• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 has the best-reviewed slate of video games of the last 20 years

Spyxos

Gold Member

Video games scoring 90 or more on Metacritic​

By release year, scoring 90 or more on at least one platform; 2004–2023 (as of October 2023)

FCaNNge.png

It's not just a feeling that 2023 is one of the best years ever for video game releases. Soaring game review scores back that up.

Why it matters: Many of the best-reviewed games benefited from long development cycles, a sign that giving game creators more time is worth it.

Driving the news: This year has seen 25 games pull an average score of 90 or more on at least one platform, according to review aggregator Metacritic.

• For most of the last decade, the average count has been half of that.
  • Note: When checking this tally, we counted games that scored a 90 or better on at least one platform; some versions scored below that, in this year and in the past.
Details: Game studios' extraordinary output this year came from a mix of sequels that got lots of development time, plus a host of polished remakes and remasters.

• Nintendo developed The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (96 Metacritic) for six years, delaying it for more than a year for polish.
  • Larian Studios incubated Baldur's Gate III (96 Metacritic) as a publicly available early access game since 2020, before its completion this year.
  • Capcom's Resident Evil 4 (93 Metacritic) was the remake of an already beloved game.
  • CD Projekt RED spent an eye-popping $63 million on its Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty expansion (90 Metacritic), a part of an expensive reputation rehab effort for its studio, following the initially disastrous launch of the base game in 2020.
Be smart: Review scores aren't the only or even the best arbiter of quality, and even many 2023 games rated in the 80s were plenty impressive.

• Microsoft's Hi-Fi Rush (87), EA's Dead Space remake (89), FromSoftware's Armored Core VI (88) and indie upstart Pizza Tower (89) just missed the Metacritic 90 score this year.
What they're saying: "One of the reasons why it's such an incredible year is that some of these titles were supposed to release in previous years," Focus Entertainment's chief content officer Yves Le Yaouanq told Axios recently, as his company was releasing Chants of Sennaar, a translation game that's pulled an 85 on Metacritic.

• Pandemic-induced delays extended some development cycles, allowing for further iteration and even polish in the most unusual and trying of times.

• It helps that the so-called Gen 9 consoles, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, are entrenched now, both wrapping up their third year, Le Yaouanq notes.
  • Developers have had time to get comfortable making games on the newer tech. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (90 Metacritic) is development studio Insomniac Games' fourth PlayStation 5 game, including its second that didn't have to be designed to also work on the weaker PlayStation 4.
Yes, but: So many big, acclaimed games can make it hard for smaller games to find their audience, Le Yaouanq warns.

• "The more big games you have and the more great games you have, the more the prices for user acquisition are going up and the more complex it gets for small games to get visibility."
  • The great run of games hasn't spared the industry from a brutal year of layoffs, indicating that even high-quality releases can't stave off bearish cost reductions.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Title still goes to 2004. 2023 games are great but 2004 gave us some of the most groundbreaking and innovative games ever.

Ninja Gaiden, Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, GTA San Andreas, DOOM 3, Fable, Burnout 3, Far Cry, Jak 3, WOW, Battlefront, KOTOR II, NFS Underground 2, Gran Turismo 4, Snake Eater, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Onimusha 3, Def Jam Fight for NY, Sly 2, Up Your Arsenal, Dragon Quest VIII...

Come on. It's still 2004 and it's not close.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I resisted the narrative that this was one of the best years of all time, but the numbers don't lie. I think I'm giving out more of my personal 10/10 ratings this year than any other year I can think of.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
2023 has been a pretty disappointing year for me personally (other than AC6) but I'm not shocked at the high praise even if it is completely meaningless and has a lot more to do with the death of real journalism, the incestuous relationship with publishers, people with 'certain views' getting hired in games media (the bias that comes with it) and ESG scores than a perceived rise quality of games. Most "Reviews" are a joke at best and advertisements geared toward the career advancement of the writers it seems (you can find many examples) rather than an honest critique from passionate enthusiasts.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
2023 has been a pretty disappointing year for me personally (other than AC6) but I'm not shocked at the high praise even if it is completely meaningless and has a lot more to do with the death of real journalism, the incestuous relationship with publishers, people with 'certain views' getting hired in games media (the bias that comes with it) and ESG scores than a perceived rise quality of games. Most "Reviews" are a joke at best and advertisements geared toward the career advancement of the writers it seems (you can find many examples) rather than an honest critique from passionate enthusiasts.

Yeah, 2022 was legit but then 2023 became all incestuous and full of death or whatever shit you said. super weird.

And I guess no one wanted to advance their careers by giving Forspoken good reviews

Last edited:

ungalo

I agree that 2023 belongs with some of the best years in gaming, but people here with too much nostalgia on the mind will just say that 'critic scores don't matter' and dismiss it all entirely 🤷‍♂️
At the end of the day it's about what you think of the games you played, it would be completely dumb to say it's the best year of all time if you don't mean it.

Obviously everyone is biased, that's not really important, it's not like we could judge this objectively. But it seems some journalist are trying to make us believe we actually can, we just have to follow what they say.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Title still goes to 2004. 2023 games are great but 2004 gave us some of the most groundbreaking and innovative games ever.

Ninja Gaiden, Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, GTA San Andreas, DOOM 3, Fable, Burnout 3, Far Cry, Jak 3, WOW, Battlefront, KOTOR II, NFS Underground 2, Gran Turismo 4, Snake Eater, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Onimusha 3, Def Jam Fight for NY, Sly 2, Up Your Arsenal, Dragon Quest VIII...

2004 would have had a higher ratio, since there's MORE games these days. That's why you and I feel like 2004 was better.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Yeah, 2022 was legit but then 2023 became all incestuous and full of death or whatever shit you said. super weird.

And I guess no one wanted to advance their careers by giving Forspoken good reviews

What? Who said that? Who are you even talking to?

I can tell you have next to zero understanding of what I wrote (which is fine) yet you are responding like you do
with nonsense that has nothing to do with what I said? *looks at join date* putting you on ignore

It doesnt. Critics scores are irrelevant and should forever stay that away. Shame most f you still celebrate them. That being said, it is indeed a very good year since at least pre-covid, but I wonder if that means next year and the next we will enter in another slumber cycle like the previous two.
They clearly arent irrelevant and no, peoples attitudes towards review scores does not need to change simply because you want it to.
People are free to use reviews and whatever other criteria they see fit to decide what games/media they consume.
Grow up and realize not everyone needs to think and view things the exact same way that you do.

Spyxos

Gold Member
What? Who said that? Who are you even talking to?

I can tell you have next to zero understanding of what I wrote (which is fine) yet you are responding like you do
with nonsense that has nothing to do with what I said? *looks at join date* putting you on ignore
So everyone who joined in the year 2022 is not worth your time? If that's the case, feel free to put me on your ignore list as well.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They clearly arent irrelevant and no, peoples attitudes towards review scores does not need to change simply because you want it to.
People are free to use reviews and whatever other criteria they see fit to decide what games/media they consume.
Grow up and realize not everyone needs to think and view things the exact same way that you do.
If you consume based on someone else opinion you're a sheep. Simple as that. Only one who needs to grow up from that mindset is you. Also, lose the attitude and chill.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don’t care for actual “score” but this year was good year for gaming.

At the end of the day it's about what you think of the games you played, it would be completely dumb to say it's the best year of all time if you don't mean it.

Obviously everyone is biased, that's not really important, it's not like we could judge this objectively. But it seems some journalist are trying to make us believe we actually can, we just have to follow what they say.
The closest thing to an agreed upon opinion regarding gaming in 2023 is to say that this year deserves to be among the conversation in best years of gaming, as one of the best. However, saying this year is the best year ever in gaming is a much tougher objective claim to make.

My claim is towards the former and not the latter. Some here will try and convince me of neither. Then for some of them, I ask them what they've played this year and there's either crickets or they're listing their least favorite features of a gaas title's 2023 update.

If you consume based on someone else opinion you're a sheep. Simple as that. Only one who needs to grow up from that mindset is you. Also, lose the attitude and chill.
Stop thinking your the final authority on reviews. You're not.
People have the right to use whatever criteria they choose when deciding media to consume.
Thinking otherwise and calling people sheep simply because you disagree makes you a condescending, judgemental prick.
Get over it.
Lose your attitude and chill.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People have the right to use whatever criteria they choose when deciding media to consume.
Thinking otherwise and calling people sheep simply because you disagree makes you a condescending, judgemental prick.
Get over it.
Marilyn Monroe Goodbye GIF

Get over it.
Don't let him upset you into an accidental ban. You'll have to accept that that's just The Cockatrice The Cockatrice 's personality. He can be negative and skeptical but at least he doesn't play into a 'role' like a few others here.

MiguelItUp

That's cool and all, but for me what really matters are the number of games that I find fun and entertaining. From my perspective, looking at 2023 as a whole while knowing that is kind of surprising because a lot of those games don't interest me. So it ends up feeling no different than the previous year, or the years before that.

Mozzarella

2023 is great but lets not forget the remaster/remake helped boost it.
Remake 4
Metroid Prime
and even Witcher 3 next gen edition were all counted
Those are 93,94,94 easy boosting.

2023 is without a doubt a great year, even Xbox got some amazing exclusives this year and it feels like next-gen is finally kicking off.

Pigenator

Also many of the games releasing in 2023 or later have/had substantial development time with people working from home.
So big companies can stop pressuring people into coming to offices for... "reasons".

StueyDuck

it's so strange because in terms of excitement gaming can offer it was probably the blandest for a while.

not only are they mostly remakes but they are also mostly iterations.

apart form BG3 and FFXVI i've felt i've played everything before already.

this isn't to say that these games aren't great, RE4 DeadSpace etc are all great games, SM2 and TOTK are great games, they just aren't exciting games.

The secret though is VR, VR is keeping gaming fresh

Last edited:

violence

I'm mentioning 1998 because it is a personal favorite of mine and at least needs a mention. My current backlog is a madhouse.

The legend of Zelda ocarina of Time
Half-life
Metal gear solid
Resident evil 2
StarCraft
Gran Turismo
Tekken 3
Grimm fandango
Pokémon red and blue

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
can we get a full list of the 25 games that cracked 90+ this year?

And yes, Hi Fi and Pizza Tower should've scored well above 90

nial

Gold Member

jak 3 lel
good on the rest tho (mostly)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Since no one will do it....

the 25 90+ games/DLC in 2023

Baldur's Gate 3
TLOZ: Tears of the Kingdom
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
Metroid Prime Remastered
Tetris Effect: Connected
Resident Evil 4
Cocoon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Turbo Overkill
Diablo 4
Sea of Stars
Resident Evil 4: Seperate Ways
Slay the Princess
Rogue Legacy 2
Quake 2
The Making of Karateka
Dave the Diver
Persona 4 Golden
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Moss: Book 2
CP2077: Phantom Liberty
Jack Jeanne
Spiderman 2

There. That isn't even counting the high 80s games that are also very much worth your time, like Hi-Fi Rush, Pizza Tower, Armored Core 6, Pikmin 4, Octopath 2, Remnant 2, Alan Wake 2 (Which started off as a 90) and more.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

the 25 90+ games in 2023

Baldur's Gate 3
Metroid Prime Remastered
Resident Evil 4
Cocoon
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Turbo Overkill
Diablo 4
Sea of Stars
Slay the Princess
Rogue Legacy 2
Quake 2
The Making of Karateka
Dave the Diver
Persona 4 Golden
Jack Jeanne
Spiderman 2

There.
Yo, and that's not even mentioning Starfield, which should have gotten a 95+ .

nial

Gold Member

the 25 90+ games in 2023

Baldur's Gate 3
Metroid Prime Remastered
Resident Evil 4
Cocoon
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Turbo Overkill
Diablo 4
Sea of Stars
Slay the Princess
Rogue Legacy 2
Quake 2
The Making of Karateka
Dave the Diver
Persona 4 Golden
Jack Jeanne
Spiderman 2

There.
I don't think P4G, Ghost Trick, Quake 2 or Metroid Prime should be counted in the discussion about 2023, but it's still a strong selection of titles. And it's not even all this year has to offer, I really don't understand the haters on this one. Did they really fall on the "EVERYTHING ON CURRENT DAY BAD" meme?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
P4G, Ghost Trick, Quake 2 or Metroid Prime should be counted in the discussion about 2023
Hard agree. I feel like many remasters should be cut out of the 90s to make space for many high 80s games, as weird as that sounds. the original reviews of these old games still stand, and we should be praising originality, not remasters.

The only exception to that is Resident Evil 4 because I feel like so much was changed that it should be looked at in COMPARISON to the original and not as just remake or remaster of it

Last edited:
Top Bottom