• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic lists the 20 best Xbox games of the year

Draugoth

Gold Member
games-yearend-xbox-2023.jpg

Metacritic portal published a list of the 20 best games released for the Xbox this year and unfortunately Starfield was left out due to its low Metascore. Metacritic claims to have created this list based on games released for Xbox One and Xbox Series S|X from January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023, using the Metascore as a parameter:
Which Xbox games impressed professional reviewers the most during the past year? This page contains Metacritic's official list of the 20 best-reviewed titles released for Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023 ranked by Metascore. Games must have at least 7 reviews from professional critics to be eligible for inclusion.

1. Alan Wake 2 - 94
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition - 94
  3. Diablo IV - 91
  4. Resident Evil 4 - 91
  5. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 91
  6. Street Fighter 6 - 90
  7. Dead Space - 89
  8. Cocoon - 89
  9. Persona 4 Golden - 89
  10. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways - 89
  11. Sea of Stars - 89
  12. Persona 3 Portable - 87
  13. Monster Hunter Rise - 87
  14. Hi-Fi Rush - 87
  15. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - 86
  16. Blasphemous 2 - 85
  17. Hogwarts Legacy - 85
  18. Remnant II - 85
  19. Mortal Kombat 1 - 85
  20. Forza Motorsport - 84

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Having any remake on there is just a waste of space. Having 2 spots for RE4 alone is pretty hilarious. Having late ports like MH Rise, Witcher 3 and 2 old Persona games is even stupider. Have to delete like half the list before you can even start critiquing some of the over inflated scores.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Preferred Starfield over every game I have played in that list, except for Alan Wake 2.

I impulse bought it in the sale with Xmas money, and am loving it. So different to the original Alan Wake, but a great continuation of the story. I will admit my first hour was ‘wtf have they done?’, but I’m now at the coffee world theme park and I can’t put this down. What an atmosphere.

TLDR - I agree with #1, but it’s a crime that Starfield isn’t in that list.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

It was a knee-jerk reaction to the Immortal backlash. Decent campaign, trash endgame.

I never expected launch Diablo 4 endgame to be great because that's never been the case. D2 endgame was enjoyable only after LoD. D3 was only solid after RoS. D4 sucked at launch, is in a much better place now and I expect the expansion to improve that the same way the prior games expansions did. It's always amusing with D2, most people I talk to who praise how good it was/is, their reasons for it are nearly all LoD features.

Mortisfacio

let's see, he's gonna argue that 2 of them are also on PC and do not count 🙄

Probably, which is an interesting point to take because in that case Nintendo is really the only true exclusive console if you take that stance. All Xbox titles launch on PC because both Microsoft and short of Bloodborne in 2015 everything else has or is coming to PC for Sony.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Probably, which is an interesting point to take because in that case Nintendo is really the only true exclusive console if you take that stance. All Xbox titles launch on PC because both Microsoft and short of Bloodborne in 2015 everything else has or is coming to PC for Sony.
But the thing is Xbox IS Microsoft. I'm also certainly not the only one thinking that way!

kiphalfton

Honestly Microsoft needs to go through Sega route at this point. No console, and just focusing on multiplatform games. They already have enough studios, and can just strongnarm Nintendo and Sony into paying more than they should have to.

Top Bottom