• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

1. The Witness ; The best puzzle game I've ever played, one of the best games ever, completely lived up to the hype.

2. Watch Dogs 2 ; I went from hating WD1 to loving the sequel. I absolutely loved the world and the gadgets.

3. Picross 3D: Round 2 ; Brilliant sequel in a brilliant series.

4. The Last Guardian ; Not perfect, but entirely what I was expecting.

5. Inside ; The last 30 minutes are some of the most sickening and exhilarating moments of the year.

6. Oxenfree ; This is how narrative storytelling can actually be woven into the gameplay successfully.

7. Mafia III ; This is how an amazing narrative and characters can be weighed down by a solid but excessive amount of gameplay.

8. Severed ; The story and art are utterly amazing. The dungeons and puzzles great fun. One battle made me want to chuck my Vita in anger. Thankfully I prevailed. Still a stellar experience.

9. Xanadu Next ; Open world Ys, a solid and hearty meal. XSEED and Falcom please keep feeding me.

10. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Another year this would be higher but I have barely scratched the surface. The quality of art design and UI are top tier. I love this type of Commandos gameplay and I know I will love the rest.

1. Inside ; artistic, thought provoking, simple, beautiful.

I'm only listing one. I played a lot of good games but Inside was the only great game for me.

1. Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End ; Naughty Dog is still the best at creating gameplay scenarios

2. The Last Guardian ; Years in the making, I'm glad Sony stuck with the project

3. Tomorrow's Children ; Go go Dylan Cuthbert!

Myzer

1. Uncharted 4 ; A great send off for some of my favourite characters of the previous generation
2. Ratchet & Clank ; The is how to do a remake/reboot. Simply stunning.
3. Stellaris ; 458 hours played probably says it all, it’s become my relaxing go to game after work.
4. The Last Guardian ; Endearing and charming. Just about everything I could have hoped for.
5. The Witness ; A truly great puzzle game, with a fantastic environment to explore.
6. Civilization VI ; Probably the strongest vanilla Civ yet.
7. Stardew Valley ; A fun, relaxing game.
8. Enter the Gungeon ; Not usually the type of game I enjoy, but it just played so well.
9. No Man’s Sky ; I didn’t buy into the hype pre launch, so I roughly got what I thought it was going to be.
10. Planet Coaster ; A great spiritual successor to the Rollercoaster Tycoon series.

Biff

1. Uncharted 4 ; A fitting end. Second-best entry in the series behind UC2.

2. Dark Souls III ; An average Dark Souls is still an excellent game. While I did have fun, I'm afraid Bloodborne's fast, dynamic fighting has exposed Dark Souls' clunky, last-gen controls. This series needs an engine revamp for DS4.

3. Clash Royale ; Should I play while I'm full on chests? Yes, yes you should. While the F2P mechanics can be sleezy at times, the actual gameplay is innovative, challenging, and wildly addictive. Supercell was on the verge of completely mishandling the game in the first 6 months, but have since pulled it far back from the brink with truckloads of content updates, gameplay balances, and actually fair F2P-friendly battle events.

4. Watch_Dogs 2 ; This game does not deserve to do well. There was so much wrong with the first entry that Ubisoft did not deserve a second chance. But they got one, and they didn't waste it.

5. Battlefield 1 ; I can't believe I'm about to write this, but this is the first FPS I have played in the last decade where the single player experience was better than the multiplayer experience. The campaign is tense, interesting, and damn fun. Multiplayer, however, is shallow and poorly balanced.

6. Furi ; So crisp. So fluid. This is the Afro Samurai game I've always wanted. The characters are so cool. The game bleeds style, but has the swordplay to back it up. Some really unique and memorable mechanics. If you haven't played this game yet, get on that today.

7. The Division ; Were there major bugs? Yes. Major balance issues? Yes. Slow update pace? Yes. Toxic community? Yes. Grinding? Yes. But was it fun? YES. Addictive? YES. Innovative? YES. It did more right than it did wrong, so I have to hand it to Ubi on this one. I can't believe my Top 10 has two Ubi entries in the same year.

8. Final Fantasy XV ; The style. The. Style. Such a fun game. If the first 15 minutes don't put a smile on your face, I'm not sure what can. And this is coming from someone who doesn't consider themselves a fan of the overall series.

9. Sky Force Reloaded ; If only Clash Royale was released 5 days earlier, SFR would hands-down be my mobile game of the year. This vertical scrolling bullet hell space shooter is every bit as good as its predecessor. A masterpiece in free-to-play done right.

10. The Last Guardian ; It's a fine game. Poorly responsive controls, a mind-bogglingly frustrating camera, and dangerous levels of overhype hold this game back (far, far back) from greatness.

My true #1 which is not yet eligible for 2016:
x. Paragon ; the first "MOBA" game to show me what I've been missing is a beautiful, third-person, console-friendly, not-actually-a-MOBA MOBA. Huh.

Other honorable mentions:
x. Pokemon Go ; For the month you were popular in my city, you allowed me to have an absolute blast with total strangers. I will always remember participating in this phenomenon. But real talk, Niantic, you guys dropped this ball so hard. What a complete and utter shame.

x. Titanfall 2 ; This is more like the FPSes I know and love. A mediocre, cheesy single player campaign (sorry GAF, you are not often wrong, but with respect to TF2's single player campaign, you are so wildly off the mark) that is more than made up for with ultra-fast paced, competitive multiplayer.

x. Dead Star ; My surprise of the year. This PS+ free game turns a Warcraft 3 pirate ship mod into a deep, competitive online battle arena.

1. The Last Guardian; beautiful and unforgettable, one of the standouts of this generation.
2. Pokemon Sun & Moon; the game I played most this year, and the only one I'll be playing next year. Best Pokemon game ever (until the third version).
3. Uncharted 4; an objectively amazing product and fitting end to the series. Naughty Dog are masters of their craft.
4. Overwatch; wait, I lied about Pokemon being the only game I'd still be playing in 2017. This game is as fun as it is infuriating.
5. Ratchet and Clank; pure bliss, makes me yearn for the PS1/2 days.
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; something was missing here. Still great, but there is a good reason it flew under the radar.
7. Forza Horizon 3; a really fun and gorgeous game that doesn't play to its strengths enough. Why offer a huge range of fast exotics and then make half the events boring offroad races with wonky physics and severely limited car selection?
8. Doom; it was a blast while it lasted, but I found it lacking substance.
9. Final Fantasy XV; I can't bring myself to play these big, long games anymore. It's tiring, especially with the incredibly slow pace of this one.
10. Dark Souls 3; better than Dark Souls II, but fatigue is kicking in majorly. Do something new, From.

5. Battlefield 1 ; I can't believe I'm about to write this, but this is the first FPS I have played in the last decade where the single player experience was better than the multiplayer experience. The campaign is tense, interesting, and damn fun. Multiplayer, however, is shallow and poorly balanced.

x. Titanfall 2 ; This is more like the FPSes I know and love. A mediocre, cheesy single player campaign (sorry GAF, you are not often wrong, but with respect to TF2's single player campaign, you are so wildly off the mark) that is more than made up for with ultra-fast paced, competitive multiplayer.

I can't comprehend this. I refuse.

Rolling Start

Neo Member
1. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; Another brilliant Atlus RPG with a fun cast and great battle system that worked really well with the musical theme

2. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; A surprising step forward for the series with much stronger character writing, a much needed shake up to the structure and the best Pokemon, Rowlet

3. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; Really a vote for the Japanese version from last year but it's hard to screw up a compilation of this series' best bits (minus Love Lab)

4. Fire Emblem Fates ; The two halves of the story feel distinct and cater to different playstyles and the presentation and gameplay mechanics were a huge improvement over Awakening

5. Xanadu Next ; Controls are a bit awkward, but everyone needs to check out this dungeon crawler, especially Souls fans

6. Picross 3D Round 2 ; The essential puzzler for 3DS - after the mediocre e games it was great to have a Picross game that really changed up the style of puzzles and had a heap to do

7. Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits ; A better Boku no Natsuyasumi game than a Pokemon one, but still far better presented than Game Freak's series

8. Final Fantasy XV ; Has a trainload of problems but still did a great job of making me care about the core characters

9. Pokken Tournament ; Single player sucks but I played more multiplayer in Pokken than any other game this year, despite only having the console for a few months

10. Style Savvy: Fashion Forward ; Forgot this came out in the US this year until I checked the spreadsheet. It's more Style Savvy so it's great!

Biff

I can't comprehend this. I refuse.

I recognize that I am the extreme outlier here ;)

I've played a lot (a LOT) of FPSes, so I suspect some of it has to do with future fatigue... But the TF2 campaign was just so cringey. Reminded me of pretty much every post-Modern Warfare COD campaign. It had some cool mechanics, but I'm tired of relying on those alone to push forward an FPS single player campaign.

I need good writing and good characters. And BF1 completely outshone TF2 in this regard, in my opinion.

Do I have to have all the comments about a game without any line breaks? I want to go in to detail for a lot of the games and think multiple paragraphs would help break it up.

1. Overwatch; would have scoffed at anyone who told me a PvP, online only FPS was going to my GOTY when freaking DS3 was also coming out, but here we are. Games don't get much more polished than this. In my mind, gameplay is king, and Overwatch easily takes it for me this year.

2. Dark Souls 3; I'm a diehard Souls fan. Despite many imitators, no other game, developer, or franchise has been able to capture this special kind of lightning in a bottle. Masterpiece.

3. Darkest Dungeon; Christ, this was an amazing year for me. DD is atmosphereic, legitimately challenging without feeling unfair, and so addictive. Must play for anyone not afraid of a challenge.

4. The Witness; don't get why I love it but I love it

5. Fire Emblems Fates Conquest; This is the FE game I was waiting for for about 12-13 years. Classic FE with some modern mechanics. Best FE since FE 2003 on GBA.

6. Inside; The polish on this game is nothing short of amazing. Honestly, I know it deserves to be higher, but the puzzles were just waaaaaay to easy compared to Limbo. I just ran right for a couple hours and watched an intriguing, awesome world and story unfold. It was definitely worth it. I personally preferred Limbo though.

7. Doom; I can't believe ANOTHER shooter made my list. Best FPS campaign I've played in ages. Rewarding exploration and collectibles mixed with awesome, frantic combat.

8. Pokémon Sun/Moon; 20 years later and I'm still a sucker for these damn games.

9. Odin sphere leifthrasir

10. XCOM 2

(Haven't gotten to play TLG yet)

Do I have to have all the comments about a game without any line breaks? I want to go in to detail for a lot of the games and think multiple paragraphs would help break it up.

The program I wrote reads in only the comments on the same line as the title. Feel free to go on and on in multiple paragraphs, as long as you start on the title line.

The program I wrote reads in only the comments on the same line as the title. Feel free to go on and on in multiple paragraphs, as long as you start on the title line.

How exactly what I go on to multiple paragraphs while staying on the title line?

I'll just double check after posting I guess, can always use backspace to smush it all together

How exactly what I go on to multiple paragraphs while staying on the title line?

I'll just double check after posting I guess, can always use backspace to smush it all together

It checks to see whether or not you've included any comments to disqualify people who left no comments at all. Comments on the same line as the title are included in the data package that's published with the results. If you want to go on for multiple paragraphs, you may do so, but anything beyond the first line will be left in this thread for people to read here.

It checks to see whether or not you've included any comments to disqualify people who left no comments at all. Comments on the same line as the title are included in the data package that's published with the results. If you want to go on for multiple paragraphs, you may do so, but anything beyond the first line will be left in this thread for people to read here.
oh that's fine, I doubt I would have gotten a featured comment anyway

hemtae

1. XCOM 2 ; It wasn't The Long War like the devs said it wouldn't be but it was still everything I wanted from XCOM with a side dash of slight performance issues.
2. Owlboy ; Really beautiful game. Hopefully its not to late to the party to enjoy the sales that other indie darlings like Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy got because it is absolutely in that quality tier.
3. Titanfall 2 ; I'll probably trust your opinion a little more after this one, NeoGAF
4. Civilization VI ; Very addictive gameplay and probably the most complete Civ game upon release since at least 3 (since I didn't play 3 upon release).
5. Dark Souls 3 ; It wasn't Dark Souls 1 but it also wasn't Dark Souls 2.
6. Tyranny ; A whole bunch of a good ideas strung together with combat on par with Dragon Age: Inquisition
7. DOOM ; Who would have thought that the crappy trailers and crappy demos would lead to a pretty good single player game?
8. Pokemon Sun ; Maybe it was the fact that I don't really like pokemon games anymore and only buy them because of a weird sense of duty to my early childhood but this being legitimately good was probably the second biggest surprise of November for me.
9. Dungeon Rats ; It was a dozen or so hours worth of Age of Decadence combat and I liked Age of Decadence combat.
10. I am Setsuna ; It was a pale imitation of the classics, probably priced a bit too high, and the combat had some weird contradictions to it but I still enjoyed it enough. Also the so-called repetitive piano music was great. Screw you guys.

Honorable Mentions
x. Bravely Second: End Layer ; It wasn't double the length it should have been like the first one.
x. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past ; I would be prepared to call this the best DQ game if not for the annoying interface.
x. Hyper Light Drifter ; It was ok. Really pretty though and I played before the 60fps patch. Remember kids: Day 1 is for suckers.
x. The Last Guardian ; The emotional moments didn't land well enough for me to overlook how frustrating it was to play.
x. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II ; It had an annoyingly long epilogue.

I recognize that I am the extreme outlier here ;)

I've played a lot (a LOT) of FPSes, so I suspect some of it has to do with future fatigue... But the TF2 campaign was just so cringey. Reminded me of pretty much every post-Modern Warfare COD campaign. It had some cool mechanics, but I'm tired of relying on those alone to push forward an FPS single player campaign.

I need good writing and good characters. And BF1 completely outshone TF2 in this regard, in my opinion.

Man, I played BF1's campaign at launch and I couldn't tell you a single character's name outside of Lawrence of Arabia (Duh). B.T. is a better character than anything DICE has ever created imo

Clunker

I love reading other peoples lists because it reminds me of what I liked about earlier games, in addition to recalling what actually came out.

Also: Still working on mine, but is anyone else surprised at the genre mix of what's ending up on their top 10s? I'm genuinely shocked that three FPSes are on my list because for the most part I barely touch the genre. This was a really good year for shooters and action titles.

welp, I'm going to bed soon

at over 1000 words with just two games

hopefully I'll finish by tomorrow night lol

here's a sneak preview because I know y'all are waiting with baited breath

a15x5eI.jpg

1. Overwatch; Blizzard's first new franchise in decades is amazing. The first multiplayer FPS I got into
2. DOOM; At long last, a worth DOOM sequel.
3. Tyranny;
4. Civilization 6;
5. Deus ex mankind divided;
6. Stellaris;
7. Shadow tactics;
8. Starbound;
9. SMT4 appocalypse
10. Ratchet&clank

Honorable mentions:
X. Dark souls 3
X. The last guardian
X. Tokyo mirage sessions

Non honorable mentions:
Uncharted 4
Fire emblem fates

1. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End ; Perfect send off for one of the most memorable franchises of the past generation. Amazing graphics, amazing characters, and amazing story.
2. Overwatch ; I have been so hyped for this game since the day that Blizzard revealed it and it did not disappoint. I had so much fun when the game first came out and still continuously play it.
3. Dark Souls III ; The perfect combination of what was good from the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne. Also, I loved the little connections it had with Dark Souls 1 and 2.
4. DOOM ; Fun and exhilarating FPS and probably the best FPS that has come out so far this generation.
5. Battlefield 1 ; The series needed this breather and wow is it amazing. The graphics are astounding and the gameplay is still fun.
6. Titanfall 2 ; Amazing story and amazing gunplay that improved on the first.
7. Rachet and Clank ; I didn't expect to like this and I never played the series before this, but I was surprised by it. Such a great game and looks amazing.
8. Pokemon GO ; The game died out fast, but when it was at it's peak and despite all its issues, the game was fun. The game changed my lifestyle and I'm sure it changed so many people's lifestyle too.
9. Monster Hunter Generations ; Different from the other games because of all the extra things they added. Your typical MH game, but incredibly fun.
10. Enter the Gungeon ;This game is just too fun because you won't know what will be at the next corner.

Tyaren

1. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Blood and Wine ; A beautiful yet dark, engrossing tale in one of the most gorgeous game worlds that I ever experienced. The expansion is the perfect ending of The Witcher saga and the perfect present for loyal fans.
2. Final Fantasy XV ; Ten long years we've all waited and despite it's many flaws and shortcomings it's still one of the greatest experiences I had in JRPG gaming. A true AAA JRPG like this doesn't come along often. More like only once in a decade...
3. Uncharted 4 ; The epitome of AAA gaming. Insane production value all around and an awe-inspiring and polished experience from start to finish. Also the perfect loyal fan pleaser.

(I'm by the way a bit surprised at the lack of Blood and Wine nominations, as I know it has been the true GOTY for many. Maybe it isn't clear to everybody that it's actually eligible for this votig?)

Mephala

I cannot in good conscience vote for games that are re-releases above new games out this year. There are also plenty of games I felt I shouldn't place in here because I haven't finished them such as Mankind Divided.

1. Overcooked ; It is charming, clever and I hadn't had such local MP fun in a long time. You needed strategy, coordination and execution but the chaos and panic is where it is the best. It isn't a game I have spent the most time on but it is still such a fantastic game.

2. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight ; Just very enjoyable game. I enjoyed almost everything about it. The controls were simple and responsive, the animations are cute and gorgeous, the game had a nice atmosphere that didn't go over board in mimicking Souls series. The difficulty felt right and the length didn't over stay its welcome.

3. Monster Hunter Generations ; If a MH game is released then there is a good chance I will nominate it for GOTY. A staple for me in terms of gaming. Enjoyable combat and mechanics. I have come to realise that I also really enjoy the grind in these games. Generations is a spinoff from the main series though and while I prefer to pace of the main game this new more action packed and flashy variant is also a welcome change of pace to play.

4. Titanfall 2 ; Shooters need to offer something interesting to keep me interested nowadays and the movement as well as the Titans themselves did just that. This is a shooter that interests me because I was at least partially forced to learn mechanics and practice them. The sliding, hopping, wall running, paths through maps all came to me bit by bit. I had to curb habits such as using ADS in all fights. This is far more engaging to me than Overwatch where I was required to learn match ups which often meant I shouldn't play who I liked and wanted to. Campaign was short and sweet. I love that it had a lot of ideas and gimmicks while serving as a tutorial for titan combat. I enjoyed the variety of Titans and learning each one was also quite fun. I don't think they are all balanced well but I have had fun with each and every one of them.

4 Dark Souls III ; I'm a big fan of the series and this was just what I needed. It was different enough to be engaging but similar enough to keep interested in the series as well.

5. Stardew Valley ; It is a nice and relaxing game with pretty good mechanics. I was utterly hooked for hours. I look forward to revisiting the game later as more features are added.

6. Overwatch ; I've dropped the game but my time with it was sweet and I have to commend Blizzard for their characters whom I do like a lot. The shorts and comics are also great.
Not as great as the fanart though.

7. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ; Atlus RPGs tend to be the ones that requires the most strategy and can be difficult if you try to attack/potion your way through like you can in majority of other games. For this alone I tend to love their games but SMT4A is a very good game outside of its combat as well. Good characters, good atmosphere and story.

8. Tokyo Xanadu Next ; Falcom RPGs are niche but I love them and will continue to support them. The game is responsive and fun.

9. Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen ; Great combat, creatures are animated and react nicely to different attacks and approaches. Pawn system is flawed but innovative at the same time. The changes to the PC version doesn't excuse how late it is but it makes a fun game even better. The character creator is also one of the few that I really like.

10. The House in Fata Morgana ; I didn't play many VNs this year but this clearly sat at the top for me. I enjoyed the art and the story gripped me.

Honourable Mentions
x. Under Night In-Birth Ex Late ; Huge list of fighters all over the place. The resurgence is great. I picked this partly because I have never played it but I found it enjoyable and all the characters were interesting and anime-y without being overly pandering like Arcana Heart 3. It isn't my favourite fighter at the moment but I feel like it is good enough to vote.
x. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; I didn't get a chance to finish it but I enjoyed it up to the point I was interrupted.
x. Black Desert Online ; I don't play too many MMOs any more but this wasn't too bad. While I enjoyed the art style of Blade and Soul a bit more this game is stunning to look at to say the least. The character creator alone makes it worth looking into if that is your thing.
x. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Enjoyed it but didn't have the time to sit down and finish it.
x. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 ; Speaks to my inner childhood nostalgia power fantasy fighting game fan.
x. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havok ; Intriguing, charming and kind of creepy. It hits a lot of odd notes that makes it stand out. The gameplay is fun and the puzzles were simple and while I generally guessed the culprits before the end of the trial it was still fun to break it down bit by bit with evidence and finally learning the motivations.

1. Pokemon Sun and Moon ; I love Pokemon games in general, just the fun of going on adventures and getting attached to your team of monsters can't be beat. Pokemon Sun and Moon happen to be the best in the series, somehow managing to outclass every previous game in almost every way. The new monster designs are incredible -- each monster is so well thought out in terms of its inspiration and lore, and there is really no filler. The region of Alola is beautiful and unique in a way no other Pokemon regions are. The story and characters are surprisingly good (and surprisingly tragic), though many of the important story details are developed by talking to NPCs around the game rather than in the main story cutscenes. The music is the best in the series too, the final battle theme being a special highlight. The twists they made to the formula all worked -- having the Totem Pokemon as boss monsters was really cool and way better than gym leaders. And the numerous quality-of-life improvements really smooth out the experience.

2. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; The Rhythm Heaven series is just pure fun. It's so fun to tap along to the beat to the incredibly silly games. Megamix is an especially good Rhythm Heaven game, featuring tons of content and some great quality-of-life improvements.

JediLink

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; I'm only voting for this game because I want it to get the attention it deserves. It's the best Ace Attorney in years.

barit

1. The Last Guardian ; There are many great games this year and everyone of them has somehow qualified for GOTY but TLG reminds me about a simple fact that (big) games can be more than the typical filling XP bar and go-there-and-kill-this game experiences that we all know from a good AAA blockbuster. The AI of Trico alone is a freaking marvel. If you ever had a pet in your life you should automatically feel familiar with Trico and immediately understand what Ueda and his team tried to achieve. If you can overlook the sometimes clunky controls and frustrating camera positions and accept that Trico is big creature with his own mind and that YOU follow him on his journey and not the other way around this is the probably the greatest game you can play this year.

2. Titanfall 2 ; I had DOOM as my first GOTY FPS choice in mind for this year beaten by BF1 late November but now I´m convinced that Titanfall 2 is the only logical vote here. Maybe Overwatch would´ve snack it if I had played more than the Open Beta. Titanfall 2 however is currently the best fast-action FPS you can play on consoles right now. It has a great single-player campaign like DOOM and some of the most addictive multiplayer in my opinion.

3. Uncharted 4 ; Perfect ending for a great franchise. Truly the best Indiana Jones inspired game adoption you will ever play. Best acting and writing if you like the characters and games that Naughty Dog created now almost 10 years back. The MP keeps it fresh long after you beaten the story. I like the gameplay a lot and think that you can pull off some crazy bad-ass online play if you have the skills and patience.

4. Final Fantasy XV ; Yes, Square did it again. They made finally Final Fantasy exciting and interesting again. The new look feels fantastic and the open world is as big as it can be. Speaking of filling XP bars. If you have to do it than do it like this. With style and food at a campfire.

5. Alienation ; My biggest wish for some years was a good Diablo clone in a Sci-fi settings. Housemarque granted me that wish and put one of their own games (Dead Nation) to the next level. Alienation feels more like Diablo 3 than Dead Nation to me even if you can see its roots and sadly Alienation has not the deep wealthiness item list and story of a higher production Diablo game. But it´s still damn fun especially in 4 local coop. Best digital only game for me this year.

6. DOOM ; It would´ve been so much higher on my list if I had more fun with the MP. The reboot of the franchise was by all means damn good from Id Software. The campaign is just marvelous and one of the best FPS experiences this year. The maps and weapons are awesome and the presentation and overall feeling is exactly what I wanted from a modern Doom game. The MP however feels not good enough to me. I appreciate Snap Map tho, some of the creations reminds me on StarCraft 2 customized matches.

7. Battlefield 1 ; After Battlefront I thought I´m done with Dice games but BF1 beta got me back in. And it is indeed a more refined and packed Battle game you could´ve ever dreamed of. Plays fast and looks gorgeous. A well made WWI shooter with some intensive but chaotic firefights.

8. Overwatch ; Sadly only played the Open Beta so far but I can see why it still is on my most wanted list for 2017. I know that I can trust Blizzard when it comes to good well designed games.

9. XCOM 2 ; Love me some XCOM. This is no exception. Bigger and better but the enemies are now in superior numbers. It´s hard but well rewarding.

10. Invisible, Inc ; Neat little turn-based tactical espionage game. Finds its way finally to consoles and I can see why it still gets some awards from the PC crowd. A perfect Klei Entertainment product.

Robiin

More people need to get on that Witness hype train, son. I though long and hard which game was my #1 this year, and my head just kept getting back to it. It made a lasting impression for sure, and it was one of the first releases of the year!

More people need to get on that Witness hype train, son. I though long and hard which game was my #1 this year, and my head just kept getting back to it. It made a lasting impression for sure, and it was one of the first releases of the year!
Lots of people seem to shrug it off as a maze game lacking a quirky AI companion. :/

Buzzi

1. The House in Fata Morgana ; Amazing ost, art and writing, one of the best VN i ever read.
2. Umineko When They Cry (Question Arc) ; Lucky to have joined gaf in time to vote my most favourite THING ever: I'm not giving it first place because the Steam port is quite lazy if not awful (the new sprites) and the fan patch is needed to have the full, memorable Umi experience. Seriously, read it.
3. Picross 3D: Round 2 ; It was really a good step up from the first one (which already was great), with different modes and a much better presentation.
4. Pocket Card Jockey ; Could be balanced better (and have more events), but a great hybrid with an addictive gameplay.
5. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; I'll never forger them for the lack of a complete new ost, but it was intense and wrapped things nicely for the trilogy, although it's far from the high of 999.
6. Muv Luv ; Unlimited was quite good and gave me hope for Alternative, but Extra really dragged itself too much into cliche territory.
7. My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ; Not bad (with good fanservice music too), but the repetition of puzzles was a cheap move.

1. Overwatch - There have been only a few multiplayer games I have liked over the years: COD4, Mass Effect 3, and Last of Us. Only Overwatch has kept me playing so long and invested me so much. To this day I still look forward to playing it and to the new updates! I live close to Blizzard, as well, so it's cool to realize everything being worked on is being worked on by your neighbors :)
2. The Last Guardian - Loved every moment. The controls and camera were terrible, but it easily made up for it with everything else. Trico was so awesome and I got so attached to him like I didn't think I could with another video game character.
3. Uncharted 4 - Overall a very polished journey and well pieced together. I appreciate the slower pace, and hope ND continues with this style going forward. Although, I think they need to work on making it more replayable and less dependent on segments with no real action. I replayed every Uncharted game but this one because the story segments were just annoying in a way they never were before.
4. Blood and Wine - Never beat it, but plan on it (Overwatch distracted me). Was immediately invested and reminded why I loved the base game so much :)
5. Pokemon Sun and Moon - This game was so much fun the whole way through. I have high hopes for the Switch version to modernize the game a bit more and add a little more of the "umph" you can tell the games are trying to achieve. Hopefully a better post game is planned as well. Easily the best games in the series!
6. Ratchet and Clank - Was shocked with how much I enjoyed this game. I beat it 4 times! Am still waiting for a game as robust as UYA, but this was a fantastic step forward everywhere else. You can tell this game had a shoe-string budget, but it was still so good. The next one will be fantastic if they keep it up.
7. Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice - Playing through this right now. I love Phoenix Wright whenever every time! Haven't beat it yet, so it could theoretically be higher, but, I feel like this is a good place for it. I hope for a long and healthy life for this franchise. I'll cry the day Capcom cancels it (I already cry every time they don't release one in the west).
8. Deus Ex - This game feels super underrated. I was very immersed the whole way through and even read all the emails and notes I came across, which I never do. It took me about 30 hours to beat and could totally tell the ending was coming unlike most (I don't know how you couldn't?) so it felt very fulfilling to me. Hopefully they finish the trilogy, even though it looks like it will be on hold, if not for more than a few years, then indefinitely.
9. Dark Souls 3 - Great fun like all souls games! Not much else to say. You love souls games, you'll love this.
10. Fire Emblem Fates - These games are always really fun and I am always excited to play one! This game was top notch, but I never finished it cause life got in the way. I never felt compelled to complete it, but I will someday. It took me 3 years until I beat awakening. I'll beat this one eventually.

Overall this was a fantastic year for games (maybe not for the real world though :/). A lot of great titles that kept me invested unlike what the last few felt like. If any of these games released in 2014, they'd be GOTY.

leftstick

Neo Member
I really didn't play many games this year, didn't really have the time.

1. Doom; Rip and Tear! Doom was an experience that knew what it was, and nothing more. A fast, fluid FPS that not only felt like a throwback to the old school shooters from the 90s brought into 2016 with ease.

2. Hitman; I was kinda hesitant about the episodic format, but if any non-telltale game could feel like a natural fit, it was Hitman. Each chapter had enough replay value between the challenges and the various extra contracts to keep me satisfied until the next chapter was released.

3. Battlefield 1; It's more Battlefield, with a WWI skin, which means a hell of a lot of fun.

4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; One of my favorite game series ever, but there was something missing keeping this game from being higher on the list. I think only having one city to explore kept it from feeling anything more than the opening chapter of a larger story.

5. SuperHot; I love the mechanics of time doesn't move unless you do. The full speed replay at the end made me feel like a badass.

6. Life is Strange; Pretty good story with some fun time bending elements.

7. Resident Evil 0; Pretty good trip through survival horror history.

8. Broforce; Had a lot of fun with friends.

Wollan

Having read the thread it has now led me to purchase of Stardew Valley (last years Goty thread lead me to buy Life is Strange).

EGOMON

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End ; Everytime Naughty Dog releases a game it create a new standards for that respective genre and Uncharted 4 is no exception it is the best TPS story driven game with unmatched set pieces, pacing and animation.

2. The Last Guardian ; The 10+ wait was worth it, amazing UI and Ico team typical emotional journey

3. Ratchet & Clank ; If you want to play a light hearted pure fun game with amazing art and graphics then this is the game to play in 2016

4. Dragon Quest Builders ; My most played game of this year i never liked Minecraft but this one better in every possible way.

5. The Tomorrow's Children ; One of the most underrated, hidden gems of 2016 many people judge it from the trailers and never tried but once you got test of it you will be sucked in it for countless hours very addicting and unique take on survival rouge games

6. The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ; Few ARPGs can impress me nowadays after playing Dragon's Dogma DA on PS3 but the Witcher 3 came very close to it i very much enjoyed through and through

7. Final Fantasy XV ; My first FF game and wow i regret not buying the old ones bur fron now on will be there for all FF games

8. Alienation ; Housemarque game enough said !

9. Gravity Rush Remastered ; One of the best PSV games made it to the PS4, Kat <3

10. Earth Defense Force 4.1 ; EDF EDF EDF !!!

okay i'll bring some color here into GAF, so not all nominations will be story driven console games
(please don't take my dig to personally or as being offensive, but GAF is a little homogenous when it comes to taste and i find that kind of sad. Persona 5 will be voted in the top10 for most anticipated game of the year for the fourth year in a row now :D)

poe_gotyevuxh.png

1. Path of Exile: Ascendancy ; PoE deserves GOTY basically every year. It's the best loot based RPG ever created and gets better with every expansion and likely no future game created will reach PoE in this category. If not that, what does deserve GOTY? It has the hands down best loot system, craft system, currency system, skill system and spell system. The game is fun and easy for a newcomer Hack n' Slay Player, but also deep and long lasting for hardcore theorycrafter. I was addicted to Diablo 2, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and The Divsion, so i know a little about those type of games...

overwatch_gotyxzz2n.png

2. Overwatch ; Many thoughts are already here, so you can read what makes this game great. I just like what the game did for the diversity of the Gaming Community. So many different people of all genders, age, genre preference and cultural background can and do enjoy the game. It never happend before, that ONE game got both female and male player. got both the East and West addicted. is appropriate for both adults and kids. gets First Person Shooter and MOBA fans in.

clash_goty38x3l.png

3. Clash Royal ; The perfekt short time sink for Mobile. I do not like or enjoy Clash of Clans and those type of games for long, because they tend to be very time consuming if you want to achieve something. Royal is different and also fun on low tiers, without the feel of being week or having a small kingdom only. Other card games did that before, but this game got the masses, because of it's simplicity

4. Astroneer ;The game No Man's Sky should have been and without all the unwarranted hype und fuckups.
5. Battlefield 1 ; Finally no more modern - and/or future warefare only anymore
6. Doom ; Great gameplay and story + best soundtrack this year. so yeah my list needs one of those games, too ;)
7. Forza Horizon 3 ; One of my favourite genres, that does not get enough love these days anymore. and FH3 was the best game by far in the racing game genre
8 - 10 to come (maybe)...

1. Doom ; Not many people expected this game to be as good as it was and iD basically proved that they've still got the chops to churn out a game that's not just technically sound, but also, fun to play. I love this game more than I loved Wolfenstein - The New Order and that's saying something because, I played Wolfy for over 50 hours.

2. Overwatch ; Blizzard created a pop-culture phenomenon out of the ashes of a failed MMO. I've never bought, let alone played any Multiplayer-only game in my life, but Overwatch has consumed a huge chunk of my time since I bought it on sale.

3. XCOM 2 ; Jake Solomon just GETS XCOM and what makes the game tick. It wasn't just the fact that the monsters were bigger and badder, the stakes were higher and the timers made almost every mission tense (along with the fact that they actually fit thematically), it was also the fact that despite trying to make the story more "cinematic", the emphasis on YOUR troops, YOUR team still remained intact. Too bad the DLC was trash.

4. Hitman ; I bought Hitman on a pretty high discount, chiefly because I didn't want to support "Online-only" unlock system that SE and IO were pushing. They did backtrack on it once the game was fully released, but the initial reception was controversial, to say the least. It's a testament to how good the game was that it still managed to make my top 5 of the year. This is a worthy sequel to Blood Money and all the mistakes from Absolution have been rectified. Hitman 2016 is THE MURDER SIMULATOR of our generation, successfully replacing Blood Money on that front and proving once and for all that IO haven't lost the knack for creating a good Hitman game.

5. Dark Souls III ; I'm a Souls game newbie. I've only finished Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, so the complaints about Dark Souls 3 being only a "Greatest Hits" version of Souls franchise don't ring a bell with me. I loved Dark Souls 3. It was hard, but fair and even though by the end, it didn't make me feel like a badass hunter like Bloodborne did, the gameplay and the lore (which I pieced together from in-game descriptions and online wikis) made sure that it was one of my most-played games of the year. I eagerly await the release of whatever Miyazaki is working on right now.

6. Ratchet & Clank ; I love the Ratchet and Clank franchise. I sincerely believe that it is the best thing Insomniac have ever worked on. The Reboot was a huge hit and the only bad thing that I can say about it is that it didn't have any DLC. I love how frantic the battles can get on Hard mode and it is one of those games that's meant to be played on Hard to actually enjoy it.

7. Life Is Strange ; Life is Strange was a better Tell Tale game than anything Tell Tale have released in the past couple of years. It did suffer from a lot of the shortcomings of the "choices matter (not really)" walking simulator games, but the game had heart and the final choice actually has a right and wrong answer, in my opinion.

8. Alienation ; Alienation is perhaps the most overlooked video game on my list. Playing it on Hard with a friend and mowing down hordes of aliens was an experience unlike any other. I love how it mixed up the the twin sticks shooter with the Diablo loot aesthetics and although they ended up short of what they wished the game could be, I'm hoping that next time Housemarque'll hit it out of the park.

9. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered ; I think this is the only game I've triple dipped on in my life. I love Valkyria Chronicles and the only reason it isn't higher on the list is because this is only a remaster. This is one of the best Turn-based RPGs ever created and the battle system has NOT aged at all and consequently, the game is just as fun as it was back in 2008.

10. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; Another game that would be higher on my list if it wasn't a re-release/remaster. Danganronpa is like a deranged version of Ace Attorney and I heartily recommend it to anyone who wishes to get into the Visual Novel genre.

Mechazawa

s3TGyEQ.gif

1. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ; The PC port of Dragon's Dogma was the first time I got real serious with the game, and man, what a ride it was. People like to rag on Dragon's Dogma for having a dry world, but I found that it couldn't be further from the truth. This is a game where a Griffin periodically comes down and fucks with you and then flys away because it knows you can't do shit about it until you make the long and arduous trek through bandit-infested territory to put a knife in it's stomach. This is a game where a bounty is put on your head and a group of assassins periodically try to kill you across the entire overworld map. This is a game where horny Ogres steal your female allies and then literally dropkick you on your way to a fortress that's been overtaken by Goblins. This is a game where a little rich girl is a giant dick to you, so you get to implicate her dad of various crimes, have him sent to prison and force the child into a life of squalor. This is a game where you can get a girlfriend by gifting her tons of booze. Wait a minute...

All of these wonderful touches to the world are held up by the best, most flexible, most responsive and most flashy combat system any open world game has ever had and it's all set in a universe that feels legitimately dangerous with monsters, bandits and cultists constantly breathing down your neck and ready to nuke your ass for stepping foot into certain parts of the world too early.

I love you Dragon's Dogma. Be my beloved.

pI9LtVt.gif

2. Overwatch ; Team Fortress 2 is dead. Long live Team Fortress 2.

Ewzs7Hn.gif

3. Titanfall 2 ; Titanfall 2 is a game that I feel should have been a slam dunk and should have been my GOTY, yet is unfortunately plagued with maps of questionable quality. And there aren't that many of them to begin with. Specifically, Titanfall 1 shipped with 15 maps, 14 of which I consider stellar. By contrast Titanfall 2 shipped with 9, now has 10, and of those 10, 2 are fairly horrendous by a wider margin than anything that was in TF1. And yet I have to play them consistently.

Why am I harping on this? Because maps make the shooter. They dictate the flow of matches, how I kill and how I get killed. And especially with a game like Titanfall, well made maps are incredibly important for ensuring that pilots can smoothly and successfully navigate across terrain quickly while also doubling as effective combat arenas for the Titans themselves, and both are consistent issues with the maps on display in Titanfall 2.

The movement is beautiful. The new weapons are absurdly fun and silly. The individual pilots skills are incredibly varied and useful. But we went from some of the all time greatest shooter map designs to maps of middling quality. And while I really enjoyed the single player and thought it had some incredible pacing and great level design, it's still just a sub 8 hour single player campaign, and the inclusion had a direct detriment to the portion of the game that I'm actually going to be spending the next year or two on.

But still. No one is making movement and momentum based shooters quite like Respawn is. And for all the faults with the maps in TF2, it's hard to deny how right everything else ended up being.

djWchpF.gif

4. Deadbolt ; Take one part Blade, one part Hotline Miami, sprinkle in some noir, and what you get on the other end is motherfuckers trying to iceskate uphill Deadbolt.

What may just look like some random indie PC game is actually probably the perfect refinement of that room-clearing, weapon improvising, psuedo-stealth formula that Hotline Miami popularized. And unlike Hotline Miami, Deadbolt is played from a 2d sideview reminiscent of Gunpoint, which alleviates one of the more aggravating issues of not always having a great sense of your surroundings or when enemies have been triggered.

Deadbolt's a fantastic, yet challenging game with a ton of cool weapons to unlock and play around with, a phenomenal sense of style and an incredible soundtrack. Highly underrated, highly recommended.

zbftxar.gif

5.. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; From a gameplay standpoint, Mankind Divided is the perfect evolution of Human Revolution in all the ways that matter. From the much more satisfy and less finicky shooting model, to the much improved cover and stealth interactions, to even the new augmentation toys(such as the blink...hmm), Eidos Montreal was smart about smoothing out the rougher edges of the Deus Ex experience.

We also went from dry and frankly ugly locales like Hengsha and, uh... Detriot and Eidos Montreal coalesced all their manpower to take us to beautiful Prague, which is so chock full of secrets and alternate passageways that it washes away whatever resentment I might've had about the reduction in the number of hubs. And that's really the star of MD. For all the complaining I've heard this year about how “same-y” Mankind Divided is, it's an argument that falls apart once you take the time to appreciate how much more intricate the layout and level design in this game is.

Which is why it's so unfortunate that MD left so much unresolved and ended the way it did. It's a fantastic, meaty ride, but you might not even come away with that impression a couple of hours after beating the game due to just how poorly it wraps up.

B3xDdsN.gif

6. Doom ; Rip and Tear, until it is done.

Doom is maybe the one of the smartest and most unconventional solutions I've ever seen to modernizing an old beloved property. How do you make a modern Doom? Well, it turns out, you structure it like a Devil May Cry game. Lock the character in an environment during fights, make them do some light platforming in-between moments of respite and sprinkle in some carefully paced backtracking. Make sure the player has a sense of progression by giving them weapon upgrades and moveset upgrades. Throw in some secret missions as a bonus.

Genius. GENIUUUUUS.

That comparison also doesn't do justice to the fantastic level design within the actual fight rooms or the wonderful interplay between the various demons or how MINDBLOWINGLY GOOD the game runs.

You did it, id.

YOU DID IT.

YOU DID IT.

N5ZdTv5.gif

7. Street Fighter V ; The netcode barely functions. Dailies were missing for months. A proper ragequit solution was missing for months. Proper arcade stick functionality was missing for months. The servers are down for literal hours every time they release a new patch. The CFN and fighter id stuff are only now just sorta working. It gave me a FUCKING ROOTKIT.

That is how good the street fighting in Street Fighter V is. This is how much I value having 3rd Strike characters in a new game. This is how much Urien's massive, bulging god-like schlong means to me. All hail the schlong. PS don't tell anyone I secretly mostly just use his default costume.

33MDmfn.gif

8. Dark Souls III ; I am admittedly only roughly halfway into DS3(that's still 30+ hours chill out I'm working on it don't judge me you don't know me). But it turns out that all of the quality of life improvements from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 rolled into a less whimsical DS2 and into a more oppressive DS3 is still enough to have the game chart in my top ten, despite not seeing the finish line. I also appreciate that invaders eating shit got carried over from Bloodborne.

Also helps that the Caestus are still here and still stunlocking the fuuuuuuck out of everything. Punch fever forever and ever.

2BSK80A.gif

9. Battlefield 1 ; Battlefield 1 is the first Battlefield in a pretty long time that I've really enjoyed and I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's because the gear and equipment are far less obtuse than in the previous games or maybe it's because of the focused nature of the Operation mode lends itself to more frequent firefights or maybe it's because semi automatic rifles are fun as hell to shoot and reload in video games or maybe it's because it only takes me 100 years to load a BF1 match rather than the millenium it took in BF4 and BF3.

It's probably just the sick capes, though.

7Gp7STZ.gif

10. Earth Defense Force 4.1 ; EDF is a stupid game where you spend 50 hours zoning giant bugs and robot aliens and can call in reticule guided airstrikes, and have laser chainsaws, and Batou and Iron Tager's voice actors spend hours talking like they're in a low budget Godzilla dub, and where foot soldiers literally have nonsensical conversations as a result of the game randomly stringing together independent catchphrases and this is not happenstance shit this is something the game does on purpose because Sandlot knows it's hilarious and they're right because they're Sandlot.

“Hey, don't die.”

“Let's talk about this tomorrow.”

I now understand the sweet siren call of EDF. I love you EDF. I just wish you didn't make me spend 900 centuries picking up 200 lootboxes filled with trash at the end of every level.

Honorable Mention
x. N++ ; It's N+ but with a fuckload of levels, user creation tools, a bangin' soundtrack and lookin' criiiiiisp.
x. Monster Hunter Generations; I did not play a ton of this but the Long Sword has a parry in this one so I don't know that probably means this is the actual best game released this year.

okay i'll bring some color here into GAF, so not all nominations will be story driven console games
(please don't take my dig to personally or as being offensive, but GAF is a little homogenous when it comes to taste and i find that kind of sad. Persona 5 will be voted in the top10 for most anticipated game of the year for the fourth year in a row now.
Not sure you can say that when the last two winners were Bayonetta 2 and Bloodborne and Overwatch is doing really well this year, as well as many other games in different genres. Uncharted 4 was always bound to do well though. It's the highest-rated game this year and a sales hit.

Phinor

1. XCOM 2 ; With this sequel they improved almost every aspect of already great game so what else could it be but number 1? The previous XCOM was widely awarded back when it was released but because XCOM 2 released on PC first without a huge marketing push, it was never going to get the recognition it deserves considering it's simply better than the previous game. The DLC was pretty crap though, and story missions still play on non-randomized maps so replayability suffers.
2. World of Warcraft: Legion ; Best leveling experience and content WoW has ever had. Too bad it still couldn't hold my attention after the first month. I'll be back with the next expansion though, no question about that.
3. Dark Souls 3 ; In hindsight this is probably my least favourite Soulsborne game. Actually DS2 has really grown on me after playing through DS3. The first DLC was pretty crap too but even with all that, it's a Souls game so I really enjoyed it and it compares very favourably against just about every other game released this year.
4. Battlefield 1 ; I was really excited when I heard about DICE going with WW1. I was really disappointed when they unveiled the game because of how non-WW1 it looks and feels. It's the automatic weapons and scopes, they just don't belong to a WW1 game. However once I stopped thinking it as a WW1 game, I started having fun. It's a great multiplayer shooter with minor ties to WW1. Singleplayer wasn't good though, shame they can't figure that part out.
5. Dishonored 2 ; Another game that improves on a previous entry but was also a disappointment. A bit of a theme in my list. Gameplay is great, level design remains one of the best, the game world remains interesting and I couldn't care less about the story. Shame about that.
6. Firewatch ; Just a fun 3-4 hour mystery that unveils as you play. I really enjoyed just about everything in this game, especially the characters and writing.
7. Titanfall 2 ; Yet another game that kind of improves on a previous entry but in some other ways is disappointing. The SP campaign was really fun and while the multiplayer works, and is great, it also couldn't hold my interest for more than 10 hours. Same as with the original Titanfall, there's something wrong with longevity of this game type and adding a ton of unlockables didn't solve that issue.
8. Quantum Break ; Finally a shooter game where I also enjoyed the story! This time around I had issues with the gameplay, it wasn't quite as fun as it should have been. Still, I really enjoyed playing this one and wanted to see how it all concludes.
9. Doom ; I had written this one off, then I played the multiplayer alpha/beta and it was even worse than I thought it could be. After all the positive reviews I decided to give it a shot and it surprised me, it was actually fun. Most surprising game of the year based on my expectations.
10. F1 2016 ; Dirt Rally was my game of the year last year and this year Codemasters really improved with their F1 series. It's one of the best offline circuit race track type of games ever made. It's just in between simulation and arcade like Forza games, fun and pretty easy (with a wheel) but there's just enough real stuff under the hood to make it also very enjoyable to drive. Some people hate the AI year after year but I've considered it one of the better ones for years to race against and F1 2016 remains the same, it's just fun racing against the AI. Except when it rains, this time around they are too slow on water while last year they were too quick on water.

This year had absolutely ridiculous amount of great games (I have around 50 games in the list I seriously considered for top 10) but not a single game that I would consider generational game. Fantastic year without a perfect 10/10. I wish I could highlight more flawed games in my top 10 but there's only 10 spots.

Not sure you can say that when the last two winners were Bayonetta 2 and Bloodborne and Overwatch is doing really well this year, as well as many other games in different genres. Uncharted 4 was always bound to do well though. It's the highest-rated game this year and a sales hit.

maybe it's just me, but i find those 3 games (bayonetta, bloodborne / souls games and uncharted) to target and appeal to the exact same audience. hardcore console gamer. not that this is in anyway a bad thing. you like what you like and enjoy

this year will be a race between UC4 and Overwatch.
most anticipated game of 2017 will be between RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn
know your audience, and the winner is predictable. Overwatch looks to be the outliner, but deservedly so :)

edit: it's okay to have a discussion in this kind of topics?!

maybe it's just me, but i find those 3 games (bayonetta, bloodborne / souls games and uncharted) to target and appeal to the exact same audience. hardcore console gamer. not that this is in anyway a bad thing. you like what you like and enjoy

this year will be a race between UC4 and Overwatch.
most anticipated game of 2017 will be between RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn
know your audience, and the winner is predictable. Overwatch looks to be the outliner, but deservedly so :)

edit: it's okay to have a discussion in this kind of topics?!

Discussion is only encouraged I'd say. Sure, they're all console games but the first two are decisively more hardcore than the latter when it comes to game design and they reach a much smaller audience. Speaking of which, games like The Witness and The Last Guardian are also doing really well, which is nice to see. I think this will be one of the most varied game lists on GAF and I'm not even sure UC4 will take it.

Most anticipated will probably be Breath of the Wild I think. ;)

sanstesy

1. DOOM ; it is certainly the best FPS in quite some time and the best thing about it is they still can improve so much more on the foundation they built. And I actually didn't care for the soundtrack at all which I found way too one-dimensional and repetitive, though it served its purpose.
2. Pokemon Sun & Moon ; best Pokemon game since B2&W2. Good designs, solid difficulty, nice soundtrack, very charming characters and again a very nice foundation for future instalments. Also - the SOS mechanic suXXX and needs to be implemented differently.
3. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; some of the best writing you can find, amazing soundtrack and great world/level design. The battle mechanics are still not the best but they are mostly serviceable & more importantly not annoying to the core so here I can enjoy mostly everything else great about it which there is lots of it.
4. The Witness ; what I've played of it has been seriously great but I just didn't have the time to invest for such a game. The game is also gorgeous.
5. Pokemon GO ; had some fun outside with friends of mine when it came out so that counts for something.

I didn't play many games this year.

bigjig

1. Persona 5 ; I don't even know why I'm bothering to list this, as it doesn't have a hope of winning without having seen a western release. However, this simply blew my already sky high expectations away and was so far ahead of anything else I've played this year it wouldn't feel right to not put it at no. 1.
2. The Last Guardian ; Camera issues aside this was a completely engrossing experience from start to finish. A fantastic addition to the PS4's library.
3. Hitman ; A magnificent return to form for IO after the garbage that was Absolution. My only regret was not getting it sooner and getting in on all those elusive targets.
4. Final Fantasy XV ; Story is bleh, but I'm surprised at how much I've gotten into the combat. I can't wait to see how a more action based system turns out in FFVIIR.
5. Dark Souls 3 ; Another fantastic Souls game that is brought down perhaps because it follows on from the masterpiece that is Bloodborne.
6. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; Unfortunately one of the most overlooked games of the year. A hidden gem on the Wii U.
7. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ;
8. Hyper Light Drifter ;

Seraphym

1. Far Cry Primal ; really enjoyed this twist on the usual formula and the quests didn't over stay their welcome. Also loved the levelling aspect of the skills not turning your caveman into a terminator. Large animals still can cause you grief if unprepared.

2. Forza Horizon 3 ; just love the style and feel of these titles. It's been a joy exploring "Australia" and the variety of races.

3. Doom ; loved it. Silky smooth, FUN, just end up grinning ear to ear even when you get smashed by Demons. The community created stuff has also given it greater longevity, especially with some of the Co-op modes.

4. Gears of War 4 ; really enjoyed the Co-op playthroughs and some of the physics hazards. I avoided the pre release hype so didn't know it was only 2 players in co-op but Horde still scratches that itch.

Tsosie

1. Final Fantasy XV ; This is my favorite battle system of any FF game. I just want to keep killing things. In the running for my favorite FF game.

2. The Witness ; Puzzles that can only be done in video game format.

3. Uncharted 4 ; Great end to Nate's story. Beautiful graphics.

4. I am Setsuna ; Great through back to 16-bit RPGS

Arion

PANh2GG.png

1. The Last Guardian ; What is the purpose of playing games? For many games it is to engage with the game mechanics. For others it's to enjoy a story. However for TLG there is another purpose, friendship. TLG cultivates a relationship not just between Trico and the boy but also between Trico and the player. Every facet of the game is used to introduce and reinforce this core goal of the game. The myriad of environmental puzzles create a dependence between the player and Trico which in turn creates a rhythm of communication and mutual understanding. The beautifully desolate environment and eerie sound of wind and echoey ruins generate a sense of isolation. The world itself becomes a character, second to the colossal creature who is truly a marvel to behold. Trico is crafted with such a level of detail and animation mastery that the game produces authenticity out of complete fantasy. The AI implemented on him managed to surprise me at every turn and left me clueless about it's limits. The deeper I progressed into the game the more I started to consider Trico less of a tool and more of a companion. The game achieves this in such a masterful and subtle way and before long feelings of affection turn to genuine endearment. All this crescendos in a finale that left me deeply melancholic yet uplifted in some strange way. It is a rare occasion when a game goes beyond gameplay engagement and storytelling and taps into genuine conviction. TLG, in it's unique and remarkable way, achieves something that is only possible through the medium of gaming. It is a timeless awe-inspiring journey that is truly worth the wait.

xif7VnN.png

2. Overwatch ; More than anything, Overwatch introduces a cast of immediately iconic, likable and unique characters. Everything from visual design, personality and play style are expertly crafted and placed in game filled with moments of excitement and competitive grandeur. The game feels great to play and consistently provides positive reinforcements. The wins feel amazing and losses don't feel as bad. There is a ton variety on offer with the ever growing cast of characters but each one provides a satisfying learning curve. It consequently achieves the holy grail of game design, easy to learn and difficult to master. Topped with a constant stream of free updates and balancing, Overwatch is a towering achievement of doing everything right.

MZXzFSW.png

3. DOOM ; Power fantasies are one of the shining attractions of gaming and no one does it better than DOOM. The combat design of this game is without a doubt the best in the FPS genre. The design philosophies of push-forward combat and combat chess encourages constant aggression, movement and variation. Through this, the game exalts the player as an unstoppable force of nature, a danger worse than pure evil and crowns them with a nameless title, Doomslayer. The narrative goes to great lengths to keep up a straight-faced comedy with a dose of serious self-awareness. And the soundtrack, god that soundtrack. It's an heady mix of metal and techno and it fuels the player in their violent delights. To me DOOM is easily the best single player FPS ever made.

fxk6Y2a.png

4. Furi ; This is a game of style and substance. It marries the frenetic precision of bullet hell shooters and dauntless brutality of character action games. The environment design, character designs and cryptic dialogue oozes style. However, when the game gets going it carries tremendous complexity. The game is challenging. At times you will face a brick wall a mile high and be baffled by the adversity. But with perseverance, when you finally traverse that wall it is intensely satisfying. Moreover, that game is incredible in it's focus. There is very little fluff while it provides a very lean and polished experience.

7FPql0a.png

5. Dishonored 2 ; Great level design is so often overlooked in this age of open world opulence. Dishonored 2 begs to differ. The level design on offer here is filled with detail and brilliance. Every level is unique from each other and each offer a plethora of possible routes. Players are also given a large tool set and given a lot of freedom on how to approach every situation. No matter how you choose to play through the game, be it stealth or assault, lethal or non-lethal, magic or non-magic, each one is satisfying in their own unique ways. What's more is the game can be completed with no way point markers as the world itself is filled with directions and the objectives are given enough description that with a little ingenuity you can figure out what to do and where to do it. Playing in this manner caused me to pay much closer attention to the world around me and what I discovered was a rich universe filled with lore, history, current affairs and localized personal drama. To call the world of Dishonored "steam-punk" would be a great disservice. Because this is world that is very uncommon in it's premise. It's in an age of magic, natural philosophy, technology, art and sociopolitical strife. The way it handles it's subject matter is filled with curiosities that kept me eagle-eyed for every morsel of information. Dishonored 2 is a testament to the enormous potential of immersive sims.

aGPxgC1.png

6. Hitman ; The vibe of this game is "cool". Not the "cool" of the 90's but a professionally detached kind of "cool". The user interface, the way Agent 47 dresses and the way the game addresses the player all carries with it an air of emotional coldness. This in turn sets up the player to be the funny man to the game's straight man. The comic to it's stooge. Welcome to the world of assassination, now go have fun. The levels in Hitman are both wide and deep, filled with clockwork NPCs in an elaborate Rube Goldberg machine. The player is then given the freedom to explore, make sense of this machine and then to throw a wrench right in the middle of it. The game encourages replayability. It encourages you to experiment and internalize the levels for the real challenge of the game, the elusive targets. This is where the game becomes the true tense hitman experience. You are given one attempt in a limited amount of time to eliminate a target. You can't save and if you fail it's over. The game allows the player freedom while enclosing them enough to produce an exciting and non-patronizing stealth adventure.

pppCLFb.png

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The trademark Uncharted marriage of video games and movies sees its best iteration yet. Almost every aspect of the game is the best it's ever been. The jaw dropping vistas and set pieces are all there and better than ever. The combat sections take place in giant arenas filled with chest high covers and shrubbery. You can stealth and fight your way through a very satisfying action game. Additionally, the narrative is grounded yet exciting with world class performances and meaningful writing. This is a production of the highest level of quality.

S1Zcq0d.png

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; I have an affinity for everything cyberpunk. DEMD provides exactly that. Much of my enjoyment of this game is from the many side stories which are small sci-fi episodes with satisfying conclusions. Something the main narrative lacked. Regardless, the world of Deus Ex is ever engaging and the game still allows a lot of morally grey player choices and consequences.

m17cNrh.png

9. Street Fighter V ; Laura is love, Laura is life. At the core of SFV is a very satisfying fighting game while everything else kinda falls apart.

10. Let It Die

Zesh

(I'm by the way a bit surprised at the lack of Blood and Wine nominations, as I know it has been the true GOTY for many. Maybe it isn't clear to everybody that it's actually eligible for this votig?)

I think it's a combination of some people not realizing that it's eligible, and some people not wanting to vote for DLC as GotY, despite its quality.

Top Bottom