• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 becomes first game to all the major 5 Game of The Year Awards

Draugoth

Gold Member

Baldur's Gate 3 continues its unbreakable winning streak to become the first-ever game to grab gold at all five major Game of the Year awards.

Developer Larian Studios walked away from last night's BAFTA Games Awards with another 'Best Game' trophy for its smash hit RPG, alongside wins for best music, narrative, supporting performance, and player's choice. That's an admirable bundle of trophies in isolation, but they also mark a new record.

Baldur's Gate 3 has now won the Game of the Year trophy - or equivalent - at the Golden Joysticks, BAFTAs, Game Developers Choice, DICE, and The Game Awards - the first game to sweep the biggest award at all five shows since the TGA's inception a decade ago.

Other heavy hitters have gotten close to a spotless streak in previous years. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have held that record in 2017 if the BAFTAs hadn't gone with the excellent family tragedy What Remains of Edith Finch. God of War similarly won four major GOTYs before the Golden Joysticks chose to honor (the admittedly more impactful) Fortnite in 2018. And Elden Ring almost claimed the record in 2022, but the BAFTAs instead gave the award to deserving indie roguelike Vampire Survivors.

Madflavor

One sec. I think I have something deep within the pockets of my PC. I know I left it somewhere, it might be in my - oh wait here it is found it:

GvOIhhN.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It all just comes down to the BAFTAs being all over the place, really.

Still the best game in 18 years.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have held that record in 2017 if the BAFTAs hadn't gone with the excellent family tragedy What Remains of Edith Finch.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

God of War similarly won four major GOTYs before the Golden Joysticks chose to honor (the admittedly more impactful) Fortnite in 2018.

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

And Elden Ring almost claimed the record in 2022, but the BAFTAs instead gave the award to deserving indie roguelike Vampire Survivors.

Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Other heavy hitters have gotten close to a spotless streak in previous years. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have held that record in 2017 if the BAFTAs hadn't gone with the excellent family tragedy What Remains of Edith Finch. God of War similarly won four major GOTYs before the Golden Joysticks chose to honor (the admittedly more impactful) Fortnite in 2018. And Elden Ring almost claimed the record in 2022, but the BAFTAs instead gave the award to deserving indie roguelike Vampire Survivors.

I think we can see the problem of why this hasn't happened before. Edgy BAFTA voters.

Madflavor

And Elden Ring almost claimed the record in 2022, but the BAFTAs instead gave the award to deserving indie roguelike Vampire Survivors.

Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Oh so a complete imbecile wrote this article then. Nobody is talking about Vampire Survivors in 2024. Nobody was talking about it in 2023 either. It's been two years since Elden Ring and people still talk about it. Right now in the middle of the day on Friday, Vampire Survivors has 31 viewers on Twitch, and Elden Ring has 12k. People are hyped up for Shadows of the Erdtree. The BAFTA were retards for giving the award to VS in 2022.

Top Bottom