• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon 4 (PS4/Steam) teaser trailer

The next entry in the side-scrolling action game series Double Dragon is finally here!
The story picks up after the elimination of the Shadow Warriors in Double Dragon II!

【Product Info】
Title : Double Dragon 4
Available on : PlayStation 4, Steam
Release date : Coming on Jan 30 , 2017
MSRP : Downloadable version \800 (tax incl.)
CERO : B
ESRB : TEEN (T)
PEGI : 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

jediyoshi

Count me in I'm liking the classic sprite work here.

I'm liking the idea in theory

1RCBahJ.png

woof

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'd rather take double dragon neon port to PS4 :/ I really enjoyed that game

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
NES--Double%20Dragon%20III%20%20The%20Sacred%20Stones_Apr6%2011_41_45.png

Name was wrong in the trailer. I am disappoint.

Jokes aside digging the classic look very much.

Card Boy

Banned
Why it call it Double Dragon 4? We already had Double Dragon 5 on the SNES which would make Super Double Dragon on SNES, the real Double Dragon 4.

Why not call it Double Dragon Rebirth or something?

Rymuth

Keep forgetting Abobo originated from Double Dragon. He is immortalized in my mind as the star of Abobo's Big Adventure.

Tizoc

Sure. Ok. I am down. Forgot Arc bought those rights.

What is actually funny is there is a Double Dragon 1,2,3 and 5 but never actually a game called Double Dragon 4 until now.

The game between 3 and 5 was Super Double Dragon.

THE MISSING LINK HAS BEEN FOUND!

Zee-Row

Banned
Why it call it Double Dragon 4? We already had Double Dragon 5 on the SNES which would make Super Double Dragon on SNES, the real Double Dragon 4.

Why not call it Double Dragon Rebirth or something?

That Double Dragon V game on SNES was trash and not made by Technos. It was based on that crappy cartoon.

thuway

Yeah I'm not sure what they are thinking here.
Did you see how poorly received Double Dragon Neon or TMNT in Time Ps3 were received?

This is the right decision and they must be thinking about the fan base that appreciates 8bit retro games and gameplay. There's a lot.

Parakeetman

I wonder how many of the Technōs Japan people Arc System Works picked up? Thats if they grabbed any when the studio went under that is.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder how many of the Technōs Japan people Arc System Works picked up? Thats if they grabbed any when the studio went under that is.

They became Million and developed Double Dragon Advance and River City Ransom advance. I don't know what happened to them after that though.

Psxphile

So this is like what Capcom did with Mega Man 9, huh? But why base the art direction on DD2 NES? Why not the arcade versions? Why not the far more playable and much prettier Double Dragon Advance? Strange decision, I guess they just really wanted to evoke the 8-bit look.

MilkyJoe

Did you see how poorly received Double Dragon Neon or TMNT in Time Ps3 were received?

This is the right decision and they must be thinking about the fan base that appreciates 8bit retro games and gameplay. There's a lot.

I can be serious, they can do a side stroller that looks fantastic, could have made it photo realistic. I appreciate an 8 bit indie gem, but this is double dragon Ffs.

DeMeester

This looks really great. And the original character designer (besides the creator and composer) is on board as well. Love me some Double Dragon II NES. Double dipping for sure.

EctoPrime

This needs a two button mode if it doesn't already have it. No mapping of jump to another button for the true DD platforming experience.

Zee-Row

Banned
So this is like what Capcom did with Mega Man 9, huh? But why base the art direction on DD2 NES? Why not the arcade versions? Why not the far more playable and much prettier Double Dragon Advance? Strange decision, I guess they just really wanted to evoke the 8-bit look.

The arcade sprites are junky compared to the NES games. Especially Abobo if he's in this game. I hope to God Abobo is in this. He's the series mascot in my eyes.

NES Abobo
abobo_render___8_bit_by_chimatck-d5t4sk6.png

Arcade Abobo
05-14-2007-doubledragon_abobo.jpg

Arcade Abobo just doesn't do it the same.

jett

D-Member
Honestly I did not expect a retro game. Not sure what to think. Looks a bit too close to the NES games, could've at least improved the animation with more frames. :p

I loved Neon despite its quirky art style so I won't dismiss this yet.

Parakeetman

They became Million and developed Double Dragon Advance and River City Ransom advance. I don't know what happened to them after that though.

”YOKOHAMA, JAPAN (June 11, 2015) - Arc System Works, developer of world-class fighting games such as the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series, is excited to announce that effective June 1st, 2015, all Intangible Property Rights of all titles previously owned by Technos Japan Corp.™, including but not limited to the “Double Dragon” series, "Super Dodge Ball" series, "River City Ransom", and the "Kunio-kun" series, has been transferred from Million Co., Ltd. to Arc System Works Co., Ltd. ”

Sounds like Million went tits up.

Liamario

Banned

It looks like ass. How poorly received double dragon neon was in no way justifies this game looking the way it does. I'd be very surprised if this does well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't even know Double Dragon Neon was poorly received. I thought it was damn awesome, to the songs, the jokes and such, the callbacks to 8 bit style...

Top Bottom