• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Beat the game but I couldn't save an NPC from dying, but it's not that major a thing.
A point n' click adventure game set in the Dark Eye world. The original franchise is from Germany and while this game has british voice actors, the overall transaltion leaves much to be desired.
It's a pretty standard and straight forward PnC game, and even though I had no knowledge of the DE series I managed to understand most of what's going on.
As I said though because of the translation, which is fine but you can tell some things didn't translate well from German, I couldn't enjoy it as well as I'd hoped.

The game has a sequel, Memoria which I'm playing as my next PnC game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #6 - Epistory Typing Chroniclaes
Time: 7 hours

Very neat "typing" action rpg, where you basically type words to attack enemies or interract with things in the world. I lvoe the look, mimicking fold out story books, the gameplay is great, if a little daunting if you arent a very good / fast typer (I actually had to turn off the adaptive difficulty because of this), soundtrack is whimsical, and theres a bit off the path zones and secrets to explore and find. Very cool little package that manages to do something different and original, which always scores big points with me.

Main Post

plidex

Original Post

7. Minecraft: Story Mode - January 8th - ★★★★☆

WCTrGHA.png

I had yet to play the last 3 episodes because I had been waiting for a sale on the adventure pass, IMO they were much better than the main story.

8. Hitman GO: Definitive Edition - January 11th - ★★★★☆

OHKxlj5.png

The only downside it's that it clearly is a mobile game. It's a bit simple to play on a console, but I played while listening to podcasts.

After almost a year I finally finished it and got the platinum but needed the help of a guide for some of the challenges.

Tizoc

header.jpg

2D Action Shooting game from the Assault Suits series. This one is based on the Mega Drive/Genesis game.
I beat the main game on Easy on PC. I enjoyed my time with it and would replay it from time to time thanks to its customization mode which enables certain weapons and equipment for replaying through the game.

Hustler

Original Post

330x192

Game # 4 - Talos Principle PS4 Completed in ~12 hours on January 7, 2017

This is the first puzzle game I have played like this quite some time. I really enjoyed the level design and puzzles. No puzzle was too hard to figure out, you just had to spend more time trying to understand the mechanics. My goal is to go back and 100% the game some day. Bought this during the winter sale for $10, worth every penny. 9/10

ThomasWasAlone.jpg

Game # 5 - Thomas was Alone PS4 Completed in ~6 hours on January 7, 2017

I see the charm in the game through the narration, color scheme and story, I found the puzzles to be too simple over time and finishing the game became a chore. 7/10

Aquova

jBVDdq6.png

Game 3: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

System: Game Boy Color
Year: 2002
Developer: Griptonite

Overview
As a kid, I had Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for GBC and absolutely loved it. However, by the time the second film had been released, the GBA had come out and I had no interest in going back to the antiquated days of yore, so I missed out on the GBC sequel. I was delighted to find out a sequel was made by the same people who made the previous game, and I finally got around to playing it.

Gameplay
This game is a turned based RPG, similar to Final Fantasy. Just like its predecessor, the game follows the events of the book more so than the movie, and allows the player to explore Hogwarts at their leisure. The battles are semi-random, where blue clouds will randomly appear in certain areas, and coming into contact with them will activate combat. The player then can select spells or items to use, or Harry can use expendable Wizarding Cards to do more powerful abilities. Several easter eggs of the later books are scattered around the grounds (such as the banana painting in the dungeon, or the muggle studies classroom). However, the game makes a number of welcome changes, including a bestiary that can be accessed mid-battle, and an upgraded menu when selecting spells. Hermione and Ron also have their own abilities, however they aren't as well-explained (or as useful) as Harry's abilities.

Visuals/Music
For a Game Boy Color game, this game is absolutely gorgeous. The environments are incredibly detailed and accurate to the source material, and the sprites are immediately recognizable. It is interesting to see how the developers took inspirations from both the book and movie; Arthur Weasley for example is balding with a pot-belled as he appears in the book, while certain areas, such as Moaning Murtle's Bathroom and
The Chamber of Secrets itself
are clearly inspired by how they appeared in the film. Some small choices aren't from either source, and are entirely original, such as the bowling mini-game. These choices never seem too invasive, and they fit well with the Hogwarts aesthetic.

As for the music, I thought it actually wasn't as good as the first games. Certain songs that I had become accustomed to, such as the 'enemy defeated' music have been replaced, and I didn't enjoy the new inclusions nearly as much. However, for the most part the music is excellent.

Another example of excellent visuals - spoiler:
https://i.imgur.com/p2pPTJE.png

Rating

Excellent
7PeQX3u.png

I cannot recommend this game enough for either Harry Potter or classic RPG fans. The environments are well detailed, the game is one of the best visually on the whole system, and it gives a great approximation of the wizarding world. I believe this and the previous game are the best Harry Potter games, and I highly recommend you go back and play them.

However, I do have two complaints about the game. Firstly, purchasing additional clothing, which provides better stats in battle, is incredibly expensive. The store replaces less-ideal equipment with better ones as the game goes on, but this means that only the most expensive stuff is available. Towards the end of the game, I only had 1000 or so 'sickles', but the cheapest bit of equipment went upwards of 10,000. Apart from the mandatory equipment at the start of the game, I couldn't afford anything.

Secondly, the game has a sharp difficulty spike towards the end of the game, right when you fight
Aragog.
The game is very casual up until then, but once you reach that boss, there is little else remaining except 3 bosses, all of which are incredibly difficult than what the game was expecting of you prior.

All in all, I still enjoyed myself greatly, and I loved every second of returning to the Harry Potter game of my childhood. If they had made books 3-7 on the GBC, I would gladly play them all.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Dyna

My main post.

E23zZpS.png

03 | Condemned 2 | Xbox 360
~10 hours | Completed Jan. 11th

I'd been meaning to check this one out for quite a while now but now that I finally got around to it I feel extremely disappointed. The first Condemned was one of my favourite Xbox 360 titles, it's a really solid horror game with good combat and an intriguing plot. This one felt way too edgy, had a lot of technical problems (bugs from the first game are still present) and the story went into such a bizarre direction that I just stopped caring at some point. I was actually surprised that Monolith made this one too because it's just so different compared to the first one. I'm not saying this was an outright terrible game, it had its moments, but I was seriously bummed that they changed so many things - such as the main characters' personalities and appearances - for the worse. I also found some design choices utterly baffling like the fact that the game is literally way too dark even after cranking the brightness up to the max and the god-awful blurry vision effects (I mean, what the fuck was that SCU Building level? Made me want to throw up). The combat was slightly improved, I'll give it that, but I still felt mostly frustrated while playing this. A lot of critics and fans of the first game seemed to like this one though so I guess I'm in the minority then. Overall very disappointing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #7 - Beyond Eyes
Time: 2 hours

The most literal of walking simulators, as the little girl you control walks at the slowest pace ever, which got very old very fast (and the game is very short on top). Anyway, the story of a blind girl searching for her cat friend in a visually impressive world where you only "see" whats near you. Some great visual and sound tricks using this theme, but overall, this walking sim did very little for me. Like I said, the gameplay is very slow and bordrline frustrating, and theres little to the story, except the ending which is quite good
and dark
. I continue to be hot and cold on walking sims, as I love some and then others do nothing for me.

header.jpg

Game #8 - Story About my Uncle
Time: 4 and half hours

Great idea, not so great execution is how I would describe Story about my Uncle. For the most part the first person platform / swinging is fine, but there are some terribly frustrating jumps later on in the game that really drag the experience down, as the physics are not always there, the hook doesnt always attach when you expect it, and it all kinda falls apart. It has the same problem that Mirror's Edge had, where its awesome until you stop and lose momentum. Except it doesnt have Mrror's Edge cool character to back it up. Still, its a great looking game, and fun when it works.

Main Post

hiredhand

2. Westerado: Double Barreled
An utterly charming 2d open world western action-adventure game. Great sense of freedom with multiple endings (and unlockable characters) and a varied world to explore. You can just tell the developers really love the setting. I guess the shooting mechanics could be better. I might return to this later for a second run-through. 8/10

3. Puzzle Agent
Telltale's Professor Layton wannabe. The story is pretty good but the puzzles are too easy and kinda unimaginative. 5/10

Currently playing:King's Quest (reboot), Trials Evolution, Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis), Pac-man 256

Dryk

As a kid, I had Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for GBC and absolutely loved it. However, by the time the second film had been released, the GBA had come out and I had no interest in going back to the antiquated days of yore, so I missed out on the GBC sequel. I was delighted to find out a sequel was made by the same people who made the previous game, and I finally got around to playing it.
That RPG was great and I had no idea that they made a sequel. I'm going to have to play this one day.

Dryk

Main Post - Part 1
Main Post - Part 2

Main Post - Part 3

#1: Picross e7: 27.4 hours
Fitting, since my first game last year was Pokemon Picross. There's not a whole lot to say about Picross e7 though. Jupiter are settling into a groove and while I'm okay with that it makes all the Picross e's bleed together a bit. There are a few notable changes in e7, most of the images are busier than usual and therefore impossible to parse before you finish them. I think this is mostly because it's getting to that point in the series where they have to start reaching for ideas. The other notable change is the addition of a third marker type which is a god send. It's a temporary marker with a lower priority than the fill and x markers so it can be directly drawn over. It's perfect for trying out patterns or counting out squares, and I've wanted something like this for ages. Overall Picross e7 is another incremental addition to the series, but as my fellow Picross addicts will attest once you're hooked it doesn't matter.

#2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: 3.8 hours
Much more traditional Mario game than the first Land, apart from a non-linear structure. Not sure how memorable it will be compared to the first but it's probably a better game.

#3: Mass Effect 3: 53 hours
I'm writing the bulk of this entry just before the final mission just in case the dreaded ending ruins everything. So far it's been a very good entry into the series with a few of the problems I had with 2 fixed. The weapons and powers are more customisable after the horrid streamlining, though the game is still largely a series of linear corridors in which cover based shooting takes place. Honestly a lot of my positivity is because I'm used to the idea of Mass Effect 2 style games at this point. If I had skipped 2 all of my problems with that game would survive with a vengeance here.

It was nice to see so many old characters back again, and so many arcs drawn to a close. But the simplicity of resolving conflicts without sacrifice bugged me somewhat coming from something like Deus Ex. As time passes it becomes more jarring that complex problems are solved by having enough Paragon points and select the "resolve situation" button. Speaking of I like that I was given more license to take renegade options sometimes without ruining the game.

The DLC is definitely a drawback too, with a lot of backstory locked behind it. If From Ashes and Leviathan were included in the game from the start I feel the reception would have been seen more favourably by a lot of people.

The main new mechanic, War Assets can basically be ignored, but I still really enjoyed looking for them. If you're willing to put in most of the narrative legwork yourself it can feel like you're pulling the galaxy together to fight the Reapers, just don't expect it to mean anything yet. And this is where I leave to go play the last mission, with an overall positive outlook on the game. I'm looking forward to Andromeda now because it seems to be drifting further in the direction of Mass Effect 1's tone, I hope they can pull it off.

Okay so the ending's fine. I can see why the original version was hated so much but honestly it's fine. Great game.

#4: Spear of Destiny: 11 hours
In 2015 I played Wolfenstein 3D for the first time, and found it to be alright. The feeling of fragility can be very frustrating, and the controls aren't very good. Spear of Destiny changes nothing about the base Wolf 3D experience, but it's a competent new set of levels so if that's what you're looking for you can find it here. The Steam version also comes with two extra episodes that were developed by another developer, I played through about 10 levels of the first one and it's trash. Confusing and random levels that seem to have been made to prove that they could, I couldn't be bothered finishing them.

#5: Mighty Switch Force! Host it Down!: 1.3 hours
While I was playing the PC port this is a mobile spinoff game at heart. It takes the mechanic of using pipes to redirect streams of water from Mighty Switch Force 2 and expands it into a full game. But instead of using the series' titular switching you drag the blocks around like a tile puzzle. Put all the fires out and rescue all the girls to finish the level, just don't expect to meet the par time. It's simple, cheap and a nice distraction.

#6: Move or Die: 3.7 hours
I've always struggled with when to place local multiplayer party games on the list because opportunities to play them are few and far between. But in a few hours I think I've seen most of what this one has to offer so I'm going to talk about it now. Move or Die is a 2D platformer with a simple premise: do the best at completing the objective in each round to score points, whoever reaches a set total first wins. Most of the minigames revolve around being the last survivor under certain conditions but there's also modes that require you to do the most of something, like painting the arena or wearing a hat. The title isn't just for show though, you have a health bar that drains if you stand still or jump and recovers when you run along the ground, if you don't move, you die.

There's currently about 26 modes and a new one gets added every few months or so. There's a mutator system where every few rounds one of the players can pick a new effect to be applied to the matches. But I find that people have enough trouble adjusting to the rapid fire minigames being thrown at them (especially if they don't play a lot of party platformers) so they mostly stay turned off. There's also a ton of unlockable character skins, but because they're Steam inventory items they can only be unlocked when playing online and there's nobody to play with in Australia.

I have a lot of fun playing this, it's chaotic and the movement is fast. It's definitely going to stay in my rotation of party games. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, I first discovered this game exists because the soundtrack was composed by Jacob Lincke (Cloudbuilt), and I'll never pass up an opportunity to tell people to give him more work.

#7: Clustertruck: 4.4 hours
As a huge fan of games like Cloudbuilt and AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! I really wanted this game to impress me, and impress me it did. For those of you who haven't seen the self-explanatory trailer, Clustertruck is a first person platformer where you have to run from one end of a level to the other on the back of a convoy of trucks without touching the ground. The game starts simple, with the trucks on a flat road. But before long the road starts to curve, or shift, or rotate, and by the end of the game you're barely holding on as the trucks tumble up a hill in the depths of hell while lava slowly rises beneath you. There's a lot of variety in the game's levels, with each of the nine worlds having a theme that introduces new mechanics and it gets very challenging.

I probably would not have finished this game so quickly if it wasn't for the saving grace of the upgrade system. You get points for finishing levels and doing tricks (mostly air time and jumping onto trucks that are flying through the air) which you can spend on upgrades. You can equip one mobility upgrade (double jump, grappling hook, air dash, etc) and one utility upgrade (slow time, spawn truck, freeze trucks, etc) at a time but I found that double jump/grappling hook and slow time are the best to get through a lot of the game. At some point I might go unlock Super Truck (which does exactly what you'd expect) to see how that plays, but for now I'm content having finished all of the game's levels. Definitely recommend it.

#8: HarmoKnight: 8.3 hours
I was going to give this a much more positive post, even if it would have still had caveats. The gameplay is good on the whole and the aesthetic is cute, even if I could have done without the trite "oh no, the princess you met 30 seconds ago has been kidnapped" plot. But after the final level you know what, fuck you Game Freak.

The game is a rhythm platformer like BIT.TRIP RUNNER but not as good. The controls never feel quite right, with the timing for jumps and hits not being where you would expect. Your main attack is a swing with a big staff and the enemies basically have to be touching you when you time it correctly, which is counter-intuitive as hell. The fact that the game is in full 3D seems to make these problems worse, and especially in the later levels most of the things you need to hit or jump over spawn in two feet in front of you.

The boss fights are big quick time event affairs which would be cool if they didn't suffer from one of the game's biggest problems. Everything takes too damn long, a hard game like this requires you to be able to iterate on your failures quickly, but it takes forever to reload a level and this is especially true of the boss fights which are very cinematic. The final boss fight is four minutes long and probably half of that is cutscenes that you have to sit through again every time you fail.

The other problem is the scoring system, for most of the game it's far too lax, training you to just make it to the end of the level if you screw up a little because the game will give you a gold star anyway. But you have to perfect the bosses for the same reward.

But the real winner is the final post-game world which in Nintendo tradition is where the really difficulty lives. Unfortunately a lot of it is fake difficulty. The use of enemies and traps that you can't see until they're right in front of you increases sharply, as does the prevalence of bottomless pits. The interface starts fucking with you to, there are more dramatic camera shifts which mostly just serve to make it harder to judge when you should be trying to make important jumps, which can and will get you killed and kicked back to the start of the level.

This comes to a head in Clocktower Trial, where the tempo changes a split second before a key jump over a bottomless 1/3rd of the way through the level, sending you to your death unexpectedly. But the Final Trial is the real fuck you to the players, if you manage to survive the gauntlet (which I managed for the first time after about 20-30 tries) the song ends and a featureless piece of flat ground appears to carry you out, as in all the levels. And then a pillar of fire erupts from the ground while your guard is down and if you had one heart left you die. The most unfortunate thing about this is that a lot of the pattern in Final Trial is really fun when you get it down, and the synchronisation with the background music is the best in the game. But its let down by the parts that feel unfair and like a big fuck you to the player.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and I eventually got through it all. But jeez that last part is frustrating as hell for bad reasons.

PS If this reads weird at any point it's because I rage quit, wrote the review and then put another half an hour into the Final Trial and managed to beat it.

#9: Nano Assault EX: 2.8 hours
It's hard for me to describe Nano Assault without defaulting to comparisons of other games. Where do I even start? You play as a shrunken down space ship flying around cells trying to eliminate a virus in one of two ways. In most levels you are twin "stick" (8 directions for me since I don't have a second circle pad) shooting your way over the surface of a cell, which is a 3D object you can move around completely. Some regions spawn enemies, kill all the enemies that spawn to wear down the region's reserve and win the level. Then sometimes the game decides that it wants to be a rail shooter for a level, and it does a good job of that too. The game's boss fights span both kinds of level and some add their own twists to the gameplay style they utilise.

It's also worth mention that this game looks really nice (for 3DS anyway). Because most of the levels take place on relatively smooth and large 3D objects the levels really pop with the 3D turned on. And the textures, backgrounds and enemy designs all do a good job of selling the idea that the environment is biological and microscopic. It's pretty short but I didn't touch the score attack, boss rush, and endless modes so there's more time to be had if you're into that sort of thing.

My main criticism is definitely the difficulty. You accumulate more starting lives as the game goes on (I had 7 or 8 by the end), and dying recharges you special weapon meter. This means that most levels can be brute forced pretty easily which makes a lot of levels that should feel tense just... not. But it's still an enjoyable game and I'd definitely recommend it.

#10: Tales of Monkey Island: 14.9 hours
Maybe a little easier but yep that's a Monkey Island game, and an old style Telltale game. Got more interesting by episode 3 where the plot started gearing up, otherwise I dunno point and clicks don't really grab me that much.

#11: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars: 18.7 hours
I've had this game sitting on my Wii since it came out but I never got around to it. On top of that I played up until the final dungeon on an emulator as a kid but never finished it. I've finally got this notch on my belt now, and while it's a good game I feel like its time has mostly past.

The plot is interesting but could probably stand to be fleshed out just a little bit more, and the characterisation is strong. The battle system is also good (especially for the time) but the abilities you have to use within it are lackluster. Most fights are a simple Attack/Heal loop with little extra strategy (though getting the tempo of that loop right is engaging) and bosses are immune to the few status effects you have access to. Timed hits are a great idea but they can't carry the combat by themselves after decades of progress.

One thing I did really like though was the dungeon design, and how often platforming is incorporated into it. It doesn't always work, (that damn frog coin that exists in some sort of 4th dimension next to a beanstalk comes to mind) but it gives the game a pretty unique flavour. It's also pretty short (especially for the 90s) so the pacing is pretty solid, though the climax doesn't quite feel earned.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Mario RPG and I looked forward to coming home and playing it more. But it's definitely a product of its time and its let down by the shallow pool of abilities available to the party.

#12: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons: 17.9 hours
I am really loving the 2D Zelda games lately. Oracle of Seasons is very obviously using a lot of Link's Awakening assets but it also feels enough like its own thing because of the addition of new mechanics. You can collect rings to give yourself passive bonuses but that feature seems a little undercooked. There's also a seed mechanic where you can collect 5 different kinds of seed that function as your lantern, teleport, and dash among other things. There's also three animal buddies, but I don't like the way this mechanic is used. Each animal buddy is found in an area near one or two puzzles they can be used to solve, and you gain the ability to summon one of them to use wherever on the overworld. But because it can be any of them they're not used for puzzles anywhere else in the game and I basically never called on mine again. As I understand it all three reappear in Ages so maybe it would have been nice to focus on one in each game and have them be useful throughout.

A lot of the items are returning but get upgraded or used in cool new ways, and the handful of new items are unique and interesting. Dungeons are good but they tend to be the best part of a 2D Zelda so I'm not surprised. The Rod of Seasons and the core seasons changing mechanic is one of my favourite Zelda gimmicks so far, even if it just changes a few things, I really like the dimension puzzle solving with such a known quantity adds to overworld traversal.

I usually take a break before getting into the next game in a series to prevent fatigue and so they don't blur together as much, but I'm definitely itching to get into Oracle of Ages now.

#13: Link's Crossbow Training: 1.5 hours
Yes the game is actually that short, and I got platinum medals in every level. Getting high scores requires calm because the score multiplier increases by 1 per hit with no maximum, so a good run involves just racking up as high a combo as possible. The aim feels a little forgiving at times if you're firing into the distance but overall the difficulty is nice if a tad on the easy side.

There's 9 stages but they all consist of 3 unrelated parts, and there's a good amount of variety in the levels. Some are rail shooting, some involve shooting a 360 arc of oncoming enemies in third person and some are free roaming and require you to hunt down enemies. There's also a few boss fights which switch it up even more. So the game's lacking a little in content and all the assets are from Twilight Princess but the variety makes up for it and I got the game for free off of someone that paid $2.50 for it so I can't complain.

#14: de Blob: 14.3 hours
After being MIA for 3 weeks I return having finally played de Blob, a game that was not at all what I was expecting it to be. A bunch of grayscale jerks from space having stolen all the colour from your city and you have to 3D platform your way across 10 levels, leaving a trail of colour in your wake, to save it.

Each level is broken up into a fews sections that are gated (literally) based on your score. You score points by painting objects in the world and killing enemies. Taking on challenges is another good way to both score points and give yourself some direction. They're broken up into four types, race, combat, painting, and landmarks. The paint challenges require you to paint a set of buildings in set colours, and the landmark challenges require you to gather up a certain amount of a given colour and dump it into a building to transform it from a drab base for The Man back into a party pad for the residents of the city.

Paint is acquired from paint bots scattered around the level and comes in the RBY primary colours (red, blue, yellow). If Blob is already coloured then absorbing paint of a different colour will cause him to turn into the RBY secondary colours (orange, green, purple). If you're a secondary colour and you pick up one of the constituent primary colours you turn that colour, and if you pick up the third primary colour you turn brown. Interestingly, the game treats brown the same as any other colour, but I always felt punished for it. The system obviously isn't very deep, but it's just complex enough to give the level designers something to work with. There are parts of the game where you have to be very careful to dodge paint bots to maintain the right colour on the way to an objective and that was pretty cool.

I have two major sticking points with de Blob: the controls and the size of the levels. Two of the most important actions, jump and homing attack, are bound to a flick of the Wii Remote. While this can work even if it's suboptimal here it just doesn't, the game feels unresponsive and sluggish a lot of the time and in a few levels that can and will get you killed. The main impediment to me finishing this game in a timely manner though was the levels. They're not really that big, but if you want to paint a bunch of things and do all the challenges, or rack up enough points to get a gold medal each level takes about 50 minutes. A lot of nights I just didn't feel like committing a block of time that big to play a level and so it took a lot longer than it should have.

I mentioned at the beginning that the game wasn't what I expected. That's mostly because in a post-Splatoon world the theme of platforming and painting makes my mind immediately go to a frenetic and visually engaging game. de Blob is not that game, but it is worth checking out.

watdaeff4

Updated Main Post

3. Final Fantasy IV Interlude (Vita)
Completed 1/7/17
Time: 2 hours

FFIV is one of my favorite games of all time, and the FF I'm most fond of (as it's my first one). So when I got a Vita this summer and was able to get the complete edition I was thrilled. After replaying the initial game, I slowly worked my way through the interlude. It's more FFIV which is good IMO.

4, Dishonored Definitive Edition (PS4)
Completed: 1/7/14
Time: 8-10 hours?

I have a long history of not playing this game. I didn't game much last gen but heard good things about it. Bought it, never played it. Sold it to buy the GOTY edition, never played that, sold it when I sold off my PS3. When the PSN store gave the remaster for "free" if you preordered the sequel, I thought what the hell - third time's the charm. So glad I did. This game was great. Had a blast even though I'm not the best at stealth games was still able to finish with the low chaos ending. This is my favorite game I've completed this year *for the first time - see below* so far.

5. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Vita)
Completed: 1/7/14
Time: 2ish hours

I bought this (and the original which I played last year and the third) for dirt cheap on a PSN sale. This was such a massive step above the first Alpha game. They really beefed up not only the roster, but the game play.

6. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Vita)
Completed: 1/8/14
Time: 2ish hours

See above, bought the trilogy on a PSN sale. Again, another step above it's predecessor even though the last fighter in Arcade mode pulls off some cheap moves usually. But that's pretty much how Capcom fighters were back in the 90's.

7. Arkham Asylum Remaster (PS4)
Completed: 1/10/17
Time: 10ish hours?

Was thrilled that the Return to Arkham collection came out but sad that Origins didn't make the cut :(. Loved these games last gen and this game in particular was my favorite game from last gen - the only one that I played through twice during that generation. I still love this game. The pacing of the game was close to perfection, never a dull moment. I have never been the biggest fan of the Killer Croc sequence, but no game is perfect.

8. Plants vs. Zombies (XB1/XB360 BC)
Completed: 1/11/17
Time: No idea

My kids love playing PvZ on tablets. When I saw it was part of EA Access, I downloaded it so we could play together. They don't get much video game time and they split it up between several games, so this has been a slowburn. (I think we started it last spring lol). I had always poo-poo'ed the game in my mind but as I got to playing it, I really enjoyed it.

Getting off to a great start, but as mentioned at the beginning of the main post this year will be even more challenging to finish. Clearing out some small games and/or ones I've already started to get some momentum going.

Instead of ratings, I think I'll just list my favorite games to date with each update:
Faves as of now:
1. Arkham Asylum
2. Dishonored
3. Plants vs. Zombies
4. Resogun
5. Street Fighter Alpha 3

Currently Playing/Up Next:
Max Payne
Fallout 3
Jak and Daxter
Overwatch
NBA2k17

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
Awww yeahhh. I'm all over this. I tend to mix modern with retro, so expect a mix. I finished about 30 last year....

JANUARY

scLYWtV.jpg

Playstation 4

Probably one of my favourite games, certainly story wise. One of the only games my wife will sit and watch without complaining.
10/10

MSIkNeL.jpg

Playstation 4

More of the same, with an incredibly deep and touching back story. Probably the first time I've seen a certain subject-matter explored in games. 9/10 (because I miss Joel)

9rRC8Ig.jpg

Playstation

Man alive this has not aged well. One of my faves as a young'n, but from the bad camera angles and the stiff controls, nowhere near as fun as it used to be.
5/10

zes0OCv.jpg

Xbox One

I loved this. Like I think this may be my favourite Gears. I read lots of reviews saying that JD was a vanilla protagonist, but I just think he's a lot more subtle then Marcus was in the previous games. I love the organic feel of passing over the torch from old to new.
9/10

1FVZ1Ji.jpg

Playstation 4

This game was the whole reason I bought a Pro. It is absolutely stunning. The game itself is now my favourite of the main 4, just pipping the second. It handles so well and the end closed out the series nicely. My favourite part of the game was the oh-so-satisfying grappling and swinging.
10/10

bAZ7g0N.png

Playstation

Great game, screw the jet pack though.... OK, so I didn't try to 100% this, but 72% ain't bad right? This is usually rated as the best crash, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't handle as well as 3. Tis a massive improvement on the first though.
8/10

ZIdmlQQ.jpg

Xbox One

Played this as part of The Master Chief Collection. This is the first time I've ever played the first Halo, and I've got to be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The Chief is a bit of a lifeless character, the story is a bit drab and all of the enemies are bullet sponges. Maybe I'm missing the finesse of the game or maybe this is one for nostalgia which I'm not really on board with. Either way...
6/10

FEBRUARY

nfVDcUJ.jpg

Playstation 4

OK so, this game is still as good as I remember. The graphics were definitely more polished, but nothing too dramatic. I love the riddles, more so than the other Arkham games. I think it's because I don't feel overwhelmed by trying to hunt them. The ending is still a massive damp-turd however.
8/10

XtoSXfK.jpg

Nintendo 2DS

My first Pokemon game in quite a while, and the start of my progression to Sun/Moon. Very much more of the same Pokemon formula and not much to add over the many, many reviews and opinions already flying around the interwebz. What does this one have over previous titles? Flaming freaking karate monkey...
7/10

kXmhm6A.jpg

Xbox One

I'm honestly not sure what I thought of this. The whole world raves about this being the greatest resi game of the lot, but it honestly felt a bit bland to me. I'm not trying to be radical, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as say 1 or 5. Maybe it's because each one as their own identity (survival horror and action) but this just seems to get caught in the middle. I also found the gratuitous sexualisation of Ashley to be a bid disturbing. Up-skirt shots and jiggling boobs of what I can only guess to be a young teen is a difficult thing to explain to the wife.
6/10

Jtg9OND.jpg

Playstation 4

I really enjoy what NetheRealm's bring to the table in their fighting games. Certainly more so than Capcom's offerings. I like how you can jump right in and not need to know all of the juggling mechanics and combos, which I think kills the Street Fighter series for a fighting noob like me. The story mode is again, Hollywood-esque and this really got me excited for Injustice 2.
9/10

MARCH

i1jtx8l.jpg

Xbox 360

This is actually the first DiRT game I gave actually played, and this game gives me mixed feelings. It feels like the spiritual successor to destruction derby in some parts, but then try to add on stock car racing, which just doesn't play well.
6/10

32vcR7f.jpg

Playstation

Jeez, this was tough. Never cleared this when I was kid, and now I remember why. The key here was to basically, not die at all....ever. If you do, it's all over anywhere near the end. Rick Mayall is just as good as I remember, if slightly tongue in cheek racist (looking at you yellow coloured, chinese pigs). I think due to it's sheer difficulty, I would have rated it higher, but I doubt this'll be out on again for another 10 years.
6/10

44SEIjg.jpg

Xbox 360

With the release of the new Mass Effect, to middling reviews, I thought I'd go back to the original trilogy for a go around the traverse with Shepard and friends. I still adore this game and the world built within it. Wrex is still my favourite character (maybe within any series) with his no f***s given attitude. However...The Mako sections are so damn tedious. Like trying to drive a bouncy castle on wheels.
8/10

fSXLJyy.jpg

Playstation 4

The best Arkham game? I'd say so. This game is still ageing so well and the story is so well written for what essentially has no links to a comic series. The fighting system is sexy and the voice talent superb. I can take or leave the Riddler trophies if I'm being honest. They have a touch of the Assassins Creed Unity about them in their sheer numbers.
8/10

MAY

UVLHLRl.jpg

Xbox 360

My second play through with Mass Effect 2, but my first with all of the DLC. Sometimes this game can come across perfect, sometimes it comes across like a massive chore; looking at you mineral scanning. It's certainly a step up from the first, but most of the DLC is a bit naff. Lair of the Shadow Broker is great, and I was gutted when it finished so quickly. It was also nice playing as a complete ass-hat rather than your typical hero.
8/10

3Pkc7Tb.jpg

Playstation 4

Can you give a game 100% based on its soundtrack? I know a lot of people say this was better than GTA3, but I have to disagree slightly. Maybe it's my nostalgia playing tricks on me, but I just liked the simplicity of GTA3 over Vice City. Don't get me wrong, the soundtrack, voice cast and story were great. But I just found some of the missions a bit irritating and the camera really jarring.
7/10

RviGIAz.jpg

Nintendo Switch

I did wonder how Nintendo can "remaster" a two year old game, and then sucker me into buying it again the second time round. But this really is the most polished version of this game. Perfect for me on the go, and it looks stunning on the Switch. I could go on, but tire's not loads to say tbh.
8/10

3ourKzz.jpg

Sega Megadrive

A completion 25 years in the making! I could not even get past the second stage as a young'n, who'd have thought there was only 5 stages?? I honestly don't think this has aged too badly, I actually quite enjoyed it for what it was, a quick blitz through a basic b'mup.
6/10

JUNE

gViHxG4.jpg

Xbox 360

I honestly think this game gets more stick then it deserves. Yes, the ending is ultimately a wet fart after the epicness that came before it, but the whole game cannot be discounted because of this. IMHO, the game is better then Mass Effect 2. The story is more compelling, I had more fun grouping the team together. My actions felt more impactful in the short term rather than the long-term. Shepherd is so much more rounded in this game, having his/her own personality rather than just an avatar to say what I tell him/her.
I also completed all of the DLC on this run, which is some of the best add on content i have played. My criticism's are, that it's probably a bit too long and bloated in some sections, and they really should have just done away with the pointless planet exploring mechanic. But overall a great game. And it was bags of fun being an ass-hat to anyone and everyone, getting the bad ending in the process.
8/10

ojmvWc8.png

Super Nintendo

Having played this in the arcades as a kid, I never had the opportunity to play it on how consoles. Call me daft, but I'm certain the arcade version was harder? Anyway, a great b'mup that was definitely a challenge in places. How did I get through this? Mike f-inf Haggar with a bloody great sword!
6/10

JULY

dPSmLRE.jpg

Playstation 4

Never got round to finishing this when it originally came out on the PS2, more than likely because of the difficulty towards the end and my poor attention span. But this games looks great remastered on PS4. My biggest criticism would be the blasted camera sticking to corners as you tried to battle, as well as the poor lock on system. I mean yeah, the story is goofy (pun completely intended) but it's massively charming and the Disney nostalgia as well as FFVII nostalgia is on point.
7/10

23. 24. 25.
hosegXS.jpg

Playstation 4

A beautiful remaster(make?) I keep hearing people bleeding how it is now harder? Well I honestly found the originals so much more difficult. This is also the first time I've ever cleared the first Crash, and yes iwaki still difficult, but it was so satisfying to finally beat it.
9/10

oB6qHLj.jpg

NES Classic

So yeah, this is the very first NES Classic game I've actually cleared, despite owning it for 7 months. I'm really not going to review Super Mario Bros. but I will say this, I have always struggled to legit clear this game, but after spending the past month or so on Crash Bandicoot, it really sharpened my skills up and seemed a helluva lot easier this time around.
6/10

aZUrHmR.jpg

Xbox 360

This is the first time I've revisited this since its original release, and I love it just as much as I did the first time round. The writing and comedy is absolutely on the button with tongue firmly pressed into cheek. Stephen Merchant is absolutely hilarious and the quite sad backstory of GLaDOS is so subtle, you may not actually notice it. The puzzle elements are tricky, but so fulfilling when you work them out. Absolutely no handholding through the game, I honestly believe this to be one of the greatest games made, especially for its generation.
9/10

OJk4Ii9.jpg

Playstation 4

For me, this is the ultimate game of two halves. It starts out as a basic platform, akin to Limbo. I really like the art style and the story it is telling of the Inuit people. I also love the parts of the documentary that are cut in to explain exactly what's going on. Then the second half of the game roles around, and it feels like you've changed game altogether. The mechanic changes completely and it just doesn't feel right. I glitches out so many times and the AI is the absolute pits. Your AI partner can be instakilled and there's not too much you can do about it. In summary, looks great, plays naff.
5/10

AUGUST

mKLEpRC.jpg

Playstation 4

Now, everyone seems to have the opinion that Arkham Knight is the worst of the trilogy, but after playing this through again, on Knightmare difficulty no less, I have to disagree. The fighting is slick, there are so many moves and equipment to use. I actually enjoyed the tank sequences and I enjoyed Joker's involvement. There are so many little nuances that often go missed, like the thugs random nattering around Gotham or Joker's many quips and musings. The side missions are by far the best, though Riddler can go suck, I'm not interested.
I've literally spent the month playing this for a second time round, and would definitely recommend it
9/10

SEPTEMBER

Jf9vRgE.jpg

Xbox One

First time I've picked this up since its original release some years back and had an absolute blast blitzing through the main campaign. It's everything you expect from a Devil May Cry game. My only criticism is that i don't like Nero as a character or his fighting in comparison to Dante (a-la-Raiden) so it's a huge bonus when the game switches to Dante half way through. The story is pretty daft, but I'd expect nothing else, as is the cheesy dialogue. Certainly put me in the mood for some more hack n slash fun (eyes up Bayonetta). I tried having a second play though with Vergil, but it just felt like doing the entire campaign again with a different skin.
7/10

8wWyynR.jpg

Xbox One

A replay for one of my top 10(15?) games of all time. Introduced my brother to the loveliness that is Marcus Fenix's soul patch (he's not quite old enough to have played this the first time round). Game is a great blast, especially if you want to pump through the campaign in a day together. I'd forgotten how much they'd overhauled the graphics and the cutscenes. The split screen is a little jarring as they reduced the width to fit in, but this can hardly be held against it.
8/10

OCTOBER

miWJ4uz.jpg

Playstation 4

Best gameplay of the trilogy, probably worst story. Still an utter thrill to blast through though. As I said, the story seems a little bit of a shoulder shrug and just made a mess of the originals tale, but the gameplay is so satisfying. The remaster doesn't seem to add too much on the original, but I'm happy I picked it up on the PSN sale.
7/10

UDE8BOy.jpg

Nintendo Switch

I did not believe the hype. I've had this since launch and have only just completed it. The game is OK, but I just feel like it's a mediocre sandbox game with Zelda slapped on the front of it. Too long walking and climbing with not enough to do. Side quests and main quests just take too long to find or achieve. Not a fan of the combat system or the weapon break system. The story is pretty non-existent and the loading times are horrendous. Not for me I'm afraid.
6/10

rpyRXa3.jpg

Xbox 360

LttP with this one. If I'm being honest, I played it for 6 hours and then put it down massively frustrated with the mechanics. I went back a week later, and played patiently. Once I got the hang of it and learned not to rush in, I loved it. You really become attached to your team, and man oh man when one dies, I genuinely felt a pang of loss. Great game and has teed my up nicely for Mario + Rabbids
8/10

Lifeline

Got my first game for 2017 done:

The Order 1886:
Date: 1/11/2017
Score: 7.5-8/10

Finally got around to playing this and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought i would. The story, while not doing anything special, was entertaining enough to keep me going all the way to the end in pretty much one sitting. Gameplay wise, I found it to be fun actually. The "science" weapons were really fun to use, and some of the normal guns like the duelist rifle were a lot of fun to play with as well. Lack of fighting lycans in the normal gameplay was disappointing. I really wanted to try the Thermite Rifle on them. The cutscenes and non-gameplay sections weren't as boring as i thought they would be, mainly because the graphics look amazing and the voice acting is great too.

Overall, i would put it above other TPS like the first Uncharted, it's a solid 7.5-8/10 game. Looking at the metascore, the game is definitely underrated.

The big problem with this game was that it came out at the wrong time. By the time it came out, most gamers and critics had already turned on the cinematic TPS genre, and by it not really doing anything to innovate or change, The Order was the game to take their hate out on. Which is understandable, i think Sony and the developers read the industry wrong when they took on this project. I think we'll see this again with Horizon. Critics and gamers are turning on the Ubisoft(Assassins Creed, Fry Cry, etc)/Warner Bros(Shadow of Mordor) open world formula, and if Horizon does nothing to innovate or change the formula, it'll take the same role The Order did.

Also it's disappointing to see Ready at Dawn wants to work on the sequel, but since Sony owns the IP they aren't letting them.

Main Post

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
First time I'm trying this. I've completed 25 games in 2016 and my main goal is to complete more games than I did last year.

Completed

01. The Stanley Parable (PC)
Date: 01/05
Time: 2.4h
Comment: -

02. STAR WARS: The Force Unleashed (PC)
Date: 01/06
Time: 6.0h
Comment: I wanted to play a SW game and TFU has been sitting in my backlog for a long time, so I gave it a try. It didn't age well. Interesting story, awful gameplay.

03. STAR WARS: The Force Unleashed II (PC)
Date: 01/06
Time: 3.7h
Comment: Even though I haven't enjoyed TFU1 my thirst for more SW games made me install TFU2. I'm glad I did. The story was ok but the gameplay is superior to TFU1's gameplay at all levels. The QTEs were quite boring but I enjoyed combining the lightsabers with the different force powers.

04. Her Story (PC)
Date: 01/10
Time: 2.5h
Comment: An innovative concept paired with a good crime story.

05. Mirror's Edge (PC)
Date: 01/11
Time: 4.8h
Comment: Meh.

06. Castle of Illusion (2013) (PC)
Date: 01/12
Time: 2.6h
Comment: Short but fun platformer. The levels weren't challenging except for "The Castle - Act 1". Not sure why but it took me countless tries to finish it.

07. The Beginner's Guide (PC)
Time: 1.2h
Comment: I usually enjoy walking simulators but this one was, I don't know, weird. The story made me feel uncomfortable. The developer (same guy who developed The Stanley Parable) might have intended to make the player feel that way but that's not what I want to experience when I'm playing video games.

08. Teddy Floppy Ear - Mountain Adventure (PC)
Time: 1.3h
Comment: Someone thought it would be funny to gift me a copy. It's probably a nice game for children.

09. The Silent Age (PC)
Date: 01/13
Time: 2.6h
Comment: Short P&C game with unique puzzles, a good narrative, and an exciting setting.

10. Battlefield 1 (PC)
Date: 01/14
Time: 5.9h
Comment:

11. Mass Effect 3 (PC)
Date: 02/09
Time: 22h
Comment: I don't really get the hate for the ending. I mean, sure, it wasn't overwhelming, but it's far from the worst ending I've ever seen. I really enjoyed the ME trilogy and now I'm even more hyped for Andromeda. Even though I'm still a bit concered about the open world thing.

12. Batman - The Telltale Series (PC)
Date: 02/11
Time: 7.8h
Comment: Overall it was ok. But again Telltale doesn't manage to deliver something like TWAU, TFTB, or TWD S01. It didn't perform very well on my system (i5, 1070); stutters, frame drops, and three crashes. Go for it if you like Batman, TT games, and when it's on sale.

13. Firewatch (PC)
Date: 02/11
Time: 3.6h
Comment: I had this game on my wishlist since release because it looked gorgeous. And it is a gorgeous game indeed but it also delivers an interesting story with well-written dialogs/characters.

14. Singularity (PC)
Date: 02/12
Time: 5.3h
Comment:

15. Bastion (PC)
Date: 02/13
Time: 5.3h
Comment: Great game. Beautiful soundtrack, gorgeous art, fun gameplay, and a phenomenal narrator.

16. The Fall (PC)
Date: 04/09
Time: 2.5h
Comment:

17. LIMBO (PC)
Date: 04/10
Time: 3h
Comment:

18. Bulletstorm (PC)
Date: 04/11
Time: 5.1h
Comment:

19. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (PC)
Date: 04/30
Time: 9.1h
Comment:

20. LEGO Star Wars III - The Clone Wars (PC)
Date: 05/11
Time: 8.5h
Comment:

21. Alan Wake (PC)
Date: 05/15
Time: 9.1h
Comment:

22. [DLC] Alan Wake: The Signal + The Writer (PC)
Date: 05/18
Time: 3.2h
Comment:

23. King's Quest (PC)
Date: 06/28
Time: 15.2h
Comment:

24. Rebel Galaxy (PC)
Date: 07/19
Time: 28.9h
Comment:

25. Game of Thrones (PC)
Date: 07/25
Time: 19.4h
Comment:

26. 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (PC)
Date: 07/29
Time: 2.0h
Comment:

27. The Deed (PC)
Time: 1.9h
Comment:

28. DLC Quest (PC)
Time: 1.9h
Comment:

29. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PC)
Date: 08/06
Time: 23.3h
Comment:

30. Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (PC)
Date: 08/06
Time: 4.0h
Comment:

31. Homefront (PC)
Date: 08/12
Time: 3.5h
Comment:

32. Emily is Away (PC)
Date: 08/13
Time: 1.1h
Comment:

33. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (PC)
Date: 08/26
Time: 6.9h
Comment:

34. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (PC)
Date: 09/03
Time: 6.0h
Comment:

35. Cinders (PC)
Date: 09/04
Time: 2.2h
Comment:

36. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC)
Date: 09/06
Time: 10.5h
Comment:

37. Alpha Protocol (PC)
Date: 09/08
Time: 10.6h
Comment:

38. Fable Anniversary (PC)
Date: 09/29
Time: 18.2h
Comment:

39. Stories Untold (PC)
Date: 10/18
Time: 2.8h
Comment:

In Progress

Rhaknar

header.jpg

Game #9 - Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall
Time: 5 hours

Fantastic DLC to a fantastic game. I forgot how much of a killing sandbox Dishonored is, since I havent played it since I finished it on release back in 2012. The DLC is more of the same, with a focus on Daud this time around. Its very robust, with a bunch of upgrades to collect and huge levels to explore, in fact, I probably could / should have finished it faster but I just have to explore all those levels man. Time to move on to Brigmore Witches then.

header.jpg

Game #10 - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
Time: 4 hours

Essencially part 2 of what should have been one giant old school expansion to Dishonored, since both work together to form essencially a full game. Anyway, I liked this one more than the first one, it has better locations and actually some new enemy types. Plus it gets all freaky and supernatural which is cool. Both are amazing DLCs tho, some of the best ive seen in any game, and not only are they totally worth playing, but they actually make Dishonored better game, because it fleshes out Daud's character in ways you had no idea in the main game, and actually makes your decisions in that one much more important. Great stuff.

Also, I debated weather to include these as is or together with as one entry, but like I said, they are quite substancial (certainly more than many games we include in this) and im pretty sure Ill have more than 52 by year's emd. If I dont, ill feel bad for "cheating" when the time comes lol.

Main Post

Spyware

Also, I debated weather to include it as is or together with Witches as one entry, but like I said, its quite substancial (certainly more than many games we include in this) and self contained so they get seperate entries.

I wouldn't call it that. Witches is a straight up second part of Daud's story. You even carry over the save file and just begin like it was a second chapter of a full game. Not saying you're doing it wrong, just a comment on your reasons ;)
Just admit you want more points ;)
Anyways, amazing DLC however you count them!

Tambini

yZpPqRf.png

#7 Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction ★★★.5 Xbox - Jan 12th - 6.30 hours
GTA clone with the chaos turned up to 11. I totally used cheats to make this one more fun and more managable, it gets seriously hard later on! Did the main missions without messing around in the map too much, blowing stuff up is fun but it gets old

Rhaknar

I wouldn't call it that. Witches is a straight up second part of Daud's story. You even carry over the save file and just begin like it was a second chapter of a full game. Not saying you're doing it wrong, just a comment on your reasons ;)
Just admit you want more points ;)
Anyways, amazing DLC however you count them!

if I wanted more points, I wouldnt have counted Pink Hour and Pink Heaven as 1 game last year, or I would count individual episodes of Telltale games as seperate games.

But yes, now that Ive started Witches, it does feel basically like the second part of Daug's game. Oh well, exception that proves the rule I guess.

Axass

Original post.

Game 5: Not A Hero - 2/5 - 09:30 hours (12/01/2017)
header.jpg

Completed the campaign at the max level, with all objectives and secret doors. The game's a hard action shooter, very focused on its base mechanics. That's one of the main problems: there's not much new to see after the first few levels, and since it's pretty though, you don't feel the urge to see what's next after a while, mostly feeling discouraged. The game pretty much remains the same all along, with very minor tweaks here and there, some of which just end up aggravating the player even more (one hit kill samurai, and ninja): the levels are all samey, the objectives also similar and, again, keep making things too difficult (time limits, no hit clauses, etc.) instead of funnier, the playable characters have several notable differences, but so few of them are actually viable if you want to be good at the game. The story is generic and boring, the cut scenes needlessly verbose and lacking any humour (I skipped a good chunk of them, thing which I basically never do in any game ever), the guy you work for is unsufferable; seems like the game tries to be smart and different with its setting and tone, but pretty much fails, ending up just being nonsensical. Problems aside, when all is said and done, while frustrating, the action in the game does work and feel stylish and cool. Hoped for more.

This game is:

DrArchon

OP

GAME #3 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - 5 Hours - 4/10 - 1/12/17

There's a lot of ways to describe this game in just a couple of words. I going to go with "Ambitious Schlock". This obviously budget game tries to emulate Sony's God of War series, and in a lot of ways it does. It's got big glamorous set-pieces, casual combat that's fairly satisfying, and a nice variety of weapons and powers. Marlow is also more likable than Kratos, so hey, that's a plus. For the first couple of minutes, I was having a blast and my jaw was agape at the level of budget spectacle on display. The diorama animatics are especially choice imo.

After that honeymoon period though, the problems really became apparent. Combat is dull and annoying as enemies simply ignore the fact that you're comboing them, meaning all of the encounters against tougher baddies turn into hit and run affairs. The platforming sections are also annoying as Marlow is awkward to control in the air and jumping feels imprecise. The framerate didn't help with this either, as it was stuttering pretty often during these bits. Also, the game crashed 8 times while I played it. Yes, I kept track. It's not exactly a long game either, and the enemy variety is pretty lackluster, with later enemies simply being recolors of earlier ones with more health

You can do a lot worse for a buck obviously, but I'd never recommend this at full price. Buy it for a laugh or watch someone else play it. There's real dedication on the part of the developers, but with performances issues out the ass and fairly humdrum gameplay, this game firmly sits in the "mediocre but interesting" pile.

Tizoc

header.jpg

A PnC Adventure game with pixel art graphics.
As you can tell from the title it involves space. A young cow herder is transported along with her herd of cows into a spaceship, and she must now find a way to defeat the tyranical leader of the ship to save her life.
The controls are pretty simple as you only click to move or interact and you hold the mouse button on items that you want to use with other stuff.
The game has an interesting dialog method- All forms of text be it dialog between characters or interacting with items will be said in rhymes. The rhyming is hit or miss and I found it middling at best, but I give them a B for effort.

It's a pretty short PnC, and can be beaten in under 2 hours. It is also available on iOS and Android. I'd still recommend it if you like PnC games and don't mind Pixel art.

Pomo

I'm generally terrible when it comes to finishing games but I'm gonna give this a go.

COMPLETED
01: Killer7 | ★★★★★ | Jan. 11th
02: Nier | ★★★★ | Jan. 26th
03. No More Heroes | ★★★★ | Feb. 7th

IN PROGRESS
Flower, Sun, and Rain

Tambini

K31cNra.png

#8 Star Fox Command ★★★ DS - Jan 13th - 2.30hrs
This game is fun once you get a hang on the controls but it only takes 90 mins to beat, there are mulitple endings but the mission structure is very repetitive so I stopped after my 2nd ending

Azriell

Saints Row - Gat out of Hell
Platform: PS4
Time: 04:25
Date: 01.13
Score: (4/5)

Saints Row is a series I like, but it is also a series that disappoints me. I love how crazy and over the top the games are: guns are crazy, varied, and ample; the powers available in Gat out of Hell are fun and cool; and the story is silly and fun. The quest system used in recent Saints, including Gat out of Hell, leaves a lot to be desired. Players simple choose what they want to do from a big list of tasks (many of which were diversions or side quests in the older games), get a few lines of dialogue, and then set out. It gives the game a directionless, meandering feel that takes away from the overall experience.

At this point, I hope to see a reboot or rebranding of sorts in the future. I'd like for the Saints to stay crazy, but maybe reel it in a little and give me characters I can actually care about. Gat out of Hell is what it is, however, and I enjoyed my time with it. More developers could do with releasing 4+ hour side games/stand alone expansions.

theBmZ

Original Post

1. Final Fantasy XV - 8/10. 65 hours
A nearly incomprehensible story is propped up by 4 great main characters, a fun combat system, and huge world to explore.

Next Game - The Order: 1886

Rhaknar

header.jpg

Game #11 - Jotun
Time: 4 hours

Fantastic action adventure game, with more focus on exploration than actual action. Most of the action in fact comes from the giant bosses you fight, as there is little else in the way of enemies throughout the zones. Its not very long but it still manages to be super varied in the zones it presents, which all come to life with the game's fantastic hand drawn graphics. Cool powers to collect, awesome narration, and a ton of norse mythology lore makes this one of my favorites in while.

header.jpg

Game #12 - Evoland
Time: 3.5 hours

Cute little homage to rpgs over the years, from zelda to final fantasy to diablo. If it was any longer it wouldnt work, but as is it was totally enjoyable. Just dont go in expecting an actual rpg or challenge, just play it for the various homages, both visual and mechanical. I wonder what they did in the sequel, if its more of a "actual" game, because the same schtick wouldnt really work a second time around.

Main Post

Original Post

header.jpg

#2 SteamWorld Heist (PC) - 11 Hrs 30 Mins (1/14/2017) - Score: 7.5/10
A nice blend of genres: a tactical squad based game with some elements evocative of the Worms series (you have to aim your shots manually). I loved it until the last third/quarter of the game, then it became more of a drag and I was glad when I finally reached the end boss. But overall, I still liked the game a lot.

In Progress
DEADBOLT
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action

febLey

OP

header.jpg

#4 | Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PS4) 9/10, ~2.5 hours
A really beautiful little game, it's like a co-op game that you play by yourself. The soundtrack is also very lovely.

Rhaknar

what's the "rule" on games you already played again? For example, I hd Darkest Dungeon in my 2016 list, but what if I do a new run (which I might very well do with the new Radiant mode that cuts down on the grind), would it be eligiable for 2017 again?

Spyware

what's the "rules" on games you already played again? For example, I hd Darkest Dungeon in my 2016 list, but what if I do a new run (which I might very well do with the new Radiant mode that cuts down on the grind), would it be eligiable for 2017 again?

Yep!

original post

Game 5: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4) - 7 hours

SPcpT84.gif

I mean, I usually thought that Bloodborne's difficulty was just fine. But some of the bosses here... Yeah, maybe because of NG+ in particular I had to sit down for quite a while.
Most of the new areas are amazing either way, great DLC for an already GOAT-tier game.

TM_WiiUVC_SuperMarioBros3.png

Game 6: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES Mini) - 6 hours

This was the first time I could complete this game, because I didn't have to leave the console powered for an entire playthrough. What a classic. The bite sized stages are just fun to plow through, particulary since they stay fresh throughout. They are also just filled with stuff to play with or explore. The controls are still amazing today and it was quite a leap compared to the first Super Mario Bros., obviously. You can really feel the difference between such a prime Nintendo title and what Nintendo makes since this decade or so.

mega-man-2-usa.png

Game 7: Megaman 2 (NES Mini)
- 4 hours

Finally I got to play a Megaman game. There's not really much to say. It's fun action platforming with great presentation and the concept of different routes is cool too. Surprisingly, it wasn't that hard. If anything, if there was a problem, it's that the few hard parts stuck out like a sore thumb. You can get through stages decently just to hit a road block because of some dumb trial & error warp block puzzle. Thankfully it wasn't all too annoying within the bigger picture, especially since the controls are good.
Also, I thought this would already have that yellow cyclops and the red Megaman clone. Guess not.

Blindy

latest

(Never got this game over throughout the playthrough but man this screen scared me as a little kid when I played this for the SNES)

2) Donkey Kong Country(New 3DS) 1/5-1/6

Confession to make here, this is my favorite series of all time. The DKC Trilogy is some of the finest platforming and gameplay ever for me and I figured after getting a new 3DS on black friday that I might as well treat myself to an all time classic series by getting all of the 3 games and playing them while commuting or at work. It kills time during lunch and on the ride home. Last time I played this game was back on an ZSNES emulator and while that gave me a good experience, there's nothing better than playing it on something other than the keyboard. Such an easy game to get into and to really play altogether. Music is amazing, gameplay is great, there's hardly anything negative I can say from a game standpoint. Sure the bosses are easy(Which is a reoccurring theme for the most part in this series) and I felt in comparison to future entries in this series that the bonus rounds didn't really offer up much purpose but that's purely nitpicking.

Took me 2 days officially but I finished the game under 2 hours and 30 minutes. Still a great timeless game altogether, I can never honestly get sick of it. Though the one problem I did end up dealing with in this version is when jumping very high up, you go off screen and in a level like the 1st level of the last world(The one you have to hit the fuel to keep the machine going or else you die) and in such tight jumps where you have to hit the next platform and avoid a Zinger, this was very frustrating. I also think it was a smudge off with the barrel shooting in this game, remembering it being much more crisp on the SNES. There were also 1-2 times that an enemy popped up out of the blue when moving onto the screen.

Altogether though the game is very short and (somewhat) challenging and the bosses do get reused but that's usually a common occurrence in the trilogy by Rare. Forgot just how short the game was which is why I happened to save this game as a game I play during Lunch/the commute at home though I got antsy and the final map and half I finished at home.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay? Well this is my favorite series of all time and while I might happen to find the game easy, that does not mean that it would be easy for anybody else giving this a 1st time try. It's a no brainer to give this series a try as a video gamer IMHO.

tumblr_inline_nsabyyumaQ1sirix5_500.gif

3) The Darkness(PS3) 1/2-1/8

Such mixed feelings on this game. I had always wanted to try this game for the sole basis of the whole The Crow meets The Punisher sort of deal with this comic always intrigued me and I had quite a bit of familiarity with the origins of this story. I also happen to know that Faith No More's Mike Patton oddly enough was the voice actor of the main protagonist, Jackie Estacado which was a pretty odd choice but given his ability with his voice to project it in so many ways, it makes sense from The Darkness standpoint to have that.

I had to notch the difficulty down from hard to normal in large part because you die in like 2 shots to the 1st couple of enemies on hard to the point that I kept on dying and needing to restart over and over again.

My initial impressions about 1-2 hours in was that this game felt very outdated with the AI doing the same 1-2 cover moves making it predictable and I wasn't sure what to think of the game but as the game progressed, the very intriguing story and gameplay that is helped immensely by the Darkness powers because this game is bare bones and gets borderline mediocre with it's gun play, especially in 2017.

The storytelling and presentation is rather good though the side missions were lousy and featured just killing a group of enemies and reporting back to the person who asked you to do the deed. Didn't even bother to finish up the side quests since there's no trophy support to even warrant finishing up every single thing in this game.

Without the powers that you get, this would have been an unbearable game to play through and at given portions, this game randomly converts into being like Medal of Honor with some random war trench fights with AI enemies in some bland gun play. Thankfully you can summon some minions to help you fight and there are 4 different minions offers in this game so not all is lost.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay. I'll side with neither because let's be honest, you are not missing out by not playing this game. It feels outdated, the gun play is lousy, there are portions in this game that get unbearable to have to deal with, game features tons of backtracking on trains that seemingly wastes a few minutes and some mediocre sidequests. What is good with this game is the story, presentation and the darkness powers. There's so much good and bad together that I can't say I would recommend you to go out of your way to play it but at the same time, it's not terrible by any means and you aren't totally wasting your time to play this game.

giphy.gif

4) Metal Slug Anthology(PS4) 1/7-1/10

(I was torn to count this as one entry or seven but honestly given Metal Slug X is like a carbon copy of 2 but with a little more content and add the fact that each entry is like an hour at most long, I decided to go with the former and not cheese it up....otherwise this challenge would be a breeze lol)

I think heading into Metal Slug, it's one of those games that you best know what you are getting yourself into. You can expect a ton of deaths and some pretty brutal bullet hell parts where at times you aren't even sure what hit you as there's so much shit going on in the game. There were some dropped frames at given points and especially as to how vital it is to have the proper reactionary time to survive, it got somewhat frustrating to play.

My biggest pet peeve with the game is that there's a second delay with the jumping in this game and this is a very huge deal, especially with such tight jumps and so little margin of error to make these jumps. But besides that huge glowing problem, this is just endless fun and if I remember you can knock out each Metal Slug within an hour so you are getting about 8 hours altogether for this Anthology that was on the PS2 but has been trophyfied(Made up word) for the PS4....though some of the trophies are ridiculous like not having to use more than 5 continues for a trophy or rescuing 10 prisoners in a single level(Which means you cannot die a single time while doing this, good luck). But I got this game on sale for like 7 dollars so a Metal Slug for a dollar is a steal given it costs a quarter to start up a game and you have infinite continues to move forward in the game(Had to burn 24 continues to beat Metal Slug 1..........)

There were portions throughout this game that I just tanked the bosses by continuously dying to get 10 bombs and chuck all of them while in my frames of invincibility. Sounds awful but my other problem with this game is the game doesn't change the onslaught of enemies if you single player the game or do co op which I don't necessarily get. There are just portions in this game that you suffer without a partner so if you do end up playing this, you want to make sure you get a partner to play along with. You put yourself at a disadvantage without one.

They do reward you with beating the 1st boss and finishing the game as trophies but the other trophies are very unreasonable like beating a game without using more than 5 continues when the game is stingy about extra lives(Don't recall ever getting one) or rescuing more than 10 prisoners at least one time(Note if you die once while gathering up __ prisoners, you have to restart all over again so you really have to 1 shot a stage and I only did that with Metal Slug VI in the 1st level)

But if you can ignore these admittedly picky reasons, you have yourself about 6-7 hours of pure fun and carnage of a game that is tough but never daunting to finishing. None of the characters do much different than one another besides the last game so it just becomes a matter of who looks cool or who you like.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay. If you and a buddy want a couple of hours or want to spend a lazy day just trying to run through some senseless violence in a fast paced run and gun, this is your series. Just know ahead of time you will die, you will die a lot. Cheap deaths galore, and deaths that you can't really avoid. Add about a near full second delay response from your controller input and just be aware that if you die a lot, it's not necessarily your fault. As long as you can have fun and just laugh about it, you are playing this Anthology the right way. May god ever help you if you want this platinum trophy though.

That and well.....

ROC-KET LAUN-CHA! Dat soundbite. Not going to lie, I kamikaze'd to get the damn R letter to hear them feels.

latest

5) The Darkness 2(PS3) 1/10-1/13

Playing this game quickly after playing the 1st one, I came to realize that this game blows the 1st one out of the water in the gameplay department....as it should being it came out 4-5 years later. I think the game being more linear and not having the slow and unnecessary subway traveling was a change for the better. Though what this game loses that the 1st game had was stealth, particularly stealth kills which was a vital part of the 1st game. This game is all guns blazin and nothing else. You still get to use the Black Hole and of course you get to flaunt your darkness powers now more than ever but gone are the cheap and easy kills from afar. The abilities of regeneration, shield, ammo or power up charge(I think?) when staggering an enemy to help your cause is HUGE and vital.

This is a pretty good game that shines up the 1st game with ease. But speaking of shine, I will say the light in this game is ridiculously OP(Played on 2nd hardest difficulty) and even the hint of it makes you absolutely easy pickings so you really have to watch where you are since you are just a man with his gun(s) at that point and some areas there's really no way around it. Biggest gripe I can have with this game is the lack of ammo around had to have been the sole reason I would die consistently in this game, you would spend literarily minutes just running around the area just begging for ammo and when you don't get it, especially in lightened places, you are dead meat and can do nothing but run around and hope the enemies miss (Which they have very good aim). Wish the ammo placement was a tad bit more generous as you do not get enough ammo after an ammo execution to be quite frank.

The game is rather quick and the 1st game does outdo the 2nd game in this department and I wish the main antagonists had more buildup, particular the cronies of the main antagonist who get introduced, fight em, and then die off...yeah. Game quickly moves you place to place, no real time for explanation and again I do like linear style games but it Is something to consider when playing this title.

I will say the new voice actor for Jackie in this game comes off a bit too tryhardish, I never would envision Jackie Estacado's voice to be so Italian mobster-ish, especially coming off of the 1st game, it felt a bit over exaggerated and unnecessary. Did bother me in given portions but not enough to have me put the game down.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay. In comparison to the 1st Darkness, it's not even a contest. The 1st Darkness is one you can honestly skip, especially when the game wraps everything in that game up in a nutshell in the 1st 3 minutes. This one does hold up well by FPS standards and you will get a nice 6-7 hour game out of this. Def. worth a rent and a playthrough, the ending was quite a twist and the story telling is just as good as it was in the 1st one. There are some annoying segments in the game and again the negative blemishes I mentioned 3 paragraphs up kind of speak about them loosely but besides that, a pretty solid game all around.

I did finish Donkey Kong Country 2(Not 100%, might still work on that soon) but wanted to just put 4 games out there and give my current playthrough, Alan Wake some company as games 6 and 7.

febLey

original post

Game 5: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4) - 7 hours

SPcpT84.gif

I mean, I usually thought that Bloodborne's difficulty was just fine. But some of the bosses here... Yeah, maybe because of NG+ in particular I had to sit down for quite a while.
Most of the new areas are amazing either way, great DLC for an already GOAT-tier game.
Even in NG some of these Bosses are really difficult. But in NG+ they are a good bit harder. Ludwig the Holy Blade, Laurence the First Vicar and especially The Orphan of Kos were giving me a really hard time.

Original post

O4rNlnfl.jpg

3. Forza Horizon 3 (PC/XB1, 2016) - 15:15 (+5:58 in 2016)
Completed the final showcase, +40%/+45% credits (above average/highly skilled drivatars). 32.3% overall completion.

Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative was a necessary step to regaining the trust of people who'd been burned by the company's previous attempts to wade into the PC gaming ecosystem. It's one of their boldest moves yet: PC versions of their Xbox One games, simultaneous release, and buying one version digitally gets you the other automatically. This is great because if for whatever reason Microsoft screws up the PC version of a game, you at least have the Xbox One version to fall back on.

The downside is that such a fallback is necessary at all. In Forza Horizon 3's case, it absolutely is. Playing that game on my current PC rig, a not-unsubstantial GTX 970/i5 3570k, is at best only occasionally painful. It can run at 30fps for the most part, though the whole time there's always the feeling of something slightly off--weird hitches here and there, slight bursts of input lag, a general sense of instability. At its worst, Horizon 3 feels awful to play, with framerates dropping into the teens and horrific speed-up-slow-down jerkiness that makes precise car control impossible. The PC version of Horizon 3 destroys many of the things that make the Horizon series great: responsive controls and tight racing. Not everyone experiences the same problems I've had, though. This would be fine except that there seems to be no way to predict who will have major issues and who won't. Therefore, I can't in good conscience recommend the PC version of Horizon 3. Forget that it exists.

After about five hours or so of intermittent racing and troubleshooting, I finally left the PC version behind and switched to the Xbox One version. Once I did this, my Forza Horizon experience improved a thousand fold. Here was the Horizon game I was expecting, a place where I didn't have to worry about performance issues and input lag and whether time would flow normally or in fits and starts. And once you can actually play the game properly, Horizon 3 becomes immensely more enjoyable. It's so easy to fall into old habits again, roam the countryside and drift every corner and race random drivatars in pick-up races.

For better or for worse, though, this is basically Horizon 2 with a new coat of paint. Most of the features that are genuinely new, like convoys and the drivatar festival lineup, leave little to no impact on how you play the game. The overhaul Horizon received between the first and second game is missing here, though for the most part Horizon 3 doesn't need major changes. One thing I really, really wish they would drop or tweak, though, is cross-country races, which I didn't like very much in Horizon 2 and still don't like here. The wide-open point-to-point races just seem to be invitations for you or your opponents to take jumps badly because reasons, though at least this time there's a lot less slamming into random trees.

New problems crop up with Horizon 3 as well. First, blueprint events. New to Horizon 3 is the ability to make your own exhibition races and bucket list challenges, and then share them with the wider community. In theory, this is a neat idea; it means the game will get a constant flow of newly remixed content, especially with the more freeform bucket list challenges. In practice, blueprint events suffer from all the same issues you see with user-generated content in games: a lot of it is just bad. No one should ever be allowed to create a low-HP cult classics race in a construction site with lots of jumps, because that just means a whole lot of tiny cars divebombing the dirt every lap and flipping onto their roofs. Or how about the bucket list challenge that asks you to make a danger jump, except the run-up to the jump is in the opposite direction from your approach? Worse, unlike the built-in challenges, blueprint challenges have no difficulty rating. So some of them will be impossibly easy because they were created by someone much worse than you at driving, and some will be impossibly hard for similar reasons.

Second, I feel like Horizon 3 is a lot worse about matching you up in races with cars of roughly equal ability. Several times I was in races where I drove cleanly and did about as well as my car could be expected to, only to drop back to the second half of the pack (or even last place in one particularly bad race) because every other car was faster. And since you can't change your car without backing out of the race entirely (never mind tuning or upgrading it, which requires you to head back to a festival site), you tend to stick with a car much longer than you actually should. It's a recipe for frustration.

But all that said, Forza Horizon 3 didn't feel any worse than 2 did, and though it still lacks some of the unique character of the first game, it's still a giant car playground for you to bounce around in. In some ways, it even starts to intrude onto Gran Turismo's turf when it comes to reverence for motoring history; the barn finds in Horizon 3, more so than its predecessor, seem pulled from the more obscure corners of the vehicle encyclopedia. Partially this is because of the heavy Australian content, but even so it's fun to learn about these weird cars, and I could've done with a lot more of it. All in all, Horizon 3 does a great job of celebrating the joys of driving. Just play it on an Xbox One instead of a PC for now.

OP.

---

AOqr5XA.png

Game 1 - Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS) - 5/5 - 15 hours, 33 minutes

One of my absolute favorite games of all time. The soundtrack, characters, and general atmosphere here are nearly unmatched in the medium for me. It really is too bad that we never saw more of Kyle Hyde after the sequel to this.

This was actually my first time playing the game in NG+ so the additional dialogue and other minor changes were a real treat. I'm hoping to hop into Last Window really soon.

so beat these game this week

-pokemon moon : amazing game i love the changes they made ,the world , that you can ride the pokemons i beat the pokemon league it was hard, tried 2 time to finally beat them

-Gear of or wars 4 xbox one, great game too played with the wife i enjoyed the story, the first chapter was boring after that it was fun

-Mario 3d world on the 3ds- nice, fun and cool game, last game was hard

Next game to finish

-Halo 5 xbox one
-yoshi woolly world on wii u
-Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
-Strechmo on 3ds

Original post

bIAClvVl.png

4. Verde Station (PC, 2014) - 1:20
Completed the game. Twice.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that while the story is somewhat interesting, it goes by really quickly and is highly prone to breakage. I definitely didn't experience the game the way I was supposed to, and I think that influenced my opinion of it. That said, as a fifty-cent pickup during the Steam winter sale, it would be ridiculous to complain too much, and it is an interesting forty minutes or so. The second playthrough helped fill in some blanks but didn't lead to any huge revelations.

Stoze

Game #2:
DEADBOLT (PC) / 1.9.17 / 7.5 hours / 1.5 playthroughs

Deadbolt is a really cool game. While the Hotline Miami/Gunpoint hybrid it often gets touted as is a fairly apt description, Deadbolt really is a worthy title on its own. It's fast paced yet contemplative, and greatly rewards taking your time to think through the level and what options are available to you. Headshots remain a constant satisfaction, as does toilet-fragging a zombie thug, or knocking on a door to lure an enemy over so you can greet them with a sledge hammer swing.

Where I take issue with Deadbolt is that the further you get the more linear (and longer) the levels become and you get less viable options, resulting in a lot of trial and error and not a lot of room for improvisation. This kind of flies in the face of the game's recommendation to "try new routes", when in the end it really comes down to trying to execute an already found optimal route, which can easily be failed by a gun sitting next to a door or not noticing what weapon you have out. A counterpoint to that complaint would be how Deadbolt sometimes utilizes this linearity for great unique levels in an already varied catalog of them, most notably later levels like the trap boss level, the one where you get a hunting rifle at the docks, or the final boss and finale which is great.

Game #3:
Doom64 EX (PC) / 1.11.17 / 6.5 hours / All 32 maps
On my quest to play the older Doom games, I think I've hit my favorite. Granted this isn't technically old, EX is an near perfect recreation of the original on 64 with some modern tweaks that you'd see in a source port like GZDoom, but the core art and design is completely untouched. The level design in this game is top notch from start to finish, and with fast, crazy arenas like "Even Simpler" and "The Spiral" sprinkled between longer traditional levels, the pacing is similarly excellent. The extra visual touches with lighting and color not only look nice but play into map visualization as well, like putting a blue keycard in a blue tinted room. The game feels fantastic on M&KB (turn up that difficulty to compensate) and the weapons feel punchier than they've ever been.

The main complaint I have is the number of enemies feels on the low side most of the time, and creates frequent scenarios where you're just dropped in a corridor with a single hell knight or small group of enemies. Also as much as I love the new style and brooding ambiance on the soundtrack, it did wane on me a bit by the end of the game and I missed some of those upbeat midis. Still, Doom 64 is a great FPS game holds up extraordinarily well especially with the EX version.

Game #4:
N++ (PC) / 1.13.17 / 24.5 hours / All main solo episodes (Intro, N++ & Legacy episodes rows A-E & X-19)

I have very mixed feelings on N++. The game is a very impressive package hosting slick visual design, tons of content, and a phenomenal soundtrack (seriously, it's probably my favorite soundtrack of the year). The core mechanics are both unique and satisfying, providing momentum and precision based platforming that truly carries the game. When the level design is solely focused on challenging and improving those skills, it's great. When it doesn't, which is sadly a lot of the time as you play more of it, it sucks. I can't count the number of instances I meticulously trekked back and forth multiple times through a pacing killer of a longer, more complex level, only to be faced with a homing rocket or a similar "choke point" at the end which then becomes the singular challenging component and a trial and error time waster. Then there's the dozens of bland, small symmetrical levels that just throw some random opposition at you, the levels where you have to painstakingly analyse how to maneuver through a nauseating clump of enemies, or levels that ditch all their challenge in favor of a boring gold collect-a-thon, and more.

Too much of the design hinges on the annoying enemies and gimmicks rather than the actual structure and strengths of N's interesting controls. It's also surprising how little difference in quality there is between the older Legacy levels and new N++ ones, but I guess that's both a good and bad thing. That said, the core movement and soundtrack somehow managed to keep me going though over 1,000 levels of this game. I think despite my issues with N++ - which I kind of feel bad about voicing because I can't imagine the amount of work that went into this game - I do actually like it overall and would recommend it.

Main Post

Spyware

Alright, now I finally like my "banners" for real. Gonna stick with this (I hope). Gets a little annoying when I can only find dark pics of games but I think it'll be fine :D

IYp8syH.png

SteamWorld Dig - PC - Completed Jan 7
At last! After three years of putting it off I played through this again and got everything I was missing! The reason it took me so long was "Master Prospector". That achievement requires you to gather a bunch of the two currencies, never die and speedrun through the game at the same time. I'm not really good at stressful things and generally avoid anything with a timer, but I adore this game. I truly do. I fell in love with it when I first played it and it's been a constant annoyance that I hadn't completed it. But now I have! And it's still a great and wonderful and cool and amazing game. :D

lS33mNy.png

Alan Wake - PC - Completed Jan 9
I 100 %-ed this way back near release on 360. Got it for PC in a sale or something way back (I guess? No idea!), and I have been wanting to replay it for ages. Now I did and I'm happy! It holds up really well. I don't really like the story that much but the gameplay is really fun. I'm usually a hoarder in games, always thinking I need the good stuff I find "later" (that moment never arrives) but this game punishes that behaviour and makes you use all that good stuff all the time. Which means the battles get way more fun. I love when games force me to stop doing stupid things. ;)

xK3OGw1.png

ABZÛ - PC - Completed Jan 9
People keep comparing this to Journey and I can't see it. For me this is much more like Flower than Journey. I liked it a lot, it was soothing and just what I needed at the time. I had some struggles with the controls in the first 15 minutes, but after getting used to how it worked I really enjoyed the game. It could have been a little prettier but generally I liked the look and I loved the audio. Collected everything aside from a single collectiblel on my first playthrough so it was an easy completion. Also, more games should have my favourite animal in them (orcas!)​

0Q9Brzk.png

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors - Nintendo DS - Completed Jan 13
Late to the party, as always, but what a party! I got pulled in immediately and played every single moment I could. I went through the bad endings first and ended it all with the true ending. I think I enjoyed the bad endings more than the last bit of the true ending tho. Some puzzles were annoying but most made enough sense to get through them smoothly. Gonna take a break before continuing with VLR but I'm looking forward to it.​

----------------
Master Post

JaCy

Original post

1: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
I finally finished after two years, I got to the Triforce pieces bit and had no idea that they made it easier than the GC version.

OP

Game 6: Doom (PS4/X1/PC) - About 16-18 Hrs (1/13/2017)

#For someone that doesn't enjoy shooters that much, this was welcome for me to play. Felt like an action shooter with constant movement and minor platforming in mini-playground/sandbox areas where you use the environment, what you find in the environment and what you have to your advantage in combat. It felt good to keep moving and wreck hellish monsters up close and personal or from a distance. With a rocking soundtrack and great combat, I was taken away by Doom as someone that generally doesn't play shooters.

chrixter

Full list

A large Mario update:

3. New Super Mario Bros.
★★☆☆☆ - 8h 29m - 1/6/2017
I suppose it would've felt fresher had I played it when it first came out. But having already played NSMBW and NSMBU, there was barely anything interesting to be found here in the original.

4. New Super Mario Bros. 2
★★★★☆ - 5h 24m - 1/7/2017
Really enjoyable, surprisingly. The Super Leaf made the game a joy to play. It's visually pleasing as well thanks to its vibrant colors and the 3D effect. The coin collectathon gimmick is whatever, though.

5. New Super Luigi U
★★☆☆☆ - 3h 55m - 1/8/2017
I never fully adjusted to Luigi's floatier, more slippery physics, and I'm not a fan of the stricter time limits and shorter levels. Didn't enjoy the game.

6. Super Mario Land
★★★☆☆ - 0h 41m - 1/9/2017
Probably the worst controls and physics of any Mario game, but it's still worth playing to see how much it oddly deviates from the rest of the series.

7. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
★★★☆☆ - 1h 44m - 1/9/2017
Tight, enjoyable package with some neat ideas that you won't find in any other Mario game, such as the Bunny power-up and low-gravity space levels. In many ways it feels like a Game Boy counterpart to Super Mario World.

8. Super Mario Bros.
★★★☆☆ - 0h 57m - 1/9/2017
Still a solid platformer despite its stiff physics. I appreciate how the level design gradually introduces new enemies and obstacles, ramping up its difficulty curve at a fair pace. Unlike...

9. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES)
★☆☆☆☆ - 2h 07m - 1/11/2017
Stiff physics combined with frustrating level design made this one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had - much worse than I had remembered. It's hard to believe Nintendo designed this game considering the amount of trial and error and other BS involved here. I can certainly see why it didn't get a U.S. release until much later with several tweaks to make it more tolerable.

10. Super Mario Bros. 2
★★★★☆ - 2h 22m - 1/12/2017
A far better sequel to the original SMB than Lost Levels was. Love how quirky it is, even if its quirkiness is a result of it being initially developed as a non-Mario game. Fun new pick-up and throw mechanics and boss fights that utilize them well. If you don't use Peach, you're doing it wrong.

11. Super Mario Bros. 3
★★★★★ - 3h 38m - 1/12/2017
Even better than I had remembered. The physics and controls feel just right, and there's so much variety and creativity packed into the game that it's hard to complain about its relatively short levels. Excellent from start to finish.

Dryk

Main Post - Part 1

#2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: 3.8 hours
Much more traditional Mario game than the first Land, apart from a non-linear structure. Not sure how memorable it will be compared to the first but it's probably a better game.

#3: Mass Effect 3: 53 hours
I'm writing the bulk of this entry just before the final mission just in case the dreaded ending ruins everything. So far it's been a very good entry into the series with a few of the problems I had with 2 fixed. The weapons and powers are more customisable after the horrid streamlining, though the game is still largely a series of linear corridors in which cover based shooting takes place. Honestly a lot of my positivity is because I'm used to the idea of Mass Effect 2 style games at this point. If I had skipped 2 all of my problems with that game would survive with a vengeance here.

It was nice to see so many old characters back again, and so many arcs drawn to a close. But the simplicity of resolving conflicts without sacrifice bugged me somewhat coming from something like Deus Ex. As time passes it becomes more jarring that complex problems are solved by having enough Paragon points and select the "resolve situation" button. Speaking of I like that I was given more license to take renegade options sometimes without ruining the game.

The DLC is definitely a drawback too, with a lot of backstory locked behind it. If From Ashes and Leviathan were included in the game from the start I feel the reception would have been seen more favourably by a lot of people.

The main new mechanic, War Assets can basically be ignored, but I still really enjoyed looking for them. If you're willing to put in most of the narrative legwork yourself it can feel like you're pulling the galaxy together to fight the Reapers, just don't expect it to mean anything yet. And this is where I leave to go play the last mission, with an overall positive outlook on the game. I'm looking forward to Andromeda now because it seems to be drifting further in the direction of Mass Effect 1's tone, I hope they can pull it off.

Okay so the ending's fine. I can see why the original version was hated so much but honestly it's fine. Great game.

Currently playing: Dunno yet!

Tambini

Original Post

UfSIGIs.png

#9 Gears of War 3 ★★★★ Xbox 360 - Jan 15th - 7 hours
Really enjoyed this one, appreciated the brighter colour pallet and locations and the combat feels tighter than before. Also it's a real looker for a 360 game.

Spyware

Okay so the ending's fine. I can't see why the original version was hated so much but honestly it's fine. Great game.
Happy you liked it! I wish I could too.
If you are interested in knowing why so many people hates the ending with a passion, this is the best explanation of it that I've seen.
I can understand why people are fine with it. They probably saw the series differently from the beginning.
Personally, I will never forgive Bioware for what must be the worst ending in game history. :p

Hustler

Original Post

thumbnail.png

Game #6 - Super Mario Run ~4 hours Completed on January 12th, 2017
Platform: IOS
I'm impressed how much I actually enjoyed the game and how well the mechanics works on a phone. For the amount of content and replay ability $10 is pretty cheap. One negative, I wish you could see your global rank since I have no Nintendo friends. 9/10.

Papers_Please_-_Title_Logo.png

Game #7 - Papers Please ~3 hours completed on January 15th 2017
Platform: Steam
Loved the bleakness of working in a booth in Russia and the randomness to the game. I've completed the game 3 times and will try to get more endings later on. 10/10

1768058_0.jpg

Game #8 - Rocket League 14 hours (this year) as of January 15th, 2017
Platform: Steam
Play this game for about an hour after the kids go to bed. All-time favorite multiplayer game and I've been playing since it was released on PS+. I've since migrated to PC, I'm a sucker for more FPS. 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom