• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #203 - "Unlucky"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Theme - "Unlucky"

Dat Friday the 13th due date!

Word Limit: 2017

Submission Deadline: Friday 13th January by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Monday 16th January at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Charismatic villain

Some of my very favorite characters in fiction have been the sort that you can’t help but like. If only they’d, you know, stop being so villainous. Examples might include Loki from the Marvel movies, Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds, Ozymandius from Watchmen, etc. See if you can come up with your own charming snake.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Nezumi

For me Friday the 13th is actually a happy day since me and my husband became an item on that day. We celebrate it every time even if the month isn't the right one which this time around it actually is :)

I like the secondary, though I'm not sure if I can pull it off. Villains in general aren't really my forte. And while I agree with your first to examples, I absolutely loathed Ozymandias.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Where do we submit our entries? Put them in our posts?

Sorta, typically we link them to another website like google docs or dropbox but you are also welcome to paste the story in your post. Here's the previous thread if you want some examples of how our normal ebb and flow is.

For me Friday the 13th is actually a happy day since me and my husband became an item on that day. We celebrate it every time even if the month isn't the right one which this time around it actually is :)

That's so cute I want to give you the win ahead of time.

Mike M

Nick N

My birthday is 01/13, and my tenth wedding anniversary this year is 10/13, both Fridays : )

I like the secondary, though I'm not sure if I can pull it off. Villains in general aren't really my forte. And while I agree with your first to examples, I absolutely loathed Ozymandias.

The single greatest thing I regret in ever having read anything ever is that when I was a teenager, I got bored reading Watchmen and skipped ahead to the climax and spoiled the shit out of myself D :

That's so cute I want to give you the win ahead of time.

GIVE ME MY BIRTHDAY WIN!

Carlisle

Congrats Mike!

My New Year's resolution to participate in EVERY SINGLE CWC in 2017 means I'm in. Even if all I can get out is a haiku, I'm in.

FlowersisBritish

Congrats Mike!

My New Year's resolution to participate in EVERY SINGLE CWC in 2017 means I'm in. Even if all I can get out is a haiku, I'm in.

*High five* I think I participated in every challenge last year and it's a great New Years Resolution to do. Best of luck!

Nezumi

Congrats Mike!

That has been one of my New Year's resolutions for the last two years as well... I also failed the last two years :(

But not this year!

mu cephei

Congratulations Mike M.

Villains :3

Also this reminds me I really must read Watchmen, it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now.

Nezumi

Isn't that nice...

...you have an idea, you sit down and start outlining enthusiastically, have some more ideas while you're at it, and finally after an hour or so you lean back and look upon your work with great satisfaction...

... and then you remember the word limit and want to start crying, just a little bit.

MilkBeard

I had a couple of ideas kicking around for this challenge, but not much motivation to write. Last night, however, a clear idea came to me all of a sudden and wrote it down. Worked on the concept a little bit today and I feel it brings my motivation to write back up.

I had been experiencing a bit of writing exhaustion after completing NaNoWriMo, so it's good to feel excited to write again.

Carlisle

Awesome! Looking forward to your success. :)
That has been one of my New Year's resolutions for the last two years as well... I also failed the last two years :(

But not this year!
*High five* I think I participated in every challenge last year and it's a great New Years Resolution to do. Best of luck!
Cheers everyone! Nice to know this goal is doable and not totally insane. I was quietly hoping no one would see the post so I could slink away unnoticed when I failed it. But now with public shame at stake I'll need to really put some work in :)

I already missed the first one here!

:-(
You gave me a small heart attack! But yes! I only meant the challenges that end in 2017.

Cyan

Banned
Writing hangout in a little over half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

mu cephei

I was trying to make good on my vow not to procrastinate, but it's not working. I got 500 words done yesterday and it was uninspired crap. I need the fear of the deadline to put a spark in things :(

Have y'all heard of a book called Thrill Me by Benjamin Percy? Here's a short npr review about it. I'm working my way through it now and think it would be a good read for a lot of the writers here.

Looks like quite a fun read, but the lit-vs-genre debate again? <_<

Red

It's not really about either or. He concludes they can both inform and enrich each other. I agree.

Nezumi

I was trying to make good on my vow not to procrastinate, but it's not working. I got 500 words done yesterday and it was uninspired crap. I need the fear of the deadline to put a spark in things :(

Same here, did some writing on Sunday and deleted all of it because it was crap.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm just trying to get back into my routine of having something by Thursday at the latest and revising it every day running up to the due date. My live went all topsy-turvy last summer and I haven't been able to keep to it since.

Working so far this year!

FlowersisBritish

Haha I'm glad I got back into a good swing yesterday. After reading some short stories, and comparing what I was trying to do v. what they were doing, I kind of had a breakthrough of "Fuck it! I'm too much in my own head, just write!" and it's been going really well since then.

Have y'all heard of a book called Thrill Me by Benjamin Percy? Here's a short npr review about it. I'm working my way through it now and think it would be a good read for a lot of the writers here.

Going to definitely check it out Red. I don't think I've struck out on a single one of your recommendations yet.

Well, i guess here we go... I've seen these threads for a while now but it always was a day before the deadline (probably because you guys bumped it with your entries), so this time I decided to actively search for it, and I actually found it like a week ago. So this is my first #entry ever to these things. I've not written a ton before (neither in English nor in any other language; main thing so far was flavor for one of gaf's renowned mafia games), so honest feedback is very welcome. I don't think it's particularly good (even for my standards) but you can't get better without a create-feedback-create-loop, right?

And of course the newb starts by dropping something that's not a short story but rather a layered in-universe document. Because that will make things easier for all of us <.< No seriously, I actually got this idea at like 2 am and thought this would by far be the best way to communicate it. Please note that the linked pdf contains a link to google docs. Both the linked document and the comments on it are part of the work. Please do not add or remove comments in the document.

Re: BRQ15-D125

Word count: 1750-1800 (343 for the mail, 1083 for the letter and around 350 for the comments)

FlowersisBritish

Happy Birthday Mike! I'm going to celebrate your birthday in the traditional style of marathoning all of A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix. Also maybe putting in a story or something I dunno.

Cyan

Banned
Man, I'm goddamn exhausted. Late nights at work all week. Finally finished part 3 of my novel to submit to my critique group, which I was supposed to give them a few days ago, at like 4 AM this morning. I'll pop in something for the challenge but it'll probably be more or less stream of consciousness.

This is not a disclaimer, this is me whining.

I think that can be arranged.

Ashes

Banned
I don't get it. Why would you want me to win on your birthday mike?

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to... edited for copyright reasons. See you again next year!

Tangent

Man, I'm goddamn exhausted. Late nights at work all week. Finally finished part 3 of my novel to submit to my critique group, which I was supposed to give them a few days ago, at like 4 AM this morning. I'll pop in something for the challenge but it'll probably be more or less stream of consciousness.

This is not a disclaimer, this is me whining.

Dude that sucks........ lots of work and no sleep is a horrible combination.

But interesting spoiler because you were the one who inspired me to never have disclaimers alongside my entries. But I didn't know whining was allowed. This changes everything. (I'm just kidding!)

Nezumi

Happy Birthday Mike!

Just got up at 6 on a Saturday to finish more or less on time this challenge. Can't remember the last time I did this.

Edit: Yeah... given my current writing speed... I might need that grace period after all...

FlowersisBritish

Time constraints mean I'm probably going to miss this round, so don't wait up for me. I might put up a DQ'd entry tomorrow night but who knows. Wow, missing the first challenge of the year feels pretty... ominous...

Cyan

Banned
They said he was unlucky
they said he'd missed the final ship
calling behind
as he stood on the docks

They said he was unlucky
left alone in a land deserted and torn
left to die
the ships never turning around

They said he was unlucky
as the island sank below the sea