• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As usual, going to make my post the same as last year, breaking the format and making a proper list after it all. All in all 2016 was a great year for gaming for me, giving a nice mix of old franchises and fresh faces that I found myself far more invested in compared to last year's affair.

BrjooCD.png
k4KB5kN.png

The Roman Numeral for Ten. The Last Guardian
A Single Intern | PS4

After all of these years it turns out Last Guardian is actually a videogame. TLG is, like every Team Ico game, kept minimalist and simple—at its core you are just a boy trying to navigate through the areas with Trico, your dog bird pet thing companion. While events unfold and more is discovered about who you are, what you're doing, and what's going on, the main drive of the game never changes. On a mechanical level, the game the game never elevates much or focuses on doing anything too outrageous. While there are enemies it's a mostly passive affair more about directing Trico than anything else, and while there are a handful of (surprisingly well realized) setpiece moments the game is typically going at a slow plodding pace. Some puzzle elements are present but, again, it's mostly just figuring out how to navigate you and your birddogthing together.

Having a huge reliance on an AI companion seems like a surefire disaster but it ends up working when the entirety of the game is built upon growing attachments. Seeing the bond grow throughout the game, having you both help each other in a rough spot, even just the general pace of the game while you scope out a room and see Trico do the same independent of you. While there are some natural frustrations to deal with, TLG ends up offering something very unique in the process that you really won't see replicated. In many ways it made my list simply due to how much it stands out compared to everything else I played this year.

That said, it's certainly not the most polished. I can put up with some technical issues but man is this game rough around the edges. The framerate is consistently poor, having some particular standout moments where you can see everything tank and die when you hit some of the bigger outside sections, and the general game feel is just...off. The boy simply doesn't control well, the camera even with sensitivity cranked up is a slow plodding annoyance to control and it's actually surprisingly difficult to get on and off Trico himself. It almost becomes an unintentional parallel of the game structure itself—patience is absolutely necessary to get the most out of this game in some good and bad ways. The natural formation of a connection takes time, but the unnatural judder of whatever the hell the camera is doing when it fades to black and resets comes along for the ride as well. This is a game where I could read a 10/10 review and a 6/10 review while nodding my head and agreeing with both as it has many things I typically can't stand for in a game, but in so many others there's no real parallel to what this game is, which let me put up with more than I usually do. In the end The Last Guardian is still going to be a game that sticks with me long after playing it, so even if there's some rough patches on the way there, I'd say they did a fine job. It could do for a few patches, but this is one case where I'd be afraid to say it needed more time in the oven because it just may have never come back out.​

OdmuHrC.png
3YKhcOj.png

The Roman Numeral for Nine. Titanfall 2
Respawn Studios | PS4, XB1, PC

Ah, Titanfall...back in 2014, this was a very special game for me. Pretty much over the standard CoD MP fare, it felt like a true evolution of what those games excelled at, and bit its teeth into me more than any multiplayer game had in the past couple of years. The fantastic maps, the ebb and flow of the pilot/titan combat dynamic, the pure mastery of gamefeel as you whipped around the maps from wall to wall—shit was just sublime. Titanfall 2 is not quite the followup I expected, but is still a fine game in the end.

The biggest strength here is, shockingly, the single player component. TF1 had some weird attempt at a narrative, haphazardly tied into active multiplayer matches that had critical events happening through radio comms in the corner of the screen. A cute idea, but nothing really beyond that. 2 now has a full blown campaign and nailed it beyond whatever I could have been expecting, taking the great mechanics and crafting some surprisingly creative playgrounds for them. Running and shooting on a factory belt actively building housing facilities, leading to a sideways platformer that peaks in an arena fight at the top. That moment anyone who played the game knows. A well realized and timed power fantasy sequence...there's a lot of punchy and memorable moments dashed all throughout, and their usage of the Titan is surprisingly well balanced. You're never in BT too long, nor does the game make it so you feel like you're just playing a standard FPS outside of him. I'm sure I was grinning ear to ear the entire way through.

Multiplayer wise, the gamefeel is still here in spades, even improved with the addition of the slide, which feels absolutely amazing and even has a satisfying gun tilt animation to follow it. The various guns all feel great to wield and stay true to Titanfall 1 where I found myself messing around with a large variety, changing my playstyle to suit what I was doing--anything from warping shotgunning to stimmed run and gun smg usage. But beyond this, it doesn't take titanfall 1 and evolve or improve it, nor does it take the same game and add more maps. It has some big sweeping changes to the presence Titans had, stripping them of their shields and adding a battery pack mechanic to entice some level of cooperation. Titans themselves are no longer just chassis you pick to mix and match weapons and abilities, they're now set in stone characters of sorts, not too far removed from being a hero character from a class based shooter. To me none of these really made the game better, just...different. The most unfortunate aspect of Titanfall 2 are, sadly, the maps. Going from 1's excellent repertoire to...whatever these are. Eden is basically the one single map I really like, and the rest range from being merely there to outright painful to see pop up (Crash Site, Complex). Considering there's only 9 maps total, which is a piss poor ratio and is the biggest hurdle I have with the game. So many of these maps just totally miss what made TF1 maps so smooth to play—run routes aren't as natural, certain lane based maps get locked down by Titans like Legion who are literally made to control an area. It's kinda baffling. You can have the best mechanics in the medium, but flop on the playgrounds that are needed to utilize them and you're only doing a disservice to yourself.

It's a shame, since when everything clicks, TF2 is an absolute blast. But the ratio of maps is too poor to have kept my attention quite like TF1 did, but it's offset and held up more by a solid campaign. Titanfall 2 isn't the sequel I expected, and in some ways isn't the one I wanted, but I still had a blast with it overall and hope Respawn get a chance at making another, and really knock it out of the park.​

SyjI49O.png
ZlcRpqM.png

VIII. VA-11 HALL-A
Sukeban Games | PC

Valhalla is a visual novel I enjoyed burning through this year, it felt like a game that had a simple idea and knew how to execute it. Put in the role of Jill, a bartender in the year 207X, Valhalla takes place primarily in a dystopian downtown bar. It's actually quite a refreshing role to take on as despite being the main character, the focus isn't all really on Jill herself. You are merely a window into the lives of many of the patrons. This is used to cleverly build the world outside the walls of the bar, and despite being a visual novel, there are no dialog options—instead the game is changed based off how you deliver the drinks the clients order.

As a VN, the gameplay is obviously pretty light. The bartending itself is ultimately a simple menu where you drag the corresponding ingredient into the mixer based off the recipe. Some people don't order drinks directly and instead ask for a taste akin to Bubbly or Sour, and as mentioned above what you give them can alter the events that play out. One ingredient, Karmotrine, is essentially the alcohol being put into a drink and dumping a bunch of that into a drink would be the main way of changing things beyond just botching an order completely. Still, it's mainly there as a means to an end and give you something to do inbetween all the talking. Inbetween shifts you return to Jill's apartment where you can spend money to decorate the room, but mostly to check out apps on her phone and read the daily news to further flesh out the happenings outside.

The bar goers themselves are naturally the draw of the game, bursting with personality and dealing with some surprisingly heavy themes. Even though Valhalla is frequently light hearted, it's not afraid to touch on real world issues both political and personal. Deal with robots, bounty hunters, sex workers and more. It's such an obvious concept for a game that I can't believe I haven't seen it used before, as it works so well for this style of game.

And finally, the soundtrack. Holy shit, it's good. When each day starts you get to set the jukebox playlist, which sets a higher emphasis on the background songs as you're the one setting the tone. These themes all mix and match amazingly well into the cyberpunk bar aesthetic--you can literally just blindly select random songs and be totally happy with each one you add.

VA-11 HALL-A is not a game I even really knew about before I jumped in, but I'm very happy not to have missed it. At the very least I'll be bopping this soundtrack for awhile while getting horribly drunk.​

YzJqzfT.png
HS5KdUE.png

VII. Gears of War 4
The Coalition | XB1, PC

Gears of War is a series I have always had a soft spot for. I tend to prefer third person over first in most genres, and in a world where multiplayer shooters go deeper and deeper into loadouts, unlocks, etc., I've always thought these type of setups simply feel like the rich get richer. I vastly prefer even ground, the idea that a brand new player can theoretically best a three year veteran even if the skillgap obviously will by the decider. But Judgement was...uh, not really the game I was looking for, and 3 came out in 2011. It's time.

Gears 4 is, well, some gears-ass-gears. For better or worse it is basically the exact game you would expect, which in many ways can be seen as a relief when a new studio is behind the wheel(even if a lot of the same talent is present). In both single and multiplayer 4 keeps the Gears formula close to its chest, meaning the singleplayer has a whole lot of perfectly sized walls to take cover on as you fight the totally-not-locust, with the torch passed from Marcus to his son JD. There is perhaps a bit too much of old man Marcus, but I found him weirdly endearing and liked how they handled the original cast, though your main squad with Kait and Del don't feel like they get enough time to really flesh out into their own characters yet. Despite all of this, I was surprisingly into the campaign. While it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it does have a few neat mechanical twists such as the storms and pods that give an increased focus on environmental interaction—shoot pods you see on the wall/ceiling to drop it on enemies or to make some makeshift cover are always fun to mess with and lead to some exciting fights.

The new weapons they added, specifically the Dropshot, Embar, and Overkill are all huge winners. The overkill in particular is an absolute riot to wield—essentially being a quad barrel shotgun that fires once when you hit the trigger and again when you release, meaning you can empty the bullets EXTREMELY fast or hold the trigger for stagger shots. The gibs that ensue are simply magical, and the punchy classic Gears sound effects are here and better than ever. The pop of a longshot headshot, the guitar riff when you clear a room of enemies, the ever satisfying active reload sound. As usual for the series, it all just comes together to create a fantastic playing and sounding game. Everything feels weighty, purposeful.

Multiplayer wise, Dodgeball and Escalation are great new additions. Dodgeball is essentially a blend of Warzone and TDM, instead of being able to naturally respawn like in TDM you are only brought back in if someone on your team gets a kill. This means in a 1v5, a straggler can get picked off and make it a 2v4...which leads to some wild comebacks, and even some crazy back and forths in the round itself. Escalation puts three points on the map to control, and you either win by score or through a shutout, if a team gets control of all three points they auto-win the round. A nice twist here is that after each round, the top scoring player on the losing team gets to actually place a weapon on the map. This makes each round progressively change as instead of rushing points you now may try to fight for map control for a power weapon, or it could just be a mindgame set by the team that they'll ignore. It's a neat way to make each match feel unique.

And after all of that, there's still Horde. Now split into classes (I think Judgement started this?), Engineer, Soldier, Scout, Sniper, and Heavy. All use cards and have different focuses, such as the Engineer being better at buying and setting fortifications, while the scout is the guy who wants to run out for the currency to buy everything. It's, again, what you'd expect if you've played Horde in the past. There's an unfortunate side effect of their loot crate system here hoever, as you level the class skills by cards you randomly get here, which ends up being pretty significant. The standard multiplayer chests only do visual changes that you can ignore but this is a pretty big no-no for me to actually mess with balance, even if it's a co-op focused mode.

Looking at my list, Gears stands out as just being a hell of a lot of game. The full campaign, multiplayer and horde package actually has a ton of meat on it which seems to be an increasing rarity in this gaming landscape. It may play it safe, but if you want some more Gears, 4 delivers that in spades.​

YjlYS5r.png
V5fh8RJ.png

VI. Inside
Playdead | XB1, PS4, PC

Inside is an incredibly hard game for me to write about for a few reasons. First, I don't want to spoil anything...the less you know heading into this, the better. But also, I just don't think I have much to say. Limbo was one of the first indie games I can recall playing that played up the atmospheric 2D sidescroller, and Inside pretty much takes and perfects that formula. It's a game that I beat in one sitting, unable to pull myself away until I saw what happened next. Despite clocking in at a fairly short ~3-4 hours, I can totally see how this took years to make. Each scene feels lovingly crafted and detailed, despite being a 2d sidescroller they evoke a huge sense of place and it's coupled with incredible sound design. There's quite a few interesting scenarios the game puts you through that most other games would iterate upon multiple times, but Inside is fine just leaving this crazy idea as a one-of and moving onto the next. It shows a ton of restraint underneath everything.

And it's impossible to just not mention it, the ending sequence is probably the best animated thing I have ever seen in a videogame. Just...everything that happens. I don't even know. It's certainly going to stick with me forever.

But yeah, that's all I got. You should probably play Inside. Haunting, ethereal, weird.​

0CtTz6v.png
K0ldyox.png

V. Doom
id Software | PS4, XB1, PC

I'm sure it's been said a million times in this thread already—the showing DOOM had did absolutely no justice to the end product we received. That slow walk E3 presser, the pre-release beta just being for the MP component, everything was just secretly keeping this rabid hellbeast held back, catching everyone by surprise and also probably making most people feel like doing cocaine. Or just me. Don't judge me tho. Blame Mick Gordon.

Doom starts off fast and furious, and kinda...keeps doing that. And then there are guitar riffs. Then more guitar riffs and some screaming as you snap the jaw off of an imp. Then you start double jumping and finding secrets, bro fist a mini-figure of a doom guy. The game is just fuckin' fun, creating a great blend of old school doom while mixing it with some modern tropes, almost feeling like DMC/Bayonetta of FPS games where you're given arenas and a bunch of tools to fuck everything up. At its peak Doom is just brutal as hell, you're constantly doing something while in combat and it just feels good to be unshackled away from the hole most FPS have pigeoned themselves into. No need to sprint, you just have actual movespeed. Weapon wheels! HP and armor! Taking off the shackles of regenerating HP lets combat actually have time to breathe, something we have been desperately overdue for. Doom just knows what it wants to be, and does it well. This is simply a game where you kill a whole bunch of shit to a rocking soundtrack, with a plot that is barely present but enough to give you drive.

The MP component is also a thing that exists. Sure does. A bit of a shame the DLC ended up being focused on that instead of giving more ways to kill demons, but sometimes life just says no. In all honestly I actually played way more of the MP than I probably should have and actually had dumb fun with it, but it seemed to have a ton of balance issues(turning into the demons jesus christ no) and wasn't really doing much to keep me invested. It's worth noting that whoever did the animations for the taunts did an amazing job, they are hypnotic and fantastic.

Snap Map on the other hand seemed to be pretty wild, but I didn't get to dabble in it too much either. But I was able to play some weird level where I was growing a farm that had a mine I was going down. So, thumbs up from me.

Overall, Doom isn't quite the well rounded package compared to some other games, but the campaign alone is all it needed. Well realized, pure adrenaline.​

soPnY1r.png
zmeKtwp.png

IV. Stardew Valley
ConcernedApe | PS4, XB1, PC

Now that Doom is out of the way, let me talk about the most savage game of 2016. Stardew Valley on a surface level seemed like a nice little farming game that would grab my attention for a few days, but little did I know the vast vortex I just opened myself up to. This game is everything. You have a farm, but there's also the entire town to build social links, partake in holiday events, an entire dungeon substructure in the mines that keeps going down, fishing, hidden areas, secrets everywhere, an actually astounding amount of assets for a million different items, crafting, animals, having multiple girlfriends at once, trying to uncover the mystery of why Clint is so weird. Everything.

I am still playing Stardew Valley, currently. I actually just got my first animals in a chicken coop, and I've been playing for nearly 24 hours. Yet I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the subsystems at work here, considering there's a plethora of buildings, animals, and items I can work towards. I am currently harvesting the chicken eggs to put into my mayonnaise machine to sell and rule Stardew Valley as a mayo dictator. And that's just the start.

From the getgo, Stardew can be as complicated or as simple as you'd like. Every day has purpose—if you so choose. This can go anyway you want, focus on the farm to start having something obvious to do each day, or neglect it to fish by the beach all day, or head down the depths of the mines. When you're trying to juggle everything at once, time management becomes very important and just getting everything wrapped up for a day feels satisfying and makes you want to keep going. Maybe it's someone's birthday tomorrow and you want to give them a gift, but it turns out it's raining that day so you can skip watering all of your crops, freeing you up to go deeper in the mines. But first you want to talk to Leah since you're tryna' smash. Etc. There are some light story element goals to work towards, and a big split that is either helping restore the town's community center, while is a year+ affair requiring a vast array of items from basically every element of the game, or you can get a membership at not-walmart which destroys the community center and makes way for our glorious corporate overlords. Or you can just ignore all of that, because you're a fuckin' farmer. Who cares what they want, you do you. Plant a million blueberries and become a billionaire.

You just can't mention Stardew without talking about the boppin' ass soundtrack as well. Just a perfect background noise to match the zen-like state you can approach the game, particular shoutout to this magical melody during summer. Or this. Or all of it.

It is actually insane to me that one person made this game. You can just see the passion in every corner, if anything it's a miracle this game didn't become a disaster from having new ideas and trying to shove everything into a game. He did shove it all in here and made it work. Stardew Valley is a goddamn marvel. It's amazing. It's everything.​

Continued here.

Papercuts

Continued from here.

g1DjH5A.gif

III. XCOM 2http://i.imgur.com/Czh3blo.gif
Firaxis Games | PC, PS4, XB1

XCOM is an intensely brutal game, much moreso than Enemy Unknown/Within, and it doesn't beat around the bush in showing this. One of the first missions in the game, where you encounter the first Sectoid, asserts this firmly. This weak ass grunt enemy from the first game can mind control your team. And cause them to panic. And resurrect dead corpses as fresh zombies. These were late game abilities in EU, and now the first enemy has it? And yet, these are still low on the priority list of enemies to kill during battle, which is terrifying.

I would look at Enemy Unknown as a sport where you're playing defense. The power of overwatch in that game, creeping up to try to pre-emptively ambush enemy pods as they got revealed ended up being very effective. Xcom 2 swapped sides and you're on offense. Firaxis have done many smart improvements and additions to the tactical layer, but the biggest impact is how many missions have a ticking timer. An objective you need to destroy in 8 turns. A VIP you need to extract with in 12. A downed UFO calling for reinforcements in a few turns. These all raise the stakes and don't allow you to creep up with a safety wall of covering fire, encouraging riskier plays. The vital piece of this puzzle is the new Concealment. On most missions your squad drops down and is effectively invisible, giving you free reign to scout ahead and see enemies and plan an ambush. You'll see the sight tiles on where you'll get spotted, so you play around that. This makes those early turns incredibly vital, trying to aggressively position a sharpshooter to rain hell from above the moment the first shot is fired, or get a grenadier grenade off on a cluster of enemies at the word go. The concealment extends further with the Ranger class, which can basically spec as a passive scout that stays concealed outside of the squad and can even reconceal—it ended up being a mechanic I really enjoyed playing around with.

Timers in games always seem to raise controversies, but it's a delicate balance that can create something truly great. Majora's Mask and Dead Rising 1 are two examples where the timer adds so much to that game, and I'd argue it does the same in xcom. There are still missions where you have as long as you want, which lets you change the pace of the mission and in a way take a breather...atleast, that's what you expect until everything manages to go to shit anyway because some Archon blazing pinion shit destroyed everyone. But I digress. The only mission type I was a bit iffy on were the VIP extracts as the evac point is pre-set and the moment the timer is up the mission is done and anyone who didn't make it is left behind. That's perhaps a bit overly brutal and felt more RNG dependent since in other missions gone sour you atleast have the option to evac out and fail the objective while keeping your squad.

xdbOx1I.gif

The new/tweaked classes all felt solid to me, as well. The new Specialist added a nice split path spec in either being an omnipresent medic, or a hacking force capable of singlehandedly sabotaging entire groups of enemies. The ranger as alluded to above was always a core part of any squad for the concealment alone. I also am not sure if I'm misremembering EU but the destructible environments seem to be way more vital as a tactic in 2. I always messed with cars in the last one, but here it's totally viable to lob a grenade on a three story building to crumble the floor and make an alien fall to their death. Or, uh, have a barrage of missiles from an enemy collapse it on your own people. Still, always love stuff like that.

And naturally, the enemies. A large array of absolute fucks. Vipers that can ”get over here" your soldiers, pulling them right towards them into a bind. Lobbing poison that taints an area. Shieldbearers who if you don't kill ASAP slam the ground and give additional HP points to everything in the damn area. Stun lancer troops who marathon sprint towards your most vital soldier just to whack and stun them for the next turn. Crazy matrix thing that saps the ammo from everything in an area...and if you stay in that area you explode. These are the early game enemies. They get much crazier. Of course, you have the whole tactical layer on top where you clear rooms on your ship, develop tech to fight against this insanity, and, frankly, get pretty ridiculously powerful yourself. It's just that type of game you can't stop playing, you want to do one more mission. But after that you then want to finish some research to get a squad upgrade on their weapons. Then you might as well do another mission after and see how it pans out. Through and through, this is so very xcom. Each new enemy is both curious and horrifying as you both want to kill it before it ever gets to move, but you also want information on what it actually does. And there's a handful of really nice(in a dick way) gotcha moments that without giving anything away can make missions get really fucking hairy when you follow some of the story objectives at a not ideal time. Despite being a turn based tactical game they manage to really get your blood pumping in a way few other games can.

I loved XCOM: EU, and I actually think 2 is a huge improvement over it. The system wide changes all enticed me towards a playstyle I found a lot more engaging. Stellar improvement over an already strong base.​

5ZxDEUk.gif

II. Hitman
IO Interactive | PS4, XB1, PC

Hitman is one hell of a franchise. From the first time I played Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, I knew this formula was too good to not blow up one day. Though back then, despite its ambitions, there were some very obtuse and rough elements to deal with that stand out a lot heading backwards. For 2 in particular you crouch walk at the speed of a dying snail, and the AI is absolutely brutal at detecting you. Blood Money is the main game people point to, and is a legitimate top 10 of all time for me. The game just gives you a ton of amazingly realized sandboxes, and had a lot of great QoL changes about being clearer on what will set the guards off. Small improvements all end up adding up to a more cohesive experience, and as always the social stealth element that makes Hitman so unique was flexed hardcore there...but the series took a few years off, came back as Absolution. An odd game that seemed to try to appeal to a wider userbase, I guess? I actually like Absolution more than most, but primarily due to just really liking stealth games, and Absolution is actually a pretty alright Splinter Cell-esque game. But much more brutal when looked at and compared to past Hitman games—however, I think it's an important stepping stone that led us to the main event, Hitman. Er, HiTMAN? Hitman 2016. Whatever man.

Hitman had quite the unclear unveiling, but I was ecstatic at the idea. Episodic gaming fits this franchise as well as Agent 47 himself fits into every outfit, tailor made for the unique sandbox experience Hitman has been known to deliver. Thankfully, they pulled off exactly what I wanted. 6 episodes, 6 large sandboxes in diverse locales all across the globe. Each level has a frankly absurd amount of detail within, which is the meat and potatoes of a game like this. Where you get detail and population, you get outfits and opportunities. Hitman has a somewhat varying difficulty scale thanks to the addition of Opportunities, which are effectively waypoints through a specific way of offing a target if you keep them on. A smart inclusion but something I kept off, as I still remember the first day I played on Paris. I took over 2 hours of just exploring before I even made a single action on someone in the level. That's how much you can take in here, the sheer amount of NPC dialog, the pathing of everyone, there's a ton of intricate moving pieces, and Hitman is ultimately a bit like a dynamic puzzle game in that regard. Each time I sit down with a new level, I get a sense of gaming nirvana few other series can tap into for me. I don't even know what it is, but I really love messing with AI systems and this series is loaded to the brim with that. Taking disguises of important people, assuming their role, meddling in their place. It never gets old. Absolution added quite a few mechanic improvements just for controlling 47 himself which are all present here, from the base it's essentially like this Hitman took the design ideas of Blood Money and meshed it with the improved mechanics of Absolution(disguises aside).

lMDckcm.gif

From the first year, Sapienza and Hokkaido are my two standout levels, some of the best in the franchise. The former is just a masterful use of the potential scale the series can tap into, including a large mansion, town, and more just within one playground. The latter is probably the most intimate of the levels here, a more focused down level that uses outfits as keycards to get around in a hospital where you have to take out someone undergoing active surgery.

Outside of the main targets, they have been constantly adding a ton of content through Escalations and Elusive Targets. Escalations are basically a series of progressively challenging hits, typically consisting of 5 levels. The first may be just kill x with x weapon, then level 2 adds the stipulation that you can't knock out anyone. Now level 3 adds additional cameras, and if you're caught you have to delete the footage within a minute. The final level may have all of these, but now you need a specific disguise that's a pain in the ass to get. It mostly flexes the strength of the sandboxes, even though they're ‘made' for the main missions, you can still basically carve out other puzzles within it. Some of these can actively flip the way you normally approach certain rooms, and also flesh out your knowledge of the maps in smaller ways, such as figuring out where specific items like screwdrivers or wrenches are(which can be used to sabotage many, many things in the environment once you find some).

Elusive targets however are a much bolder idea. A one time only target comes in with a hard time limit, and if you fail the mission they got away from you forever. I've seen some mixed reactions to having fully missable content such as this, but I think that mostly stands out because this idea sounds totally throwaway on paper but surprisingly hasn't been. Each elusive targets comes with a fully narrated briefing video, and there's actually a shocking amount of dialog within the levels themselves that are all unique to that mission. I have no idea how the developers were able to okay the idea of missable content they put actual effort into, but hey, it certainly keeps things interesting.

If I have one worry, it's about the retail release. I feel like Hitman has gotten a lot of attention this year (for good reason) but I know many people are just waiting it all to release like they do for other episodic games, but this a game best savored. Getting the brunt of season 1's content at once is honestly going to be incredibly overwhelming. There's a metric ton of Escalations, and if you just sit down and ‘beat' the game with sloppy runs you'll burn through the game like nothing. These are best taken slow, play each mission multiple times, trying new things each time. Learn the maps inside and out, then move on when ready.

Still, for my personal tastes, this was a homerun. If this leads to new yearly seasons and it basically means I have new hitman content every couple of months? If I told that to my younger self that played blood money day in and day out he wouldn't even know what to do with himself.​

zt7jUAd.gif

I. Overwatch
Blizzard Entertainment | PC, PS4, XB1

Overwatch, man...talk about a game that blindsided me in quality. A game that totally consumed my daily life beyond simply playing it—now I'm checking the reddit daily, watching twitch streams, following the tournament scene. Almost every day since I first played it in beta, I've consumed some level of overwatch.

Overwatch, above all else this year, is just videogaming at its most pure. An amazingly well realized, diverse cast of characters, all of which I find fun to play in different ways. A cheery aesthetic with a visual style and UI that pops out to you. That blizzard touch, making this game just feel polished all around. I'm someone who rarely gets that deep into a multiplayer game, but I'm a good 300 hours deep into the OW pit and I still could just get online on a random night and just play it for hours. I can hardly pinpoint what it is exactly about the game, but there's something there to cause that effect on me. Even beyond the inevitable rage that ensues when we have an attack Symmetra for some godforsaken reason, or when you're putting up quad gold medals as Zenyatta. Overwatch is capable of being an absolute blast one minute, and the next make me hate everyone not just on my team, but on the entirely of this planet. That type of rage is specially catered to a game you have to really like to be that invested in it. Uh. I think.

Overwatch caught on so much that a huge bulk of my real life friends are constantly playing it. Like the guy everyone knows who only plays CoD, Madden, and Skyrim somehow also plays Overwatch. Looking deeper into that, it's not hard to see why. OW pulls off the oh so delicate balancing act of easy to get into, hard to master. Anyone can (and will) just play the game, pick Hanzo, and lob out arrows haphazardly. You get that chink noise, the notification someone got eliminated. Even if you only did 1 damage to them. The medal screen, a double edged sword that both makes it so people can't go nuclear when they see how much you're died, but also get a false sense of pride in thinking they're doing something right because they have a gold medal. There's a lot of smart, conscious decisions that scale down to the lowest level of play and make it to at the very least appear that everyone is helping and doing something. This is, frankly, pretty damn hard to pull off but Blizzard did a solid job on that one.

It extends into the maps themselves, the lines basically pointing out where the payload goes, hell, even the usage of sound is used in a way that's both catchy and informative. "It's High Noon." "Justice Rains from Above." "Oh let's break it DOWN." I could quote every single character as they use their ult, from the friendly side to the enemy side, which is actually very important. It's memorable, catchy, but importantly, informative. I know when McCree is ulting, so I know what space I can no longer peek. I know when to go in due to the supports using their ults, etc. It's the simple things that are overlooked, but Overwatch actually is kind of lowkey masterful at teaching through osmosis. When it gets more detailed, it's more you start to realize everyone has a distinct walk sound. I can hear Junkrat's pegleg and McCree's spurs, I know their position relative to mine just due to stellar sound design.

zvc4OWc.gif

But really, OW is a simple game. You're either pushing on a point another team is defending, pushing a payload, or fighting over a symmetrical point. You got damage dealers, defenders, tanks and healers. It's the blend of everything together where the game just comes together. Even the loot box system, something I usually am not a fan of, manages to show up juuuust often enough to entice you to play another game or two just to finish off whatever level you're one. The hooks are already set in place, and we've seen since launch 2 new maps, 2 new characters, and 3 seasonal events. I'm sure that's just the start of everything blizzard has in store, and it's kinda nutty to think that despite all the time I've already logged in this, I don't need to pay a cent for anything they're going to add.

Overwatch is the game you're going to keep hearing about. It'll keep growing and fostering a fanbase in the years to come, and, honestly, I think I'm in this wild ride the whole way through. I'm sure looking back in the future, this will be the game that defined 2016, the one that really took off. I couldn't ask for a better game of the year.​

Aaaand that's all she wrote for this year. The big misses for me this year are Dishonored 2 which I did start but didn't have time to get deeper in, and Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice, a series I always love but I just wasn't really in the proper mood to play a game on my handheld just yet. I really want to try Oxenfree now from reading some of the lists here. And for the parser, of course:

Actual ballot:

1. Overwatch ; We're all goty now.
2. Hitman ; Amazingly well realized sandboxes with a constant dripfeed of fresh content.
3. XCOM 2 ; An iteration and shocking improvement over 1, the most intense game of the year.
4. Stardew Valley ; A game that quite simply should not be possible for one human being to create.
5. DOOM ; A game that knows when to rise the action. And keep rising it. And just never stop it.
6. Inside ; The less I say, the better.
7. Gears of War 4 ; Probably the most complete package I've played this year.
8. VA-11 HALL-A ; Visual Novel with an interesting perspective and a jamming soundtrack.
9. Titanfall 2 ; I will always stand by for titanfall.
10. The Last Guardian ; Still kinda in shock this is a game I played.

Good write up breh. I have to get to VA-11 HALL-A one of these days. Been interested for a while now. Also Overwatch, before I'm the only person on the planet without the game.

That heel turn gif. A+

Catdaddy

1. Watch Dogs 2 ; I'm in the minority that really liked WD1, and WD2 was able to top it – improved on the original in almost all ways. On a second playthrough now. I was skeptical about the addition of the quadcopter and RC racer, but after using them a bit – they were a blast and my second playthrough I'm trying to use those almost exclusively. I just hope the lackluster sales won't shelve a WD3.

2. Overwatch ; I've said I would never play multiplayer FPS on a console – this changed all that.. Still love playing months after release. My go to game if I need to kill 30 minutes or an entire afternoon.

3. XCOM 2 ; Another great ”2" game released this year. Improved on the original formula

4. Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End ; While still a good game, was still somewhat disappointed (at the beginning of 2016 expected to be my GOTY) – wasn't a fan of the flashback levels and addition of long-lost brother to the story.

5. Firewatch ; while I played the entire game on a rainy Saturday afternoon. While the ending was meh – the rest of the story/game was great including the art direction and VA.

6. Hitman ; I bought the first ”episode" after reading good things about it and after playing bought the whole thing. Great add to Hitman series and still lots of fun to ”run through" one of the episodes trying to find different ways to beat it.

7. Dishonored 2 ; about halfway through and having a blast – yet another great ”2" game.

8. Final Fantasy XV ; was apprehensive about the ”boy band" main characters but was pleasantly surprised how well it was handled. I'm 15 or so hours in but stopped playing when I saw SE was going to be making changes to later chapters.

9. Quantum Break ; fun gameplay and the addition of the live action was nice add, but would rather have seen the money spent on a longer game.. To me, an underrated game.

10. The Turing Test ; impulse buy after seeing on sale and reading a couple of reviews. Fun puzzle game that also had a decent story to go along with it.

**All games played on PS4 or XB1

Honorable Mentions-
Titanfall 2 – got it late in the year – but so far so good
Forza Horizon 3 – another game I picked up couple weeks ago – fun so far but haven't played it enough to place it in the list

DemWalls

I don't play many games in general (for example, I've played exactly 10 titles in 2016), and most of the times these aren't new releases, so that I can buy them for a lower price and have them already patched and (hopefully) fixed.

Anyway, last year I actually played more recent titles than usual:

1. Furi ; Great gameplay, an interesting mishmash of genres absolutely unforgiving at times but so damn satisfying, especially at the higher difficulty (which is how the game is meant to be played). Complement this with a beautifully stylish aestethic all around, from the environments to the fantastic character designs, and what is hands down the best soundtrack of the year, and here you have an unexpected GOTY. Too bad it flew under many people's radar, and the situation would be even worse had it not been a PS Plus title.

2. Dark Souls III ; a "Souls greatest hits", and I don't say this in any demeaning way: it's more refined than the previous two games in nearly every aspect, consistently high quality from start to finish, and just a joy to play. On top of this, the art somehow keeps getting better, which is great since the graphics are finally up to par: we've come a long way from the ugliness that is Dark Souls.
Best game in the series, it plays it safe and could have used some interesting concepts its predecessor introduced, but that's a minor flaw.

3. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; a great closing chapter after almost 10 years of adventures with Geralt of Rivia and the great, great characters born from Andrzej Sapkowski's mind. The new location is stunning, the overall quality is as good as you can imagine, yet after Hearts of Stone I expected something more. Not necessarily from the story, since HoS is a very high bar in this regard, but from the gameplay. The previous DLC introduced some interesting twists on the base game's formula, the limits of which we are all aware of (though it's certainly not as terrible as some like to claim), and I wanted to see more of that.
Still, one of the best DLCs ever, especially for that measly price.

4. Abzû ; awe-inspiring in both sound and visuals, though as it goes on it never quite reaches the heights of the beginning again. Cute little experience. Almost too little, one could say, and the gameplay is as basic as it gets, but one shouldn't play a title such as this expecting anything different.

This is rough as I've barely played anything released this year, but here's my list:

1. FINAL FANTASY XV ; The only FF game outside of FF7, FF Chrystal Chronicles, FFXI, AND FFXIV that I've spent a significant amount of time with. It's been a great game.

2. Job Simulator ; While the PSVR version is a little rough this is still the best introduction VR one could have.

3. Resident Evil 6 Remaster ; A great version of a solid game (but a terrible RE game).

4. Resident Evil 5 Remaster ; The Mercenaries United, No Mercy mode is reason enough to buy and play this game which says a lot as the campaign isn't great.

5. Titanfall 2 ; The most fun I've had with a multiplayer shooter in ages.

6. Killer Instinct Season 3 ; The best fighting game of the last two generations gets progressively better. Season 3 characters are still being added. I don't love the Gears and Halo cameos but the other characters they added have been fantastic.

7. Hitman ; the best Hitman game yet. Helmet Krueger is the man!

8. King of Fighters XIV ; Need to spend more time with this game but I'm really enjoying what I've played so far.

9. The Last Guardian ; As someone who enjoyed SOTC but not so much Ico, I was surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did.

10. Forza Horizon 3 ; Best racing game in years.

Honorable mentions: Gang Beasts (which had some great updates this year), the Batman: Return to Arkham collection, the Assassin's Creed: Ezio collection, Jackbox Party Pack 3, Dragon Quest Heroes, Street Fighter V, Battlefield 1, Steep and Doom.

1. Dark Souls III ; It's a Souls game, and a great action game to boot. Probably the best Souls game, but being such an outstanding series, any game is a 10/10 IMO. This game delivered in full: boss fights, bonfire locations, enemies, surprises, invasions, jolly cooperation, all there in spades and excellent to the last minute. Best game this year for me.

2. Titanfall 2 ; Wow, best FPS I have ever played, and that title I thought would be reserved for Doom and Overwatch earlier the same year. Titanfall 2 is simply mind bending. The single player campaign is expertly paced, all the missions are diverse and keep presenting the player with a new way to approach the game. Consider the tremendous boss fights, the great switch in gameplay between being on a titan smashing puny soldiers one second to being a parkour star around a map, and it is just outstanding from the first level to the dramatic ending. However, the multiplayer is not to be forgotten. The balance and fun gameplay maintains its momentum in multiplayer. Calling a titan feels epic, matches are quick and fun, weapons are balanced, and having AI opponents in Attrition is always fun to have. Overall, excellent package and an outstanding game.

3. Overwatch ; Best multiplayer game this year. Overwatch blew the gaming world's collective minds this years, with awesome characters, and supper fun fps madness. Every character is unique, and Blizzard really knows how to make a solid game that engages their player based months after release. Plan to be playing Overwatch for years to come.

4. Inside ; This game is an experience that needs to be tried. I played this a few weeks ago since I saw it on a lot of people's top 10 list. Glad I did. The atmosphere on this game is perfect, the puzzles are mind bending and fun to resolve. Overall, could not ask for a better 4-5 hours to spend.

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Not being a huge fan of stealth/action RPGs in the past I came in to the new Deus Ex doubtful. My doubts quickly drifted away. This game is great. You can honestly play it most ways you want, and even though I tried the stealth route and succeeded, I never felt it held me back. The level design is amazing, probably some of the best designed stealth maps ever made in my book. So much flexibility is given to the player, and options on abilities that the possibilities are endless, yet allow for error if you are not a pro. Very good game.

6. Ratchet & Clank ; Very good game. Loved the action, variety of weapons, and even the story. The game even tells a better story than the quickly forgotten movie of the same name. Also, this game is gorgeous, and is some of the best animated characters in a game, comparable to Pixar levels of animation.

7. Doom ; The surprise of the year. Expected a cash in Duke Nukem shot-em-up, but got a chaotic FPS that delivered in level design, classic Doom game play and enemies. The additional gameplay variations, like the executions to gain health and ammo, made the game frantic is the most awesome way.

8. Destiny: Rise of Iron ; Ah Destiny, how you occupy my time. Being a pretty hardcore Destiny player, I really enjoyed this expansion. Bungie's FPS ae still top notch when it comes to gameplay, so that has not changed. This expansion added some great quality of life changes to Destiny, new strikes and a fallen raid (finally). Reached level 400 with my two main characters. Iron banner and mp matches with a team are still an excellent gaming experience, matching Overwatch in mp FPS goodness.

9. The Last Guardian ; Surprised this game made it to my top ten, debunking other games like UC4 and Quantum Break. There is just something about this game that felt fresh. It is not an action game, nobody is shooting at you, and the world is not at stake. It is just you meeting this large animal, and moving forward through this giant area, unknowingly if you are near of far from your goal (which you do not even know what it is). The interactions with Trico are really well done, and even if the AI can behave oddly at times, when it works, it feels like an epic visual masterpiece.

10. Firewatch ; Excellent story based game. Found myself hooked. Biggest surprise of the year for me, as I often don't like story heavy games, but this game is very well paced, and makes you care for the characters. Short yet sweet and to the point.

Honorable mentions (in order):
x. Forza Horizon 3, Quantum Break, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Tom Clancy's The Division, Pokémon Moon, Aragami, Battlefield 1, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, ReCore, Paper Mario: Color Splash.

I was right to take a nap and then brew a tea before tackling the papercuts list, then I almost spat it out at the hitman gif and then again at the sombra swerve gif.

Man that year was harder than expected.
Persona_5_cover_art.jpg

1. Persona 5 ; I don't know why but i couldn't let this game go. When i finished it after 113 hours i was fulfilled and satisfied. I don't even recall something i was disapointed with aside from the small signs that this game was a PS3/PS4 game and some textures were a little blury.
Other than that , Persona 5 is legit . The soundtrack is LEGIT and the characters are excellent and multilayered. The side characters are FANTASTIC . This game is full of style AND substance and the last 15 hours are epic as f*ck. Persona 5 is already in my top 3 best rpg of all time. It's a game that will shock , that will make you angry , but that will be for the sake of the characters on screen. A Masterpiece.

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; I loved this game from start to finish and i can't stop playing the Multiplayer. A fitting conclusion to the saga and a well polished game overall. No complains here.

3. Gravity Rush Remastered ; Kat is an heroine i want to follow anywhere her powers can take me. The gravity queens is beautifull and the PS4 controls make a very good game to control and the soundtrack is still as good as it was before.

4. BlazBlue: Central Fiction ; Probably the fighter i played the most this year in terms of fun. Blazblue is full of content and his story mode really made me enjoying it . The most polished blazblue experience to date and it's so good.

5. No Man's Sky ; I don't care what some people think about this game. i enjoyed NMS.
yes it's repetitive. but i had fun exploring. i don't need a goal to explore and i did it untill i had my fill.

6. Watch_Dogs 2 ; I spend a good portion of the year wondering what to think about watchdogs 2 and i bought it and i don't really think i make the wrong choice. WD2 is a game that reward smart thinking and stealth. The game is ultra boring otherwise. But it's so fun to chase other players or to do some cat and mouse with the police forces.
futuretone.jpg

7. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Colorful Sound and Future Tone ; It's the ultimate project diva experience ever and i don't think another game is gonna top this one in term of content and features. No bullshit , just pick a song and get good! Arcade style!
and it's brillant !
zero-time-dilemma-logo.jpg

8. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; Many were disapointed with this title. I was too , but just a little bit. In fact i loved everything in ths game except 1 tiny detail. I love it's twists . i love the puzzles . i love the characters. i love the game design of this game. I just hate that it ended on a cliffanger.

9. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ;
Probably the best extension to a game madein the last 10 years , blood and wine is everything i want from an extension. expanding upon his original game with new weapons, new characters , new locations , new everything. Everything in blood and wine is near perfect.

Honorables mentions:
x. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice ; This game is probably the most fun i had with the franchise since Investigation 2 and trails and tribulations. It's really good. Too bad i'm not a fan of the localisation.

x. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation ; brithright and conquest were flawed and barely ok games but revelations is the game that feels complete. Again a total shame the localised were is so full of errors and changes.

x. Root Double -Before Crime * After Days ; Probably the VN i enjoyed the most this year with a great pay-off and excellent gameplay. What a ride.

LuuKyK

I really haven't played much this year, and not all I've played is worth being mentioned in a GOTY list considering good part of it was either backlog or mobile, so mine is going to be pretty short, but whatever:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The only game I was pretty much set on getting at launch since I completely loved all prior entries and already feel too attached to all the characters in it. It felt different from the other games. It took the time to tell the player more about the characters and the exploring was first and center to the point that it was almost too slow at times, but I grew fonder of those moments in between the huge set pieces. The rest was all there, a great story with a fitting and conclusive ending, amazing graphics and soundtrack/sound design, and a fun multiplayer. Easily up there with Uncharted 2 as one of my favorite games ever.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; From the start I had doubts I would actually enjoy playing this. From the not very relatable/memorable main characters to the terrible demos SE decided to show before the game launched and the troubled development. But in the end it was actually a very enjoyable game. Performance could have been better, and the plot/parts of the game did feel like it was put together in a rush. Aside from that though, the animations/gameplay mechanics in general are great as are the graphics and the music (oh my god the music in this game is great).

3. Planet Coaster ; Finally, finally, finally something that feels like Roller Coaster Tycoon in all its glory. Its all there, the customization, the sim aspects (not as good, but still), great graphics and so much fun to watch people react to stuff you build etc. The devs also seem super engaged with the community and are always streaming and asking for feedback, which is awesome. Cant wait to see what else they bring to this game.

Quonny

1. Final Fantasy XV ; After 98 hours, loved 95% of it. A very flawed masterpiece. Fun gameplay, interesting if undercooked characters, and a world that is fascinating. Ending was also very touching. Probably more touching than it actually deserved, but hey. Loved this game, probably my game of the generation.

2. Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization ; After the first two mainline games were mediocre to bad, I was shocked at how much I loved this game. Monster Hunter for babies, maybe, but that's okay with me! The "just one more zone" pull was strong with this one. Oh, and waifus.

3. Stardew Valley ; I'm really conflicted on this one. The first 90% of the game is an absolute treasure. Simply astounding. Took me back to Friends of Mineral Town. But then the last 10% is a broken mess. In the course of 45 minutes I went from broke to having so much money I could buy literally every upgrade, hundreds of seeds, and pretty much everything I wanted. It was a super strange economic curve. But that first 90%? Amazing.

4. Thumper ; My first and only full experience in PSVR, and wowowowow. Rarely do games get my heartrate up. This one shot it through the roof. The soundtrack is something I thought I wouldn't like, but I loved it so much I bought it. An experience you shouldn't miss.

5. The Witness ; A game that made me feel smart. I'm a moron, but this game made me feel good about myself. Besides the swamp, nothing was frustrating, nothing was impossible. Plus the art is gorgeous.

I played a lot more games, but these are the five that deserve to be called out.

1. The Last Guardian ; Ueda's vision pans out magically. A unique artistic expression of companionship. I care about Trico so much. A real bond forged thru play and patience.
2. Rez Infinite ; The only game that gave me chills. Transcendent in VR. One cannot describe the feeling of Area X, it must be played.
3. The Witness ; Played it obsessively. The freedom and exploration was critical to the wonder of discovery which made it so special. There is a place for all games from simple indies to twitch shooters. But treating your intellect to games like The Witness is essential.
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; A game that was both fun to play and an absolute spectacle to take in visually. Failed to hit on epic setpieces that 2 and 3 nailed, but made up for it with an actually memorable treasure hunt story this time.
5. Doom ; Balancing health and ammo with glory kills and chainsaw in DOOM makes for a great system. Exploring was rewarded well. Nailed the frantic excitement which made the original a classic.
6. Ratchet & Clank ; Nailed the moment to moment fun and upgrade progression. Planets weren't too large and nothing overstayed its welcome.
7. ReCore ; I enjoyed the characters and collecting. The core gathering had a Gravity Rush - like impact to it. A really pleasant surprise considering how it was dogged.
8. Batman Arkham VR ; When an elevator is exciting, you know the rest is going to be impressive. The feeling of being the bat was real, and Rocksteady did a lot of unexpected things as it went on.
9. Thumper ; With the volume properly cranked, this game puts a feeling in your gut like none other. Feels like sparring with a heavyweight boxer.
10. Overcooked ; A simple little game but so much fun in co-op. Could have done some things better, but hopefully this is the seed for more to come.

Papercuts

Using Roman numerals for long-form text rankings means that rank 10 would be picked up as an honorable mention and rank 10, disqualifying you for ballot-stuffing.

Oops, thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully Hitmang season 2 enables share play so it can take top spot on Papercuts' 2017 list ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I can't watch people play this game man. That will only make it worse.

1. Hitman ; The best episodic game ever released, full stop. The Hitman series is an oddity as I get in deep with every other entry, to be let down next time. Codename 47? Interested in theory, couldn't get into it. Silent Assassin? The Hitman game to make me a Hitman fan. Contracts? It's fine, I guess. Blood Money? Incredible. Absolution? Couldn't bother to finish it. Now we're at Hitman. What feels like the best, ultimate, and last Hitman game that ever needs to be. For the better part of a year I've been periodically checking back into the game for new episodes, new targets, and community made contracts. I see myself keeping that same pattern for Sesaon 2 in 2017. And hopefully, Season 3 in 2018, Season 4 in 2019, and so on.

2. Deus Ex Mankind Divided ; There's a lot disappointing about Mankind Divided. After five years it's remarkably similar to Human Revolution. In ways it feels a third of the game was lopped off. The chances of a sequel are looking slim. But it's remarkably similar to Human Revolution. The two thirds that are there are fantastic. And worse comes to worse, I'll keep replaying Mankind Divided and exploring Prague and experimenting with different play styles.

3. Overwatch ; I'm embarrassed to say how much time I've put into Overwatch. Last time I put this much time into a multiplayer game, it was when gamespy was a thing.

4. Doom ; Better than I ever imagined a modern Doom could ever be. Way, way better.

5. The Last Guardian ; Two thoughts on TLG. I wish I played it on a PS4 Pro. And I wish I had a dog.

6. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen ; In truth this would've been higher if I hadn't tried to play Dragon's Dogma on PS3 several times before. Technical issues always kept be from fully immersing myself in the game. Always recognize a game I'd adore but it wasn't until the PC port that I was able to sink real time into it. It's a wonderful open world game that excels in its combat and sense of exploration.

7. Dark Souls 3 ; These Souls games are becoming a type of comfort game for me. This year was good one.

8. Uncharted 4 ; Great (hopefully) conclusion to the Uncharted series. I'll admit I didn't find the gameplay remarkable, but it's more than the sum of its parts.

9. Zero Time Dilemma ; Speaking of great conclusions to a series, ZTD ain't one of them. It stumbles its way to closing out 999 and VLR. And it introduces the two worst characters of the series in Mira and Eric. But at the end of the day, I enjoyed the puzzles and experience of playing it.

10. Ratchet and Clank ; It's good to go back and play a good Ratchet game after the seven year gap since A Crack in Time. It help that it's a gorgeous game.

Honorable Mentions

x. Wild Guns Reloaded ; It's a worthy upgrade to one of my favorite SNES games.

x. Dishonored 2 ; By all accounts I'd love Dishonored 2 as much as Dishonored 1, but technical are keeping me from jumping all in.

x. Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight ; I started this recently and won't finish by the deadline but of what I played it's quite good.

FINE

1. XCOM 2 ; takes one of the most successful reboots of the modern era and improves basically everything? Fuck the people complain about the timer so they can't turtle anymore. This is XCOM, dawg

2. Overwatch ;The most loved/hated game of the year. I actually just had a long session with friends that was like this one game in one micorcosm. The joy when your team comp works...and the pain when you just get shit on it and there's nothing you can do about it rip

3. Hitman ; An incredible return to form. To think the people who made this just made a Hitman game with linear ass hallways that end in cutscenes where Agent 47 didnt assassinate anyone!? Better than Blood Money tbh just cuz the controls >> *

4. Dark Souls 3 ; Greatest Hits of Souls games, pretty much all highs and no lows, although it aint nothing you havent heard before a million times.

5. Uncharted 4
; Actually really good and a perfect conclusion to the series tbh

6. Street Fighter V ; A good product? HELL NO. But as a game, a video game, its a beautiful compelling stream of martial art violence that's gonna continue growing for years to come.

7. Dishonored 2 ; Excellent level design, superb world design through its art direction and lore, a collection of hilariously OP powers to fuck people up with. Strong enough to push through technical problems that still hinder the PC version.

8. Titanfall 2 ; Platinum games meets Half-Life 2. The next evolution of the CoD campaign after Modern Warfare from many of the original squad of Infinity Ward. The multiplayer is dope, too.

9. Doom ; Quite good, even if not nearly as good as everyone thinks it was.

10. Firewatch ; was going REALLY well until that ending. Its the journey that matters damnit.

Huh. Not bad, not bad. Big ol softy couldn't even keep up the "I hate nuDOOM grumble grumble" gimmick.

You're not so bad, JC. I mean, except for that one choice, but we all make mistakes.

VARIA

1. No Man's Sky ; A beautiful, atmospheric game to relax and explore.

2. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare ; Best FPS campaign I have ever played. The whole Battlestar Galactica meets Call of Duty came together awesomely with great characters, space battles and memorable set pieces.

3. Quadrilateral Cowboy ; A cool retro aesthetic with unique gameplay, emphasizing scripting/coding puzzles, make for an innovative, first-person experience.

4. Firewatch ; Great voice work, likable characters (with great chemistry!) and a compelling story make this ‘walking sim' stand out from the crowd.

5. Starfox Zero ; A joy to play. This games innovative use of the Wii U gamepad made it feel like I had an arcade game at home.

Papercuts

its in my top 5 and Doom isnt in my top 10, so Im sure you would've been very upset with my contribution to that discussion

but hey how about that titanfall 2 huh

edit: also did you not play Hitman wtf mate

blatant lies tbh

It's okay though, can't hate that top 3, must have taken it and shuffled it off of someone with excellent taste. You don't have to hide your love for Stardew though.

Forreal though I love a well done timer in games. People need to open up more to them, xcom is so damn good.

1. Steins Gate ; Some of the very best writing and storytelling in gaming history.
2. Steins Gate 0 ; A great follow-up to the above visual novel.
3. Final Fantasy XV ; After a decade of development hell, it turns out to be the best FF game in a decade.
4. Persona 5 ; A stellar game in this great RPG series.
5. Street Fighter V ; Great fighter, a worthy follow-up to SFIV.
6. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice ; A fine entry in a great visual novel adventure series.
7. Zero Time Dilemma ; A strong conclusion to the visual novel adventure trilogy.
8. The Last Guardian ; Another development-hell title that managed to deliver the goods.
9. Dark Souls 3 ; It's a Dark Souls game. It's always good.
10. Fire Emblem Fates ; A fine entry in a good SRPG series.

1. The Witness ; Puzzles, lots and lots of puzzles. If you solve a puzzle, your only reward is the opportunity to solve more puzzles. Fortunately, these are some superbly designed puzzles and solving them gives you a kind of satisfaction you will rarely experience while playing video games. Nothing about the architecture or landscape of the island is accidental, everything is a part of an elaborate web of secrets and puzzles that very few players will ever come close to untangling. I walked away from the game thinking I "beat" it only to later discover weeks later that there was an enormous section I missed entirely because I made the mistake of thinking a wire was just an innocent part of the level's aesthetics instead an ingeniously placed clue that pointed to a hidden switch. And this is emblematic of the game's strength, to play it effectively you have to adapt to the game's theme of rationality and logic trumping art and emotion. This is not a philosophy I entirely agree with, but I admire how the game's mechanics reinforce this idea in clever and subtle ways. (The audiologs were too much though.) One of the best puzzle games ever created, The Witness is my GOTY for 2016.

2. Hitman ; Hitman: Absolution broke my heart. When it released, I thought it marked the death of a incredible franchise and that there was no coming back. IO Interactive proved me wrong and they did it in a profound way, all while taking advantage of an episodic model that ended up being a great fit for the game. Bring on season 2!
Here's my rankings for the episodes (because why not): Hokkiado>Sapienza>Paris>Colorado>Marrakesh>Bangkok

3. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; The Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game ever made and so it's no surprise that I had an excellent time with this expansion. The vibrant and fairy tale like setting was a nice contrast to the drab misery of the main game, and I had a great time wandering around the open world discovering things. Although the main quest line probably could have been fleshed out a bit more, it managed to wrap up Geralt's story in a satisfying and touching way. I'd rank it behind HoS, but still a worthy followup to TW3.

4. XCOM 2 ; This game added three key things to the XCOM: EU formula: destructibility, mobility, and procedural generation. These three elements give an already winning formula much more tactical depth and produced a game that I feel is superior to the original reboot (annoying technical problems aside).

5. Shadow Warrior 2 ; This was an excellent year for shooters, but SW2 stands out for me because the mobility mechanics are just so good. Being able to jump and dash around the map is much more fun than just circle strafing. Aside from that, the melee combat is still as good as it was in the first game and guns feel markedly better (especially that shotgun you get early on). There is a large amount of variety in the enemy encounters (much more than any other shooter on this list), and many of the environments are complete eye-candy (if a little repetitive as a result of the procedural generation). Overall, an excellent game, and proof that FPS loot games don't have to be crap. (I'm looking at you, Borderlands.)

6. INSIDE ; I love the art direction in this game, parts of it strangely remind me of Team Fortress 2 with a very desaturated color scheme. The puzzles are very workmanlike, but the pacing and style of the game are near masterful. I had the benefit of not knowing anything about the game before playing it , so the ending sequence had the , ah, "intended effect" on me (ew). I can't wait to see what nightmares this studio conjures up next.

7. Titanfall 2 ; Although I felt the multiplayer was a significant step back, I can't deny that the singleplayer campaign feels Valve-like in a way we haven't seen since Half Life 2. The pacing, the mechanical variety, the subtle characterization and humor, it's an immensely enjoyable campaign while it lasts.

8. DOOM ; I waited a few months before playing this game and my expectations were very high after hearing the all of the effusive praise that followed it. I was not disappointed- the guns are meaty, the glory kills are gory, the soundtrack is metal as fuck, and you can chainsaw demons in half. What's not to like? (The multiplayer, that's what.)

9. Tyranny ; It's a CRPG where "good and evil" choices are replaced with a large variety of ways to be an enormous evil asshole. Plus there's an interesting world to learn about along with some very enjoyable characters. Unfortunately it's clear that the game did not receive the funds it needed to fully flesh out its potential. It doesn't feel rushed, just a tad undercooked during the closing stages. Here's hoping Obsidian develops a sequel with a PoE budget.

10. Shenzen I/O ; I didn't like it as much as Infinifactory, but there's still a lot of satisfaction to be found in solving the open ended puzzles of Shenzen I/O. The best part of the game is the giant technical manual you print out and put in a binder.

HM:
x. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare ; Strong campaign, features 2016's second best robot buddy.
x. Hyperlight Drifter ; Best boss fights of 2016.
x. Darkest Dungeon ; Best narrator voice over of 2016.
x. Quadrilateral Cowboy; Best fake computer interface of 2016

In review:
Bad year for the world, great year for gaming.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Again, I'll be happy to disqualify folks who want to discuss the results.
I know I have asked this before, but do to the fast moving nature of the thread it is probably unnoticed: Do Super Mario Bros. 3's bonus levels from its Virtual Console release,which were originally eReader levels count as original content this year if you are a European, where these levels were never released before?

AllGamer

1. Uncharted 4 ; I don't know how they do it but Naughty Dog did it again. Their games are just something else.
2. The Last Guardian ; The wait was long but it was worth it. Never doubted Ueda.
3. Titanfall 2 ; I knew the MP was going to be great, that was a given but it turned out that this game has also one great SP campaign.
4. Doom ; Another great SP campaign. Maybe even better than Titanfall 2, but Doom's MP can't compete.
5. Dishonored 2 ; Superb art direction and level design. Playing this game is just so much fun with the different characters and different playing styles.
6. Inside ; Bought this game on sale. Should have bought it sooner. Such a great experience. I didn't think they could surpass Limbo, but they actually did.
7. Battlefield 1 ; SP was ok. It's a Battlefield game after all, and these games shine in MP. And there it did shine. Great atmosphere and gameplay and a welcome difference to go back to a WW1 setting.
8. Street Fighter V ; The lack of modes at launch didn't bother me, I want a good online mode and great gameplay and Street Fighter V got those (despite some server issues from time to time)
9. Thumper ; This game in VR...oh man, pure adrenaline
10. Furi ; Fantastic boss battles with a lot of variety. Great that it was part of the IGC.

Also bought many other games like Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Watch Dogs 2, Final Fantasy XV,... but I haven't started playing them yet.

Gurish

1. Uncharted 4 ; even if pacing could be a little better it was still the best and most memorable experience gaming has offered this year, best visuals ever as well.

2. Ratchet and Clank ; I missed platformers so much, incredible visuals, one of the best remakes ever made.

3. Firewatch ; Amazing writing, lovely characters, great atmosphere, disappointing ending. Still one of this years best.

1. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir ; An incredible, ground-up remake of a beautiful but flawed game that removed all its flaws and improved it beyond belief.
2. Enter the Gungeon ; Distilled, pitch-perfect gameplay. Games like this are the reason I play, simply put.
3. Let It Die ; Impossible to put down, one of the most polished and complete F2P games ever, mechanically satisfying on every level.
4. Overcooked ; The best game to play with other people, verbal coordination is mandatory and it feels amazing when everyone harmonizes with each other.
5. Crypt of the Necrodancer ; Now twice as good in portable form, already in my 2015 GOTY list, a perfect match of roguelike and rhythm.
6. Dark Souls III ; Back to form after the disappointing DS2, not as incredible as Bloodborne but still an amazing game.
7. Invisible, Inc. ; The perfect cyberpunk game, Klei proves again that only they "get" what makes stealth fun.
8. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime ; Another game to play with your significant other, coordinating to control a ship is tense but ridiculously fun.
9. Dragon's Dogma ; One of the best Capcom games of the past generation, having its full potential realized by stronger hardware improves it immensely.
10. Super Time Force Ultra ; Possible the best Contra-like ever that isn't Contra, the smart and versatile rewind mechanic is used as the core of the experience rather than a gimmick.

I know I have asked this before, but do to the fast moving nature of the thread it is probably unnoticed: Do Super Mario Bros. 3's bonus levels from its Virtual Console release,which were originally eReader levels count as original content this year if you are a European, where these levels were never released before?

If you have to do multiple mental backflips to justify something's eligibility, maybe you should just leave it be. SMB3 was first released in 1988.

ranmafan

1. The Last Guardian ; There have been many games over the years that have had fantastic gameplay. And there have been many games that have been gripping, emotional, and unforgettable experiences. But rarely have we had both together. "The Last Guardian" is one of those special games where fantastic gameplay and that emotional experience come together to create a true masterpiece. From the very beginning to the gripping emotional climax, I felt I was playing something truly special. Every puzzle you solve, every ruin or tower you climb or explore is rich in detail and felt truly alive. Trico and the boy you play as are two characters who you grow so close to, and care so much for, that by the end you feel their pain, their struggle, and their triumphs as well. I cried as the game came to an end, it was that emotional, and honestly very few games have ever done that to me. And yes the game does have its technical issues, which are a shame and all, but like previous games from Ueda they never really bugged me ever. Truly this game is a classic, a masterpiece that will be viewed for years to come as a wonderful game and a wonderful story. It far surpassed the hype that it had built up over its long development. Simply put, one of the most emotionally gripping and enjoyable games I've had the pleasure to play. A marvelous masterpiece!

2. Persona 5 ; Western gamers, you are in for a real treat this year. Persona 5 is the JRPG we we're all waiting for, and it more than delivered on its promise. Everything that Atlus does best is on display in this game, and improved greatly from their previous games. A fantastic story, that has relevance to current issues and problems that many people in Japan face. One that is also a bit darker and so interesting. Wonderful characters you want to know so much about, voice acted by an amazing cast. Catchy music that never gets tiring from listening to. Fantastic graphics and visual look. Incredible dungeons and game play. It has it all. A polished JRPG masterpiece, one which I'm still slowly playing through today. Everything comes together to make for the best package of story, visuals, character, and gameplay in a JRPG this year. Just like last years (in Japan at least) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Atlus has shown they are the best at this genre by far right now.

3. Final Fantasy XV ; When I think of Final Fantasy, I always think about how each title has its own look and feel. It's own gameplay uniqueness to it. It helps make each game special. FFXV is no different. We are given a fantastic open world to explore, with a new and incredibly fun action RPG esthetic to enjoy. The characters of Noctis and his buddies, throughout the journey you take with them, grow to be friends in the game, but also feel like buddies you would know in reality. Not to mention a great soundtrack and some of the most amazing dungeons ever created, and some incredible visuals as well. The only downside is the amount of story that seems to have been ripped from the game. It's a big downer in an otherwise fantastic game. But even with that huge chunk missing from the game, it still was an amazing game to play through and easily in the top three this year for me.

4. Uncharted 4 ; The final chapter in one of gamings great sagas was as wonderful of a conclusion to a story that one could ask for. Playing as Nathan Drake going on one last great adventure was as enjoyable and amazing as the other four games in the series has been. So many great set pieces, secrets, ruins to discover, and most of all great characters and acting that pull you in from start to finish. And that epilogue was a perfect final word on one great epic. It's sad that the story of Nathan Drake is finished, but what a ride it has been, and what a game this was.

5. The Witness ; Just a tad over twenty years ago, I was mesmerized by the great adventure/puzzle game Myst. Traveling it's mysterious Island, solving all of its great, and insanely crazy puzzles, was a gaming highlight for me at the time. Now over two decades later we got a spiritual successor to it that I've always wanted. The witness gave you everything Myst did, the mysterious world to explore, the incredible and difficult puzzles, and the sense of enjoyment solving them. And most of all it had the wonder that came from experience all of that, just as Myst did. A fantastic game that's challenging and at times awe inspiring.

6. Dragon Quest Builders ; I've always respected Minecraft and enjoyed a bit of what I've played of it. However I've never really been a huge fan of it. I've always found it to be way to cumbersome, complicated, and at times a little boring. I like the idea of building but I wanted more from it. I never expected that Dragon Quest would be the series that would make that happen. Dragon Quest Builders makes building games like Minecraft into a much more enjoyable experience. Easy to understand goals, commands, and instructions are added here that I so desperately wanted in Minecraft. But added to that is the world of dragon Quest which completes the package. The dragon Quest world and its characters are one of the best in gaming and bringing it to this type of game seemed at first crazy, but works so well in the end. Easily my surprise of the year, a great game everyone should give a chance to.

7. Overwatch ; When overwatch was originally unveiled, I was very unimpressed. The original trailers showing off the characters just didn't do it for me. And yet as time went on, and more trailers came out and more hype built up, I started to notice I was beginning to get a little interested in it after all. I now liked the look and the characters, and I wanted to try out the game after all. So I took a chance and bought the game, and wow I was surprised at the result. A competitive shooter that I actually enjoyed for the competitiveness. The characters were all so charming, and so unique that I was taking my time trying to play them all. Every game I've played of overwatch has been fun, which even for other multiplayer shooters I've liked has not always been the case. I was glad I gave this game a shot. It's a fun little title I'm sure I'll enjoy for years to come.

8. Inside ; It's amazing how well a story can be told even without a single word being spoken. Inside does that with it's eerie world you traverse through, solving its many well thought out and placed puzzles. Every moment in the game oozes style, and a sense of horror. You never know what's all going on during your journey, and even after my first play through I'm still not sure what it was all about. But it was an amazing experience, that melds a great story, atmosphere, and well thought out game design. And it's length is perfect for the game it is. One in which I plan on going for the secret ending very soon.

9. Doom ; For me, when I think First Person Shooters, I always think of Doom first. The original was and still is one of the most fun games I've ever played. This new incarnation of Doom, was a fantastic modern interpretation of this great series. Incredibly fast gameplay, fun to pick up and play at anytime. A fantastic single player experience that feels so great, and sits alongside the classics of the genre. The fact it doesn't take it self too seriously, and relishes in it's sci-fi setting and world is so much of a breath of fresh air in a genre full of modern military shooters that get boring so quickly. Doom is like the past brought to the future. A great ride!

10. No Man's Sky ; In last years most anticipated game vote, I listed No Man's Sky number 1 with a note that it was my most anticipated game, and my most feared. There's no denying that the game we got at release was missing so much of what was hyped up by so many. In many ways that led to some of my fears coming true. However even with its shortcomings, I found a game that I was enjoying tremendously. I loved traversing the cold desolate reaches of space. I loved going to strange planets and just waking around and seeing what I could discover. I loved the space battles, small as they were at the time, that I encountered on my journey. And while the story presented in the game was short and a tad disappointing, the story I built in my imagination while playing the game was a fun experience. That's something that I remember having in games back in the old Atari/intellivision/coleco/c64 days a lot, and something I enjoyed quite a bit then. It was nice having a game that needed my imagination like that. No Man's Sky is flawed, but I can't deny I've had a blast with it this year and it certainly deserves to be in my top 10. And with its updates, I hope it's future is bright!

Honorable Mentions
x. Battlefield 1 ; fantastic campaign, and the World War I setting was a refreshing change from modern military shooters.
x. Titanfall 2 ; another great campaign and a fun multiplayer experience. The mech combat was a blast.
x. World of Final Fantasy ; A great, cute, classic style final Fantasy game with so much wonderful fan service to enjoy.
x. Ys VIII ; barely missed my list, but a fantastic action RPG. Falcon does it again as they always do. I can't wait for the PS4 version.
x. Pokémon Go ; allmost made my top ten list. No Pokémon game gained my interest as much as this one has. It's a fantastic phenomenon that was fun to play and experience with so many others.
x. Uppers ; a simple forgotten little Vita brewer that for some reason I enjoyed a lot. A bit easy and silly but I got a kick out of it for sure.
x. Servered ; fantastic dungeon crawler that uses the touch screen on the vita to great effect.
x. Dragon Quest Heroes II ; an improvement on the first game in every way.

Well that's my list. For the most part it wasn't too hard to decide on this year, although only nine titles on my list were certain to make it and it took a little thought into what the last game in my list would be and what place it would be. Also shocking that I didn't put Shin Megami Tensei IV The Final in there as the original was my game of the year in 2013 but even though I got the game at Japanese launch it came out at a bad time for me and I simply didn't get to play it but for a few moments. Something I plan on fixing this year now that I have time for it. But I'm happy with what I've chosen. Overall an amazing year, one of the best game wise we've had in a long while.

Yoshi

If you have to do multiple mental backflips to justify something's eligibility, maybe you should just leave it be. SMB3 was first released in 1988.

Yes, it was, but the "DLC" is new content (~40 levels) developed for the eReader in the GBA version which was never made available in Europe before 2016.

Perhaps 2017 will give me the mighty JC list I crave, actually kinda swerved that Dark Souls 3 ended up as high as it did for you.

Yes, it was, but the "DLC" is new content (~40 levels) developed for the eReader in the GBA version which was never made available in Europe before 2016.

Those 40 levels still hold up after a glut of NSMB titles gave me the new 2D Mario fix the GBA never did? because I can always go for more 2D Mario.
ALWAYS

1. Kirby Planet Robobot ; Just a pure joy to play from start to finish. The most fun I've had this year
2. Forza Horizon 3 ; I haven't enjoyed a racer this much since Burnout 3.
3. Bravely Second End Layer ; less tedious and more fun than the original.
4. Steins Gate 0 ; a depressing, charming, dramatic and joyful complement to the first.
5. Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Wii U ; removing motion controls made this edition super fun for me. I liked every single sport, and while it sucks there are no dream events, the battle versions of Rugby, Volleyball and Football were amazing replacements.
6. Pokemon Sun ; I found it took me a while to get into it, but when I did I appreciated the deviation from the stock Pokemon formula they had stuck to for far too long, and hope they take even bigger risks in the future.
7. The Last Guardian ; this had its issues (damn you, diving section!) but I played through in two sessions because it was so compelling.
8. Gears of War 4 ; I don't even like shooters, but the Gears games are mindless blockbuster fun, and this one delivered that big time.
9. World of Final Fantasy ; the best Final Fantasy experience of 2016 by far.
10. ReCore ; surprisingly fun N64 throwback action platformer.

Yoshi

Perhaps 2017 will give me the mighty JC list I crave, actually kinda swerved that Dark Souls 3 ended up as high as it did for you.

Those 40 levels still hold up after a glut of NSMB titles gave me the new 2D Mario fix the GBA never did? because I can always go for more 2D Mario.
ALWAYS

Definitely, yes, it is very creative, surprisingly challenging and combines elements from all 2D Mario titles on GBA (SMB2, SMB3, SMW, Yoshi's Island). Of course, the new things from NSMB cannot be found here. However, there are advance coins that are very similar in nature to the star coind in NSMB and I think this is the first time this concept was used.

Definitely, yes, it is very creative, surprisingly challenging and combines elements from all 2D Mario titles on GBA (SMB2, SMB3, SMW, Yoshi's Island). Of course, the new things from NSMB cannot be found here. However, there are advance coins that are very similar in nature to the star coind in NSMB and I think this is the first time this concept was used.

Neat, I could always use more turnip and radish plucking in my games and that's my takeaway from this.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; copy-paste from when I beat it:

I beat it, and I loved it.

It's easily the best Uncharted game for me so far, with the sheer spectacle that this franchise has thrilled us for so many years balanced with the more grounded, emotional weight that The Last of Us delivered on not too long ago. Just as that game demonstrated new graphical heights on the PS3, this game does the same for the PS4, astounding me time after time with what's possible on this already aging technology (PS4K owners are in for a treat).

Yet for as virtuoso as Naughty Dog has been graphically, it's their gameplay that has received, rightfully or not, lots of flak over the year. Drake's Fortune was riddled with problems on that front, but as I have an endearment to that game I don't necessarily view Among Thieves as a huge leap over it. Yet I appreciate those comments, because it's easy to see that massive of a leap from Drake's Fortune to Among Thieves as there is to that classic and A Thief's End. No longer are we riddled with wimpy guns, extremely binary or even singular solutions to many scenarios, but instead revamped sound effects, aiming, feedback, and plenty other mechanics bolster an extremely strong set of combat encounters. These all add up to be a missing puzzle piece Naughty Dog almost desperately needed, not for their sake - their critical acclaim and pride is obviously something a sole internet post means nothing to - but for the sake of their games' longevity. Whereas the titles in the Nathan Drake Collection will be discussed as ranging from all ends on the gameplay front, A Thief's End is bound to be more pristine as time goes by.

This is also thanks to some extraordinary encounter design in combat. Drake's Fortune and particularly Among Thieves grasped at a few great moments regarding the vertical nature of this series, while Drake's Deception delivered a single memorable fight that was unfortunately placed in a filer section of the game. Uncharted 4 isn't content with showing potential. It thrives in greatness. The long development period for this game pays off with the incredible levels meticulously crafted for variability. It would be ill conceived to describe them as sandboxes; they're more like playgrounds, where you can stealth your way through a few baddies, get spotted, swing on a rope, punch a dude in the face, grab his gun, shoot some people, lurk back in the grass out of the line of sight, and so on. Yet this is no guaranteed order - oftentimes it's not required to kill anyone at all. The stealth is fairly vanilla, relying on basic line of sight tricks and attention gauges on the enemies - their AI is the least impressive during these phases - but it is extremely difficult to pull off (on Hard) at times because of the number of enemies in the large levels you're given. You are gonna get spotted, which is why the way levels are layered with two, three, even four layers, some of which may be water or other variables, allows for all sorts of dynamic gameplay. You won't be standing in one spot, you won't be cover shooting all the time, just because the nature of this game is to get you moving across this ensemble of great encounter designs.

It feels like some sort of magic, the way that Naughty Dog continuously one-upped these encounters one after another, until eventually the ending started to come to. Before that though, there's a lot more to digest than just the way Drake kills hundreds of people. For starters, the game itself is more layered, having chapters that are devoted to the act of exploration. Yes, we've seen this before, but this isn't Naughty Dog's hand-holding definition of exploration, but a more freeform method of exploring your surroundings, gathering your bearings, and pacing the adventure. Moments of sudden discovery, basically by default thanks to the story, still exit. Stairs are still going to be hidden in the ground as the crew discovers this one hint at a time. But when Drake, and thus the player, is allowed to traverse small islands a la Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or drive around large plains discovering clues, there's a certain respect felt that the mentality of a railroad-driven narrative isn't priority; rather, the ability to set your own pace and the genuine satisfaction of finding out a location on your own is. Nothing here is drastic because ultimately this is still an Uncharted game, where the cacophony of gunfire and grenades echo long after they end. But Naughty Dog shows that you don't need to be killing something to be having fun, nor does something need to explode or a stupidly easy puzzle be solved for them to move a story along for the fourth time. They set out to achieve some variety, and they did it very well in Uncharted 4.

The other small bits of variety we've seen in the past, the puzzles and climbing, have both been improved upon. The puzzles are fewer in number, yet higher in quality, though no Uncharted prior set the bar there that high. You won't be taxed mentally, but at least you feel tested. The climbing is unfortunately the most routine part of the game, mostly hitting par for the series while occasionally challenging me to explore alternate paths. I enjoyed the views it seems only Naughty Dog's creative minds deliver, now on the PS4, but getting there is relatively standard fair, now mixed in with some crate sections inspired by The Last of Us. You do get the new hook in this game, which brings up a HUGE amount of questions for the past game (a topic for later), but this adds more non-linear function to the combat. In traversal, it's more of all-or-nothing fair; either you need it or you don't. The jarring way Naughty Dog's handholds blatantly stick out in otherwise natural environments is still here, but this is a relatively petty complaint that I'm not dwelling on.

Level sizes in general has increased, and while it's not necessarily a good thing in most games, capable hands here have made sure that they are fleshed out by both gameplay, as mentioned above, and story. I really liked the story of A Thief's End, cliches and all, with backstories being detailed and relationships being tested and nurtured very naturally. The banter, and the way it's so natural, is brilliant, quite second to none in anything I've ever played. We easily avoided another Drake's Deception, where large set pieces came for the sake of being large set pieces and important plot points suddenly became trite, while also maintaining the heart that the first two games brought. When you're exploring these larger levels, you're discovering more, you're tumbling more, you're achieving and losing more, and the characters are all written to reflect this. It's more about the journey than the destination than ever before, with focused events all taking precedence over whatever MacGuffin is at the end. While I'll wait for a later period to discuss the story, the destination is indeed quite Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann, playing with your expectations throughout. I was nervous about the ending as the later chapters popped up, but I was confident in their ability for this to a thief's end, and I think they delivered. Very much so.

The set pieces here will linger in my memory in a positive light only matched, if matched at all, by Among Thieve's best sections, the characters and their genuine sense of camaraderie and sanguine natures in the thick of things give me the vibes I loved in Drake's Fortune, the exploration showed to me that the ideas brought up by Golden Abyss weren't just a proxy of the Vita's inputs, and for what it's worth, we avoided and even helped flesh out the worse parts of Uncharted 3.

Because it has to be said, it's not a perfect game, with the narrative winding down to a strange pace with uneven ideas before a beautiful epilogue. Some of the chapters will certainly be a pain on Crushing, and the cinematic walking and climbing, something I didn't mind, will definitely irk some. I also wish there was a little less fat on the less bombastic parts at times, just because they lead to intense, unique moments that are shining aspects of the game. It is, however, one of the best games I have ever played, capable of delivering on so many fronts that I didn't know Naughty Dog was capable of.

A new bar has been raised, and a saga has concluded. And I was damn happy to be part of it.

2. Doom ; I fucking loved it, and I bought it again to play on PC this year. Yay 60 no frills FPS action!

3. The Last Guardian ; it was worth the wait. $60 pre-order been placed seven years ago, that GameStop closed down, etc. It's been great. I loved it.

4. Hitman (2016) ; the level quality being inconsistent affects where it's placed, but the great ones, Sapienza in particular, are fantastic. Can't wait for Season 2.

5. Ratchet and Clank (2016) ; it was like Doom, but in TPS, in how no-frills it is. Really fun game fam. Way better than the PS3 ones.

No Clank doesn't hurt me, btw. Those sections sucked.

6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Basically Human Revolution, but refined with less heart. I might replay it down the line to get more mileage out of it.

7. Titanfall 2 ; fun single player, Effect and Cause wasn't that great, calm down though. Barely scratched the MP and don't intend to, not on console anyway.

8. Superhot ; fun stuff, awful hamfisted narrative. If anything, I want to try it in VR more than I want to replay what we got in 2016. Still, the concept is done remarkably well, but the story is done with the grace of Hideo Kojima.

9. Overwatch ; I enjoyed what I played of it, but I want to play more on PC. 26 - 0 with Bastion on PS4 though bay beeeee

10. Dark Souls 3 ; I only made through nine hours before losing my save due to it not having Steam Cloud and me being impatient while building my new PC. It's still Dark Souls, but for the first time for me, at 60 FPS. I can't ask for much more, except an interconnected world and bonfires being of better use. So it's a worse Dark Souls, which is to say, still a really good time.

I also played The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human for a bit, and it's really good. TOXIKK is a really cool game for being free, but I need more hands on before I put it on any list. Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Zero Time Dilemma were both alright, but disappointing entries in their series. Gears of War 4 (its campaign at least) and Quantum Break were both bad games. I'm not finishing ReCore, not when it plays that poorly, and I only scratched the surface of Watch Dogs 2, Forza Horizon 3, and god knows what else, thus them not being here.

1. Pokémon Sun and Moon ; The first Pokémon game that I was so invested in since...gen 3, I believe? The game hit all the right notes for me, from the incredible tropical atmosphere of the region, to all the refinements and QoL improvements. All the small changes did wonders in having me enjoy the game as much as I did. I don't normally keep playing games I finished, but I've almost hit 300 hours of playtime doing nothing but breeding optimal Pokémon, shiny hunting and cursing at the Battle Tree and cheating AI.

2. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth ; A nostalgic trip. Cyber Sleuth reminded me why I loved Digimon so much as a kid, and it's been a real treat reflecting on my childhood. The game scratched the monster raising RPG itch that I've been craving for a while, with an addicting evolution system and a fun turn based combat. It's a game that I look back to fondly.

3. Street Fighter V ; For all its faults, I really enjoyed the game. It nailed the "oomph" factor, between the feedback of hits and the incredibly animated characters. It's an immensely satisfying game to just play in spite of its simplicity, and every character feels unique and different to play because of that even if they're simplified compared to past iterations. I'm really excited to see the game grow and get the improvements it desperately needs.

4. Pokkén Tournament ; A Pokémon fighting game is practically my dream game. While this isn't exactly what I imagined it to be, I was pretty surprised at how fun it is. The game is really solid at its base and a good proof of concept, and I can't wait for it to hopefully get a sequel that improves on it and give us a bigger roster.

Hardly the only games I played this year, but they were the only ones I ended up liking. I had fun with Overwatch initially but came out of it feeling rather sour on it. :<

Macstorm

1. The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel II ; (Vita) I'm a Trails nut, and this game hit all the right notes for me. SC is still my favorite so far, but Cold Steel II did everything the first game did, but better. The end game pacing (side story and prologue dungeon) was a bit problematic, but they seem to help set up the next game well enough. I love this game's huge cast of characters and the story is just crazy and jaw dropping at times. Love the way this series twists around and around on itself, yet still remains coherent despite that. It was outstanding and easily my top pick of the year.

2. Final Fantasy XV ; (PS4) I was torn on this one before launch, because I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but had little interest in Versus when it was still a thing and even less in anything Nomura directs. All that aside, I took FFXV on its on merits instead of the ten years of repression that hovered around it and loved it. Yes, it has some low points in the storytelling and the side characters needed more development. I can accept that when it nails the brothers-in-arms part so well. Noctis became one of my favorite Final Fantasy protagonists by the end of the game. His relationship with the other three guys felt more natural that I expected and the bonding that took place between then during the game was great. Loved it and the combat way more than I thought I would, so this one just caught me off guard with how much I enjoyed it.

3. Batman: The Telltale Series ; (PS4) While I'm not a big Batman fan, I love about everything Telltale has released since The Walking Dead Season One. This one really took the Batman formula and twisted things around a good bit, especially by allowing you to decide if you wanted to engage people at Bruce Wayne or Batman. The story was solid and offered some of Telltale's best fighting scenes so far. The ending confrontation was almost as amazing as the final Tales from the Borderlands battle. Good stuff.

4. Mercenaries Saga 3 ; (3DS) Mercenaries Saga is a series I'd completely dismissed until near the end of the year. As MS3 was getting ready to release, I was pointed toward the MS2 demo which I played and loved. I played through 2 and 3 back to back in Dec and have a major crush on these lower budget titles. The story won't win any awards, but the game is solid, straightforward TRPG good that reminds me of Vandal Hearts and Shining Force. Highly recommended, and they are cheap, too!

5. Dark Souls III ; (PS4) Until the end game sections this would have been much lower. I rushed through it in about 20 hours and then found a new love in helping others with bosses for another 20 hours. Might have been the weakest Souls game, but even a weak Souls game can top a lot of the other stuff out there for me.

6. SteamWorld Heist ; (Vita) A turn-based strategy game about robots shooting hats off one another sounds great. Thankfully, this game was that and much more. Loved the design and pacing of this much more than Dig, which I never really found my focus in.

7. Bravely Second: End Layer ; (3DS) While not as fresh as Default, it fixed most all of the problem I had with the original game. It might have been even higher on this list if it hadn't been directly tied to Bravely Default and had some something new in terms of the story and job classes.

8. Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics ; (Vita) Not a typical roguelike by far, but the twist this took on the subgenre got me hooked into doing a lot of pick up and play quests.

9. Hue ; (Vita) This felt a lot like a colorful Limbo, if only I had enjoyed Limbo like I did this game. The puzzles were straightforward mostly, but the color changing added a nice layer of difficulty.

10. Hitman Go ; (Vita) A fun little mobile puzzle game ported to Vita. It was a nice change of pace and the puzzles were pretty challenging without being too tough.

Honorable Mentions
x. Grand Kingdom ; (Vita) This seems to be highly overlooked, but I had a blast with it. Just haven't gotten far enough it it yet. A little grindy, but still quite unique.

x. Dragon Quest Builders ; (Vita) I really enjoyed what I played of DQ Builders, but I didn't get far enough into it to fairly rate it in my top 10 since I only ranked the games I finished.

1. Doom ; Couldn't really have asked for anymore from Doom. Its fantastic to play, and equally fantastic to look at. There is very little filler with Doom. Everything seems to exist in the game for the purpose of making it fast, frantic and tactical. And goddamn at the music. Its so intense I can only play for an hour or so at a time.

2. Overwatch ; I just love how accessible Overwatch is. Its a shooter in which almost anyone can find a character that suits their preferred play-style, and they are all perfectly valid. Blizzard have done a fantastic job of ensuring the game has plenty of depth, and is accessible. I don't think I've ever played a shooter as welcoming as Overwatch.

3. The Last Guardian ; Trico is my favourite videogame character in years. Ueda and his team have done an incredible job of making it behave like a real, living breathing animal, which is why the bond between the player and Trico feels special.

4. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ; The Witcher 3 is the gift that keeps on giving. Blood and Wine is remarkable for DLC. Its easily as entertaining as the main game, and the new location is gorgeous. Its a place I'm happy to get lost in for hours at a time. I knew already that The Witcher 3 was an all-time great, but the DLC has elevated it to one of my top 5 favourites.

5. Forza Horizon 3 ; Forza Horizon 3 plays like a Top Gear presenter's wet dreams. It totally captures the fantasy of taking some of the worlds most extravagant cars for a joy ride along roads with incredible views and scenery, without worrying about speed cameras or cops. This is the best road trip in gaming, and feels like a series hitting its peak.

6. Tormentum ; A super dark fantasy point and click with HR Giger inspired art? Yes please. Its a bit of a cliche at this point, but Tormentum really is the Dark Souls of point and click games, and I loved it.

7. Civilisation 6 ; I'm a huge Civ fan and thought V was the best so far, so Civ VI had big shoes to fill and Firaxis have done a great job of filling them. The AI is still a bit dodgy, but I like the introduction of districts and I'm pretty confident that given time Civ VI will be every bit as good as its predecessor

8. Darkest Dungeon ; As infuriating as it can be, Darkest Dungeon is also one of the funniest games I've played all year. The narrator is brilliant, and the game is a lot of fun to play, but may make you want to throw your PC out of the window at times.

9. PES 2017 ; Well this an improvement! After fixing the awful goalkeepers and blind referees from PES2016, PES has become quite brilliant. Far more tactical than FIFA, and still as fun to play as it ever was. Next year sort out the horrible presentation please!

10. My Summer Car ; A totally stupid game that I love. Its quite adorable, but bloody hard.

d00d3n

Did anyone go into what DOOM does different than Serious Sam, Painkiller and other "old school" first person shooters in their list? What makes it better?

Top Bottom