• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield takes home the Golden Joystick Award for best Xbox Game of the Year 2023

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I knew this thread would be fun and people did not disappoint

Starfield in the title =

goodfellas GIF

dotnotbot

If RE4 won Playstation GOTY then this is kinda implying Starfield was better than any third party game released on Xbox this year.

Hot Sauce Crying GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

Worst, by what metric? Certainly not in sales or critical reception.

Critical reception by press and fans relative to expectations

IGN gave Death Stranding a 6.8/10. Edge gave it a 6/10. And you still cite it as a favorite game of yours.
Different strokes?

I have never claimed Death Stranding isn’t a divisive game. But it wasn’t hyped up anywhere close to Starfield, and it’s intentionally strange by design. Starfield is inexplicably strange by design and not in a good way, in a “this is just poorly done” way.

But yes, “different strokes”.

Last edited:

Dane

I have never claimed Death Stranding isn’t a divisive game. But it wasn’t hyped up anywhere close to Starfield, and it’s intentionally strange by design. Starfield is inexplicably strange by design and not in a good way, in a “this is just poorly done” way.

Death Stranding was definetely hyped ever since its pre announcement video with SIE Andrew House.

Death Stranding was definetely hyped ever since its pre announcement video with SIE Andrew House.

Of course it’s hyped. But It wasn’t claimed to be the game of the forever like Starfield was. The hyperbole preceding release vs the reception is enormous

And it was abundantly clear well in advance that some people may not enjoy it, given the focus on traversal systems. It was fabled a walking simulator before launch in a derisive way

Chukhopops

If RE4 won Playstation GOTY then this is kinda implying Starfield was better than any third party game released on Xbox this year.

Hot Sauce Crying GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones
Well not really since for some unknown reasons those games weren’t even nominated as Xbox games, only as PS5 games.

It all makes very little sense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I knew this thread would be fun and people did not disappoint

Starfield in the title =

goodfellas GIF

Golden Joystick thread about best PS game (RE4): 2 pages
Golden Joystick thread about ultimate GoTY game ( Baldurs Gate): 4 pages
Golden Joystick thread about best Xbox game (Starfield): 6 pages

Starfield truly drives discussion on the forum, even among the users who have never played it.

Hugare

I genuinely don't care if people hate the game, so I usually do try to avoid this kind of back and forth. But I really didn't care even a little bit about the loading screens. They're short. To me it just sounds so exaggerated. Everyone played games with loading screens all last gen. I guess none of those games are even playable now. It just is so ridiculous and unbelievable to me. Yes, it would be smoother if it wasn't there. But it's just not a big deal for me, or something I really even notice.

There is some weirdness with the engine though, so I can't say why they do it. That pic I showed of the city in my post, Gagarin, has zero loading in it. Tons of NPCs, quests, multiple shops and detailed interiors. And you just walk outside the city and you're in a full wildnerness tile as well. No loading. You can also get off the space port in New Atlantis, and if you climb over the walls and scale a few mountains, and walk all the way around, you can leave the space port and walk through a huge wilderness tile and walk all around all of New Atlantis in full with no loading on any of it. So I don't know why they do it. Maybe it helps stability or something. I don't know.

But people can check my posts from before the game came out. I fully expected loading screens.

I never thought anyone was promised no loading screens. Seems like extremely exaggerated outrage, but everyone has a right to their own opinion so if people want to pass on entire games for that that's on them. Tears of the Kingdom has a loading screen on every shrine too. Just not the end of the world for me.
Pretty much every last gen open world game didnt have loading screens. Can you remember any open world game that also had this huge amount of loading screens?

Fallout 4 got called out for it in 2015. 8 freaking years ago it was already considered outdated.

So imagine how some people reacted to it in 2023

If the excuse for it is because you can pick every item in the game and etc., please, its not as important as having an space exploration game with no loading screens.

If that wasnt a problem for you, then great. But its a very understandable complaint for many.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pretty much every last gen open world game didnt have loading screens. Can you remember any open world game that also had this huge amount of loading screens?

Fallout 4 got called out for it in 2015. 8 freaking years ago it was already considered outdated.

So imagine how some people reacted to it in 2023

If the excuse for it is because you can pick every item in the game and etc., please, its not as important as having an space exploration game with no loading screens.

If that wasnt a problem for you, then great. But its a very understandable complaint for many.
I just think it's a stupid thing to get that bent out of shape about. I actually can't mentally put myself in the headspace of someone that would toss a game in the trash for load screens so for me it is literally not understandable. Bloodborne has load screens. Most games have had load screens for the last 20 years. I can understand how it can be an annoyance, but it's in a category entirely secondary to every other concern I have about the actual game. But I guess that's just me being a fanboy or something. Fast is better. I'm not denying that. I just don't think it's anywhere near the top of my concerns. It's pretty close to the bottom. I even linked to a post I wrote a year before release showing that I fully expected loading screens for the game, so I wasn't thinking that was something extinct since 2015, and was something I fully expected to get into most any interior just like all their previous games.

Fredrik

🤔

Starfield

PC Critic Reviews​

METASCORE
Generally Favorable

Positive 63 (81%)

Mixed 10 (13%)
Negative 0 (0%)

🤷‍♂️

You said you played 25 hours, how much did you actually see? Unless you played it with some speed up mod you’ve literally just scraped the surface on most game mechanics and barely touched the faction and main quests. Are you ranting from your own experience or are you just parroting the few mid critic reviews out there?

It’s okay to not like a game. I’ve dropped games in 30 minutes myself. But I’m thinking you shouldn’t pretend that you’re sitting on some facts on how the complete package is after so little play time. Go play some more, build some ships and outposts, unless you’re incredibly focused on story-telling I promise you’ll have some fun, especially building ships.

Even critics probably spent too little time on those things since they wanted the embargo day clicks.
I did too in my first playthrough which took me 81 hours, rushed through it because NG+ was said to be special. I still liked it a ton at the end but it started out around 7.

Today in my second playthrough 110 hours in I have 4 bases, automated cargo links, automated fabricators, animal houses, mission boards, crew, robots, robot defenses and outpost management, bunch of ships, etc. It’s not the game I thought it would be, but I still like it. In my first playthrough I thought it was like Mass Effect, today I think it’s a slimmed down No Man’s Sky RPG with better combat and ship building.

I still find many things under-cooked though, listed earlier. But the things I like still holds it up for me.

In the end I agree that it’s strange, it’s a mish-mash of game mechanics, some rushed, some well-made and surprisingly open-ended and deep.

Today I built ships with the kids for 2 hours or so, not the Starfield I expected half a year ago but I wouldn’t keep playing it for more than 2 months if I didn’t have fun.

It’s no doubt a divisive game. But bad? Nope.

Rebuilt Star Eagle
mfPEq2U.jpg

Scenery
gwbfo4W.jpg

Last edited:
It's not even near their best scored game either. Hi-Fi Rush was robbed.
Agreed fully that Hi-Fi Rush was robbed. It's a fantastic little title that I honestly envy not being on PS and it is wholly deserving of the accolades.

I never engaged with Bethesda titles that weren'f from iD or Machinegames prior to the Xbox buyout. I wouldn't have bought Starfield if it came to PS5 because the gameplay has zero appeal to me--and I feel the exact same way about No Man's Sky. Neither are bad games, but the amount of praise each gets baffles me as they come off as Grindy Tedium: The Game to me.

🤔

Starfield

PC Critic Reviews​

METASCORE
Generally Favorable

Positive 63 (81%)

Mixed 10 (13%)
Negative 0 (0%)

🤷‍♂️

You said you played 25 hours, how much did you actually see? Unless you played it with some speed up mod you’ve literally just scraped the surface on most game mechanics and barely touched the faction and main quests. Are you ranting from your own experience or are you just parroting the few mid critic reviews out there?

It’s okay to not like a game. I’ve dropped games in 30 minutes myself. But I’m thinking you shouldn’t pretend that you’re sitting on some facts on how the complete package is after so little play time. Go play some more, build some ships and outposts, unless you’re incredibly focused on story-telling I promise you’ll have some fun, especially building ships.

Even critics probably spent too little time on those things since they wanted the embargo day clicks.
I did too in my first playthrough which took me 81 hours, rushed through it because NG+ was said to be special. I still liked it a ton at the end but it started out around 7.

Today in my second playthrough 110 hours in I have 4 bases, automated cargo links, automated fabricators, animal houses, mission boards, crew, robots, robot defenses and outpost management, bunch of ships, etc. It’s not the game I thought it would be, but I still like it. In my first playthrough I thought it was like Mass Effect, today I think it’s a slimmed down No Man’s Sky RPG with better combat and ship building.

I still find many things under-cooked though, listed earlier. But the things I like still holds it up for me.

In the end I agree that it’s strange, it’s a mish-mash of game mechanics, some rushed, some well-made and surprisingly open-ended and deep.

Today I built ships with the kids for 2 hours or so, not the Starfield I expected half a year ago but I wouldn’t keep playing it for more than 2 months if I didn’t have fun.

It’s no doubt a divisive game. But bad? Nope.

Rebuilt Star Eagle
mfPEq2U.jpg

Scenery
gwbfo4W.jpg

The official metacritic is the one with the most review scores. On Xbox it is sitting at an 83. The user score is a 7.0 with similarly middling reviews on Steam.

The average prediction on NeoGaf was well above 90. With many claiming it would be their forever game, game they play for 10 years like Skyrim, etc.

I think I got pretty far into the main campaign - basically to the point where there's the big "reveal" (which I found so juvenile and stupid). I dropped it right there. I couldn't take the torture of uninteresting one note NPCs and completely barren environments with nothing to do other than fetch quests and poor combat. I dabbled a little bit with ships and outposts, but it felt like busy work with no reward. I don't really like to tinker with this stuff at all, especially since it's not really consequential to anything.

I am not missing any brilliance for myself by not pouring in 300 hours. It was time to cut it off and move on. I certainly think it's objectively a bad game (relative to AAA standards) if we analyze each of its core elements, but the aesthetics may be enough to pull people into the experience.

Last edited:
As much as I love Hi-Fi Rush (one of my fav games this gen) objectively it’s nowhere close to be better than Starfield. Well deserved though it was an easy win due to the lack of competition.

BTW the amount of hate/salt Starfield generates on the internet is astounding, from being a poor man’s No Man Sky to the PS2 version of Silent Hill 2 having better graphics than SF

Also, I wouldn’t consider remakes for GOTY, but hey it’s just my opinion on this.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
In 2021 alone Xbox won over 100 GotY awards including GAF's GotY for Halo Infinite. If ONLY the The Game Awards count, Halo Infinite won the people's choice GotY for the TGAs in 2021.

Oh you mean when "people" voted on it before the whole game had even released? if i remember correctly people had only access to the MP at that time. Don't take that vote too seriously, Xbox ambassadors and their minions where just doing their job. I mean if that's the best Xbox can muster then the bar must be that low for team Xbox i guess... that's kinda sad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dane

Of course it’s hyped. But It wasn’t claimed to be the game of the forever like Starfield was. The hyperbole preceding release vs the reception is enormous

And it was abundantly clear well in advance that some people may not enjoy it, given the focus on traversal systems. It was fabled a walking simulator before launch in a derisive way
People definetely touted as a GOTY for years, it wasn't until it was really close that they started to have doubts and when the reviews came out it was regarded as a shocking low average for Kojima.

Last edited:
People definetely touted as a GOTY for years, it wasn't until it was really close that they started to have doubts and when the reviews came out it was regarded as a shocking low average for Kojima.

It actually won the most GOTY awards in 2019, or pretty close to it.

Hugare

I just think it's a stupid thing to get that bent out of shape about. I actually can't mentally put myself in the headspace of someone that would toss a game in the trash for load screens so for me it is literally not understandable. Bloodborne has load screens. Most games have had load screens for the last 20 years. I can understand how it can be an annoyance, but it's in a category entirely secondary to every other concern I have about the actual game. But I guess that's just me being a fanboy or something. Fast is better. I'm not denying that. I just don't think it's anywhere near the top of my concerns. It's pretty close to the bottom. I even linked to a post I wrote a year before release showing that I fully expected loading screens for the game, so I wasn't thinking that was something extinct since 2015, and was something I fully expected to get into most any interior just like all their previous games.
Bloodborne has loading screens, but they arent as frequent as in Starfield. Not even close.

Bloodborne not being an open world game that wants you to explore everywhere is also important for context. Loading is fine in linear singleplayer games. Not fine in open world games. Hence why you dont see open world games with loading screens even during the 360/PS3 era.

Exploring when you have to see a loading screen for every door you want to open isnt great. Makes me not want to explore. I loved Fallout 3 despite the loading screens, but it was bothersome in 2008, and its much more now when every open world game has evolved, but not Bethesda.

This video sums it up quite well what I mean:

If thats fine for you, then great. But if Cyberpunk was like that, I wouldnt have even finished the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This video sums it up quite well what I mean:

If thats fine for you, then great. But if Cyberpunk was like that, I wouldnt have even finished the game.

I'll watch it when I get home, but I don't really need to watch a parody video to know what the loading is like in Starfield. I've played it a ton. I know exactly when it loads in pretty much the whole game.

Hugare

I'll watch it when I get home, but I don't really need to watch a parody video to know what the loading is like in Starfield. I've played it a ton. I know exactly when it loads in pretty much the whole game.
I posted it not to be snarky, I promisse, but to show how other games would be if they had loadings as intrusive as Starfield. It really affects in terms of immersion (imo)

Only Bethesda games have loadings that are intrusive like this. Havent seen anywhere else, honestly.

Fredrik

The official metacritic is the one with the most review scores. On Xbox it is sitting at an 83. The user score is a 7.0 with similarly middling reviews on Steam.
Haven’t played it on Xbox but it’s 30fps and there are no mods so I don’t find that score strange. 8/10 on a 1-10 scale, seems fair. Play it on PC and you’ll like it more, 100% guaranteed.

The average prediction on NeoGaf was well above 90. With many claiming it would be their forever game, game they play for 10 years like Skyrim, etc.
It didn’t break the 90 but I can easily see myself play this forever, there is more mechanics in place compared to Skyrim and the expansions potential and mod potential is astronomically higher. It’s literally possible to add anything, and I mean anything, to any planet without it feeling out of place. Crashed huge cruiser ships, cities, villages, monsters, alien races, anything. That’s how it’s structured. It all depends on if Bethesda drop the support early or if the modding community drop it.

I think I got pretty far into the main campaign - basically to the point where there's the big "reveal" (which I found so juvenile and stupid). I dropped it right there. I couldn't take the torture of uninteresting one note NPCs and completely barren environments with nothing to do other than fetch quests and poor combat. I dabbled a little bit with ships and outposts, but it felt like busy work with no reward. I don't really like to tinker with this stuff at all, especially since it's not really consequential to anything.

I am not missing any brilliance for myself by not pouring in 300 hours. It was time to cut it off and move on. I certainly think it's objectively a bad game (relative to AAA standards) if we analyze each of its core elements, but the aesthetics may be enough to pull people into the experience.
There are cool stuff, some of the coolest quests, after the ”reveal”, just so you know. And I doubt you’ve done much with ships and outposts in 25 hours since it takes a long time to find materials and do research and structure cargo links etc and even just level up enough. You’ve scraped the surface as I said.

It might still not be your type of gameplay of course. But that’s not what you’re debating here. Nobody is saying that you can’t personally dislike it, what people are saying is that you’re off base claiming that you’re sitting on some undisputed truth that it’s bad and us who like it are wrong.

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
Golden Joystick thread about best PS game (RE4): 2 pages
Golden Joystick thread about ultimate GoTY game ( Baldurs Gate): 4 pages
Golden Joystick thread about best Xbox game (Starfield): 6 pages

Starfield truly drives discussion on the forum, even among the users who have never played it.
I like to call them the usual suspects. PS users That are more worried about Xbox than PS

Fredrik

I like to call them the usual suspects. PS users That are more worried about Xbox than PS
Exclusives drives the talk. RE4 is a multiplat. BG3 is soon a multiplat. Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC and the majority don’t have a gaming PC worth the name. A system ownership poll would bring in all the answers needed to understand all the popular discussions.

Ozriel

M$FT

‘Worst rated major game’ has now pivoted to ‘critical reception by press and fans relative to expectations’.

You just keep moving goalposts 😂

I have never claimed Death Stranding isn’t a divisive game.

No, you just said Starfield had to be poor since big critics like GameSpot and Edge gave it 7/10 and 6/10 reviews. Incidentally, that’s similar scores to what both publications gave Ghost of Tsushima, another of your favorite games of all time.
You’ve also said before that Death Stranding was Kojima’s best game, and that game certainly had significant pre-release hype. Similar scores from Edge and IGN, and you didn’t go on a campaign to downplay the game here.

You’ll need to stay consistent.

But it wasn’t hyped up anywhere close to Starfield, and it’s intentionally strange by design. Starfield is inexplicably strange by design and not in a good way, in a “this is just poorly done” way.

i love how you made this post pre-release claiming it wasn’t going to be anything special and wouldn’t be different from games like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon.

Post-release you’re in every Starfield thread claiming you expected it to be a staggering revolution in game design and it let you down.

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh you mean when "people" voted on it before the whole game had even released? if i remember correctly people had only access to the MP at that time. Don't take that vote too seriously, Xbox ambassadors and their minions where just doing their job. I mean if that's the best Xbox can muster then the bar must be that low for team Xbox i guess... that's kinda sad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m not sure you want to focus on 2021, since the exclusive with the most GOTY awards was Forza Horizon 5.

You’ll find better success trolling if you focus on other years where Xbox has had relatively poor output.

Last edited:

CuNi

Tho if you think about it, that makes sense. Playstation is doing fine so nobody needs to worry about it.. Xbox on the other hand...

Congrats Starfield! Pretty good year for Xbox with critical hits like Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, Planet of Lana, Forza Motorsport and AoE4.

So happy to also see 2022 hit Pentiment nominated as well!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
‘Worst rated major game’ has now pivoted to ‘critical reception by press and fans relative to expectations’.

'Relative to expectations' is such an amazing cop-out tho. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Halo: Infinite has an 87 meta, has like 30 GoTY awards and still we have some folks try to make it sound like it was a Quantum Error situation at launch. Why? Relative to expectation or some such 🤷‍♂️

No goal posts being moved, your reading comprehension skills simply need work.

Dead Space - higher meta/user scores
Hogwarts - higher meta/user scores
RE4 - higher meta/user scores
TOTK - higher meta/user scores
SF6 - higher meta/user scores
Diablo - higher meta/worse user scores
FF16 - higher meta/user scores
BG3 - higher meta/user scores
Mario Wonder - higher meta/user scores
SM2 - higher meta/user scores
AW2 - higher meta/user scores

Being one of the worst big "AAA" games by metacritic this year is accurate. It's also well below expectations. Both statements are true.

No, you just said Starfield had to be poor since big critics like GameSpot and Edge gave it 7/10 and 6/10 reviews. Incidentally, that’s similar scores to what both publications gave Ghost of Tsushima, another of your favorite games of all time.
You’ve also said before that Death Stranding was Kojima’s best game, and that game certainly had significant pre-release hype. Similar scores from Edge and IGN, and you didn’t go on a campaign to downplay the game here.

You’ll need to stay consistent.

I think it's reflective of the fact that the game is divisive and not universally enjoyed. That was my original point. Ghost of Tsushima, a game I enjoyed but not one of my "favorites of all time" (fabricating statements, or blatant misinterpretation of them is a common theme with you), has a MUCH higher user score than Starfield.

I do believe Death Stranding is Kojima's best game. That's my personal opinion. I have never made any statement that my opinion on this game is widely held. I have always claimed it's divisive. So again you are fabricating misstatements or gaslighting people into thinking I am making claims that I am not. You should probably stop doing that.

i love how you made this post pre-release claiming it wasn’t going to be anything special and wouldn’t be different from games like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon.

Post-release you’re in every Starfield thread claiming you expected it to be a staggering revolution in game design and it let you down.

I love how you continually make red herring arguments.

My pre-release opinion on Starfield was my own. I am not speaking about my own opinion when I claim that Starfield was massively hyped. I am speaking about the users on here at large. Expectations were sky high, with thread after thread claiming it would be their forever game and be some massive tectonic shift for Microsoft and and a metacritic well into the 90s. It wasn't. Please learn to read carefully instead of completely misconstruing other's arguments.

It's amazing how my comment that you posted actually turned out to be true. Starfield is already largely losing engagement as it's no longer being actively played much at all on Steam based on user stats and failed to push Xbox console sales to the top of the list during its launch month.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No goal posts being moved, your reading comprehension skills simply need work.

Dead Space - higher meta/user scores
Hogwarts - higher meta/user scores
RE4 - higher meta/user scores
TOTK - higher meta/user scores
SF6 - higher meta/user scores
Diablo - higher meta/worse user scores
FF16 - higher meta/user scores
BG3 - higher meta/user scores
Mario Wonder - higher meta/user scores
SM2 - higher meta/user scores
AW2 - higher meta/user scores

Being one of the worst big "AAA" games by metacritic this year is accurate. It's also well below expectations. Both statements are true.

I think it's reflective of the fact that the game is divisive and not universally enjoyed. That was my original point. Ghost of Tsushima, a game I enjoyed but not one of my "favorites of all time" (fabricating statements, or blatant misinterpretation of them is a common theme with you), has a MUCH higher user score than Starfield.

I do believe Death Stranding is Kojima's best game. That's my personal opinion. I have never made any statement that my opinion on this game is widely held. I have always claimed it's divisive. So again you are fabricating misstatements or gaslighting people into thinking I am making claims that I am not. You should probably stop doing that.

I love how you continually make red herring arguments.

My pre-release opinion on Starfield was my own. I am not speaking about my own opinion when I claim that Starfield was massively hyped. I am speaking about the users on here at large. Expectations were sky high, with thread after thread claiming it would be their forever game and be some massive tectonic shift for Microsoft and and a metacritic well into the 90s. It wasn't. Please learn to read carefully instead of completely misconstruing other's arguments.

It's amazing how my comment that you posted actually turned out to be true. Starfield is already largely losing engagement as it's no longer being actively played much at all on Steam based on user stats and failed to push Xbox console sales to the top of the list during its launch month.

Your statement is completely true, by metacritic review averaging it didn't deliver what many hoped and expected.

Is it still a great game. Yes, this is true for millions and millions of players.

Do others not like it, yes this is true also. There are thise that expected more than fallout in space with an amazing ship and base building side jam.

I didn't expect or want more than that.

I really like the game, I'm not going to claim it's my game of the year but personally I very much enjoyed it.

You seem to be on some strange mission about this game, we all know why and deep down you do. If this was a multiplatform game you would have simply said its not for you and moved on. It's not like you dedicated 10s or 100s of hours and we're left massively disappointed, regretting the time you had wasted. There's some other odd motivation.

Maybe, you are angry at the weirdo twitter fanboys who hyped the game up and you feel the need to respond so much?

I agree with some of what you are saying, but I think everyone gets it now and you can just move on. It's at an 83 on metacritic vs an 82 for death Stranding Princess Beach with a user review score of 7.0 va 7.4 for the bridge master. Both devisive games. One you really like and another you don't.

I played death Stranding up until some boss fight and was bored senseless...I love kojima and trust I would get into the flow of it but I've never gone back. I watched a bunch of cutscenes and have never seen a game that sniffed its own farts as much...its literally nonsense. But as a fan of his stuff I will play it one day.

Anyway, I would live in death Stranding threads shitting on it and those that hyped it after my few hours with it.

Maybe, you can't understand that millions are enjoying their time with starfield...millions that don't think one second about console wars and just enjoy the game.

Starfield is like a cosy blanket to me. Its tough to explain. I can go on and play for 8 hours straight and just feel relaxed and enjoy the whole piece. There may e periods of tension and surprise I didn't expect, from the atmosphere created in a random ship I stumbled across heading to a mission.

There is moments of surprise and greatness I starfield that I get from other games, but thismyear belongs to balders gate 3...which I will get to at some point!

My game will probs be Alan wake 2, and that's fine as well.

Last edited:
Maybe, you can't understand that millions are enjoying their time with starfield...millions that don't think one second about console wars and just enjoy the game.

I am not suggesting that individual people can’t believe that. For some this may be right what you wanted and you love Bethesda ass games. Fair enough, you do you.

I just don’t think it’s deserving of Xbox GOTY this year when there are so many games on the platform rated higher and didn’t have the backlash this game has received.

Last edited:

Paasei

Fun game, I admit. But if this is #1 something is not quite right with Xbox.

I’m not continuing my playthrough until the full mod support is available.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I am not suggesting that individual people can’t believe that. For some this may be right what you wanted and you love Bethesda ass games. Fair enough, you do you.

I just don’t think it’s deserving of Xbox GOTY this year when there are so many games on the platform rated higher and didn’t have the backlash this game has received.

Was this user voted? If so then there ya go. More people probably played it than hi fi rush. Which I think should have taken it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anyway, I would live in death Stranding threads shitting on it and those that hyped it after my few hours with it.
This sentence does not work well with the following one…
I mean, that may be the definition of Xbox fanboy ;). Shouldn’t you have practiced what you preached or it goes in a single direction only?

Starfield is like a cosy blanket to me. Its tough to explain. I can go on and play for 8 hours straight and just feel relaxed and enjoy the whole piece. There may e periods of tension and surprise I didn't expect, from the atmosphere created in a random ship I stumbled across heading to a mission.
Nobody is saying the game cannot be enjoyed, currently playing two different campaigns at once (Steam Deck does not share save files with Xbox 😩). Just saying that it would be good to admit the frustration it can bring takes it down a peg. It could be its bugs, still aplenty, the dev attitude to performance (“get a better PC you bozos… [wait a few weeks or so] oh here is a patch that improves CPU and GPU performance a lot”), or other aspects there is something that burns me especially based on that promise the game does have (in the defend did it, which is what may generate some more heated debates, it seems like these issues are always swept under the carpet and then we have a far more critical eye with other games).

If someone could go and patch the game to remove the loading screens (let alone adding inter planetary travel inside a Galaxy at least) you would cry of joy once you play and realise how much it improves the game.

Even planet exploration:

Letting aside how to explore different parts of the planet you need to go through loading screens and menus to to back to the ship, back into orbit, select another area, land again… it is not even exactly the area you saw before:

Or even stuff to do between various points / density:

Having ships be tied to your character level is also an odd choice, but maybe it could be explained by the difficulty in operating it I guess… still flimsy…

Top Bottom