• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid - Rogue Dawn (NES) First Trailer

ultrazilla

In the ask a game dev blog, he specifically states that it does not matter if the maker of the fan project makes money off it or not. The IP holder has the right to stop these projects and if they do no take action they risk losing the IP to the commons. Not sure if that means Nintendo has to act on every one that pops up.

This is 100% correct. A company that owns an I.P. is responsible for making sure their property rights are enforced and not diluted due to un-authorized use. Doesn't matter if the fan project is free or not.

Try this with Disney and Mickey Mouse and see how that works out for ya. ;)

Syril

In the ask a game dev blog, he specifically states that it does not matter if the maker of the fan project makes money off it or not. The IP holder has the right to stop these projects and if they do no take action they risk losing the IP to the commons. Not sure if that means Nintendo has to act on every one that pops up.

When has that ever been known to happen though? I keep seeing people say that, but the only concrete examples I've ever seen mention of are related to trademarks, not copyrights.

Boney

Banned
While Prism is a terrible precedent, I could share 10 quality Metroid/Super Metroid / or ZM rom hacks released after AM2R.

Metroid construction has been going strong for years. While there's risk of it getting C&D, there's zero chance this isn't going to release before that

While Prism is a terrible precedent, I could share 10 quality Metroid/Super Metroid / or ZM rom hacks released after AM2R.

Metroid construction has been going strong for years. While there's risk of it getting C&D, there's zero chance this isn't going to release before that

Since you seem to be into this, other posters feel free as well, what are some Super Metroid hacks to get into? I've never checked any of this stuff at all, so I'm actually quite curious. PM me if too off-topic, sorry.

I don't think this hack will get ceased and desisted unless it gets picked up by gaming news sites. That's usually how Nintendo takes notice, it's usually fine until gaming sites draw attention to it.

Anyhow this hack looks AMAZING and I can't believe they actually got this working on actual NES hardware (granted, "actual NES hardware" was fairly variable back then, NES games were expandable in a variety of ways due to additional chips in the carts, last I checked). Hopefully it'll play more like Super Metroid than Metroid 1, as well.

Branduil

This is 100% correct. A company that owns an I.P. is responsible for making sure their property rights are enforced and not diluted due to un-authorized use. Doesn't matter if the fan project is free or not.

Try this with Disney and Mickey Mouse and see how that works out for ya. ;)
It's 100% false that you can lose a copyright by allowing fan games. What you can lose from non-enforcement is trademarks, but there's no danger of that from a project like this. Sega allows and celebrates Sonic fan games, and there's zero chance of that causing them to lose their rights to Sonic.

MattyG

Banned
Blatant copyright infringement
I can't tell if you're serious or not. Oh man, this free fan project uses copyrighted characters, get Nintendo on the phone stat. And also report all those Skyrim mods and million pieces of fan art for every game ever while you're at it. Copyright infringement, all of it!

Metal B

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Oh man, this free fan project uses copyrighted characters, get Nintendo on the phone stat. And also report all those Skyrim mods and million pieces of fan art for every game ever while you're at it. Copyright infringement, all of it!
Yes, because without the IP, Nintendo paid money to make successful, nobody her would have interest for this "hack". Also Bethesda officially supports mods and fanart (like most Copyright infringements) fall either under parody, transformed art or simply don't get notice to be a problem.

LordKasual

Banned
fans making the shit fans want <3

Will definitely be playing this

Nintendo currently thinking of best time to throw a wrench in it probably

MrBadger

And got released anyway

Good point. But it wasn't released by the people who got the C&D

Yeah, the funny thing about it is that if any one of these guys decided to take Nintendo to court over a cease and desist order they'd probably win. They'd just actually need money to afford a competent lawyer.

These things are usually made by young, enthusiastic fans. Even if they could afford to take Nintendo to court, I doubt anyone would.

Metal B

Yeah, the funny thing about it is that if any one of these guys decided to take Nintendo to court over a cease and desist order they'd probably win. They'd just actually need money to afford a competent lawyer.
I highly doubt it. It isn't a parody, it isn't transformed, it has no education use, it isn't a comment or a review ... why should it fall under fair use?

DMiz

fans making the shit fans want <3

Will definitely be playing this

Nintendo currently thinking of best time to throw a wrench in it probably

My first thought, when I saw this thread pop up.

Granted, now seeing the time at which the first post was originally made, it's clear that this was before the deluge of cancelled fan projects were being hit with C&Ds.

This looks like a pretty perfect portable title. I hope to not miss out on this like I did AM2R.

Still kicking myself for that one.

PrimeBeef

When has that ever been known to happen though? I keep seeing people say that, but the only concrete examples I've ever seen mention of are related to trademarks, not copyrights.

I am unaware of any time that it has happened. I would bet that is because the IP owners actually defend their rights to their IP that it doesn't happen. The issue is, and will always be, people who do this for public consumption, have no right to do it regardless of what people believe or fell about how the official IP is being handled.

Ashler

This looks like a pretty perfect portable title. I hope to not miss out on this like I did AM2R.

Still kicking myself for that one.

I... eh.... uhm. You didn't miss out on anything. Things have a tendency of never going away on the Internet.

Syril

I am unaware of any time that it has happened. I would bet that is because the IP owners actually defend their rights to their IP that it doesn't happen. The issue is, and will always be, people who do this for public consumption, have no right to do it regardless of what people believe or fell about how the official IP is being handled.
It sounds like you're just hypothesizing then. Of course people aren't entitled to a right to make fangames, that's why their owners can cease and desist them. But going with anecdotal evidence in another direction, there is literally a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame convention, and it certainly doesn't look to be threatening Sega's ownership of Sonic.

It sounds like you're just hypothesizing then. Of course people aren't entitled to a right to make fangames, that's why their owners can cease and desist them. But going with anecdotal evidence in another direction, there is literally a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame convention, and it certainly doesn't look to be threatening Sega's ownership of Sonic.

If anything, Sonic's thriving fangame community allowed for the creation of the amazing-looking Sonic Mania and the Sonic 1, 2 and CD ports by Taxman and co. Providing some leeway can pay off and make way for new talent. God knows Sega needs it - Sonic 2017 could very well suck (Sonic Team games from Unleashed onwards have been all over the place in terms of quality even internally), so actually having a genuinely good or even great 2D throwback game from people who actually understand Sonic gameplay is a huge asset for the franchise's credibility, especially after both episodes of the last "2D throwback", Sonic 4 (lol), were trash.

I think Nintendo is sensitive about its intellectual monopolies to a fault these days, the lack of proper exclusive Nintendo content in games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge being part of the result of this. That being said, they seem to be fine with Nintendo content in games from 'trusted partners' such as Capcom's Monster Hunter games. I honestly think they could afford to be looser about that.

true Gek

675AV5U.jpg

On GB Micro it has some glitches but I hope that it will be full playable.

If not I will play it on my GPD Win :3

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
This appears to work (so far) on an EverDrive, so I'm currently testing it out on NES hardware. What a world.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So if I understand GAF rules, since this is technically piracy, there cannot be any impressions of the game posted here am I correct?

Fluxdyne

So if I understand GAF rules, since this is technically piracy, there cannot be any impressions of the game posted here am I correct?

They've only released it as a patch to the original ROM. It is not "technically piracy" if you own the original game and patch it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is it any good?
Absolutely! But there's some problems here and there - sometimes enemies can hit you during screen transition (not every time though), the beginning of the hack is a little bit challenging until you get the high jump and wall jump upgrades, maze-like location I really don't like, the map is way too small - big separete screen is much better, hidden locations is not being added to the map after you find them, the map navigation is a pain in the ( + ), lack of color on doors (you need to select the missiles to see the red door - why?)...

That's qute a lot of negatives you may say and I completely agree, but overall the hack is really good, but no where near as good as AM2R for example. I just hope they'll do something about rhe negatives in the future and fix some minor bugs. Version 1.10 is already available btw.

P.S. Did anyone get to the Chemical Weapons Vault yet? I know that there's beam upgrade located in there but I can't get there and I think I've explored everything I could... I've found bombs, high jump and wall jump upgrades.

Top Bottom