• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

gnwaboyisq92.png

uxuwimjrtrx6.png

1. Gravity Rush Remastered ; I actually found this list pretty hard to organize. I haven't felt compelled to make a GOTY list since 2013, and even then I only made a top 5, and that says something about how I feel about most of my top 10 this year. So here we are, and here is my list, and here is my top pick of 2016- a PS4 remaster of a Vita game from 2012. WELP. Yeah, I know. I can feel you looking at me right now. "All the great new games and this is what you chose, breh?" The heart wants what it wants. See, I'm a simple man, and with Gravity Rush it's simple: This game is the Japanese developed, French comic art inspired, kawaii female superhero power fantasy I've always wanted my life to be. Wait what, hold on, let me start over: It's all about the gravity mechanics. Now having said that, of course the game is also charming as hell, and has a whimsical energy to it. Kat's a fun character, the world design and lore are interesting, the music is fantastic, and the character design is unique. But man, ultimately the gravity manipulation mechanic is the star of the show. When Kat's spirited animations combine with your spur of the moment traversal decisions, this all comes together to create scenes seemingly pulled out of a Studio Ghibli film. "Gravity Rush" is an apt title. The sensation of flying falling with style can be summed up no more succinctly than that. Playing with the mechanics in this game is a rush. It's the best traversal mechanic ever, and sometimes that one mechanic is all it takes. Thankfully there's a pretty good game wrapped around this thing too. Yes the limitations of its development as a Vita game are front and center, and Gravity Rush 2 will probably make this title feel pointless to even revisit, but WHATEVER, I'll save all of that for my 2017 GOTY post. For now, this is the game that gave me the most magic in 2016. All hail the Gravity Queen yaaaasssss.

tc8nwhv4loh7.png

ygg3qxyvlrh1.png

2. Stardew Valley ; Just to be clear, I consider this and the next spot to be 10/10 games. The only two games I played in 2016 that I think deserve such a score, actually. So in the end what put Stardew Valley ahead is the sheer amount of stuff happening in this game. We all love that classic line, "Quality over quantity", but when you're dealing with 2 titles of such high quality, such high execution, sometimes the game with more stuff wins out. And Stardew Valley has all the stuff. The best stuff, and the best things. Farming, animal upkeep, mining, crafting, relationships, fishing, seasonal events, magic, atmosphere, life lessons, garage can diving, and a stream of unique content and player/farm progression to keep you playing for dozens of hours. All of this housed in an incredibly charming pixel-art visual style, set to the tunes of a relaxing, boopin' ass soundtrack that makes the game feel like a warm blanket on a cold winter day after lying to your parents and skipping school. A sneaky little dose of nostalgia that carves its own path. On the surface you'll see a throwback 2D farming sim, but all it takes is a few hours of playtime to realize that you're in for one hell of a deceptively deep ride. A ride that wears its inspiration on its sleeve, but throws in a metric ton of quality-of-life improvements and details, then packages it up nice and tight for 2016. Hard to believe that one guy made and continues to work on this. And looka dat, I made an entire paragraph about Stardew without mentioning Harvest Moon or Animal Crossi- fffffffffffff

fsggodkl4pqw.png

9tndsotphpa4.png

3. Inside ; And here's the other 10/10 of the year. One of the most polished, most cohesive, most focused experiences I've ever had the pleasure of playing. You go down the list of indie game clichés and Inside hits em all: Minimalist and monochrome visual style, minimalist and ambiguous storytelling, 2D platformer with an unnerving atmosphere. It's basically The Indie Cinematic Platformer™, sure. But on the other hand, this is THE Indie Cinematic Platformer. The artstyle isn't simply minimal and monochrome, it's a striking screenshot factory of meticulously placed dark tones, light shafts, shadows, and shapes across a fluidly shifting number of 2.5D visual planes. It's not simply minimal and ambiguous storytelling, it's a laser focused adventure that ramps, and ramps, and ramps to one of the most thrilling and strange game climaxes you'll ever see. It's not just an unnerving cinematic platformer, it's a cavernous, brooding, industrial mystery box that unfolds around you with a level of assuredness and polish we see once or twice a generation. Inside is not just one thing, it's the sum of all of these extraordinarily executed parts. No the platforming isn't ball breaking and precise like a Super Meat Boy, or rhythmic and hyperactive like a Rayman Legends, but it's some of the most satisfyingly weighty looking and feeling animations you can get your hands on, and that sensation is one which permeates Inside. This is a tactile game. Every jump, every step, every stumble, every grab, every death, every push, every roll, every splash, every stretch, every squash, every bass blasting shockwave- you can feel it. The animations, the sound design, and the perfectly timed adrenaline pumping moments create a physicality that grounds, supports, and enhances every strange turn the game's lightly sketched but finely detailed narrative takes. A gritty and grotesque adventure that handles everything it does with an almost ironic grace. It took 6 years for Playdead to return after Limbo, and every minute of this weird short story is dripping with the craftsmanship that time afforded them.

vhq7ezrwfpqm.png

vbe5r59xiq50.png

4. DOOM ; I think this is the clear consensus surprise of the year, and for good reason. Who saw this coming? No dear reader, you did not. Don't lie to yourself, don't lie to me. This thing should not exist. Not in 2016 anyway. Not with this level design, not with this music, not with these boss battles. DOOM is a straight Tony Montana snort of nose candy in a heavy metal bar bathroom right before you clean yourself off in the mirror, grab your metal side chick, and mosh pit until you wake up in the emergency room. Then you do it again, but this time you don't black out. And again, but with more coke and more people in the audience. And again, while setting the bar on fire. Eventually, you're so coked out of your mind, with so many satanic symbols swirling around you, with so many bodies strewn about your immediate area that the band on stage stops playing, and YOU become the star. You're conducting the show. Not the demons, not the scientists, not even the game devs. You are the lead singer, Mick Gordon is your entire band, running furiously from synth machine to synth machine mashing buttons while juggling 6 guitars. DOOM is a concert of brutality. Hellish, self aware, high-speed brutality. But focusing on the combat alone does a disservice to how well the rest of this event is put together. Level design is detailed and winding, provide lots of little pieces of lore and easter egg gags around almost every corner. The plot is thin, but executed with a sense of energy, spearheaded by Doombro's utter dismissal of anything resembling exposition, and the game's clever willingness to feed his (and your) need to kill demons. On top of ALL of this, id Tech 6 is honestly kind of a miracle. 60fps on consoles with big levels, and lots of high quality effects and post processing happening constantly, while bunny hopping around equally dynamic and highly detailed enemies. This game has no right to look as good as it does while also performing as well as it does. If I had to nitpick, I feel like the game hit a ceiling in terms of scenario design early on, and instead of risking a misstep, id Software chose to hold steady with the closed-off combat bowls, sort of like a character action take on shooters. Ultimately it means that DOOM only really attacks what it does at one speed, and sticks to it all the way. Not a bad quality, maybe even commendable, but I think they can stretch their legs in a sequel. In any case, if you're looking for concentrated sensory overload, play DOOM. Just be prepared to use your entire country's bandwidth for dem patches.

kzwlwogchoje.png

ad4gfhllfq8m.png

5. Titanfall 2 ; Where do I even begin with Titanfall 2? Talk about a strange hype/release cycle. Let's just get it out of the way now: Map design hurts the MP in this game. There. I said it, we all know it, everything's out in the open now. At best you can hope to get one of the 2 good maps currently in the game, a handful of nondescript/inoffensive maps, or roll the dice with 3 absolutely terrible ones that the game KEEPS PUTTING YOU ON OVER AND OVER RESPAWN WHY. But then there are the mechanics. Oh mah gawd these mechanics. Titanfall 2 might be the best feeling FPS on a controller ever. EVER. Aiming, parkour, shooting feedback, SLIDING, momentum, one handed sprinting Alternator kills, the grappling hook, the Titans, on, and on, and on, and on. Absolute butter. I've frequently gone into a trance while playing the MP modes in this game just because the controls feel like a natural extension of my brain. I never have to fight with button inputs or awkward feeling/looking movements. Lastly, in a shocking turn of events, we have the campaign. A campaign which feels slightly, kinda, maybe like the Half Life 3 we'll never get because Valve doesn't make games anymore yes I said it fight me. A campaign that makes full use of all of your Titan abilities and player agility. A campaign that manages to forge a bond between protagonists Vanilla McBlankslate and your Titan, BT-7274, all while creating this weird James Cameron gone Mega Man militaristic anime universe around you. A campaign that throws in some of the more impressive level design and level gimmicks in recent shooter history with such a deft hand that those sections are over well before any monotony can set in. A campaign that genuinely leaves you wanting more. Titanfall 2 makes some mistakes, mostly on the MP side, but as a package it's still a very fun, very energetic game that guarantees some kind of highlight every time you play it.

lbkpjaz16rwc.png

nnbuiwy30qsw.png

6. Watch_Dogs 2 ; A Ubisoft open world game on my top 10, whoa. Well truthfully, I'm not a Ubisoft hater. I've probably put more time into Ubisoft games this gen than any other dev. They don't always get it right, but I like open world games, they have great animations, and they're actually pushing some really interesting niche games on the multiplayer front. They're ok with me, I hope they don't get bought out and gutted. Anyway, back to Watch_Dogs 2. Yep, this game's great. Well, not the driving, and not the shooting, and not really the stealth AI either. Why I love this game, and why I poured in the quickest 80 hours of any game this year, is the open world. I truly think that the San Franciso Ubisoft created in Watch_Dogs 2 is a step up for the genre. It feels like the culmination of years of iteration… mostly because it is. As you walk around and see the incredible number of scripted pedestrian interactions, or watch the game's dynamic AI and faction systems bounce off of each other, or see how much detail is put into every single area of the map, you start to get this mental image of all these Ubisoft open world games forming a staircase on which Watch_Dogs 2 climbs, to sit atop a mountain of shared and evolving tech. Everything they've done since Assassin's Creed 1 coalescing here, 9 years later. It's an interesting, highly active world to walk around in, and the game that made me laugh the most this year from outright random nonsense. On the mechanics side, your hacking abilities have also grown and become more granular- special shout out to the Police Arrest and Gang Hit abilities, which are basically hotkeys for an instant urban warzone. The world's great, the characters are actually pretty ok most of the time, the game is much more self aware, there's a legitimately well done "Black guys in Silicon Valley" mission, and the seamless online features are spontaneous comedy. Probably the most flawed game on my list (the narrative occasionally falls back to Ubi's worst tendencies), but one I had a blast with, and an open world I will use alongside GTAV's Los Santos as the bar for the genre.

xndxsx7rhrbp.png

w8iikyidlpvh.png

7. Dishonored 2 ; Dishonored 2 is a great GOTY list role player. That sounds kind of dismissive, but I mean it in a good way. It's a game that tries really hard to be good at what it knows it's good at: Immersive sim stealth-action. The characters aren't great, the storytelling isn't great, the presentation/game structure isn't pushing boundaries, and the plot isn't anything new, but the gameplay systems, level design, and lore are exceedingly strong. Mechanics remain tight and punchy, and there are a million and a half ways to go about most objectives, aided in no small part by level design that's not only as strong as the first game, but maybe even stronger this time around, featuring at least 2 of the best levels in 2016. Art design is bursting at the seams as well, with every single street and room feeling not only lived in, but also modeled with an insane eye for lavish details and lighting setups. Moving through this game feels like moving through a film you know is going to win Best Production Design. Except, y'know, while hatching your diabolical supernatural assassination scheme. Or not. Because it's Dishonored and you don't have to kill anyone. I love the smell of player agency in the morning. This is a very high quality stealth game, I just wish it was pushing harder with its story presentation and structure so that I could bump it up a few spots.

ilthjduguona.png

okbz83tiloj1.png

8. Hitman ; And in the second part of the stealth sandbox back-to-back is the TRIUMPHANT return of Hitman. Seriously, what a comeback for this series after the highly questionable Hitman Absolution. This game is a fantastic clockwork puzzle of social stealth and assassination opportunities, where level exploration and toying with AI provides some of the most rewarding experimentation you can find in gaming this year, with level layouts and art that match or surpasses even the most complex of Blood Money maps. So why isn't this higher than #8? Well, two very personal reasons. First, I'm not acclimated to episodic release strategy. I will admit it works brilliantly with Hitman, especially with how dense the maps are and the contracts IO Interactive continually added, but strictly speaking for myself, it's hard to remain as excited for a singleplayer experience when it's delivered in episodic chunks. Those highs are more spread out and don't stick with me as much. Secondly, and more importantly, they didn't bring back Jesper Kyd for the soundtrack, again. I assure you that Hitman 2016 with a Jesper Kyd soundtrack would be in my top 5. There's just this nagging voice in the back of my head that pops up every time one of the music cues in Hitman plays telling me that it could be so much more. Is that petty? Y'know what, don't even answer. Anyway, Hitman's great and I'm looking forward to season 2.

voj6kbjllra7.png

t8d4yohjer0w.png

9. Rise of The Tomb Raider ; Simply put: Rise of The Tomb Raider provided the third person action/adventure popcorn thrills I look for a few times each year. While this installment still doesn't get back to the core focus on tombs I'd like the series to, the game feigns puzzle solving a bit more this time out to the point that I wasn't actively annoyed by the tombs, and actually even enjoyed a few of them, at least for their scale and visual design. The strongest aspect of the first title remains intact here- a solid sense of progression to the way you acquire gear and how your tasks get a little more layered as the game moves along and you circle back to unearth new areas. Unfortunately, Lara's still a strangely annoying character, and the writing/performances aren't anywhere near the quality of that, uh, *ahem*, other third person action/adventure game, but at least Crystal Dynamics got Lara into Murderess Mode a lot faster, getting right to the "predator stealth" fairly early on in the campaign. So yeah, it's derivative, filled with awkward writing, and there's a bit of a pacing lull in the final stretch, but it satisfied my basic human need to action and/or adventure in the third person perspective while dispatching an army of faceless mercs in beautifully rendered locales.

sslk3914sort.jpg

uixwmnz45o6q.png

10. Oxenfree ; I felt like I had to reserve a spot on my list for one of the 2 walk & talk narrative adventure games I really enjoyed this year, and Oxenfree won out ever so slightly, if only for the group conversations, and the clever use of New Game+ to deepen an already fascinating supernatural thriller. This is probably the new standard in games for the cadence of real time dialogue choices and balancing of multi-person conversations. It's the first time I felt the rhythm of dialogue and dialogue choices fit within the forward momentum of what was happening on screen. Interruptions and timed choices felt right. Wavering on an answer at the wrong moment and getting a poor outcome felt right. The game makes you an active participant, and the cast of 80s teen movie tropes around you respond quickly to your action or inaction. Great soundtrack too. I'm tip toeing around the plot details because that's literally the game and I don't want to give anything away. I went in nearly completely blind and had fun putting it together.

Honorable Mentions

x. Dirt Rally ; One of the most satisfying racing games I've ever played, and would've made my list had I not hit the limits of my skill without the motivation to push beyond that point. Great, great game, and I hope to see Codemasters blow it open with a sequel.

x. Firewatch ; The other walk & talk narrative adventure I liked. Great atmosphere, great dialogue, great performances, and a beautiful art style. Yeah the ending sort of deflates all that tension, and pulls the rug out from your expectations of where the game was going, but eventually you come to realize that was the point. Still can't decide if it's a ballsy ending, or just oddly flat and divisive. Either way, I liked it and I'm still thinking about it nearly a year later. Only reason it's an honorable mention is, like I said above, Oxenfree had a more interesting take on dialogue.

x. Ratchet and Clank ; Very, very, very rock solid reboot to a fun franchise, featuring some staggeringly great animations and visuals. I hope to see Insomniac one day take R&C back to the scale they were playing with in A Crack In Time, but until then this is a fun slice of comfort food.

Pretty good year. I was going to wait a few more weeks to try and squeeze in some last minute games I didn't get to, such as The Last Guardian, but I don't really feel like playing it right now, or rushing through it. I'll get to it sometime in the next decade before Ueda's next game. On to this glorious 2017 in vidyagames.

trebbble

1. Inside ; A masterpiece. The attention to detail, polish and implied, subversive story captivated me in a way that really surprised me.
2. The Last Guardian ; An incredible emotional journey and an interesting example of controls as metaphor.
3. Hyper Light Drifter ; A beautiful psychadelic spiritual successor to Link to the Past with one of the best soundtracks in years that plays as good as it looks and sounds.
5. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; Hilarious, and fun to pick up and play in large or small doses - perfect for a game on the go.
4. Titanfall 2 ; Sublime controls, incredible single player and 'just one more' round of multiplayer.
7. XCOM2 ; A refined take on the previous title, even with the divisive addition of timers, which I thought added a great element of tension.
6. Overwatch ; A game that's just fun - If I played more multiplayer games, this would probably be nearer to the top of the list.
8. Shadow Tactics ; A game that came out of nowhere for me, and a must play for strategy fans.
9. The Witness ; A spiritual successor to Myst and other adventure games with an incredible aesthetic and puzzle design.
10. Doom ; A near perfect successor to the original - especially with the addition of multiplayer bots - I just haven't finished it yet.

Pachimari

1. Pokémon Go ; Incredibly addicting and a game I'm still playing and paying for to this day.
2. Overwatch ; This is really something special, not only due to the varied heroes but also the build-up lore.
3. Final Fantasy XV ; Took me quite by surprise. The gameplay mechanics and combat are really satisfying.
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition ; First time I've ever liked and been captivated by a game in this series.
5. FIFA 17 ; Of course FIFA is what I've spent most of my time on during the year.

x. Firewatch
x. Titanfall 2
x. Hitman
x. Uncharted 4
x. Rise of the Tomb Raider
x. Stardew Valley
x. Inside
x. Oxenfree
x. Super Mario Run

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
McCree is the most netwrecker ass netwrecker character in a game this year and not even a mention.

smh

To be fair, I'm curious too. It's not even an honorable mention and it seems like the kind of game you'd be into based on your list.

I uhhhh... I have some issues with UC4 that I've been over in a few of those threads. Mostly boils down to pacing, as the game has an inordinate amount of traversal sections while cutting the amount of enemies basically in half, as well as toning down the sustained high energy moments in general. It feels like a game where the engine is revving but the car never gets into gear. Except for that one big set-piece in Chapter 11, I guess, but that was more like a random backfire. I appreciate the writing and character work in the game, but I didn't go into UC4 looking for a drama. Did some soul searching last year and came to the realization that the only game I really love in the series is Uncharted 2.

McCree is the most netwrecker ass netwrecker character in a game this year and not even a mention.

smh

Yeah but then I'd have to play Overwatch, and not a single person I know who plays Overwatch leaves an Overwatch session happy.

Well, it seems I have been mostly playing old games this year so I don't have much to offer here.

1. Persona 5 ; This is such a great turn from P4. Stylish as all hell, interesting boss fights, dungeons are miles ahead. Haven't finished yet but this is far and away my GotY.

2. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; Localization grumbles aside, this game is fun as fuck. I'm just a sucker for what this game was selling. Jpop dual attacks were awesome all the time. Only grumble would be that fights took forever with long sessions of overkill.

3. Etrian Odyssey V ; Lots of QoL improvements over IV and luckily not as full as aggravating bullshit as Untold. Great addition to the series.

4. Dragon Quest VII ; 3DS was my first opportunity to play this one and I'm only sad it took so long to get to it.

I uhhhh... I have some issues with UC4 that I've been over in a few of those threads. Mostly boils down to pacing, as the game has an inordinate amount of traversal sections while cutting the amount of enemies basically in half, as well as toning down the sustained high energy moments in general. It feels like a game where the engine is revving but the car never gets into gear. Except for that one big set-piece in Chapter 11, I guess, but that was more like a random backfire. I appreciate the writing and character work in the game, but I didn't go into UC4 looking for a drama. Did some soul searching last year and came to the realization that the only game I really love in the series is Uncharted 2.

Oh, OK. Cool...fair enough. I had issues with the pacing as well, just nowhere near enough to take the game from my Top 10. I would have preferred less traversal and more high octane moments too...and more gunplay in general. Uncharted 4 is a notch below Uncharted 2 IMO. Though The Last of Us is my favorite Naughty Dog game. It's a masterpiece and instant classic.

jdstorm

Banned
1. Pokemon Go; this was more then a game, it was a cultural phenomenon. June was filled with strangers congregating around lure spots and crazy stories all over the internet. This game briefly redefined what gaming and posibly even living could be with its aproach to AR gaming.

2. Titanfall 2 ; A single player game thats a love letter to Mirrors Edge, Vanquish, and the bygone era of setpiece hooters with fundamental gameplay mechanics. If a game ever fit my personal video game likes to a T it would probably be this one.

3. Steep; I've never seen a quality game be destroyed by a consumerbase for not being what they wished it was quite like Steep. Its not SSX, but its a great sandbox game just to snowboard and cruise around in.

4. Ratchet and Clank; A fun throwback platformer. A joy to play

5. Forza Horizon 3; a refinement on an impressive formula

6. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst; While not the best Mirrors Edge inspired game to be released this year (that was Titanfall 2) catalyst brings back most of what was great about the first game. Even if it wasnt the best at showcasing it.

7.Overwatch; It was fun as far as multiplayer shooters go, but didnt have much substance beyond running around the same maps over and over again.

8.Trackmania Turbo; Filled my need to get repetitively chase time trial scores and try and achieve a perfect run normally filled by 2D platformers

9. No Mans Sky; Wandering about space is ok fun. But what truely transformed this game for me was the GAF screenshot thread. No Mans Sky in 8K is a mindblowing experience.

10. Tokyo Mirrage Sessions #FE; I have no idea why this game works, but somehow Persona Fire Emblum and J-pop stardom come together in this quirky fun Wii U game.

Honerable Mentions
X Final Fantasy XV, Watch Dogs 2, The Last Guardian. - all would probably be in tbe top 10 had i played them this year

X Rise of the Tomb Raider - Released 2015 so should be ineligible

Hulohot

Neo Member
1. Killing Floor 2 ; Worried about changes, was even better than the original which was my favourite shooter. So much fun levelling the skills, the gunplay is impactful and addictive, in fact the best gunplay I've experienced. Many hours logged on its first 12 maps and greatly looking forward to the influx of free content to come.

2. Ark: Survival Evolved ; Spent every day last week on it with my girlfriend. Highs and lows, from our boat fortress being destroyed by packs of allosaurus an dino pets being killed but hugely fun and memorable.

3. Uncharted 4 ; A more or less perfect end to one of my favourite series and characters.

4. Let it Die ; Had no expectations, usually delete these games fast but still going strong. Tricky and deep, still with a long way to go. The best Suda 51 game, glad I gave it a real chance.

5. Earth Defense Force 4.1 ; Finally better performance on console! Can't fault the game at all, so much fun and so many hours lost to tactical planning, farming weapons and health and trying to finish each level on Inferno, with two great very difficult DLC packs.

6. Hitman ; Was worried about the structure of its release but it not only worked, it actually suits the type of game this is. Back to the quality of Blood Money in every way and with the constant new elusive targets, the developers have succeeded in nearly every way.

7. The Last Guardian ; Haven't finished it yet, but it is something special to be sure. Haven't witnessed a relationship like this in a game before and I have hopes for the ending.

8. Doom ; Pure exhilarating fun. A joy to play and satisfyingly challenging.

9. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; Not quite as good as Human Revolution but still Deus Ex and still top of its game for the exploration shooter genre.

10. Dishonoured 2 ; Haven't played much yet hence the lower rating on the list, but love what I have played and fond memories of the first earn it my final spot.

X. Battlefield 1 ; Quality, hugely fun, chaotic and addictive.

X. Dark Souls 3 ; Need I say more ? Misses the list due to the impossible task of beating Bloodborne.

X. Mount and Blade Warband ; Came out of nowhere on PS4, had no idea it was getting a port. Again many hours lost and a game that is truly unique.

1. Overwatch ; No game took over my life quite as much as Overwatch did this year. It's probably been years since a game has. Even if I didn't get to sit down and play it as much as I'd like (I still haven't hit level 100 for a first time) the community of players, writers, and artists around the game was all-consuming. It will probably continue to be a fixture of my gaming habits permanently, the same way things like Goldeneye, Smash Bros, and Street Fighter just become facts of life for many people.

2. Hitman ; An unbelievably dense and layered puzzle game. I struggle to think of any other games this year - maybe ever - that match the sheer level of detail and interactivity this game offers in its first season.

3. DOOM ; A shooter campaign that reminded me why I like shooters so much. It's exhilarating and violent, but it's also challenging and clever. I haven't felt this engaged with a single-player shooter in a long time. The multiplayer is take-it-or-leave-it for me, but the campaign is so good (and content-rich) that I barely care.

4. Dark Souls III ; A fitting end for the series. As always, I adore the action and exploration, but I think there's an overlooked meta-story about the series coming to an end here that I hugely appreciate.

5. Civilization VI ; Finally, a Civilization game that does everything I expect from a Civ game out of the box. No expansion required for religion, etc etc. It's a gorgeous package and the most approachable Civ yet.

6. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero ; Not quite as perfect as Pirate's Curse, but still a wonderfully engaging platformer with sharp visuals and a charming, cheeky sense of humor.

7. Anatomy ; One of the most unsettling horror games I've ever played. It manages to use the VHS/analogue aesthetic without feeling rote.

8. Reigns ; A devilishly clever puzzle game that distills medieval (well, medieval fantasy) politics into a Tinder-esque app.

9. Thumper ; Finally, a rhythm game without any fucking Kings of Leon songs or anything like that.

10. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Aside from Hitman, no other game this year presented quite as densely detailed a world to explore. While the main story beats fell flat for me, the side-stories and world building discovered by exploring Prague were fantastic.

flozuki

1. Uncharted 4 ; I love the atmosphere, most of the settings and of course the characters. Despite some problems with the pacing Uncharted 4 is a damn fine Adventure that also offers a cool multiplayer that I played a lot in 2016.

2. Dark Souls 3 ; Amazing atmosphere as always in Souls games and a lot of amazing boss battles. It was pretty close between Dark Souls 3 and Uncharted 4 but since I liked Bloodborne a little bit more regarding boss battles and world design this year From has to be ok with the second place in my list. Especially the crop section was such a cool experience. Often I was on tour with other players and still we were smashed by a single Phantom. But it was amazing to see some builds that destroyed me and my "entourage" easily^^

3. The Last Guardian ; After all these years Ueda really delivers an atmospheric masterpiece. The enticing mystical world and the interaction with Trico were absolute highlights in 2016 for me.

4. Titanfall 2 ; A multiplayer that plays as good and fluid as I expect from Titanfall. A campaign that surprised me in a positive way regarding some game mechanics and atmosphere. All without any technical flaws. This is THE shooter of the year 2016.

5. Gears of War 4 ; Gears of War is back on track with a good campaign, really good gameplay mechanics, new horde mode and an amazing coop experience. Hopefully we will see Marcus again as soon as possible!

6. Inside ; Tremendous atmosphere paired with good gameplay, wonderful level design and really good pacing.

7. Firewatch ; The storytelling and wonderful visuals in Firewatch kept me and two friends playing the game from start to finish in one session. This is rare these days and I especially enjoyed all the conspiracies we thought the games story will reveal at the end. We all were wrong but the but the journey is the reward.

8. Arkham VR ; Arkham VR is short but offers quite a few outstanding moments that aren´t possible without VR. From the feeling to stand in an alley and inspect a crime scene to checking out the bat cave or have a really close (and I mean reeeeeallly close) and terrifying encounter with some of the most famous and creepy DC villains - this experience is something that hopefully will get a follow up in the near future.

9. Blood and Wine ; With a little bit more time Blood and Wine might have been my game of the year. Unfortunately I wasn´t able to finish the second DLC of Witcher 3 in time for our voting but what I have seen for now already guarantees Geralts final adventure a spot in my personal Top 10. Amazing atmosphere, vistas, enemy encounters and a length that puts a lot of full game releases to shame. If Blood and Wine keeps the quality level of the first few hours this will be an amazing achievement that other developers should take notice of in the future when adding content to their game.

10. Infinite Warfare ; I was surprised by the latest COD game. While I didn´t really enjoy the past campaigns of COD (especially Black Ops 3) this time Infinity Ward delivered some amazing designs and set pieces, a solid story and especially in the first few levels some elements of nature and surroundings I have never seen before realized in a game like it was one here.

Honorable Mentions
x. Bound (VR) ; Bound really is a game that improves thanks to the implementation of VR. You can look at what you want and be part of the world that often reminded me to movies like "The Cell" or "The Fall".

x. Dishonored 2 ; Dishonored 2 strengths are the atmospheric levels that invite players to play each mission multiple times.

x. Abzu ; I enjoyed Abzu for its colorful worlds. With its short playtime it was ideal to relax and dream after finishing work.

x. Deus Ex ; A densely and detailed designed world. Unfortunately the ending was really underwhelming and I enjoyed the conspiracies some Gaffers detected and wrote about much more than how they were pointed to in the game.

x. Doom ; From a technical perspective it is ridiculously good what ID delivered with Doom. Amazing lightning, hordes of enemies and still 60fps? Kudos!

x. Final Fantasy XV ; "Could that be the dress we read about in the papers?" Some of the dialogues in Final Fantasy XV are hilarious and I hope with future updates we will get more bits of the main (and side) story on a similar level.

1. Forza Horizon 3 ; quite simply the greatest driving game created. Great selection of vehicles and a vast open world.. And most of all FUN.

2. Dead Rising 4 ; a real end of year surprise for me, didn't like the original due to the time limits which this gets rid of, gives you a chance to mess about and again, a game which is simply FUN.

3. Quantum Break ; wasn't sure about this pre release, didn't think the live action segments would hold up and while short, I couldn't put it down for the time I was playing it. Loves the characters and story. Hopefully a sequel will be on its way.

4. Fifa 17 ; it's earned its place simply on the amount of hours I've put into it. A great pick up and play game and something me and my seven year old son can play together.

5. Life is Strange ; not a person for episodic games but I really enjoyed the world and characters created here. Bought it in the January sales and was pleasantly surprised.

6. Prison Architect ; bought in early access and a game which took me back to my younger days playing Sim City type games. A nice change of scenery and surprisingly deep.

7. Gears of War 4 ; Enjoyed the campaign and looked stunning at times. Multiplayer alone gets it into my top ten.

8. Just Cause 3 ; I was advised not to pick this up on xboxone due to the poor frame rare, but really enjoyed the carnage and silliness the game provided.

9. Call of Duty ; Infinite Warfare ; another year, another CoD. However, I think that by skipping the last few iterations meant I enjoyed this more.

10. Mafia 3 ; loved the setting and the story, game play let it down slightly.

Honorable Mention

x. Football Manager Mobile 2017 ; a staple on my daily commute and an absolute steal for the same cost as my lunch. Many, many hours put into it, just like it's predecessor.

mdf/markus

Neo Member
1. Dark Souls 3 ; Easily the game I've felt most invested in during the year.
Bloodborne introduced me to From's formula & Dark Souls 3 instantly clicked with me.
Gameplay-wise this one feels like a definitive version of the subgenre the series defines.

2. The Witness ; Jonathan Blow has balls.
The Witness is somehow completely disconnected from mainstream game design in so many ways.
And within its puzzling microcosm the game makes sense in all of its layers.
Hell, it even manages to introduce the deepest moment of gaming epiphany in years, just by drawing lines.

3. DOOM ; Speaking of balls and hell.
This just feels good. Everything in DOOM feels good.
The gameplay simply flows while you try to reach hidden passages in its brilliantly crafted levels.
Plus - remember the touch of taking down multiple bots in Quake or Unreal Tournament?
DOOM remembers.

4. Inside ; I guess there is no game in my list as polished as Inside.
Every little detail in this platformer is placed on porpuse.
Every word I write about its disturbing world is too much.
Inside is one of those games I want others to experience.

5. Overwatch ; A few weeks ago Kyle Bosman said that he respects Overwatch more for what it is than he loves playing it.
I kinda feel the same because team-based competitive games aren't really my thing to be honest.
But man, those characters have more personality than I could ever have imagined for a multiplayer shooter.

6. Tyranny ; I'm just a sucker for Obsidian's writing and their ambition to create fleshed out fantasy worlds.
Critics might say Tyranny doesn't have Pillars of Eternity's scale, and they are not wrong.
But I love its focused way of telling an original story from a truly unusual perspective.

7. Firewatch ; Let's be real. Even in high budget videogames voice actors sure do a great job, but in most cases they still sound videogamey.
The chemistry between Cissy Jones and Rich Sommer was an eye opener to me on how this medium could improve on virtual social interactions.
And I'm more than curious with what Campo Santo is going to come up next.

8. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; I really do appreciate how much work CDPR must have put in creating Geralt's final chapter.
They surely ended the series on a high note, delivering one of the most complete packages in RPGs history.
Personally I enjoyed the cast & writing in Hearts of Stone a little bit more than in Blood and Wine.

9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; In its best moments I'll remember Mankind Divided for having some really smart level design combined with classic Deus Ex gameplay that really makes you want to explore all the different ways to approach a mission.
Unfortunately I must say that I feel kinda disconnected from the game's universe and characters.
By today's standards I somehow have the impression that Deus Ex takes itself a bit too serious while presenting a mostly mediocore plot.

10. XCOM 2 ; Firaxis sure managed to refine a good bunch of XCOM's gameplay elements and I appreciate the customization options in the game.
It's the screnario I'm not really digging.
I can relate more to Enemy Unknown's storytelling and progression than to XCOM 2's guerrilla warfare.

x. Dishonored 2 ; Having not yet finished my trip to Karnaca, I can already say that it would probably place somewhere around #5 on my list, I guess.
From what I've seen so far, in most aspects of world building and gameplay it nails things better than Mankind Divided, if you want to compare those two.
I'm only ~ halfway through the campaign and most likely won't be able to finish it until the end of the month, therefore the Honorable Mention.

Rush_Khan

I will edit this post once I finish The Last Guardian.

2016 has probably been the best year for gaming in my life. I can't remember a year as good since 2008. I played so many quality titles this year that some games I consider good didn't even make my list. My most hyped game ever is nowhere to be seen on this list, a game I waited 10 whole years for repaid my patience, and a free to play mobile app finally got me to go outside. It's a shame all these games really drained my wallet (even though 2016 was the year I got my first job!) but it sure was worth it.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; One of the best games I have ever played. Ever since it was announced as Versus XIII I had a feeling this would be a great game. Even with all of the changes the game went through during development, I still felt it turned out perfect. Everything from the combat, to the story, to the music, everything just felt so perfect. I've never felt like this with a game since Kingdom Hearts II. Sure, it's obvious things were cut and they had to rush some parts, but, with the exception of one chapter, every chapter is executed to the highest standards I've ever seen in gaming. Still not sure about the ending, but I got really emotional during this game and near the end, and felt something I haven't felt since Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (before that was Final Fantasy X). I'm glad I got to play this game. This year has seen some amazing games but, for me, Final Fantasy XV is my game of the year.

+ Excellent combat, music, story, and world
+ Fantastic cast of characters with lots to say
- One chapter in the game completely ruins the pacing
- Ending is quite polarising

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A fantastic game filled with many exciting moments and a great way to end Nathan Drake's story. Feels less happy-go-lucky than the previous entries which felt weird, but the execution was still excellent. The little details that occur in the game are unmatched in any other game. The multiplayer is disappointing, especially coming from Uncharted 3, but the single player is fantastic.

+ Excellent single-player campaign with the perfect ending
+ A technical masterpiece and graphical powerhouse
- Disappointing multiplayer with no splitscreen
- Incredibly slow walking sections that kill the pacing

3. Dark Souls III ; While not as strong as previous entries of From Software's Souls series and Bloodborne, that by no means makes it a poor game. In fact, it remains one of the best games of the year, which says a lot about the Souls games and Bloodborne. Dark Souls III has fantastic combat, great lore and some exciting PvP elements. Plenty of content and lots of references to the original Dark Souls which was great to see. It didn't invoke the same feelings of amazement as Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but it's definitely better than Dark Souls II.

+ Compelling world to explore with plenty of nostalgia
+ Some of the best bosses in the series
- Starts to feel repetitive near the end of the game
- Combat feels slow after coming from Bloodborne

4. Pokemon Sun and Moon ; One of the best Pokemon games of recent memory. The last three generations felt no different to previous generations, and I was beginning to feel fatigue over the series with ORAS being the first main games I never bought, but this new generation was really good. Plenty of new mechanics, interesting new Pokemon, and a overhaul to the series formulae make Sun and Moon a great way to reinvogorate the series. The story is also great. Not as great as Black and White, but still a whole lot better than X and Y.

+ Story and Island Challenges are executed perfectly
+ New legendaries and Ultra Beasts are a great addition
- S.O.S battles are very annoying
- Side features like Pokemon Refresh and PokePelago are stupid

5. Ratchet and Clank ; One of the best reboots I have ever played - that's not really saying much but Ratchet and Clank is an amazing experience and just pure fun. I didn't expect the game to be as good as it was, but it was a blast from start to finish.

+ Pure fun and well-paced
+ Fantastic art design
- Clank puzzles are too easy
- Main story is quite short

6. I am Setsuna ; I really enjoyed this game. It's an excellent homage to past JRPGs. It really feels like a true spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger, one of my favourite games of all time, and does a good job of living up to its name. It's just a shame that the ending is so, so bad, that it pretty much ruins the whole game. Still, it's the developer who decides how it ends, and I'm glad to have played this game.

+ Excellent battle mechanics, similar to Chrono Trigger
+ Features the best soundtrack of the year
- Bland overworld with nothing but snow
- Disappointing ending

7. The Witness ; A fantastic puzzle game that really made me think. Not as mind-blowing as Braid, but still a lot of satisfaction to be gained from solving its interesting puzzles. Without spoiling anything, discovering some of the "larger" puzzles is an incredible feeling, something which will probably never be done in another puzzle game. However, the puzzles do begin to feel really repetitive after a while, and after the ending, I felt no interest in returning to complete all of the puzzles.

+ Fantastic puzzle designs in many ways
+ An incredible open world design
- Begins to feel repetitive after a while
- Some puzzles really are impossible, I'm convinced

8. Watch Dogs 2 ; A fun open-world hacking game. I enjoyed it because its main focus was on hacking and nothing else. I pretty much played 99% of the game without using weapons which was awesome. The game did feel like it was dragging towards the end and could've been slightly shorter, and the ending is incredibly disappointing as well which was a shame because I was really looking forward to it. But still, the game is a lot better than the original and features one of the most interesting cast of characters in a video game.

+ Great open world where almost anything can be hacked
+ Excellent cast of interesting characters
- Terrible shooting and driving mechanics
- Boring, abrupt ending

9. INSIDE ; A worthy spiritual successor to Limbo. Some puzzles were great, but most of them were simple to solve as they are very reminiscent to Limbo and other puzzle platformer games, I genuinely can't remember a puzzle which I struggled on.

+ A variety of puzzles with different mechanics
+ Eerie atmosphere that keeps you on your toes
- Most of the puzzles are too easy
- Boring, emotionless ending

10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 ; The Story mode was quite weak in my opinion, and the use of still cutscenes gives the feeling of a rushed product, but the boss battles live up to the franchise's standards and the combat is as good as ever.

+ Great fighting mechanics
+ Large cast of unique characters to play as
- Disappointing story mode which feels rushed
- Adventure and online modes are terrible

Honourable Mentions:

x. Star Fox Zero ; Decent co-op mode despite the lack of any multiplayer.

x. Pokemon Go ; I don't really consider this a good game at all, but as an experience, it is unlike anything I have played before. Truly something that changed the world for a few months and just had to be experienced during the summer.

x. The Last Guardian ; Haven't finished it yet. After I finish it, I will probably add it to the list as it is so good so far (despite attrocious camera and movement controls not mention the AI is really stupid).

1. Pokemon Go - this was more then a game, it was a cultural phenomenon. June was filled with strangers congregating around lure spots and crazy stories all over the internet. This game briefly redefined what gaming and posibly even living could be with its aproach to AR gaming.

2. Titanfall 2 - a single player game thats a love letter to Mirrors Edge, Vanquish, and the bygone era of setpiece hooters with fundamental gameplay mechanics. If a game ever fit my personal video game likes to a T it would probably be this one.

3. Steep. - I've never seen a quality game be destroyed by a consumerbase for not being what they wished it was quite like Steep. Its not SSX, but its a great sandbox game just to snowboard and cruise around in.

4. Ratchet and Clank - a fun throwback platformer. A joy to play

5. Forza Horizon 3 - a refinement on an impressive formula

6. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. - While not the best Mirrors Edge inspired game to be released this year (that was Titanfall 2) catalyst brings back most of what was great about the first game. Even if it wasnt the best at showcasing it.

7.Overwatcb - it was fun as far as multiplayer shooters go, but didnt have much substance beyond running around the same maps over and over again.

8.Trackmania Turbo - filled my need to get repetitively chase time trial scores and try and achieve a perfect run normally filled by 2D platformers

9. No Mans Sky - wandering about space is ok fun. But what truely transformed this game for me was the GAF screenshot thread. No Mans Sky in 8K is a mindblowing experience.

10. Tokyo Mirrage Sessions - I have no idea why this game works, but somehow Persona Fire Emblum and J-pop stardom come together in this quirky fun Wii U game.

Honerable Mentions
X Final Fantasy XV, Watch Dogs 2, The Last Guardian. - all would probably be in tbe top 10 had i played them this year

X Rise of the Tomb Raider - Released 2015 so should be ineligible

hqdefault.jpg

Clive

I had a bit of a slow year for gaming, new games in particular, last year but I can come up with a top 5 of memorable and unique games worthy of getting my vote here.

1. The Last Guardian; Unique, memorable and an experience that made me feel blessed having gotten to play it. One of the best games ever in my opinion.
2. Inside ; Great atmosphere, solid puzzle design and a genuinely interesting world I always wanted to see more of.
3. Dark Souls III ; It's more Dark Souls and that is always a good thing.
4. Dragon Quest Builders ; The questing and building is just super addictive and I always had the "one more quest" feeling when I was supposed to stop playing and kept going.
5. Severed ; The atmosphere and world building is great and the combat requires your constant attention.

1. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; Very nice stealth/strategy game. An old formula perfectly executed in an inspired setting (Japan, Edo Period). A well rounded party whose components feel different both mechanic-wise and narration-wise. Beating a level is pure satisfaction.
2. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; The worthy conclusion of a masterpiece of game design and storytelling. The Witcher 3 is in my top 10 of all times and more of it (an amazing new location, interesting characters, a new big story, new sub quests) is always welcomed.
3. Dishonored 2 ; Incredible level design with an incredible art direction make a exceptional combo. I'm a fan of industrial steampunk/dystopian settings.
4. The Witness ; Like Shadow Tactics, completing a serie of puzzles or, better, an area of the island gives a sense of accomplishment that rarely you'll find in any other game. Alt + TAB Paint was my best friend!
5. Uncharted 4: a Thief's End ; Shooting, platforming and puzzling mechanics are so simple that sometimes they just feel like a filler. Beside that i love the management of the scripts in this game (like in Uncharted 2) and how you can actually play sections that in other games could be just cutscenes. Setting, acting, development of the story are amazing but i understand the gaffer that made that thread saying that Uncharted 4 felt more like a walking simulator than an adventure game.
6. DOOM ; A joy to play, to hear, to see. DOOM 2016 feels like a classic that makes an onslaught in the modern era, with success.
7. SUPERHOT ; It's the most innovative shooter i've played in years.
8. Gears of War 4 ; Act 5 carries the entire game but overall it is a solid cover based TPS like the games of the previous trilogy. The Coalition in my opinion made an amazing job keeping the spirit of the serie. They could make the game 2-4 hours longer to be honest.
9. Severed ; I am not a super fan of touch mechanics but this game kept me hooked to my Vita from the start until the end, i never paused my playthough. Mechanics are rather simple but they keep getting more complex throught the game both from the side of enemies (their abilities and their combination) and main character's progression (due to the sprinkle of RPG elements the game has). Story wise the game is really compelling and sometimes very mature.

Honourable Mentions

x. INSIDE ;
x. Titanfall 2 ;
x. Owlboy ;

kgtrep

Didn't buy or play many games in 2016, sadly.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A great end to Nathan and Elena's story. Visual and gameplay are top-notch.
2. Ratchet & Clank ; A nice reboot of the series with great gameplay.
3. Amplitude ; Addictive and hard to master. Can use more songs.
4. The Jackbox Party Pack 3 ; Fun to play with strangers on nights when you want to relax. Trivia Murder Party is the best.
5. Zero Escape: Time Dilemma ; A serviceable end to the series.
6. Hitman Go ; Fitting visual and music with good puzzles.
7. Broforce ; Hectic and repetitive, but provides an enjoyable time with friends.

pezzie

1. Final Fantasy XV ; The story is a hot mess, but this is undeniably the most fun I've had in a video game all year, and some of the most fun I've ever had in a Final Fantasy game. Good job.

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; My current favorite Uncharted game, slightly squeaking by 2. I loved that they added stealth to the game, and tried to use that the most.

3. Dishonored 2 ; They made another Dishonored game, and that is a good thing. Loved Emily's powers.

4. Doom ; YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

5. Overwatch ; Didn't actually play this one but the game I probably spent the most time watching this year, at friend's homes and online. I wish I enjoyed playing multiplayer shooters more, but still had an impact on my enjoyments this year.

That's it for me this year, most of my gaming was done on older games. I just bought Hitman, and have high hopes for it, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Klart

1. Mother Russia Bleeds ; after waiting for so long for a worthy successor to the Streets of Rage series, this game fianlly succeeds. I love it to bits. It has the violence, gore & synthwave from Hotline Miami. There's more gameplay to it than meets the eye (a lot of "hidden" combo's).
2. Furi ; best Plus surprise.
3. Viking Squad ; fun 3 player brawler.
4. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime ; lovely coop game.
5. Overcooked ; so much fun in coop.
6. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 ; great graphics, but a really good shooter is hidden behind the humourous facade, especially fun in 2 player coop.
7. Doom ; An awesome FPS, guns feel great, looks fantastic.
8. Ratchet & Clank ; very polished game, funny.
9. Dungeon Punks ; fun brawler.
10. Tricky Towers ; had lots of fun in couch versus.

The Flash

Banned
1. DOOM ; Truly the Fury Road of Shooters. Simply superb. Also the Best Soundtrack of the Year by far.
2. Dishonored 2 ; Despite a rocky PC launch, Dishonored 2 improves off of the first game in pretty much every way.
3. Battlefield 1 ; I used to think that I was done with multiplayer FPS games then I played BF1.
4. HITMAN ; Never played a Hitman game before this but now I'm a believer.
5. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; Yes it's technically an expansion but this expansion is better than most full fledged AAA games these days. A great sendoff to a great franchise.
6. Dark Souls III ; It's Dark Souls.
7. Gears of War 4 ; A great first entry into a new trilogy with likable new characters and tried and true Gears gameplay mechanics.
8. Overwatch ; Blizzard + FPS + Fun diverse characters = Instant critical and commerical success.
9. Killer Instinct Season 3 ; The fighting game that made me fall in love with fighting games. A solid new season to one of the best fighting games and reboots on the market. Also has Rash as a playable character.
10. Ratchet & Clank ; My first (and technically the first) Ratchet & Clank game. Just plain and simple video game fun.

Honorable Mentions
x. SUPERHOT ; A fun little FPS indie with a cool time mechanic.
x. Quantum Break ; A narrative rich and cinematic TPS. May not have set the sales charts on fire but it's a solid game nonetheless.
x. Enter the Gungeon ; Another solid indie shooter with a cute art style that's also a dungeon crawler. Probably should go back to this one.
x. The Division ; Despite the myriads of problems that this game has had since launch the few hours that I played left a positive impression.
x. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Not the best Uncharted but a good send off to a great franchise.

mellow

1. The Last Guardian ; had me thoroughly engrossed from start to finish. The world, level design, aesthetic, OST and of course the bond that naturally developed between the two characters over the course of this journey that felt like some sort of mystical fairy tale made it a fantastic experience that will probably stick with me forever. It's rare a game has me thinking about it weeks after I've finished it. It had flaws for sure, but the highs far, far exceeded any niggles I had with it.

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Didn't really bring anything too fresh to the series, but it didn't need to, the most polished game in the series, the best narrative and characters in the series too IMO. Had one of the most satisfying endings to a game that I've played.

3. Overwatch ; I'd sort of fallen off of the Multiplayer bandwagon a few years ago but this game brought me back on board. I haven't put as much time into a game as I have this in possibly ever. The level of polish is superb. Just a fun game, whether you pick it up and play for 30 mins at a time or for 5 hours.

4. Dark Souls 3 ; Well, it's a Souls game. They're always great. Fantastic world, aesthetic, boss design, satisfying combat, etc. I could definitely feel the onset of series fatigue whilst playing through but that was more so due to FromSoft's release schedule over the last few years than issues with the game itself. Much like Uncharted 4, it was the most polished entry in the series IMO. A fitting end (if it is) to the Fromsoft DS games.

5. Final Fantasy XV ; I haven't really played much of the FF series before but there was enough good here that I'll check out some of the previous highly rated games in the series and for me to be hyped about future. A lot of the time in regards to narrative it feels like it's running around with a golden ball but routinely drops it, there's a hell of a lot of potential here with the characters and story but it felt far too under-cooked. Could have used another 12-18 months in the oven for sure BUT I had a lot of fun playing the game. OST of the gen too.

6. Salt and Sanctuary ; I usually don't give much thought to indies but this has changed my mind for sure. Sure it lifts a hell of a lot of 'inspiration' from the Souls series but it was arguably better than some of the entries to me. I praise it for the same sort of things I would DS3. Fantastic level design, boss designs, etc. There's a hell of a lot of great content here.

Most of the other stuff I'd played last year were from previous years or stuff I didn't have much of a positive outlook on to include them in a 'top list.'

1. Inside ; As polished as any game in the past 10 years, incredible environments and sound design.
2. Doom ; Best FPS campaign this generation. Fantastic pace and tight controls makes combat action packed.
3. Forza Horizon 3 ; Cleanest driving game date. Soundtrack is great and the setting is arguably the best in the franchise.
4. Uncharted 4 ; Masterclass graphics, great story helps to make this the best action movie simulator to date.
5. Titanfall 2 ; Smooth traversing and inclusion of a campaign mode make this the Titanfall game many people wanted to begin with.
6. Overwatch ; A breath of fresh air FPS. Beautiful graphics and fluid gameplay make the experience feel new and surprisingly addicting.
7. Gears of War 4 ; Amazing visuals and an action-packed campaign create one of the most exciting experiences of 2016.
8. The Witness ; A great puzzle game for fans of the genre looking to rekindle that same trial and error nostalgia from the far gaming past.
9. Severed ; One of the best games on the Vita. The entire feel and mood of the game help to drive the narrative.
10. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; New gameplay additions make this the most cohesive Pokemon experience on the 3ds.

1. DOOM ; One of the best FPS campaigns I've played. Nonstop demon-slaying fun with a great sense of style and amazing level design. The most fun I had with a game this year.

2. The Witness ; A cerebral series of puzzles mixed with a genuine sense of wonder and discovery. Playing the game free of any expectations made every little reveal that much more profound, and its moments and epiphanies have stuck with me all year.

3. Inside ; Playdead's second game is a bizarre mediation on control that is so tightly contained and paced it's hard not to stand back and admire it. It plays better than LIMBO and the overall experience, tone, and atmosphere mixed with the beautiful and bleak art style makes it an unforgettable experience.

4. Overwatch ; I play Overwatch solo and I still want more. This game is what multiplayer shooters should strive to be as it puts the gameplay first - not skins, unlocks or microtransactions (although the loot boxes could be seen as that), but pure addictive, stay-up-until-four gameplay.

5. Titanfall 2 ; I really loved the first Titanfall, but this one presents an impressive campaign which uses the incredibly fun movement mechanics to propel some twists that change the gameplay. I found the game so fun to play that I didn't want the campaign to end, so I ventured onto the multiplayer and spent many hours there as well.

6. Hitman ; Far be it from me to even think about a Hitman game after I've played it. I was so tired of what Absolution tried to do that the episodic nature of the new Hitman put me off entirely at first. But once all episodes released, I brushed aside my convictions and bought in, listening to the praise from outlets I admire. It turns out this game is a fun, varied stealth playground with 6 tightly designed sandboxes for you to dish out your assassinations. The many, many ways in which you can choose to approach any situation in the game is astounding and, most of all, fun. It's been a while since the Hitman franchise has been fun to me, and this new episodic series provides fun in droves.

7. Uncharted 4 ; This more Uncharted but with added ambition and scope. I enjoy revisiting these characters and the writing did a good enough job of making a return to the universe feel more fleshed out than muddled.

8. Superhot ; Superhot is a really awesome mechanic surrounded by a vague story, if you could even call it that. Its gameplay loop is insanely satisfying and turns average shooter scenarios into puzzles which are intense and challenging.

9. Battlefield 1 ; WW1 is one of my favorite wars to study, so naturally I loved what BF1 did with the setting. It plays to the horrors of war in a way the series never has, and the tone of the game is unique in the current age of military shooters. The multiplayer, while still as thoughtful and occasionally languid as BF multiplayer can be, feels harsher and all the more powerful to play.

10. Ratchet and Clank ; Ratchet and Clank has always been one of my favorite Playstation series, and this remake sports incredible graphics while adding enough the game itself to warrant a fun return to this world.

1. DOOM ; Perfection.gif
2. Picross 3D Round 2 ; the first game was amazing and they made it even better , the color mechanic is genious and the QOL improvements made it hard to go back to the first one.
3. Enter the Gungeon ; A roguelike twin stick shooter didnt sound goof to me at first, but the gameplay makes it, I dont mind repeating the same level over and over , is fun everytime.
4. TitanFall 2
5. Rythm Heaven Megamix
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
7. Battlefield 1
8. Hyperlight Drifter

illusionary

This may evolve over the next couple of weeks as there are a number of 2016 games that I've not yet gotten around to, but I've started to get my thoughts together:

1. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; It may be an expansion, but in both quality and quantity of content, Blood and Wine tops any other release of the year for me. Geralt's world continues to be incredibly vibrant, with a gripping storyline and satisfying RPG gameplay. I'm now left eagerly awaiting Cyberpunk 2077!

2. Dishonored 2 ; Immersive sims are a genre that I love, and with the imaginative and diverse range of powers available to both Corvo and Emily, Dishonored 2's world is very satisfying to explore, with some of the best level-design that I've seen in a long while
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; The second immersive sim on my list, Deus Ex's setting is one that I find more appealing, but it's just pipped by Dishonored 2's range of powers and level design.

4. XCOM 2 ; I've loved X-Com from the days of the original games so Firaxis' remakes start from a strong position in my mind. While the strategic layer may not be as deep as the originals, XCOM remains an immensely satisfying tactical game, retaining that 'just one more turn' feeling - and this sequel builds on that in every way.

5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A wonderful send-off for Nathan Drake, Uncharted 4 puts together its numerous setpiece encounters masterfully, all framed by an engaging story that keeps the player engaged at every step.

6. DOOM ; Easily coming in as "best surprise" for me, especially as I'm not usually one to go for games based around exaggerated violence, this is a perfect modern interpretation of the original game. The 'glory kill' mechanic ensures that every encounter is engrossing and action-packed, with the musical score serving to heighten that feeling even further.

7. Invisible, Inc. ; No other game does tension quite like Invisible, Inc. It's a perfectly-balanced tactical game that puts up a strong challenge, without ever feeling unduly unfair, and with excellent customisation.

8. The Witness ; Ultimately it may just be a series of maze puzzles, but that would really be selling the game short. The way in which it manages to teach the underlying rules for each of its puzzles is unmatched, and no other single moment from this year's games could quite top the satisfaction that comes from solving the final challenge that it presents.

9. Aragami ; I love stealth games and Aragami is a very well made interpretation of the genre - sufficient to have me seeking out a proper Tenchu collection! I struggle it rate it higher in my list as it's a little marred by some performance issues, but if you can look past those (which I can), there's a great game here.

10. INSIDE ; The game's darkness of tone isn't something that I typically find appealing, but it's just so well-crafted that I have to admire it.

Honourable Mentions
x. Axiom Verge ; This was a 2015 game for me, but I'm not going to miss the opportunity to give a shout-out to this spectacularly well-made 'Metroidvania' seeing as its eligible.
x. Picross 3D Round 2 ;
x. Watch Dogs 2
x. Pony Island

Cetra

1. Dark Souls III ; While not my favorite of the series, (That title still belongs to Dark Souls) Dark Souls III recaptured the feel of tragedy, mystery, and danger around every corner that hooked me so completely with Dark Souls and was somewhat muddled in Dark Souls II. Gameplay wise, it's the pinnacle of the series. Combat, traversal, and movement never felt so assured in Dark Souls title. And it's conclusion was pitch perfect in my eyes. While it may be the end of the Dark Souls series, I look forward to Miyazakisan and FromSoft have in store for us with their next iteration on the formula.

2. Overwatch ; I am absolutely not a fan of shooters, but Overwatch has so much heart. A cast of genuinely likable, hell loveable, characters and that classic Blizzard gameplay perfection and polish combined to create a shooter that I couldn't put down much to my own surprise.

3. Civilization VI ; What can I say? It's the perfect Civ game right outta the box. While I'm looking forward to what any expansion may bring to the title I really don't think it needs them. It's a game which stands on on its own as soon as you start playing. And in this age of Day One Patches, Day One DLC and the like - thats really refreshing.

4. Final Fantasy XV ; As a massive Final Fantasy fan I wasn't too keen on this title as it's launch approached. It seemed to fly in the face of everything I held dear as cornerstones of the series. Diverse character roster, strategic and engaging combat, stories that tug at your heart strings, etc. What I found in Final Fantasy XV is a great game that has no business existing given it's storied and tumultuous development cycle. It may not be exactly what I want from a Final Fantasy title, but it's a great game none the less.

5. Super Mario Run ; I will never, ever, not be completely in awe of how completely Nintendo managed to capture the feel, fun, and game play of a full blown Super Mario game in Super Mario Run. It's a testament to their ability to design their games around the hardware and leverage it's advantages while minimizing it's disadvantages.

Bladelaw

1. DOOM ; I've never been so satisfied playing a First Person Shooter since Quake 2

2. Final Fantasy XV ; It's got plenty of issues, but hey it's my list. The combat was great, the sidequests were interesting, and the story kept me moving.

3. Overwatch ; One of the rare multiplayer shooters that I actually enjoy, great variety in heroes, mostly great map design, and tons of character

4. HITMAN ; This is the first real foray into HITMAN for me and the freedom to experiment or just drop a light fixture on a target remains compelling today.

5. The Witness ; I've never played a puzzle game that so thoroughly played with a concept to the point of obsession. It was frustrating often but the payoff was usually worth it.

The rest was my failed attempts at clearing my backlog. I wish I had more time/money to play some of the gems posted thus far.

AAK

1. The Last Guardian ; This is a spritual sequel to ICO/SOTC that lives up to its legacy. The Last Guardian will not go down in history standing on the giants of games like Super Mario 64/Ocarina of Time/Metal Gear Solid like Shadow of the Colossus will. However the sheer ambition of this title and beholding the titan of a technical feet being displayed on the screen in front of you cannot be praised enough. The simple fact this piece of software was completed from start to finish with the original vision intact is the single greatest achievement this year. I think it's safe to say that videogaming will probably only get a game with such technical complexity happening in the background once a decade. Hence, my Game of the Year 2016 goes to The Last Guardian.
2. The Witness ; I wasn't smart enough to finish this game and didn't find it as brilliant as Braid, but The Witness still really left an ever-lasting impression on me. That moment when you discover the completely other set of puzzles that was in front of you the entire time was definitely mind shattering.
3. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator ; This would have been my number 2 or even close to number 1 if only Arcsys retained the English Dub. My enjoyment of the game was pretty much halfed thanks to me understanding none of the dialogue that takes place during the fight which isn't even subbed. It especially hurt when the death cries in instakills were no longer comprehensible. But still despite that GGXrd: Revelator is still one of the funnest experiences this year which speaks volumes about its gameplay. Revelator also looks phenomenal for an uprez'd PS3 game.
4. Let It Die
5. Mortal Kombat XL
6. Furi
7. Ratchet and Clank
8. King of Fighters XIV
9. Street Fighter V
10. Invisible Inc., Console Edition

UPDATED on 01/20

Nakadai30

1. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence – Ascension ; SoI was the best game last year, and this expansion just makes it even better. Strategy gaming at it's best.
2. The King of Fighters XIV ; SNK makes a great comeback with the best fighting game in some time. A strong foundation for what will hopefully be coming from SNK in the future.
3. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII ; Finally returning to the ROTK VIII and ROTK X style of officer play, though hopefully the PUK will come to U.S.
4. Titanfall 2 ; Really fun single player, with a FANTASTIC online that nears the greatness of the original Gears of War multiplayer.
5. Battlefield 1 ; Awful single player, but the multiplayer is the best so far from DICE.
6. Mafia III ; Great story and good characters, just needs less Ubisoft influence.
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A very good game. But not the equal of the rest of the Uncharted series or the Last of Us.
8. The Banner Saga 2 ; Sequel that equals or perhaps surpasses the original. Looking forward to the sequel.
9. Aragami Great new stealth game, much needed revival of the genre. Hope to see a sequel.
10. Overwatch : Very fun, but the loot box crap is lame. Well made.

necrosis

1. DOOM; This game successfully takes what was so great about its older predecessors and gives it a modern coat of paint. While its multiplayer is hit or miss, its campaign is stellar and the game on the whole is a breath of fresh air for the FPS genre.

2. Dark Souls 3; Bloodborne set some pretty lofty expectations for FromSoftware, but they did an admirable job of trying to meet them with DS3. The game is atmospheric and very engaging, to say the least.

3. Overwatch; I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a multiplayer game. It's an addicting, fun shooter with a diverse cast of characters.

4. Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past; While DQ7 isn't a flawless game by any stretch of the imagination, it's a fun JRPG with an insane amount of depth.

5. Pokémon Sun/Moon; Not my favorite games in the series, but Sun and moon do remarkable things to the traditional Pokémon formula and freshen it up in a way that was sorely needed.

6. Batman: The Telltale Series

7. XCOM 2

1. Final Fantasy XV ; It certainly isn't objectively an amazing game, but despite its numerous flaws it captivated me like no other game this year has. The emotional payoff for me was really great and it has me excited to see what they have in store for the future.
2. Bravely Second: End Layer ; Good ol' turn-based fun. A gorgeous game that streamlines the already user-friendly systems of the first game and is charming enough to forgive the substantial asset reuse.
3. Pokemon Sun/Moon ; A very fun spin on the classic Pokemon formula. It takes everything good about its predecessors and improves upon it, and snips out some of the bad parts as well.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD ; A sorely needed remaster of a great Zelda title. The dungeon design in this entry is some of the best the series has ever seen.
5. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; A nice step up from the previous game in terms of map design and objectives.
6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; Playing this game as my first foray into the series certainly left me with more questions than answers, but the writing is very good and had me engrossed the whole time.
7. Dragon Quest Builders ; A fun take on the Dragon Quest formula! At least, I'm assuming. I've never played a proper Dragon Quest game before. I've never played Minecraft before either, but if this is what it's like... I get it now.
8. Super Mario Run ; A good Mario game in its own right. Toad Rally is more addicting than it has any right to be.
9. Stardew Valley ; A very relaxing game... The game loop is satisfying and the locales are very pleasant.
10. World of Warcraft: Legion ; After Warlords of Draenor, this expansion felt good. I haven't made it through all of the content yet, not by a long shot, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Demon Hunters are fun.

Compiling this list makes me realize just how few new games I've played this year... hopefully that will change now that I have a PS4 :)

Smeags

It's been a strange year for me, with a lot of new experiences, and therefore a bit of turbulence. New job, new home, new relationships... and with that came a lack of shiny new game time. So 2016 was a year of catching up, whether it be with my backlog, or older systems I didn't have access to before. That said, there were a few games I picked up this year. Here's the best of that bunch:

1. Pokemon Sun/Moon; (3DS/Game Freak) Pokemon has always been a special occasion for me. The three siblings each get a copy, and open it up day one to begin our adventures (of course we always get a unique starter). With time and age, things change, but we still managed to come together to play Pokemon this year. It doesn't hurt that the game itself was filled with wonderful improvements (Pokemon has never looked or sounded better), refreshing changes (I love the Island Challenges and all it entails), and of course the new Pokemon (Mimikyu is just amazing!). It doesn't hurt that my new roommate turned out to be a Pokemaniac as well, and we also bonded over our adventure in Alola. It was a tough year, but Pokemon Sun and Moon helped to bring a lot of joy these past few months.

2. Terraria; (Wii U/505 Games) I kept hearing about Terraria over the years. Something about a 2D MineCraft (I've never gotten into MineCraft, so it never was much of a pitch). So when I moved in with my new roommate, I was surprised to find that he was a big fan. So when he saw the Wii U version release this year, he got it so we could both play together. I watched a bit, and was definitely intrigued. So taking the controls, I began my Terraria adventure. 100 hours later, with the best weapons and armor possible, and my world perfectly manicured, I can say that I understand the appeal.

3. Fire Emblem Fates; (3DS/Intelligent Systems) I've been a fan of this series since Path of Radiance, and even moreso with the onset of Awakening. I love inserting your avatar into the world, and I love the greater functionality of building relationships (which lets the characters really shine). What made Awakening shine seems to have hamstrung Fates (shoehorned child system, awkward storyline due to the nature of the avatar), but for the most part the game still remains strong due its tried and true mechanics, loads of content, and some awesome characters (Favorites are Rinkah, Scarlet, Arthur, and Keaton).

4. Pokemon Go; (Mobile/Niantic) It's honestly not much of a game, but what happened because of it? Well, I can say that this game, out of everything else I've played this year, impacted my life the most. Looking back, it still amazes me of what this game did. From witnessing hoards of people literally running towards lure moduled Pokestops, to being stopped by an old couple who told us where a nearby Jynx was, and all the crazy things that happened inbetween. Pokemon Go was certainly more than a game, and it continues to have a daily impact (just caught a Charizard!).

5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD; (Wii U/Tantalus) There's not much to say about this one. It's a very well done remaster of a great Zelda game. Arbiters Grounds remains one of the series' highlights, in both dungeon and boss design.

6. Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero; (Wii U/Wayforward) I've been a fan of Shantae since Risky's Revenge, and 1/2 Genie Hero continues Shantae's tradition of excellent 2D Action Platforming goodness. It doesn't quite hit the peak of Pirate's Curse, but it looks great, sounds great, plays great (unless you're a harpy), and continues to prop up Shantae's excellent legacy.

So yeah, pretty lackluster year when it came to 2016 releases, but I got to play some amazing games from 2015 and before, so I can't complain too much. Let's hope 2017 brings some incredible games! ^_^

meerak

1. Street Fighter V ; Forced me to play online, made me fall in love with a fighting game again - Let my beauty intoxicate you!
  2. Uncharted 4 ; Definitely the most "I need to call everyone I know" moments in a game ever.
  3. Hitman ; I finally found a level I can replay more than Anathema.
  4. Final Fantasy XV ; An extremely emotional playing experience... few games have so much heart.
  5. The Last Blade 2 ; My favourite samurai fighter since Gunn, the music most especially is classic.
  6. No Man's Sky ; I'm just going to straight up say that I was really high playing a lot of this game and it was just incredible.
  7. Overcooked ; My girlfriend ASKS to play this game with me and she HATES games! And me too!
  8. Tyranny ; Not the first CRPG I played, but probably the first I loved.
Honourable Mentions
x. Batman: The Telltale Series ; hated the style, but enjoyed the story.
x. Pokémon Go ; never had fun playing this, but MAN that was a crazy ass week of strangers standing on my block, people driving around, shouting out of windows.

1. Digimon Cyber Sleuth ; While I was expecting a decent game after pinning so long for it, I was blown away by how good the game was. The story was at times amusing, others intriguing and by the end I end got emotional after a while and the characters were a treat. Had an insanely fun time raising digimon and figuring out various ways to get the team I wanted the way I wanted. A must play for any lover of JRPGS and Digimon.

2. Senran Kagura Estival Versus ; I'm a simple man who like girls, tits, asses and watching girls with nice tits and asses beating the living shit out of each other and considering I took the time to platinum this game, you know it must be good.

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II ; Marked improvement over the original in numerous ways. This is a journey I want to see the end of.

4. Grand Kingdom ; Tactical JRPG that I instantly fell in love with. The seemingly simple combat system hides what is a deeply tactical and calculating game that makes you feel like even movement of your characters matters. Criminally under-recognized game.

5. Dark Souls III ; I can just never have a enough Dark Souls since Dark Soul 2 and this gave me everything I wanted and more out of the series.

6. Fire Emblem Fates ; More Nintendo JRPG goodness than I can shake a stick at. Collected all the waifus and husbandos

7. Final Fantasy XV ; A game I was almost put off playing by listening to other people, glad I picked it up. Easily one of my top 5 FF games. Absolutely nailed the bros on a roadtrip vibe.

8. Pokemon Sun and Moon ; Revived the pokemon series for me after skipping the last couple games.

9. Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 ; Criminally under-rated game, amazing visuals and the story mode is a great way to get lasped fans up to date with the story while keeping things interesting and hitting the major story beats.

10. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ; Amazing story book tale. The visuals are absolutely stunning, the character are great to control full and well flesh out personality wise. Absolute gem of a game and the best remaster I have played.

VanCityGamer, I apologize if it was The Xtortionist's troll question that started the course of events that led you to being banned right now.

He's a terrible person.

Top Bottom