• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; It has one of the best endings ever. Gave me feels.
2. Doom ; Surprise of the year. Best FPS I've played in a decade.
3. Unravel ; The most beautiful game of the year. Also gave me feels.
4. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst ; Hardcore parkour. Great aesthetics.
5. Titanfall 2 ; MP game of the year.
6. Hyper Light Drifter ; Lovely art, great level design and combat.
7. Ratchet and Clank ; Fun cartoony shooter.
8. Super Mario Run ; Can't believe a mobile game is one of my favorite games of the year.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Last Guardian ; A game I've been waiting for since forever. Turned out to be a disappointment. But that's ok. Everything is ok.

Jopie

1. Bound ; A beautiful game that showcases how good a game can look in VR. An emotional experience that can hold its own with classics like Journey. I have spent a dozen hours in the photo mode alone just taking screenshot after screenshot.
2. Thumper ; A rhythm game that looks like it takes place in a fever dream of the devil. The perfect balance between "I give up it is too hard" and "just one more turn, I know I can beat it."
3. DOOM ; A perfect modernization of a classic series. White knuckle action from start to finish with an amazing soundtrack.
4. Rez Infinite ; VR provides the best way to play one of the best games ever. Area X is a great new addition.
5. ABZU ; I bought it because I wanted to play a pretty ocean game. I kept playing because that pretty ocean game became so much more.
6. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 ; After a few releases that were not very good, this game provided volleyball that was really close to the original. I spent way, way too many hours playing this game.
7. VR Playroom ; Robot Rescue provides the blue print on how to do 3D platforming in VR. Other games are perfect for local multiplayer and get everyone in the room involved, even those who wont put on the headset.
8. Until Dawn Rush of Blood ; The best game to play with a large group of people. Put the headset on, start level 2, and then start filming. After the person playing screams and jumps, play the video back to them so everyone can laugh. Horror for the player, comedy for everyone else in the room. Great fun.
9. Forza Horizon 3 ; The best open world racing game ever made.
10. Job Simulator ; Eat a rotten donut, then throw up. Pick up a stapler and then throw it. Make a copy of a plant, and then another, and then another. Make fire extinguisher soup. A lot of real dumb fun.

Jtrizzy

1. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Solid gunplay, great engine combined with consistent art style creates a beautiful game. MMO lite done well.
2. Stardew Valley ; Relaxing yet addictive. A great break from AAA gaming.
3. Titanfall 2 ; Kick ass campaign, and great controls.
4. The Last Guardian ; Amazing atmosphere, and groundbreaking AI
5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Great pacing, most impressive game graphically pc or console, dialogue and voice acting are unparalleled in games.
6. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 ; ARPG lite, great performance/port
7. Firewatch ; dialogue and writing is fantastic. Another great escape from AAA shooters.
8. Abzû ; Beautiful art and solid controls.

Wish Dishonored 2 wasn't broken on PC, or I think I'd have that near the top.

1. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest ; After Fates was released in Japan, gamers in the United States had to wait an excruciating eight months for its release here. This was by far my most anticipated game of 2016. There were a lot of pre-release shenanigans that threatened to sabotage this games release.

The first controversy was the game's localization. The game had some questionable name change choices, and there were some reports of censored content. The game was indeed gutted a bit, but the removed swimsuit costumes and face petting proved to be very minor in the long run. Nintendo's localization decisions are still troubling, and have probably had bigger impact on other titles.

The other controversy was the very scarce availability of the Special Edition. Unlike the localization, this one still stings for me. I gave up on trying to find a package, so I just picked up the Conquest game and downloaded the additional paths along the road.

Now onto the actual game!

Conquest was ultimately worth the wait. It addressed virtually all of the Awakening's gameplay deficiencies, and the gameplay is the new gold standard for the Fire Emblem series. The set of maps this time around is just phenomenal. I completed a playthrough on the highest difficulty after a few regular runs. It was absolutely brutal, but unlike Awakening, it was actually properly designed and fair this time around.

This was my most played game of the year by far, and I will be coming back for more until the next Fire Emblem comes out.

The game is also fantastic from an audiovisual standard. The soundtrack is exquisite, and is probably the best I've ever heard in a FE game. The game runs very smooth, supports 3D well (though I don't turn it on), and has some pretty cool character designs.

The story had a really great premise, but it unfortunately failed the execution due to some very poor writing. That blemish still did very little to ruin my fantastic experience with the game.

2. 7th Dragon III: Code VFD ; This was the second game that I picked up this year. When this game was announced for release in the United States, I was immediately intrigued because this would be my first chance to experience the 7th Dragon series. I had heard great things about the earlier Japan-only game on DS and the PSP sequels. The pre-release trailers got me hyped.

Code VFD's quality was not really much of a surprise for me, since this is a niche game after all. I knew exactly what to expect from it, and it delivered what I was looking.

This game was a very quiet release, but it is no less worthy of gamers' time than other games released this year.

7th Dragon III: Code VFD has wonderful mechanics. Its classes are amazingly designed, fun to play with, and basically any party setup is viable. The game has some pretty tough boss fights that require pre-battle preparation and strategy, but it is certainly not grindy. My only real complaint is that the mobs are not threatening at all. The overall difficulty of the game is still pretty good just because of the True Dragons and the post-game content.

The game's story is mostly bog standard anime, but it is elevated by very charming characters and impressive late-game twists. When it was over, it actually ended up being quite a memorable experience.

If you can't play this game, check out the OST. The tunes are gorgeous.

3. Pokemon Sun ; Before this released, there were signs that Gamefreak were possibly correcting the sins of its 6th gen predecessors. The Alola region was ditching Pokemon gyms completely, and numerous other features were setting this game up to be one of the freshest Pokemon titles in years. However, I still had some uncertainties, particular around the game's difficulty. I still picked up Sun, especially since I already picked up all of my other anticipated games.

The game surpassed my expectations. The main story was honestly phenomenal, and I almost thought that I would never get that from a Pokemon game. Every Pokemon game is successful at introducing meaningful mechanics and enhancing the PVP experience, but Sun delivered in the area where it really counted for me.

I just love so much about this game. The characters are great, the Totem fights are challenging, and the region is fun to explore! The new Pokemon designs are pretty nice, though I still the expect the metagame to be dominated by many of the same Pokemon and Mega Evolutions from the last few generations. Thankfully, the Tapu Guardians and Ultra Beasts provide some balance.

Pokemon Sun is a great Pokemon title, and it really revitalized the series for me.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Pokemon GO ; Pokemon GO was a pretty big phenomenon, and I stuck with it even during the period where it basically died down. I haven't played a dedicated session since the Halloween event, and my play has been extremely causal ever since. I have had equal amounts of frustration and joy from playing this game, but the experience is one of a kind. I still hope that I can get those last two remaining entries for the Kanto Pokedex!

Dragon Quest VII and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse would have easily made this list, but I simply never got around to removing the shrink wrap off of these games. I literally did not get anything else, but Bravely Second and Kirby: Planet Robobot will be picked up some point in the far future. I'm still very salty about the digital only Rhythm Heaven Megamix release, but I might just suck it up and get that one, too.

Aaron D.

1. Stephen's Sausage Roll ; SSR gets my GOTY vote because it presented a devious puzzle experience, delivered in a lovingly distilled package. The puzzles are quite simple in presentation, yet maddening deliberate in execution. You can't brute-force these guys, there's ONE solution. The "ah-ha!" moment of discovery is sublime. Bonus props for the inspired lo-fi audio/visual presentation. This is also the first of several one-man-show selections this year, and it shines through as SSR captured my imagination with its singular vision and purpose of design. Making me realize the beautiful possibilities of a single mind can bring about.

2. RimWorld ; I always wanted to get into Dwarf Fortress. The promises of bottomless depth enticed, but the abstract ASCII presentation always eluded me. Enter RimWorld. A promise of DF-lite with actual gosh-darn graphics to ease in DF wannabes. I love the whole setting of this colony sim. Crash-landed and stranded on a lonely yet hostile planet creates great opportunities for primitive to advanced tech development. And micromanaging these little guys is just a blast. The level of minutia between the two is in turns daunting and breathtaking. Another solo-developer game that I absolutely loved this year.

3. Farming Simulator 17 ; Released biennially, FS is the Madden of my world. Every two years I eagerly queue up in line for the latest installment. And every time I wonder if this will be the year FS falls off of my Top 10 list. Not for lack of enthusiasm, but more for dealing in known quantities. After all, the discipline deals in unmoving parts. Farming is farming is farming. And yet here we are, with FS17 appearing in the winner's circle. I think a lot of this is due to how each new release manages to surprise me in its qualitative leap over the previous installment. This year's model is drop-dead gorgeous, with a ton of smart improvements, both fundamental and QoL. For example, this year you can take on jobs for neighboring farmers, using their equipment in the process. This lets the player pilot advanced machinery from the start, equipment costing hundreds of thousands that would have been late-game investments in the past. In the end FS17 winds up feeling like a smart evolution of the franchise and showcases a dev committed to delivering above and beyond.

4. Stellaris ; Leave it to Paradox to take their masterclass grand-strat roots, liberally mix in 4X elements, and ship an amazing strategy hybrid set in space. This is the most approachable I've ever seen the company. While Paradox is known for intimidating learning curves, Stellaris super noob-friendly. I think this is part of what makes the game so much fun for me. While CK & EU feel incredibly tactical & cerebral, Stellaris feels far more freewheeling and loose. To me it says, "Let's just have some fun." Not lacking in depth, but more "gamey" than most Paradox titles. Bonus props to an amazing production package. Gorgeous visuals (in 3D!!), smart UI, and one of the best soundtracks of the year. Stellaris (year one) is an exciting foundation and I can't wait to see where it goes with future DLC.

5. DOOM ; As Doom 1 & 2 stand cemented into my Top 5 GOAT, it's hard to imagine how a sequel can live up to those lofty standards set decades ago. But as I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more this season, Doom 2016 somehow managed to do it. An uncompromising return to roots that captures the liquid speed of the originals, not to mention the blistering carnage. I think this is the secret-sauce for Doom's success. Instead of grafting classic Doom elements on top of modern genre-design sensibilities, id Software did the exact opposite. They stuck with Doom 1 & 2 fundamentals and built a modern game around those simple, sound principles. Doom just fires on all cylinders and makes me want to fist-pump the air unlike anything I've played in years. Another game that deserves special music recognition, in this case for its face-melting soundtrack. Now that's how you dial in audio-presentation with gameplay.

6. Duskers ; Chalk up yet another one-man production. Duskers tasks you with piloting drones through derelict spaceships using command-line interface navigation. The whole presentation has a retro look and feel to it. I've always thought it felt like being a Nostromo nav-officer from the first Alien movie. The audio design in the game is superb, hearing the ships creak & groan as your drones whiz and buzz about. It gives this lonely, detached vibe that is creepy as hell, keeping in tone with the game's themes of unraveling the mystery of why this corner of the galaxy is dead. The command-line interface gives Duskers a unique feel. While I know it's a game, typing in the commands feels immersive and authentic. Far more than traditional control methods. It helps make the game feel special & uncommon.

7. Hitman ; My love for the franchise started with Hitman 2 (Xbox) over a decade ago. I just couldn't shut up about that damn game back in the day. Oddly, none of the subsequent titles grabbed me much at all. Even the crowd favorite Blood Money. Enter Hitman 2016. Man. This is not only a return to form, but easily the best Hitman to date. The episodic release schedule created an environment where the devs squeezed every last bit of content out of each level in the form of Challenges, Escalation Mission, timed Elusive Targets and more. It just went to prove that almost anything was possible in a sandbox Hitman level, the only barrier being your imagination. With so many goals, so much content, Hitman proved to be 2016's Completionist's dream come true and OCD's nightmare. Also loved the level of difficulty customization, where you could pick as much or as little intel the game telegraphs your way. Great way to invite newcomers while respecting franchise vets.

8. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Continuing with the Silent Assassin theme, Shadow Tactics sneaks in like a ninja with my Dec. eleventh-hour nom. Last time this happened was a couple years ago when Talos Principle (12/11/14) made a last-minute appearance. In much the same way, Shadow Tactics came straight out of nowhere and knocked my socks off. I wasn't following development at all, I just read somewhere that I should check out the demo. That's all it took. Looks like the classic Commandos franchise. Feels like Mark of the Ninja. Shadow Tactics is a joy to play. Levels are large and sprawling, many taking several hours to complete. Opportunities abound for multiple paths to victory. It's a great balance of puzzle-like noodling in a big sandbox environment. Simply brilliant in look & execution. Bonus props for the full Japanese audio dialogue option. Double secret-probation bonus props for the seemingly superfluous but essential "X since your last QuickSave" on-screen timer.

9. Crusader Kings II: The Reaper's Due ; In introducing the Black Death to the world of CK2, Paradox have hit their stride in delivering some of the most entertaining story events I've seen yet. It's truly depraved. The Prosperity mechanic is a welcome addition on the gameplay side. It really is a joy to see substantive content delivered regularly to Paradox's legacy IP. It makes the games feel larger than life when taken as a whole.

10. Alto's Adventure ; Alto's is a simple side-scrolling skiing game on iOS. This one is all about the Zen. Whether it's the liquid smooth animations, scroll-speeds and controls. Or the top-flight presentation, watching the background cycle through the red-golden hues of sunsets to the royal blues of the night sky and back around to the white-pink of the coming sunrise is magical. It's completely hypnotic, and the perfect companion for daily metrorail commutes. The perfect podcast game. Ideal for waking up for or winding down from work.

I wish there were more than 10 slots:

Bus Simulator 16
Stardew Valley
Doug dug.
Software Inc.

I wish there were more time to evaluate (aka 2017's Best games of 2016):

Tyranny
House of the Dying Sun
Civilization VI
DiRT Rally

Favorite 2016 trend: Soundtracks!

I was absolutely blown away with the quality of game soundtracks this year. I've purchased more in the last 12 months than in the last 5 years combined.

Personal standouts:

Doom
RimWorld
Stellaris
Stardew Valley

Most Anticipated 2017:

Oxygen Not Included - Klei Entertainment's take on the Colony Management Sim?

Yes, Please!!

Brix

1. Uncharted 4 ; Best game to close a series, great gameplay, great story, amazing graphics, and one of the best endings in gaming history.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; Amazing action rpg with great gameplay, good characters, and one of the best endings in final fantasy history.

3. Dark Souls 3 ; A good action rpg with great boss battles and a lot of different weapons/builds to play with.

4. Street Fighter V ; This game was light on content during it's initial launch but still had great combat. As of now it's one of my favorite fighters in history with amazing combat mechanics.

Tainted

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Well deserved #1 for me, amazing in every way
2. Firewatch ; This game really struck a chord for me simply because of the timing of it during my life. The sense of isolation this game invoked at the time was surreal and poignant
3. FIFA 17 ; Great football game as always but the journey elevated it this year.
4. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Despite its shortcomings, thoroughly enjoyed my time with it
5. Mafia III ; I would have loved to see this one top my list this year as I was looking forward to it for so long...but it was a disappointment in alot of ways. The open world and atmosphere was terrific though which sees it make my top 5

Honorable Mentions

x. The Witness ; Unique experience for sure, but didn't make the cut as I found the puzzles to be a bit repetitive / frustrating
x. The Walking Dead: Michonne ; Quality adventure from TTG as always but nothing groundbreaking
x. Doom ; Good game but disappointed me in alot of ways, mostly due to the enemy encounters and floaty movement.
x. American Truck Simulator ; Disappointing at launch but deserves a mention after the re-scale to make it more in line with ETS2
x. Enter the Gungeon ; Harked by many as the 'Binding of Isaac Killer'...it doesn't quite meet that lofty standard, but a bit of fun nonetheless

Amazing year.

1. Ori and the blind forest-Definitive Edition ; Best visuals in any game, amazing gameplay, very fun, and very emotional. Challenges you to get better. Absolutely love this game. Games like this are the reason I still play games.
2. Inside ; surprising, beautiful, smart and haunting. This game is like your favorite cookie. Short and sweet, and very memorable.
3. DOOM ; the original doom was my first real pc game and I haven't stopped since. The new version was very likely to fail bc of hype. It turned out to be the years biggest surprise. So much FUN.
4. Battlefield 1 ; all I ever wanted from a war game.
5. FFXV ; flawed but still a final fantasy game, and a good one at that.
6. Firewatch ; ending was a letdown but every second there was fantastic. Great graphics to boot.

1. Hitman ; Remember that Mardi Gras map from Blood Money? It was a particularly large map, full of people roaming the streets, with multiple targets to take out and countless ways to do so. Well, now imagine if they took that map's idea, expanded upon it, and made an entire Hitman game with six of those massive maps - you pretty much have the basic gist of this year's Hitman game. It's stuffed with replay value thanks to a myriad of unlockables and tons of live content. Elusive Targets are of particular note, as they are single-life, limited-time missions that force you to be careful and to scout out the target's route. It's a thrilling challenge, and the developers actually took the time out to give each Elusive Target a unique story and voice-work.
2. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; The series returns to handhelds with a fantastic "Best Of" collection! It's filled with rhythm-based goodness, with a lengthy campaign, tons of unlockables, and a fun Streetpass mini-game. Plus, as someone who has been a fan since the GBA original, it was comforting to see those levels in particular remade.
3. Dragon Quest Builders ; At first glance, you might think that this is just a quick Minecraft cash-in, but you'd be wrong. By making it more focused on linear progression via quests and stuffing it with Dragon Quest's unique character, the developers have created a crafting game that's quite addictive in its own right. Each chapter/town has its own unique progression and story, leading up to an epic boss fight with a great evil that is tormenting the land. But even outside of the main progression, it's still fun to build up your town, upgrade rooms, and explore the wide variety lands for items and materials.
4. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse ; A wonderful sequel that refines SMTIV's mechanics while expanding on its world. Battles and negotiations can go by faster thanks to new skills, while still maintaining a reasonable difficulty curve, and the cast of characters is more interesting than that of its predecessor, especially with the introduction of "third-way" factions like Dagda and the Divine Powers. A must-have if you enjoyed SMTIV.
5. Pocket Card Jockey ; Horse-racing combined with Solitaire probably sounds like one of the strangest ideas out there, but this game manages to pull it off with style. It manages to make Solitaire into a thrilling experience, and it wears its weird ideas on its sleeve, as you'll see with the memorable intro cinematic. Perfect for quick-play sessions and incredibly addictive.
6. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice ; A wonderful improvement over Dual Destinies, with a better story and more gameplay systems to play with, some new, some returning. Perhaps most importantly, it finally gives Apollo a full character arc that he really didn't get in the previous two games.
7. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; Probably the best that Pokemon has been in a while, with a much-needed shake-up of its structure and the streamlining of some of the series' more archaic elements, mainly the replacement of HMs with on-call utility Pokemon. The new Alolan forms of existing Pokemon are pretty neat too.
8. Monster Hunter Generations ; It's a greatest hits compilation of areas from previous games, enhanced with features from the later games, that still manages to make some major changes. Super Moves and Styles provide a simple, yet interesting twist on combat. Admittedly, I still prefer MH4U in some aspects, but the added ability in MHG to gather/carve multiple times without interruption by holding the button is a wonderful Quality-of-Life improvement.
9. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past ; A nice total remake of a truly massive (content-wise) classic.
10. Downwell ; A seemingly simple vertical-shooter that can be quite addictive, as it requires quite a bit of skill to truly master.

x. American Truck Simulator ; It's more ETS2, set in the Southwestern United States. There's still nothing quite like flying across the open road, listening to tunes from actual Internet radio stations, trying to get your haul to the destination on time.
x. Sega 3D Classics Collection ; Hats off to M2 for all of their 3D Classics. Not only do these make the best use of the 3DS' 3D capabilities, they have a bunch of new modes and features, increasing the replay value of each game and/or attempting to bring the game closer to the arcade experience.
x. Mega Man Legacy Collection ; While it doesn't reach the heights set by the above collection, I'll still give the devs some props for making this the best way to play these 6 games on the 3DS. Most of them play mostly perfectly, with Mega Man 5 being the only glaring exception due to some weird choppiness. But even that's not a big deal, since the collection also includes all of the Rockman games, and Rockman 5 plays almost perfectly. Better visual and gameplay quality than the VC releases, neat features like the art galleries and challenge gauntlets, and the inclusion of both the Japanese and Western releases make this collection a must-have for Mega Man fans.
x. Bravely Second: End Layer ; It's more Bravely job system goodness, with some gameplay improvements to keep things interesting. The story and structure seems neat so far, but admittedly, I haven't put as much time into this as I wanted to, otherwise, it probably would have made my main list.
x. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; I probably came away from this liking it a bit more than most. When I first started the game, I didn't care much for the weird motion comic animation style and some of the new characters seemed dull, but I grew to like the animation style, and one of those new characters, as the game went on. I guess the game's biggest problem is that its ambitions far outstrip its budget, as the ending in particular seems hastily put-together, with some groan-worthy word choices, and important character arcs having their resolutions shoved into some obscure in-game encyclopedia entries that unlock post-ending. Still, I appreciated various moments throughout the story, including one particularly emotional "bad" ending that really expanded the depth and motives of two characters.

Aaron D., I don't think RimWorld will count, since it's Early Access

Rest of the list is awesome though. I have quite a few of the same games on my list

jeffram

1. Uncharted 4 ; best combat in the series and an absolute technical and artistic marvel
2. The Last Guardian ; still managed to be unique and surprising after all this time
3. Titanfall 2 ; Best FPS action campaign in a long time
4. Hitman ; I don't know if other Hitman games have been good, but this one certainly is.
5. Playstation VR Worlds ; the ocean descent and London heist sold many of my friends and family on VR
6. Thumper ; Rythm Violence is my new favourite genre
7. Battlefield 1 ; String Campaign with incredible and still ambitious Multiplayer
8. Headmaster ; The portal of VR games
9. Tom Clancy's The Division ; very flawed but fun for longer than most games last
10. The Witness ; What an amazing and creative puzzle game. I can't even comprehend how it was made.

1. Doom ; So much fun to play
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; First Uncharted game I've played, really well done
3. Battlefield 1 ; Campaign was awesome but short
4. MLB The Show 16 ; Just about everything you'd want in a modern baseball game
5. Final Fantasy XV ; Flawed but I love it
6. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Got tired of it fast but was stellar the first time through.....before the grinding
7. Pokemon Go ; Still enjoy playing it, great game to play while on a walk

I have No Man's Sky, Last Guardian, Tomb Raider in my backlog but probably won't get to them before the year is over; also would probably put Civ 6 high on my list if I had played it, I'm sure it's awesome but I'm waiting for price drops/DLC

I hope witness wins that category of love, the one where for those that mentioned the game on the list it got the highest spot on average.

I can't see how anyone who loves puzzles and exploration can't be head over heels on that game. It's design should be legendary, it should be studied.

DrArchon

1. Stardew Valley ; Easily the game with the most charm, heart, and love poured into it that I've played in ages.
2. Overwatch ; A masterpiece of a multiplayer FPS.
3. Monster Hunter Generations ; It's more MonHun, but now with Super Moves.
4. Darkest Dungeon ; Could be on the list for the narrator alone.
5. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; The re-invigoration of the formula that the series needed.
6. Sunless Sea Zubmariner Expansion ; I will never stop shilling for this game.
7. Hyper Light Drifter ; As gorgeous as it is brutal.
8. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice ; Clever writing and a neat gameplay addition elevate this one above Dual Destinies.
9. Pokken Tournament ; A fun cast and solid netcode made this my fighting game of choice for 2016

cheesekao

1. Uncharted 4 ; Best gameplay of the series and the addition of the rope makes for some fun and silly ways to tackle combat situations.

2. The Last Guardian ; As archaic as some of the elements of the game may be, the game is unique experience and stands out from the usual AAA crowd. A healthy does of polishing could have done this game wonders but the what we have now is still an amazing experience.

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 ; I really liked the first Cold Steel but it was pretty rough around the edges. Cold Steel 2 manages to improve several aspects of the first game and the story and cast was much more interesting.

4. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ; It's probably one of the best 2D side scrolling brawlers I've ever played and the art is as Vanillaware as ever (read: fantastic).

5. Final Fantasy XV ; While it did not meet my expectations, it's still a pretty great game. It would've placed higher if it had a more coherent story and QOL improvements.

6. Dark Souls 3 ; It's more Dark Souls. It's a shame that it was a pretty safe sequel as Bloodborne shook the formula up enough to make it familiar yet different.

7. Monster Hunter Generations ; Like Dark Souls 3, it's a safe sequel. The gameplay loop is still fun and all but I can't help but feel like there's less new content this time around.

Vanadium

1. Dark Souls 3: Failure matters again. Not the best Souls game and not the most original, but my favorite game of the year. After six playthroughs over PC and PS4, this was the game that MOST respected my time this year.

2. Titanfall 2: By far the most fun online, I’ve had all year. The matches are the PERFECT length. There is never a dull moment and you are always progressing. My “Devotion” is Northstar 4life. Love is a BTlefield

3. Fire Emblem: Fates: Another game where failure matters. Though X-Com offers perhaps deeper systems, Fire Emblem still feels like the friend you want on the desert island. Or at least on a flight to Japan.

4. Civilization 6: The options never stop. It’s back to Civ 3 days of “one more turn” and you find yourself awake at 5am with empty packages of skittles waiting for the endgame to play out.

5. Thumper: In particular in PSVR, this is the surprise of the year I never saw coming. The pulse of the game is real, even if the difficulty spikes come without proper ramping. I love being “in” there.

6. Dishonored 2: It’s buggy as heck, you can beat it again in about an hour or two after you know the way, but it’s still a great ride if you go quietly into that good night or loudly too. Who needs The Witness when you when you can try a hand at that damn that Jindosh riddle?

7. Superhot: Short and sweet. With tactile shooting pleasures not seen elsewhere. It’s the one most left me wishing for more: in the best way possible.

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: deeply flawed story wise but improvements over HR abound: it offers zero peers when it comes to a digital playground. Tricky situations and endless solutions.

9. Destiny: Rise of Iron: The old girl still has life in her yet. Whatever lapses and brevity in the story missions and near broken Crucible, Wrath of the Machines my favorite raid yet and it put Destiny back on the map.

10. Doom: it goes on too long, but this is the game that proved you don’t need kill streaks, Golden Guns, invisible shields, Blue Shells, loot boxes or bird dog monsters to have fun. Doom isn’t really old school, it’s just going back to the school that we’ve been ditching and should have shown up to years ago.

Is a multiplayer game with micro-transactions going to win Gaf GOTY the same year that a new Uncharted and The Last Guardian came out?

That would be something...

J 0 E

1. Uncharted 4 ; A spectacular package with a new standard on presentation + solid gameplay, ND's best game ever.

2. The Last Guardian ; A masterpiece only Ueda and his team can make.

3. DOOM ; Shooter of the year, id achieved the impossible.

4. Dishonored 2 ; Great depth and world design (the best in the business) + brilliant art direction and music.

5. Street Fighter V ; The Best fighting game ever, deep and balanced characters and mechanics.

6. Overwatch ; Never thought I'd enjoy a hero shooter / mp only game .. Blizzard did it.

7. Titanfall 2 ; The campaign that I asked for in the first and a lot more, COD killer right here.

8. Battlefield 1 ; The best big scale shooter + unbelievable graphics

9. INSIDE ; An unforgettable experience considering its size compared with the other AAA games

10. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; A great conclusion to Geralt's saga, an expansion that's better than full games.

Honorable mentions

Dark Souls III
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
Forza Horizon 3

1. Doom ; Return of the King! id knocked this one out of the park, even the credits are awesome.
2. Dark Souls III ; The good: it's more Dark Souls. The bad: it's just more Dark Souls.
3. Salt and Sanctuary ; It took me two tries to get into this one, but in the end I was left wanting more.
4. Chronos ; A rare game that extracted an immediate second playthrough from me. This would be a good game outside of VR, but the immersion adds a lot.
5. Resident Evil 4 ; Because why not? It was released again this year, and only the fact that I've played through it uncounted times keeps it from being number one.
6. Titanfall 2 ; Only popped up on my radar after I heard it had a good campaign. And I concur. Best FPS campaign since...Doom.
7. Arizona Sunshine ; This would be a stinker of a game outside of VR. But in VR, you have to aim. Actually aim - close one eye, use the sights, and have actual steady hands, not virtual ones. That turns a ho-hum game with just no bosses or enemy variety into a wipe-the-sweat-off-my-brow-oh-wait-I-can't-I'm-wearing-VR-goggles thriller.
8. Song of the Deep ; Seems no one liked this but me. It's a fun twist on the Metroidvania genre, I don't see what's not to like.
9. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse ; I hope Half-Genie hero is this good, too.
10. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes ; The most fun way to start an argument I found all year.

Honorable mention:
x. AM2R: Return of Samus ; not eligible, or it'd be in my 10. Thank goodness this got out in the wild before Nintendo cracked down on people making the games that they refuse to make themselves.

Linkyn

uncharted4olzo7.jpg

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The competition wasn't exactly fierce on my end this year, but even if the other contenders had been more worthy of the praise, I doubt anything could have come close to Uncharted 4 for me. I've written at length on several occasions about the many reasons I felt so drawn into it, and getting to see Naughty Dog's work on a current gen machine was more than worth finally getting a PS4.

I do believe that the game's pacing suffers from its partial over-reliance on exposition, but there are so many genuinely touching character moments woven into the narrative that I can forgive its failings. The added toolset and larger environments add greatly to the feel of platforming and make enemy encounters much more dynamic and interesting (I especially like the improved stealth system). Above all though, A Thief's End is a sight to behold. I couldn't possibly count all the moments the game left me in complete awe, be it because of beautifully rendered environments, near-lifelike character movement and animation, a completely over-the-top destruction sequence (I pretty much burst out laughing after the clock tower puzzle because of the sheer ridiculousness of its conclusion), or the tension that is continuously built and maintained by the narrative's tone.

In many ways, Naughty Dog have once again defined the new standard for video game presentation. I knew going into this year that few games could hope to compete with Uncharted 4 for GotY, and with Zelda getting delayed yet again, I doubt anything's going to do it now. I'll keep playing more games before the deadline (insofar as my schedule allows it), but unless something drastic happens, nothing else could take that top spot this year.

wowlegionewyyd.jpg

2. World of Warcraft: Legion ; Given the number of hours I sunk into Legion, it would be highly disingenuous not to list it here. Looking back, I was really not happy with Warlords of Draenor (mostly because of the relative persistence of its content drought almost immediately after launch), and so wasn't overly excited about Legion, either (through a combination of my disappointment with WoD and the subjectively less interesting expansion premise).

I've let my subscription lapse again since the Legion launch, but I always anticipated that (I tend to play for a few months after launch and then stop, either because I don't have a serious raid group, or because I do, and am burnt out by the schedule). This time, I decided to join up with a few people I passingly knew irl, so that helped tremendously with the social aspects of the game, and as much as I like being a lone wanderer, cooperative play is where this game truly shines. There's nothing quite like finally downing a raid boss as a team through a combination of strategy, determination, and sheer force of will after long nights of getting your collective ass handed to you. Since I'm no longer active, I only got to experience the Emerald Nightmare and Trial of Valor, but they were a lot of fun to progress through.

Still, my favourite moments in the game probably stem from the quieter, more explorative elements, I love the early phase in an expansion where there's tons of stuff to do, be it pushing reputations, raising your profession skills, progressing through max level quest chains, etc. My favourite aspect this time around is easily the Nightfallen storyline in Suramar (Suramar also being my favourite zone on the Broken Isles, by far). I loved exploring Suramar City and the way the many initially optional objectives throughout the zone end up bringing you closer to your goal, and the Waning Crescent and Bazaar reminded me of Assassin's Creed's Venice in all the best ways. Order halls, while still not a great system, are nevertheless a huge step up from the Draenor garrisons, and the campaigns are genuinely interesting to play through. To be honest, the only thing that drags down daily gameplay is the world quest system, which doesn't feel nearly rewarding enough for the amount of time and nerves you need to invest at times.

It's a shame I won't get to play through the Nighthold and further Legion content the way it's intended to be experienced, but I simply have too much going on in my life to be glued to an MMO. Despite the fun I've had in the first 2-3 months after launch, there was little keeping me after my raid group disbanded.

papermariocolorsplasheeapg.jpg

3. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; Like many, I was midly sceptical towards this latest installment in the Paper Mario series when it was announced. The franchise has suffered somewhat in quality since its high days 10-15 years ago, and Wii U releases haven't all been great these past 2 years. That said, Color Splash is a ton to play. It's a shame that everything other than Toads and enemies seems to have been banished from the extended Mushroom Kingdom, but the better-developed Toad characters still work surprisingly well. Other than that, the game's aesthetic is positively beautiful, and level progression and exploration feel appropriately rewarding. I especially like the mild backtracking that's woven into the story's progression. My one main gripe with the game is its combat system. Using depletable cards doesn't add a lot in terms of resource management other than forcing you to run back to town every so often, using abilities feels unnecessarily slow, and most importantly, the frequent battles really tend to break up the rhythm of the overall game after a while. That said, it's still well worth checking out, and a decent way to send off the Wii U (since I'll probably be buying the Switch version of Zelda, Color Splash is likely going to be my final Wii U game).

fireemblemfatesthzof.jpg

4. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; It's Fire Emblem, so it's both insanely frustrating and incredibly stimulating. I like the strategic elements and group building, but a lot of the circumferential systems make the game feel overly bloated. I had a lot of trouble finishing Awakening because the game doesn't sufficiently push you forward, and the same problem exists here. The main characters have become increasingly one-dimensional in the latest games, and giving you effectively two full squads has reduced the personalities of the many family members even more. I actually went to great lengths to buy the limited edition with all 3 games, but I haven't even beaten the first of those so far.

overwatchprais.jpg

5. Overwatch ; I'm really not that into online FPS's, so my decision to buy Overwatch had a lot more to do with its aesthetic and the fact that it's a Blizzard game than anything else. I should say that what relatively little I ended up playing of it was a lot of fun, but I'm simply not a big enough fan of competitive gaming for its to keep me hooked longer. Given the quality of the final product, it's hard to be mad at Blizzard for scrapping the stuck-in-perpetual-development-hell Titan in favour of releasing the part that was actually working, but the work that was put into world building and making the various characters does make one wonder what could have been. I really hope they decide to go for a campaign mode somewhere down the line.

riseofthetombraider0wz5x.jpg

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider PC ; I really liked the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot. It was heavily inspired by other contemporary third person action-adventures, but in my opinion added just enough to keep it interesting. With the promise of larger. more open environments to explore and climb around in, I had very high hopes for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Of course, the delay of the PC version because of the timed XBO exclusivity stung, and the overall quality of the physical product I ended up buying hardly makes this feel like anything other than an afterthought. Luckily enough, the game doesn't suffer from the belated release. And yet, what does turn out to be quite bothersome is how little progress there is from TR2013 to RotTR. Areas are indeed larger, but that just ends up being an excuse for a greater number of more or less pointless collectibles. Interesting environmental or platforming puzzles, or tombs are few and far between. This probably wouldn't be such a big issue if the main game was a bit more interesting. While the reboot's flat set of characters and ultimately barebones plot were a clear detriment to the overall experience, I could look past that because Crystal Dynamics were essentially starting from nothing. Furthermore, Lara's inexperience at the beginning of that game lends more credibility to the survival aspect, which in turn gives urgency to looking for resources and tool upgrades. In the sequel, on the other hand, I would have expected something a bit more developed.

Ultimately, Rise of the Tomb Raider brings few improvements over the reboot other than its visuals and animations, which, thanks to the improed hardware base, are nothing to scoff at. Still, looking pretty alone is not enough to keep invested, and while I did end up getting that sweet 100%, I can't see myself going back to it anytime soon.

tokyomiragesessionsfefuxxb.jpg

7. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; This may just be my first real JRPG. Since I'm not all too familiar with the genre, I've had some trouble getting accustomed to the game's peculiarities, but have nevertheless found a lot to love here. I really like the combo-based combat system, even if frequent enemy encounters can be terribly punishing (especially if your mana runs out and you are reduced to melee attacks against resistant enemies). I also kinda enjoy the visual style and overall story of the game, but then I've never really been bothered by more Japanese narrative beats. Still, I doubt I would have bought the game if there wasn't still a light conenction to the Fire Emblem franchise, which I have a lot of love for. Of course, the relation here is little more than tangential, but Tokyo Mirage Sessions has plenty of reasons to stay even without it.

I think my main problem with this game is the same one I had with Xenoblade Chronicles X - I really like what I'm playing, but end up finding the experience a little overwhelming, or at least a bit involved for the tempo I'm used to when burning through my backlog. I'll definitely have to go back to it eventually, probably with a few specific builds and strategies in mind to make sure I don't miss anything major.

starfoxzero4fb0q.jpg

8. Star Fox Zero ; I'm not sure I even played enough of this one to warrant an inclusion at this point (I finished some 4-5 early stages before getting sidetracked by other projects). To be fair, I was never h ugely invested in the Starfox franchise or its genre, more generally (even now, I'd probably be most likely to jump back into the more controversial Adventures), so it shouldn't be too surprising I'm struggling to maintain my interest. I do think that the game's core principles work out reasonably well, even if the heavy reliance on the Wii U gamepad does have a tendency to get in the way a bit, but I simply haven't played enough of the game to have a more fleshed-out opinion. All I can say is that flying and shooting feel good, and dog fights while free roaming can get quite intense. I definitely hope I'll find the time to sit back down with it and get a proper feel for its intricacies.

twilightprincesshdjfayq.jpg

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD ; Improved resolution and textures help in giving the game a new sheen, but the overall feeling of the original are preserved. Changes to the poe search are much welcomed, and the use of the gamepad for inventory management and gyro aiming works well (even though I preferred aiming with the Wiimote). Overall, this is pretty much Twilight Princess with a few minor additions, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Twilight Princess has some of my favourite dungeons in the series, and when it's at its strongest, it has a positively epic feel to it. Its main issue is still that it can feel terribly lifeless. Kakariko, the Goron / Zora domains, and Castle Town don't ever really feel like places that are actually lived in, and Hyrule Field is mostly just filled with nothing.

Twilight Princess is far from being my favourite Zelda game (even among the 3D ones, I'd easily prefer OoT, MM, and TWW), but it's still a great game in its own right. The only reason I rank it this low is that its a remaster / remake, and thus should (in my opinion) not eclipse the good new releases.

Is a multiplayer game with micro-transactions going to win Gaf GOTY the same year that a new Uncharted and The Last Guardian came out?

That would be something...

Possible, but I don't think so. Just reading through this thread, Uncharted 4 seems to be in the lead. The Last Guardian close behind. Then Overwatch.

Possible, but I don't think so. Just reading through this thread, Uncharted 4 seems to be in the lead. The Last Guardian close behind. Then Overwatch.

I definitely haven't counted or even seen every page but Overwatch seems to show up on almost every list in some capacity. While many were disenchanted with UC4 or didn't play TLG, those extra points could definitely help. Will be interesting to see!

I definitely haven't counted or even seen every page but Overwatch seems to show up on almost every list in some capacity. While many were disenchanted with UC4 or didn't play TLG, those extra points could definitely help. Will be interesting to see!

Yeah it could definitely be close, but I'd be surprised if Uncharted 4 doesn't take it. To make it a bit more manageable, read over just this page as a sample. Uncharted 4 actually does a lot better than Overwatch.

Yeah it could definitely be close, but I'd be surprised if Uncharted 4 doesn't take it. To make it a bit more manageable, read over just this page as a sample. Uncharted 4 actually does a lot better than Overwatch.

Yea, you're probably right.

Uncharted is a great game, and a very worthy GOTY. I would just really like to see Overwatch take it just because it's such a departure from what we've come to expect.

1. DOOM ; Legitimately the greatest single-player campaign in years. It's an incredible experience.
2. Titanfall 2 ; Another contender for best single-player in years, but falls just a biiiiiit short.
3. Battlefield 1 ; The most fun multiplayer shooter in forever.
4. Pokemon Sun and Moon ; This is actually my introduction to the series, and I loved every second of it.
5. Resident Evil 4 ; It's RE4, man.
6. Rainbow 6 Siege
7. Paper Mario: Color Splash
8. Fire Emblem Fates
9. Clustertruck

Can I mix ineligible games in to my list, and still have the eligible ones receive their due?

1) Ineligible Game A from 2008
2) Eligible Game B
3) Eligible Game C
4) Ineligible Game D in early access

Would games B and C receive the appropriate amount of point for positions 2 and 3 from the parser?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
1. Final Fantasy XV ; This game brought me back to final fantasy games with a hungry that I forgot I had after the bitter taste of the FFXIII games. I'm glad it came out now than 10 years ago, the jump in graphics helped this game a lot. God the soundtrack is epic.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Uncharted is the quintessential action adventure series that I love and ucharted 4 is the best swan song for the series. Glad to have had the final adventure with Drake.

3. The Witcher 3 Blood & Wine expansion ; The last adventure of Geralt and it was a good if not awesome ride. This expansion alone beats out most of the games that came out this year. I am sad to see the Witcher series end.

4. Firewatch ; I didnt think I would enjoy this game as much as I did. The dialogue and puzzles make this game interesting. The mystery twist part of the game was ok, but the characters are what makes it great.

Can I mix ineligible games in to my list, and still have the eligible ones receive their due?

1) Ineligible Game A from 2008
2) Eligible Game B
3) Eligible Game C
4) Ineligible Game D in early access

Would games B and C receive the appropriate amount of point for positions 2 and 3 from the parser?

Ballot Scoring
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.

I'm pretty sure they just tally it up and then throw out ineligible games. So your eligible games would get the points for positions 2 & 3, yes.

Wink

I hope witness wins that category of love, the one where for those that mentioned the game on the list it got the highest spot on average.

I can't see how anyone who loves puzzles and exploration can't be head over heels on that game. It's design should be legendary, it should be studied.

Amen to that. I don't even seek out too many puzzle games and I am floored by how dismissively it is mentioned on the side as a neat little indie puzzle game instead of being proclaimed the masterclass of design it actually is.
I heard the pretentious argument a lot and that it advocates a certain viewpoint? Personally I think all it does is talk about game design and encourage people to think for themselves.

I did a little bit of counting. The rules say no spoilers, so I won't name names.

But I will say that whatever wins may very well do so on the strength of points, not straight mentions. Wouldn't that be something, for the winner to lose the "popular vote"?

1. Overwatch ; more than being an amazingly fun multiplayer game it fills me with hope about the world we live in. We need more games like this in these dark times.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; after waiting 11 years we finally got this damn rpg. Story wise the crux worked for me and the vibe made me attached to the characters. Only openworld in a long time I cared about.

3. Doom ; captures the feeling the original gave while feeling modern and progressive. Also the doom slayer is just genius

4. Titanfall 2 ; a solid fps campaign that reminded me of half life in it's hey day. Multiplayer was no joke either.

5. Dark Souls 3 ; finishing this wonderful series of games in a way that still felt inventive and new, dark souls 3 felt like a wonderful goodbye.

6. VA-11 HALL-A ; a relaxing visual novel that had really good character depth and a world i completely bought myself into.

7. Future Tone ; Everyone's favorite miku but with every single song from all the games..... so much miku content owo

8. The Silver Case ; God I missed suda 51 back when he was fully in his prime. It captures that tone that killer 7 and no more heroes had before they went too silly, and it's lightning in a bottle of wonderful.

I did a little bit of counting. The rules say no spoilers, so I won't name names.

But I will say that whatever wins may very well do so on the strength of points, not straight mentions. Wouldn't that be something, for the winner to lose the "popular vote"?

Amazing way to show how was 2016 in general.

Edit: since I'm at the top of this page, I think it's better to post my own list now.

1. Persona 5 ; This game will be in a thread like this for the next year but I had the chance to play the Japanese version and it’s gorgeous. I actually bought a ps3 because I needed one to play this and the Last Guardian, and I was very fortunate I could play both games this year after all the delays and problems the devs faced when they were making it. Persona 5 takes what made great P3 and P4 and improves it a lot, and I’m not talking about the graphics (which are beautiful if you ask me) but the game mechanics, the writing, voice acting, the story and even the music. I’m pretty sure the story and its final message will resonate with many people next year, and the voce acting is probably the best I’ve heard in a RPG in years but that’s probably because despite the delays and troubled development, Persona 5 is the best RPG I’ve played in the last decade… it’s probably one of the best games I've played.

And now the international winner of this year…

2. INSIDE ; I don’t like to talk about Inside because this is a game that you have to experience first before anyone can ruin the experience for you. Like Persona 5, Inside shows that the developers learned a lot from their previous game and they refined the formula. It has a lot of variety with their puzzles so they don’t feel repetitive: New kind of puzzles are presented to the player even minutes before the ending comes. It has the best animations I’ve seen in a game this year and the oppressive atmosphere that Playdead created is quite unique, it even manages to be more disturbing than Limbo in many ways since Limbo happens entirely in some kind of fantasy world while Inside’s world looks a little bit similar to our own, and because of that the many ways you can die feel quite brutal.

3. Dark Souls III ; DS III is the amazing conclusion to the DS trilogy and a good way to say goodbye to the Souls series at least for a while. The game uses mechanics from all the games in the series so it feels like a good compilation of concepts that started from Demon’s Souls. Each game of the series has its problems and their advantages, I’m pretty satisfied with these games but after 5 games in a (more or less) short period of time you can predict the next ambush, where to find the next shortcut, the next boss, etc.; and because all that I’d say DSIII is the perfect way to say goodbye to this kind of games for a while: it was pretty good while it lasted. Besides, we still have one more DLC chapter to play.

4. The Last Guardian ; TLG is amazing and charming: the aesthetics are pretty much what you’d expect from a game directed by Ueda, but the game manages to surpass your expectations; that’s in terms of presentation/exposition. The reason this game is not higher in my list is that it’s surpassed by the other three when it comes to game mechanics, gameplay, controls, and even the way the other games handled the camera: simple tasks like carefully position the camera to solve a puzzle can get tricky with The Last Guardian and it’s not the only problem that the game has. Still, the game is pretty unique and it deserves recognition as one of the best game of 2016.

5. Abzu ; I haven’t finished Abzu yet, but it is an spectacular game (and a relaxing one so far). The game mechanics could be simple, but it’s incredible what you can do with simple game mechanics and an amazing presentation.

6. This War of Mine: The Little Ones ; This is one game I feel comfortable not playing because of its message: Life is pretty brutal when you are in the war and you’re not a soldier. Seeing some of the characters get the “broken” status is one of the worst things I’ve experienced in a game, and I’m very grateful I haven’t experienced this kind of situation myself.

7. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen ; I’ve played this game already when it came out on consoles but Dragon’s Dogma is the secret best game of the previous generation so I needed an excuse to buy it again and vote for it.

8. PixelMaker ; I’ve spent quite some time “playing” with this software. You don’t have to understand the default properties of the common software and then change the default properties of it in order to make pixel art with this: It’s a good tool for someone who may lack intermediate knowledge of how software like Photoshop or Gimp works and just want to make some pixelated doodles, and I think that has value for creative people.

9. Oxenfree ; I like the art style, the dialogues, the voice acting and the story. The game is rough around the edges, but the aspects I mentioned make it pretty entertaining. It’s definitively one of the best games I played this year.

Fezan

1. Uncharted 4 ; is both technically and artistically beautiful. But where it succeeds the most is not its technical accomplishment or bombastic set pieces but in its design, its vision what it clearly wants to present to the players. Combine that with one of the best TPS gameplay and you have a complete package. In the End, it may not have the same impact that Uncharted 2 had Nor will it influence the same way as TLOU story did. It still does what it set outs to be a fantastic game with good story and excellent gameplay which people will talk about for years and will be standard for any other cinematic game to achieve.

2. The Last Guardian ; It may have technical issues and some camera problems but that doesn't distract from the experience at all. And what an experience it is. From the moment you see trico you know the journey will something special. Where other games try to build the relationship through dialogue and often felt forced here it happens all naturally and trough gameplay. And that is where the strength of the game lies. You feel like you are in a living breathing world where you are with this giant creature that you genuinely care about. There are many games that try to emulate what euda tries to do but none have succeeded in capturing the magic. and this one word describe the journey in The Last Guardian perfectly "Magical".

3. Hitman ; I generally dislike the episodic nature of the games but for hitman it was perfect. Unlike many others, i didn't hate the absolution but this is leaps and beyond above that game. Perfect stealth game for me with various way to approach targets and huge levels.

4. Dishonored 2 ; A perfect and beautiful playground to test your various powers with two playable characters and a competent story. A worthy sequel to D1

5. Darksouls 3 ; Although not good as Bloodborne but still vastly superior to D2. It may have lost some of the magic what made this series special but it is still one the best games of the year with same challenging combat and a beautiful haunting world.

6. Ratchet and Clank ; One of the best reboot of all time. Perfect mix of platforming combat and accessibility. One word to describe the game is fun. Also unlike sunset overdrive, the humor is actually good this time

7. Doom ; I got the game early and was pleasantly surprised. The combat is visceral and fun. Along with lengthy single player with old school approach make it a perfect single player fps experience in the age of MP shooters. Doesn't hurt that this game is up there technically with UC4 and B1

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; A good sequel to Human revolution. It improves everything that made HR great but suffers greatly in later stages due to abrupt ending. It feels like it is missing the last section of the game. Still its one of the best game of the year. It may have topped the list if Developers actually shipped the complete game.

9. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Biggest surprise of the year for me. It finally filled the void that commandos games left behind.

10. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; If you compare it directly to UC4 it is inferior in most departments be it graphics, music, story,voiceacting or gameplay but on its own its a great game. Just like TR 2013 it takes what makes Uncharted games great and carves its own identity with a unique hub like world, adding upgrades and excellent gameplay.

Honorable Mentions

x. Final Fantasy XV ; I have just started this game and everything is fantastic. The combat the music the graphics the open world all are excellent.
x. Abzu ; It may not be as good as journey but it's a really good fun game with beautiful visuals that doesn't over welcome its stay
x. Inside ; Where other games fail at either gameplay or story this game succeeds on both with excellent visuals. Just like Limbo this is also an experince unlike other.
x. Quantum Break ; Not as good as Alan Wake and definitely much worse than Max Payne but still a good tps. This is an instance where story definetly hampers the gampelay.

Top Bottom