• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahji

I will try this challenge, too.

1. Lightning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII (PC - 51 h - 6/1/2017)

The story ended with a big bang and having slept over it I liked the ending. The question is now: Do I return for a new game plus and beat the optional superbosses? I did not manage to kill them in my first playthrough because time was short (as always in life).
I liked the time mechanic, but at some times it was a bit stressful. This also goes for the combat system. At first it was simply too much for me. Managing three ATB-bars of the garbs simultaneously was hard in the first 10 hours. But it grew on me and now I am glad that they didn't keep the same battle system as in FFXIII and in FFXIII-2. Best part of the trilogy for me.

coming next: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3)

Thought about it long and hard, especially with a full time job, wife, 14 month old daughter and another baby on the way but I decided to take the plunge and challenge myself.

With the Switch coming out, plans to grab a PS4 Pro and Scorpio sometime this year and subscriptions to Live and Plus I think I'm pretty prepared.

1: Yoshi's Wooly World (Started in 2016)- 1/1/17 (22 hours) 8/10

Yoshi's Island on the SNES was the first game I ever bought with my own money. My mother wanted me to earn it. I read Nintendo Power religiously I can remember thinking about how badly I wanted this game. Needless to say Wooly World had some MASSIVE shoes to fill. Although it was doomed to fail to live up to SMW2. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Wooly. It was an easy platformer to just fly through, but devilishly difficult to 100%. I stopped my quest for perfection around the 4th world.

2: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Started in 2016)- 1/1/17 (24 hours) 9/10

GOD DAMN MUMMY-ME MAZE FOREVER! Ok now that I got that out of my system, I loved Captain Toad. It was a good change of pace though not being able to turn off the motion controls was a nuisance. A lot of charm and good replayability. 99.9999% done.

3: Uncharted 4 - 1/5/17 (15.5 hours, Hard) 8/10

Uncharted gets a lot of hate that I don't think is completely deserved. While I do think it's a little climbing heavy and has a few unrealistic gameplay elements (magic rope, crates with wheels, dumb enemy AI), the game itself was beautiful to look at and had a decent storyline. It's not a magnificent 10/10, but it was a solid 8.

4: Halo 5 - 1/6/17 (8.5 hours, Heroic) 7/10 Campaign, 10/10 Multiplayer

After dumping 574 hours into the multiplayer and getting to SR 146 I decided it was time to actually play the Halo 5 campaign. 343 missed an opportunity to give us more Chief and the "AI realizes it must enslave humanity to save humanity" plot has been done to death, but the smooth gameplay, spartan ability and my love for the Halo franchise saved this campaign for me (That and the fact that I played it in Co-Op with my brothers)

5: The Last of Us Remastered - 1/16/17 (12.5 hours, Survivor) 9/10

Went back to revisit this gem. I'm not one for games that are focused on story, but TLOU is top notch. The crafting system is great and playing on Survivor really forces you to make tough choices about what you need. Up next for me is Left Behind. I've never played it, but Ellie's monologue during the last cutscene makes me want to start it right away. I would start right now, but it's about 10:41pm as a type this, and duty calls.

6: The Last of Us Remastered - Left Behind - 1/18/17 (1.5 hours, Survivor) 5/10

I went into this thinking any more TLOU would be great, but I was actually left a bit disappointed. I don't think the relationship with Riley was worthwhile. It felt a bit hollow for me. The fact that I just spent 13 hours playing through TLOU a couple of days ago doesn't help either. It felt like the relationship with Joel was earned and this one was just thrust upon us :::shrugs:::

7: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 4/1/17 (203 hours) 10/10

BotW has officially supplanted LttP as my favorite game of all time. The sheer sense of freedom was refreshing and this is coming from someone who generally has an extreme dislike of open world games. It was like falling in love with TLoZ all over again. Astounding.

8: Mario + Rabbid: Kingdom Battle (50 hours) 9/10

I'm a completionist when it comes to certain games and, it might be my Nintendo bias kicking in, I really want to go back and explore until I get every chest. The progression felt really natural. I didn't experience the extreme difficulty spike that many people spoke about because I continually mastered the new tactics I added to my skill tree. This game made me want to pick up XCOM 2.

Bii

Thought about it long and hard, especially with a full time job, wife, 14 month old daughter and another baby on the way but I decided to take the plunge and challenge myself.

With the Switch coming out, plans to grab a PS4 Pro and Scorpio sometime this year and subscriptions to Live and Plus I think I'm pretty prepared.

I have a 4-year old and one on the way but will give this a shot. I feel like I have missed out on a lot of games over the past decade. So now's my chance to catch up. I, too, plan on getting a Switch, hopefully at launch or whenever it's available.

-

Original Post

kew44FQ.jpg

2. Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Finished Story Mode; it was over-the-top but still fun. Last boss made me lose my patience. I can't see myself playing MK games beyond the Arcade/Story modes.

Main post

-------

header.jpg

3. The Blackwell Legacy - 2.3 hours
Very good point & click adventure, too bad it supports only low resolutions, i was forced to play in windowed mode to enjoy it.

KyleP29

2015- Completed 52 games playing 1,893 hours.

2016 - Completed 50 playing 1,099 hours

I suppose i will go ahead and give this another go. Though i suspect my totals will continue to slide.

1. Dead Rising 4 - Xbox One (11 hours) - 1/7/2017
  2. Titanfall 2 - Xbox One (50 hours) - 1/12/2017
  3. Batman: The Telltale Series - Xbox One (8 hours) - 1/15/2017
  4. The Witness - Xbox One (32 hours) - 1/17/2017
  5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Xbox One (10 hours) - 1/29/2017
  6. Civilization VI - PC (35 hours) - 2/5/2017
  7. For Honor - Xbox One (10 hours) - 2/19/2017
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (100 hours) - Switch - 3/27/2017
  9. MLB The Show (22 hours) - 4/11/2017
  10. Shovel Knight (10 hours) - Switch - 4/15/2017
  11. Cities: Skylines (16 hours) - Xbox One - 5/52017
  12. What Remains of Edith Finch (3 hours) - PS4 - 5/62017
  13. Horizon Zero Dawn (46 hours) - PS4 - 5/29/2017
  14. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (8 hours) - Xbox One - 6/4/2017
  15. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (15 hours) - Switch - 6/11/2017
  16. Dirt 4 (52 hours) - PS4 - 6/24/2017
  17. Pyre (14 hours) - PS4 - 7/31/2017
  18. Tacoma (3 hours) - Xbox One - 8/6/2017
  19. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (8 hours) - PS4 - 8/11/2017
  20. Matterfall (7 hours) - PS4 - 8/18/2017
  21. Splatoon 2 (15 hours) - Switch - 8/20/2017
  22. Madden 18 (33 hours) - PS4 - 9/01/2017
  23. Nex Machina (8 hours) - PS4 - 10/07/2017
  24. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (10 hours) - PS4 - 10/16/2017
  25. Everybody's Golf (13 hours) - PS4 - 10/21/2017

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #3 - Doom (2016)
Time: 10 hours

Doom is almost the perfect game, and no I dont mean that its the best game ever. Its not even my GOTY for 2016, far from it. But its one of the few games I cant say anything bad about, it executes what it sets out to do flawlessly, and is an instant classic. It looks amazing, the gameplay is so fast and frenetic, the weapons feel great, the soundtrack is metal as fuck, its a long ass campaign for a FPS, the level design is terrific, like I said, Is truggle to find something bad to say about it. Its one of those games that we will always easily recomend when someone asks "hey what should I play?". High stakes for the sequel tho, damn.

header.jpg

Game #4 - Hexcells
Time: 3 hours

Holy shit this was addicting. Played it in almost 1 sitting, just had to do one more puzzle and then one more and then... you get the idea. Very similar to Picross games, at least in spirit if not execution. Super mellow, great puzzles, I got 100% in it (no mistakes because I always restarted if I fucked up, like with every pictross game) and cant wait to play the others. Here's a little depressing nugget... I had actually dimissed this series as bundle fodder trash and chucked it in my "completed" category on Steam without even installing it, when I did my "man im not gonna play any of this crap in my lifetime" cleanse of my list. Thank god a gaffer told me they were like Picross / Paint it black, that was a huge fuck up on my part lol.

Main Post

hiredhand

1. Phantasmagoria 5/10
I hadn't previously played this Roberta Williams' FMV horror game but I remember reading about when it came out. It's definitely a product of its time. The acting and writing is just as bad as you can imagine but I can't deny there is a certain charm to the game. The gameplay is way simplified compared to the earlier Sierra games. The final chapter was a pain in the ass but at least the game rewarded you with this awesomeness during the end credits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhvRWqV9_E

dickroach

S9WdzlQ.jpg

11/50
I'mgonna add them in the order I started them n bold em when I finish em. the first few games I started in December. I guess I'm playing a ton of games concurrently right now. didn't even realize
  1. Lost Odyssey (XB1) - 47:12
    Not bad, not great. I liked playing through it, but it's probably not a game I will ever think about again or replay. I don't know what else to say... I kinda powered through disc 4, plus all the side quests, the past two nights just to finally get done with this game before Zelda comes out tomorrow. The side quests tacked on an extra 10 hours. this is closer to a 40 hour game, considering the side quests are really unfulfilling. They just help get your party leveled high enough that the final boss is stupid easy.
  2. Pokemon Sun (3DS) - 8 hours...
    about to go to the trial on the Volcano.
  3. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 2-3 hours
    First Team Ico game for me. I'm liking it. Trico's a delight. just got to the part where
    you see another big creature for the first time
  4. Blast Corps (XB1) - 4 hours? so far
    The Easy and Medium were fun. really fun. these Hard backlash levels SUCK. I will beat this game. eventually.
  5. Riptide GP Renegade (PS4) - 2-3 hours
    Arcade-y fun. way harder than GP2 for some reason
  6. Halo 2 Anniversary (XB1) - ~12 hours
    I'm liked it a lot more than Halo: CE Anniversary. The pacing is better, the areas are harder to get lost in, the story, characters, and cutscenes are a lot better. and it's just more fun to play.
  7. The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ (PC) - ~100 hours
    I've 100%'d Rebirth and Afterbirth, but some of the achievements in this game are dumb. I don't like the "dailies." I beat every boss with every character. I beat the game.
  8. Touch My Katamari (Vita) - ~8 hours
    I had a blast playing it, but in hindsight it wasn't a great Katamari game; pretty short, and nothing really new. The capabilities of the Vita seemed to limit the amount of stuff that could be on the screen on what time, which made the levels kind of slow and boring. The new mechanic they added where you could stretch your katamari had promise, but was unneeded. Got every trophy except the last one, and played one Request (DLC), the Pac-Man one, which was awesome.
  9. Limbo (Vita) - 3 hours
    had been meaning to play this for a few years now. cool puzzle game. simple, short. i got stuck a couple of times, but when I'd come back a few days later I'd get past where I was instantly.
  10. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS) - 18 hours
    I was expecting the ending to stink, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm happy because there needs to be some payoff for turning a couple of hundred minute long puzzles into an 18 hour game. some of the puzzles were way too easy, and some were kinda bullshitishly tricky, but I think there's a good balance. there's a few puzzles I missed, and then there's the 365 bonus daily puzzles... I'll definitely be coming back to this. oh and I liked turning on the 3D during the hand drawn cutscenes.
  11. Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (Vita/TV) - 5? hours
    I remember seeing this cool cat wearing a Pac Man hat all over gaming magazines and box art in game aisles years ago, but I never got a chance to play a Klonoa game. Klonoa can jump, hold it for a little Yoshi-like flutter jump, grab and throw enemies, and throw enemies down to double jump. There's also times where you need to throw enemies into the background or foreground (z-axis), and there are also times where a 2D path will split into a 3D one. This game would be perfect for the 3DS. There's 12 levels, 7 bosses. The game starts like a slow walk in the park, but the last few levels were longer and way cooler, and the last couple of bosses were super frustrating. Also there's 6 creatures in each level to rescue, which unlocks a bonus level, so the game gives you incentive to go down every path and really explore the levels. I'd definitely play Klonoa 2 if it even comes to PS4.
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - 35? hours
    It's a big game. It's a really big game. I don't think I like really big games. I feel like I took my time and I still didn't hit up 25% of what the game has to offer. The whole game, the whole story, was building up to you going into the castle to fight this big final boss, and it was really disappointing.... I dunno. Maybe I'll write more after I've had more time to look back on it, or maybe do some more shrines and quests and stuff, but I don't think I'll be diving back in; I'd rather play something else.
  13. Gunman Clive (PC) ~ 1 hour
    I wanted something short + fun after doing Lost Odyssey and BOTW back to back. I didn't realize how short it was. Fun little run & gun with a cool art style. The
    duck mode
    you unlock after you beat the game for the first time was great, maybe even more fun then the main game.
  14. LEGO Marvel Superheroes (PC) - 22 hours
    I hadn't played a LEGO game since the LEGO Star Wars, and I'm not a Marvel fan, but for some reason this game caught my eye. The levels were alright, the cast was gigantic, the "open world" was a great little space to run around in and cause havoc, but a lot of the side missions were dull. It was fun, but I can't say I'm interested in playing another 20 hours just to unlock more characters that control the same as the 60 I've already unlocked.
  15. Knack (PS4) - 13? hours
    I hated this game; probably the most frustrating game I've ever finished. I really wanted to like it. I like it's style, and I like the game it tried to be, but it was a total drag. It's not a platformer like I expected. There is no exploring levels, there are no jumps to make. It's a beat em up, which is cool. But it's a beat em up that stop you every 30 seconds to show you a 10 second cut scene. It's a beat em up where you yourself have to constantly stop to hit every wall to try and find unlockables. It's a beat em up where the enemies all have unique patterns, but they are all incredibly easy to figure out, but still find a way to kill you fairly often due to bad controls layered on top of weird enemy pairings. I was really interested in playing as Vampire Knack, Massive Knack, and the other weird unlockable Knacks, but I didn't find all the shards or whatever and I'm not going to. I swear I punched every wall I could. Oh, and the story/characters/acting were all ridiculous. I hope Knack 2's fun. This game should have been fun. It was not.
  16. Gears of War 2 (XB1) - 8? hours
    I played Gears 1 like four months ago, and liked it. This one's fun too. I can tell they were trying to incorporate new ideas into each level, but gameplay wise it really is just the same thing over and over. The tank controls badly.

replayed: Paper Mario TTYD

Azriell

Virginia
Platform: PS4
Time: ~3:00
Date: 01.07
Score: (4/5)

Not sure how I feel about Virginia yet. It's easily my favorite walking simulator, but that's not saying a whole lot. It does a lot of things I really like, such as skipping through time and space rather than making the character walk everywhere, and it has the feeling of a TV show that I really like. The art style is also fantastic. It's low poly and looks kind of shitty at first glance, but when you realize how much care and effort was put into the animations it all makes sense. These models handle environmental objects more realistically than I've ever see before, and it makes the game feel more realistic even when it looks so unrealistic.

The story is crazy and (seemingly) incoherent, which I think I like but I haven't decided yet. I need more time to figure out what I think it was about, and then I need to read what others think it's about. I might play through it again to try an understand it better.

febLey

First time participating in this challenge. Gonna be interesting.

Also please excuse me for my writing skills, firstly I'm not a native English speaker and also I'm not a good writer, even in my native language.
So please let me know if some of my sentences don't make any sense :>

Finished:

header.jpg

#01 | Dark Souls 3 (PS4), 02. January, ~40 hours
Didn't get so long with the game until I reached
Anor Londo
. After that I really started to like it. The level design is, like we're used to in the series, really good. Also soundtrack doesn't disappoint.
– 8/10

header.jpg

#02 | Pony Island (PC), 07. January, ~2 hours
I'm really not sure what to say or to think about this game. It's very unique.
– 9/10

header.jpg

#03 | To the Moon (PC), 08. January, ~3 hours
Really bitter-sweet little story. I like it.
– 9/10

header.jpg

#04 | Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PS4), 14. January, ~2.5 hours
A really beautiful little game, it's like a co-op game that you play by yourself. The soundtrack is also very lovely.
– 9/10

header.jpg

#05 | Doom (PS4), 15. January, ~10 hours
I really like the fact that this game is basically a love letter to the classic Ego Shooters from the 90s.
Between the shooting sections there are lot of secrets to find.
Sometimes those secrets are rune trials, that I think provide some really creative and fun (most times) gameplay variety.
The the shooting and the movement itself are feeling really good to me and I found them very rewarding.
The soundtrack was setting up the tone of the game really good, especially in the opening mission where the song ends with the reload sound of your shotgun.
The story was good, nothing more. But also I wasn't expecting more from it, so this was not an issue for me.
My only criticism is that some of the later levels felt a bit weak to me.
Overall a really good experience, that lives by it's stellar gameplay and the fact that it knows what it want's to be.
– 9/10

header.jpg

#06 | Spec Ops: The Line (PS3), 19. January, ~5 - 6 hours
Really strong narrative very good soundtrack, but the game doesen't look good, even for the time that it got released (yeah I know the UE3 is shit on PS3), the shooting didn't feel good and the controls aren't optimal.
But nevertheless a game I didn't regret playing.
– 6/10

#07 | Gravity Rush: Remastered (PS4), 22. January, ~12 hours
I'm a sucker for open world games with super powers, so I really liked this game. I even went for Platinum and 100% in the DLCs. I'll get the second game as soon as I can afford it. My only complain: The controls were sometimes a bit annoying.
– 9/10

#08 | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), 1. April ~95 hours

Nintendo has achieved what most Developers didn't, they've created a world that deserves to be explored. The game has a lot interesting side quests and the shrines are really cool.
I really liked the ending.
– 10/10

Currently playing:

- NieR: Automata

Next up:

- Horizon Zero Dawn

The Rest @ howlongtobeat.com

Oreoleo

Main Post

1. Love - .5 Hours
AaNPqnN.png

Retro platformer in the same vein as VVVVVV. Challenging but not overly so and doesn't overstay its welcome. Time attack and similar extras for those looking to delve further into the game. Didn't mean to kick the year off with such a "cheat" game but hey here we are.

2. SteamWorld Dig - 7.5 Hours
NQ5PYfA.png

Wish someone had told me there was a Miner Dig Deep clone available on Steam since 2013! This game scratches a certain itch, even if it's a little more forgiving than Miner Dig Deep, but the basic gameplay loop is there: Dig down > fill pockets with treasure > > sell treasure at surface > repeat. Perfect game to play while listening to podcasts.

3. Battlefield 1 - 55 Hours
zQm1Z4Z.jpg

There's a lot of things I wish this game did differently in both the campaign and multiplayer but ultimately going pre-modern era is enough to make this game work. I tend between frustrated or bored when I'm playing anything that isn't defense on an Operation but when everything is clicking there's a lot of fun to be had.

4. Firewatch - 3.5 Hours
abCeJuE.png

A weird thing to say about a game only 11 months old, but time has been kind to Firewatch. My exasperated frustration with the direction the narrative at release ultimately takes a backseat to my memories circling the well-written characters and gorgeous scenery. Yeah, it feels like there could be another 30-60 minutes of content bridging the middle of the story with the climax, but aside from that Firewatch is executed astonishingly well.

5. Pony Island - 2.5 Hours
xAvEHel.png

A novel game that starts out very clever and imaginative but runs out of new ideas about halfway through, leaving this already short, but quality game feeling less streamlined than it should.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
250px-Chrono_Trigger.jpg

Clearly I chose the right way ta revisit an give this game another chance after 20 some years! . . . >.>

btw What is with those animated cutscenes?! Everyones a DBZ! Totally crushed the images I had of the characters based on their sprites.

Games Beaten: 02 / 52
Total Playtime: 9:36:55
01 - ??

ghibli99

1: Actual Sunlight (Vita) - 1 hour
# Raw, disturbing, beautiful. Proof that videogames continue to be an inclusive medium. Not exactly my thing, but I found it interesting enough to play through 1.5 times to grab all the trophies... which felt weird to do in a game like this.

2: VVVVVV (Vita) - 2 hours
# This is my third playthrough after PC and 3DS. Game seems to get better with age, and that soundtrack is just the best.

In progress:

Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)
Code:Realize: Guardian of Rebirth (Vita)
Pokemon Moon (3DS)
3D Super Hang-On (3DS)
Pac-Man 256 (PS4, was done with this last year, but am grinding for the last two trophies, because I'm dumb)

Main Post

FINISHED
header.jpg

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided(XB1) - Jan 3, 2017(started in 2016) - 23 hrs 54 mins - 7/10
I thought this was kind of a step back from Deus Ex: HR. I wouldn't say this game was bad, but it felt like there was something missing while I was playing. Could have beaten this alot sooner if I didn't go through most of the side missions.

1027088_LB_231x326_en_US_%5E_2016-05-08-23-09-52_c3dde8a110b9712b6da6222ed5841d531410eb21.jpg

2. Titanfall 2(XB1) - Jan 4, 2017(started in 2016) - 5ish hrs(single player) - 9/10
The campaign was great. Although short, I had a much better time going through this campaign than DE:MD. Still playing the mutliplayer currently.

IN PROGRESS
header.jpg

Dark Souls III(XB1)

Stoze

First one down:

Game #1:
Doom II: Hell on Earth (PC, GZDoom) / 1.7.17 / 5.5 hours / All 32 maps
After playing Doom 2016 last year, I made it my mission to go back and play the originals and see how well I would jell with them. I consider myself someone who can easily adapt to older games, but admittedly blasting through Doom's twisty maze level design can get a bit nauseating, especially on longer levels. I found myself really liking Ultimate Doom's episode 4 though, and I was excited to jump into the second hoping that kind of quality would be indicative of the sequel. For the first 10 or 11 levels of Doom 2 that looked to be the case; levels felt tightly designed but not overly complex, and it's cool when a sequel assumes you're not coming in blind. Then the city levels hit and things kind of went to shit. These levels felt amateurish in design and had me fumbling around giant environments going back and forth from building to building, and the pacing of things really suffered. The game managed to kick back up in the final 3rd, although some of the awkward platforming and balancing act terrain still remained.

As far as the new things introduced, the super shotgun is a game changer. It's unbelievably satisfying, and having that AoE for weaker dudes is great. The new enemies are brilliant additions, all offering up new challenges that fit in line with the Doom 1 bestiary. The arch-vile was a big surprise as I had never even seen or heard of it before, and having to completely break line of sight to avoid their attacks is a neat mechanic. Overall there's a lot of dated stuff there that didn't click with me, but for the most part I was able to have a lot of fun with both games and admire these classics up front. Despite having more of a mixed bag of level design in comparison to Doom 1, I think the super shotgun and new enemies in Doom 2 actually do push it over the edge for me when it comes to picking favorites.

Main Post

My January so far has been a marathon of adventure games. Something about this time of year makes me want them. I may be breaking that chain soon though.

1. Kathy Rain / 4 hrs

This was a good start to the year, however it was shorter than I expected and more supernatural than I would have liked.

2. Blackwell Unbound / 2 hrs
3. Blackwell Convergence / 3 hrs
4. Blackwell Deception / 3 hrs
5. Blackwell Epiphany / 4 hrs

So strangely then I went to the most supernatural adventure series and finally beat all the remaining Blackwell games(I beat Legacy years ago) These really did improve with each title, and in such quick succession the open plot elements from game to got solved quicker than it would've been in real time. Very satisfying and the last game was the best of all.

6. The Last Door season 2 / 6 hrs

I really enjoyed season 1 of this, and this was even better, IMO. The puzzles are 99% easy, but the sound design and music make the atmosphere the number one draw here. Such a good representation of "lovecraft-like" horror.

7. The Silent Age / 2 hrs

Twas fine for the dollar I paid. Not too memorable.

8. Anna's Quest / 7 hrs

This was quite good and a solid adventure. I did enjoy the story for the most part.

9. Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today / 5 hrs

Now this is the most depressing adventure game I think I've played since The Cat Lady. I didn't enjoy the puzzles here too much, but the setting and story were pretty unique and there were many memorable scenes, some for the entirely wrong reasons. You do some despicable things in this game(which is fine), and then you do some even worse things which are not really even acknowledged by the game itself. The final segment with the character Rose contains one of the most repugnant actions by the main character, which could have been entirely avoided and the game doesn't seem to recognize that.

9 games / 36 hrs

pelican

OK. Joining in with the fun this year.

Game #1 - Completed 03/01/17

Final Fantasy XV

After a slow start I felt it picked up and by the end I really enjoyed it. The first FF game I've completed since the original FFX release back on the PS2. I didn't finish all the content (level 55), but the story is complete and along with approx 60 side quests. Campaign completed on normal.

Game #2 - Completed 06/01/17

Gears of War 4

Started the campaign way back in October, but kinda moved of the XO to the PS4 when I picked up my Pro. Now that I'm working my way through my XO backlog this was the first I decided to complete. Not a massive Gears fan, but I enjoyed the campaign and it looked great on the S upscaled to 4K with HDR.

Eelier

Neo Member
Claiming my post. My backlog has swelled to near 75 games and this year I will try and prune that.
1: Firewatch (PC 3:45)
I wanted to start off with a short game, and wow this was great. I'm not usually a fan of story driven games with little action, but Firewatch had great voice acting and character development. This really surprised me.

dyliepew

This should be fun! Good luck everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: INSIDE (PS4) - | COMPLETED : Jan. 7th

- Having never played LIMBO, I did not know what to expect from this game beyond walking through a stylized world. In short, I began with moderate amount of expectation, and upon completion, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. And I'd love to revisit it again sometime later on in the year.

2: THE WITCHER 3 : WILD HUNT (PS4) - | COMPLETED : Jan. 14th

- The Witcher 3 has been in the back of my head for two years now, haunting me for not having played it yet. I finally decided to jump into it, and I have not been able to walk away from my couch. It's a one of a kind gaming experience. Truly incredible. I finished the Hearts of Stone DLC as of Jan. 23rd. Will be starting Blood and Wine today! Finished Blood and Wine around two weeks ago as of Feb. 10th. And I will possibly include those two DLC's as separate entries on this list in the future.

3: THE WITCHER 2 : ASSASSINS OF KINGS (XBOX360) - | COMPLETED : Feb. 17th

4: DMC: DEVIL MAY CRY (PS4) - | COMPLETED : Feb. 28th

5: FROG FACTIONS (PC) - | COMPLETED : March 9th

- As clever of a premise as it is a helpful refresh course on those damn fractions. A truly interesting segment in modern video game history. Experience this gem for yourself.

6: HORIZON ZERO DAWN (PS4) - | COMPLETED : March 12th

- Fantastic new IP. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

7: GRAVITY BONE (PC) - | COMPLETED : March 13th

- An interesting and tight experience. Few things you could spend ten minutes on as good as this. Excited to check out Brendon Chung's other works soon.

8: SUPERHOT (PC) - | COMPLETED : March 16th

- Blah .. blah .. SUPERHOT IS THE MOST INNOVATIVE SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED IN YEARS .. blah. It was neat, really.

9: PACKING UP THE REST OF YOUR STUFF ON THE LAST DAY AT YOUR OLD APARTMENT (PC) - | COMPLETED : March 17th

- You wake up in your apartment. You have 30-ish items to pack with only two boxes to use. Arrange until it all fits. Experimenting with the different angles and item placements is greatly relaxing, and the satisfaction upon completing it is present. It'll take around 20 minutes to complete, and you'll be able to listen to some well-crafted music while you play. Recommended.

10: PORTAL (PC) - | COMPLETED: March 23rd

- Finally managed to play through this game. I can definitely see why it had such a huge impact during its time. It's 10 years old now! And it still managed to surprise me and entertain me the entire way through. Loved it.

11: SUPER MARIO LAND 3D (3DS) - | COMPLETED: March 28th

- Always glad to have a reason to play my 3DS. Super fun!

12: PERSONA 5 (PS4) - | COMPLETED: May 31st

- Crazy to think I've spent more than two months on one game. There goes my chances of completing the 52 games. Worth it though.

13:PERSONA 4 GOLDEN (PS VITA) - | COMPLETED:

14:METAL GEAR SOLID (PS3) - | COMPLETED: August 6th

14:JAK AND DAXTER (PS4) - | COMPLETED: August 24th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now! I am currently playing through BLOODBORNE, HITMAN, FINAL FANTASY III, and TITANFALL 2. Loving all of them so far. 2017 is off to a great start for gaming.

Theswweet

#1 スライムもりもりドラゴンクエスト3大海賊としっぽ団 - Completed 01/08/17

3rd entry in the Slime Mori Mori series, and the sequel to the DS title Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I picked this up in Dec. 2015 and played through about half of it, decided now would be a good time to finish her off. It's a great game, and in my opinion the best in the series. Shame that the series is probably dead at this point... I'd love a 4th on the Switch, but without a 2nd screen it just wouldn't be the same.

Main Post.

2. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - ★★★☆☆ - Trophy completion: 35%

Well what to say about this prequel. Normally stuff like this gets criticized that it doesn't differentiate enough. This tries to, but does it in he wrong way. The stealth sequence in the opening level, the zombies and some strange boss fights left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. According to the save i made the end credits in little under 6 hours.

Currently playing:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood > Mopping up some last trophies
Battlefield 1: SP

Original post

Tizoc

Kyrandia 2 is a decent improvement over its predecessor. You have a bigger inventory and there are thankfully no pain in the ass mazes.

The game still doesn't give proper hints or allusions on HOW to progress thru the game or solve some puzzles. Although it does have one irritating puzzle-
Early in the game you must interact with some colored fireflies that flash different colors in a sequence that is randomized each playthough, you HAVE to memorize this sequence since you need to enter this sequence sometime mid way through the game.

Kyrandia 2 does have some good animation and visuals though, but like Kyrandia 1 id recommend it only be played if one wants to experience more classic PnCs.

Dusky

It's about time that I partake in this, I've left my backlog untouched for far too long and I need some motivation to clear some of it down. Hopefully by taking part in this challenge it'll spur me on.
I'll try to add a small review with each game I play but nothing too big. I might add further comments depending on how I feel throughout the year.

COMPLETE

1. Furi - 5 hours.

Thoroughly enjoyed it although there are many questionable designs, especially those forced walking segments. Combat feels good and the initial harder difficulty was just right for me. Soundtrack is of course the biggest takeaway from the game, likely to be my favourite OST of 2016

IN PROGRESS

Owlboy

OP

3. Rusty Lake Hotel(PC) - 2.3 Hours - ★★★☆☆ 1/8/17
Interesting little escape room game that I got during the Steam sale for $1. Had an eerie atmosphere and an clever take on the protagonist. It must clearly be part of a bigger universe, the ending was very sudden and pointed to other connected games. I haven't looked into it, but maybe I will in the future. The puzzles themselves were pretty standard fare, nothing too befuddling, but they were still satisfying as long as you aren't a complete veteran of the genre. I did miss some of the extra ingredients I could have gotten to 100% the game so those were hidden pretty well. Worth the price of admission and the minimal time expenditure it takes to experience it.

DrArchon

OP

GAME #2: Song of the Deep - 5 Hours - 9/10 - 1/8/17

I'm incredibly disappointed that more people aren't talking about this one. As far as Metroid-likes go, I'd rank this alongside Ori and the Blind Forest (maybe even higher just because I love undersea stuff). The OST is great, the story is touching and well written, the narration is up their with Bastion's in terms of quality (though not quantity), and it's full of fun and challenging puzzles.

I'll say that the combat as weak, and while Ori's combat was also weak, at least it was braindead because of the homing attack. The combat here is more challenging with everything swimming around up and down constantly. Also, the upgrades you buy with currency are a little underwhelming, meaning that the majority of rewards for optional puzzles and exploration (which are treasures) are also underwhelming. Still, it's a very enjoyable romp for someone that wants another Metroid-like game that feels like a forgotten classic animated movie.

Dyna

Alright, I'll bite. Claiming this as my main post. The pictures are links to the posts.

nzYytfy.png

01 | Rez Infinite | PS4
~6 hours | Completed Jan. 4th

This was my first time playing Rez but I had played Child of Eden before so I knew what to expect gameplay wise. I don't own a PSVR so I only played it with a controller. Really enjoyed the game, very unique visuals and fun gameplay. I thought this was harder than Child of Eden and I struggled quite a bit with Area 2 and 4 but I managed to get through all of them after five hours or so. Area X felt like a Child of Eden stage, I liked it quite a lot although the free movement was a bit of a trip at first. Despite liking the game a lot, I did have some gripes with it too. It's disappointing that changing the aiming speed and the controls isn't really possible and I thought some of the music was very jarring even though I'm usually quite fond of electronic music. Also some of the unlockables/trophies seem pretty ridiculous to me. I mean, you have to beat the score attack mode thirty times to unlock certain extras? Yikes! Overall I really liked the game and I'll keep playing it every now and then - gotta get those support items and 100% shot down rates!

MCpppuW.png

02 | SUPERHOT | PC
2.5 hours | Completed Jan. 8th

A really cool and original concept for a game. I didn't play the prototype(s) but I knew how the gameplay worked and now that I've played it for myself, I gotta say, it's really damn fun! Everything just works and it all flows so naturally. The levels get more difficult as you progress and you really have to get pretty tactical at times. I wasn't too thrilled about the story of the game, I mean, I guess it was kind of cute and clever but really I just wanted to keep killing these red dudes with my time-stopping powers! Good thing the game allows you to do exactly that since after you play through the game it unlocks a whole bunch of challenges, arena trials etc. I haven't properly delved into those yet but definitely going to as soon as I can. Super fun game, I guess my only real complaint is the price because it's essentially a two-hour game if you just want to play through the story and 23€ is quite a steep price for that. I bought it on sale so it doesn't bother me that much but had I picked it up on launch day I might've been a bit bummed. Whether or not you think it's worth the hefty price, that's up to you I guess. But it is damn fun, that's for sure.

03 | Condemned 2 | Xbox 360
~10 hours | Completed Jan. 11th

04 | Klonoa: Door to Phantomile | PS1
~5 hours | Completed Jan. 20th

05 | Resident Evil 7: Biohazard | PS4
10.5 hours | Completed Jan. 27th

06 | Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash | 3DS
12 hours | Completed Feb. 14th

07 | Hollow Knight | PC
31 hours | Completed March 13th

08 | Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse | PC
3.5 hours | Completed March 21st

09 | Snake Pass | PC
9.5 hours | Completed Apr. 5th

10 | Unravel | PS4
~6 hours | Completed Apr. 30th

11 | Shank | PC
2.5 hours | Completed May 1st

12 | Titan Souls | PC
2.5 hours | Completed May 3rd

13 | Clustertruck | PC
4 hours | Completed May 10th

14 | Mirror's Edge Catalyst | PS4
~12 hours | Completed May 24th

15 | Rime | PS4
~7 hours | Completed May 28th

16 | Wordbase | Android
?? hours | Stopped playing June 6th

17 | Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom | Xbox 360
~11 hours | Completed June 8th

18 | Panzer Dragoon Orta | Xbox
7 hours | Completed June 19th

19 | Detention | PC
~3 hours | Completed June 29th

20 | Thumper | PC
11.5 hours | Completed June 30th

21 | Hidden Folks | PC
4.5 hours | Completed July 4th

22 | The Typing of the Dead: Overkill | PC
3.5 hours | Completed July 7th

23 | LYNE | PC
30 hours | Completed July 24th

24 | Silent Hill 3 HD | Xbox 360
7.5 hours | Completed Aug. 9th

25 | Sudeki | PC
17.5 hours | Completed Aug. 10th

26 | Touch My Katamari | PS Vita
6.5 hours | Completed Aug. 19th

27 | Dark Messiah of Might and Magic | PC
9 hours | Completed Aug. 22nd

28 | NeverDead | Xbox 360
~10 hours | Completed Sept. 9th

29 | Left 4 Dead 2 | PC
52 hours | Stopped playing Sept. 14th

30 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc | PS Vita
25 hours | Completed Sept. 28th

31 | Cuphead | PC
17 hours | Completed Oct. 3rd

32 | Stories Untold | PC
3.5 hours | Completed Oct. 8th

33 | Jet Set Radio HD | PC
5.5 hours | Completed Oct. 18th

34 | Costume Quest | PC
6 hours | Completed Oct. 19th

35 | Black The Fall | PC
~4 hours | Completed Nov. 3rd

36 | Kirby: Battle Royale | 3DS
8.5 hours | Completed Nov. 8th

37 | Sanitarium | PC
9.5 hours | Completed Nov. 19th

38 | Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp | Android
?? Hours | Stopped playing Nov. 29th

39 | South Park: The Fractured But Whole | PS4
22.5 hours | Completed Dec. 2nd

40 | Mini Ninjas | PC
9 hours | Completed Dec. 7th

41 | Picross 3D | DS
51 hours | Completed Dec. 10th

42 | White Day: A School Named Labyrinth | PS4
~10 hours | Completed Dec. 11th

43 | Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero & End of Zoe DLC | PS4
3.5 hours | Completed Dec. 13th

44 | Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World | 3DS
21.5 hours | Completed Dec. 18th

45 | Gorogoa | PC
1.5 hours | Completed Dec. 19th

46 | SIMULACRA | PC
3.5 hours | Completed Dec. 24th

47 | Abzû | PS4
~1.5 hours | Completed Dec. 25th

48 | Epistory - Typing Chronicles | PC
4.5 hours | Completed Dec. 28th

Games in progress:
- Nioh
- Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
- Muramasa Rebirth
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
- Chroma Squad
- Jet Set Radio Future

Flux

Jan 08
Game 3
UFC 2 (Xbox One, from the EA Access Vault)

I considered a complete playthrough winning the belt for my weightclass. This game is not good. It feels like you are trying to control a forklift and the fighting and movement animations are poorly done. It detracts from the fighting, since you can cancel out the animations of your opponent if you both throw the same punch or kick at the same time. The attack will touch the body, but the game doesn't register it as a hit. Same goes with grappling, if you had a big hit lined up, the opponent can just do a grab move to cancel. To advance your character you can play terrible mini games as "training". I just simmed thru as soon as I got the ability to do so.

Other modes were not worth it. There's the microtransaction hell of the ultimate team packaged in all EA sports games and the gambling mode to bet on live events.

Axass

Original post.

Game 3: Her Story - 4/5 - 5:00 hours (06/01/2017)
header.jpg

Completed her story, then proceeded to get all videos. A wonderfully recounted tale, presented in a pretty innovative format, not only for a game, but for any kind of medium. Having to slowly piece things together, with limited tools at your disposal besides intuition and cleverness, and constantly reworking and reorganising what you think to know about the story is a really one of a kind experience: you actually feel like some sort of detective. The acting is spot on, the search feature and the script work together seamlessly, it's clear the devs put a lot of thought in what and how they were writing: you never feel at a dead-end until you "finish" the main game, always having a bunch of new words to search. The story itself has all the elements needed to keep you waiting for more: death, secrets, mystery, weirdness and love. I've been caught off-guard more than once, and I definitely had many "wow" moments while learning about the main characters, especially early on. The main theme is reflected in all parts of the game and the graphical presentation is aptly coherent with the situation we're put in. The ending leaves some stuff to the interpretation, and I really like that in all sorts of media.

This game is:

Game 4: Pony Island - 3/5 - 04:24 hours (08/01/2017)
header.jpg

Completed the game and got all tickets, saw the trure ending. A clever meta-game, with arcade and puzzle elements. I loved almost everything about it, from the minimalist but crazy presentation, to the sort of easy but nicely made hacking mini-games, from the accursed and evil atmosphere, to the haunting plot about salvation and damnation. The meta elements are a constant: you are playing a steam game, about a man playing an arcade, Pony Island, which is just a facade for an evil game trying to consume your soul. All these four layers are always present and sometimes they mesh so well that you don't know which layer you're standing in anymore; i.e. think of the man showing a "real" ticket waving his hand in front of the arcade screen, a ticket that you just got by entering fake Pony Island's options through evil Pony Island, while the Steam achievement flashes on your monitor. The only "problem" with the game are some the arcade jump and shoot sessions, which at times stretch for too long and are too punishing, even though they are nothing impossible to conquer with a bit of patience.

This game is:

Bii

Game #4 - Hexcells
Time: 3 hours

Holy shit this was addicting. Played it in almost 1 sitting, just had to do one more puzzle and then one more and then... you get the idea. Very similar to Picross games, at least in spirit if not execution. Super mellow, great puzzles, I got 100% in it (no mistakes because I always restarted if I fucked up, like with every pictross game) and cant wait to play the others. Here's a little depressing nugget... I had actually dimissed this series as bundle fodder trash and chucked it in my "completed" category on Steam without even installing it, when I did my "man im not gonna play any of this crap in my lifetime" cleanse of my list. Thank god a gaffer told me they were like Picross / Paint it black, that was a huge fuck up on my part lol.

Main Post

If you want more Hexcells, try Plus and Infinite. More puzzles and it took me 5 and 6 hours, respectively, to finish those ones.

If you want more Hexcells, try Plus and Infinite. More puzzles and it took me 5 and 6 hours, respectively, to finish those ones.

Much more challenging puzzles overall too. The toughest ones in Infinite are real head-scratchers.

In a similar vein (though not as good) is the dev's later game Squarecells, as well as FLEB's game RYB.

Baus

Going to reserve this post and try this out. Most likely won't be able to finish 52, but I'll try. My backlog is extremely long.

Tizoc

OP

header.jpg

Completed the final chapter/sequence with a total game complete % of 51%. I didn't do much of the side stuff because of how boringly repetitive they are.

This game is part of the A. Creed 4 series. It carries on AC4's ship battle and pirate themes and elements. The usual trite Ubisoft Open world BS is still in there so you know what to expect going in.
The game's controls are the weakest part of the game, esp. when you're trying to climb as a ledge or grappling could be out of sight above you and your character won't bother to climb until you fix the camera.

I enjoyed it for the time I played but personally I wouldn't see myself replaying it again in the future.

The PC port is odd in that at times it runs fine at 60 FPS and at other times the FPS is erratic, regardless of your graphic settings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

way ahead of you my friend, already halfway through plus. which is much harder and it making me want to die, alone, in a hole out in the desert so noone can find me. I wont jump into Infinite any time soon after this one.

Tambini

Original Post

18EUXxR.png

#5 Mario Kart 7 ★★★★ 3DS - Jan 9th - 9 hours
All cups won but I'll still keep playing every now and then, great entry in the series, always had a preference for handheld Mario Kart

I'm claiming this space!

I've been watching this challenge for a few years now and have been keeping my own personal list of beaten games in a year, hoping I'd come close to 52. However, in both 2015 and 2016 I've only beaten about 15 games across the entire year. However, this year I really want to take this seriously and chip through my massive backlog and actually play all the new games I buy. Here's the list so far...

[6/52]

1. Ducktales Remastered (2013) - Finished 1/2/17 - I'm not pretending like this is the first time I played this game. I had a day off from work, the soundtrack was stuck in my head. It was time to solve a mystery and rewrite history once again. This might be my most re-played game since it came out in 2013.

2. Doom (2016) - Finished 1/6/17 - When I heard they were making a new Doom game, I couldn't be less enthused. I only played the first one a little bit as a kid and only because I wanted to run around in God Mode. I never made any effort to really get into the series, but I couldn't ignore the great reviews and praise for the new game. I'm really glad I played it, it's a great infusion of old school, white knuckle shooter gameplay set against a beautiful backdrop and kickass metal music.

3. Batman: The Telltale Series (2016) - Finished 1/8/17 - While I love most of what Telltale has done over the last few years, I was skeptical when they took on Batman. Not that I didn't think they were up to the task, but since I knew Batman lore so well I didn't think they could possibly hit me as emotionally as other games. I'm glad to say I was wrong and while I still wish they would clean up their janky engine, I was very impressed on their take on Batman lore and some twists they threw into the characters that I did not see coming.

4. Shantae: Half Genie Hero (2016) - Finished 1/10/17 - Wow, that was shorter than I expected it to be, but still a great time. Having briefly played some of the other Shantae games, I was a little disappointed that this one wasn't set up like a Metroidvania, but rather as individual levels that you end up backtracking and playing through repeatedly to find little secrets throughout. Still, the game looked amazing, had a wonderful soundtrack, fun gameplay and boatloads of charm. This won't be one of my favorites from last year, but I'll definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick "pick me up" kind of game.

5. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (2013) - Finished 1/14/17 - I beat Wind Waker when it first launched in 2003 and my opinion of it was fairly low. While I definitely appreciated the art style, the long lapses of time doing nothing while sailing from one area to the next seemed like a waste and I found the dungeons to be fairly lackluster, the stealth sections are bad and the Triforce fetch quest is still one of the worst things in Zelda history. I actually stopped playing it when I got back up to the Triforce quest a few years ago, but hopped back in to finish it out. The fundamentals are still pretty good, as they are in most Zelda games (more on that in a sec), but I still find it hard to believe when people consider this one the "best".

6. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009) - Finished 1/27/17 - So remember when I said most Zelda games have good fundamentals? This is one that does not. I tolerated my way through Phantom Hourglass because "It's Zelda" and there were a few good aspects of it. It's taken me 8 years to finally trudge my way completely through Spirit Tracks. I've been on a start-stop relationship with it for years, playing for a little bit, getting tired of it/frustrated with the controls, putting it away and picking it up again months later. I finally decided to trudge through the end of it and man, was that awful. The final Spirit Tower section was awful, the final train segment was awful and even the final boss, mostly due to touch controls, was awful. Thank god they got back to their senses with Link Between Worlds.

Currently Playing...

Gravity Rush 2
Resident Evil 7
Fire Emblem Fates Birthright

Jawmuncher

1. Resident Evil 7 PC(10 Hours) nice gameplay, story could have been better.
2. Street Fighter V Story Mode (3 hours) Still a fun story mode but Bison is a cheap bastard.
3.Twilight Princess (26 Hours) Weakest Zelda I have played
4. For Honor (4 hours) Not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest
5. Red Haze (6 hours) Spookiest game i've played all year
6. Fire Emblem: Heroes (7+ hours) Not bad for bite-sized FE
7. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (25+ Hours) Easily the best gameplay in the series.
8. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone (2 Hours) Completed the base free game with all trophies, and plan to buy the DLC on sale.
9. Nier Automata (20 Hours) - It was alright.
10. Telltales Batman (10ish hours) - Not bad, but the story gets muddled. Though it had some interesting ideas.
11. Puyo Puyo X Tetris (5 Hours) - decent adventure mode. mainly bought it for the MP though.
12. Persona 5 (70 Hours) - Good combination of Persona 3 and 5 to me. Ready for a new formula though.
13. Arkane's Prey (11 Hours) - Pleasantly Surprised. Better than I was expecting.
14. Inside (3 Hours) - 10x better than limbo
15. Abzu (2 Hours) - Very relaxing.
16. Resident Evil 7 PS4 (15 Hours) - Counting this as a new game since I played it on a new platform and got the platinum trophy for it
17. Resident Evil 6 PS4 (20 Hours) - still love this game and got the platinum again
18. Resident Evil 5 PS4 (6 Hours) - Played again in coop and got the platinum trophy
19. Yakuza 0 (25 Hours) - Enjoyed this a lot and can't wait for kiwami
20. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (8 hours) - Beat the campaign numerous times, got plenty of trophies and played lots of vs. Still a fun game.
21. Darkstalkers Resurrection (6 Hours) - Not a bad fighting game, would prefer a new one though.
22. Hard Corps: Uprising (4 Hours) - Pretty fun, even if I had to grind points to beat the final boss
23. Street Fighter 2 Ultra: The final challengers (3 Hours) - Beat the arcade mode numerous times and played through all the modes with friends. Not bad, but overpriced.
24. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (23 Hours) - Not bad but easily the weakest of the 3Ds titles.
25. Superhot (3 Hours) - Really fun puzzle shooter
26. Arms (5 Hours) - Fun game, but it's kind of light on content.
27. Resident Evil 2 (1 Hour) Tool assisted speedrun. Gonna try for a faster time.
28. Mass Effect Andromeda (23 hours) Far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
29. Tender Loving Care (6 Hours) - Really interesting FMV story on display here.
30. That's You! (4 Hours) Have played a lot with friends and family. Really fun. Almost have the plat.
31. Horizon Zero Dawn (25 Hours) Not bad. Not enough robo dinos and too much crafting
32. Crash Bandicoot (N. Remasterered) (6 hours) A lot harder than I was expecting
33. Crash Bandicoot 2 (N. Remasterered) (5 hours) Not bad but a bit repetitive
34. Crash Bandicoot 3 (N. Remasterered) (4 houtrs) The racing can go to hell
35. Gravity Rush 2 (15 hours) could;ve been so much better
36. Kingdom Hearts BBS (25 Hours) A bit boring to be honest
37. Kingdom Hearts 1 (15 hours) The most enjoyable one so far.
38. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (25 Hours) More difficult than it should be. Riku has the better campaign.
39. Vanquish (4 hours) Short but sweet.
40. Dysfunctional Systems: Orientation (1.5 Hours) A nice read. Hope there is more soon.
41. Splatoon 2 (6 Hours) Campaign was fine. Loved the last boss. Wish it had just a touch more story.
42. 20 Billion Wives (I didn't keep track) Fun clicker game for the phone.
43. Snipper Clips (4 Hours) Fun little game. Better in MP.
44. Player Unknown Battlegrounds (10+ Hours) Gonna play more until I get 1st
45. Tearaway Unfolded (6 Hours) Not bad. Was more fun on vita though
46. Dihonored 2 (9 Hours) Enjoyed this much more than the first.
47. 10 Billion Wives (I didn't keep track) Not as good as the first. The clicker number ratio isn't as nice.
48. Kingdom Hearts 2 (20 Hours) Not bad. A bit gimmicky though.
49. Dino Crisis MuGEn (2 Hours) Fan Made game, which was a lot better than I expected
50. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (11 Hours) Probably my favorite from the series so far
51. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (3 hours) Nice little appetizer for KH3
52. Injustice 2 (6 Hours) Really nice story mode and pretty easy trophies (for the most part)
53. Close Me (2 Hours) A nice little indie horror title. Not as good as Red Haze though.
54. Uncharted: Lost Legacy (8 Hours) Way better than Uncharted 4
55. Rainbow Six Siege (4 Hours) Operations were short but sweet
56. Watch Dogs 2 (10 Hours) Not bad but not as good as WD1
57. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (20 Minutes) Better than the second game
58. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (30 Minutes) nice arcade classic but a bit too chaotic
59. Yakuza Kiwami (20 Hours) not bad but not as good as 0

Tizoc

So I just beat Lilly Looking Through
header.jpg

It's a simple PnC adventure game about a little girl who must save her brother who was kidnapped by a red scarf. She eventually gets goggles that let her
TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!!!
The controls are very simplistic as you merely click on the screen or tap to perform actions where possible.
There is a button to indicate interacable objects.
There is minimal dialog as it is just Lilly progressing through screens to catch up to her brother and save him.
The final puzzle was a little tricky esp. with the color altering needed to resolve areas.
Still it was a nice 2-3 hour game, with the biggest issue being that due to the animations the game will feel slow to progress since you can't skip movement or action animations like in older PnC games.

Non the less Is trongly recommend trying out the game as it is pretty light and the music is pretty calm.

Rhaknar

header.jpg

Game #5 - Hexcells Plus
Time: 10 hours

Welp, that was a disapointment after the first one. Its a much (MUCH) harder game than the first one, and thus, much longer, which im sure the majority will apreciate but for me some of the later puzzles were just an exercise in frustration. The lack of save state (something that is fixed in Infinite it seems) is completely baffling because these puzzles take ages to finish. The new rules did nothign for me, especially the diagonal lines, which basically just gave me a headache from having to tilt my head all the time. Whats next, upside numbers? I was just happy to delete the game when I finished it, which is something you kinda dont want to feel with games lol. Completely turned me off playing the next one unfortunately, since I loved the first. Back to Pain it Back I guess.

Main Post

xealo

#Game 3 - Pokemon Sun, 22 hours, 41 minutes.

1476958093pokemonsun.jpg

Did the pokemon league with 66 Pokemon caught in total as of yet. Will probably come back for post game content later but "beaten" as far as the main story goes.
Big fan of what they did to switch up the game structure with various trials to replace the standard set up from previous generations.
Nice visual upgrade from X/Y, and definitely appreciated it wasn't as easy as Gen6 even with XP boosts on.

If any complaints about this its probably that your "rival" throughout the story is still far too easy going and friendly, and doesn't really feel like one.
The call for help mechanic can also get pretty annoying when trying to catch wild pokemon.

Here's mine so far:
1) Castlevania Symphony of the Night (X-Box 360 version)
2) Picross 3D
3) Mega Man 2 (NES)
4) Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (GBA via Gameboy Player)
5) Mega Man 1 (NES)
6) Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
7) Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

Tizoc

header.jpg

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed is an Action game with RPG elements where you go around Stripping clothes off people in Akiba, now in 60 FPS!
Combat is pretty simple since you mainly mash buttons in order to weaken clothes before stripping them off.
There are some light dating sim elements where the more you choose a partner the more they'll like you and thus affect which ending you get.
Completing the game unlocks NG+ mode which I won't bother with as I rather enjoyed my time playing it but I don't see myself going back to it any time soon :p
It did have a great and hilarious localization though.

Recommend anyone playing this on PC to make use of this really useful fan fix/patch that also enables downsampling
https://steamcommunity.com/app/333980/discussions/0/458604254462038126/

Aquova

logo.jpg

Game 1: Final Fantasy IV

System: PSP
Year: 2011 (originally released 1991)
Developer: Square Enix

Oh good, the little girl has grown up to a hot chick!

Overview
Continuing my playthrough of all the Final Fantasy games, I've made my way to Final Fantasy IV, considered one of the higher regarded games. The story revolves around Cecil, a Dark Knight who is the head of the air force of the kingdom of Baron, the Red Wings. As he is ordered to carry out more and more dark acts, he decides to betray his kingdom to stop the injustice.

Gameplay
Similar to FF2, the story focuses around one character, with other characters in your party coming and going to fill the other slots. I've never been a fan of this style, as it prevents the player becoming accustomed to the strengths of each character. From a thematic point of view however, it works well. In a grand adventure such as this, it makes sense for characters to come and go on your journey. However, I do have an issue about the circumstances in which many of the character leave and rejoin.
FF4 'kills off' many of its characters, only to have them reappear a few hours later. It's done on at least 6 occasions and it really reduces its impact. There's a scene when Cid is killed off on screen by detonating a bomb, but a few hours later, he shows up again having been knocked 'unconscious'. It's unbelievable.

Plot
When the plot is good, it's really good. It's typical classic Final Fantasy plot, 4 crystals are being stolen by the evil kingdom, and it's up to the hero to stop them. However, the plot of FF4 is paced very strangely. The four crystals feature in the plot relatively early, and it feels like the rest of the plot was tacked on the make up for the extra time.
Got all 4 crystals? Well now there's 4 more dark crystals! FROM HELL! Oh, you got all of those crystals? Well, now you have to go to the moon!
I can't talk too much smack though, the plot is engaging and I never became too tired of it, even if it is difficult to follow at times.
My personal favorite moment is how it turns out that the monks you meet early in the game are actually praying for a giant spaceship to rise out of the ocean.

Rating
Above average. Solid gameplay, great visuals, but annoying plot elements and lack of exposure with some characters stops this game from being as good as some of the others in the series. Out of the other FF games I've played, I'd rank them:

VI > I > IV > II

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Aquova

7VBGSEb.png

Game 2: Wonder Boy in Monster World

System: Sega Genesis
Year: 1991
Developer: Westone

Overview
As part of the Sega Genesis Monthly Game Pick, I played the classic game Wonder Boy in Monster World. I had heard of this game, and the series as a whole, but I knew nothing about it. This game is a B-tier Genesis game, where fans of the system may have heard of it, but few people otherwise.

Gameplay
The game is a side-scrolling adventure game, with some RPG elements, such as equipment with varying stats, and different unlockable levels of magic. In some ways, it actually reminds me of Zelda II. While the gameplay is smooth enough most of the time, it does have its setbacks. Particularly, the knockback from enemies can be frustrating, especially when you are required to land on narrow platforms littered with enemies. My biggest complaint came with the final areas of the game, where the level design became rather frustrating, and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
The final dungeon in particular has an area where you must jump back and forth between two platforms. Each time you jump, the platforms move to a new position, and if you wait too long the platform you're standing on will fall. You have to jump back and forth between these platforms up and down a large room, and if you fall, you have to re-defeat a miniboss before you can try again. It was incredibly frustrating from the slippery nature of the platforming and a nightmare to get through.

Visuals/Music
This is a very pleasant-looking game. The playable character is appealing to play as, and the enemies and environments are well done. I'm not sure how I feel about the stubby-ness of the character sprites, but they work well with the general aesthetic.

Rating

Average

This game is average. Aggressively average. Nothing about this game really got me that excited about it, but it was professionally done and I have no complaints to give about it.
This really is a game that I will hold in the future as the cornerstone of what an average game feels like. I don't want to give people the wrong impression though, if you are interested in playing what the Sega Genesis has to offer, this is a game that should be included once you are looking to round out your 16-bit experience. However, I'm not sure I'm going to go out of my way to have it in my collection.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

LightJak007

Neo Member
Completed

1. Final Fantasy VII - 25 hours, 19 minutes
  2. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - ~10 hours
  3. -KLAUS- - 4 hours, 51 minutes
  4. Song of the Deep - 7 hours, 20 minutes

In Progress

• Pokemon Sun
  • Dishonored 2

2017 Game List

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS)
Gravity Rush 2
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Ys Origin
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Night in the Woods
Nier: Automata
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD
Persona 5
Yooka-Laylee
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
RIME
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Crackdown 3
A Hat in Time
Crash Bandicoot: Nsane Trilogy
Tales of Berseria
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Nex Machina
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Pyre
Red Dead Redemption 2
Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island
Sonic Mania
Tacoma
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Destiny 2
Need for Speed 2017
Assassin's Creed 2017
Windjammers
Wipeout HD Collection
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey

Backlog

Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Watch Dogs 2
Oxenfree
Firewatch
Hyper Light Drifter
Nights of Azure
Ni No Kuni
Just Cause 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Saint's Row 4
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Broken Age
Child of Light
Final Fantasy X
Hohokum
Psychonauts
Walking Dead: Season 2
Walking Dead: Season 3
Walking Dead: Michonne
The Swapper

Tambini

Original Post

jsOBpFR.png

#6 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes ★★★★ Wii - Jan 10th - 12 hours
This one took a while to get through, doesn't quite live up to MP1 but still a great game, biggest problems were just the annoyances such as the dark world, the enemies taking a long time to kill and the ammo system. The backtracking wasn't as fun as the first game either, some areas were real slogs to get through. I'll be honest I used a walkthrough for many parts in 2nd half of the game to stop myself getting lost and annoyed and overall I enjoyed it that way. Don't want to sound like I didn't like it, I liked it a lot! Have to say as a GC game it looks better than a lot of Wii games too

Flux

Game #4
Bastion Definite edition (Xbox One)

Played it when it launched on XBLA, but now get the upgraded version free. Been a long time so I forgot most elements of the same, but remember how awesome the narrator is for the game both in storytelling and performance. I think this version added the shrines and arena modes that add more playtime. The story itself takes maybe 3 hours, then you can do it again in NG+ for the alternate ending. Got 1000/1000 achievements in a day of playing so its still not the beefiest in game content, but that works well because it a well told and crafted game.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Original Post

2. Hyper Light Drifter - 9/10, 10 hours

I know comparing things to Dark Souls is kind of an annoying meme, but this game is pretty much the 2D Zelda to Dark Souls' 3D Zelda. The level design and enemy encounters throughout were incredibly well designed and the combat is satisfying and actiony for a top down 2D game. The art style was pretty distinct and interesting. Soundtrack I found a bit forgettable, but it was a really excellent experience that will be fun to revisit.

3. Ikachan - 8/10, 1 Hour

Incredibly short but incredibly cute. A satisfying little game that was enjoyable and didn't outlive its welcome. Minimalism in a game done right, honestly. This game knows it's short and sweet, and it embraces that quality very efficiently. The main theme is probably gonna stick with me for a long time, catchy and relaxing.

Currently playing Tales from the Borderlands. That's been excellent so far.

original post

Game 4: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
- 39 hours

This has got to be one of the only games which got open world just right. It does exactly what was needed for its genre (i.e. sealth games) instead of doing the standard open world procedure. Yes, on the surface it might look like yet another "big empty box", but the game isn't about that. It's about giving infiltration gameplay a completely new sense of freedom. You're practically thrown into big stages, given a specific goal and then you're completely free to solve it however you want. Infiltrating enemy complexes feels incredible when they've been designed to be tackled from 360 degrees, with lots of welcoming opportunities laid out by the developers. On top of that, the things you might pick up through mild exploring constantly increase your set of tools, which open up even more experimentation in your way of tackling issues.

This mixed with the top-notch presentation (from graphics to sound) simply make you feel like a badass action hero. Not to mention that it captures that cold war feeling perfectly. That moment you drag some Russian spy out a military base after alarm has been set, just before your chopper picks you up while playing The Final Countdown. What disappointed Kojima fans is the game's biggest strength. The most badass moments all come from almost perfectly smooth gameplay and your own decisions instead of cutscenes.

I am not the biggest fan of stealth games though and sadly this game didn't adress my main issue either. Sneaking feels awesome, but repeating up to half an hour of it after hitting a "game over" is always frustrating in this genre. The checkpoint system is a mess and probably the biggest flaw. Sometimes an entire mission sees no checkpoint at all, other times they are way too frequent. The game could have been way shorter with fair saving, particularly because 40 hours for a stealth game weren't that necessary to begin with. Still, even after completion I felt like wanting more - it's too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom