• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #13 - Wolfenstein The Old Blood
Time: 5 hours

Awesome stand alone prequel to New Order, Old Blood has the same great mix of stealth and balls out action that the "full game" had back in 2014. BJ has to recover a important document with the location of Deathhead's compound, and this takes him on a variety of locations in the 4-5 hour campaign. Great weapons, great gameplay, the only real problem I had was that it ran like shit on ultra and I had to bump it down. Great game nontheless, cant wait to see what Machine Head do next.

Main Post

Original Post

#3 DEADBOLT (PC) - 6 Hrs (1/15/2017) - Score: 7.0/10
At first I hated the game: no controller support, not the best looking visuals (to put it mildly), the gameplay felt slow and boring. I almost dropped the game after playing through a third of the missions. Luckily, I continued to play, because at some point it really started to click and I came to appreciate how everything was designed. The hit & run action/stealth gameplay (think Gunpoint or Ronin + Hotline Miami) works brilliantly once you start to master it.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
Main Post

1FVZ1Ji.jpg

Playstation 4

This game was the whole reason I bought a Pro. It is absolutely stunning. The game itself is now my favourite of the main 4, just pipping the second. It handles so well and the end closed out the series nicely. My favourite part of the game was the oh-so-satisfying grappling and swinging.
10/10

DrArchon

OP

GAME #4: Stories: The Path of Destinies - 4 Hours - 6/10 - 1/15/17

First off, a little message to the developers. If you're going to put your game on PC, make sure you have borderless windowed as an option in the settings, and make sure your graphics settings have more customization options than simply "Low, Medium, and High" settings. You're on PC, for God's sake.

Anyway, this was a cute little game. It's set up like a choose your own adventure book, with the choices you make determining which levels you go to, which future choices are available and ultimately how you're going to fail horribly before eventually getting enough knowledge to win in the end. The whole story is narrated like someone reading a book (see Song of the Deep for another example of this) and while the writing is hit or miss, the overall plot is well written and there's enough narration for what you're doing in game that I never found it to be too repetitive. The actual meat of the gameplay though is Batman Arkham style combat, with you mashing the attack button (just one button, no light or heavy attacks) and parrying incoming attacks that are designated by the enemies having big exclamation marks over there heads. It's quite braindead honestly. The parry is done by pressing the analog stick towards the attacking enemy and pressing attack, meaning that you never stop attacking for the most part. There are only six enemy types in the game, meaning combat was never that interesting.

There's also some RPG elements based around forging upt to 4 different swords and unlocking abilities through XP earned through combat. However, all of the swords work the exact same in combat except for a unique activated ability that each one gets. I just stuck with the one that lets you spend magic to heal HP and didn't really bother with any of the others. The swords also act as keys for certain barriers in the world that lead to side paths, but the only rewards for going down these paths were materials for improving your swords, meaning that after a while I simply stopped bothering with them.

There's a ton of endings you can get, with 24 being bad and 1 being good, but after getting 4 bad endings I was able to get the good one pretty easily. I could go back and get the rest, but the amount of actual gameplay content ran out pretty quickly and I didn't feel the desire to go through the same areas over and over again, fighting the same enemies over and over again, just to get 20 more bad endings.

The biggest offender for me with this game was the performance. I have a fairly beefy laptop that I bought last year, and it struggled to run this above the lowest settings. It's not a particularly great looking game, even on "High" settings, but nonetheless I was experiencing frequent framerate issues in combat and when destroying things like pots and boxes in the exploration sections. If you have a beefy PC and can get this on sale, then sure, you might want to try it out, but I certainly wouldn't get it at full price.

Dryk

Happy you liked it! I wish I could too.
If you are interested in knowing why so many people hates the ending with a passion, this is the best explanation of it that I've seen.
I can understand why people are fine with it. They probably saw the series differently from the beginning.
Personally, I will never forgive Bioware for what must be the worst ending in game history. :p
Whoops that was a typo :p

megalowho

This be my OP. Here we go -

mlVScSE.png

1. Tharsis (PC, 2016) | January 3 | 3 hours | 3/5
On my first attempt I thought this is some RNG bullshit. Explosions popping off, dice disappearing, crew members dying. Kept at it, got better at juggling the systems and finished on Easy a couple times. Once you've seen what the game throws at you it becomes clearer how to manage and what to prioritize. Nothing too complex but methodical and brisk, with unlockable classes and higher difficulties if you want the game to really hate you.

d6brfSv.png

2. Offworld Trading Company (PC, 2016) | January 8 | 8 hours | 4/5
An economic RTS set on Mars where you're a CEO instead of a commander. Matches are fast paced and cutthroat without being mechanically taxing. Early strategy is crucial, games tend to snowball once someone takes the lead and highly contested finishes seem rare. There's illustrated characterization that falls a bit flat and clashes with the clean look of the game, though there's also some good writing in there across the different tutorials and modes. Gets a bit stagnant once familiarity sets in but I can see myself coming back now and again for a skirmish or daily challenge. Also for the A+ soundtrack by the legend Christopher Tin (Baba Yetu).

Homeostasis

CiaMG8k.png

3. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PS4, 2016) | January 14 | 35 hours | 5/5
I've been savoring my time with The Witcher 3 so finally finishing Blood and Wine has been bittersweet. They nail the story, a serial killer whodunit with courtly intrigue and vampires. They nail the duchy of Toussaint, an intoxicating blend of southern France and fairy tales, with interesting stories and a towering capital and a vinyard estate for Geralt. They don't quite nail the additions to Gwent, though I still played too much. They definitely nail the hidden quest with your horse. A fond farewell to one of the greats.

xLTPpcu.png

4. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS, 2016) | January 17 | 65 hours | 3/5
Another one that I slowly picked away at before finally putting to bed in 2017. In retrospect I have more fondness for managing my party and aligning attacks for boosts than I do for the relationship building scenes they enable. The cast is serviceable for the most part, particularly the kids, but it's a weaker element and something feels like it's been lost in translation. There's home base building mechanics and online integration, the soundtrack is memorable, it's a good game of Fire Emblem with a good amount of content. Mission objective variety could be better and the overarching story doesn't seem like it's worth 3 long games, but part of me still wants to YouTube Conquest and play through Revelations on a Switch someday.

Dusk Falls

e8IhWGg.png

5. 140 (PS4, 2013) | January 20 | 1 hour | 3/5
A cool little rhythm platformer, well designed and well paced even if it only takes about an hour to play through. More mechanics are introduced than I expected, and though some ideas could probably stand to be fleshed out further there's something to be said for its condensed approach. Backgrounds pulse to the music and loud color palates range from pleasing to eyesores. Each level builds as checkpoints are reached and layers are added to the beat, culminating in abstract boss battles that each bring something different to the table. Enjoyed my time with it, glad I grabbed it on sale.

vr87eb0.png

6. Kathy Rain (PC, 2016) | January 22 | 5 hours | 4/5
I'd heard good things about this one, and for the most part it lived up to its reputation as a strong, original point-and-click with a likable protagonist. Small town amateur sleuthing with supernatural elements at play, similar to the first Blackwell, but the rules of Kathy Rain seem a bit more incoherent at first brush without additional context. The pixel art looks nice, world building and writing is on point and there's some good voice acting in there. Doesn't bring much new to the genre and it stumbles a bit towards the end, but still a promising debut and I'm in for Part 2.

bAkOVxQ.png

7. Peggle 2 (PS4, 2014) | February 3 | 8 hours | 3/5
It's.. more Peggle! And it's been a while since Peggle Nights so that's cool. The new characters are hit or miss but there's a couple of strategically useful new abilities like the boulder that rolls down the board and an electric shot that lights up nearby pegs. I skipped through pretty much all the cutscenes, do not care. Done with all the campaign missions but there's a good amount of content left in the challenge modes for when I need a Peggle fix.

wyaE9vz.png

8. Yakuza 0 (PS4, 2017) | February 26 | 80 hours | 5/5
My intro to the series. Came for the goofy charm and slice of life Japan ambiance, did not expect an affecting, well told story alongside. Sucked me in from the beginning and kept getting better, from the acting and writing to the direction and presentation. Strong characterization, slow burn mystery, hype encounters, memorable side missions and emotional notes that are earned. Solid brawler gameplay on top, never too difficult but satisfying. Got seriously sidetracked building real estate and cabaret club empires, even after 80 hours I still come back for more. Awesome game.

Interplanetary Spark

TicR63j.png

9. Clustertruck (PC, 2016) | February 26 | 3 hours | 3/5
A nice palate cleanser for when you're in the mood to jump on trucks instead of punch Yakuza. Like a lo-fi Trackmania with high speed parkour platforming. The physics are loose enough that there's a fair amount of jank and luck involved, but the off the rails feel is also part of the fun. Good stuff and something different, even if the harder courses were a little too tricky and unwieldy for my tastes.

xkB9l3i.png

10. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (PC, 2014) | March 5 | 15 hours | 3/5
I grew up with Tex Murphy adventure games, and this is certainly Tex Murphy in all his bumbling PI, B-Movie, 90's FMV point and click glory. The first half of the game is stronger, with the mystery at hand still unraveling and good balance pacing between puzzles, conversations and cutscenes. Later on it becomes a bit of a slog in a few key locations that feel overdesigned, while the story takes a turn towards the nearly indecipherable. Still a relatively successful throwback with low budget heart and a minor miracle that it even exists at all.

IzfdhXs.png

11. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android, 2017) | March 5 | 30+ hours | 4/5
Pleasantly surprised by how much I took to this one. It mostly starts and ends with the core gameplay loop - turns out a fast paced, smaller scale SRPG is a pretty fun concept for mobile. They nail the sweet spot of rounds lasting just long enough to satisfy while leaving room for just one more (until the timers kick in). I ended up messing with all of the modes equally, they pack a fair amount of content in. The cast is huge, the F2P and gacha mechanisms are there, and yea I bought some orbs in a fit of weakness but in hindsight I'm ok giving them some cash for the hours spent.

October update: Bumped up to a 4/5 due to the steady stream of updates and events. Still log in and play on a regular basis.

ULK8Wrn.png

12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U, 2017) | March 11 | 70+ hours | 5/5
Enchanting and engrossing, a masterpiece of the medium. The joy of pure exploration, line of sight discovery and emergent, open world moments married with Zelda's refined approach to action-adventure and puzzles, with a host of twists and new/borrowed mechanics to keep things fresh.

The richest interpretation of Hyrule to date, infused with a melancholic coziness reminiscent of Studio Ghibli and fitting for the nostalgic yet disorienting setup the game places you in. Every village and region fits the larger whole - NPC's, layout, local culture, and music are all superlative and distinct. And while the core mission sequences are some of my favorite in the series, writing your own stories off the beaten path is where the game shines. Hell, I decided to climb an intimidating and seemingly unremarkable mountain for no reason other than curiosity before storming the castle, thinking I'd seen most of what the game had to offer, and was left marveling at just how many secrets were left to uncover.

The framerate hits can be rough, cooking and weapon management could use some QOL tweaks, rain could be dialed back by 20% or so. Despite the acclaim it's not for everyone's tastes, with broadly paced game design that isn't afraid to be offputting or actively hostile to the player when called for. But this is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo put some magic in this one.

Korok Forest

DAckmfU.png

13. Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS, 2016) | April 1 | 8 hours | 4/5
In some ways the best Rhythm Heaven game simply by being a collection, and also the one I feel the least emotionally attached to. The whimsical story surrounding Tibby the pink bear child was something I completely skipped, and there was enough to skip that it still hurt the flow. Also points off for no Love Lab. Still the minigames remain fun, it looks slick, there's unlocks aplenty and Rhythm Heaven is cool.

3o7kE7Y.png

14. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4, 2017) | April 2 | 45 hours | 2/5
A middling, formulaic and buggy entry in what was probably my favorite series of the previous gen. An expedition of adolescents, shitty comedians, and forgettable NPC's offering checklist fluff over cookie cutter landmarks, actively taking away from the thin illusion of frontier discovery. There's a nagging feeling of Mass Effect madlibs as plot points are established and few opportunities for actual roleplaying among the quips and zingers flying from every direction.

That being said I still saw it through despite dozens of hours of padding. There's still enough mystery, satisfying powers, crew moments and systems where the numbers go up to be engaging. Environments are pretty and the space buggy does the job. Mass Effect is alright - recover an ancient AI, make a space rat your pet shit. But then there's those menus, the well documented animation shortcomings, a shaky ass intro, too much detective vision, locking up for seconds at a time during the final 1/3 of the game - in the end, even if I kind of have a soft spot for it the negatives outweigh the positives.

lhSQj1T.png

15. Persona 5 (PS4, 2017) | April 21 | 95 hours | 4/5
Intoxicatingly stylish. Cohesive and distinct presentation that's creative to the point of excess without forsaking readability. Presents an expansive mystery, cozy atmosphere and detailed environments with a strong sense of place. Characters have expressive animations and cool looking models, which helps to establish and flesh out the large cast of social misfits. Combat encounters are finely balanced between speed, flash, strategy and threat - my favorite iteration of the Press Turn system to date. Story dungeons are hand crafted and involve a substantial amount of one-off mechanics. Some ideas are stronger than others and some run a bit long, but simply trying goes a long way.

It's a hell of an RPG, but not a flawless one. English script has some clunkers and translation quirks. A few confidant arcs fall into traps of being redundant or shallow. Fanservice is lame, progression sticks to the series template with even more languid pacing and the central metaphors and scenarios don't all fit together quite as neatly as I'd like. That last one is partly due to cultural disconnect; the themes are universal and relevant, but P5 is still a critique of Japanese society from a Japanese mindset. Still, along with the requisite twists and revelations, those central themes pay off before the end and help to elevate the game past its blemishes. Also Shoji Meguro dusted off his Rhodes and delivered a GOAT contender soundtrack, again.

What's Going On?
Layer Cake

DT2md3t.png

16. Full Throttle Remastered (PC, 2017) | April 22 | 4 hours | 4/5
Always nice to revisit the LucasArts canon and hadn't played through Full Throttle in a decade plus. It's even shorter than I remembered, and while it's hard to argue with a tight script it's bittersweet knowing the world building on the periphery was never revisited. I also got to remember that the bike fight section was some bullshit. Commentary track and new art style is okay, some of the moodiness gets lost in the translation. Ended up preferring it with pixels.

43rM6cd.png

17. Everything (PC, 2017) | April 23 | 50+ hours (idle included) | 4/5
A neat thing that I feel good after spending time with. Ever since Proteus I've been itching for similar projects with a little more ambition and substance behind the procedural zen, and Everything definitely fits that description. Plays with scale and surreal mundanity in a Katamari-esque way and brings a philosophical focus to the randomness with warm narration by Alan Watts. Props for including a robust autoplay mode, as the visuals are perfect for a second monitor or screensaver.

3kp40ku.png

18. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC, 2017) | May 3 | 3 hours | 5/5
Really nice surprise this one, one of the best narrative games in recent memory. Reminded me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude in a lot of ways, the magical realism and cursed family lineage. There's a strong sense of forward momentum as you explore and float through the Finch clan's morbid history with unique presentation twists and excellent voice acting from the various narrators. It's deceptively dense with some great environmental storytelling, a lot of ground gets covered in just 2-3 hours. Highly recommended, couldn't put it down and it's lingered in my head ever since.

MIIz5ov.png

19. The Unfinished Swan (PS4, 2012) | May 7 | 3 hours | 4/5
Had to give Giant Sparrow's first project a spin after finding myself smitten with Edith Finch. Found it to be another rewarding and focused experience, relaxing and darkly whimsical, with a captivating aestetic that shifts over time and ties in nicely with the gameplay interactions and narrative path. Not as profound as their most recent work but exibits similar strengths in pacing, design and storytelling.

HNIDrv6.png

20. NBA Playgrounds (PS4, 2017) | May 16 | 10+ hours | 3/5
I will always have a place in my library for arcade basketball. Closer to a low budget NBA JAM than modern day NBA Street, you build up a meter for randomized powerups that range from helpful to overpowered. Played through the campaign in a weekend and unlocked a solid roster of legends for online. Nothing groundbreaking and some questionable decisions regarding shot timing mechanics, but I had a good time.

BFtiYRC.png

21. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC, 2015) | May 21 | 12 hours | 4/5
Swery65's ode to Boston accents, police procedurals and Twin Peaks (again) works as a tonal cousin to Deadly Premonition while also being a far less sprawling and ambitious project - a concentrated dose of Swery. His creative sensibilities are well served by the adventure game format and Access developed a compelling interface for interacting with and learning about the few environments it has to offer. The fractured, heartfelt mystery at its core may never be solved but the hot dog scene and killer theme song will live on forever.

Theme of D4

pm5h2WD.png

22. Shardlight (PC, 2016) | June 9 | 6 hours | 4/5

VUmkvlg.png

23. Trackmania Turbo (PS4, 2016) | June 11 | 8 hours | 3/5
A sun soaked, arcade focused, surface level trip down the winding roads of Trackmania. Can't compete with the PC version when it comes to user tracks, custom servers and capturing all the janky joys of the series, but the feel and core gameplay of puzzle + time trial racing translates. There's different vehicles with different physics, chipping away at the linear single player progression can be workmanlike but it's a good time in short bursts. Multiplayer options are serviceable and the signature ghost race playlists are in, but don't think I'd ever reach for Turbo over the PC offerings if that's what I'm in the mood for.

0zFUFEj.png

24. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (PS4, 2016) | June 20 | 30 hours | 4/5

3iu4osh.png

25. Picross 3D: Round 2 (3DS, 2016) | July 6 | 20 hours | 4/5
Methodically mining my way through Picross 3D 2 has been a long term endeavor, and a rewarding one. The soundtrack is soothing in that Nintendo elevator music way and the mechanics are a little more nuanced this go round with a second color to mark. Presentation can be a bit stiff but not much is really needed for the puzzles to shine. I did find myself making more inadvertent mistakes than I did with the original due to the controls, but it's still a welcome change. Also would inevitably reach a point where I began to brute force solutions and had to force myself to step away. Comfort gaming bliss, with a few small caveats.

Menu

fRKgbIP.png

26. Endless Space 2 (PC, 2017) | July 13 | 25 hours | 4/5
A dense 4X to get lost in for a weekend at a time, lording over the stars by means of an elegant UI that's efficient if almost too austere in places. Races are inventive and provide clear differences in direction for strategic approach. The exploration phase is engaging with quests and storylets to collect and track, space battles are passive but look cool, diplomacy options are disappointing, AI behavior can be wonky and the Unfallen theme has mad Oboes.

From the Heart

KWGbrkA.png

27. Fallout 4 (PS4, 2015) | July 23 | 80+ hours | 3/5
Finally crossed Fallout 4 off the backlog list. Credit to the game that I didn't want to commit to an endgame path I suppose, though none of the factions truly won me over in the end either. There's quality fights, quests and characters to be found but the commonwealth is a drab and familiar place, with a drab voiced protagonist where colorful RPG dialogue options used to be. Scratches the open world Bethesda itch but the cracks are showing.

0rtAiBX.png

28. Wiz Khalifa's Weed Farm (Android, 2017) | August 2 | ? hours | 2/5
Fuck it, I'm putting Wiz Khalifa's Weed Farm on here. I know it's a nothing game, even for clickers. I know it's gotten me to sit through a shameful amount of ads for even shittier looking mobile games. But there's something that kept me coming back for months. I wanted to have a dope ass weed farm. And at one point I somehow broke the game and got infinite money for a few days, so technically I won.

4wKM9Z9.png

29. Pyre (PS4, 2017) | August 2 | 12 hours | 5/5
I've always liked and admired Supergiant's sensibilities and house style, and while Pyre's disparate influences won't be to everyone's tastes it quickly became the game of theirs that I outright adore the most. The presentation, music, atmosphere, and Jen Zee's gorgeously surreal artwork impresses with a meticulous attention to detail. The writing and lore crafting takes center stage, weaving a melancholy but uplifting tale of faith, revolution, ritual and kinship. This is a choose-your-own-adventure visual novel at heart, with an excellent cast of characters and a world that lingers in your head after it's over. And the 3-on-3 fantasy team sport that compromises the other half of the game also delivers, with enough depth to work as a robust competitive standalone experience once the story concludes.

Strange Voyage

megalowho

UZ83dPK.png

30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U, 2014) | August 18 | 8 hours | 4/5
While I still have a few unfinished games sitting on my Wii U hard drive, with a Switch purchase on the horizon I circled back to Captain Toad knowing in all likelihood it would be my swan song for the console. Fittingly it's full of Nintendo magic, clever puzzle dioramas that are substantial and at times deceptively tricky without overdoing it or overstaying their welcome. Ideas are plentiful and mechanics are varied, while also being what you'd probably expect to find in a Mario themed puzzler. A feeling of repetition can also set in, hence the 2+ years to finish, but in short bursts it's a joy.

4rGNG4L.png

31. Nier: Automata (PS4, 2017) | August 22 | 40 hours | 3/5
Does special, quirky things throughout with multiple layers of thematic material to analyse and mull over. Plays with UI, text and perspective in meaningful, delightful ways. A haunting and unique work of sci-fi in a distinct creative voice. And yet.. combat becomes a drag long before it ends, as does navigating the lifeless environments. There's a detachment to the characterization and storytelling that undercuts emotional impact - I just didn't really care. And the fuck was up with that map. Great soundtrack, memorable game, conflicted thoughts.

Pascal

K7kwyVw.png

32. Hidden Folks (PC, 2017) | August 25 | 3 hours | 3/5
Pleasant and positive hidden object stress relief. A cousin to Where's Waldo, with densely packed locations and charming black and white visuals to poke and prod at. Sounds are all mouth based by the developers, with effective and charming results. A few of the clues can feel like impossible starting points but many are clever little puzzles with fun rewards, and relaxing enough just to play around in.

tUHPa5F.png

33. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, 2014) | September 3 | 15 hours | 4/5
Hell of a ride. Few developers can match MachineGames when it comes to FPS world building. They nail the quiet moments, tense interactions and even sex and romance with humanity and style. And then, after remembering why you'd like to shoot Nazis, you shoot all the Nazis, and Nazi robots and robot dogs. Stealth elements were better than feared and the special gun is put to good use. Campaign starts promising, becomes excellent and while the landing approach felt a bit rough it satisfies in the end.

lJs50Ug.png

34. Sonic Mania (PS4, 2017) | September 11 | 8 hours | 4/5
It's very good classic Sonic, arguably the best in the franchise since Sonic CD. The gameplay feel is spot on and the remix approach works for mining nostalgia. Boss encounters are strong, new levels fit in seamlessly and the soundtrack drips with 90's Sega VGM goodness. Modifications and flourishes to classic levels are inspired, making familiar worlds even more expansive and connected. It can be punishing, frustrating and haphazard, it's still Sonic. Could also have done without the spinning blue sphere bonus stages, gives my old man brain a headache.

Studiopolis Act 1

HHGw3XQ.png

35. Steamworld Dig (PS4, 2014) | September 16 | 7 hours | 4/5

943n7MN.png

36. Epistory: Typing Chronicles (PC, 2016) | September 30 | 5 hours | 3/5

4XnP3Z4.png

37. DJMAX Respect (PS4, 2017) | October 1 | 30 hours | 5/5

km1x1nF.png

38. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4, 2017) | October 7 | 45 hours | 4/5
Getting into the Yazuka series has been a highlight of 2017, what with Sega being gracious enough to drop two entries at the top of the canon for newcomers. Kiwami doesn't reach the hights that 0 does in most areas, which can be expected given its decade-plus old origins, but it still works as a natural extension of the story, characters and activities which is no small feat for a remake. Almost reminiscient of an old school expansion given the familiar location and narrower scope. The one exception is the combat system, which feels a bit snappier despite more gun toting enemies and less moveset variety. Ending was memorable, I'm continually impressed with how well Yakuza balances thier badass crime fiction with moments of genuinely funny comedy and emotionally charged drama. Kiwami 2 can't come soon enough.

u64eCYU.png

39. Rez Infinite (PC, 2016) | October 8 | 4 hours | 5/5
The definitive release of a classic, now easier to play with mouse controls and mind meltingly amazing to see unfold in VR. Flying through the surreal digital landscapes while drinking in the synesthesia is a top 3 experience in the medium for me. The additional Rez HD modes are there for replayability, the campaign is a blast to run for score on its own, and then there's Area X - a blissful and bittersweet example of where the franchise could have gone, if only you monsters had bought and played Child of Eden.

VjTwe3s.png

40. Tacoma (PC, 2017) | October 10 | 2 hours | 3/5
Another quality environmental narrative from Fullbright, this time on a space station with more personal dynamics to explore. The memory replay mechanic is a neat way to show off multiple perspectives and the voice acting is on point, as is the abundance of ad copy littering the ship. Game handles its sci-fi elements well, particularly its take on AR, AI and future corporate moustache twirling. In the end it is linear and light fare as far as abandoned in space mysteries go, fleeting and voyeuristic and perhaps over too soon for the character arcs to resonate. Still a nice place to visit for a couple of hours.

NYtqZbu.png

41. Steamworld Dig 2 | October 19 | 9 hours | 4/5

In Progress:
Crimson Shroud (3DS)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
Destiny 2 (PS4)

divider.png

1. Tharsis (PC)
2. Offworld Trading Company (PC)
3. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PS4)
4. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
5. 140 (PS4)
6. Kathy Rain (PC)
7. Peggle 2 (PS4)
8. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
9. Clustertruck (PC)
10. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (PC)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
13. Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)
14. Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4)
15. Persona 5 (PS4)
16. Full Throttle Remastered (PC)
17. Everything (PC)
18. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
19. The Unfinished Swan (PS4)
20. NBA Playgrounds (PS4)
21. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
22. Shardlight (PC)
23. Trackmania Turbo (PS4)
24. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (PS4)
25. Picross 3D: Round 2 (3DS)
26. Endless Space 2 (PC)
27. Fallout 4 (PS4)
28. Wiz Khalifa's Weed Farm (Android)
29. Pyre (PS4)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
31. Nier: Automata (PS4)
32. Hidden Folks (PC)
33. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
34. Sonic Mania (PS4)
35. Steamworld Dig (PS4)
36. Epistory: Typing Chronicles (PC)
37. DJMAX Respect (PS4)
38. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
39. Rez Infinite (PC)
40. Tacoma (PC)
41. Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)

Backlog:
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
N++ (PC)
Steins;Gate (VITA)
Uncharted 4 (PS4)

Original post

P0qIXYsl.jpg

5. Paint It Back (PC, 2015) - 55:53
Finished all paintings in the gallery and the archives (except 2016 election set) at highest available difficulties except for two paintings I did on Pro instead of Master.

I picked this game up at GAF's suggestion during the Steam winter sale, thinking it would be a nice little timewaster to get me started on this year's challenge. It didn't quite turn out that way; I VASTLY underestimated how much content there would be in the game. A game I assumed would take maybe five or six hours ended up being ten times the length. Paint It Back is a timewaster of the highest caliber, which is both good and bad; you can pour tons of time into the game, but it feels almost too easy to lose an hour or two to a painting. This thing needs one of those Civilization-style clocks to alert you when it's two in the morning.

For the most part, it's a great brain teaser, and I think if I weren't playing it for the 52-game challenge and spread out my sessions a lot more, I'd think even more highly of the game. There are a few minor things I'd change, though. Much of the game, especially at higher levels, asks you to do a whole lot of grid math--does a 27-block section plus a 6-block section plus a 3-block section fit inside a 36-block row perfectly? how much slack do I need to fit in somewhere? and so on. That part's fine; what becomes really tedious is constantly counting out blocks to make sure you got the count right.

If you ever run into a point where you got the math wrong, Paint It Back will eventually tell you your solution is unworkable. But by that point, you may be so far into a painting that your only option is to throw away everything you've done, which can mean an hour's worth of work on Master paintings. For two paintings in particular, I had to reset multiple times on Master, and often it feels like you just missed a count somewhere but if the mistake is sufficiently far back, you won't be able to undo the mistake without unraveling the whole tapestry and multiplying your error tenfold.

One thing I did really like about the game is the Mystery Masterpiece section, which essentially generates new challenges for you. I think it's all just the same paintings you've already completed in the gallery or archives, but there are additional ribbons you can win for things like not using too many Xs to mark empty spaces, or finishing the painting within a certain time limit. Since it's unlikely anyone will have all the paintings memorized, and because you don't get to know what the painting is until you complete it, Mystery Masterpiece is a neat way of reusing the same content in a way that feels fresh.

Paint It Back is great for playing while multitasking because of how much thinking you do versus painting. The game kept me company during dinners, while watching AGDQ runs and Twitch, and listening to albums I'd been meaning to sit down and examine in detail but had never gotten around to. (Side note: Gwenno's "Y Dydd Olaf" is really good!) If that sounds like something you'd dig, Paint It Back is totally worth the five bucks.

Dryk

I picked this game up at GAF's suggestion during the Steam winter sale, thinking it would be a nice little timewaster to get me started on this year's challenge. It didn't quite turn out that way; I VASTLY underestimated how much content there would be in the game. A game I assumed would take maybe five or six hours ended up being ten times the length. Paint It Back is a timewaster of the highest caliber, which is both good and bad; you can pour tons of time into the game, but it feels almost too easy to lose an hour or two to a painting. This thing needs one of those Civilization-style clocks to alert you when it's two in the morning.
It's absurd how much better Paint it Back is compared to the 3DS Picross games. The interface is clunkier (Picross e7 is the king in that regard) but the content is sooooo much more interesting and the game is way better value. You've unfortunately got nowhere to go from here but down.

Burglekutt

Just finished game number 5, Valiant Hearts. good puzzle game but amazing story and characters. I would definitely recommend.

Oreoleo

Main Post

6. Call of Juarez Gunslinger - 4 Hours
CrK3G6q.jpg

This game brings a lot of neat ideas to the table that makes it stand out from the FPS crowd, most notably a Bastion-esque style of narration that directs the action. However, the game is incredibly repetitious; within the first 30 minutes you've seen basically the entire game from a mechanics and design perspective. The game does end on an uptick as the level design becomes more noteworthy than in the opening levels, but the middle third of the game feels like pure drudgery.

Tambini

Original Post

q6TUn84.png

#10 Gravity Rush Remastered ★★★★ PS4 - Jan 16th - 13 hours
Bought this after playing the sequels demo and liked it enough to get the platinum trophy!

Flux

header.jpg

Game #5

Murdered: Soul Suspect

A murder mystery about your own murder. There are supernatural elements to differentiate this from a typical detective game. Pretty short, 5 hours or so and a reasonable level of difficulty as all clues are in the crime scenes. Let's you try linking clues without any real punishing consequences. The combat sections were not interesting, just there to pad out the game a bit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #14 - Power Hover
Time: 2.5 hours

I'm not a big fun of runner style games but I enjoyed this one. The campaign isnt very long, I finished it in a little over 2 hours, even got 3 stars on every level (except the bosses), the levels were fun enough to restart if I missed somehting. I really like the flat shaded look of the game, and the level design is quite good. Except for the boss levels, which are basically random generated levels to see how long you can last (luckily the score you need to get to progress isnt very high), I thought these were by far the worst part of the game and relied more on good RNG on the traps than actual skill. Still, cool little game overall.

Main Post

It's absurd how much better Paint it Back is compared to the 3DS Picross games. The interface is clunkier (Picross e7 is the king in that regard) but the content is sooooo much more interesting and the game is way better value. You've unfortunately got nowhere to go from here but down.

Oh no! That's not good. Though I heard that Picross has some quality of life improvements like counting the number of blocks in a section for you when you tap/drag; that would at least make it easier to play. Interesting that the content is apparently worse, though, I wonder why that is.

Currently Playing:
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (Steam)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (DS)
Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)

Completed:
1: Pokemon Picross (3DS) - 6:24 - 1/16/17
This was my first time ever playing a picross game. While I decided to not pay any money on this "free to start" game, I think it has given me the itch to check out some other highly recommended picross games. I basically played this game until I hit the paywall.

2: Solitairica (Android) - 6:00ish - 1/24/17
I started this game after I saw it featured by Drew Scanlon on a Giant Bomb UPF. On Android, you can play the starter "Warrior" deck with Ads for free, or you can pay $3.99 to unlock the full game and all decks, Ad-free. I played the starter deck, and almost gave up and bounced off the game. There is a bit of a grind to upgrade your deck, but when you get it upgraded all the way, the game is a blast! I began to earn which spells to buy as I progressed in each run, and the game rewards you once you learn the mechanics and strategies. Ultimately, once I had my magical run with the Warrior deck, I decided that was enough and did not pay to unlock the other decks.

6IHIQ0Z.png

3h-ish. Completed the game while consistently 4-out-of-4ing the awards ceremony.

I'm actually quite the Kairosoft fan, but checking my backlog yesterday, I noticed I never really purchased the game that started both the Kairo craze and the Game Dev Game fad. So of course I had to remedy that!

This game has not aged badly, but it shows its shortcomings compared to its more modern counterparts. The early game is somewhat challenging, with you requiring to carefully balance your resources, but the end game is a tedious wasteland of your company popping 10/10/10/10 games with no real competition and getting hundreds of millions in the bank.

But without Game Dev Story, the later, better games wouldn't have been possible - so we have to thank it for that!

My Score: ★★★☆☆

Original Post

My backloggery

#1 Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) - 13 hours
GHcoLP2m.jpg

#2 Manual Samuel (PC) - 1.5 hours
w4OCBZLm.jpg

#3 Wolfenstein The New Order (PC) - 7 hours
AEpc83rm.jpg

#4 Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC) - 3.6 hours
gwHEA48m.jpg

#5 Abzu (PC) - 73 minutes
9m9Jsw4m.jpg

#6 Alien Rage Unlimited (PC) - 4 hours
AoGbN2em.jpg

#7 Path of Exile (Breach league)(PC) - 300 hours
sV7KHUUm.jpg

#8 Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls (PC) - 21 hours
Cobwok0m.jpg

#9 Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition (PC) - 5 hours
lI9XlGqm.jpg

#10 L.A. Noire + DLC (PC) - 27 hours
M281boVm.jpg

#11 Gears of War 4 co-op on insane (PC)
OZ8Fnkcm.png

#12 Shadwen (PC) - 4 hours
52RSl79m.jpg

#13 Half Life 2 (PC) - 8 hours
Q7HbN8qm.jpg

#14 Half Life 2 The Lost Coast (PC) - 20 minutes
TjkSA9hm.jpg

#15 Half Life 2 Episode One (PC) - 2 hours
D7iJYmbm.jpg

#16 Half Life 2 Episode Two (PC) - 3 hours
y1aNoB6m.jpg

#17 H1Z1 King of the Kill (PC) - 41 hours and counting
ptpofx7m.jpg

#18 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 12 hours
koRd3dHm.jpg

#19 Dirt 3 complete edition (PC) - 18 hours
VmW4Zvam.jpg

#20 Putrefaction (PC) - 89 minutes
FpiOo0Lm.jpg

#21 Postal Redux (PC) - 112 minutes
YS6JcoNm.jpg

#22 Outlast 2 (PC) - 6 hours
qE8LkBWm.jpg

#23 Titanfall 2 (PC) - 4 hours
jHmoPezm.jpg

#24 Homefront The Revolution + all 3 campaign dlc's (PC) - 11 hours
vk6Qasrm.jpg

#25 Resident Evil 7 (PC) - 8 hours 20 min
dUrFzCYm.jpg

#26 Max Payne (PC) - 6 hours
I2PtLb3m.jpg

#27 Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PC) - 4 hours
QQdgVMXm.jpg

#28 Tekken 7 (PC) - 5 hours
qwudgqam.png

#29 Battlefield Bad Company 2 (PC) - 4 hours
9jkfyYgm.jpg

#30 Diablo II Lord of Destruction (PC)
UOifT64m.jpg

#31 Max Payne 3 (PC) - 6 hours
E1URDcpm.jpg

#32 Hidden Folks (PC) - 4 hours
HoZZcjdm.png

#33 Crash Bandicoot (PS4)
FmeWkUmm.png

#34 Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back (PS4)
YFIXlsKm.jpg

#35 Crash Bandicoot Warped (PS4)
gPWdmVym.jpg

#36 Nex Machina (PC) - 2.5 hours
6o0QnHRm.jpg

#37 Streets of Fury EX (PC) - 3 hours
Yt85fXWm.jpg

#38 Path of Exile The Fall of Oriath
tEy1vDym.png

#39 Starcraft Remastered (PC)

#40 Aliens vs Predator (PC) - 8 hours
4ENHj4cm.jpg

#41 Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 (PC)
vK5cCfAm.jpg

#42 Tooth and Tail (PC)
q2heFCLm.jpg

#43 Vanquish (PC)
zWscf0km.jpg

#44 The Walking Dead A New Frontier episodes 1-5 (PC)
ryfbu61m.png

#45 Cuphead (PC) - 8 hours
jB3ndsUm.jpg

#46 Half-Life (PC)
1lKCqnIm.jpg

#47 South Park The Fractured But Whole (PC) - 17 hours
sR7xPPOm.jpg

#48 Half-Life C.A.G.E.D. (PC) - 40 minutes
40bNPaIm.jpg

#49 Destiny 2 (PC)
1t6YNogm.jpg

#50 Hard Reset Redux (PC)
LNfDLklm.jpg

#51 Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (PC)
vi7ozAVm.jpg

#52 Torchlight (PC)
QyXcI5cm.jpg

Aquova

ovPawBU.png

Game 4: Advance Wars

System: Game Boy Advance
Year: 2001
Developer: Intelligent Systems

Overview
I'm going to be honest, I played 99% of this game about 2 years ago, but I was stuck on the final fight for ages. Despite this, this fight still took me about 3 hours to complete with all the redos I had to do. However, I still love this game and I greatly enjoyed returning to it.

Gameplay
Advance Wars is a statical war game, where you control various troops and try to defeat your opponents army. There are several different classes of troops, split between land, sea, and air troops. There are about 20 maps to complete in campaign mode, each of which focus on a different aspect of your troops, and many of them have a gimmick to get past, such as fog obscuring the battlefield.

Rating

Very good

This is an excellent tactical game, and one of the best games on the GBA. There are a wide variety of troops, each of them with their own strengths and weaknesses. None of the troops felt useless or over powered, the game is thoughtfully balanced.

My one complaint is that on several of the levels the game is definitely stacked against you. This seems like a strange complaint, but I was longing for a battle where the two sides would be evenly matched instead of having a gimmick hinder the player for added difficulty. There is a map maker option which circumvents this complaint, but I didn't get to experience much of it.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Ranmo

1. Kero Blaster | January 1st | 3 hours | Score: 9/10
I need to replay this game, but it's still technically beaten. I really want to experience the next difficulties.

2. Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight | January 2nd | 4 hours | Score: 8/10
Great experience, easily replayable. The visuals are stunning. I wasn't expecting it to be as difficult as it was at the beginning of the game. Though once I got used to the game, it became very predictable but remained rewarding nonetheless.

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC | January 23rd | 64:04 hours | Score: 8/10

4. Fire Emblem: Heroes | February 16th | Score: 8/10
Completed all story chapters on all three difficulties.

5. Tales of Berseria | February 23rd | 92 Hours (lot of afk so not sure tbh) | Score: 8/10

6. Final Fantasy X|V: Heavensward
Cleared Heavensward Post Game Main Scenario

7. Overwatch | Constantly playing

8. NieR: Automata | March 21st | 46:19:06 | Score: 10/10

9. Gravity Rush REMASTERED | March 26th | 09:00:00 | Score: 8/10

10. Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- | March 27th | 12:00:00 | Score: 7/10
Honestly, if I hadn't skipped the story it would have been like a 5.

11. Turtles in Time | March 28th | 00:25:09 | Score: 10/10
Timeless.

12. Super Mario Run | March 31st | 00:00:00 | Score: 7.5/10
It's solid, and I'm still going to play more of it. But I feel like I prefer other runners to it. I guess my main issue with it is that lack of randomization outside of mixing maps around. Other then that, it's worth the money, and I'm enjoying it quite well.

13. Super Bomberman R | April 1st | 00:04:00 | Score: 6/10
It's fun, but there are some visual issues with the aesthetic of this game (in-game). Love the cute art style, simple story is fun, I enjoyed that. Gameplay is classic and while I did enjoy it, certain visual elements lead to confusion. Also boss fights can be awkward. Nonetheless I enjoyed the game and will still play it on the go and when I feel like playing Bomberman, but it definitely has issues.

14. Luigi's Mansion Arcade | April 8th | 00:30:00 | Score: 8/10
I spent like 10 bucks, it counts. A really fun arcade shooter that feels unique due to the vacuum mechanic. Played the game with a friend and had a blast.

15. Persona 5 | June 6th | 147:24 | Score: 8.5/10

16. FINAL FANTASY X|V: Stormblood | June 25th | Score: 9.5/10
Cleared the Main Scenario for the expansion.

17. Fate Grand Order 1.0 Story | 6.5/10

18. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle ( Completed All Current Story Quests) | 7/10

19. Sonic After the Sequel | August 13th | 1:20ish | 7.5/10
Sonic Mania hype! I never got to finishing this game years ago when it was released and finally got around to it. I think some of the zones aren't as good as the first game (Before the Sequel) but nonetheless I enjoyed the experience overall. Mid to end game I started to really enjoy the zones.

20. Sonic Mania | August 19th | 10/10

21. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia | September 27th | 40:00 | 9/10

22. Cuphead | October 3rd | 04:00: | 10/10

23. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds | 7.5/10 | 35 hours (And still playing)

24. Fortnite | 8/10 | 15 hours (And still playing)

25. FINAL FANTASY XI | 9/10 | 75 hours (And still playing)

26. Super Mario 64 | 7/10 | 5 hours or so
Never been that fond of SM64. Had fun playing Co-op.

27. GUNDAM VERSUS | 7/10

28. Black Desert Online

29. Heroes of the Storm

30. Super Mario 3D Land

31. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

32. Digimon Links - Completed all current main quests.

33. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

34. Wario Land II

35. Wario Land 3

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
01. Headlander - 8 hours (100%)
02. Batman - Arkham Knight - 35 hours
03. Tap Titans 2 - 20 hours
04. Persona 5 - 110 hours
05. Injustice 2 - 20 hours
06. Gunpoint - 3 hours
07. Hyper Light Drifter - 6 hours
08. Destiny: Rise of Iron - 20 hours
09. Asura's Wrath - 12 hours
10. Trials Evolution - 3 hours
11. Devil May Cry HD - 12 hours
12. Total War: WARHAMMER - 14 hours
13. Forza Horizon 3 - 25 hours
14. Crypt of the Necrodancer - 15 hours
15. Pyre - 12 hours
16. Super Mario Bros. - 2 hours
17. Devil May Cry 2 HD - 5 hours
18. Slime Rancher - 13 hours
19. Devil May Cry 3 HD - 18 hours
20. Pushmo - 20 hours
21. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - 8 hours (Platinum)
22. Heroes of the Storm - 25 hours
23. Starcraft - 20 hours
24. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 8 hours
25. Super Mario Bros. 2 - 2 hours
26. Starcraft: Brood War - 20 hours
27. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty - 35 hours (100% Achievements)
28. Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - 20 hours (100% Achievements)
29. Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void - 20 hours (100% Achievements)
30. Starcraft 2: Mission Packs - Nova Covert Ops - 12 hours (100% Achievements)
31. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 4 hours
32. Final Fantasy IV (DS) - 32 hours
33. Hollow Knight - 22 hours
34. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - 30 hours

Currently Playing:
1. Forza 7
2. Far Cry 4
3. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Hitman

Significant Multiplayer Time:
1. Overwatch
2. World of Warcraft: Legion
3. Street Fighter V
4. Pokemon Go
5. Destiny
6. Heroes of the Storm

Played Some:
1. Hitman
2. XCOM 2 - Long War 2
3. Solitairica
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
7. Stephen's Sausage Roll
8. Puzzle & Dragon: Super Mario Bros. Edition
9. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
10. Super Mario Odyssey

Didn't have all that much time to game last week. But i did finish one and i'll add my year long games.

3. Firewatch - ★★★☆☆ - Trophy completion: 100% - Finished 12/01/2017

Well what to say... I don't really loved the ending of the story but enjoyed my time with it. Visually it was top noch for me.

4. Football Manager 2017 - ★★★★☆ - Trophy completion: n/a - Finished: Never

Keep coming back to the 2017 edition. Already logged more then 50 hours. Specially when I'm on the road this game find itself running in the background of my laptop.

5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 - ★★★★☆ - Trophy completion: 11% - Finished: Never

One, two, three games every night. This game is my other guilty pleasure and this years edition is Konami's return to form. Simply Amazing!

Currently playing: Uncharted 4, Battlefield 1

Backlog: Mafia 3, Doom, R & C, Hotline Miami 2

Original post

Aquova

SI_Wii_PunchOut.png

Game 5: Punch-Out!!

System: Nintendo Wii
Year: 2009
Developer: Next Level Games

Overview
The Punch-Out games are probably the only sports games I truly enjoy. You play as Little Mac, the scrappy underdog Rocky-type who aspires to be the best boxer in the world. You fight your way through a mix of racial stereotypes in your quest to become world champion.

Gameplay
Punch-Out!! is an amazing adaptation of the simplistic NES game into the 3D world. This game maintains the simple control scheme of the original, with only the D-pad and two buttons used to fight, with the A button occasionally being used for special attacks. This simple control scheme works well with boxing, which boils down to simply punching with your left or right hand. Fans of the original (like me) can adapt to the new game easily, while newcomers can pick it up quickly.

Rating

Excellent

This is an amazing game. The game is very simple, but also requires a great deal of skill and practice to continue through the game successfully. While it looks like I beat this game incredibly quickly (only 2+ hours), I didn't include the additional campaign as part of "finishing" the game, not to mention I was able to blast through the first 3/4 of the game from playing the NES game so much. Once you finish the game, you can fight all the boxers again, but with a much much higher degree of difficulty. This, combined with a challenges mode, greatly increases the amount of replay value.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

septicore

OP

Game 01: Hidden my game by mom (Android) 10/01/17 - 11/01/17
A silly game that's quite addictive and fun to play. There's like 30 levels/days which your Mom has hidden your portable console/handheld and you have to solve puzzles to find it and progress in the game.

Game 02: Metal Slug X (PC) 11/01/17 - 11/01/17 50 Minutes
Played this with my friend to take a break from Helldivers. One of my favourite Metal Slug games in the series.

Game 03: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PC) 07/01/17 - 12/01/17 6.5 Hours
The first Shantae game to be in HD and also seems like a soft reboot to the series? I'm not sure but either way its more of the same Shantae. Can't really fault the game much besides the length, short amount of stages but you're required to backtrack through them all at least once to progress through the game and maybe the spawn points when you're doing some difficult platforming. I look forward to more Shantae in the future.

Game 04: Hidden my game by mom 2 (Android) 11/01/17 - 12/01/17
This is more of the same as the first game and still just as fun and silly to play.

Game 05: Solitairica (Android) 29/12/16 - 15/01/17
This is a major time sink but eventually, I beat the game without paying for anything and that took so long to do. You have to pay to unlock other unique decks in the game and which also gave you more reward money for defeating enemies which resulted in making the game a bit easier to progress. It's a very addictive mashup of roguelike RPG and solitaire, my kind of game to play.

Game 06: Rusty Lake: Roots (Android) 13/01/17 - 16/01/17
Rusty Lake: Roots is a sequel to Rusty Lake Hotel which I played last year. This is more of the same but everything is bigger and better. Every puzzle you do tells a story and is connected to the next puzzles you do, it is an amazing game.

Tizoc

header.jpg

This is a sequel to Chains of Satinav, and while I enjoyed it more, I did not like the end game that much.
I don't see myself going back to it but wouldn't mind playing a sequel.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
2017 so far:

Game #1: Gravity Rush Remastered.
Platinum Trophy earned and all DLC complete. ~25 hours.

Game #2: Shantae Risky's Revenge PS4
100% items and challenge trophies besides speedrun ones. ~10 hours.

Game #3: Tales of Zestiria PS4
~40 hours in, should have it wrapped this weekend just in time for Berseria.

rahji

ovPawBU.png

Game 4: Advance Wars

System: Game Boy Advance
Year: 2001
Developer: Intelligent Systems

Overview
I'm going to be honest, I played 99% of this game about 2 years ago, but I was stuck on the final fight for ages. Despite this, this fight still took me about 3 hours to complete with all the redos I had to do. However, I still love this game and I greatly enjoyed returning to it.

The final fight can be real tough! I had the same problem.

Game 2: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3) - no time

I found it quite good. You have some badass skills like transforming into fog (symphony of the night vibes!) or you can transform into a rat to get into tiny holes. The despised stealth sections actually sections grew on me. At first I did not like them at all because there is no real tutorial and the guards are ruthless and have really good eyes but it gets better. This game has also some real cool boss fights like the medusa. But the story, oh the story. It is just plain bad. After beating that game I watched "everything wrong with lords of shadow 2" on youtube and it emphasized how really bad the story is.
But the game overall is not as bad as it is described by some people on gaf here. For me it is better than LoS because it gave me castlevania vibes right from the start whereas in LoS the Castlevania vibes started in the vampire castle which starts after about 1/3 of the game. Everything before did not feel as castlevania game at all. It felt really generic.
Completed with 68%. I am not going back to find all secrets or play new game plus. For that the game was not good enough.

next game: Catherine or Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

Tizoc

header.jpg

Yeesh.
This game got tough by the end. While from the outset one would assume this is a Megaman-style game, it really isn't one exactly. For one thing you do NOT get a boss' power when you defeat them. Instead as you progress you unlock additional guns to use but I've found many of them to be less useful than the main gun.

Overall the game had some nice stage designs but I felt that stages were a little too long and would've benefited by being cut down by 1/3rd at least.

Was a little bummed to realize that to get a high score you only need to beat a stage really quickly rather thana void dying a lot etc.
The item crafting is kinda dull esp. the items that you do craft (double jump item, air dash item, better recovery to name a few), and I honestly would've prefered an equipment that boosted your attack damage instead.

Non the less I still enjoyed it and hope Gunvolt 2 releases on Steam as well.

shingi70

Banned
Didnt do this last year but it seems like a good challange. Going to catalog the games here

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Rhaknar

header.jpg

Game #15 - Refunct
Time: 22 minutes

Very short but cute first person paltformer that has you restore color to various platform islands. Thats about it, but the music is relaxing, the gameplay is good (wall jumps son!) but it is more "experience" and than game, so it might not be for everyone. Worth a play tho if you get it in a bundle (like I just did in humble bundle).

Main Post

Thanks for the thread OP. I'm claiming my spot and will update as necessary. Due to the little time I had for games last year, fingers crossed I can meet the goal of 52!

Game 01: Titanfall2 PS4 1/1/2017 - Ongoing
Received for Xmas and wow, what a campaign. The mechanics of traversal always added a level of fun to every level I played. The time-switch sequence was particularly memorable. I've easily put in 10 hours on MP and hope to keep coming back throughout the year as its a great pick up and play experience.

Game 02: Telltale''s Batman PS4 1/16-1/20/2017
Bought the disc as used from GS and easily the best $$$ I've spent on a Telltale game in a while. I really enjoyed the story and backstory they had for the Batman universe characters. The use of the Bruce vs. Batman personas was well done and I found myself sitting at those decisions for a couple of minutes. The knowledge that the game can change from the choices will definitely have me coming back again to see the different outcomes by playing my Bruce Wayne/Batman differently. In the end, it left me immensely excited for the suggested sequel.

Game 03: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End 2/4-2/17/2017
Full disclosure, this is the first Uncharted game I've completed since the first one on PS3. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. I thought the pacing and overall story telling was excellent. This was the first game I used to stretch the legs of the new OLED tv and it did not disappoint. I'll avoid any spoilers but I really do hope they have a way to make another game within this series because the game play is top notch. I'm usually not one to track upcoming DLC, but I'm looking out for the new Uncharted 4 DLC this year, even though it's not Nathan.

Games started and on going:
-Ratchet & Clank PS4 (another one I'm pushing throuh on the pro, looks amazing)
- Gears of War 4 XboxOneS
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture PS4
- The Order 1886
- Starwars Battlefront - I'll count it once I've played each playlist once - PS4
- Battlefield 1 XboxOneS - I've played most of the campaign and plenty of MP. Will pick back up eventually to get to 10 hours in MP and beat the campaign.
- Dragonball Xenoverse 2 PS4 (1/30 Currently at the Frieza saga)
- Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens WiiU
- Bayonetta 2 WiiU

January continued:

This is by far the most "productive" I've been about beating games. A few of these were started two years ago...

10. 5 Days a Stranger / 2 hrs

I enjoyed this first game of the "Chzo Mythos" series. I will try to play the rest soon.

11. Titanfall 2 / 6 hrs

Effect and Cause was an amazing level. I love the way the pilot's control. But I didn't really enjoy the titan sections and thus the bulk of the second half was a let down. Beyond the one escape part, of course.

12. Read Only Memories / 5 hrs

I really enjoyed this visual novel, and the characters within. I was disappointed to hear I finally played this a week before the DC came out(should've waited!), but it was still worth playing all the same.

13. Six Sides of the World / 3 hrs

This a really overlooked puzzle game that was fun to make my way through. I still plan to go back and play the secret levels.

14. Gomo / 1 hr

Super easy adventure game that I got in a bundle. Meh.

15. The Talos Principle / 4 hrs

I gave up on this game two years ago with just 4 red pieces to get. I absolutely hate the time puzzles. So I gave in and used videos to beat those, and then beat the tower, which was fun. This is a solid but overrated game. Glad I finally can clear it from my backlog!

16. RYB / 1 hr

I beat the bulk of this (short) game last year. There were moments of great enjoyment spoiled by lack of clear instruction. It's really far too easy to not understand the ruleset and muddle through.

17. Grow Home / 3 hrs

I got sick of the control scheme two years ago, and did again, but this time went from 46 to 96% of the gems and completed it. I really enjoy the exploration but the gripping can be left behind forever. I will only check out Grow Up if its gone.

18. Verde Station / 1 hr

This is a terrible game that I got for 49 cents, so I can't complain too much.

19. BoxBoy / 6 hrs

I beat the entire game up until the the bonus stages back when this came out. I returned to it this week to get full crowns in the bonus worlds. It still took me awhile!

19 games / 68 hrs

Oreoleo

17. Grow Home / 3 hrs

I got sick of the control scheme two years ago, and did again, but this time went from 46 to 96% of the gems and completed it. I really enjoy the exploration but the gripping can be left behind forever. I will only check out Grow Up if its gone.

You actually might like Grow Up quite a bit more. The grip mechanic is still there *but* the game is much more vertically focused (in spite of the name), as now there's a whole planetoid (think Super Mario Galaxy but on a bigger scale) to explore, so there isn't nearly as much hand climbing to do. Also the sequel is pretty liberal with giving you upgrades (namely the jet pack and a hang glider) so you can kind of game the mechanics to gain elevation through the air rather than having to climb manually. I loathed a lot of the changes Grow Up brought to the table but then, I thought Grow Home was practically flawless and got 100% completion in two sittings. The changes to Grow Up might be more to your tastes.

Stoze

Game #5:
Event[0] (PC) / 1.16.17 / 4 hours / All endings, all logs
I think most of my thoughts on this can be summed up in Mark Brown's latest video. The interactions between you and Kaizen are something quite special, and typically his downfalls as a response system play well because he's actually a simple AI within the context of the game. The problem is how little actual conversing is required with Kaizen to progress, relegating core gameplay through finding answers in text logs or searching the environment. I'm also not a big fan of any of the endings, and the final conversation with KZ feels poorly implemented.

In the end though I think they still mostly succeeded with their main goal; Kaizen is a character and I'm talking to him. Not to mention piecing together the interesting narrative through logs, environmental design, and questioning KZ is excellent despite the endings. Lastly not touched on much in Mark's video is how strong the atmosphere, presentation, sound design, and art direction is in Event[0], which make the Nautilus feel like a real place.

Game #6:
Pony Island (PC) / 1.17.17 / 4 hours / All achievements
Highly entertaining and very creative, Pony Island is a cool game that manages to impress with it's great presentation and barrage of well developed scripted sequences. It didn't blow my mind, even with some clever 4th wall breaks, but it's exceptionally well made and worth a few hours of your time, and getting all the collectibles was pretty rewarding as well. Despite its short length, the actual side-scroller game in Pony Island is very mundane and wore really thin in the 3rd Act,
the adventure/RPG game area
. This was especially notable when I went back through it for a secret I missed, but those secrets are nicely implemented and worth experiencing.

Game #7:
Ziggurat (PC) / 1.17.17 / 8.5 hours / Beaten on all difficulties
Ziggurat plays out like a rougelite Hexen, featuring fast paced FPS combat and movement in a level/dungeon structure like Isaac. Getting the bad out of the way first; the game's issues lie in its initial lack of options and perks, lack of level variety, its bland personality, and the typical rouge downsides like a lot of travel time when you've cleared out rooms. The game could've counteracted some of this by unlocking more stuff faster, having a teleport option like Enter the Gungeon, and allowing me to play Hard from the get go with every character.

Ziggurat's core gameplay however is so damn fun and satisfying that I'll probably update my playtime later on as I still plan on doing quite a few more runs. What it lacks in personality it makes up for in polish, a near pitch perfect UI (shows all ammo counts, your cursor color indicates enemy health, minimap, etc.), a varied onslaught of engaging Doom-esque enemies, a decent loadout of weapons that almost all feel viable, and as mentioned the slick movement and frantic yet calculated combat. If you were left wanting more after Doom 2016, Ziggurat may fill that hole for you.

Main Post

Always wanted to take part in this, never had time. I'll try this year but with 9 month old baby might be super hard but will try my best to finish as many as I can. I claim this post

SSX - Xbox 360 - Completed - 35h+

I've been a fan of SSX games since the first one, hell I was a fan of every game made by EA BIG back in the days, so for me, the new SSX was something I really looked forward too. The game was in my backlog since its release date but a lot of complains from fans and not so great reviews kind of put it on hold for me and to be honest with you, I don't see it as a much different game than the previous ones. It's still SSX in heart and soul, perhaps slightly different, more modern and not as good as the other SSX games but still SSX none the less. There are tons of tracks to race or trick on and tracks are pretty much my only complain in this game. Proportion of bad and good ones is more or less even, so there is plenty of good tracks to race on. Those not so great are just simply too overdone, too many shortcuts, too many different paths, and most of the times you can easily loose your perfect flow. To the rescue comes Mt. Eddie, which is a DLC location, and the location, as the name would suggest, is pure SSX fun. Soundtracks was ok, I did actually find some good tracks to listen to, but overall it wasn't as good as SSX3 and it seems like DJ Atomika lost a bit of steam. There are plenty of new things in a game, like different kinds of items to buy, that range from common to legendary and with the higher quality items you get better perks. There are boosters, geotags, outfits, boards, ice axes, pulse googles, solar panels, head lamps, armors, wingsuits, all kind of stuff to buy. I really liked the idea of different equipment being needed for different locations or runs. Another great feature was global events, kind of like online but you don't actually participate with real people (that was added later in 1 2 3 events) but with their ghosts. The more people participate in the events the bigger the price was to win. I spent a lot of time playing global events cause it was simply a lot of fun. And last but not least, we have Deadly Descends, which also were a great idea and lot of fun. In the end I was really happy with the game, maybe it's not the best SSX game but it was really fun to play and I would recommend it.

Forza Horizon 3 - Xbox One - Completed - 100H+

After fantastic first game and kind of boring second game, still good but location variety was really poor and the road trips got old really fast, we get a superb Forza Horizon 3. One thing I can't complain about this time is terrain variety. There is pretty much everything in Australia, tropical forest, beaches, city, desert, country side, outskirts and snowy mountain. With no road trips this time it makes it better than Horizon 2 by default. The amount of thing to do in Australia is just crazy stupid. Exhibition races, championships, barn finds, bonus boards, bucket list, horizon promo, showcase events, drift locations, midnight battles and street racing, big jumps, speed traps, just enormous amount of things to do. This time PG let us run the Horizon Festival the way we want it and that was really great idea. We get to chose what events we want to run, how we want to run them, we choose where to build next horizon hub etc. really well though and done. I'm not gonna get into details about the soundtrack but I think it was absolutely great, with Hospital Records radio still being my number one. When it come to graphics there is no contest, Forza Horizon 3 is the best looking open world racer out there and when it come to IQ it's sets a new standards for sure, I've never seen such a clean looking game. Blizzard Mountain was absolutely fantastic idea and addition to the game, not only adds a lot of variety to already great game but it will let you drive your Lamborghini or any car for that matter in the worst snowy conditions possible. The amount of content and things to do in this DLC is just crazy, I think it took me over 40 hours to get 100% in the DLC alone, really well worth the money. Highly recommended for all racing fans, people still waiting for sale or looking for really good arcady racing game.

Ben-Hur - Xbox One - Completed - 4h

I really believe that every game, no matter how bad, has at least one good element in it, something that will make you stay a bit longer with it, even though game itself might be really bad. I gave this game 4 hours, searching for that one little tiny good thing and couldn't find one. Well, the game is super short, you can beat it in 20 minutes, so that's good thing I guess but everything else is just super trash. I had it in my library, so I had to play this, but please, don't ever bother with it.

Paper Mario Color Splash - WiiU - Completed - 75h+

I'm gonna be honest with you guys, this is my first Paper Mario game and I love it, everything was so well done. The presentation is fantastic, it might be one of the best looking games for me, entire word made from paper looks absolutely gorgeous. The writing was quite good for a Mario game, the humor was actually super funny, silly character and stupid conversations made me laugh more than they should. When I bough the game I though it won't be longer than 10 hours and boy was I wrong. There was a few really neat moments that I didn't expect, like making pizza or fighting a giant steak, commanding the pirate ship, taking part in the underwater show etc. really added variety to the game and don't let me start on those Roshambo temples lol I spent way too much time playing those silly mini game. I've seen a lot of complains about the battle system but I think it was just fine but also keep in mind, that this is my first Paper Mario game so I don't know any better. I spent over 75 hours with the game and the card system was still fun to play, the thing cards animations were very over the top and actually quite funny too. It's a game I would highly recommend as I had a lot of fun with it.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Game Boy Advance - Playing
info coming soon

God of War: Chains Olympus
info coming soon

Uncharted 4
info coming soon

The legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
info coming soon

REZ Infinite
info coming soon

The Surge
info coming soon

Nioh
info coming soon

Bloodborne
info coming soon

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Batman The Brave and the Bold

Spyware

Ziggurat plays out like a rougelite Hexen, featuring fast paced FPS combat and movement in a level/dungeon structure like Isaac. Getting the bad out of the way first; the game's issues lie in its initial lack of options and perks, lack of level variety, its bland personality, and the typical rouge downsides like a lot of travel time when you've cleared out rooms. The game could've counteracted some of this by unlocking more stuff faster, having a teleport option like Enter the Gungeon, and allowing me to play Hard from the get go with every character.
I gave up due to the negatives you mentioned here. I had fun for a while because as you said, the gameplay is great. I just couldn't stand the cons. I'm not a huge fan of the genre so that is a big part of it too.
I have to say I love the format of your posts! I really like that you state what you've accomplished, good pic choices and size and just the right amount of text. Draws me in and makes me read the whole thing. Nice! :D

My resolution this year is to actually finish games, so I might as well jump in on this!

So far here's my finished games.

1. Shantae: Risky's Revenge (PS4) 1/1/17- A bit short, but I still enjoyed it.
2. Galaga (PS4) Platinum trophy 1/7/17 - Still one of my favorite games of all time
3. Super Mario DX (3DS) 1/14/17 - Best version of Mario 1
4. Forced (PC) 1/15/17 - Really fun co-op action/puzzle RPG. Gets pretty buggy near the end though.
5. Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (PS4) 1/16/17 - Really really fun. Enjoyed every moment. Tempted to platinum it, just need the speed run trophies.
6. MDK (PC) 1/22/2017 - Pretty fun, but short. Also, what the crap was that ending O_O
7. Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita) 1/24/17 - More of a visual novel than anything. Decent story though/
8. Hammerwatch (PC) 1/31/17 - Fun Gauntlet style game. Super fun with a friend.
9. Gravity Rush (PS4) 2/11/17 - Loved the characters and world, controls felt wonky though.
10. Quake:Dissolution on Eternity (PC) 2/12/17
11. Super Mario Run (iPad) 2/19/17
12. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) 2/28/17
13. Epic Pinball (DOS PC) 3/13/17

Here's the next group of games I plan on tackling. Not necessarily in this order.

1. Shantae and the Priates' Curse (PS4 or 3DS)
2. Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
3. Persona Q (3DS)
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
5. Forza Horizon 3 (X1)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Splinter Cell (PS3 or PC)
8. Hammerwatch (PC)
9. MDK (PC)
10. Quake 2 (PC)
11. Fallout 4 (PC)
12. Persona 4: Dancing all Night (Vita)
13. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
14. Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
15. Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
16. Doom 2 (PS3)
17. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4 or Vita)
18. Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4 or Vita)
19. Uncharted Golden Abyss (Vita)
20.Gravity Rush (PS4 or Vita)

I think that's good enough to focus on for now. Might change up which games I focus on later, cause I've got more than enough to last me for a long time.

Theswweet

#2 NieR - Completed 1/12/17
#3 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Completed 1/17/17

I probably would've completed NieR last year, but my copy of the game ended up having issues so I had to order a new one. Kinda salty that GameStop had sold me a broken game, but it worked out in the end... probably going to go back and plat the game before Automata hits, I really enjoyed it.

Donkey Kong was good, but I definitely think it has some issues with "Trial and Error" platforming, which is especially annoying for a game with a lives system, even if it's pretty trivial. The soundtrack was ace, however... that goes for both NieR and DK, great soundtracks.

You actually might like Grow Up quite a bit more. The grip mechanic is still there *but* the game is much more vertically focused (in spite of the name), as now there's a whole planetoid (think Super Mario Galaxy but on a bigger scale) to explore, so there isn't nearly as much hand climbing to do. Also the sequel is pretty liberal with giving you upgrades (namely the jet pack and a hang glider) so you can kind of game the mechanics to gain elevation through the air rather than having to climb manually. I loathed a lot of the changes Grow Up brought to the table but then, I thought Grow Home was practically flawless and got 100% completion in two sittings. The changes to Grow Up might be more to your tastes.

I will eventually check it out, thanks. I just hated the way I tended to death grip the controller as I went up. Then I'd fall and die and have to teleport repeatedly. It was the middle largely empty air section that made me quit initially and it was irritating again until I got to the second floating island area.

Stoze

I gave up due to the negatives you mentioned here. I had fun for a while because as you said, the gameplay is great. I just couldn't stand the cons. I'm not a huge fan of the genre so that is a big part of it too.
I have to say I love the format of your posts! I really like that you state what you've accomplished, good pic choices and size and just the right amount of text. Draws me in and makes me read the whole thing. Nice! :D

Thanks a bunch. I was originally going to take screenshots myself but already ran into issues with that not working in a couple games, so I got lazy and just got them from their steam pages lol.

Oreoleo

I will eventually check it out, thanks. I just hated the way I tended to death grip the controller as I went up. Then I'd fall and die and have to teleport repeatedly. It was the middle largely empty air section that made me quit initially and it was irritating again until I got to the second floating island area.

Whoops! I just realized I wrote "vertically focused" but TOTALLY meant "horizontally." Dunno if you sussed that out on your own, but it wildly changes the point I was trying to make. In any case, Grow Up has much less actual hand climbing compared to the original.

Paskil

I'm game.

Game #1 Final Fantasy VI - 46:39
I can't remember now if I started this last year or this, but I played the bulk in 2017. Did some leveling of all the characters into the 60's with a few in the 80-95 range (to explain the length of time). This was probably my sixth complete playthrough? Oh well, I was largely inspired to play this by the series being 30 years old. I played and beat FFIV in December.

Game #2 - Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - 31:00
I just finished this. I powered through with a level 35 party with Cid abilitied out. My final party for the last stretch was 4xGeomancer with dual wield, counter, move+2, and attack oriented gear + move/jump shoes. I crushed the opposition without breaking a sweat most of the time. This was my fifth or sixth playthrough and like above, is largely because the series is 30 years old.

NOT Game #3 - Final Fantasy IX
I just did a playthrough of this about two years ago. Not really feeling the pull.

GAME #3 - Gravity Rush 2 or Mother 3 or Doom or Ratchet and Clank or Final Fantasy XV

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Get rid of the PS3 at my desk.
Actually play those long ass games I love.

I have these same two goals this year. There are a few big releases in 2017 that I'm looking forward to (included in the list below), but mostly I feel this will be the year I crush a significant part of my backlog. I need to shake my "completionist" habits and just get down to finishing games. I can always go back to them if I enjoy them.

I may consider getting a PS Now subscription to help with the PS3 titles (and maybe flesh out the list some more). Any impressions from fellow challengers concerning such a plan would be greatly appreciated. (Viability of PS Now games on Vita is potentially huge for me.)

Note that I'm allowing myself a few "gimmies" for multiplayer/online games I know I'll invest a significant amount of time into during this year (20+ hours). Some of them may have campaigns that I finished previously, but I consider these "comfort" games either for social play with friends, or when I don't feel like playing anything else. This might be considered cheating to some, but 52 is a pretty daunting number to someone with limited time and money. Please forgive me! I really enjoy playing these games!

Here is my list:
- Higher priority systems/generations at the top, but games are in no particular order.
- Cross-platform/cross-play games are listed under the primary console I play them on.
- Completed games will be moved to a separate list at the top, and given a banner/short paragraph.
- In order to have a complete list, I've crammed in some upcoming games that I'm interested in, but may end up not purchasing. In these instances, I'll replace them with an older game and concentrate on that.

COMFORT

Elite Dangerous (PS4)
ly7AtFf.jpg

This open-fare space sim has crept up and buried its claws in me. Deep.
A true sandbox that doesn't tell you or give you anything. You have to get out there and take it.
The incredible atmosphere and potential for emergent play make this one of the most intrinsically rewarding games I've ever played.

Titanfall 2 (PS4)
7eD4pWt.jpg

A rare online FPS in which I have fun whatever I do. Win or lose, in a party or solo; there's always something for the highlight reel.
Also blessed with fantastic support from the devs. I can see myself playing this one for a long time.

Street Fighter V (PS4)
n2K4Lfy.jpg

One great thing about SF is that it strengthens your self-restraint and mental endurance.
The lows are so very salty, yet the highs are unparalleled. Great fun with local buddies in the scene, too.

Overwatch (PS4)
UKjCK00.jpg

The honeymoon phase for this one ended a few months ago, once I realised I didn't care much for the meta.
However, I still play regularly with a group of friends who recently got into it. Pure social gaming.

Rocket League (PS4)
hDEYQHM.jpg

Not much needs to be said here. When my friends aren't playing OW, they're playing RL.
Quick matches, endless room for improvement, and guaranteed laughs every time.

COMPLETED IN 2017

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (NDS)
faqIdzI.jpg

I felt genuine satisfaction after defeating the Champion, who gave each Pokemon in my party a good workout.
As the credits rolled, the snapshots of my journey, coupled with the music, left a heart-warming impression that only these games can.

Steamworld Dig (PS Vita)
OwCQjb6.jpg

An addictive and polished "Dig It Yourself" platformer. Short loading times and popping colorus make this a perfect fit for Vita.
My first game started and finished in 2017!

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
PZCn5x1.jpg

Nice to play ME again, but not really satisfied with Catalyst on the whole.
Enjoyed the core gameplay for the most part, but by the end it all felt like a chore, and the story/characters did little to hold my interest.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4)
l4CVnVf.jpg

Had been through this before to help a friend, but finally felt in the mood to finish off the remaining bosses on my own save.
Some awesome new trick weapons and equipment, fantastic atmosphere, and some grave lore implications. Don't hesitate to get this if you enjoyed the main game.

Unravel (PS4)
qEYkks9.jpg

A charming (if somewhat flawed) physics-based platformer.
Enjoyed the game for the most part, and the messages it presented were very heartfelt.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
0LtShVx.jpg

A fitting modern follow-up to the classic that gave rise to the RPG/FPS hybrid.
Some rough story beats and dreadful boss battles did little to spoil my overall enjoyment.

Furi (PS4)
UYuSdP8.jpg

Pattern reading and parry-centric gameplay in its most simple, no-nonsense form. Very "digitalised" but rewarding once you suss it.
The walk and talk (listen) segments were narcissistic, and I had little interest in the story by the end.

For Honor (PS4)
2rNzSph.jpg

The campaign was a campy yet serviceable romp, but the real appeal here is multiplayer.
Finding it very addictive and rewarding. It's the closest I'll get to playing a fighting game with friends who don't like fighting games!
Also Raider is bae.

Risk of Rain (PS Vita)
BncUCDR.jpg

My favourite roguelike of recent years. Very easy to pick up and play, with a strong "one more go" hook.
Some nice dark, witty sci-fi writing and an excellent soundtrack complete the experience.

The Swindle (PS Vita)
XTDn0Jb.jpg

Initially quite charming. Has a nice roguelike hook coupled with interesting upgrades.
Slowdown, long load times (especially for a roguelike), and annoying traversal/hit detection bugs soured me out by the end.
Might play again on PS4 at some point, but honestly quite glad to have this one out of the way for now.

Axiom Verge (PS Vita)
KDU1rKS.jpg

Fantastic little Metroid-like from someone who really understands the formula. (Very impressive that it's all made by one guy.)
You get a real sense of progression as you discover new power-ups, while new weapons provide a nice "pastime" effect to keep things fresh as you go.
The music and story are also very well done. I felt both satisfaction and nostalgia when I completed it; like I'd finished a game from 20 years ago (in a good way).

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS Vita)
VFFjZW9.jpg

I found this even more disturbing and violent than the first one.
The original is almost "tongue-in-cheek" in hindsight, while the sequel explores some darker themes and imagery.
It actually feels like these two games should be discussed as a pair rather than separate installments, as they offer something quite unique in terms of overall story and experience.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
TXYHRcS.jpg

A compelling story within a beautifully realised world, filled with likeable characters brought to life with sincere writing.
Aside from those enormous pluses, it's simply a joy to run around in the world, fighting machines and taking photos.
It's rare that I start an open world game and don't get distracted. Thoroughly enjoyed this, and looking forward to seeing how Guerrilla Games takes things forward.

Mad Max (PS4)
NGBP5lc.jpg

The tone and setting of the subject matter are captured perfectly, while combat both in vehicles and on foot is meaty and satisfying.
The wasteland has a lot of variety and character despite being one massive desert, and toxic storms are some of the most exciting and well-realised random weather I've ever seen in a video game.
Shortcomings include a lackluster story and a poorly paced second half, but these are forgivable for what is simply one of the best "film to game" adaptations out there.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City (PS4)
FTnU7Nf.jpg

An appropriately austere end to Dark Souls as we know it.
Took my sweet time with this one, feeling compelled to soak up the lore and finish all optional content.
This series has never felt like a chore or a grind to me. I find that making progress and overcoming difficulties happens very naturally.
The Ringed City was the epitome of this feeling, and encompasses everything I love about the established game world and feel.

IN PROGRESS / BACKLOG / WISHLIST

PS4
Nioh
Gravity Rush 2
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Inside
NieR: Automata
DOOM
Hyper Light Drifter
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Dying Light
Batman: Arkham Knight
Transformers: Devastation
Lords of the Fallen
Life Is Strange
Broforce

PS Vita
Gravity Rush
The Swapper
Berserk & the Band of the Hawk
Uppers
Nova-111
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Dustforce
Super Meat Boy
Titan Souls

3DS
Pokémon Moon
Monster Hunter X
Monster Hunter 4G
Gotta Protectors

PS3
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Remember Me
DmC Devil May Cry
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Batman: Arkham City

cl8jFbc.png

53:54h. Game + Epilogue, Normal difficulty, continued dating best girl
still Laura
. Rank A1.

Perhaps this game should've been called ToCS Part 2, because that's exactly what it is: not a sequel, but a true continuation of the story, exactly at the point where ToCS left off. So, while shorter, slower and less epic, to use a common buzzword, than ToCS, it has the bonus of having a known and likeable cast of characters who have really good chemistry and a great setting. Also the battle system is still fantastic and the Corageous gives it just a tad of openness, which feels somewhat refreshing.

What's the worst about ToCS2? Probably that it's sort of cheesy. There's a raging, bloody Civil War going on in the most militarized country in the planet, with an onscreen death toll of
three people, one of them relevant to the plot
. There's no real sense of danger, or feeling of immediacy, even though extremely powerful, one-man-army legendary people are nicknamedropped in every conversation. You'll get tired of hearing "Heh. I don't know if we can defeat the legendary Adjective Noun, but we've got to try!" or variants thereof. It feels like you're watching an extremely resourceful school play.

And yet, for the aforementioned reasons... it all works. It all clicks. If it's a school play it's the best school play ever. I didn't want it to end. And just for that reason I think it deserves full marks from me.

My Score: ★★★★★

Original Post

Main post

Game #1: Picross e7 (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Probably my favorite of the Picross e series, if only for the refinements that it made to the series. It's not that much different from the others, but it does add a third input method: filling in spaces where you -think- a square would go. Not much to say about this, it's decent.

Game #2: Severed (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆

Aside from some occasional frustrations, this is a stylistic and substantial game that I think anyone who is even vaguely interested in dungeon crawlers should try out. The enemies and combat are super interesting and engaging, even when you consider that later enemies are, for the most part, upgraded versions of older ones (though with their own gimmicks). The bosses are really cool, and I love how legitimately dark this is. Also, the two-headed bird monster is great, they're my birb friends.

Game #3: Infectonator 2 (PC) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

It's an okay time killer, one that I do not regret, but ultimately I found this a little weaker than the first Infectonator. I found that the best aspects of it are things that the first game introduced, and a lot of the new stuff kind of bogs down the experience.

Game #4: Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆

A very good game, but ultimately due to a couple of levels, one that I found to be not as good as the first. I would say that Gunman Clive 2 has higher highs than the first, but the lower lows just kinda made me sad. In particular, I did not like any of the auto-sidescrolling levels (though the forward-scrolling ones were great).

Game #5: flOw (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

I never got around to playing flOw until just very recently, and I gotta say... it's pretty all right. It kind of feels like TGC has a similar structure to how the Mario series has grown. flOw is kind of like Mario Bros. - simple, arcadey - Flower is like SMB - also simple, but a lot more depth - and Journey is SMB3 - a major refinement of the past games. flOw was worth the trip through, but I doubt I'll replay it as I did the first two. It just felt too directionless and padded, that by the end of it I was hotly anticipating the ending.

Tambini

Original Post

Yj9Y5cw.png

#11 Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb ★★★ Xbox - Jan 17th - 6 hours
This game has some good ideas but is let down by the stiff controls and the framerate. The hand to hand combat is actually quite good, I like disarming people with the whip but towards the end of the game it gives you a load of ammo and encourages you just to shoot everyone. There is one tank boss right near the end of the game that is one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played

ehmL6Br.png

#12 Spyro Enter the Dragonfly ★★★ PS2 - Jan 18th - 4 hours
Again there is a fairly decent game hidden under the low framerate and glitches. The levels are massive but often feel empty and the difference breath powers are pretty much pointless as you use fire through 95% of the game. Obviously needed more time in the oven but it's as much a spyro game as year of the dragon which I don't care for that much.

I need to play better games

theBmZ

Original Post

2. The Order: 1886 - 6.5/10. 6-8 hours
A fantastic concept and stellar production values aren't quite enough to save the game from poor pacing and average gunplay.

Next Game - Final Fantasy VII

Nbz

Here we go again! Managed to do it second year in a row last year and I wasn't even trying to! Let's see if I can push for 3.

My Backloggery

1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
[Finished 18/01/17]

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
[Finished 27/01/17]

3. Fire Emblem Heroes
[Finished 07/02/17]

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
[Finished 22/02/17]

5. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
[Finished 24/02/17]

6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[Finished 30/03/17]

7. inFAMOUS First Light
[Finished 31/03/17]

8. Sound Shapes
[Finished 08/04/17]

9. Persona 5
[Finished 30/04/17]

10. Flower
[Finished 06/05/17]

11. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
[Finished 31/05/17]

12. Severed
[Finished 03/06/17]

13. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
[Finished 12/06/17]

14. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
[Finished 04/07/17]

15. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
[Finished 07/07/17]

16. Overwatch
[Finished 19/07/17]

17. Darksiders
[Finished 26/07/17]

18. Horizon: Zero Dawn
[Finished 27/07/17]

19. Splatoon 2
[Finished 12/08/17]

20. Hollow Knight
[Finished 19/08/17]

21. Sonic Mania
[Finished 22/08/17]

22. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
[Finished 26/08/17]

23. Fossil Echo
[Finished 27/08/17]

24. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
[Finished 08/09/17]

25. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
[Finished 12/09/17]

26. Metroid: Samus Returns
[Finished 16/09/17]

27. Knack 2
[Finished 24/09/17]

28. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
[Finished 27/09/17]

29. Star Fox
[Finished 02/10/17]

30. Golf Story
[Finished 03/10/17]

31. Bye-Bye BoxBoy!
[Finished 07/10/17]

32. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
[Finished 11/10/17]

33. Donkey Kong Country
[Finished 14/10/17]

34. Cosmic Star Heroine
[Finished 14/10/17]

35. Super Castlevania IV
[Finished 18/10/17]

36. Cuphead
[Finished 24/10/17]

37. Super Mario Odyssey
[Finished 28/10/17]

38. Yono and the Celestial Elephants
[Finished 03/11/17]

39. Wolfenstein: The New Order
[Finished 12/11/17]

40. Ittle Dew 2+
[Finished 16/11/17]

41. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
[Finished 26/11/17]

42. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
[Finished 28/11/17]

43. Rocket League
[Finished 06/12/17]

44. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
[Finished 11/12/17]

45. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild: The Champions' Ballad
[Finished 17/12/17]

46. Gorogoa
[Finished 17/12/17]

47. Finding Paradise
[Finished 20/12/17]

48. SteamWorld Dig 2
[Finished 23/12/17]

49. Rive: Ultimate Edition
[Finished 27/12/17]

50. Earth Atlantis
[Finished 31/12/17]

Axass

Original post.

Game 6: Atum - 1/5 - 10 minutes (16/01/2017)
EAliUu9.png

Completed the first "cycle". More than a game Atum's an artsy experiment, one that uses the interactivity of gaming to make a point about philosophical concepts.The game surely manages to do so, locking you in an endless cycle of interactions between you and yourself, a neverending loop that always brings you back to the starting point: perfect gaming representation of a "Klein Bottle" or of a "Möbius Strip". The gameplay is quite basic and lacking though, like most of the presentation: it's a means to an end, that the developer tries to spruce up with some nicely made interactive 4th wall breaking, so to lessen its dullness. Game's free and short though, I advise to try it.

Game 7: Tessallation - 2/5 - 45 minutes (16/01/2017)
mVAjspA.png

Completed the game, tried the playground mode. A freeware based on a single, albeit interesting, mechanic: rewinding time to create a series of copies of yourself, each used to perform a different action, so as to reach the end of every puzzle room. In fact, it may very well be one of the few games which can be said to employ single player coop, together with Braid and Cursor*10. The peculiar gameplay mechanic is explored in a bunch of different ways, however one can't help but think that in the end the result is quite shallow: you could build many sizable games on this concept alone. The execution also leaves a lot to be desired: the graphics are stylized but still technically unimpressive, plus there are some bugs that hinder the normal progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom