• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

1. Overwatch ; I've played the game every weekend since its release. I've never been more addicted to a multiplayer shooter, largely because Overwatch invites and encourages players of all playstyles to experiment and find a role or hero that works best for them. I've always enjoyed games with a focus on tactical depth, and with the average Overwatch match constantly changing, I'm always on my toes. Easily my game of the year.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; The platinum demo soured me with its bare-bones combat options, actions executed by holding down buttons rather than twitch reactions, and input delay, while my time with Judgment Disc had me fearing for the game's open world being a MGSV-esque empty, sprawling space. I picked up the game on release day, expecting to be disappointed, but to my surprise, it wound up being my favorite JRPG of not just the year, but the generation. The combat, as I suspected, wound up being fairly simple, but turned out to be far more challenging and demanding than I expected. I particularly liked the emphasis on character positioning and alternating attack and defense in a way that made combat almost feel like some kind of dance.

3. DOOM ; I'd like to echo some of the comments made earlier about single-player FPS games. With the exception of BioShock, I haven't really played an FPS campaigns excessively because my main draw has always been shooting my friends. With this, it was the single-player campaign that kept me hooked. I never played any of the older Doom games, but two of my best friends played Doom 3 and loved the survival horror aspects of it. When I showed them this game, they were taken aback by the game's fast-paced, in-your-face, old-school approach to FPS combat. Comments from old-school fans about the reverence this more recent title has for the original two games makes me want to check out the inspiration behind this modern version.

4. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; I've always felt Pokemon was behind in the presentation department, and the general quest structure had begun to wear on me. Although it is more or less the standard-bearer for turn-based creature combat, by ORAS I started to become tired of the grid-based movement and the gym-based progression. Sun and Moon managed to shed these two elements of the series with a more immersive, expressive world and a more engaging method of periodically proving your strength as a Pokemon trainer. I did wind up missing XY's O-Powers, but as a whole, these entries represent meaningful growth in a classic franchise.

5. Ratchet & Clank ; I played the original, but never cared for it as much as its Naughty Dog-developed sister platformer released around the same time. I picked this up on a whim and really enjoyed this re-imagining for its combat and incorporation of improvements from later titles like lock-strafe mode and experience-based progression. I often shelve single player games upon beating them, but this one I wound up playing for quite a while after I finished off the final boss.

6. Titanfall 2 ; I loved the original game and how it made both Titan and pilot combat viable. Titanfall 2 continues this trend and couples it with a surprisingly enjoyable single-player campaign.

steven28

1. Dishonored 2 ; Hands down the best game i have played this year,incredible world,amazing level design,interesting powers,choices,and some beautiful art design.

2. The Last Guardian ; The only game this gen that has had an emotional impact on me.

3. Rise Of The Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration ; Great game, really liked the improved challange tombs and level design,only let down by a mediocre story.

4. Uncharted 4 ; Great adventure game with much improved combat and stunning visuals.

5. Ratchet & Clank ; The game was just pure fun.

Magnus

1. Overwatch ; Bold, vivid, exhilarating, fresh...every exciting adjective I can think of, I want to apply to this incredible new game. I've loved almost everything Blizzard has put out, and this brilliant new franchise is no exception. As they've done in the past, Blizzard has managed to take on a brand new genre and own it completely, making a strong mark in the first-person shooter space and completely corralling the hero shooter sub genre. Reaper, Mercy, McCree, Widowmaker -- these characters are already becoming iconic. Really amazing title.
2. World of Warcraft: Legion ; Incredible return to form for Warcraft. This expansion delivered fun storytelling, great new zones, an exciting new hero class, class-specific experiences that really enhance the replayability of the new content, and the artifact system, which offers a new kind of character growth for the first time in 12 years. As always, the art direction, voice acting and soundtrack are A+ tier stuff. As good as Pandaria in terms of innovations and quality-of-life improvements, and probably the best overall package (as an expansion) since Wrath of the Lich King. WoW is back.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; I'm only about 80% of the way through it, but it's a beaut. All the classic Naughty Dog magic is here, and looking more beautiful than ever. I'm always a bit miffed at how linear the games feel, but this entry does more to create arena-type environments that let you at least play out some segments in a non-linear fashion (in terms of enemy encounters and determining how you'll get through a particular minefield). You can tell a ton of love was poured into this package, as it is every time Naughty Dog puts it name on a new release. Can't wait to revisit and complete the game on the PS4 Pro with a 4K/HDR set when I'm done with other games this winter.
4. Final Fantasy XV ; It's hard to love this game, but I still love...parts of it. A really stellar and fast-paced battle system, some likeable characters in the party, a great overall soundtrack (which FF really hasn't seen in one of the major single-player entries since FFX, as far as I'm concerned), and one of the most fun iterations of magic/summons that the series has seen. It's marred by how incomplete it feels, how bizarre and awful the plot and storytelling are, and how boring the open-world design is. But it was still ambitious, and it's still a looker, particularly on a PS4 Pro hooked up to a 4K/HDR TV. I said wow.
5. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; My foray into the 7th generation of Pokémon is just beginning, but it's already so refreshing to see series conventions getting upended. Finally -- some surprises! The soundtrack, art design, and general charm of the franchise is back and still in solid form. I dig the new presentation style for cutscenes, and while the age of the 3DS really shows in the games, it still manages to look great for what it is. Thrilled that one of the more inventive and creative entries into the series is the one selling the fastest and breaking franchise records. It definitely deserves it from what I've played so far.
6. Hearthstone: Mean Streets of Gadgetzan ; While it wasn't listed on the spreadsheet, I'm confident this should count as new expansion content for this year, and am happy to nominate it here. Gadgetzan added a real fresh breath of air to the 'meta' game of Hearthstone with tri-class cards and the notion of three competing gangs from the Warcraft universe. This expansion delivered a solid backdrop, intriguing set of characters, and (as always) great art direction and music, things you wouldn't expect out of a CCG expansion. While most people just care about the new cards an expansion delivers, I'm always equally interested in the art, themes, and overall 'feel' that an expansion brings to the table, and Gadgetzan feels super strong. And yes, the new cards introduced have really shaken things up in a fun way, bringing some bottom-feeding classes back to the top, and letting some new types of decks shine. Hearthstone's the best it's ever been.
7. Gravity Rush Remastered ; Man, this game is beautiful. If it weren't for some UI elements that betray its portable origins, I wouldn't have guessed that this was anything but a new PS4 game. Really happy this unique title escaped being stuck on just the Vita. I'm only 3 hours in and am thrilled to be playing this in such a beautiful way. The main character is captivating, the world is alive and unique with brilliant colour and art design, and the gameplay is just poetic and sublime.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Last Guardian ; While I haven't had a chance to play it yet, I'm stunned at the fact that it delivered after so many years, and that it apparently does right by its patient fan base. I've managed to feel the bond between the main character and Trico already, and I haven't even picked the controller up yet. The game is so potently evocative of that bond, and if it succeeds in that respect alone, I'm sure it'll be remembered fondly for years to come.

Irnbru

1. Doom ; Just a stunning beautiful game inside and out. Seeing the face of glee on my friend who almost exclusively plays Jrpgs when he got the berserk power up was priceless.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Good conclusion and I really love pirates

3. World of final fantasy ; fun little run with amazing remixes of classic soundtracks... just marred a little by getting some overpowered mons early and making the game way to easy

Stillmatic

1. The Last Guardian ; Bad camera, framerate issues (not as much for me playing on the Pro), in dev for 9 years including a platform switch, button prompts that far outstay their welcome, and with an AI companion that takes a bit of time to understand how it reads you best. You'd think a game can't come back from that, but here we are. Exploring this world with Trico was magical. By the end, the things it does wrong are dwarfed by what they achieved in believable AI, bond you build with the 2, animation and just pure wonder in exploring. There’re no highlighted edges to climb, or other hand holdy things of that nature. It’s old school in that way, and I love it. The last 3rd of the game (from that cutscene) is amazing, and has one of the best endings I've sat through in a long time.

2. The Witness ; I think it’s masterpiece in game design. Just an incredible puzzle game and I’m not big on puzzle games. I have no idea how Jonathan Blow created this game, level design and puzzles are just crazy. A very close 2nd to TLG, and my only Platinum this year..

3. Dark Souls 3 ; The Soulsbourne series is probably my favourite of all. DS3 is amazing. In a way it kind of felt like a retake on Dark Souls 1 using what they’ve learned along the way with their previous games. Doesn’t top Bloodborne, but is one of my favs.

4. Thumper ; Simple idea executed perfectly. It is my favourite VR game and just hits all the right spots for me, from pacing, visuals to the music. Amazing.

5. Battlefield 1 ; New era, could've failed hard with the old weapons etc, but managed to make it interesting. Gameplay is a blast from the feel of the weapons, to the chaos of the battlefield with bullets flying by and tanks crashing through walls. Awesome fun, and looks fantastic.

6. Uncharted 4 ; One of the best endings to a franchise I’ve seen. Graphics are bonkers and the new additions to the gameplay, like the grappling hook are heaps of fun. It doesn't top UC2, but is the second best in the series. There’s a bit too much downtime, and less emphasis on set pieces, but I know that was intentional. UC2 still king.

7. Firewatch ; I thought the story was heading somewhere else (better), but still really enjoyed this. It felt really natural to play and the banter was great. Great visuals and just an enjoyable game.

8. Alienation ; Played through couch co-op and was a blast. Big fan of their previous games and this is the best one yet.

So many other games released this year that I bought but haven't got around to playing through:

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Ratchet and clank
Watchdogs 2
COD: Infinite Warfare
Titanfall 2
Final Fantasy XV
Dishonoured 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Doom
Bound
Dying Light: The Following
Resident Evil 0
Salt and Sanctuary

Flame_AC

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; My game of the year last year got the best expansion in gaming. Blood and Wine (HoS too) refine the game and the world of Toussiant is simply a breath of fresh air in relation to the main game.
2. Overwatch ; So many fun characters and abilities, don't play it as often anymore as it's really a game that requires a team in communication with one another.
3. Kerbal Space Program ; My family all gathered around the TV and we made rockets together, hard for other games to do that type of thing.
4. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 ; I know this isn't the best game of the year or probably anywhere close to it, but I still had a great deal of fun playing Xenoverse and look forward to seeing where XV3 goes, both storywise and mechanically.
5. The Banner Saga 2 ; A deep game which requires a lot of time to get used too, but I think that the investment is worth it, the beautiful visuals help too.
6. Battlefield 1 ; War Pigeons is a great mode, despite the absurdity of it.
7. Mount & Blade: Warband ; Played it a ton on PC, the console port is pretty decent, gives hope for a Mount and Blade 2 port happening much sooner when that game comes out.
8. Hitman ; Super fun game, al the opportunities are very well constructed. The episodic format is not the right choice for many games, but it is absolutely perfect for Hitman.

Honorable Mentions
x. Mario Party ; Played through all of them with my friends, their a fun romp in good company.
x. Star Wars Battlefront ; All of the DLC, save the Outer Rim expansion, were really well made and the new modes were a ton of fun, especially the two big modes added by the final two DLCs.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I didn't play a whole lot this year. I won't do that thing where this just turns into a list of things I played from this year as that undermines the process.

1. Doom ; This has been the only game that's had me genuinely excited this year. Toward the end of the game I stopped for breath,realising just how tightly I was clutching the controller. I can't even remember a single player game that has had that kind of effect on me for... such a long time I can't even remember.

2. Virginia ; I grabbed this on the strength of the demo after seeing a screenshot on GAF and the promise of a 'Lynch' like adventure. I don't think people had started posting their impressions yet and going in blind was lovley - a really great experience. Not really Lynch-esque other than a single scene but I wasn't bothered, the confidence of the execution was great. Reminded me a lot of Proteus and Journey and every bit as cool. Really loved it.

3. Titanfall 2 ; An interesting, if somewhat light on combat set-pieces, campaign and cool multiplayer. After playing way too much Battlefront, a well made (on every level) multiplayer shooter is a breath of fresh air. A greatly crafted set of mechanics that empower the player to play imaginitively and freely. Very enjoyable.

4. Overcooked ; I am repeatedly impressed with how much mileage Ghost Town Games get out of something seemingly so very simple. Easily one of the top three cooking games of all time and the best one since Cook, Serve, Delicious - brilliant stuff. What's all the more impressive is how hard they've leant into couch co-op and have had it pay off. Bravo.

5. No Man's Sky ; As fascinating as it is infuriating - I don't pick it up often, but when I do it's always for hours at a time. For as much as it gets horrendously wrong, it gets a lot so very right.

Honorable mentions: Uncharted IV, Shantae Half Genie Hero, Shovel Knight, Dota 2 cuz I either played them or continue to love them unconditionally.

1. XCOM 2 ; Improved in every way.
2. The Last Guardian ; Loved it, despite technical issues.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Another blockbuster filled with memorable moments.
4. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ; Once they fix the launch issues it will be the best Civ game to date.
5. Fire Emblem Fates ; Sometimes more of the same is all that is needed.
6. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; A fun combat system goes a long way.
7. Pathfinder Adventures ; I absolutely adored this cardgame during a short period.
8. Final Fantasy XV ; Perhaps it would have ended up higher up in the list if I hadn't been sidetracked early on.
9. Ratchet & Clank ; Really solid remake of a PS2 classic that I originally missed out on.
10. Letter Quest Remastered ; Scrabble with a progression system is surprisingly fun.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thiefs end ; Fantastic ending to fantastic series :)
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Blood & Wine ; Better than most games.
3. Tom Clancy's The Division ; The SP is awesome.
4. Hitman ;
5. The Wtiness ;
6. Dragon Quest Builders ;
7. Ratchet and Clank ;
8. Thumper ;
9. Doom ;
10. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 ;

Honorable mentions: Overwatch, Destiny: Rise of Iron, Stardew Valley, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Lara Croft Go and Clash Royale.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thiefs end. - Fantastic ending to fantastic series :)

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Blood & Wine - Better than most games.

3. Tom Clancy's The Division - The SP is awesome.

4. Hitman

5. The Wtiness

6. Dragon Quest Builders

7. Ratchet and Clank

8. Thumper

9. Doom

10. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2

Honorable mentions: Overwatch, Destiny: Rise of Iron, Stardew Valley, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Lara Croft Go and Clash Royale.

Fix your formating if you want it to count.

mcz117chief

header.jpg

1. Earth Defense Force 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair ; so what happens when developers say "let's make the most fun game possible and make it about aliens!"? You get EDF 4.1! The most thrilling, enjoyable and just pure fun game released in years. I did not expect much when I got this game, I expected to play it for a couple of hours and then forget about it but this game became the gaming highlight of the year for me. Hundreds of hours spent playing each of the 4 very distinct characters and having an absolute blast every microsecond! Like, this game is literally a masterpiece of game design. Flawless and amazingly fun. 10.1/10

2. Final Fantasy XV ; rarely do I enjoy an open world game and this one I definitely enjoy. Amazing characters, combat, environments, music, the feeling of having an organic adventure is all there. What more can I ask for?

3. Shadow Warrior 2 ; you have all these others FPS games released this year and they all miss that special something (disclaimer, I haven't played ALL of the FPS games this year). Shadow Warrior 2 IS that special something. Flying Wild Hog decided to make a game fast as Quake, violent as Killing Floor and add large open levels, fantastic music (courtesy of Stan Bush), amazing weapons design, actually fun melee combat ("in an FPS? No way!") and what they made is a game for the ages. Never gets old, always full of Wang!

4. Gravity Rush: Remastered ; a fantastic game with a very charming, cute and innocent character that you just have to love :) Add to that a fantastic gameplay with three dimensional freedom of movement that very few (if any) games have, amazing music score and overall charm that really makes you enjoy every second of the game.

5. Killing Floor 2 ; bullets, gore and LOTS of slow-mo explosions. Killing Floor 2 is THE most fun coop shooter game out there right now. Amazing music from Demonhunter, best gore in the industry, fast and responsive controls, fantastic graphics and gunplay. If it weren't for Shadow Warrior 2 this would be THE best shooter of the year.

6. A.O.T. Wings of Freedom ; from the creators of Dynasty Warriors comes another master piece. A fast paced action game with a great freedom of movement. Swooping across the rooftops and fighting giant enemies has never been so much fun since the good ol' Shadow of the Colossus, add to that very tight controls, great gameplay and music and you have one of the most fun games this year.

7. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst ; a worthy successor to the previous game with most of it's system improved, streamlined and made more responsive. Faith's character got improved a ton and of course the entire technical aspect of the game is far superior. Guns have been removed and the ability to just run around and enjoy the environments added. I'm not a fan of open world games but freedom of movement is one of the things I absolutely adore and this game definitely does it well.

8. Shadowverse ; oh look, a good card game! Out of all the card games I played online none caught my attention as much as Shadowverse (Infinity Wars comes close). Amazing card art, great voice acting and gameplay. I really can't find a flaw in this game, at least not a considerable one. Coins drop at a fast rate allowing everyone to buy card packs all the time and building any deck they want very quickly (Forte for life <3)

9. Zombie Night Terror ; I was never a huge fan of Lemmings, maybe because I was just too young to appreciate them or the lack of story bothered me, but this game is genuinely fun. Exceptionally nice pixel art, great gameplay, fun story line, fantastic set pieces. Really, the best puzzle game I have played since forever.

Honourable mentions:

x. Stellaris ; one of the best 4x games I ever played but it is missing that little something to make it a real GOTY material. Still a fantastic game!

x. World of Final Fantasy ; one of the cutest games ever made, but it didn't grab me as much as I wanted, still a fun game that I enjoy from time to time :)

1. Titanfall 2 ; The most fun I've had in the subgenre of fast-action CoD-likes.
2. Doom ; Oldschool FPS but it's done so well I don't find myself wanting anything new. Single player gaming at its best.
3. The Last Guardian ; One of the best storydriven games this year.
4. Overwatch ; Some new ideas in a stagnant genre, with original character variations and interesting maps/modes.
5. Ratchet & Clank ; Great feel to the action platforming spiced up with some new mechanics.
6. Inside ; Beautiful game with great composition and pacing, a worthy successor to Limbo.
7. Tom Clancy's The Division ; Wasn't on my GOTY radar until the survival DLC came out. In my mind the best survival mode currently available.
8. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Polished and visually striking as always.
9. XCOM 2 ; Bigger and better would sum it up. The icing on the cake was the introduction of procedurally generated maps keeping it fresh throughout.
10. Dark Souls III ; Best Dark Souls game, tweaks to gameplay mechanics that were hindering you in previous games.

Hasney

1. Dragon Quest Builders - Never been a fan of sandbox games, but the DQ theme and RPG questing made it very appealing to me.

2. Overwatch - Multiplayer FPS aren't my thing, but I was drawn to this because of the varied characters and it felt easy-to-pickup.

3. Stardew Valley - I put like 70 hours into it. lol

Need to use semicolons and not dashes after the game names.

Biocoincoin

Neo Member
1. Dark Souls III ; The third episode managed to do what the second couldn't : get me onboard with souls games and I'm so glad it did ! Game is beautiful, filled with memorable places and ennemies and the feeling of achievement after each boss and shortcut openned is great. Although this might just seem like usual Souls stuff to series' veterans, it makes it my definitive 2016 GOTY.

2. Dishonored 2 ; the levels are so well crafted and filled with nice details, wandering through them looking for the best way to get to specific locations and trying to figure the bigger picture out of every bit of information and environnent built a memorable experience.

3. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; Nintendo delivered a gorgeous, fantastic game with varried locations, ennemies, situations all wrapped in with lots of fan-service and some of the best Nintendo soundtrack ever.

4. Hyper Light Drifter ; Art, music and gameplay do wonders in this one, setting an awesome tone that pushed me throughout the game, trying to figure what happened and who were those mysterious characters. Disasterpeace delivers my favourite game soundtrack.

5. DOOM ; Not much to add to all that's been said about DOOM, this game does what FPS should do perfectly. I loved every combat in it, wished, there were more like the last ones on hell !

6. Furi ; This is a great game to play on the long run : one boss at a time. All bosses are great, giving this "I will never manage to get past that phase" feeling that makes beating them with such great music playing feeling so good and rewarding !

7. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Haven't finished the game but this is a genre I almost completely forgot and I am glad it comes back that way. The game plays great, story and characters' back stories revealed through in-games conversations are nice to follow/learn about. Japanese voice-overs are a nice addition.

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; The game really shines in Prague which is the biggest part. This "open-hub" gave me great original-DeusEx vibes, looking for every possible route, bonus and information, still managed to miss a sidequest though. Game lacked in terms of character's animations and levels outside Prague felt dull. Also, the final combat in non-lethal is a joke, and story was not really engaging.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD ; the game takes it time but it does have great Zelda dungeons and bosses and it was nice to come back to it in HD. The Snowpeak Ruins feel great to play in particular with their intricate "no dungeon/dungeon" design and TP has my favorite Zelda final boss/sequence.

10. Titanfall 2 ; I haven't finished the solo campaign, nor mastered the multiplayer but this game looks good and it is fast and engaging !

Honorable mentions
x. Samorost 3 ; gladly played it over one week-end. Game is short but every scene is really charming, with lots of details. Sadly, the final sequence let me down a bit, but a memorable game with great soundtrack I should come back to some time later.

1. Rez Infinite ; one of the greatest games of all time gets greatest-er. The original is in my personal top 3 of all time, so you'd better believe this is getting my GOTY nod.

2. Destiny: Rise of Iron ; This was easily my most played game of the year. Really, it's just more Destiny, but that's the best game on PS4 as far as I'm concerned. Great times with the best online community out there.

3. Uncharted 4 ; As good looking a game as there is, wonderful characters and writing in a fitting send off to the series that made Naughty Dog truly matter.

4. Steins Gate 0 ; this shouldn't be as good as it is. So many times it threatens to veer off into sheer silliness, but always brings it back home to enough gravitas to make it truly memorable.

5. The King of Fighters 2000 ; A stealth re-release of the PS2 version hit PS4 in the spring. One of the later games in the series that I missed the first time around, so I played it to death. Had 100% trophies within days of launch, and I still kept going. That's the sign of a great game.

6. New Adventure Island ; Wii U virtual console finally got Turbografx games! I'd never played this before, but I finally understood why people loved this style of Adventure Island (I'd only ever really enjoyed Super before this). Amazingly colourful with challenging platforming that demands mastery, it's totally achievable with a bit of stick-to-it-iveness and well worth the ride.

7. Axiom Verge ; the Vita version of this game finally hit in the spring, and it felt like the platform it belonged on all along. The controls felt tighter, and the visuals looked smoother on the small screen and the OLED made it look brilliant. Wish it had been here since day one, but I'm really glad Tom Happ stuck to his promise and soldiered through the challenges to bring it to us.

8. The Last Blade 2 ; This game had a rough launch, but the devs stuck with it. A classic game with incredible atmosphere and detail in its world and character design. Almost worth buying just for the cool theme it came with, I've used it for my Vita since it hit.

9. Stranger of Sword City ; Another Vita title, the character art on this game is absolutely stunning. A really difficult game with perma-death, it manages to be an engaging drpg - not an easy feat in a genre that's often based around repetitive, almost story-free grinding.

10. Arcade Archives LIFE FORCE ; another spring release, Hamster did a great job with this game on the PS4. Featuring every arcade version of the game including Salamander, it serves as a wonderful document of gaming history.

So many games I haven't gotten yet...if I'd had the chance, Deus Ex, #FE and Garou all would have likely had a great shot at my list.

stoff

Indie year for me:
1. Stardew Valley ; My Game of the Year. The care, attention to detail and utter love pouring out of this game had me captivated for months.
2. The Curious Expedition ; What a criminally unnoticed gem! Sunk many many hours into its equally suspenseful and hilarious adventures.
3. VA-11 Hall-A ; I'm currently still in the midst of my playthrough, but the story and setting have me terribly hooked.
4. XCOM 2 ; Improved and evolved its predecessor's gameplay and story in an utterly impressive fashion.
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; Made me notice how much I missed the mysticism of the previous entries.
6. Civilization VI ; I love how the districts gives more importance to the game world. Great start - AI and Balancing troubles aside.
7. Planet Coaster ; Rollercoaster Tycoon in a beautiful new and shiny modern dress. Yes! That is exactly what I wanted!
8. The Witness ; The moment on the hill really got me. Full of clever ideas, but I can only put up with it for short sessions.
9. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest ; The fact that a traditional entry even exists gives me hope that IS hasn't forgotten older fans like me.
10. Monster Hunter Generations ; Felt like coming home. A true celebration of the series!

taoofjord

1. Overwatch ; Pure fun and really brings out your competitive spirit.
2. The Witness ; A brilliant and unique puzzle game.
3. Inside ; Darkly disturbing and unforgettable.
4. Dishonored 2 ; Thief&#8217;s legacy lives on. Poor writing doesn't keep this from being a triumph of imagination.
5. Titanfall 2 ; Fast paced, action bliss. Both the campaign and the multiplayer are fantastic.
6. Hitman: Season One ; Hitman at its best. A real accomplishment.
7. Uncharted 4 ; A beautiful and fun adventure to close out Nate&#8217;s story.
8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (SP) ; The campaign is a sci-fi lover&#8217;s dream come true.
9. Battlefield 1 (MP) ; Another quality entry in the series even if it doesn't always bring me the same amount of joy.
10. Dark Souls III ; A little uninspired but overall a fine addition to the series.

Honorable Mentions
Dragon Quest Builders ; A delightful surprise.
The Tomorrow Children ; Full of imaginative ideas. Lots of promise.
The Last Guardian ; While this didn't move me like Ueda&#8217;s other work, it's a fantastic achievement.
DOOM ; An amazing modern take on a classic. Beautiful and ton of fun.

1. Gears of War 4 ; Plenty of content, free maps, Horde, solid and fun campaign which works perfectly as a set up for GoW5. 10 days of gameplay so far accumulated.

2. Forza Horizon 3 ; when I believed that the Horizon 2 was the peak of the series, Playground delivered and amazing follow up. Australia looks beautiful too and the gameplay is super fun.

3. Inside ; amazing Limbo 'sequel'. It was the game that made my SO and me play together regularly. Not a difficult game, but a very nice experience to share. 100% recommended.

4. Titanfall 2 ; I really really was very disappointed with the beta Respawn offered us. After being Genration 3 and Generation 6 on 360 and X1 respectively the changes were not my cup of tee at all, but the campaign is great and even if the multiplayer is far from being as fun as it was on Titanfall 1 for me, the free content policy must be celebrated.

5. Tom Clancy's The Division ; despite of its downgrade, New York still looks beautiful and the game is really fun to play with friends out of the Dark Zone (PvP was/is? broken). The End Game is not the best out there, but replaying the missions first on Hard and later on Realistic (?) with friends provided us lot of fun during 40-60h.

6. Quantum Break ; story wise the game is absolutely great, all actors do a nice job and the gunplay using the time powers is fun, it will be recognized as 'cult game' in the future. The tv-episodes was something unique I enjoyed but I have the feeling that their production distracted Remedy and their budget from higher goals. Also, its problematic launch on MS Store and the technical discussion about its resolution I presume really hurt the title. It (sadly) joins the club of games which will never receive a deserved sequel.

7. Final Fantasy XV ; despite of what lot of people say, the game plays and looks fantastic. I'm really enjoying the story (so far). It also has its unique vibe that western studios can't reproduce when they try to develop a j-rpg. Not the best FF, but a really nice fun rpg game.

8. This War of Mine: The Little Ones ; it was an absolute surprise when I (almost accidentally) discovered this game and played it on my X1.

9. Oxefree ; I have the same feeling playing this game than watching Stranger Things. If that makes any sense.

Aurelius

1. DOOM ; fast and furious game that touches all the right nostalgia buttons while still feeling fresh and modern.
2. XCom2 ; great sequel. Playing as the resistance was a nice change and made for more diverse missions. Even time limits and absurdly long loading times on the PS4 could not spoil this party.
3. Inside ; Great follow-up to Limbo. Most atmospheric game I played this year.
4. Firewatch ; my first “walking simulator”, and what a great game! I especially loved how grounded en emotional the story was. The breathtaking graphics made me nostalgic for the National Parks I visited in the US on holidays in the past.
5. Yakuza 5 ; it came out at the tail end of 2015. But this is the game that consumed my first half of 2016. So I still want to put it on the list, even if it's not eligible. A great crime story and an incredible amount of content.

1. DOOM ; I felt like a kid playing video games for the first time. I think that's all I really need to say about this game.

2. Hitman ; One of my favourite series gets one of it's best games in 2016 after the disappointment that was Absolution. Hitman is a return to form, a true sequel to Blood Money.

3. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; While it didn't feel fresh as Human Revolution did and still doesn't manage to achieve emergent gameplay like the original Deus Ex, it's still better than most games out there by what it tries to achieve.

4. Furi ; Underrated game on PC, feels like a character action game and a shmup had a baby. Amazing synthwave OST.

Naglafar

1. Dark Souls 3 ; A nice end to the series, and full of lore and fanservice for fans of the old games. Great world to explore, and great execution of mechanics that have been polished over the series.

2. DOOM ; An almost perfect reboot of the series. Fast, fun, gory, it really did the series justice. Bonus, the story was pretty good.

3. Titanfall 2 ; AMAZING campaign, did quite a few things no other game has done. Also stellar multiplayer that is quite polished and is very fast and fun.

4. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; Fun, interesting side missions. More evolved gameplay than human evolution, the new augs are great. Good setting and presentation.

5. Gears of War 4 ; Probably the most technically impressive game I've ever seen on the Xbox one. Story was a blast to play through, and shows that the Coalition really does the series justice.

1. DOOM ; Amazing game, just pure fun. Ran great at 60fps. Love how they threw out modern fps conventions for a more classic style. Even enjoyed the multiplayer.

2. Overwatch ; Probably the first fps multiplayer series to really grab me in a while. Love the aesthetic and diverse cast. Though I do dislike how barebones it is and the Micro transaction system.

3. Final Fantasy 15 ; So much wasted potential, so much I hate about the game, but I platinumed it and put over 90 hours into it. So that tells me there was still something very special here.

4. Dragon Quest 7 ; Have been waiting 3 years for this and it's everything I wanted. Still not finished with it yet, but it's still an amazing game.

5. KOFXIV ; Excellent fighting game. Tons of characters both new and old. Great netcode (for once!), and lots of modes. 2D fighting done right.

mindsale

1. Overwatch ; Just a delight.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Narratively extraneous as Hell and retcons were a little WTF but still lovely.

3. Dark Souls 3 ; I hope the Zelda team is taking notes.

4. XCOM 2 ;

5. Dishonored 2 ;

6. The Last Guardian ;

7. DOOM ;

8. Final Fantasy XV ;

9. REZ Infinite ;

10. Titanfall 2 ;

1. Titanfall 2 ; An amazing campaign that introduces a lot of interesting ideas to the genre while providing a heartfelt (if basic) narrative. I loved the lore. Plus, add onto that an insanely fun multiplayer experience that I've dumped a bunch of time into since launch makes this the standout experience for me this year.

2. Overwatch ; I'm not sure what can be said about Overwatch that hasn't already been said. It's fun, frantic, and when everything goes well, there's nothing else quite like it. However, I will say my two negatives with the game that keep it from my #1 spot are the microtransaction structuring and the community which has become increasingly toxic as time goes on. Ignoring those, it's just one of the best experiences.

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; At the size of a full-length game, coupled with the same fantastic storytelling and quest design (and possibly the best of the game, at that), it was pretty much a guaranteed that anything Witcher would have a place on this list.

4. Dark Souls III ; I think this is honestly the best game in the series. I was a bit miffed about Bloodborne because even though the lore and world are fantastic, what it takes away in terms of gameplay and the performance issues hold it back from greatness (I played DkS2&3 on PC.) DkS3 feels like a culmination of all the amazing things that have come before it and it stands as a shining example of RPG design.

5. Final Fantasy XV ; In spite of its shortcomings, this game captures the "feel" of Final Fantasy and provides an overall experience that is epic in and of itself. The gameplay really shines in this and is the crutch that holds the entire game up, but it's so good that dungeon-crawling never feels dull.

6. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse ; I haven't gotten so far into this game, but SMT4 is one of my favorite games. This one actually has a far more engaging story and changes a lot of the things I had issues with in the last game, so it deserves a high place on my list.

7. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; I get that the ending leaves some unsatisfied, but I thought that entire package leading up to it was amazing and possibly the best story of the year. Puzzles were fun and challenging, and the progression through the story was a puzzle in itself and very satisfying to figure out.

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; While not as good as HR from a storytelling perspective, the sidequests and gameplay design offer more than enough enjoyment. If they had worked on the writing a bit more, this would have been much higher on the list and much more memorable. However, spending an hour breaking into every safe in the bank was a great gaming moment for me.

9. Hitman ; Same as DE:MD (and perhaps interchangeable with it on this list), there are just so many ways to do things. I spent a total of 11 hours on the prologue and first two missions, just trying different ways to complete the objectives. The game is a real high point for video game design.

10. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ; I haven't spent a whole lot of time with this game, but it feels complete compared to Civ V before it and it really feels like an evolution of the design. I'm very much looking forward to spending more time with the game in the future.

Honorable "Came Out Last Year But Reached Playable State This Year and I Dumped a Bunch of Time Into" Mention:
Rainbow Six Siege

Nbz

1. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest ; The most challenging and well designed Fire Emblem in years.
2. Stardew Valley ; An incredibly satisfying gameplay loop that keeps you wanting to come back.
3. Inside ; A masterpiece in game design and art direction, absolutely jaw dropping.
4. Titanfall 2 ; A great campaign combined with the best FPS multiplayer in the business, such a joy to play.
5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The end cap to Nate's story, a wonderful wrap up of an amazing series.
6. Ratchet & Clank ; Just pure fun, smashing boxes and getting bolts feels amazing.
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; The tombs are fucking incredible, but I still want more of them.
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney &#8722; Spirit of Justice ; A solid PW game that fleshes out Apollo's backstory in some cool ways.
9. Tokyo Mirage Sessions &#9839;FE ; Went on longer than it should, but the music is fantastic and it has heaps of style.
10. ABZÛ ; A relaxing and gorgeous underwater adventure that doesn't quite hit the right emotional notes, but is great regardless.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
1. DOOM ; Amazing soundtrack, movement, gameplay, gunplay, enemies, and more. This is one of the best single player FPS's I've ever played.

2. Dishonored 2 ; Take the amazing world building, art direction atmosphere, environments, and gameplay from the first game, and make all of them even better. You get this sequel, which is even more fun, challenging, and compelling than the original.

DemoCracy

1. Uncharted 4; This is very hard to decide which games are the best; however, Uncharted 4 is the best of 2016 because of it's perfect story, gameplay, graphic, music, and level design.

2. Overwatch; Although I'm not a multiplayer games' fan; this video game is a masterpiece and I enjoy it.

3. Dishonored 2; Another Bethesda's perfect game with an addictive gameplay.

4. Inside; Would you like to engage with a philosophical world? Try the Inside and find the human revolution.

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Devided; A good action rpg.

Menome

xG0Iw3v.png

1. Obduction ; It's ostensibly a new Myst game by the original creators of the series. It doesn't get much better than that for me and yet it manages to excel over the puzzle-game that received more attention this year; The Witness; because its puzzles don't make you feel stupid for not being able to solve them, it makes you feel clever when you do.

D6NPtAm.png

2. Battleborn ; Let's get this out of the way: I enjoyed Overwatch but whilst Battleborn may not have the same extreme level of polish, it more than makes up for that with its longevity and more strategic gameplay, being a first-person MOBA as opposed to the more FPS-stylings of Overwatch. The characters are great, the art-style is great and most importantly: playing it is just so much fun. Fuck the haters.

H6jkP4r.png

3. Tyranny ; Obsidian continue to be the flag-bearers of RPGs with meaningful decisions, this time setting the player in a rarely-touched scenario: Being a herald for an evil overlord who has already conquered most of the continent. You're not the hero, it's just up to you just how you carry out the will of your ruler.

DOtJzSF.png

4. Dark Souls III ; It's not quite as good as Dark Souls or Bloodborne but with this series of games, being a step below the best in the series is still two steps above a whole bunch of other games.

mC05LP8.png

5. Rise Of The Tomb Raider ; What makes this game so good is how well everything just works. There's no fumbling with controls, there's no unexpected foul-ups due to unclear or glitched gameplay scenarios and everything flows from one area to the next. Could have done without quite so much of the hunting & gathering for parts, but it's still the best Lara has been for years.

zZAnLLR.png

6. Duelyst ; All the pack-opening addiction of a traditional collectable card-game, coupled with the fantastic price of free. Whilst card-packs can be paid for, it's easy enough to be getting a pack a day just by playing the game and completing small challenges.

epCj46K.png

7. Pony Island ; The unexpected hit of January, the initial cutesy appearance is quickly sidelined for an adventure into the surreal, with enough variations on gameplay to keep the short running-time entertaining throughout.

DQCz4W4.png

8. Oxenfree ; Acting like a playable version of spooky teen-horror series like Goosebumps or Are You Afraid Of The Dark?, Oxenfree follows a group of teenagers as they discover the mystery behind a strange radio signal that alters the world around them.

XIbauGE.png

9. Virginia ; As Oxenfree was like 90s teen-horror, so Virginia is like a non-mythology episode of The X-Files. Played out with no dialogue and a genuinely cinematic style of editing between scenes, Virginia proves that you can tell a compelling story with no words.

4rwcTUA.png

10. Titanfall 2 ; Something never clicked with me for the first game and yet the sequel has somehow completely won me over. I know there's fans of the original that strongly dislike the changes but the multiplayer and single-player combined have made for a game that didn't deserve the doomed release-window it was given.

1. Stardew Valley ; Just a joyous, lovely game that keeps me coming back again and again. Even once I get bored of this runthrough I'm sure any changes will bring me back to do it all over again.
2. Overwatch ; This game did the impossible, made me actually enjoy a multiplayer shooter. I fell off of it eventually but it was a great couple of months.
3. Firewatch ; Beautiful and a great story, even if the actual gameplay is sometimes weak.
4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ; Still the same weird, wonderful thing it always was, just better.
5. King of Fighters XIV ; Not anything special, but another one of those and I still love it.

Phatcorns

1. Final Fantasy XV ; Absolutely delivered and is one of my favorite games of all time. Gameplay, exhilirating. Music, incredible. Story, moving. Graphics, some of the best ever.
2. Forza Horizon 3 ; I don't often play racing games, but man, this one is probably the best one I've ever played. Nothing beats the feeling of cruising down a long stretch of road.
3. Battlefield 1 ; Multiplayer cannot be beat. I haven't even touched the single player, but the fun I had playing multi is unmatched, maybe only eclipsed by the best moments in the Halo series.
4. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I love visual novels and this did not disappoint. I'm surprised I haven't played the sequels yet.
5. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; A great conclusion to one of my favorite series ever. Maybe not the most brilliant ending, but some truly amazing moments that brought a tear to my eye.
6. The Witness ; Incredibly satisfying puzzles. Hampered only by the time investment that is required, although that's not a fault of the game, merely real life.
7. Monster Hunter Generations ; More of the same, but if you like MH, that's a great thing.
8. Titanfall 2 ; Really fun campaign, incredibly satisfying feel, and fun multiplayer what little I played of it.
9. Bravely Second: End Layer ; Super satisfying JRPG (and gorgeous). The smalls tweaks they made make a ton of difference, like being able to stack attacks with the R button.
10. The Last Guardian ; Only played a few hours before I had to travel, but what I did play was fantastic and had to make this list. I'm guessing it would have ranked higher had I been able to finish it in time.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II; One of the best combat systems i've ever played (despite some balance issues this time), with one of the best worlds and best characters
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End; Fantastic closure to a series, and has become my favorite game in what is one of my favorite series.
3. DOOM; MOTHERFUCKING HOLY GODDAMN SHIT. Pure gameplay bliss. If the multiplayer wasnt absolute garbage this could be a top 10 all time
4. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse; Marked improvement from the original. Showed how much I value having some character interactions to go with the fantastic combat.
5. Fire Emblem Fates; Revelations was actually my favorite. Loved all the crazy maps and the massive amount of characters to toy with.
6. Ratchet & Clank; The best Remake ever, retains everything that makes it feel like a ratchet and clank game, while making it play amazing
7. Bravely Second: End Layer; Massive improvement over the first game in pacing, while retaining the amazing combat
8. Xcom 2; Whew, game feel like a weight coming off your shoulders upon completion. A good weight though

Gonna leave off there though...An odd year when I cant put blazblue or final fantasy in my top 10 list. I also have way too many games left unplayed so far that could definitely make this list, Dishonored 2, DOOM, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, World of Final Fantasy, and Titanfall 2 just to name a few

EDIT: Started and finished DOOM in a day, updated my list

theDeeDubs

saltlogo.gif

1. Salt and Sanctuary ; I went into this game expecting to love it. I love the Souls games, and I love Ska Studio&#8217;s art style and designs. What I got was a game that rocketed into my top 10 of all-time list. This game is a love letter to Souls, Castlevania, Metriod, and various other influences. However, it achieves the rare feet of surpassing its masters in many ways. The art style and world design are gorgeous. Everything has this hushed and subdued tone to it that I find breathtaking. Although many were put off by its character designs, I loved them. It was stylized and often stood contrasted among the rest of the world, but I thought the contrast added to its appeal. Some of my favorite games of all time have similar contrasts to them. Many of things I loved about Matsuno&#8217;s work with Square, the artwork and design in Final Fantasy XI, and Souls were due to the contrast caused by the mixing of styles between Eastern and Western. Similarly, to this, Salt and Sanctuary has taken a mixture of things I&#8217;m familiar with an added Ska Studio flare to it. Combat design is great. I was curious about how they would handle Souls combat in a 2D world, but they translated it masterfully. Combat was fluid, stylish, and fun. I was also concerned that creating such an homage would lead to uninspired enemy and level design, Ska Studios dismissed those concerns by creating memorable encounters and bosses, while surprising me with traversal upgrades that made me see the game world differently the further I got into the game. The music is on point throughout the game too. The boss introduction music still rings in my ears to this day months later. While I could gush about Salt and Sanctuary for hours, I will finish by saying it is a game that is greater than the sum of its parts&#8212;and its parts are amazing. I&#8217;m praying it comes out for Xbox One after a year has passed. I am looking for another excuse to play through it again, and Xbox only owners deserve to play this amazing game.

2. Dark Souls III ; I&#8217;ve been a Souls nut since I got Demon&#8217;s Souls day one on PS3. I&#8217;ve loved and platinumed all of them many times over. I&#8217;ve done no death, hand-to-hand, bow only runs, etc. It&#8217;s a series that is and will forever be near and dear to my heart. I wasn&#8217;t sure what to expect for this one, as I kept a media blackout for it the whole time. I was one of the few (feels like it on here at least) that enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more than 1. Strangely, early in the game, I found myself being a little let down by it. The difficulty felt different to me. I was dying more, but it felt easier. It&#8217;s hard to put into words how it felt. However, after restarting a few times, I fell in love with it. After the newness clicked with me, I was once again enthralled in this beautiful IP. This is a love letter to Souls fans. All the fan service and callbacks to the old games, had me grinning every time they popped up. It will be hard to go back to the older games after getting used to the changes that came with Dark Souls 3.

3. Stardew Valley ; Me at 10 P.M.: "Just one more day..." Me at 3 A.M.: "Just one..."

4. Dead Rising 4 ; I was a late comer to being a fan of the Dead Rising series. Dead Rising 2 is where I started my love for this series. After exhausting 2, I made my way back to 1 and fell in love with it too. While the time constraints were stressful, it made those games feel like puzzles. Planning runs and &#8220;perfect&#8221; runs was almost as fun as the games themselves. While that was mostly removed with 3 and completely removed with 4, I still found Dead Rising 4 a blast to play. It felt like a great mix of all its previous games. However, it did take me a bit to get into it this time around, unlike previous entries. Surprisingly, the worst parts of this game came during the beginning sections in the mall. Once Case 0 is out of the way, the game really opens up and becomes a joy. While 3 spent too much time devoted to combo vehicles and on the road (because that was the new big thing I guess), 4 still had all the functionality of it, while not focusing on it. They were merely fun tools you used to get from set piece areas. I found it provided a great mix of gameplay and design when going from story mission to story mission. Oh, and Hank East&#8217;s voice and attitude grows on you throughout the game too.

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; This game was a slow burn for me. It originally felt like find the air duct the game upon my first playthrough. After getting more familiar with the environment and maps, a solid stealth game started to appear. I ended up going through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided three times when the dust settled. My final playthrough was on the &#8220;I Never Asked for This&#8221; difficulty where it deletes your only saved game when you die. I found this playthrough a blast by this point. Feeling like a stealth master was very satisfying, and it was a feeling I thought was lacking with the game when I first played it. I will say that the story feels like a step down from HR. The premise was great, but it never culminated in a cohesive story. I really hope it did well enough financially to allow us to get a sequel in the future.

6. Quantum Break ; I love Remedy. I love Remedy games. I feel this game got unfairly panned by a lot of people, whether it due to exclusivity or PC issues. If you got past those issues, a great game could be found. No one does story like Remedy. I was hooked from the beginning here. Gunplay was adequate, time powers were fun, and cutscenes were top notch. I&#8217;m also a sucker for anything time travel related, especially if some thought has been put into it. Once the story gets going, you can&#8217;t help but wonder what&#8217;s going to happen next. I also enjoyed the TV series aspect that separated each act of the game. It wasn&#8217;t The Sopranos, but I found it close enough to Fringe levels to be serviceable.

7. Dishonored 2 ; Haven't finished yet. Most Dishonored, and I'm sure the position of this would change had I played more (I blame Stardew Valley).

8. Hyper Light Drifter ; One of the few recent indie Souls-like games that I feel pulls off combat above its station. The game is super stylish and a joy to look at. Everything about how the character moves and looks like an 8/16-bit badass.

9. Gears of War 4 ; Gears 4 is a great combat for the series. The nailed every aspect of it, and the new characters are surprisingly all likeable. It&#8217;s hard to let go, and maybe they knew that by including Marcus as an anchor for the new cast. His inclusion, however, didn&#8217;t feel out of place. It was an &#8220;almost&#8221; handing of the torch to the next generation with moments of a &#8220;not quite yet junior&#8221; wink here and there. The game itself was gorgeous and one of the best looking this generation whenever the weather effects start kicking in. Gameplay was classic gears smoothed out and refined. I&#8217;m ready for the next one.

10. Let it Die ; Punk Souls. Would've been much higher if it didn't have free to play bullshit.

alex_tetra

Neo Member
This is way too involved and stupid for some forums goty thing. Just throw up a poll or something. The first post is kind of embarrassing to read

reektann

1. The Witness ; It's rare for a game to make me feel like I'm an absolute genius one moment then a total idiot the next.
2. The Last Guardian ; They actually did it.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; I'll always be happy to spend some time with Nathan Drake. Visuals were mind blowing (even to a PC owner) and the story put a neat bow on Nathans story whilst seemingly passing the torch.
4. Overwatch ; Blizzard doing what they do, but now in the FPS genre. Absolute polish. High highs and low lows whilst looking fantastic and having much required 'tight' controls. "One more game guys.. Im close to a loot box"
5. Doom ; After each encounter; I felt like a god. As the thumping music subsided I was desperate to kill more things with bigger guns.
6. Dark Souls 3 ; Whilst Dark Souls and Bloodborne are the pinnacle, this was still a lot of fun to play through and bosses which seemed impossible at first soon fell to my axe.
7. Forza Horizon 3 ; I have grown bored of the structured 'you must get gold on this monotonous race track' type of driving games, so this was refreshing for me. Do what you like, whenever you like. Didn't win. Doesn't matter?
8. Firewatch ; Great story and a peaceful yet eerie locale to spend time in. I was so into it that I even purchased the item available at the end of the story.
9. Unravel ; Surprised this made it onto my list but the puzzles involving specific limitations of thread, the visuals and the overarching story sold this to me.
10. Monster Hunter Generations ; My first Monster Hunter game. I get it now.

Honorable Mentions
x. Inside ; Somber yet beautiful - great pay off at the end.
x. Ratchet & Clank ; Constant fun. Constant smile. Smash more things.

This is way too involved and stupid for some forums goty thing. Just throw up a poll or something. The first post is kind of embarrassing to read
Eh, there are benefits to doing it this way. It can create discussion and get people exposed to games they would have otherwise overlooked.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A technical marvel and design masterpiece. Exhilarating environmental action, and touching character development that delivers on the characters Naughty Dog created nearly a decade ago.
2. The Last Guardian ; It was hard not to develop unreasonable during the prolonged development of TLG but the adventure Team Ico delivered with Trico is something truly special, and affecting.
3. Inside ; A haunting journey, that improves upon every aspect of the already incredible Limbo. Playdead have set the bar for atmospheric horror in creating such a perfectly realized world of unsettling image and sound.

4. Titanfall 2
5. The Witness
6. Doom
7. No Man's Sky
8. Overwatch
9. Stardew Valley
10. Devil Daggers

Honourable Mentions:
x.Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
x.Dishonored 2
x.Hitman
x.Firewatch
x.Ratchet and Clank
x.Destiny: Rise of Iron
x.Oxenfree
x.Obduction
x.Gears of War 4

bosh

1. Final Fantasy XV ; Could not put this game down. To fully appreciate the game I believe you have to watch Kingsglaive movie as well as the anime series to give background story not told in the game. The ending was perfect, with endgame content to keep you coming back for more.

2. Titanfall 2 ; I have not been this addicted to an online shooter since Battlefield Bad Company 2. The game is very well balenced and even after over 48 hours spent online trying new guns and setup completely change how you play. The single player was short and sweet, but very enjoyable.

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A fitting end to Drake's story. Enjoyed it every step of the way. While the game had less set pieces compared to previous games, you felt in control of Drake through each action. I also enjoyed how the game showed how flawed the characters where instead of presenting them as perfect hero's.

4. The Witness ; The best puzzle game hands down I have ever played. You learn through trying and exploring around the island. I have pages of puzzles written down to attempt to solve these puzzles. If you play this game, go in blind and don't use any help guides. It pays off!

5. Dark Souls III ; Its a souls game, you know what you are getting into. The layout was fresh, and the enemies and bosses where a joy to slaughter.

6. Overwatch ; Great competitive game. I don't play a lot of it anymore, but for the time I did spend playing this game it works very well and all of the characters are different enough to have a reason to use them.

7. Abzû ; Beautiful game with amazing music. Story is not as hard hitting as Journey (Similar format game), but it is still very enjoyable.

8. Hitman ; Was very unsure of how the episodic release would work. The content is great and I believe they set themselves up very well for season 2. The first time you try the levels you really get the wow factor at just how much bigger the series has become.

9. Bioshock: The Collection ; Never played the games originally and thoroughly enjoyed this collection. I would rank this in the top 3 of the year. The reason its lower on my list is the content technically came out previous years. I was shocked how well number 1 & 2 looked. In terms for remaster they did an okay job, it would seem a simple port from the pc variations but none of them have technical issues getting in the way so it works.

10. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir ; Similar to Bioshock, would be higher on the list if it had not been a remaster but new content. Played it for the first time this year and found it fantastic. As terms of remaster, they did a fantastic job updating the art and animations as well as the combos.

Honourable Mentions:
Street Fighter 5 - Gameplay is fantastic and has rejuvinated the fan base.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse- Played SMT IV, have not had a chance to play this one yet but know its better in almost every way from SMT IV which I loved.
Persona 5 - Not played it yet, but love the series
Pokemon Sun/Moon - Only a few hours into it but a welcome to the series. Last one I played was silver so its a whole new world compared to the earlier versions.

1. The Last Guardian ; Ueda anf his team delivered epic video game poetry third time in a row. I'm so glad for them. It's an honour to play a game like this in times like these.
2. Dark Souls III ; While missing a bit of the dread and character that made other games in the series a tiny bit more special for me, graphics and gameplay were perfect. Such a well made game.
3. Dodonpachi Resurrection ; The Steam remaster gently (or not) introduced me to the bullet hell genre. I actually won a copy here on neogaf! Worth the full price.
4. Stardew Valley ; This was the most I was ever hooked on a Harvest Moon-style game.
5. Inside ; I wasn't as blown away by the second half as I was from the first ten minutes I liked it overall. It's a fine game and much better than Limbo storywise. I liked most of the puzzles, too and that's rare.

Kiro

?? Gaf is for the most passionate gamers who follow games and the industry closely and in depth.

I've read many of the posts here about games I've played and games I haven't. I'm not sure what you expected Gaf to be? This isn't really a casual gaming space.

lcap

1. Furi ; No game resonated with me as much as Furi. I got it free from PS+ but would gladly double dip. It combines a boss rush game with great action and shmup mechanics.
2. The Last Guardian ; This one was tight to choose between TLG and Furi, but when I think about a game that kept in my mind after finishing, both did on their own terms. But the reason I chose TLG on second is because the moments of frustration I went through. But the world, the relationship with Trico all contribute for this masterpiece.
3. Doom ; Not a lot to talk about this. Just pure, unadulterated fun. Incredible game. I really want more of this.
4. Final Fantasy XV ; I haven't been so invested in game for such a long time. It surely has its flaws regarding the story and quality of side quests, but everything else makes up for them.
5. Superhot ; The most innovative shooter I've played in years.
6. Quantum Break ; Really good game from Remedy Games. Loved the storytelling and awesome gameplay with time based powers.
7. Ratchet and Clank ; Great remake, loved every second of my time with it.
8. Hitman ; Awesome stealth game and really appreciated the episodic nature of release to savour every location.
9. No Man's Sky ; Really enjoyed my time with it. I'm looking forward for the future updates on the game.
10. Dishonored 2 ; Haven't finished it yet but its more Dishonored and much improved gameplay.

Honorable Mentions

x. Uncharted 4 ; Nice game, extremely polished and well done, but didn't resonate with me as much as the other games to make up the list.
x. Gears of War 4 ;
x. Titanfall 2 ;

1-Uncharted 4; This is very hard to decide which games are the best; however, Uncharted 4 is the best of 2016 because of it's perfect story, gameplay, graphic, music, and level design.

2-Overwatch; Although I'm not a multiplayer games' fan; this video game is a masterpiece and I enjoy it.

3-Dishonored 2; Another Bethesda's perfect game with an addictive gameplay.

4-Inside; Would you like to engage with a philosophical world? Try the Inside and find the human revolution

5-Deus Ex: Mankind Devided; A good action rpg.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
A technical marvel and design masterpiece. Exhilarating environmental action, and touching character development that delivers on the characters Naughty Dog created nearly a decade ago.
2. The Last Guardian
It was hard not to develop unreasonable during the prolonged development of TLG but the adventure Team Ico delivered with Trico is something truly special, and affecting.
3. Inside
A haunting journey, that improves upon every aspect of the already incredible Limbo. Playdead have set the bar for atmospheric horror in creating such a perfectly realized world of unsettling image and sound.

4. Titanfall 2
5. The Witness
6. Doom
7. No Man's Sky
8. Overwatch
9. Stardew Valley
10. Devil Daggers

Honourable Mentions:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Hitman
Firewatch
Ratchet and Clank
Destiny: Rise of Iron
Oxenfree
Obduction
Gears of War 4

Formating folks.

Criticizing the way GAF handles the GotY is ridiculous to me. It's an utter joy to read why people love certain games, which in turn put some new games on my radar.

Blizzard

Banned
1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ; I suspect this will be a minority opinion because the game is flawed, but I loved this. Mirror's Edge 1 was one of my favorite games ever with a beautiful soundtrack, bright visuals that stood the test of time, and unique movement that rewarded the player. I primarily played both games with mouse and keyboard. After waiting a long time, basically expecting EA to discontinue or ruin the franchise, I was finally able to beta test and then play Catalyst. Did it end up with a mediocre story? Sure, though that didn't bother me too much. Does it have some baffling issue(s) that can be frustrating, like non-time-trial missions taking a long time to restart even on an SSD? Yes. Despite this, the game is something special to me. Some of the voice actors did a good job despite the story, like Dogen. I was one of the few who actually liked Plastic's portrayal of someone who struggles with social / emotional interaction. The lead character is a woman again, which is always appreciated. The visuals range from decent to outright beautiful in places. The soundtrack by the same composer as the original has steadily grown on me, and I sometimes listen to it while working. The singleplayer missions, gridnode puzzles, and timetrials generally have solid design despite the iffy quality of optional missions. Most importantly, the parkour movement is as good as, and probably better than, the original game in my opinion. One of the high points for me was a tower climb that felt like a love letter to my favorite mission, Kate, from the original game.

2. The Witness ; I spent something like 40 hours on this. It lacks a story, but the game design is incredibly painstaking and thoughtful throughout. I didn't do the black pillar optional puzzles, but I did solve all the panels eventually. Someone told me hints to locate perhaps 2 puzzles. For someone who enjoys difficult, thoughtful first-person puzzle solving in a beautiful environment, this is a very solid game.

3. Overwatch ; This is probably the game I've played most this year. I played a lot of Enemy Territory: Return to Castle Wolfenstein long ago. Then, I played a ton of Team Fortress 2. Overwatch managed to be Team Fortress 3 while also curing me of League of Legends / Counterstrike Global Offensive addiction. It is somehow less frustrating to me than either of those games, I think, possibly tied with CSGO. I think the biggest help to me is that even a ranked match in Overwatch tends to be over more quickly than a 45+ minute low-level ranked League of Legends loss, so the time investment is not so massively punishing. Overwatch's gameplay itself feels very polished to me with good sound design, relatively clean visuals, and fun movement.

4. Civilization VI ; I may need to edit this if an official name gets added to the spreadsheet. Right now it is not listed. At any rate, it seems to include about the same amount of content as Civilization V after the patches. Though some aspects of science and/or culture may be a bit unbalanced at present, and the sheer variety of options Civilization V gave you is not as immediately apparent, I have hopes that with patches this will go from a good game to a great game. I feel Civilization VI gives you frequent choices with the civic/science trees but as a result, each choice is not as impactful. In addition, many building options may be hidden until requirements are unlocked, so it is not as obvious what choices you may have in the future. You can also screw yourself with a bad city layout, though I suppose experience helps this part.

5. Firewatch ; Firewatch is sort of the opposite of The Witness. You also have a pretty environment to explore, but it is very heavy on story and very minimal on puzzles. The strong voice acting and interesting story are backed by a nice soundtrack I've listened to after finishing the game. Some people disliked the ending, but I think the emotions produced actually indicate the designers did what they set out to do. That may not be what some would want them to do, but I think they might have achieved their vision.

6. Overcooked ; This caught me by surprise when I played it at a LAN party and we had it up on a projector. It is a multiplayer cooking game where everyone frantically rushes around a kitchen trying to fulfill orders and getting in each other's way by accident. My girlfriend and I beat the whole game together to get the achievements and had a pretty great time. I haven't played the free winter content yet, but I appreciate it being added.

7. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; This seems like a good entry to the series though I am not far enough into it to know everything. However, it still has some really questionable design decisions like requiring stylus control for a couple of random control/information pages while most everything else works with buttons. There are also a LOT of unskippable cutscenes early on, and I would have preferred less forced and less length tutorials and story. It made me miss the days of dialogue boxes instead of full animated 3D cutscenes.

8. Pokémon Go ; Despite the many flaws and glitches with this game, it has produced an undeniable affect on the world. It resulted in my girlfriend and I doing a lot of wandering outside we probably wouldn't have done otherwise, and I think it was a net positive. I just wish it was a little better in regard to randomness, step accuracy, and the sheer time required, yet I'm still apparently addicted.

Top Bottom