• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield takes home the Golden Joystick Award for best Xbox Game of the Year 2023

Lulz. What did Xbox release this year, four first party titles including Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare III? All of which, IIRC, were released by publishers Microsoft acquired rather than actually built in-house. For Starfield not to have been the best Xbox game of 2023 would have been a tremendous embarrassment for everyone at Xbox and Bethesda.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Happy Taylor Swift GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hi-Fi Rush was right there, man. The single coolest game of the year was right there.

Not this:

apps.30897.13592675470908447.6e791256-60f5-4e25-8fe9-d669aea7abc9.99e43e06-93a2-4d55-9ee7-417ff4df77fc

But this:

whats-with-go-go-dancer-in-silly-costumes-v0-148kcr1q9kib1.png

People don't deserve nice things.

I mean, obviously it was always going to Starfield because money, but people really don't deserve nice things.

splattered

Lulz. What did Xbox release this year, four first party titles including Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare III? All of which, IIRC, were released by publishers Microsoft acquired rather than actually built in-house. For Starfield not to have been the best Xbox game of 2023 would have been a tremendous embarrassment for everyone at Xbox and Bethesda.

And how many 1st party games did Sony have that they built themselves in house? Would spiderman 2 even count as they bought insomniac and didn't create the studio from the ground up? All of the nominations for both consoles were really strange imo.

the nominees were the following, I feel like Hi-Fi Rush was more deserving but oh well

Starfield is my GOTY, currently at more than 250 hours into it, but what is up with these nomination lists? Are they going with exclusives only? If so where is Forza Motorsport, and why the heck would Chants of Sennaar or Dead Space Remake be on this list? If it includes all third party games then why choose the ones they did? Neither Chants of Sennaar or Dead Space Remake should legitimately be anywhere near a GOTY list with so many other amazing games out this year. So weird. I feel exactly the same about the best Playstation game nomination list and winner as well. Weirdest nonsensical nomination list ever.

midnightAI

any of the major multiplats alone are far better. starfield is an embarrassment
Totally, funny how there are hardly any multiplatform games in the XBox list but the PS5 list is only multiplatform games (not sure when their cut off is but to not put Spider Man 2 in the PS5 game of the year list is just weird, unless I read it wrong)

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Starfield beating out Hi-Fi Rush is a joke in itself. Beating other games like D4, Sea of Stars, AC 6, RE 4, Alan Wake 2, Hogwart's, or Jedi feels like a pity trophy. The only category it should win is Disappointment of the Generation. I'm gonna feel bad for the Hi-Fi team who is gonna watch their gem of a game get beaten out by Turd Howard's undercooked slop.

In other related news 3rd from the right wins prettiest girl in the picture.

XhNCe8o.jpg

Are the girls behind the hippos?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We get you are a hardcore Xbox Fanboy. Drop the insults and antagonization and learn to discuss your opinions like an adult.
It's my front runner for GOTY, and easily my favorite sci-fi game of all time.

Discussion on here is just like Halo Infinite where people may be able to find a flaw or two, but that very quickly gets turned into "the game has zero redeeming qualities and you're a complete joke if you even like it." It's literally not more intellectually deep than peer pressure bullying from elementary school. It's fine if you don't like it, but you have zero claim on any kind of objective opinion. I think the game's phenomenal in countless areas, from art design, graphics, quest design, voice acting, to gunplay. It has by far my OST of the year and I can post 30 tracks as examples.

It's literally one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The scale is unlike anything I've played. That ship I zoomed in on in this picture is 3 stories tall, and you can walk around all of it. The scale of the space station next to it is just gigantic. And I have limitless examples of stuff like that.

JfYog3P.png

JfIwegs.png

This isn't even one of the big cities. The scale is just gigantic when you look at how small the people are. It's difficult to even take pictures of it. And there's layers underneath that, multiple shops, quests, NPCs. I've just literally never even seen a game like this.

JJzIKrb.png

I don't really encounter any areas in games this large, and all the assets are extremely highly detailed.

JJLrQQR.png

The lighting is phenomenal, and a giant upgrade over anything they've done previously - extending to even lighting the planets themselves. And they change completely over time, or depending on where you land on the planet and where it is orbiting the sun.

JfzXo4j.png

JfzNJV9.png

Jfzjndx.png

And a lot of the people claiming Hi-Fi Rush was robbed were actually the same people massively talking shit on Hi-Fi Rush in January when I said it was a GOTY contender. It absolutely is still a GOTY contender, but I think Starfield is a lot more ambitious and impressive, and I am literally one of the biggest advocates for Hi-Fi Rush on here, and I got shit constantly for hyping that game up too.

Several of the quests are among the best I've ever played in an RPG, like Entangled, or the multi-part Crimson Fleet quest. Even basic side quests have 3-4 parts to it and are surprisingly deep.

I will never change the minds of people that hate the game, and that's not even my goal. But if you guys can't even fathom that this is at the top of consideration for BEST XBOX GAME this year, then you guys are just lying or trolls in my opinion. If you have eyeballs you can see it's an incredibly impressive and ambitious game. It doesn't even take an argument to refute the bullshit. It's self-evidently absurd and exaggerated to the max.

Just look at the game with your actual eyes instead of being morons. And my pictures are just capturing a tiny, tiny fraction of the game. I'm still playing it and I'm at 315 hours.

Last edited:
It's my front runner for GOTY, and easily my favorite sci-fi game of all time.

Discussion on here is just like Halo Infinite where people may be able to find a flaw or two, but that very quickly gets turned into "the game has zero redeeming qualities and you're a complete joke if you even like it." It's literally not more intellectually deep than peer pressure bullying from elementary school. It's fine if you don't like it, but you have zero claim on any kind of objective opinion. I think the game's phenomenal in countless areas, from art design, graphics, quest design, voice acting, to gunplay. It has by far my OST of the year and I can post 30 tracks as examples.

It's literally one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The scale is unlike anything I've played. That ship I zoomed in on in this picture is 3 stories tall, and you can walk around all of it. The scale of the space station next to it is just gigantic. And I have limitless examples of stuff like that.

JfYog3P.png

JfIwegs.png

This isn't even one of the big cities. The scale is just gigantic when you look at how small the people are. It's difficult to even take pictures of it. And there's layers underneath that, multiple shops, quests, NPCs. I've just literally never even seen a game like this.

JJzIKrb.png

I don't really encounter any areas in games this large, and all the assets are extremely highly detailed.

JJLrQQR.png

The lighting is phenomenal, and a giant upgrade over anything they've done previously - extending to even lighting the planets themselves. And they change completely over time, or depending on where you land on the planet and where it is orbiting the sun.

JfzXo4j.png

JfzNJV9.png

Jfzjndx.png

And a lot of the people claiming Hi-Fi Rush was robbed were actually the same people massively talking shit on Hi-Fi Rush in January when I said it was a GOTY contender. It absolutely is still a GOTY contender, but I think Starfield is a lot more ambitious and impressive, and I am literally one of the biggest advocates for Hi-Fi Rush on here, and I got shit constantly for hyping that game up too.

Several of the quests are among the best I've ever played in an RPG, like Entangled, or the multi-part Crimson Fleet quest. Even basic side quests have 3-4 parts to it and are surprisingly deep.

I will never change the minds of people that hate the game, and that's not even my goal. But if you guys can't even fathom that this is at the top of consideration for BEST XBOX GAME this year, then you guys are just lying or trolls in my opinion. If you have eyeballs you can see it's an incredibly impressive and ambitious game. It doesn't even take an argument to refute the bullshit. It's self-evidently absurd and exaggerated to the max.

Just look at the game with your actual eyes instead of being morons. And my pictures are just capturing a tiny, tiny fraction of the game. I'm still playing it and I'm at 315 hours.

Starfield is huge achievement no doubt.

A real step forward for open world games.

It's not perfect and need some more work.

Am ok with it getting the nod.

Just wish we were having real discussion on how to improve this formula rather than nonsense like loading screens and whatever.

sendit

Starfield is huge achievement no doubt.

A real step forward for open world games.

It's not perfect and need some more work.

Am ok with it getting the nod.

Just wish we were having real discussion on how to improve this formula rather than nonsense like loading screens and whatever.
Starfield is a good game. However, it is in no shape or form a step forward for an open world experience. It is a stagnate release. FYI, I have over 200+ hours in this game because I enjoy the Skyrim/Fallout formula.

Last edited:
Top Bottom