• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

Burbeting

Banned
I didn’t play any bad games this year, which I’m grateful about. I played 15 games released in 2016, so my top 10 has 2/3 of them. No games got perfect scores this year, but that’s because I almost never give 10/10 or even 9.5/10. So 9/10 is already exceptionally great game for me, while 8/10 is a great game.

1. Salt & Sanctuary ; I was never able into get into the soulsborne games. I started Demon’ Souls three times, and played Bloodborne for five hours earlier this year during one night, but the games just… never clicked with me. But Salt & Sanctuary did. Clearing the rooms and defeating the bosses felt very fulfilling, and the level design with its Metroid-vania feel won me over like no other game in the same style had. In a frenzy of evenings that turned into sleepless nights, I cleared the game and nabbed the platinum trophy. What made the game even more impressive to me was how it was made by such a small development team. The game might finally force me to retry Bloodborne from the start, see if I can finally manage to click with that game. 9/10

2. Uncharted 4 – A Thief’s End ; While the game did not have much of the old “feel” of the Uncharted games, what did have was the most refined combat of the yet for the series, and some absolutely touching writing that I wasn’t expecting at all. Add in all of the beautiful vistas and the enjoyable characters, I was happy to finally see Drake and the ensemble cast get the set-off they deserve. 9/10

3. The Witness ; Very frustrating, yet so, so rewarding. The Island is a peculiar place to explore, and the game slowly teaches you to it’s peculiar puzzles and structure. 8.5/10

4. Final Fantasy XV ; A mess of a game, with all of the different pieces just screaming lack of polish, and plot that was bastardised to no end. And yet… it still works very well. Somehow all these different messy parts mesh together well, with the road trip of the protagonists as the core glue that gets everything together. The core gameplay loop is just simply very good. 8/10

5. Ratchet and Clank ; A very well done remake. The base gameplay is as good as Ratchet has ever been, and the graphical quality is has to be seen in order to be believed. The game does falter with level design being uninspired in the new levels, the soundtrack being very lackluster, same with the writing. But those things don’t make the gameplay itself any less enjoyable than what it was. 8/10

6. Gravity Rush Remastered ; A good Vita game made even better with a remaster. Really excited for Gravity Rush 2! 8/10

7. Umineko ; Just the question arcs were released this year, which is why the game is “only” 7th. The questions are great, but the payoff is what elevated Umineko into greatness for me. Still, great writing and incredible music, but also some really padded pacing and not very stellar art. 8/10

8. World of Final Fantasy ; A very peculiar title, with lot of charm and fun. It’s clear that the developers had lot of fun making this one. Still, just charm won’t carry a game, and sadly not all of the mechanics were up to par. The battle system was quite poor, and the dungeon design was too repetitive to carry most of the gameplay. Still, a very nice, fun experience. 7/10

9. Steins;Gate 0 ; Still in progress playing this one, and the writing is still very, very good. But it all feels… a bit fillery in a sense. Right now I’m giving the game a 7/10 based on first 12 hours. It might have risen up, but there isn’t enough for this title for me to play it to the end before voting period ends, and I wanted it in my top 10!

10. Trackmania Turbo ; A very fun, but also very frustrating arcade racer that demands perfect accurary after a while. 7/10

Sulaco

1. The Last Guardian ; Utterly, utterly abysmal controls at times but when it works the gameplay is mesmerising. Trico is a marvel of AI wizardry and painstaking craftsmanship. The detailed, sometimes Gigeresque, environments are jaw dropping and that ending was better than any movie I've seen for a long, long time. So happy Sony stuck with this game but its baffling that they couldn't perfect the camera or the controls after all this time.

2. No Man's Sky ; I had a really good time but it was definitely a €30 game unwisely saddled with a €60 price / marketing budget.

3. Ratchet & Clank ; Very slick graphics and a nice mix of platforming and shooting.

4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Stunning graphics and I liked the slower pace coupled with more platforming.

5. Rise of The Tombraider ;

6. Abzu ; Gorgeous looking game, if a little short on things to do / replay value.

7. Resident Evil 4 ;

8. Axiom Verge ;

1. Last Guardian ; I thought after such a long wait, there would be no way it would live up to any expectations I had. which may have lowered expectations, which meant... well something. but regardless, absolutely loved every moment of it when I played it, and my favorite team ico game.
2. Overwatch ; Have yet to play a blizzard game ive disliked, they keep the streak going here.
3. Doom ; RIP AND TEAR UNTIL IT IS DONE. one of the best shooter campaigns i've played in forever
4. Stardew Valley ; Harvest Moon series has turned to shit pretty recently with way too many cutscenes that go on too long and don't have a purpose. Most of the first spring is spent with tutorial bullshit and I just want to farm. Stardew Valley is perfect
5. Hitman ; The episodic approach for hitman is perfect. Gives you plenty of time to want to explore each scenario and play it out in different ways on your way to mastery.
6. Final Fantasy XV; if they fixed some of the story stuff and provide better context for some character motivations, it would be a top 3 FF in the series for me. As is, its a flawed but still really awesome game that I put 50 hours into in 3 days.
7. Titanfall 2 ; Neat campaign, made a lot of multiplayer improvements that I had a lot of fun with.
8. Ratchet & Clank ; great weapons and platforming, one of my favorites in the series.
9. Super Hot ; an awesome gimmick that didn't outstay its welcome and stayed original through the entire gameplay.
10. XCOM 2 ; new style of being the attackers and being on the move with strict timers and everything was stressful and incredibly fun.

Honorable Mentions
x. Street Fighter V; they nailed the gameplay for a street fighter, but bungled most everything around it. Loved it though.
x. Style Savvy ; ludicrous amount of content in an awesome game that I couldn't put down.
x. Hyper Light Drifter ; just didn't put enough time into this one but had a blast with it every time I played
x. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; played the first chapter, seems incredibly promising and I like what they've done with it so far. Might go up on the list if I played more in time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
When this gets tallied, there's one silly stat I'd like to see. For Doom, how many times does the phrase "rip and tear" show up in the comments?

I know it shows up in mine and I've read it several times in others. Might be fun to have the actual number when we're done.

It's definitely in mine and I don't care. Very apt motto for the game.

sn00zer

1. The Witness ; Top 10 of all time. The ONLY game that had completely new mechanics the enitre 20 to 30 hrs I played. Every time I sat down I had to relearn a new skill, think about puzzles in a new way, or just spend my time exploring a vast beautiful island.
2. PSVR ; While no single experience I had with PSVR can stand up next to a "complete" game, by and large my best gaming memories this year all came from PSVR. REZ Area X, THUMPER, Arkham, Playroom, Star Wars VR.... really feels like the future and the future is bright.
3. Hitman Episode 2 ; While I want to put the whole Hitman game in here Hitman Ep. 2 is just head and shoulders above any game level Ive played before. Just master class in encouraging and rewarding exploration and one of the few games to just let the player go.
4. The Last Guardian ; Didnt hit me as hard as others, but absolutely deserving to stand alongside SotC and Ico
5. Titanfall 2 ; Just a well made game. Doesnt break too much ground, but it does what it does very very well.
6. Overcooked! ; Best couch co-op since Portal 2. Really one of the few cooperative games that requires cooperation
I go into a lot more detail here of why I chose what I chose https://youtu.be/6E2ohgu8p9Q

And my friends much more shooter-y list https://youtu.be/9-klG-EMgSM

KodaRuss

1. Titanfall 2 ; This was a pretty tough year for me to pick a favorite between my top two but this game checks all of my boxes and has me continuing to come back to the MP. Love the different game modes and the feel of the movement as both a Titan and a Pilot. The Campaign is the best FPS Campaign I have played in a very long time. Love this game.
2. The Last Guardian; A huge success after such a long wait. Loved every second of it, made me laugh and cry not many games can do that.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Just a spectacular game all around. Loved the characters and the backstory. I really really enjoyed exploring the end of the game and finding out what had happened in the past.
4. Dark Souls 3 ; I thought I was going to be worn out of Souls when this game dropped but I was wrong, another great addition to the series. Not as good as Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne but still just a ton of fun to play, explore and experience.
5. Inside ; This game was a gem in a lot of ways. Really enjoyed the puzzles and the atmosphere was something else. Best Indie of the year for sure.
6. Doom ; Still working through this one but I love it so far. Glad that we are seeing solid FPS campaigns again.
7. Oxenfree ; Never been huge in adventure games but this was a great ride. Story, Dialogue and atmosphere were great. I will definitely keep an eye on this studio because this game was fun.
8. Firewatch ; I was really excited for this game but the performances issues kinda scared me away at launch but I recently beat it and it was a great experience. Loved the idea of the game and enjoyed working my way through the story/mystery.
9. The Witness ; Really enjoyed this game and learning how to complete most of the puzzles. Some of them were pretty damn tough and had me stumped for a while but overall it was just a genius game that is incredibly impressive.
10. The Division ; Looking back on this game I have good memories, it could have been a lot better at launch and there were things that just made no sense at times to me. I am giving it another go soon after hearing the updates have been well received.

Honorable Mentions
x. Abzu ; Beautiful game, Loved playing through it.
x. Ratchet and Clank ; Great remake, lots of fun.

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; top notch world design and exploration made it my favorite gameplay experience of the year. underrated ambient soundtrack and decent story foreshadowing kept it my most enjoyable (despite the unsatisfying ending) story experience, too.
2. XCOM 2 ;
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ;
4. Firewatch ;
5. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 ;

My favorite recurring write up is for FFXV

"A mess...but still good tho"

SFV also.

The definitive GAF top 10 GotY list of it's great BUT...

FF XV
It could have been the best but it done fucked up, but at least it ain't the Lightning trilogy right?

SFV
This was a great quarter of a game I paid full price for, plus it's now half a game!

Overwatch
FUUUUUUCK THIS GAME.....of the year

Uncharted 4
Sure the pacing blows chunks and there wasn't nearly enough gameplay but when there WAS gameplay it was...okay, whatever I'm just here for the cutscenes

Paper Mario Colour Splash
It's great when you're not in battles which unfortunately constitutes like half the game

Dark Souls 3
It's more Dark Souls *yawn*, on the other hand it's more Dark Souls

Pokemon Go
This gameplay is the absolute drizzling shits if you can call it gameplay but I talked to people as a result, there is faith in humanity after all.

Inside
I watched it on youtube lulz, playing is for chumps

Fire Emblem Fates
I felt so damn smart besting those fiendish conquest maps, then I felt braindead post map continuing to endure conquest's trash tier fan fiction story

The Last Guardian
This game handles like a broken shopping trolley but I LOVE YOU TRICO

(all in jest GAF, now hopefully this doesn't somehow overwrite my ballot)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My favorite recurring write up is for FFXV

"A mess...but still good tho"

I'd say FFXV is one of the only games I've encountered that people experienced simultaneously joy and disappointment.

venom473

1. Doom ; Biggest surprise hit for me in a very long time, been a while since I had so much fun with an FPS campaign.
2. Dark Souls 3 ; I felt that it combined all the greatest aspects of the previous Souls games and made for a wonderful experience.
3. Overwatch ; One of the few games that most of the people I know bought and loved, it's a blast to play with a group of friends as a go-to multiplayer game.
4. Stardew Valley ; I was so happy when I found out this game existed, because I had been craving a Harvest Moon clone for quite some time. Loved every second of it.
5. Titanfall 2 ; Fantastic singleplayer and multiplayer both, although I have to admit that the latter was rather short-lived for me.
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Even though it kinda failed to reproduce the fascination I had with Human Revolution and had its fair share of flaws, it was still a great game.
7. Oxenfree ; I'm a sucker for this type of setting and enjoyed it a lot.
8. Firewatch ; Great experience with a weak ending.
9. Abzû ; Can't quite keep up with the comparable Journey, but a beautiful game nonetheless.
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Fun game, but I vastly prefer the 2013 reboot to this.

m5ub47m.png

1. Overwatch ; This game has burrowed in and infected me like an alien parasite. Every month, I’m glued to see what’s been changed and added. Blizzard has done a phenomenal job turning this game into a service that I keep coming back to. Action is blazing fast and intensely satisfying and I’m still learning nuances hundreds of hours in. Overwatch has gripped me just an intensely as Team Fortress 2 did and may have an even longer shelf life.

I fear for my available free time for future games...

xLao4gf.png

2. The Last Guardian ; What a trial this game has been. I originally bought a PS3 to play this game after it was revealed, only to see it slip into obscurity until its eventual resurfacing in 2015. As much as I was aching to play it, I had my reservations about how it’d eventually end up. Thankfully, it made the transition largely unscathed. Aside from some technical and control issues, this game filled the hole in my heart that its long disappearance left. The puzzles are unique and Ueda’s best story yet makes the journey feel wholesome and rewarding. It's an journey that still crosses my mind and it's something I think everyone should experience.

Bravo Ueda, thank you for this gift.

19OQ5vm.png

3. Thumper ; A visceral rhythm game that had me on the edge of my seat. Dark and brooding, Thumper draws you in close and nearly strangles you to death. There were a few moments where I actually had to pause to take a breather because it was so intense. It teaches you how to play with its own language which you slowly unravel, adding to the alien atomsphere of the game. Also, it can be enjoyed in a multitude of ways. Want to 100% everything? You’re in for a challenge! You can also just play it to completion and the final level will leave you speechless.

One of the best rhythm games I’ve played in years.

p40xZhU.png

4. The Witness ; Incredibly calming and exceedingly clever, The Witness also teaches you through its own language. You spend the game learning what each symbol means until it becomes second nature. In this sense, the game almost feels like you’re taking a class as it teaches, tests and reiterates which sets the foundation for a rewarding gameplay loop. By the time you finish, you feel a genuine sense of fulfilment.

Some of the most fun I’ve had with a puzzle game since Portal.

pPQhiGt.png

5. Oxenfree ; A lovely indie horror point and click with believable characters and a unique dialogue system. Backgrounds are beautiful and the story will keep you engaged and guessing. It’s kind of like if Life is Strange and Kentucky Route Zero had a baby.

A breath of fresh air.

5NdbdQu.png

6. Doom ; A shooter whose old school sensibilities kept me entertained throughout. Combat was elegant and brutal, making each fight a memorable blur of blood and guts. One of the few AAA games I’ve played where exploration actually felt rewarding.

It’s the game equivalent of comfort food.

uLhKigm.png

7. Stardew Valley ; Hug your pet cat/dog, water your crops, pet and feed your farm animals, try to catch your love interest during the day and give them a present, fight slimes while mining for ore, pass out from exhaustion and get pickpocketed by a freak, wake up the next day and repeat it all over again.

Harvest Moon reborn.

NVKKYPK.png

8. Dark Souls 3 ; The finale to the Dark Souls series is a love letter to Souls fans. Callbacks to areas in previous games were a huge nostalgia trip and the new changes are a worthy addition. Combat is fluid and risky like Bloodborne but with the expected RPG depth you’d expect from the Souls series.

This game has fangs and when it grabs you, you don’t want it to let go.

ZapZYRt.png

9. Inside ; Dark and foreboding, Inside is a triumph. Its bleak world and breakneck pacing keep the stakes high. Curiosity drives you closer to the truth but each abhorrent encounter makes you hesitant to push forward. What outcome awaits you is a tortured climax you won’t soon forget...

A masterclass tour de force in oppressive atmosphere.

xTsAipL.png

10. Uncharted 4 ; Beautiful and full of character, Uncharted 4 was a worthy conclusion to the series. I was enjoying myself most when I was just living in its world as opposed to going from fight A to fight B so I was quite fond of the walking sim-esque sections. The epilogue was a superb conclusion and left me smiling for days.

I’m...sad to see everyone go...

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

x. Let it Die ; Punishing F2P game with a great aesthetic and a refreshing online mode that keeps you coming back for more.

x. Virginia ; The better “Twin Peaks” experience this year.

x. Pony Island ; An interesting game that always keeps you guessing. Hell, if my interpretation of the ending is correct, it's a pretty great mindfuck.

x. Owlboy ; This game and its characters just ooze charm. Kind of like Cave Story with Zelda aesthetics.

x. Abzu ; A calm, zen experience in serene seas with some charming underwater life. An emotionally stirring adventure. I was nearly jumping out of my chair in its final moments.

Games that I wish I had played:
Civilization 6
Banner Saga 2
Titanfall 2
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Dishonored 2

My previous Games of the Year posts:

I have two questions before posting my list:

Are the votes of the people who wrote Valhalla's complete name (VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action) counting? I see it posted in the spreadsheet as just VA-11 HALLA.

I understand it's alright if I just write Pokémon Moon instead of Sun/Moon, will all the votes from both versions be counted together? I don't think it's going to end up high up on GAF's final list (surprisingly), but I want to make sure anyway.

I have two questions before posting my list:

Are the votes of the people who wrote Valhalla's complete name (VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action) counting? I see it posted in the spreadsheet as just VA-11 HALLA.

I understand it's alright if I just write Pokémon Moon instead of Sun/Moon, will all the votes from both versions be counted together? I don't think it's going to end up high up on GAF's final list (surprisingly), but I want to make sure anyway.

If you're worried, copy-paste from the spreadsheet.

This was the hardest ranking I can remember doing. The margin between Games #1 and #5, in particular, is razor thin -- they are #1A through #1E in my eyes. I love all five of those games for very different reasons (as they are all very different games), and they are five of the best games I've played in recent years. This was an amazing year for video games.

But...rules are rules and there must be a winner, so here's the list:

Lt3KCKx.png

NAWRpIO.jpg

So...I didn't even think about ranking this game because I consider it to be a 2015 game that I didn't play before last year's voting, but since I played the retail version this year it technically counts. However, something just doesn't feel right about putting it in my 2016 Top 10 at this point. All that being said, because it would have been my #3 game last year had I played it before voting on here, I'm still going to give it an honorable mention this year because it was one of the best games I played in 2016, and I want to give it its due.

As it was releasing episodically over the course of the year, I didn't pay much attention to Life is Strange. It just seemed like it was "another one of those games", and one that was late to the party. "It's another Telltale-like game. It's another game set in the Pacific Northwest. Oh, look, in-game references to video games and other sources of nostalgia. A David Lynch sighting!" It wasn't hard to be dismissive. I loved Telltale's The Walking Dead -- it was my 2012 game of the year. But after playing several games like that since, many of them underwhelming, I was reluctant to give Life is Strange a chance.

However, several months back I decided to pick it up. I started it on a Friday night. I finished it on Sunday afternoon. What happened in the intervening hours was something special. Flawless? Hardly. But it didn't need to be. It was an experience that I will never forget.

I went into work Monday morning, and I had this feeling that was tough to describe. And it didn't really subside until the end of the week. It was a sense of emptiness, of longing, and of regret, all rolled into one. This was my one playthrough, and there's no way that I would ever consider going back and doing it again. The friendship between Max and Chloe, initially introduced as a bit of backstory, was something that became genuine over the course of those five episodes. That town, Arcadia Bay and its residents, those that I had come to know well over the course of just one weekend, I'll never go there and see them again. I left, and it's over. I've never, ever had that sort of reaction after finishing a video game. (Dontnod Entertainment)

Y1yy2YA.png

Virginia is a moving, if at times incomprehensible experience told through non-verbal interaction and tight editing. It smartly cuts out a lot of the filler that most "walking simulators" are riddled with, and this gives it a much more film-like presentation. It resonated enough with me to get me to play through it again, and then a third time, picking up on more and more little details each playthrough. While so much of the events of the game are left up to interpretation, and I'm generally not a fan of when movies or games do this, with Virginia I wanted to dig a little deeper for meaning than I normally would. I eventually came up with my own interpretation of what happens in the story, and while it might not be anything at all like what the developers intended, everything about Virginia felt a lot more complete once I reached my own conclusions about it.

The soundtrack, which finds a happy medium between X-Files and Twin Peaks, is a real standout in 2016. In the absence of spoken dialogue, it's what really carries this game along from start to finish and gives the story its emotional "punch". (Variable State)

oOZMONx.png

I ended up checking this out after hearing the Giant Bomb guys rave about it during their GOTY discussions, and I liked it quite a bit. It's certainly the freshest take on the FPS genre in quite some time. SUPERHOT really works in two ways, with one concept leading into the other. It's both challenging and fun to try and solve each shootout encounter in bullet-time like it's a puzzle, except this puzzle is open-ended and has no correct solution. Then to see it all play out afterwards at normal speed is incredibly rewarding, and each subsequent replay encouraged me to try and be more creative with how I would stage events the next time. SUPERHOT actually lets you experience the thrill of those badass shootout sequences from all other traditional shooters, allowing me to disconnect from reality long enough to forget about how shitty my reflexes actually are. A fun way to spend an afternoon, though I wouldn't have minded if it was a little bit longer. (SUPERHOT Team)

XtBG624.png

9KgxcaB.png

Wow! This was a game that I had zero interest in, as multiplayer shooters just aren't my cup of tea these days. But I decided to pick up Titanfall 2 to see what all the fuss was about with its single-player campaign, the first in the series. And I have to say, the positive response to it was justified: it's a very, very good campaign. Rather than consisting of one level after another full of mindless battlefield scenarios, the "shooter" part of Titanfall has been complemented nicely by very creative level designs and gameplay mechanics in such a way that it feels fresh the whole way through -- you're never quite doing the same things over and over. Between all the action (and, sometimes, during it) there's a lot of traversal and a decent amount of exploration for secrets, both of which blend together platforming and puzzle-solving in ways you would not expect in an FPS "from the folks who made Call of Duty®". And while the story that ties everything together is pretty forgettable and mostly bunk, the regular back-and-forth banter between player-character Cooper and his robot companion BT is entertaining throughout, and helped form a relationship there that I actually cared about.

I can't say enough about how well put-together and well-paced this campaign is. There are a ton of great ideas on display, with each one serving its purpose in creating standout gameplay moments, and then stepping aside before the novelty wears off. And then it's on to the next big idea to carry the load for a bit. They elevate what would otherwise be your traditional, sci-fi/war combat stages and makes each one of them feel noteworthy. Titanfall 2 doesn't come close to overstaying its welcome, and yet once it was over, no singular part of the game felt like it was underutilized. It's not especially long, but it's long enough, and it ends at a point that just feels right. A very pleasant surprise! (Respawn Entertainment)

Y4xYNaR.png

D691HXg.png

If the following reads like I am disappointed with this game, it's only because it could have been much higher on this list. Dishonored 2 is superior to the first game in nearly every respect (I'll get to that in a second). It is a tremendous achievement in level design and world-building, easily the most exemplary game of 2016 in both areas. It has also made significant improvements mechanically, allowing the gameplay to be a constant exercise in experimentation with abilities and powers. In particular, two missions -- "The Clockwork Mansion" and "A Crack in the Slab" -- are showcases for the game's inventive level design and creative gameplay mechanics. There are a handful of other missions that, while not as ambitious as those two, still deserve recognition for how well-designed they are.

What holds Dishonored 2 back for me is that it has a bit of an identity crisis, a disconnect between what the developers want the Dishonored games to be, and what these games actually are. Dishonored 2 is about 90% of the way there to being the modern Thief game that I really want. This is where the game really excels. Stages like Addermire Institute and The Grand Palace wouldn't have felt out of place in Thief or Thief II: The Metal Age, with their intricate designs, multiple paths, shortcuts and hidden pathways. Like Thief, there are multiple side objectives that can be done in each mission. There's loot, some of it very valuable and well-hidden. There's plenty of lore to be found, which provides additional insight on mission specifics as well as the world at large. It can't be said more plainly than this: it's Thief. The exploration in these levels is absolutely worth doing, and the content is absolutely worth seeing. These levels are so well-made, they are just begging to be replayed over and over and over again. "Okay, I've fully explored this map. Now, I'll go do it again to take out the target as quickly and as quietly as possible. And I'll do it again without getting spotted at all. And I'll do it again without killing anyone."

Except Dishonored 2 doesn't let you do any of that. Why? Apparently, because they don't want you to. The lack of a mission select is an absolutely mind-boggling oversight, and it all stems from a stubbornness on the part of Arkane for Dishonored to also be the heir apparent to Deus Ex. And what they've made is not that. Not with a main narrative that feels like it was put completely on the back burner (and it's not like Dishonored 1 had an amazing story -- it was pretty bad -- but that game has infinitely more character and many more narrative hooks). Not with a "chaos system" that still feels half-baked and unnecessary, and something that didn't add anything tangibly beneficial to either Dishonored game. Not when your choices make very little difference in anything that happens. The things that Dishonored 2 does incredibly well are undermined by design decisions that Arkane is seemingly unwilling to part with. These missions and levels are far too good to only be seen once, but they've given me very little motivation for replaying the entire game a second time just to play through them again. Not with no narrative drive. Not when I can't retain all of my upgrades in New Game Fucking PLUS. Not so that there can be less rats running around, and so that NPCs will act nicer when I'm around. (NOTE: I realize that a mission select option is being patched into the game soon, and unsurprisingly it's a less-than-ideal version of one. It's still inexcusable that it was not in there at launch.)

It pains me to rag on a game that does so many things right. It's my ninth-favorite game of 2016 for crying out loud, of course it's a great game! But an amazing stealth game, and possibly the best game of 2016, exists inside Dishonored 2, desperate to be set free from its shackles. (Arkane Studios)

8m7p9sZ.png

ov016X4.png

Inside is technically not the sequel to Limbo, but it does all of the things every successor should strive for: it improves on everything that the previous game did well, and fixes the things that it didn't do so well. As I mention later on with DOOM, there's not much here that isn't well-made and well-implemented. It gets the absolute most out of its 4-5 hour running time, with each successive area being unique in its level and puzzle design, never becoming repetitive. One thing that *is* constant over the entirety of the game, though, is its style. The way that Inside looks and sounds throughout creates an atmosphere unlike anything else I've played in a long while, a mood that conjures up feelings of mystery, wonder and terror all at once.

But it's the tight focus of Inside's game design that makes it stand out the most to me, and makes it out to be more than just "Limbo 2". You can tell that a lot of time and effort went into making sure that every sequence is constructed and polished at a very high level, with any potential filler being left on the cutting-room floor. The puzzles as-a-whole are clever and challenging enough to where you feel really good when you solve one, but they aren't too difficult in that they disrupt the flow of the game. Most impressive is how, despite being a series of mostly standalone puzzles, there are subtle hints towards what's to come later contained within the workings of individual puzzles. From the start, seeds get planted in your brain from scene-to-scene in such a way that, collectively, the puzzles form a natural crescendo that builds and builds up until the game's unforgettable final act. (Playdead)

BL55Oud.png

nDtzs7s.png

I'm a big believer in "more of the same" not necessarily being a bad thing. Especially when we're talking about getting more of something that we don't see a whole lot of, something that fills a particular niche, from people who make them as well as anyone. And Deus Ex: Mankind Divided delivers on that. It's more of the same things that were great about Human Revolution, with improvements all across the board. The gameplay mechanics feel a lot better, particularly when taking the stealthy approach. Sneaking in and out from behind cover and taking down enemies quietly has never felt easier and more fluid. And no crappy boss fights this time -- I completed the game without killing a single soul.

Prague is a phenomenal hub locale, featuring its own artstyle that melds together cyberpunk with Eastern European architecture. Between a carefully crafted and memorable map layout and a strong, distinct sense of place, the setting is tailor made for hours and hours of exploration, where many of the buildings can be entered (and often in more than one way).

There's one major disappointment with Mankind Divided, and it's a surprising one: the main story quest line is not very good. Where Human Revolution really went places and had a definite conclusion, there's very little urgency to Mankind Divided's plot and it ends without much resolution at all. If Human Revolution's story felt "big", this one felt "small", with most characters outside of Jensen feeling underwritten. And then it just kinda ends, Square-Enix clearly planning on having one or more sequels to tell the rest of the story.

Mostly offsetting that letdown, however, were the side missions. They are really great, and they're what I'll remember the most about this game. Missions such as "The Harvester", "Neon Nights" and "Cult of Personality" are some of the best side quests in an RPG in years, each one comprised of strong writing, memorable characters, multiple branching paths and interesting gameplay scenarios. Those missions are what kept Mankind Divided in my Top 10. Well, that and the time when I beat up a bunch of hipster drug addicts for no reason. That was fun. (Eidos Montreal)

SkI9gXP.png

r4oW6AS.png

There's not a ton to say here. Bloodborne was my first "Souls" game, and was my GOTY last year. Since then, I played Dark Souls for the first time, and it was amazing too. (I found Bloodborne to be the markedly better game of the two, though Dark Souls 1 has the superior overworld design)

Anyways, I intentionally didn't play Dark Souls II so that I wouldn't get fatigued, and thankfully that wasn't a problem with Dark Souls III. In many ways, it's a "best of both worlds" package that borrows from and improves on both Dark Souls and Bloodborne, specifically in the quality-of-life department. Boss fights are much improved over Dark Souls 1, and can certainly hang with Bloodborne's. Dark Souls III's biggest shortcoming is a comparatively linear world map with fewer secrets to find. After clearing a major area, I rarely had any reason to ever go back there, which wasn't the case with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. But on the positive side, each new area in Dark Souls III is generally better than the one before, and finishes up with the strongest location in the whole game.

I find these types of games addicting and satisfying in a way that very few games are, and From Software makes them better than anyone else. Dark Souls III is another great one of those, nothing more, nothing less. And that's good enough for me. (From Software)

Last edited:
LINK TO PART ONE

zxZRAgl.png

byN1lFz.png

I feel like I was in the minority in thinking that DOOM looked really promising when it debuted at E3 a few years ago. Still, there was reason to be skeptical about how well the campaign would turn out. My own personal fear was that DOOM would be a multiplayer-focused game with a half-assed campaign that felt tacked-on. I am so, so glad that things played out exactly the opposite of that.

The DOOM campaign is a rare one, in that I can't really point to anything that it didn't do very well. The gameplay is ultra-fast and ultra-violent, finding a perfect balance between being incredibly fun and incredibly intense at the same time. It looks nice and still runs at a silky smooth 60 frames on the PS4. The gunplay/glory kills/chainsaw "choice" approach to combat encounters adds an additional level of strategy to each enemy encounter beyond just entering a room and blowing everything apart (although that is still very much an acceptable approach to take sometimes). And while this adds variety to each individual encounter, the upgrade systems in place for weapons, suits and runes encourages you to be more creative in combat over the course of the game, and that's exactly what I did. The level design is excellent, with missions generally playing out non-linearly with plenty of reasons to explore for secrets. Both the writing and the soundtrack embrace what the Doom series is, and they throw all of their weight into both. This is fucking DOOM, and while it appeared that at some point during development they did not grasp this concept, the final product leaves no doubt.

DOOM meshes old school design ethos that are largely missing from today's FPS games, with a number of smart additions to the combat and platforming mechanics, such that it feels fresh in the modern landscape while still being undeniably a Doom game. I'd have to go back to the original Bioshock, or perhaps even as far back as Half-Life 2, to find a first-person shooter campaign that I enjoyed as much as this one. (id Software)

aBDDN61.png

e1sEO8U.png

I still have to pinch my arm from time to time, reminding myself that The Last Guardian did, in fact, come out and that it is, in fact, the game that it was always purported to be. As recently as two years ago, I strongly believed that the latter -- and likely the former -- would not come to pass, but boy am I glad that this game made it. I liked both of Fumito Ueda's previous games, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, and respected those for being unlike anything else on the market at the time. But for me, both games lacked that "something" that can elevate a flawed experience into something truly great, "I love what this game does, but..." always being the qualifier.

With The Last Guardian, however, everything finally came together in a way that they hadn't before. Yes, like previous Team ICO games it has its flaws. Most notably, I often found myself fighting against some combination of the camera and the control scheme throughout. But The Last Guardian as a complete experience is able to overcome these issues, and that's because it does the very thing Ueda set out to achieve nearly a decade ago, and it pulls it off brilliantly. Nothing that has come out before or since this game's announcement has done a better job of establishing the bond between player and AI companion, and I would argue that nothing is even in the same ballpark as The Last Guardian in that respect. To watch it all unfold was fascinating, from the moment that you meet Trico as the giant dog/bird that wants no part of your company, to the late stages of the game where the two of us were practically BFFs. Between the moment-by-moment observations and interactions with Trico, and the breathtaking set pieces, this was easily the most memorable experience of the year.

But there was one moment in particular that stands out above the others, where this game truly became magical for me. I was stumped on a puzzle that I'd spent the better part of 20 minutes trying to solve, and began to get frustrated. "What the hell am I supposed to do?" And then, a revelation occurred to me once I finally stopped trying to solve it on my own, and took a few seconds to watch Trico's behavior. In nearly every video game with an AI companion, the onus is completely on the player character to find a way to get both characters past an obstacle, and yet there was Trico trying to solve the same puzzle in its own way. I was no longer just commanding Trico to "go here" or "go there" -- for once, *I* didn't know what to do but my partner did! It was actual teamwork that sprung about organically, between a human player and an AI that was able to hold up its end of the bargain.

The Last Guardian is an unforgettable adventure that is beautiful, fascinating and emotional all at once. I smiled a lot, I cried a lot, and once the words "The End" came up on the screen I did a lot of both. It's a game that I don't expect to ever go back to. My one and only playthrough was something special, and it's something that I'll be able to carry with me for the rest of my life. I would have never believed that this game could come out after so long and manage to live up to all of the lofty expectations, but it did. It was absolutely worth the wait. (Sony Japan Studio)

HImmNAp.png

Uo7oyIx.png

I enjoyed the PS3 Uncharted trilogy, but I didn't find any of them to be outstanding in the same way that I did The Last of Us. So when it came to light that Naughty Dog -- and more specifically, Directors Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann -- were helming another Uncharted game, I had mixed emotions about it. I've always liked the characters in the series, all of the big set pieces, and the tremendous visuals. And in that regard, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End doesn't disappoint. It's the best-looking game I've ever played, and from an overall presentation standpoint, it's the most-impressive game I've ever played. The voice acting and performance capture is top-notch, and the writing and storytelling is as good as it's ever been (it's easily my favorite story in an Uncharted game). Most notably, they pull off the introduction of Nate's brother, Sam, and then proceed to do an excellent job establishing him as a major supporting character that stands strong alongside Elena and Sully. As far as Nathan Drake goes, Uncharted 4 is about as good of a conclusion for a video game character as you could ever hope for.

The one big thing that I've never really liked about the series has been the combat. It was easily my least-favorite aspect of the first three games, and something that I essentially "had to put up with" to see everything else. In prior games, I groaned whenever I came across waist-high walls. Not this time. This is what makes Uncharted 4 not just a great Uncharted game, but unquestionably the best Uncharted game, and one of the best games of 2016. Between the addition of the grappling hook and the increased viability of a stealth-based approach, the combat encounters in this game became something that I began actually looking forward to. The grappling hook opens up so many possibilities that weren't there previously. It got me to stop hiding behind cover, and just swing all over the stage until no one was left. There's now a greater sense of fluidity when going from one enemy to the next, bridging together cover fire, stealth takedowns, melee, aerial attacks, and just running around guns blazing. I had so much more fun with the combat in this game that I went back and replayed many of those encounters again, just to see how much of a badass I could be.

Uncharted posits itself as the video game equivalent of a Hollywood blockbuster action film, but for the first time I really felt like an action hero during the entirety of the gameplay, and not just during the highly-directed set pieces. Naughty Dog took the weak link of the Uncharted games, and brought it up to the same high standard as everything else. As a result, Nathan Drake's final hour happens to also be his finest one. (Naughty Dog)

lk6DIux.png

yLAHahC.png

With all due respect to DOOM, this is THE comeback story of 2016, and what a comeback it was! After hitting rock bottom with 2012's Absolution -- a game that Io-Interactive publicly apologized for -- I really didn't think that they had it in them to make another good Hitman game, much less one that could approach the excellence of Blood Money. Turns out I was right: HITMAN is *not* a good Hitman game...it's the best Hitman game.

Traditional Hitmans have always been puzzle games just as much as they are stealth games, and the core gameplay loop is to essentially "rehearse" the assassination Agent 47 has been hired to carry out: study the in's and out's of the level, understand the clockwork patterns of the targets, learn which disguises work where, and continue to repeat and refine until you can pull off the perfect hit. As such, the episodic release model was a direction that always made a ton of sense for this series to go in. HITMAN makes the most of this model, with each episode boasting a new map that's larger and more complex than in any previous entry, with more ways than ever to eliminate the targets. The additional challenges, escalation contracts and elusive targets give you even more reasons to replay each map additional times. Through this model, IO have found a way to maximize the best and most satisfying elements of the classic Hitman games.

I've always enjoyed scripting out a hit in my head and then role-playing as Agent 47: listening in on conversations, gathering intel, and pulling off the perfect hit in one take is what I've always found the most rewarding. Now there's so much more than that, and being able to share those assassination runs has encouraged me to come up with other crazy scenarios beyond just achieving "Silent Assassin" rank. I walked the runway as a male model, and then eliminated both targets in hilarious fashion. I pushed one target off a balcony onto the other. Disguised as a golf instructor, I seduced one target and blew the other one up with an exploding golf ball. I shot down a plane with a cannon. I then threw a cannonball at a guy's face. I pushed one target into a printing press. I had a security guard accidentally electrocute a janitor and take him away in a body bag, so I could retrieve the disguise later. I shot down a giant moose to distract everyone from my real target. I dropped said giant moose on one target's head, and kicked a toilet onto the other's. I infiltrated a rock band as its drummer, played a drum solo, pushed the lead singer off a roof, and got to the other side of the roof in time to see the other target blow himself up from a trap I set up earlier. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

This is easily the game I've spent the most hours playing over the past year. Welcome back, 47. Oh, how we've missed you. (Io-Interactive)

u9b0H4w.png

gOayY6L.png

The first time I had heard of The Witness was when Jonathan Blow showed it off at Sony's PS4 reveal conference, and immediately it became one of my most-anticipated games. And why wouldn't it? Myst was one of the defining games of my childhood, a game that left me in awe of its gorgeous, surrealistic world and also left me just as equally confounded by its puzzles. Having not played a game of that sort in quite some time, I was very excited for this one, a passion project from the designer of Braid. But while the final product does call back to Myst at a high-level -- it's a first-person game set on a mysterious island filled with puzzles -- The Witness is something much different altogether, and also much better. When a game is in development for roughly seven years and releases without compromise, this is what you get.

It is a masterpiece of game design, a game that very meticulously teaches the player about the rules of the island and its puzzles, while respecting the player in the same way that a great teacher respects its students, inspiring them to want to learn and be better. The Witness teaches the basic fundamentals in a natural way without beating you over the head, and then it's all on you to go do something with it -- your progress is only gated by your own knowledge of the island's rules, and how you progress through the game is entirely up to whichever way you wish to tackle it. And your reward for making progress is not something like gaining experience points, but by feeling a genuine sense of accomplishment in learning something new, and that this new knowledge is now a valuable asset that can be applied somewhere else on the island. This happens all the time in The Witness. "I just learned something new, and it was awesome."

But The Witness isn't 2016's best game simply because it's a great collection of puzzles -- it's also because of the place they are contained within. Rarely has any video game environment felt so perfectly in sync with its gameplay, where both the world design and the game design rely implicitly on the other, a symbiosis that forms the backbone of the entire experience. Every single thing that exists on the island is there for a reason, and each serves to reveal something more about the world. And yeah, then there's the "HOLY SHIT" moment of the year, which forces you to view everything in an entirely new light. Wherever you are standing on the island, chances are high that you'll discover something new and meaningful. That the very last thing I did in the game ended with a (WARNING: END GAME SPOILERS) once-in-a-lifetime stroke of luck that is probably the single-most rewarding moment I've ever experienced in a video game was just icing on the cake. It's the best puzzle game I've ever played, and among the smartest-designed games I've played in my life.

This was the first new game that I played in 2016 and, almost a year later, it's still the best. (Thekla, Inc.)

For the parser:

1. The Witness ; One of the smartest, most cleverly-designed games I've ever played.
2. Hitman ; A triumphant return to form for Agent 47.
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Finally brings the combat up to the same high level as everything else, making this easily the best Uncharted yet.
4. The Last Guardian ; Establishes a bond between player character and AI better than any game prior. Well worth the wait.
5. Doom ; Fast. Exhilarating. Brutal. FUN. It's classic FPS gameplay made fresh in a modern context.
6. Dark Souls III ; Another great Souls game, that's more "best of both worlds" than "too much, too soon."
7. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; More of what made Human Revolution great, with a disappointing main narrative largely salvaged by strong side missions.
8. Inside ; A much better, more focused follow-up to Limbo.
9. Dishonored 2 ; Excellence in level design and world building. Lack of a mission select is an unbelievable oversight.
10. Titanfall 2 ; Its fast-paced campaign finds creative ways to turn well-worn material into something that's anything but run-of-the-mill.
x. Life is Strange ; A special game, in which a town and its residents really connected with me in an unexpected way (played the PS4 retail version in 2016).
x. Superhot ; It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!
x. Virginia ; It took me on a mystifying but ultimately intoxicating ride that I did not want to get off of.

Past ballots:

Last edited:

Disgraced

1. VA-11 HALL-A ; I would call it "a thoroughly entertaining, relaxing, and accessible game with something to say." That's all it needs to be and all that needs to be said.
2. Doom ; Unquestionably the best of the bigs this year. The campaign is the work of wizardry in all schools.
3. Anatomy ; I discovered this and the rest of Kitty Horrowshow's wicked work after let's players covered it for Halloween. It says a whole lot with less than almost everyone else.
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Indeed, it could be standalone and be worth more than many if not most of its comtemporaries.

defusal

1. The Witness ; An masterpiece on all counts that left me still thinking about it even when far away from it. Still cant beat that challenge though.
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; An amazing conclusion to an outstanding series.
3. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; Some smart QoL improvements and the enjoyable world of Alola made probably my favourite entry since Gold/Silver .
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered ; A high quality remaster of one of my favourite multiplayer shooters ever. I can only hope that MW2 will be next.
5. Titanfall 2 ; A thoroughly enjoyable multiplayer shooter with incredible movement systems bolstered by a solid and inventive campaign.
6. Ratchet & Clank ; A beautiful looking and simply just incredibly enjoyable game.
7. Overwatch ; A incredible fun at all times FPS that I loved playing with friends.
8. Watch_Dogs 2 ; A near AC2 jump from the original with the same incredibly addicting hacking multiplayer.
9. Battlefield 1 ; A great looking and fun entry in the series. My favourite since BC2.
10. Hitman ; A game I wish I had more time to play but what I did I greatly enjoyed.

Honorable Mentions

x. Forza Horizon 3 ; Beautiful to look at and enjoyable My favourite Forza game.
x. Super Mario Run ; Probably one of my favourite mobile games ever.
x. Inside ; Incredibly made with a attention to detail in every aspect.
x. Dragon Quest Builders ; A more structured game than Minecraft with amazing music.
x. No Man's Sky ; While it has a lot of problems the sense of scale and discovery was incredible.

Xilium

44ai37jhjffjv44zg.jpg

1. Final Fantasy XV ; A flawed gem. There's no denying that this game has issues but I thoroughly enjoyed the game in spite of those issues. I really liked the main characters and the bro trip feel of the game but I do wish the characters were fleshed out more (more scenes like the one with Prompto on the roof would have been nice). I also really liked the story...but the story telling left much to be desired. The open-world was a concern for me going into the game and the game doesn't make very good use of that game design but the fact that you have a vehicle and fast travel from the beginning, the relatively barren world was mostly a non-issue for me. The combat is fantastic, the camera not so much. Despite all these caveats, I've sunk 120 hours into this game and have greatly enjoyed the vast majority of it.

08k1eb5w75k3g5azg.jpg

2. Tyranny ; So generally speaking, I'm just not a fan of the old-school style CRPGs. I really like Obsidian but their last foray into this genre, Pillars of Eternity, really just didn't do it for me. Tyranny on the other hand, did. I felt the classes in this game were better realized (or at least, played a lot better) than those in PoE. The characters (excluding Kills-in-Shadow) are also vastly more interesting to be than those in PoE but the setting was the biggest draw to me. I really liked the idea of playing on the side of the villains but more importantly, I liked playing the role of a neutral judge as the grey morality path is always my preferred way to play games. From a gameplay mechanics pov, the game has enough modern sensibilities for me to enjoy playing it.

l75w9kay0r7qj7izg.jpg

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine ; Only reason this isn't higher is that I would feel bad giving GOTY to an expansion. That said, Witcher 3 continues to deliver on amazing content and has absolutely earned it's place in my top 5 GOAT games.

cw6zt4yimoh896yzg.jpg

4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; A good game with pretty great level design. Mostly, not too different from the previous game from a gameplay perspective. Some of the new augments are neat but nothing really game-changing. The story wasn't as interesting to me as the previous game though.

z3mv33ea72aoeb2zg.jpg

5. World of Final Fantasy ; I'm not gonna lie, this game is mostly on here due to nostalgia. That said, for me at least, it was a better Pokemon game than Pokemon itself. I sunk far more hours into this game than I would have thought though the game did solidify that I'm over random battles. Also the lack of Coeurls is a grave injustice.

1vd04n8a4pv4g7bzg.jpg

6. Civilization VI ; I really liked Civ V and this game is mostly just more of the same. Apparently, that's not very compelling to me. It's still a great game but pretty disappointing as well.

zzz8ox2e1xpj8jhzg.jpg

7. Street Fighter V ; This game is on here less from my own experience playing it and more from it being my most watched game on Twitch. Street Fighter remains by far and away the most entertaining fighting game to watch and despite the game's other shortcomings, the core fighting mechanics are still better than any other fighting game on the market imo.

6jx24l0oclr4jl5zg.jpg

8. XCOM 2 – See Civ VI.

54nveykr68ulmu4zg.jpg

9. Hex: Shards of Fate ; I really want to put this game much higher up on my list as I think it is the best playing digital card game out right now. It's basically Magic the Gathering but without the limitations of being a physical card game. So the game introduces various forms of RNG-based mechanics and permanent stat changes along with RPG-like mechanics with race/class choices and the ability to mod/empower cards though equipment to really allow players to create a deck that caters to their specific play styles. The game also has a pretty good single-player campaign and a sizable card list. Unfortunately, the game being free-2-play ends up being a pretty huge negative for me. The game is VERY grindy. Booster packs can only be purchased with real money. People that buy them can of course sell them on the auction house but they are stupidly expensive and require you to constantly replay their PvE area to make gold (slow) or grind the campaign (slower). PvP would be the best way to get boosters/make gold but it requires a real-money buy-in and like any digital card game, the meta ruins competitive play imo.

Sort of an aside, but I desperately wish we could just get a single-player heavy digital CCG/TCG in the style of the old Pokemon TCG games on Gameboy. If Hex would have been that, it would have easily made my top 3, if not number 1.

v488wwwblt3k3xmzg.jpg

10. Grim Dawn ; Basically Diablo 3 with a much greater emphasis on leveling and character versatility. It doesn't come off as a game that starts after you get to endgame and start getting legendaries like D3 does. Otherwise, it's pretty much what you would expect out of a loot-based action-rpg. I will say, after playing D3, I do wish this game had better controller support. The game was clearly not made with controller support in mind but I really can't play these games without a controller anymore.

Didn't Make The List 2016:
x. Fire Emblem Fates – I think I'm just over this series.
x. Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness – Not bad but not particularly good either.
x. Pokemon Sun/Moon - I tried to get back into the series with this game but I'm just not feeling it.
x. Watch_Dogs 2 ; Everything I wanted the first game to be. Not good enough to make my list, as it's just not one of my favorite genres of games, but still a fantastic game.

R aka Bon

1. Overwatch ; Overwatch is an incredibly fun shooter. While a ton of shooters on the market feel fun and engaging, Overwatch takes it one step further. By having all these different Heroes, with each of their unique personalities and abilities, it becomes a very dynamic game that's always evolving. Blizzard is also doing an excellent job in engaging the community, as well as releasing content updates that shake up the "Meta" to expand upon the universe even more. Of course all of this wouldn't have mattered if the gameplay itself didn't excel. Which it fortunately does, with tight and responsive controls and very well made audio cues that makes it even more immersive.
2. Titanfall 2 ; Titanfall 2 has one of the best shooter campaign i have ever played. The gameplay feels just right, with it's shooting and traversal mechanics it truly brings something special to the table. Titanfall 2's campaign has the very best variation and pacing between its different levels. The game not only feels like you are flying, but it also slows down in the right moments, to make you appreciate the gorgeous environments Respawn has build for this game. I was also very fond of the "platforming esque" levels that again just added to the variety, and let's not talk about that Gauntlet... It also had a very easy and cohesive story, although this wasn't it's strongest point, it still made you care about the bond between the Pilot and it's Titan. The MP was satisfying as well, although it was the Campaign that left me the most impressed.
3. Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition ; Ori is a very enjoyable game, due to it's eye pleasing artstyle, that's very colorful and impressive as well as ori's animations that makes everything just flow so nice and smooth. The platforming and the enemies are also very well made, where you always encounter new types of enemies that challenges you in different ways. The game also progresses with it's gameplay, where you learn different tactics in overcoming new obstacles.

Great post and writeups.

I'm finishing up my post right now and it's extremely similar to yours, especially the top 5 which is just in a slightly different order. And yea, getting them down to an order for the purposes of the thread was really tough. I ended up just doing an assessment of the games and the state they came out in (how polished etc) to be able to rank them because I know a week from when I post the list, I'll have settled on a different game as my "GOTY."

newjeruse

1. The Last Guardian ; I honestly had no expectations for this game a month before release. Admittedly, my hopes were raised when I heard initial impressions, but I was still dubious. Upon completion, TLG lodged itself into my consciousness in a way a game hasn't been able to do since MGS1. I didn't stop thinking about this game for three days straight. Trico's behavior never stopped surprising and impressing me. As a cat owner, I genuinely giggled when I saw that some of his natural motions are 1:1 with my cats. And while the controls frustrated at times, I didn't think about those difficulties for a second as soon as I finished the game. A complete masterpiece and a beautiful capstone for Ueda's Playstation Trilogy.

2. Ratchet & Clank ; A return to form for one of my favorite Playstation franchises. While this remake didn't have some of the depth as my favorite R&C (ACiT), it still brought me back to my college days when I plowed through these games every year.

3. MLB The Show 16 ; This is my podcast game, so it's annually the game I sink the most hours into. Frankly, next year's version looks like the biggest jump so far on the PS4, but this version perfectly lived up to my expectations for the series.

4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Though I would have preferred if this game was 3-4 hours shorter, UC4 was a great way to end Nate's story. I loved the ending and the playable flashbacks. But yeah... uncle on the climbing sections.

5. Inside ; I love the aesthetic, tone, and art direction. The "twist" was also fantastic. Everything in this game felt hand-crafted and unique. I enjoyed it much more than Limbo, fwiw.

6. The Witness ; I'm not even going to pretend like I was smart enough to finish this game. I probably got half way through before I threw in the towel. That said, the game design is utterly brilliant. I have an endless appreciation for the way the puzzles were weaved into the environment.

robotrock

Banned
1. Thumper
2. The Last Guardian
3. Overwatch
4. DOOM
5. The Witness
6. Titanfall 2
7. Forza Horizon 3
8. Ratchet and Clank
9. Final Fantasy XV
10. Hitman

Honorable Mentions
x. Oxenfree ; I found learning about the history of the island to be incredibly interesting, and it made the game super engaging. Once it got going, I couldn't put it down. Also, the secret online feature in this broke my brain.
x. Rez Infinite ; If the majority of this game didn't come out in 2001, it would absolutely be my game of the year this year. I loved Rez then, I love Rez now.

phant0m

1. DOOM ; Soundtrack and a shotgun pump that will send shivers down your spine.
2. Forza Horizon 3 ; Sequel to the previous best car game of all time. Basically, Top Gear The GameTM.
3. Titanfall 2 ; Everything Call of Duty used to be: fantastic campaign and tight, rewarding multiplayer.
4. Hitman ; Ridiculous amount of things to do. Loved the format.
5. The Division ; Incredible world design with great mechanics. Too bad about DZ, but at least they tried doing something new.
6. World of Final Fantasy ; The best Final Fantasy game since X (not including XIV: ARR).
7. Gears of War 4 ; Looked great, played great, fine (but predictable) story. Playing co-op really brought me back to what made last-gen so great.
8. Overwatch ; Probably the only game on this list people will still be playing in 2 years.
9. Mafia III ; Amazing soundtrack, story, and mechanics. Shame it was so repetitive, but at least the core loop was fun.
10. Uncharted 4 ; Best looking game on any console, ever. Nate Drake doin' his thing.

Honorable Mentions
x. Final Fantasy XV ; 80% of an amazing game, but one of the core mechanics (the car) is horrible.
x. SUPERHOT ; The most innovative shooter I've played in years (And really, really want it to come to PS VR).
x. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; A really great game that just didn't make the cut. 2017 was really fucking good.
x. Overcooked ; Best couch co-op game in years.

1. The Witness ; Most fun I've had with a game in a long time. Even when the puzzles felt tough, they still felt fair.
2. Dishonored 2 ; Everything I loved about the first one, but better. Amazing level design!
3. Firewatch ; Some of the best writing and dialogue I've ever seen in a game.
4. Dark Souls III ; Exploration is one of my favorite things to do in games, and I had a blast exploring in DS3.
5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; More excellent exploration in an utterly gorgeous setting.
6. Final Fantasy XV ; More exploration! Probably the best game for exploring in on my list (and with well-placed loot, too!), but story confusion and some combat frustrations prevent it from placing higher.
7. No Man's Sky ; Yep, exploration. While many places look very samey, it makes the more unique planets all the more enjoyable. Overall, the gameplay turned out how I was expecting, so I was delighted to sink many, many hours into this game.
8. Orwell ; Big Brother thought-police simulator 2016. Interesting story and interface.
9. Starbound ; Another game with oodles of exploration. However, the planets manage to feel even more repetitive than those in NMS. On the plus side, it does have a staggering amount of loot to find and make. Lack of controller support drops this pretty low on my list.
10. The Tomorrow Children ; My go-to "podcast game". I've been having a lot of fun trying to cooperate with strangers than I can't talk to and rarely can see.

Honorable Mentions
x. Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered ; Word puzzle games (along with exploratory games) are exactly my jam. Had a lot of fun playing this by myself and also "playing" by shouting out possible words while my boyfriend played.
x. Dragon Quest Builders ; Cute game with some decent exploration. Most fun I had, though, was trying to figure out and discover new room types. I really did not enjoy the boss fights at the end of the chapters. I think those caused me to lose a lot of love for the game.

1. Overwatch ; Easily GOTY for me. Over 300 hours of game play already and no sign of finishing. So polished, great updates and the lore is just great.
2. Uncharted 4 ; A great conclusion to a fantastic series.
3. Firewatch ; Beautiful art, voice acting and storytelling. What a great surprise package.
4. Hitman ; Another step up from Absolution. Great level designs and plenty of ways to complete each mission.
5. DOOM ; Biggest surprise of the year for me. It's actually a great game. Who would have thought?
6. INSIDE ; Another game with fantastic art and story. It's really short but really good.
7. No Man's Sky ; Beautiful, relaxing and just fun.
8. The Witness ; My head hurts but boy is it a fun game and very rewarding.
9. Superhot ; Neat idea.
10. Batman Telltale Series ; More of a Bruce Wayne game but Telltale keep making games that I love.

WlNDmkk.jpg

1. Overwatch ; Honestly what can I say about this game? After TF2 got... the way it is however many years ago I was pretty resigned to the idea that I'd never have that kind of fun again in an online shooter, to the point where I think I forgot what it even felt like, then Overwatch kicked down the door and threw that feeling back in my face ten fold. People say kick around the term "instant classic" for a lot of games that are ultimately no more remembered than anything else, but this is a game I'm confident we'll be talking about for years to come.

fjNQ56u.jpg

2. VA-11 HALL-A ; I would have never guessed this game was going to be on my GOTY list when my friend gifted it to me when it came out, I was interested in it as a novelty with cute characters like most people would looking at it's "Waifu Bartending" site, but what I ended up getting is probably one of the best narrative experiences a game has offered in recent memory. The game takes place almost entirely behind a bar while you control the Jill, the cynical bartender who has to deal with the regular customers coming in off the streets of the dystopian cyberpunk Glitch City; you make their drinks and listen to what they have to say everyday and that's all there is to it. To me the game is a master work of world building, you pretty much never see anything of the outside world but are painted a picture clear as day through your conversations with your customers and reading forum posts on your tablet between shifts. There's a lot of social commentary but it never comes off as preachy or being too on the nose, it manages to slide in memes and internet humor without it feeling forced or cringy (didn't even think that was possible), and it's probably got the most realistic depiction of depression I've seen in a game. It's probably a top ten of all time game for me. Time to mix drinks and save lives

fdfsBtV.jpg

3. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator ; Sign came out and pretty much (re)set the standard for fighting games in my opinion, sat down all these kids who forgot who the boss was and told them what anime do. Revelator is just that again. I'll put it on as many goty lists as there are years they release revisions.

tReIH0m.jpg

4. Gravity Rush Remastered ; I was excited that there was finally going to be a chance for Gravity Rush to reach a larger audience but also worried because it is a handheld game getting ported up to a console and that transition isn't always kind, but that worry was definitely blown away once I played it. It managed to be even more enjoyable than the first time I played it and it's probably my favorite open world action super hero'em up (???). I imagine the sequel will only be better.

BtGzbRW.jpg

5. Street Fighter V ; Yea it doesn't have arcade mode but I play fighting games to fight people not horrible AI that might as well be a training dummy, so I don't give a shit. This game did away with cumbersome mechanics like focus attacks and an over reliance on one frame links to deliver a much cleaner and more fun street fighter experience than the one we've been used to the last eight years. Plus they managed to take characters like Sim and Vega and make them interesting and fun to play as (again?). I don't think it's a perfect game by any stretch but I'm very much looking forward to what it's future will bring.

xuSw039.jpg

6. MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code ; The best fighting game you've probably heard about (as the butt of a joke) but never played (because you ain't about to click that dodgy ass download link) miraculously got an official English release this year and it's just as poverty as ever. Seriously though this is an amazing fighting game and if you're a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to play it, it's crazy fun and the moon system is one of the most genius ways of adding variety to a game since it basically makes three versions of every character.

CBm4qqj.jpg

7. Battlefield 1 ; You know what Battlefield is, everyone knows what Battlefield is, that's what this is. Some people don't like what that is, I love what that is. It's all the crazy chaotic action the series is known for but the weapons are all shit, everyone is dressed like an asshole, you can't see because there's mustard gas everywhere, and it's awesome even if there should be an additional 40 quotation marks around "historical accuracy."

wbkmcW3.jpg

8. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero ; A soft reboot of a series that isn't anywhere near as known as it should be considering how many years it's been around and how well received it is. This time around Wayforward got the big money to make the game look the way I imagine they've always wanted it to with a beautiful hand-drawn cartoon style instead of the old sprites. They also departed from the metroidvania-ish style in favor of fixed levels and a hub world to choose from, a lot of people were put off by the change but in my opinion it offered a much tighter design and level variety in return, plus every game is a metroidvania now and I'm kinda tired of them.

RwRuAab.jpg

9. Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight ; After kinda trashing sprites and metroidvanias, we have a metroidvania with sprites. As I said I'm tired of this genre but this game really stood out to me, it's not a big game by any means but it does exactly as much as it needs to. Tight combat, good level design, a great art style, and it's cheap as hell.

NFCXq3o.jpg

10. The Idolmaster Platinum Stars ; Idolm@ster is the light that chases away the darkness of my sins. I'm glad to be able to use my favorite idol team again, Chipotle, Mike, and that handsome young man. I'd probably put it higher on the list but I haven't actually played it as much as I'd like so I feel like it'd be dishonest to put it higher than games I've played a lot more of. (pic is not only the wrong game, but also the wrong series)

Honorable mentions:
x. The Last Guardian ; I've been waiting for this game for a good portion of my life, SotC is one of my favorite games of all time, and indeed I liked the game a lot. Unfortunately there was a lot of frustration that's leaving it off my list, along with the fact that I don't think it lives up to the greatness of SotC. Any other year it'd probably be on there.
x. Battlerite ; Unfortunately it's in early access and not eligable, but it'll probably make it to the list proper when it comes out. It's a moba without all the boring parts
x. Fire Emblem Fates ; I spent more time trying to get Gamestop to send me the damn CE than I did playing it. Not cause it was bad, my spirit was just crushed by the trouble it caused me. It hurts me to not include it because I love Awakening and this one seems great, but I really haven't played enough to put it on there.

Also wanted to give a shoutout to Rainbow Six Siege, I hated the beta when I played it and wrote off the game until the free weekend in October and I've been hooked on it since. The amount of time I've put in is truly upsetting.

1. The House In Fata Morgana ; This game might have become my favorite story of all time. I've never seen a cast so thoroughly developed in any other game, nor have I seen any other game succeed so greatly with subject matters as heavy as Fata Morgana. Add to that the best soundtrack I've ever heard in any medium and a revolutionary art style, and you have my GOTY 2016.

2. Umineko When They Cry (Question Arc) ; Umineko is a stellar story. Its official release more than deserves a callout. The characters, the layers to the mystery, the atmosphere, THE MUSIC! Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better VN and it could've been GOTY any other year (i.e. had it not been for Fata Morgana).

3. Higurashi When They Cry - Ch.3 Tatarigoroshi ; Higurashi's third chapter definitely lived up to the first two arcs. Its surprisingly realistic themes, coupled with some really wild stuff towards the end of the arc really intrigued me for what might be to come. I can't wait to see where the story goes after the fourth chapter.

4. Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition- ; I was looking forward to Root Double thanks to its director, Takumi Nakazawa, directing some of my favorite VNs (Ever17 and Remember11). It was a really fun romp overall, with the sci-fi and suspense I was expecting. It posed some ethical dilemmas that were really intriguing to think about, although I think that the art style was a bit generic. There OST was good, but pretty limited. I wish Takeshi Abo had worked on its soundtrack too. In the end, it is an interesting and engaging journey.

5. Downwell ; Downwell came as bit of a surprise. I wasn't expecting to find a game with such a tight design. It's difficult to let the Vita go once you get in the zone and start racking up 20-30 combos every run. It's immensely satisfying.

BeeDog

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The journey might be unevenly paced, and the lack of action now that they've nailed the gameplay stings, but I can't use those points to take away from the fact that this is still a master-level game from Naughty Dog.

2. Dishonored 2 ; I missed out on the first game and jumped straight into this one. Boy, was I surprised at the creativity, the top-tier level design and the excellent freeform gameplay.

3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Yes, the ending is quite a letdown and the self-contained "filler" story is not as impactful as the previous game's overarching plotline, but the excellent gameplay, amazing intertwining level design and perfect aesthetics convinced me once again.

4. Dark Souls III ; The Soulsborne gameplay loop is starting to wear a bit thin, but it didn't really stop this game from being another excellent entry in the series. Despite being a fair bit shorter than the other parts, it's consistent throughout.

5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; The amount of content and love CD Projekt managed to inject into this cheap expansion is praiseworthy. It's certainly not as good as the first DLC, but you quickly realize you can't get enough of the amazing writing and the truly fleshed-out characters.

6. The Witness ; The very definition of perfect, genius-level gameplay design and art direction. The best puzzle game I've played in my life.

7. Rise of The Tomb Raider ; Lara's characterization is still as damp as hell, but the core gameplay loop sets its hooks in you, and you just have to find another treasure.

8. Inside ; I'm usually not too big on artsy indie games, but this one's just stupendous in every way possible. The aesthetics are pitch-perfect.

9. The Last Guardian ; I didn't think I'd live to see the day. Despite finicky controls, technical issues and an utterly terrible camera, the boy's journey with the fantastically realized Trico captivated me.

10. Final Fantasy XV ; Stupid and repetitive side-quests, an ineptly told shit story, a questionable car-focused open world. Despite these glaring issues, there's a lot of charm oozing out of this game, and you just have to play a bit more.

Honorable mentions:

x. Ratchet & Clank ; One of the better R&C campaigns, with amazing graphics and inventive gameplay. Too bad the movie tie-in, with terrible humor to boot, drags it down a little bit.

x. DOOM ; Utterly excellent single-player campaign paired together with the most tepid multi-player gameplay this generation. And too bad the weapon sound effects are unforgivably bad.

x. Hitman ; Didn't play enough to rank this closer to the toop, but it's HITMAN, and a damn well realized one at that.

x. Battlefield 1 ; Terrible campaign, but you certainly can't fault the multi-player too much if you're a casual BF player like me.

Ratrat

1. The Last Guardian ; I don't think any game has come close to this in terms of creating a character that feels real. And this is a monstrous rat/cat/bird hybrid no less. And so I pretty much fell in love with the game in the first 5 minutes, and with the exception of a few frustrating moments, it was an overall unforgettable experience. I can't wait to hear about Gendesigns next project.

2. Dark Souls 3 ; Not as good as Dark Souls 2.

3. Uncharted 4 ; In spite of little replay value, I really loved my time with it. The first half especially.

4. The Witness; Haven't finished it yet, but its certainly interesting. Its made me feel like a genius and than a moron the next moment.

Forkball

1. Pokemon Sun and Moon ; Here's a title that embraces unpredictability while also keeping true to its roots and highlighting everything we love about Pokemon. The game challenges us in unique ways and uplifts series-long conventions, but still sets us off on a wonderful adventure to explore the tropical world of Alola (it means hello AND goodbye!). I always wonder if I will ever get tired of this series, and it turns out... NOPE.
2. Overwatch ; FPS is one of the most lucrative genres, yet standing out in the space is a tremendous talent. Those nerds that makes about elf cards over at Blizzard completely embarrassed everyone by releasing one of the most exciting FPS games ever. Not only is the core gameplay incredible, but Blizzard has been pushing out wonderful content since launch and isn't stopping anytime soon.
3. Hitman ; For all the moaning people have about early access games and episodic content, here is a game that completely nailed it. The mechanics are easy enough to grasp, yet the levels are so rich with intricacy that you can truly stretch your mind to make the most elaborate assassinations and mishaps possible. It's a game that knows its a video game and lets the player take advantage of this in exciting ways.
4. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; This is without a doubt the greatest piece of DLC I have ever played. It should honestly be higher, but I wanna give other games a chance since TWIII was my GotY in 2015. For $20 you have more worthwhile content than many games and it is a brilliant send off to Geralt and company. This is a game where I was completely satisfied and yet legitimately sad it ended.
5. Abzu ; Walking simulators are a thing of the past. It's all about swimming simulators now. Yes, it's one of those games, but the art style, fluid movement, incredible soundtrack, and creativity make it an experience worth having.
6. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright ; They took Fire Emblem Awakening and added MORE! More units! More maps! More enemies! More! Though Birthright is often looked down upon as the weaker of the Fates series, I felt like this game gave me exactly what I wanted as a fan of Awakening.
7. Dark Souls III ; Dark Souls III is the third Dark Souls game. Have you played one of those? This is the third one. It seems more like a greatest hits, taking pieces from all the other games to make it the ultimate Souls experience, but this is a good thing. I have many fond hours creeping through strange locals, fighting off invaders, and trying to figure out why people don't just get on a boat and get the hell outta here.
8. Pokken Tournament ; I never thought I wanted to see Pikachu punch Garchomp in the face, but I do. The whole premise is such a bizarre idea, but the developers play the concept straight and deliver a thrilling fighting game that feels new yet familiar to fighting game fans.
9. Pokemon Go ; Another damn Pokemon game! This is a title where the experience transcends gameplay. I mean people are selling Pikachu milkshakes in the restaurants because of this. But I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun throwing balls at a Bulbasaur that was sitting on the sidewalk. Just one step closer to living in a real Pokemon World. IT WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY.
10. Reigns ; Like Crusader Kings II, it wonderfully captures the challenge and unpredictability of being a king. It's not always peachy at the top. Whether it's raining for a half century or getting killed by a skeleton after two years, each new member of my dynasty made me want to push the title to its limits and see the spectacular ways I could succeed or fail.

1. The House in Fata Morgana ; The very last game I played in 2016. I did not expect it to be as good as it was. It had the best story and music in a game I played last year.
2. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Big fan of the Witcher games this was great send off. A very long meaty dlc with a good story and satisfying ending.
3. Doom ; had a blast with the single player never touched the multiplayer.
4. Forza horizon 3 ; First racing game to get me interested in the racing genre since PGR.
5. Xanadu Next ; good old school action action rpg good story and fun gameplay
6. The Banner Saga 2 ; Not as good as BS1 but still had fun. Still not a fan of the combat.
7. Hitman ; the first hitman game I actually liked. A very funny game.
8. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; did not like how some of the characters personality changed. Still enjoyed the wacky story
9. Dark souls III ; its more dark souls but I liked it more than DS 2's boss rush.
10. XCOM 2 ; – I enjoyed it but did not like the being rushed in every mission and not being able to take my time.

JDHarbs

5zlBP4p.gif

1. DOOM ; This game will take you on a ride that will unlock something in you that you never knew existed. Just let it happen.

2. INSIDE ; It solidified Playdead as the kings of minimalist game design. Now please explain the ending to me.

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; It took them four tries to get me to like an Uncharted game. Props are due.

4. Overwatch ; I will never like the unbalanced nature of class-based shooters. This one is okay though.

5. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; It's a better version of the last game. I just wish the storytelling was too.

6. MLB The Show 16 ; It's still the best sports sim on the market. Something has to top it eventually, right?

7. Hitman ; My first Hitman game. Episodic content suits it so well, I think it will be hard to dive into the rest.

8. Ratchet & Clank ; My first R&C game. It's solid, comfy, and really needs to work on it's comedic timing.

9. SUPERHOT ; I've been following this game since the original prototype. The idea alone deserves praise.

10. Battlefield 1 ; Well, I played the beta. It's Battlefield. That's about it, but I admire the choice of setting.

Honorable Mentions (stuff I didn't play but wanna support)

x. Titanfall 2 ; I feel so bad, I just want to give it a hug. No game with it's reception deserves to fail like that.

x. The Last Guardian ; I've been anticipating this game since it's announcement. I just wish I had the money.

Top Bottom