• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Joystick Awards: Baldur's Gate 3 wins Game of The Year

Guilty_AI

Mostly watch not actually play them and put actual effort customizing your mechs.
Lets not forget the west already made some mech games that got well received.

They like giant ass robots breaking stuff up too.

And AC6 is still ahead of all of those. Its a fairly popular and well received game. The only reason its won't be getting many awards is because this is has been packed with amazing games of all kinds, many of which did far more than AC6.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People were saying the same thing about BG3 before it came out. "its a crpg, it has no wide-audience appeal, it'll be good but it'll remain niche, it'll have zero chance at mainstream awards".

I could argue AC6 may develop a western appeal because it taps into shooter audiences. When i played it i was quite surprised how it often times the gameplay felt like that of old school fps games. Even one of its missions (Investigate BAWS Arsenal No. 2) drew clear inspirations from a famous Halo CE level (direct or indirect).

Point is, its perfectly possible to carve an audience. Many typicaly japanese genres were able to over the years, i see no reason why mech games couldn't.
I also dont know the reason why mech game so unpopular but every time new mecha games comes out I see people say they are just just not mecha combat games.

This just not AC, you see Zone of Enders didn't sell well or SRPG like Front Missions, they just not all that popular in west.

Even Gundam game that based popular IP dont sell well in west, mecha games just dont do well here unless they turn in military FPS game like Titanfall which I dont want to see that in AC games.

Lets not forget the west already made some mech games that got well received.

They like giant ass robots breaking stuff up too.

And AC6 is still ahead of all of those. Its a fairly popular and well received game. The only reason its won't be getting many awards is because this is has been packed with amazing games of all kinds, many of which did far more than AC6.

Titanfall is mostly military FPS with mechs it like saying Bayonetta 2 is mecha game just because she rides mech.....come one.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The full list of Golden Joystick Awards 2023 nominees is as follows:
So the overall list looks pretty decent, though I don't really agree with Assassin's Creed Mirage and especially Lords of the Fallen up there. Of course they ignore Hogwarts Legacy, which is absolutely ridiculous. With 20 games nominated I expect that to be in the top group.
Hogwarts Legacy somehow not being in their list of the top 20 games of the year for the award is such BS and clearly an editorial decision that frankly negates any credibility they might have had IMO

I mean I don’t think it’d be my GOTY but there’s no way it’s not better than several of the games that did make the cut

Last edited:

Doom85

Are you fucking kidding me here? If you think license Gundam games comes to AC game when to combat and customization, you be so wrong. also you keep talking about visual appeal here and yet last time I checked Gundam games are also are not exactly popular in west either, are they?

I bet Armored Core 6 sold more than most Gundam games that have more "visual appeal" as you put it.

Mostly watch not actually play them and put actual effort customizing your mechs.

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Geezus, we get it, you’re super into this series. But I just don’t buy this “it’s the audience’s fault!” shtick when as I and several others have pointed out, plenty of developers have expanded niche genres’ audiences.

I also dont know the reason why mech game so unpopular but every time new mecha games comes out I see people say they are just just not mecha combat games.

This just not AC, you see Zone of Enders didn't sell well or SRPG like Front Missions, they just not all that popular in west.

What? Okay, you need to decide your genre. Front Mission is a SRPG first and foremost. Comparing it to AC 6 is ridiculous. It’s like saying Zelda and Fire Emblem are the same game because they’re both fantasy.

But hey, if your only requirement is mechs being the focus, then:

Even Gundam game that based popular IP dont sell well in west, mecha games just dont do well here unless they turn in military FPS game like Titanfall which I dont want to see that in AC games.

So with Titanfall, you admit mech games CAN do well, you’re just letting personal preferences ignore that.

Michael Buble Gotcha GIF by bubly

Guilty_AI

Again, many said the exact same thing about crpgs. They were saying this before BG3 released too. Most people just don't understand market dynamics.

Different times. Many niche games from other countries just didn't get enough visibility in the west in those times.

But with digital platforms nowadays its perfectly possible. Again AC6 was not, by any means, an unpopular release. It topped charts on steam during release, and right now its being as much played as many other AA releases or remakes like Hades, Halo, Persona 5, Lies of P, etc.

Last edited:

Doom85

So your idea of Mecha like AC do well in west is turn in to military FPS like Titanfall?

Well, since you brought in Front Mission of all things, so apparently a mech game merely needs to have mechs be very prominent for it to count.

If a game that featured mechs prominently did well in sales:

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Mortisfacio

Well deserved. Not counting CyberPunk, as it's an expansion, BG3 is the only game with a 90+ meta this year I feel actually deserves a 90+ meta. Can't believe I almost didn't play this game, but Steam numbers gave me FOMO and all my co-workers were playing. Truly well deserved.

Guilty_AI

giphy.gif

Really? I’m shocked to hear this, I was sure sold pretty well?
Titanfall 2 is a famous "game people really liked that sold poorly" example. Fell way below sales expectations, multiplayer dried off, you hear a lot about it on forums and received tons of praise but it wasn't that popular.

It gained some new life this year after they fixed a 7 yo problem with multiplayer. But even with that and a stronger MP mode, the amount of players still isn't that different from AC6 right now.

In comparison, AC6 topped sales and concurrent players charts. Its on track to sell more than Titanfall 2 did in its lifetime.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Titanfall 2 is a famous "game people really liked that sold poorly" example. Fell way below sales expectations, multiplayer dried off, you hear a lot about it on forums and received tons of praise but it wasn't that popular.

It gained some new life this year after they fixed a 7 yo problem with multiplayer, but even with that and a stronger MP, the amount of players still isn't that different from AC6 right now.

In comparison, AC6 topped sales and concurrent players charts. Its on track to sell more than Titanfall 2 did in its lifetime.
If that’s true it make me even less confident to see AC series ever gets that much popular in west. For fuck sake Titanfall was mostly military FPS game more than mech game and still couldn’t sell too well. I feel like most game that has mechs one way or another just don’t do well in west compare to other games for some weird reason………Whats People’s problem with mechs!?

Guilty_AI

If that’s true it make me even less confident to see AC series ever gets that much popular in west. For fuck sake Titanfall was mostly military FPS game more than mech game and still couldn’t sell too well. I feel like most game that has mechs one way or another just don’t do well in west compare to other games for some weird reason………Whats People’s problem with mechs!?
Dude. What part of IT TOPPED CHARTS you didn't get?

K6j0Slc.png

msX8Hin.png

Its also the second FROM game with the highest all-time number of concurrent users on steam, only behind Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Well the first Titanfall sold 10 million, but the sequel's release was infamously sandwiched between Battlefield and CoD that cannibalized sales. EA never put out sales for Titanfall 2, only number I found was a estimation of 4 million as of January 2017, and Respawn released a statement that said it sold well and was successful but could have done better, with no number attached.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Dude. What part of IT TOPPED CHARTS you didn't get?
I SUPER glad it it’s doing great but my original argument with my original post AC games never had chance in these awards shows in the first place because they Mecha games.

But you know what I think my argument is irrelevant, if the game is doing well that means FROM will continue to make AC games and that all that matters.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I SUPER glad it it’s doing great but my original argument with my original post AC games never had chance in these awards shows in the first place because they Mecha games.
Its not doing well in awards because this year has been fullpacked with amazing releases. Between a large sandbox game with interesting puzzles and mechanics like TotK or a ultra-detailed RPG like BG3, a game about shooting robots in arenas isn't going to stand out much.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Its not doing well in awards because this year has been fullpacked with amazing releases. Between a large sandbox game with interesting puzzles and mechanics like TotK or a ultra-detailed RPG like BG3, a game about shooting robots in arenas isn't going to stand out much.
I actually really, REALY like mission structures in AC games and how your get different mission in NG+ and NG++, which I would argue makes it have better replay value than even Elden Ring.

AC games just have limited appeal, I can’t do much about that but at least AC6 is doing well and hope FROm continues make them.

Last edited:
One of the greatest RPG's ever made is getting the recognition it deserves. So glad to see Larian's success. I hope this gives them all the breathing room they need to make whatever great next game they want to make. I'd love to see them dip their toes into the 40k universe.

Whatever they do next, they've earned all the accolades they've received.
Fz3Z8DsXoAEG0m0.jpg:large

Well, we're certainly degenerate enough.

Fredrik

I'm so glad to see this.

Will probably raise a few eyebrows around here, but NMS is one of my favourite games of all time. I keep going back to it between other games, just to explore, take on missions, buy / upgrade ships, etc. I just find it quite relaxing to play.
🤝 No raised eyebrows here, it’s my most played game on Steam, absolutely love it. In the top 10 all-time for sure. I still go in around updates to check out new stuff and to do some base building.

After plowing through the main quest I play Starfield in similar ways now. I feel like these games are oddly similar, as if someone has worked on both games and brought ideas over from one to another. Starfield has a long way to go to reach today’s NMS on game mechanics but the combat and roleplaying and shipbuilding is great and when going for resources and outpost building and linking multiple bases for cargo transports etc it’s a ton or fun for similar reasons. Just needs some Hello Games post-launch love and care, I want land vehicles to transport resources, and a better economy system for resources and crafted items, stuff like that.

Guilty_AI

I actually really, REALY like mission structures in AC games and how your get different mission in NG+ and NG++, which I would argue makes it have better replay value than even Elden Ring.

AC games just have limited appeal, I can’t do much about that but at least AC6 is doing well and hope FROm continues make them.
I honestly feel the mission/level design in AC6 is kinda lacking. First any non-boss enemy encounters are basically target practice, and a good portion of the levels are just big arenas. Coming off from retro shooters who have a similar game structure, it just doesn't feel as interesting. Ironically, some of the most interesting levels happened when you were forced into using a specific AC later in the game, which ends up going against the game's philosophy of letting you make your own robot.

I still think its a great game, but playing through it i could see it had a lot to improve on for a possible AC7.

Danjin44

I honestly feel the mission/level design in AC6 is kinda lacking. First any non-boss enemy encounters are basically target practice, and a good portion of the levels are just big arenas. Coming off from retro shooters who have a similar game structure, it just doesn't feel as interesting. Ironically, some of the most interesting levels happened when you were forced into using a specific AC later in the game, which ends up going against the game's philosophy of letting you make your own robot.

I still think its a great game, but playing through it i could see it had a lot to improve on for a possible AC7.
You are encouraged to explore, you find some of the best parts only through finding battle logs and hidden chests, I like how some missions changes in NG +. I definitely disagree with you on that.

mrmustard

Banned
BG3 and Zelda will have an interesting battle for most GOTY awards. Will be much closer than last year where Elden Ring humiliated the runner up and absolutely destroyed 3. - 5.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Best Indie game of year: Sea of Stars. I really don't understand the very high review scores for this game. Story was boring and gameplay was average at best.

No Man's Sky getting an award is awesome. Best redemption story in video game history.

Last edited:
I read the last page of this thread and didn’t see a single mention of BG3, had to check the title again.

First of many, and very well deserved. Had never played D&D or the genre before, and now it’s one of my favorite games ever. Insanely high quality throughout.

WitchHunter

Banned
Oh I think I get it now, sorry english is not my native language. So he's not satisfied with money alone, he wants to make the best goddamn cRPG.
"I Thought This Country Spawned The Fucking Language, And So Far Nobody Seems To Speak It."
I never understood why always the bigdicks get invited. Where is the team?

They were closing in with DOS2, but with BG3 they veered so far off... it's mind boggling to see that with some invention (good acting, finally) everything can be sold to people and they will applaud the whole package as groundbreaking.

Guilty_AI

You are encouraged to explore, you find some of the best parts only through finding battle logs and hidden chests, I like how some missions changes in NG +. I definitely disagree with you on that.
Eh, no, not really. Battle logs and hidden chests are far and few between, and you often need to rely on the scanner to find them. Not to mention the stuff they come with is rarely ever worth your time. Maps sparsely have hidden layers within them. and when i did find some to have them, there would still be nothing there most of the time. Some of my most disappointing moments with the game were getting into hard to spot/get parts of the level only to find absolutely nothing of interest in any of them.

And its not like AC6 doesn't have its share of secret areas with interesting things. Those are Dark Souls creators after all. Its just that they're very inconsistent and infrequent, you just lose the interest to explore after getting disappointed the 12th time.

And thats without mentioning the invisible barriers, those put the final dampener in the players desire to explore. There's nothing worse for exploration than seeing an interesting thing only to find the game directly telling you "NO YOU CAN'T GO THERE".

For comparison, look at how much you can find (and how you find them) on a single level of a traditional shooter. Not to mention things like level layout, enemy placement, etc.

And again, its not like AC6 is necessarely bad in that department. Its just that it could've been so much better.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Here is the full list of all tonight's Golden Joystick Awards 2023 winners:

GOLDEN JOYSTICK AWARD WINNERS 2023​

Horizon Call of the Mountain best vr game?

was very boring to me, I only advanced a third of the video game, and it was my debut of PS VR 2.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Are you fucking kidding me here? If you think license Gundam games comes to AC game when to combat and customization, you be so wrong. also you keep talking about visual appeal here and yet last time I checked Gundam games are also are not exactly popular in west either, are they?

I bet Armored Core 6 sold more than most Gundam games that have more "visual appeal" as you put it.
Ignore them. They are too busy defending their Dating Simulator Tabletop game. There is no denying that Divinity 3 with a Baldur's Gate coat of paint and a dumbed down DnD 5.0 ruleset is going to be very popular as unlike Armored Core the build variety isn't as complex or indepth as Armored Core or other Mecha games that put the focus on Mech parts, loadouts, and using currency to manage those parts, durability and fuel. That isn't to say BG3 doesn't have build variety just not on the level of Armored Core.

When it comes to BG3 though I still prefer the combat and interactions(elemental reactions and the use of poison) in Divinity 2.

I'd argue to say that Baldur's Gate 3 isn't as niche as some would like to think. It's a story driven party based RPG on a similar ground to Dragon Age, SW: KOTOR and of course Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Not to mention Neverwinter Nights.

Moving on to Mecha games, it's primarily a niche franchise because it involves primarily manning Robots and in some boils down to spreadsheets to figure out a good build for a specific mission like in Armored Core or in series like Super Robot Wars it plays out more like an RTS or Fire Emblem esque game that comes down to strategic attacks or positioning.

And what gives games like BG3 an edge over Mecha games is usually mecha games do not have any form of sex appeal so are less interesting to the Western audience.

When it comes to Gundam...Gundam is boring to me. I just hate the look of the Robots as they all look very samey to me. Could never appreciate them like I appreciate AC, SRW, Xenogears, Xenoblade X, Zone of the Enders, Daemon X Machina. I just have an irrational disdain for Gundam. It's a me problem.

That said one of the best Gundam games ever made is Gundam Musou 3.

I think the issue with Mech games not being popular is that they are hard to play and mostly have tank controls that most won't take the time to get used to.

WitchHunter

Banned
Well the first Titanfall sold 10 million, but the sequel's release was infamously sandwiched between Battlefield and CoD that cannibalized sales. EA never put out sales for Titanfall 2, only number I found was a estimation of 4 million as of January 2017, and Respawn released a statement that said it sold well and was successful but could have done better, with no number attached.
Titanfall 2 was simply fucked up. They created these beautiful, awe inducing mechs and instead of letting players go with those madafakers and level everything you had to endure that superficial, weeny campaign with idiotic shooting elements in it that reminded me of quake 1's sophistication.

When it comes to BG3 though I still prefer the combat and interactions(elemental reactions and the use of poison) in Divinity 2.
Yes, yes!

Moving on to Mecha games, it's primarily a niche franchise because it involves primarily manning Robots and in some boils down to spreadsheets to figure out a good build for a specific mission like in Armored Core or in series like Super Robot Wars it plays out more like an RTS or Fire Emblem esque game that comes down to strategic attacks or positioning.
Well, include earthsiege's combat, mix it with mechwarrior 2, add some armored fist flavouring, state of the art graphics and put in God of War 3 like boss fights and everyone would start to love those fucking mechs.

And what gives games like BG3 an edge over Mecha games is usually mecha games do not have any form of sex appeal so are less interesting to the Western audience.
Of course, the hormone monkeys can't wank to them mechs, but introduce mech pilots portrayed as a goddess/machoman. Now there is the love interest they crave so much. You can include bar banter like we've seen in Wing Commander, add some alcohol and paff, the lil monkeys now can polish their wiener to the romantic scenes.

Guilty_AI

Of course, the hormone monkeys can't wank to them mechs, but introduce mech pilots portrayed as a goddess/machoman. Now there is the love interest they crave so much. You can include bar banter like we've seen in Wing Commander, add some alcohol and paff, the lil monkeys now can polish their wiener to the romantic scenes.
You two sound like those resetera types complaining of big boobs and skimpy clothing in JRPGs

Doom85

That was about 15 years ago.

Which proves my point futher. Nerd-dom only really started to rapidly expand in the 2010’s. Transformers films would have been even bigger now if Bay hadn’t tarnished its reputation with too many films that didn’t differ much in story and focused too much on the humans. By the time they auto corrected with Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts, a lot of the more casual audience was burned out.

Regardless, it’s a moot point. As I and others have said, lots of genres have greatly expanded their audience through greatly progressing it and clever marketing. I don’t know why mecha is being treated as this sole genre on a negative pedestal with this whole, “oh, it can never be popular, the west will never accept it!” Get out of here with that defeatist attitude.

(never mind the game sales for AC 6 were pretty damn good so I don’t know why this bizarre line of thinking emerged to begin with)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You two sound like those resetera types complaining of big boobs and skimpy clothing in JRPGs
I'd be more prone to complaining there isn't enough hot girls in skimpy clothes. Nice try though.

BG3 and AC6 are both great games. In a way it's actually good that popular games get all the awards because then when you come back to lesser known, niche, hidden gem games you get a pleasant surprise when you play a game that turns out pretty great. Such is the glory of self-discovery.

Guilty_AI

BG3 and AC6 are both great games. In a way it's actually good that popular games get all the awards because then when you come back to lesser known, niche, hidden gem games you get a pleasant surprise when you play a game that turns out pretty great. Such is the glory of self-discovery.
True.

Only thing is, AC6 isn't one of such niche hidden gem. Its a popular release that topped charts and got tons of people playing it, so it doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom