• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict: 2017 in Gaming

Games that won't release this year: Shenmue 3, Crackdown 3, Trails TC, that Project Sonic thing, Ni No Kuni 2

I'm giving FFVIIR a 'maybe this year' with SE trying to make the anniversary, but I will not be surprised in the least if it doesn't make it in 2017.

Games delayed but still releasing this year: Zelda and uh... Nier?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Video Game Retail will struggle and struggle hard.

Pre-Orders will dip across the board with only the biggest of games reporting good Pre-Order numbers (RDR2 and ME probably).

Switch will struggle. Nintendo still won't nail down online play or a good account system and storage will be a big problem. Unless they nail marketing, it will be seen for its weaknesses and not its strengths. Pokemon will not sell a $250 machine. Nintendo will announce a Switch Mini by the end of 2017.

The industry has been exposed a bit. Consumers have seen that the industry will tank prices to attract sales so more than ever, people will wait.

Both PS4/XB1 will drop to $199.

Smaller titles will continue to be where the hotness is at.

Necron

2017 is the year Lorne Lanning appears on-stage at a press conference and kills someone.

Probably the most hilariously random prediction I've ever seen here... and 1st post too. It's an odd world indeed.

Edit: I predict Bloodborne 2 will be announced in 2017.

AdanVC

-Resident Evil 7 is good an becomes a hit. The VR version not so much.
-Nintendo Switch becomes a success. It'll become a pain in the butt to get one cuz it'll be sold out everywhere.
- The new 3D Mario blows everyones mind. GOTY material.
- The new Zelda gets 10/10, everyone seems to love it... but after a few months it'll be hated on GAF just like Skyward Sword did.
- Horizon will be great and veeeeeery pretty but it will have gameplay problems that will keep it away of the GOTY category.
- VRs popularity decreases even more to the point VR sets get discounted heavily.
- RDR2 gets delayed
- Nintendo keeps releasing mobile games. They become a success.
- Scorpio launches and sells steady but below expectations.
- Scalebound launches and it's a hot mess. Kamiya blocks and insults everyone.
- Sony announces some sort of Vita successor to compete with Nintendo Switch.
- FF7R episode 1 launches on holiday. It is awesome. GOTY material too

Cartho

1. PS4 will continue to do well on the back of its strong and varied lineup of exclusives and multiplats.

2. Switch will be a fantastic machine but it will be shown too much as a home console and, priced at £250, it will bomb sales wise due to PS4 and Xbox zone being cheaper and hugely more powerful.

3. Wipeout will return from on high and show us the true next gen racer.

4. Red Dead Redemption 2 will be delayed to 2018.

5. Destiny 2 will be announced at E3 and not be out till 2018.

6. Scorpio will launch but, held back by the OG Xb1, it will not deliver as big a jump as people were expecting. It will instead deliver PS4 pro esque IQ boosts and the odd native 4K game. MS will launch it with the usual Halo / Forza stuff and then wonder why people don't buy it despite its eye watering (for a console) price.

7. Sony will go ham on Black Friday, offering Slim bundles for £175 and PS4 Pro will get a price cut from £350 to £250, with bundles starting at £275. MS will struggle to convince people that their £500 box is worth twice as much as the PS4 Pro based on the relatively small boost in image quality compared to The Pro.

Wil348

-Scorpio and Pro will sell below expectation, developers will half-ass support for them.
-Horizon: Zero Dawn will release to lukewarm reception.
-Switch could go either way. Either it's a surprise hit or a bomb like the Wii U.
-Activision will release another futuristic CoD, confusing the decline.
-Battlefront 2 will actually be a pretty good game.
-Red Dead Redemption 2 will be delayed into 2018.
-Sonic Mania will win back goodwill for the franchise, but Project 2017 will lose it again.
-Destiny 2 will be good.
-Lego Dimensions will get cancelled after its second year.
-Crash remaster will disappoint.
-Knack 2 will end up being a pretty decent game, GAF implodes.
-Ubisoft gets bought out by Vivendi.
-Zelda releases to very positive reception from critics, but hardcore fans hate it.
-Persona 5 will inexplicably be delayed again in the west.
-GT Sport disappoints.
-Sea of Theives releases, everybody wonders where a new Banjo is.

marmoka

Banned
- Switch will do well, but Scorpio will fail
- Zelda will get an average of 85 in Metacritic
- Horizon will sell well, but metascore will be up to 80
- There won't be any new relevant announcements of 3DS games
- Vita won't get new games, apart of those already announced for this year

MrS

Banned
5. Destiny 2 will be announced at E3 and not be out till 2018.
Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?

1. Ubisoft taken over, actually starts making good games again
2. RDR2 releases and is GOTY
3. Bloodborne 2 announced at E3 for March 2018 release
4. Switch is released but received poorly. This is exacerbated by a Zelda delay.
5. GT Sport releases and is a massive disappointment.

-Crash remaster will disappoint.

The announcement might have been a disappointment, but I think we all know what to expect from the actual product. Unless the development team is as bad as anyone trying to port old Sonic games, you know what you get - 1:1 Crash Bandicoot stages with new graphics.

Hawk269

1. The Nintendo presser in January fails to deliver many details gamers were looking for. They show limited amount of games and a lot of coverage of Zelda is similar to what we have already seen.

2. Switch launches late March and sells out immediately. The sell out is due to low amount of units being released. Nintendo continues to ship low amount of units into the markets and creates the typical media responses of it being sold out everywhere and Nintendo gains free marketing/news.

3. Switch received mixed reviews and launch titles are of average quality. Nintendo GAF calls it the 2nd coming, reasonable people say it is just "ok". Battery life on the handheld sucks, but a 3rd party reveals a new battery. Zelda gets delayed till Holiday 2017, but is looking really good at E3.

4. Sony shows a bunch of CGI footage for new games, Gaf and media goes crazy, but most stuff they show at E3 is 2019 or farther out.

5. Horizon Zero Down delivers and looks great and plays great. Both user and media reviews are very good for it.

6. MS will announce a pre-E3 show to go over Scorpio's real name and more technical overview and show some games. E3 is mentioned where they will focus on showing a lot more games, release date and price.

7. Sony and MS older hardware drops to $199.99 during the holidays, PRO drops to $349.99 during the holidays.

8. Scorpio is priced at $499.99, has a variant of the Zen CPU and GPU is upgraded higher than 6TF.

Euron

Switch:

1. Release in March to greater sales success than Wii U

2. Dies down as the year goes on as Nintendo struggles to get new software out in time. Sales get a bump for the holidays but fails to meet expectations.

3. 3rd Party Support is decent at first with games like Skyrim Remastered and a few other remasters but it won't get the support of big games like RDR2 and Mass Effect Andromeda and support will lessen as the year goes on

4. Mario will release at launch and be more like 3D World than the Galaxy games. I hope I'm wrong with this one because I want it to be SM64-2

5. Zelda gets delayed past June to a September or even a November release. It will essentially be ALBW again in terms of dungeon style. Critics will love the open world but fans will hate how it affects dungeons and the story. It'll be overlooked in terms of GOTY nods.

6. Retro isn't making Metroid Prime 4 but the game is announced at E3 for a 2018 release. And it won't be a new IP

7. Much of the year one 1st party lineup will consist of remasters with added content like Smash 4, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8 for Switch.

8. Pikmin 4 is announced but slips to 2018

9. Mario/Rabbids RPG is somehow the best game released on Switch and GAF will love it

Everything else:

1. Horizon gets decent reviews at launch with a low 80's MC

2. Most of Sony's big games are slated for 2018 (God of War, Spider Man, Days Gone)

3. Crackdown 3 is MS's main Holiday 2017 title with an October release. 84 MC

4. Mass Effect Andromeda releases in May 2017. Gets an 89 MC but will get GOTY nods if RDR2 is delayed

5. RDR2 isn't delayed and actually makes its Fall 2017 release. Single player isn't as good as RDR1 but it gets a 96 MC and sweeps GOTY awards. My cynicism is telling me it'll be pushed back but with an actual release window announced and nothing from Rockstar since the 2014 GTAV remaster, I'm inclined to believe it'll make that window.

6. The first part of the FF7 remaster releases in December. It's panned for being so light on content in comparison to its price

7. Destiny 2 releases in September with a full open world. Has an actual story but is a bit light since it will get constant updates. Some content that didn't make the first will be included. It'll also release on PC. 88 MC

8. Assassin's Creed Empire will try very hard to be The Witcher 3. Decent reviews and it gets overlooked yet somehow becomes a surprise hit with GAF

9. Battlefront 2 releases in November, has a campaign this time clocking in at about 4 hours. It'll be a step above the Battlefield ones but not be a hit like Titanfall 2.

10. Next CoD is Advanced Warfare 2. I won't buy it yet again and Activison will try to reverse declining sales with MW2 Remastered. CoD4 remastered will release separately for $60.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy will be a huge sales success and both Sony and Activision will be flabbergasted at what the hell is going on.

VR ''dies''. All of them.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nintendo:
-The Switch does really well initially. Not Wii great, but trends well ahead of the Wii U.

-The objective with Switch isn't just to beat the previous console's sales, though, it's to beat console and handheld sales combined. Over time it will be clear that it's not capturing the handheld market like previous Nintendo handhelds have, which will be a problem considering that they'll be developing historically handheld-weighted franchises with console budgets and prices. These sorts of titles still sell okay, but not enough to justify the huge jump in development cost. Mid 2018 sees Nintendo release a Switch Mini to combat the problem, Switch hardware with a more handheld size and no modular components. This does pretty well to rectify the situation.

-Hardcore fans will be a bit nonplussed at the amount of enhanced Wii U ports in the Switch's first year, but they will be a boon to the system's perception. They'll pad out the release schedule nicely to prevent droughts, and a significant portion of people buying the Switch won't have played those games originally. Plus, despite their grumbling, plenty of Nintendo marks will line up to rebuy them anyway.

-Breath of the Wild will have a great overworld, but very disappointing dungeons with a lack of Zelda's usual structured design. The non-linear nature that you can visit them in will, much like Link Between Worlds, mean each dungeon will only focus around the use of one item to the exclusion of the rest of your inventory.

-3DS still enjoys strong sales, despite Nintendo trying to abandon it and move those sales to the Switch.

-NES Classic Mini shipments overcorrect and are abundant on store shelves around February. They sell at a decent clip, though, and are hard to find again a few months later.

-Switch announcements: 3D Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Nintendoland 2, Pikmin 4

-Switch enhanced ports: Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Sony:
-Horizon is a visual dynamo but the game part will be kinda middle-of-the-road. The writing is weak and the gameplay is kinda eh and repetitive.

-Days Gone, Detroit, and the Crash collection will be Sony's Q4 slate. Days Gone will surprise people with its quality, but it'll only perform okay at retail, the market's kind of fatigued with zombies. Detroit will sharply underperform, it'll be a decent enough game, but the market hasn't responded too well to these interactive movies and this one won't turn that around. Crash Remastered will stick to the old games' gameplay a bit too faithfully and the old animation framework will seem a bit too canned and undynamic against the newer visuals, but it'll sell solid numbers during the holidays due to it being the most visible reply to "what's a good PS4 game for kids?"

-Uncharted: The Lost Legacy w/ UC4's multiplayer and all its expansions will release as a $40-50 standalone disc during the summer. GT Sport releases in the same timeframe, and is plagued by server hiccups and some iffy performance on non-Pro PS4s.

-God of War will be Spring 2018, Spider-man Summer 2018, and TLOU2 Winter 2018. Death Stranding is a moving goalpost for a couple years and will probably be shifted to PS5.

-FFVII Remake's first episode just squeaks in at the end of the year, and is overly short with a lot of fiercely hated gameplay changes and narrative cuts.

-PS4 Pro and PSVR exist quietly and without much fanfare.

-Bloodborne 2 and a Sucker Punch third-person shooter are the big E3 announcements.

Microsoft:
-Scorpio is delayed to 2018 and now billed as a legit successor console. MS looks at PS4 Pro sales and concludes the whole "it's like a new system, but it's not" tiered upgrade approach just creates an unnecessary quagmire of consumer confusion and apathy, and they decide they don't need to rush into VR given its tepid uptake.

-Scalebound falls well below Kamiya's usual standards, but it has its fans. MS doesn't give it much of a push, sells like garbage.

-Sea of Thieves is good, but never really builds a decent player base and dies off pretty quickly.

-Halo 6 revealed at E3, presentation ends with "and we're launching this holiday," cue applause.

-Forza 7 is revealed as a Scorpio title. Crackdown 3 is rerevealed looking a lot more impressive, Scorpio launch title. Quick Gears 5 tease with a Scorpio stinger.

General:
-Persona 5 sells gangbusters. Nier Automata sells better than expected. Ni-Oh disappoints, both game-wise and sales-wise.

-Activision throws heavy marketing muscle behind Destiny 2 and backs off from of Call of Duty a bit. Sales follow suit, Destiny becomes their juggernaut while COD continues to slump.

-RDR2 slips into 2018.

-New Overwatch heroes come at a pretty glacial pace, and a big rebalance update packaged with one causes an uproar until it's walked back. The game's player base declines noticeably.

-Battleborn goes F2P and does surprisingly well.

-MvC Infinite will be hot garbage and the Marvel roster will reek of being a glorified advertisement for whatever the MCU is currently pushing.

-Street Fighter V stumbles along through S2's new characters with a few good additions and a few resounding thuds. S3 goes back to all legacy characters.

-Yooka-Laylee does great all around.

-Star Wars Battlefront II gets a single-player campaign of typical middling DICE quality, but it helps the game's sales a lot.

-Mass Effect: Andromeda scores well and leaves a good first impression but is regarded as disappointing overall.

-VR bobbles along, some new concepts pop up here and there, but nothing that inspires any mass-market uptake. Lots of VR projects are quietly cancelled or rushed out half-baked.

New game reveals:
2K: New Midnight Club, Borderlands The Third, Mafia episodic series/DLC, brief Bioshock teaser

Square-Enix: New Tomb Raider, Hitman Season 2, Theatrhythm Switch (w/ S-E and Nintendo songs), some Final Fantasy spinoff bullshit

Capcom: DMC5, downloadable Megaman X (probably just a conversion of Maverick Hunter X, but maybe an outsourced thing like Strider)

ZeniMax: Dishonored 2 DLC, New Wolfenstein, New Tango Project, brief Elder Scrolls 6 teaser

Konami: lel

EA: Star Wars Action Game, Need for Speed: Whatever the Fuck, Battlefield: Bad Company 1&2 Remastered, Mass Effect Trilogy PS4/XBO

Ubisoft: FarCry 5, New Assassin's Creed, Beyond Good & Evil Switch, Rabbids/Mario RPG What Is This Even, New Call of Juarez to piggyback on RDR2's hype

Telltale: Star Wars episodic series in collaboration with EA on a New Goddamn Engine Finally

WB Games: Damian Wayne Batman game, Dying Light 2, Lego Avengers 2, Lego Fantastic Beasts, Shadow of Mordor 2

Tecmo-Koei: DOA6, Jojo Warriors

Bandai-Namco: Soul Calibur VI, Tales of Chlamydia, a One-Punch Man game, Dragonball Super

SEGA: More Sonic and Yakuza, I reckon. Surprise Outrun?

There will be more games with stories about overthrowing dictators and taking down racists.

This will be the best time to release the rumored Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.

AzaK

- Switch releases, The machine sells well to the handheld and casual crowd.

- 6 months later Nintendo release the Switch Console Elite bundle. An SCD with 4Tf of additional power, daisy chainable.

- A year later they release an upgraded handheld unit with 4K screen, more power and a Head Mount unit for VR without cables.

- 6 months after that, Nintendo go broke as it plateaus at Wii U levels because western publishers didn't put any games on it

Sanctuary

I actually end up liking more than 3-4 games a lot, and not bored with the majority of "critically acclaimed" games, as well what the majority of what often flies for "best games ever" on GAF.
Or, I finally realize that the golden years of gaming are simply never returning and that last gen was actually great in comparison to what's to come.

Hell, at this point, I'd just settle for Nioh, Horizon and Andromeda all simply being "good".

RoKKeR

I'll give 5 short predictions, can't wait to see how this all turns out!

1. Mass Effect Andromeda delayed past May - I hope to hell I'm wrong on this one, but so far I've yet to see any compelling evidence that this game is going to come out on schedule. They have been incredibly cagey with footage and information, and the fact that we still don't have a release date does not fill me with confidence. I could see it coming out sometime in June ala Last of Us.

2. Switch is critically acclaimed/loved by all, supply constrained - Not really sticking my neck out on this one, but I do think the Switch will garner a lot of love in its first month of launch. However, in classic Nintendo fashion, this thing will be hard to come by for months post-release.

3. Scorpio is the Xbox One Elite (forget the old one) and launches (base SKU) at $399 in November - Dumb name prediction aside, I do expect to see the Scorpio debut at $399. There has been a lot of dodging and misdirection from Phil and other Xbox personalities regarding the price, but they are setting themselves up for a big hit and wave of positive press if they can hit the ever-elusive $399 target.

4. In addition to Halo 6 being teased, a Halo spinoff title is announced for release on Scorpio in 2017 developed by Certain Affinity/343 - This one's a bit of a stretch and I don't know who exactly would develop such a game, but I'm expecting there to be a big-ish Halo title for release alongside the Scorpio next holiday. Because I think that Halo 3 Anniversary would be derivative and would have a lukewarm reception, I think an ODST-style spinoff could be in the cards to freshen up the franchise and offer a new experience.

5. Days Gone and GT Sport release in late 2017, God of War and Detroit are slated for 2018

Bonus: Red Dead Redemption 2 actually releases in May 2018, my original prediction for years. :(
Please don't be true!

Rolf NB

Scorpio will again be a conversation point at E3, still without a price tag, then delayed, then shoved under the rug completely.

Switch will stay below 1.5M hardware units in Japan, and struggle harder than the Wii U in EU / US territories. 250$ launch price.

Dragon Quest XI will become the fastest selling PS4 game in Japan, opening at ~1.2M first week.

New Borderlands announced and launched fall 2017.

New Diablo announced.

My predictions:

-Sony will realize they made a mistake in launching unnecessarily early with the PS4 Pro
-MS will launch a completely new IP from a new studio along with Scorpio, it will be a AAA experience with incredible production values.
-Scorpio will come out cheaper than expected
-MS will further improve Win10 and add features, as well as further buckle to pressure to open up the platform more
-RE7 will turn out excellent and review really well. Reviewers will praise the game for going outside of the RE box, while at the same time remaining faithful to the core pillars that define the franchise
-Switch comes out and does very well, however software at launch is lacking beside an amazing Mario game
-Nvidia release the 1080ti and I buy one (this is not a prediction.. it will happen =P )

Kimawolf

XBox- Scorpio amazes people with its power, makes PC gamers feel threatened slightly. Xbox 1 S becomes second best selling gaming system in 2017, mostly thanks to the States.

Sony- PS4 continues its sales at a slightly slower pace. The lack of 1st party games become noticeable now. FFVII R gives Sony a sales boost, but not enough. and in Nov Sony sees its first time being number 3 in monthly total sales.

Nintendo- Switch becomes a hit despite pessimistic journalists. It sells as many units as Nintendo can produce through Christmas. It goes on to be number 1 selling gaming device for holiday season, with Xbox family number 2.

E3 they announce a surprise game which no one expects.

SE- FFVII R sells below expectations, but DQXI sells above. they announce a FF6 remaster for Switch and another exclusive game.

UBi- They find a major publisher who is willing to partner with them and save them from being bought out.

EA has sales down on all major games, from Mass Effect to Madden, and have to "reorganize" their structure.

Activison- Destiny 2 becomes one of the best selling games of holiday and redefines multiplayer gamer on all game systems, from Switch to PC.

WoW Sequel is announced, or a new MMO is announced with competitive play components.

Capcom- Announces a Nintendo vs Capcom fighting game which surprises everyone at E3 and a Megaman game as well.

benjammin

Destiny 2 and Bloodborne 2 are announced.
The Last of Us 2 gets dated for Winter 2017.
Zelda is incredibly divisive.
The Switch is impossible to find in stores for 3 or 4 months because Nintendo can't provide an adequate supply. Sales are decent but not mind blowing.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Here goes

The Nintendo Switch will be another NES Classic and incredibly hard to find.

Nintendo will once again prove they couldn't care less about "winning" E3, and avoid a traditional conference.... those people that want Nintendo to "step up and compete with the big boys" will be disappointed.

The Scorpio will be far less expensive than many expect and will do well.

Scalebound will be a commercial flop but will have many fans saying how wonderful it is. (Basically, every Platinum game ever.)

VR will continue to flounder.

Nintendo will release at least one classic IP, but it will be in an unconventional form that a lot of fans will hate, even though the game will be good. (Example: Paper Mario: Color Splash.) - Edit: Thinking about it, Pikmin 3DS is a prime candidate for this.

Mother 3 will finally be released on Switch.

Undertale will be released for Switch

NieR and Mass Effect will be delayed and/or when they're finally released, they won't live up to the hype.

friday

- Destiny 2 will be the game we always wanted Destiny 1 to be. It will have a much wider scope and depth than the first one

- Rockstar have given themselves enought time and red dead 2 will launch this fall. It will have a strong multiplayer aspect to it considering the success they have had with gta online

- Blizzard will either tease or announce a new MMO project that is similar in scale to WoW

- We will see our first critically acclaimed full lengthy vr game released

- Overall 2017 will be a little lighter on high quality releases considering how strong of a year 2016 has been.

Ok sorry to make a second post, but I rushed through my first one while waiting for my meal at a restaurant and I want to do my actual thought-out one. Removed my Destiny 2 prediction that it would be Microsoft marketed

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch will be a reasonable success, but not enough to compete with PS4 or Xbox One

Zelda BOTW will be the highest rated game since GTAV, but will be incredibly divisive amongst consumers

A new Metroid will be revealed next month, launching in the fall on Switch

Mario Switch will be a launch title

Despite promises, third party support will be lacking, but not as bad as Wii U

Microsoft

Microsoft will nail the Scorpio reveal, and it will be more successful in its debut month than the PS4 Pro was

For the second straight E3 Microsoft will have a weak lineup of new game announcements for people who aren't fans of the Halo-Gears-Forza cycle

Cyberpunk 2077 will debut gameplay at E3 at the Microsoft conference running on Scorpio, but it will not release until 2018

A Halo 5 Blue Team standalone game will be announced at E3. This game will follow Blue team throughout the events of Halo 5 giving more context to the story. Will cost less than $60 and will be 3-5 hours long. Launches in the fall. Will be well received by audiences, but people will also complain that it wasn't part of the main game

Sea of Thieves will get 86 or higher on metacritic. Sales will be good initially, and continue to grow over time due to frequent support by Rare

Scalebound on the other hand will score in the 50's on metacritic and the game is a total mess. Kamiya reacts in the most Kamiya way possible

Crackdown 3 delivers on its ambitions, and is initially well received by audiences, but quickly dies when people realize there is little to do other than blow shit up

Sony

PS4 sales will continue to go strong, winning at least 8 NPD's throughout the year

Horizon Zero Dawn will get 90+ on metacritic, and by the end of the year it will have surpassed Uncharted 4 as the best selling PS4 exclusive

Sony will announce 3 new AAA IP's at E3 from Sucker Punch, From Software, and Sony Japan

Between E3 and PSX Sony will announce AT MOST 3 PSVR games on stage

Final Fantasy VII remake part 1 will release in November with a PS4 bundle to counter the Scorpio

Gran Turismo Sport will get solid reviews, but will sell less than GT6 and won't be received well by audiences

Death Stranding will get another trailer at E3 showing another famous actor, followed by a gameplay reveal at PSX that looks unlike anything we've ever seen

Third Party

Red Dead Redemption 2 WILL launch in the fall, it will be a fantastic game but everyone will hate it due to not being as mindblowingly amazing as Red Dead Redemption

Resident Evil VII will be a return to greatness for the series

Prey is the sleeper hit of 2017, but some will hate it no matter what and continue bitching until the end of time that it isn't Prey 2

Mass Effect Andromeda will be really good, but many will claim it's just Dragon Age Inquisition in space regardless if that's true or not

Destiny 2 improves on the smaller issues from Destiny, but the big issues get worse

Remedy reveals that their new partner is Rockstar and their next game is Max Payne 4

Ubisoft goes out of business
or surprise release a new Warlord's
The Switch becomes the new Xbox
MS buys Crytek
Cook Serve Delicious finally gets released on PS4 and wins game of the year
Warhawk gets remastered for PS4 and launched day 1 of E3

heathen

Sony should have an amazing E3. Assuming a 2019 PS5 release, this would be the last big E3 for PS4 announcements (and 2018 will be the usual deafening silence):

- FROM's Bloodborne (spiritual) sequel.
- FROM's Armored Core reboot (new IP)
- FFXVI teaser (targeting fall 2019 lol)
- Japan Studio JRPG (balee)
- Sucker Punch new IP

I mean, they didn't feel the need to save TLOU2 for this, it must be stacked.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
1. Red Dead Redemption will release to critical acclaim. No PC version until 2018.
2. Scorpio will be another Xbox situation where they're cutting the price down and offering free games, etc to get some interest going.
3. Valve won't release any new games.
4. Diablo 4 will be unveiled.
5. CoD continues it's slide as nobody cares about Sledgehammer.
6. Star Wars Battlefront 2 impresses. Single player campaign is somewhat good.
7. Switch fails to gain any traction beyond the Nintendo crowd. Third party support turns out to be as poor as expected.
8. Hexen 3 is announced
9. Sega finally brings some more PC love in the form of Skies of Arcadia and Bayonetta
10. Turn 10 releases another Forza.

Lets go:
- FF7R refines the game play concepts FFXV put forward and is a hit.
- P5 is well recieved
- Wii tier of shovelware for VR platforms
- Andromeda is well received
- The switch sell better than the wii u, but not the wii
- Breath of the Wild's open world will suck, but the rest of the game will make up for it.
- New FromSoft game that is not souls
- Destiny 2 Rules
- Riot finally announce that fighting game they bought out that company for
- SFV finally gets it shit together
- Red Dead 2 is good, but people prefer 1
- NiOh is a huge success
- RE7 is good in its own way, but does not feel like a RE game
- Scalebound's open world is meh, but the game play is dope
- Death Stranding trailers and media will continue to be amazing nonsense our feeble minds struggle to comprehend
- Nier is godlike

I was disappointed when they canceled Rising Thunder. I seriously wanted to get into a fighter that didn't require insanely complex joystick motions.

Hopefully the game they release is in the same vain. I liked rising thunder as well, but really didn't like most of the characters.

psyfi

Banned
I definitely think the Switch will be a success. I have very little doubt on that one.

I think we'll get a better understanding of the future of Halo. My guess is Halo 6 announced at E3 for XB1 and PC, with an on-stage demo of multiplayer running on Scorpio. They'll demo MP first to build off the successes of Halo 5 and to show Scorpio running actual gameplay.

Scorpio will be successful. It won't cause a big spike in XB1 sales, but it'll keep them steadily growing. It'll be the new home for people who want the highest performing console multiplats and for people who just want the new hot hardware.

Pokemon Stars will NOT be the Switch's biggest Holidary 2017 title, as I've seen people recently speculate. It'll be there, but something else will get a bigger media push. I have no clue what, though, haha.

Nintendo will release a sequel an F-Zero reboot with some of the same cast, a more stylized comic book / hand drawn aesthetic, all new courses, 16 players online, tournament mode, ranking system, etc. It'll be the first racing game to have a notable presence in the esports scene. The game will also feature a story mode that's half racing, half detective adventure visual novel, codeveloped by the Zero Escape team at Spike Chunsoft.

Cutebrute

Halo 3 Anniversary will be released for Xbone/Scorpio/PC to a muted response, but MS will use that opportunity to tout 4k Halo and relaunch a MCC 2.0 for the Xbox platforms as well as PC.

Crackdown 3 will be surprisingly well-received, but fail at retail.

The Switch will be sold out in its first months, but there will be too many success and fail stories revolving around it to reach a verdict on Nintendo's first hybrid console. The first and third party support for this device will be fine through 2017 but we will see signs of the software lineup drying up going into 2018 (in usual Nintendo fashion).

Nintendo will have a decent Switch presentation, but lose a lot of momentum after a lackluster E3 2017.

The PS4Pro will struggle to make an argument for its own existence, and Scorpio will show more promising signs at retail, but the PS4-Xbox narrative is not shifted by much.

The base PS4/One models will stay at roughly $250 even going into the next holiday season.

Call of Duty 2017 still won't perform particularly great, but Destiny 2 will more than pick up the slack, despite it having a polarizing launch like the first game.

RDR2 WILL make its November launch date.

That last one is 50/50

Hawk269

We will get another trailer, with no gameplay of Kojima's game at Sony's 2017 E3 presentation and we will wont know what the hell kind of gameplay/type of game it is. We also will still be in the dark on when it will come out.

spannicus

Friday the 13th will be a hit

Switch will have a strong launch but struggle with 3rd party support. All there will be left is Mario mario mario mario

Ps4 pro will remain the same with angry owners complaining about no supersampling

Scorpio will release and people will still hate microsoft.

Horizon will be praised by sony fans regardless of its shortcomings

Crackdown will suck after a week

Vita gets new color

VR begins to go the way of the dodo

God of War will be good for only 1 playthrough 7/10

Bloodborne 2 announced for 2019

Kojimas Death Stranding teaser for teaser gets released leading up to playstation experience

Gaf remains Gaf

B]Nintendo Switch[/B] - It will be a bonafide phenomenon at launch but will have the usual Nintendo hardware stock issues. Will be $279 base and $329 for the deluxe model. Mario Switch will be the standout game for the Switch in year 1. Unfortunately, the graphical power differences between Switch and the other consoles will cause lackluster 3rd party support by the Fall and sales will fall off significantly as the portable gaming crowd will stay with their phones and the console gaming crowd will gravitate towards the PS4/XB1. More successful than the Wii U, just no where near the Wii levels.

Scorpio - It will be a "success" in the same way that the Playstation Pro is a success. It will satisfy those looking for better performance, but since OG XB1 support needs to be there as well, it won't be the "generational" leap that some had hoped for. Will launch at $399 and $450 if you want 4k disc playback. Will struggle to find its footing with basically all Microsoft exclusives being offered now on PC.

Playstation 4/Pro - Will continue to sell the best, just not at PS2 levels. Playstation 4 Pro will take off around the launch of Horizon as they will heavily start pushing it then. Playstation 4/Pro will dominate early year sales as people either upgrade to the Pro for the better performance, or just jump in to consoles with the Pro over what will then be a massive performance difference between that and OG XB1.

Destiny 2 - This will be best selling game of the year and maybe ultimately the defining game of the generation. It will launch September-ish and will fulfill the massive potential that Destiny 1 somewhat squandered. it's just perfect storm in that it already has a fanatic fanbase and the "base" of something great is already there. Just needs to fulfill its potential which I think it will do well enough.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - My most anticipated game of 2017 and I'm hoping it's a marriage of the story aspects of ME1,characters of ME2 and the combat of ME3. Ultimately, I think it will review mostly favorably, but will be somewhat of a letdown after the long wait for its launch.

Horizon - Will be a graphical showcase for the Pro, but gameplay will prove shallower than much of us had hoped. Solid foundation, but just not the "must have" game many had hoped it would be.

Zelda - Surprisingly, disappointing after Mario lights the world on fire at launch. Going all Michael Damiani here, but feel comparisons between it and Horizon might plague it. Game will still be decent, but more on the level on Twilight Princess rather than Wind Waker.

Red Dead 2 - Delayed until April 2018.

Other Stuff:

- Pro, Scorpio and PC users heavily complaining of "nerfed" games because of OG consoles.
- Datacaps and net neutrality will become massive issues.
- Mobile gaming tactics will unfortunately expand more and more to console releases.
- 4k and HDR will bring many new people into gaming as these are just about the best way to showcase their new TV's.
- Hard to quantify this, but this will be the "best" year of this console generation as developers really hit their stride.

Hawk269

B]Nintendo Switch[/B] - It will be a bonafide phenomenon at launch but will have the usual Nintendo hardware stock issues. Will be $279 base and $329 for the deluxe model. Mario Switch will be the standout game for the Switch in year 1. Unfortunately, the graphical power differences between Switch and the other consoles will cause lackluster 3rd party support by the Fall and sales will fall off significantly as the portable gaming crowd will stay with their phones and the console gaming crowd will gravitate towards the PS4/XB1. More successful than the Wii U, just no where near the Wii levels.

Scorpio - It will be a "success" in the same way that the Playstation Pro is a success. It will satisfy those looking for better performance, but since OG XB1 support needs to be there as well, it won't be the "generational" leap that some had hoped for. Will launch at $399 and $450 if you want 4k disc playback. Will struggle to find its footing with basically all Microsoft exclusives being offered now on PC.

Playstation 4/Pro - Will continue to sell the best, just not at PS2 levels. Playstation 4 Pro will take off around the launch of Horizon as they will heavily start pushing it then. Playstation 4/Pro will dominate early year sales as people either upgrade to the Pro for the better performance, or just jump in to consoles with the Pro over what will then be a massive performance difference between that and OG XB1.

Destiny 2 - This will be best selling game of the year and maybe ultimately the defining game of the generation. It will launch September-ish and will fulfill the massive potential that Destiny 1 somewhat squandered. it's just perfect storm in that it already has a fanatic fanbase and the "base" of something great is already there. Just needs to fulfill its potential which I think it will do well enough.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - My most anticipated game of 2017 and I'm hoping it's a marriage of the story aspects of ME1,characters of ME2 and the combat of ME3. Ultimately, I think it will review mostly favorably, but will be somewhat of a letdown after the long wait for its launch.

Horizon - Will be a graphical showcase for the Pro, but gameplay will prove shallower than much of us had hoped. Solid foundation, but just not the "must have" game many had hoped it would be.

Zelda - Surprisingly, disappointing after Mario lights the world on fire at launch. Going all Michael Damiani here, but feel comparisons between it and Horizon might plague it. Game will still be decent, but more on the level on Twilight Princess rather than Wind Waker.

Red Dead 2 - Delayed until April 2018.

Other Stuff:

- Pro, Scorpio and PC users heavily complaining of "nerfed" games because of OG consoles.
- Datacaps and net neutrality will become massive issues.
- Mobile gaming tactics will unfortunately expand more and more to console releases.
- 4k and HDR will bring many new people into gaming as these are just about the best way to showcase their new TV's.
- Hard to quantify this, but this will be the "best" year of this console generation as developers really hit their stride.

Like your list, but the one I don't think is remotely even possible that Scorpio will have a 4k and non 4k blu ray version. Being that every Xbox One S has a 4k drive, I doubt they will do that. If anything, there will be a 500gb/1tb/2tb models with different prices. $399.99 base, $449.99 1tb, $499.99 2tb. Personally, I would say the highest end model has a SSHD instead of standard HDD.

Red dead 3 is rock stars current mush but I wonder if grand theft auto 6 will feature a satirical version of trump as a character

pip77

1. The Nintendo Switch will sell well due to small amounts being shipped out

2. RDR2 will actually release in Fall 2017.

3. Horizon Zero Dawn will sell well. Sales may explode if word comes out that the gameplay and story is very good. (I'll be buying it regardless)

4. God Of War will have a release date announced for Spring 2018.

5. Days Gone will be released in Fall 2017.

6. The Scorpio will be released in Nov 2017 at $399. First party game sales on the Scorpio won't be huge due the exclusivity being stretched out to Windows 10 PC.

7. PS4 Pro will have a price drop. Most likely be sold at $349 until Black Friday 2017.

8. Some big third party game will have marketing rights attached to the MS Scorpio.

9. 4K TVs will become more affordable.....therefore PS4 Pro and Scorpio sales will benefit from it.

10. MS may be the big winner in regards to announcements coming out of E3 2017

Edit: 11. Real gameplay footage of Death Stranding will be shown/demoed in late 2017

- Switch initially a success, then quickly dwindles
- Scorpio an incredible machine, but ultimately fails to connect with masses, niche enthusiast device
- Slim PS4 becomes dirt cheap, Pro moves to current Slim price by end of year
- Several quality updates on PS4

Lo-Volt

The Scorpio will probably do well enough to keep a hardcore group of Xbox gamers interested, and will do reasonably well in the U.S. I think they'll split the baby and price this at $449. Or, the Scorpio model you really want will cost more than $399, maybe using storage or bundling as a differentiator. Globally, it can't do anything to adjust Microsoft's market position, reputation or strategic problems. It also needs good first-party games to really show it off, but Microsoft's first-party line up seems less diverse this generation. But this seems like an especially dangerous prediction: we haven't really seen it yet!

The PS4 will still rule the world. We're entering the price-sensitive phase of the generation, and Sony has good prices, good boxes, good momentum and good software. The PS4 Pro? Sony will feel obligated to make some of those, sure, and it mandates software support so owners won't be totally bereft of enjoyment. But I suspect only first-party exclusives will really show it off. Without a good push and a reasonable return on investment, I'm not sure how good Pro modes on future games will necessarily be (some early examples left a lot to be desired). Sony should do some intense stewardship, or... are they planning to make this the standard premium box and keep the Slim as the real stripper model? That's what it could take to force the Pro to work in the market, beyond the niche case it is now.

I'm writing the PS VR off in 2017. It's a classic "peripheral we don't need to enjoy the majority of the platform" situation, I fear.

Horizon: Zero Dawn will look cool but have dumb clunky dialogue, like the last Killzone game I spit out and threw away. It'll sell fine, but I don't think it'll do gangbusters.

Switch: I'm so uncomfortable talking about it before the presentation, but okay. It's a much better concept than the Wii U, so it's already ahead of the game here. Early strategy, consistent messaging and good pricing must combine to make the key: it's either a fair seller or a really good seller based on this. The concept is clear enough that it has to do better than the Wii U. I suspect it won't (or can't) do 3DS or Wii numbers, but the faithful will feel more comfortable here since this seems like a better concept more effectively delivered. (Specs aside.) I think Wii U ports will actually do the Switch some good, too: there were good first-party games that can be resurrected to reach a larger potential audience. If there isn't a Smash Bros port at launch, send it all to a landfill anyway.

Top Bottom