• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 director meant to announce the Xbox version at The Game Awards, but completely forgot

Draugoth

Gold Member
Q2Dgh9UxNS85hUivr7mG8K-970-80.jpg.webp

Baldur's Gate 3's game director was meant to announce the Xbox version's release date last night at The Game Awards 2023, but he plum forgot.

Last night, Baldur's Gate 3 lead Swen Vincke was in Los Angeles to accept the Game of the Year award on behalf of all the developers at Larian. Apparently, Vincke was supposed to announce that the RPG was out on Xbox right then and there, as he was accepting the award, but by his own admission, he just plain forgot.

That's right - Larian's RPG was stealth-launched for Xbox Series X/S consoles yesterday, December 7, as a complete surprise. We had no idea the huge game would be released then and there, but we knew Larian was slated to make some big announcement about the port at the awards ceremony.

What Vincke did do with his acceptance speech, though, was pay tribute to Larian cinematics director Jim Southworth, who sadly passed away earlier this year. There are a few people in the responses to Vincke's tweet above praising the Baldur's Gate 3 director for paying tribute to Southworth in his acceptance speech.

Deft Beck

Didn't they announce the Complete Edition with Xbox boxes and everything visible (but with the PEGI logos lol) earlier in the show?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Stop getting overly emotional over your favorite toy brands and look in the mirror.
Can't blame him, he wanted to enjoy the moment.

Positive vibes only.
Edited for clarification on my post.

If you are implying that mentioning the series version is anything but a positive....

then...

...haha, fuck me...You are pathetic!

But, I agree. After learning about the 30 second timer...the team deserve their time to enjoy the win on cloud 9!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure that make any remote difference and pretty sure the hapiness of the prize was all in his mind at that time

Guilty_AI

He had a face of someone who was late for his date with the mattress if i'm being honest.

Last edited:

RickMasters

The most important thing was to speak about the people (staff and customers) that helped them win the award. Sorry.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky
I agree. It’s there moment. But they themselves planned to announce it. Would have been a great time to announce that yet even more players can play this amazing game on another platform it was long bound for anyway. I’m surprised you would see that as anything other than a positive.

Just saying.

StereoVsn

The most important thing was to speak about the people (staff and customers) that helped them win the award. Sorry.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky
Yep, plus at the end it’s an independent studio which has been making CRPG for years. Some successful and some not so much.

BG3 release success and excitement if actually winning GOTY with a CRPG was pretty big. Easy to get away in the excitement considering he had all of what 30-40 sec on that stage?

Last edited:

GHG

I agree. It’s there moment. But they themselves planned to announce it. Would have been a great time to announce that yet even more players can play this amazing game on another platform it was long bound for anyway. I’m surprised you would see that as anything other than a positive.

Just saying.

If I got the abuse he was getting on twitter when it was initially announced BG3 would be delayed indefinitely on Xbox due to the technical issues they were having, it would slip my mind during a moment of euphoria as well.

Last edited:

RickMasters

If I got the abuse he was getting on twitter when it was initially announced BG3 would be delayed indefinitely on Xbox due to the technical issues they were having, it would slip my mind during a moment of euphoria as well.

Or maybe amidst the excitement of winning he legit forgot? I doubt many professionals take the rambling of a few Twitter warriors as the speaking for the entire gaming community on a platform.

I think it was a legit mistake but obviously people here always got a fork to stick in anything Xbox related. 🤷🏾‍♂️

GHG

Or maybe amidst the excitement of winning he legit forgot? I doubt many professionals take the rambling of a few Twitter warriors as the speaking for the entire gaming community on a platform.

I think it was a legit mistake but obviously people here always got a fork to stick in anything Xbox related. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Honestly, I think he didn't care enough to say anything about it, would probably have been the last thing on his mind at the time.

CeeJay

Ah who cares, you won GOTY and had limited time to thank everyone! The news got out and Xbox guys (including myself) know its available now, no problem. Stop it with the squabbling trying to turn this into something it isn't.

RickMasters

Larian knows what this game is worth lol. Why settle for Gamepass when people will be clamoring to buy the GOTY?

I have it downloading, so gamepass or not I was gonna get this. Yeah it would have been nice if it came out months ago but who really cares? I was playing forza, and Armoured core along with cocoon and recently like a dragon gaiden ( Daytona USA 2…. Oh how I missed you!)

Worse thing is….. I might still put the play through on this on hold till after I start my cyberpunk play through for the first time. Too many good games on my account, and hard drives.

Unknown?

While you sleep, I will be getting more games through gamepass. You can't stop all of them. Eventually we will come for a game you love, a game close to your heart, and we will play it at no additional cost. This I swear.
That's if you still have it, must be tiring paying every month waiting for that gem to finally arrive.

skyfall

Why would you force someone to make a game announcement during an acceptance speech?

Last edited:

ungalo

Honestly this ceremony is a giant joke. People are advertising their games as they come on stage to take their award like what the fuck ? Like the Alan Wake guy that talks about an update for the game on stage when he gets his prize.

Half of the people don't even take the whole thing seriously it's almost funny.

Top Bottom