets you pick EN or JP audio (even in the demo)!

Portal duology
Critically acclaimed Puzzle Adventure games. Portal 1 is shorter and is still worth playing to this day. Portal 2 is bigger and expands on the puzzle elements. The series&#8217; humor doesn&#8217;t get old and are a great way to introduce someone into video games.

The Witness
While Portal is more dynamic as it involves movement in its puzzles, The Witness takes the concept of connecting dots and designs an entire game centered around it.
The game lives up to its praise although a few of the puzzles are tricky like the sound centric ones.

man Tizoc ...HIDDEN GEMS!

Portal and The Witness :D

Tizoc

played the demo yesterday, loved that it lets you pick EN or JP audio (even in the demo)!

man Tizoc ...HIDDEN GEMS!

Portal and The Witness :D

Mind you me and DG initially intended to make a thread where GAFfers can just recommend whichever game they wanted whether it be known stuff like Portal or otherwise.
My list is just me tossing everything I like and would recommend on the table :3

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if youre going to list stuff the witness and mortal kombat X, you might aswell just post a link to the steam main page and be done with it.

How are those in the spirit of the thread?

Like, the Resident Evil games are hidden gem deals, really?

well, RE6 would count since that's a cool action game hidden inside the RE wrapper with all the wrong expectations :D

ohyou.gif

TheMoon

if youre going to list stuff the witness and mortal kombat X, you might aswell just post a link to the steam main page and be done with it.

How are those in the spirit of the thread?

Like, the Resident Evil games are hidden gem deals, really?

well, RE6 would count since that's a cool action game hidden inside the RE wrapper with all the wrong expectations :D

Javier23

Banned
Hidden gems: Pacman, Spiderman, Driver, Portal, The Witness, Lego, Resident Evil, Monkey Island, The Walking Dead, Mortal Kombat, Ghostbusters...

lol

Javier23

Banned
And yet my incredible and well detailed Trillion post goes unloved and unnoticed. Hmm.
Saw "top tier waifus" and didn't bother with it since that killed my interest in the game, but you did put in a decent amount of work and, unlike Tizoc, you were indeed talking about a game I doubt most of us have ever heard about :)

Can't link right now because I am at work and Steam is not loading but I still wanted to share some games I like (I believe someone already mentioned Hand of Fate).

header.jpg

Victor Vran - Kickass Isometric Action RPG

header.jpg

Deathtrap - Neocore Games took the Tower Defense mode from Van Helsing 2 and made it into a standalone game. Also kickass.

header.jpg

Abyss Odyssey - An oldie but goodie from one of my favorite Indie devs, ACE Team. It's a side-scroll brawler with some nice Chilean folklore and Harry Clarke inspired art. Also kickass.

I had Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 and 4 on my wishlist for a while. Was able to grab them in a bundle today for 95 cents. Hell. Yes.

You missed my post on page 2:

^_^

God dammit, GAF Mobile doesn't highlight responses to my posts for me to eye catch and I always forget that and miss responses. Well thank you very much for reading and giving it a shot!

Saw "top tier waifus" and didn't bother with it since that killed my interest in the game, but you did put in a decent amount of work and, unlike Tizoc, you were indeed talking about a game I doubt most of us have ever heard about :)

If that jokey line, which is immediately followed by a sentence saying I'm being facetious and occurs halfway through my diatribe, is enough to turn people off immediately without reading a single sentence further then I'll just remove the damn thing.

Hey man I was gonna get it this sale but your post got me more excited for it ;)

Well good!

I love the sound of everything in the game...except the aesthetic

Lol like you ain't played a ton of games you disliked the looks of to get to the good game underneath.

But seriously, yeah, it's pretty anime as fuck with low budget poly models. If you dislike the Disgaea artist designs you'll see a hell of a lot of it in this game. Honestly i love that person's art and really like a number of the designs in this game because I'm weeaboo trash but if you don't it'll be super unappealing. Is what it is.

Underboob is my social justice Kryptonite.

Most of my recommendations have already been mentioned, I think.

Hand of Fate scratches an itch I never knew I had. A card-based roguelike with Arkham style combat? SOLD SOLD SOLD. Rounds are 10-30 minutes and you have a lot of control over how hard you want the game to be, with rewards to match.

Rebel Galaxy steals Assassins Creed's boat combat and puts it in space, with a functional trading/economy and lots of quests to take on. Finds a good balance between being engaging and not going too far down the sim route, so it's fun to jump in and clear a few quests.

Steamworld Heist is at $10 and it's easily worth that. 2D Xcom. Don't let the pleasant cartoon graphics fool you - the difficulty levels are perfectly pitched. You'll escape by the skin of your teeth and it'll feel great. Polished to a sheen, great music, all around the best that indie games represent.

Whoa. That looks amazing. I wish I was good at these types of games.

I'm not great at top down shooters either but I had a great time with Android Assault Cactus. Good difficulty curve, and doesn't punish bad gamers. Worth picking up.

Wozman23

What about fun couch co op games? Any ones like that on sale?

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime $7.49 (50% off)
header.jpg

It was one GOTY last year. I played it solo with the AI companion. It was 1-2 players, but it has been patched to allow up to 4 players now. It's a really cool concept, where you run around your little 'death star' ship in a gorgeous, neon space. You man different weapons, a shield, or the engine that are stationed around the ship. You can also chose to upgrade each station with different gems that give different abilities, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. It never got quite as frenetic as I was hoping, but that may be because I was more methodical playing solo. I bet it's a blast with a friend or three.

ibb & obb $4.07 (66% off)
header.jpg

It's another one I played solo, (I'm gonna die alone and penniless.) which is a completely different multitasking challenge than playing in co-op. You play as two little gumdrop with feet that have to switch back and forth between the gravity fields, using each other and momentum to overcome obstacles. The art style is beautifully minimalist and the puzzle design is well executed.

Creeper World 3. -67%, $4.94 Something between RTS and tower defense. Push back against the "creep" and take out the things generating it. There's a campaign which keeps introducing new bits of gameplay, then hundreds of extra maps on the side.

ss_26a1bd5fcc06bddf11ba9788b02cf5818a7a4274.600x338.jpg

They've also recently added Anniversary Editions of the game's predecessors to Steam, but I haven't tried them yet and being pretty new they're not heavily discounted, so barely cheaper than 3 at present.

TI82

Banned
Sorry if this has been posted already but this game is S O C O O L

header.jpg

In Crawl it's a 4 player local dungeon crawler like many many games before it. But the twist is that only one person is a hero the rest are ghosts that can haunt objects and also possess monsters. Whichever ghost player kills the hero player that ghost becomes the hero and so on. The point of the game is to get to level 10 and kill a GOD first.

Awesome graphics and music, fun simple controls and local multiplayer. I got it for like $5 on the humble shop and I think it's that much on steam.

Some gifs to show it in action:

test17b.gif

vicotry.gif

ADS

And yet my incredible and well detailed Trillion post goes unloved and unnoticed. Hmm.

FWIW your post made me buy the game. I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic, but I'm a sucker for anything that makes me build up characters, get to know them, then kill them horribly if I make a mistake.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Replica is a pretty neat little game about fascism and hacking a cell phone. It's short but sweet and costs only 2€ right now.
On my tablet so I can't link but check it out.

Top Bottom