• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindy

Mighty-Gunvolt.jpg

6) Mighty Gunvolt 1/16

I am kinda ashamed to put this one on here given I only played through this with the Gunvolt main character and it took me about 15 minutes to wipe this game out. The game is Mega Man esque with the feel and look sure but the game lacks serious depth besides a 5 level travel that is about 3 minutes each and not much challenge in the levels itself and some very unimaginative set pieces in the levels that if you grew up on Mega Man, you would not be very impressed. The bosses provide a little challenge though once you get their pattern, it is a wrap.

I think I spent 1-2 dollars on this and I feel ripped off. A pack of gum would have lasted twice as long as this game. It's not TERRIBLE but I can't possibly say that after playing it that I was wowed or impressed. It's a typical safe Mega Man clone. Very unforgettable but the game was cheap to get.

Folks, sometimes you just need layups to get you to the path of 52. To kind of borrow sports analogy, It's not about how you get there, it's as long as you get there is what truly matters.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay. Saw this being charged for 4.99 on Steam, what? I did hear there was additional DLC for this game so maybe that explains the total cost there? If you can get this game for a dollar or something, then only buy this game. The game length and lack of any differentiation from a Mega Man game leaves you with a pretty unspectacular game altogether. This game is great for a 52 game challenge though, so it did help me out in this regard.

-Alan-Wake-alan-wake-30741999-500-210.gif

7) Alan Wake + The Signal DLC + The Writer DLC

I figured after that short addition that I can wrap up a full title game with 2 DLC attached to it to save some face :D

Finished Alan Wake, and the 2 DLCs, The Signal and The Writer. The story got over the place here or there(Either that or it just flew over my head) but the gameplay had some very good moments. The game is much better than Quantum Break, at least for me. Remedy still has no idea how to incorporate platforming elements into their games which hurts my head, they have had like 6 years to correct this yet they can't. The platforming portions of these games felt very rough where I would fall off the map in some funky actions. Quantum Break suffered from the inability of trying to jump and make platforms for the sake of exploration and I think Wake actually did it better in that regard.

The 1st half felt very survival horror alone, the 2nd half with co op partners(And I have to take back my complaint that the AI was awful, Chapter 5's AI partner was badass, in like 10 minutes alone she is a better co op partner than Dom from Gears of War) sort of ruined the element of scare/thrill though the game in given portions did have some big moments of having you get chased around.

Each of the DLCs were barely an hour and the credits were 1/10 of the overall timer of that thank god for some Space Oddity to keep you through the credits.

Unlike with Quantum Break, these collectables I think were better done and weren't so overcomplex with the descriptions where it took you 2-3 minutes alone to go through a file during the game to try and understand the story. The ability to do this in a storytelling fashion helped for the matter. The simplicity of combat for this game was the right move for a game like this, nothing ridiculous, the protagonist you played never felt OP and felt like a ridiculous person who can take on everyone and everything.

What did frustrate me is the random losing of items in between chapters and even during portions of the chapter given you are never too sure when a chapter will end. I held onto Flare Guns and Flash Grenades in hopes to save them for a boss or when I truly need them most and low and behold, I enter a new chapter completely itemless. Ruins the whole "Risk/Reward" method behind the game where if I fend off enemies with guns and flares/flashlights to save the top tier stuff for the more difficult portions that there was no reward to it.

All I have left is Alan Wake's American Nightmare and that's a standalone DLC so that might be a playthrough I go later in the year, maybe during Summer.....

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay: The game intentionally had a Twin Peaks/Stephen King(Which they hold no shame of mentioning his name a few times) real feel so I think with it's own cheese, it kind of captures the essence of both of those well known thrillers/mystery stories. I thought the game was good though the story somewhat lost me at given portions though I think it lends itself to wanting to read the lore behind what I just watched and played so in that regard there's some intrigue and mystique attached to the game that further adds to the overall entertainment you get when playing this game. I can say with my 17 or so hours with the mainline game and it's DLC that it was enjoyable. The DLC were about an hour each and I don't think you are missing too much with it so if you can get it at a reasonable price, go for it but you're not missing all that much if you just play the main game.

Karu

Finished
1. Need for Speed (2015)
~ 25 Hours
A fun racer that has a campy vibe to its story, but is weirdly entertaining - and almost ended up being its biggest draw.
3/5

2. Mirror's Edge Catalysm
~6 Hours
Running around the city is awesome, but the final missions and increasingly frustrating combat encounters ruin everything. What a disaster those last three missions are and the story going absolutely nowhere doesn't help in the slightest.
2/5

3. Pokemon Sun
~40 Hours
Refreshing entry in a franchise that is still somewhat near and dear to mz heart wlthough not being that invested in it in the last 10 years or so. After playing the dismal X, Sun shot up straight to the second spot on my GotY list 2016.
5/5

4. Hidden Game from Mum
~1 Hour
Fun little Android game with quirky humor. Definitely worth a look for the time inbetween.
3/5

5. Hidden Game from Mum 2
~1 Hour
Same for the sequel.
3/5

6 Bastion
~4 Hour
Finally managed to beat this sucker. I absolutely adore Transistor, but Bastion was never able to catch me in a similiar way, although trying again and again. This time I at least saw it thorugh til the end. Meh, it's okay.
2/5

Currently Playing
Gravity Rush 2
~2 Hours
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
~ 5-10 Hours
Final Fantasy IV
~2 Hours

Paused/Stopped
Dark Souls III
~10 Hours
It's amazing, but ultimately too similiar to Bloodborne, it's just not the same feeling. Been here, done that.
4/5

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
1 out of 52. Please see my OP for full tally and review scoring info (2nd post on page 2).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329611&page=2

Fallout 4: completed Saturday, Jan. 14th. Full video review coming VMR - Five Minute Reviews soon!
Time spent: 130hrs, almost 100% completion. Just missing the "Benevolent Leader" achievement.

fallout-4-logo-640x325.jpg

Thoughts: full video review coming VMR - Five Minute Reviews soon!
A beautiful hand crafted journey through atmospheric post-apocolyptica. Fallout 4 was an absolutely amazing experience that I will never forget. The art style, the improved gameplay that actual makes Fallout 4 a viable shooter (and a good one at that), and the music are all magnificent. One of my favorites games of 2015! I started in 2015 when it released, played until May of 2016, and put it down until November of 2016, finishing it just this year (Jan. 2017). The reason I stopped playing is because I was enjoying it so much... I did not want it to end. I did the same thing with Skyrim. All good things must come to an end though :).

- Negatives:
  • Minor bugs and glitches (I did not experience any game breaking bugs, though I have heard other people have).
  • Awful ending to an otherwise interesting main quest story (no matter what faction you side with, they are all awful IMO).
  • Enemy Leveling (has been an issue with all Bethesda open world games; it is a little bit better in Fallout 4, but its still an issue. Some weapons feel woefully under-powered for the task at hand, even when fully upgraded).
  • Some minor framerate issues (played on XBOX One, dips into the lower 20's during high action moments).
+ Positives:
  • Massive, hand crafted, fun to explore world (filled with unique and memorable locations).
  • Amazing atmosphere.
  • Responsive and fun gameplay, making Fallout 4 a viable and good shooter.
  • Superb art style and presentation (this game has many beautiful moments, the lighting and weather system is one of the best I have experienced in a game so far).
  • Superb sound design (finally weapons sound like actual firearms instead of cap guns).
  • Excellent music (the 40's and 50's tunes from Fallout 3 return along with several new songs from the same period and the late 50's).
  • The side quests are superb (particularly the companion quests).
Fun: ★★★★☆
Value: ★★★★★

3. Ratchet and Clank :
Loved the original and this remake is a blast from the past. Very pretty game and the weapons are a lot of fun. Using the weapons in effective combinations can make you feel pretty OP which is good. Platforming elements are basic but there is so much to explore. I might pop back on it and try challenge mode and pick up some more secrets but for the purpose of this thread this game is done.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #16 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Time: 2.5 hours

Great little platformer that unfortunately is very short, as I was really into it. The levels are great and look fantastic (well the game whole game does), theres lots of variety in places you visit, but its all over way too soon. You need to collect 7 gems to face the last boss, and it starts off by being 1 gem per zone/boss, but then it rushes near the end and you get 2 gems per zone (each zone is only 2 small levels and a boss usually). Shame because I really liked it. Narration is cool also.

header.jpg

Game #17 - Meltdown
Time: 5 hours

This was a nice surprise, it looked like any other dual stick shooter, but its actually more of a isometric cover based shooter. You can take cover, vault over cover, dodge roll, pretty much everything you can do in a third person shooter, oinly from a top down / isometric view. Finished all 30 missions but the game doesnt really end, its meant to be replayed and level up your character, so you can replay levels or do them with friends (or randoms) online. Theres a bunch of stuff to level, from skill trees, you can buy and then upgrade various weapons and gear, the weapons even have their own little skill trees so you can actually customize how you play the game. Very cool stuff. I also really like the look, but unfortunatly theres pretty much only one tileset (which changes up a bit around level 20 upward) so it can get repetitive.

Main Post

Original Post

#4 Kathy Rain (PC) - 6 Hrs 30 Mins (1/19/2017) - Score: 6.5/10
The main strength of this point & click game are its excellent puzzles. They are logical (with a single exception), satisfying to solve and strike a good balance in terms of difficulty (this is coming from someone who gets easily frustrated with puzzles in P&Cs). I also liked the visuals, the setting in rural america halfway through the nineties and the voice acting.
The overall story was nice to follow, but the writing felt clumsy at times and leaves quite a few unsolved questions. Some plot elements are given a lot of weight at the beginning of the story, to kind of disappear without a proper conclusion, in the latter part of the game.

febLey

OP

header.jpg

#06 | Spec Ops: The Line (PS3), 19. January, ~5 - 6 hours
Really strong narrative very good soundtrack, but the game doesen't look good, even for the time that it got released (yeah I know the UE3 is shit on PS3), the shooting didn't feel good and the controls aren't optimal.
But nevertheless a game I didn't regret playing.
– 6/10

SephiZack

OP

2017 so far: 7 Platinum trophies, 1 100% trophies.

1. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4, Playtime: 59h 38m) Platinum obtained Rating: 4/5
I have only played two other Disgaeas so far (3 and D2, 4 is in my backlog) and it is the one where I have enjoyed story and characters the most.

2. √Letter (PS4, Playtime: c.10h) Platinum obtained Rating: 4/5
Interesting VN, I enjoyed going through all the endings

3. Telltales' Batman (PS4, Playtime: c.10h) Platinum obtained Rating: 2/5
The Telltale game I enjoyed the least so far, together with Minecraft Story mode

4. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4, Playtime: c.5h) Platinum obtained Rating: 3/5
Had to play the entire game following a guide because I am not good with this type of games, but the story was interesting

5. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4, Playtime: 46h 39m) Platinum obtained Rating: 5/5
So far my favourite game of the year. Looking forward to the next Digimon Story. In the meantime, I will probably play Digimon World: Next Order

6. The Deadly Tower of Monsters (PS4, Playtime: 4h 56m) Platinum obtained Rating: 2/5
One of the few games that gave me a headache after playing, which is very strange considering it's not first-person (the other games where I had motion sickness issues were Portal 2, Bioshock Infinite and No Man's Sky). Otherwise it was interesting.

7. AdVenture Capitalist(PS4, Playtime: c. 8h) 100% Trophies Rating: 3/5
I gave in and changed my internal clock to progress. Kudos to people that play this game legittimately on PS4.

8. Sword Art Online: The Lost Song (PS4, Playtime: 20-21h) Platinum obtained Rating: 4/5
I don't really like the anime because of its multiple plot holes and asspulls, but it was a nice game. It was pretty cheap though, almost all the dungeons looked the same and the bosses were recycled multiple times.
I have one big issue with this game: whoever thought a jrpg with hundreds of weapons, accessories and items didn't need an automatic sort inventory button is an idiot.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
Original

bAZ7g0N.png

Playstation

Great game, screw the jet pack though.... OK, so I didn't try to 100% this, but 72% ain't bad right? This is usually rated as the best crash, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't handle as well as 3. Tis a massive improvement on the first though.
8/10

Game #2
Valkyria Chronciles Remastered - Completed January 12, 2017
valkyria-chronicles-cover-600x300.jpg

I am really glad that I came back to this game. After revisiting it in the remaster, I remember now exactly where I gave up on the game last generation - I'm proud to say that I overcame that chapter. While the game only has one difficulty, it isn't a cake walk by any means. The game is unforgiving if you goof up and leave someone exposed, whether that be Welkin or any of the other likable members of Squad 7. The story was pretty cliche and had a lot of predictable moments, but I was pretty surprised when
Isara died
and I did end up pretty invested in what was going to happen after that. I really enjoyed the different classes, as they all really had their advantages and uses - I used one of each class minimum per chapter. Karl the Engineer was my favorite for some reason. I laughed at his little comments, and definitely took advantage of his tank healing, amo replenishment, and decent mobility.The upgrades as you progressed were welcome, though it took me longer than I'd care to admit that you had to manually equip certain weapons to certain characters.

Overall it was a true pleasure, and I'd even consider going back to get the platinum trophy somewhere down the road.

Game #3
Battlefield One - Completed January 18, 2017
600px-BF1_LP08_Art.jpg

I haven't really heard much about this campaign, and I'm really surprised by that after playing it. Xbox One's achievements show that only about 9% of gamers complete the campaign, which is a ridiculous stat in my eyes. I only really tried this game because it came bundled with the console that I got, but I was pretty happily surprised by how much I liked it. Maybe it's just because I don't play a ton of FPS games, but I thought it was good fun. The stories were all short and sweet, and focused on a bunch of different areas of World War 1 which I thought was really cool. I think I had the most fun playing the aviation levels and the least that revolved around stealth.

I'll mess around with the multiplayer a little bit every now and then, but the for the most part I think I'm moving on.

Upcoming Games:
Unravel
KOTOR
Dishonored Definitive Edition

Blindy

Br5xBp.gif

8) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest(3DS) 1/9-1/13, 1/18-1/19

Disclaimer: Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favorite game of all time and I don't think that will ever get surpassed in what is my favorite series of all time. Why might you say? The platforming is very fair, the upgrades they did such as dual tag teams with a great female character in Dixie, more creative levels that have it's own gimmick, bosses that differentiate with each other besides 1-2 tricks, a game that is longer and has collectables that give you a challenge and make it worth while to go after and additional content in The Lost World that throws you the most difficult maps one can get. Add David Wise once again putting forth a timeless, classic OST and you have yourself a top notch game.

Like with DKC1, I strictly kept this game to a game I only play at work and nothing else.....well besides "grinding" for Kremcoins that I had to cave in and look for a guide since they were some very scarcely hidden ones and given you need all the kremcoins to go for the true ending, I had to do it. I did get 100% for this game and I am 4-5 DK Coins away from doing it, it might be something I look into but there's no real reward for you besides surpassing Mario in the top spot of collected DK Coins.

I would say getting the Kremcoins alone is worth it because you get the tall task of by far the most difficult level in the series, Animal Antics with the infamous Squawks part that anyone who adores this game knows and hat...loves. Unlike with DKC1, I felt nothing really cheaped me out in this game where I was at least able to see where I was going. I beat the game from 1/9-1/13 but I wasn't satisfied without not getting to defeat Animal Antics and K Rool the 2nd go around, that to me isn't finishing the game so I spent around 1hr 30 minutes in getting ready to tackle those 2 obstacles.

Just a well thought out and absolutely phenomenal game with tons of variety in it's stages. I don't know how one succeeds in surpassing your 1st entry in the game but Rare somehow, someway did it.

Recommendation:
Yay or Nay....it's my favorite game of all time, what do you think? ;)

Next game is going to be Gravity Rush 2....this is a great month for me with 8 games notched so far and we still have a little less than 2 weeks remaining.

Main post

-------

4. Beholder - 9 hours
Awesome game, great dystopian atmosphere and unusual gameplay. Did 2 full playthrough on easy and standard difficulties, i really enjoy it but there is 2 flaws that leave a bad taste - no manual saves (only autosaves after receiving new task) and no freeplay mode (story is great and have multiply endings, but game still lacks replayability). But still, overall this is great game and i recommend to try it. If you have This War of Mine and/or Orwell, you should definitely check Steam bundle that contains Beholder - http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2236/

Ted

I really love these threads. I didn't participate in 2016 as I knew it was going to be a crazy year for me with little time for games and failed miserably in 2015 posting a grand total of only 27 games but I really like the mini-reviews from all the posters here. Thanks for making it so good everyone who posts!

Anyway, I'm going to try again this year simply due to having a half decent January so far in terms of games completion and having a vague thought that I might mostly use gaming time this year to wade through my PS+ games.

This is my claimed post for a list and I will add thoughts on the individual games in a different post at a later date.

All posts index

Master List - here
Games 1 - 19 Comments - here
Games 20 - ? Comments - here
Finished With But Incomplete Games / Beta Tests - here

Completed Games (46/52) - 6 games remaining!

#1: The Deadly Tower of Monsters - ACE Team/Atlus - PS4 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#2: Tricky Towers - Weird Beard - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#3: Apotheon - Alientrap Games - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#4: CounterSpy - Dynamighty/SCEE - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#5: Maniac Mansion - Lucasfilm Games - Ed Edison's PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#6: Day of the Tentacle - Double Fine Productions - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#7: Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops - Wired Productions - PS4 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#8: Eufloria HD - Rudolf Kremers & Alex May/Omni Systems - PC - comments - ★★★★☆
#9: Lords of the Fallen - CI Games / Deck13 Interactive - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#10: This War of Mine: Little Ones - 11 Bit Studios - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#11: Journey - Thatgamecompany - PS4 - comments - ★★★★★
#12: Watch_Dogs 2 - Ubisoft - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#13: Mousecraft - Crunching Koalas - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#14: Super Star Wars - LucasArts - SNES - comments - ★★★☆☆
#15: Super Star Wars: The Empire Strike Back - LucasArts - SNES - comments - ★★★☆☆
#16: Driveclub (season pass content) - Evolution Studios/SCE - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#17: Letter Quest Remastered - Bacon Bandit Games - PS4 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#18: Tom Clancy's The Division - Ubisoft - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#19: Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - LucasArts - SNES - comments - ★★★☆☆
#20: Cruis'n USA - Midway Games/Williams - N64 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#21: Cruis'n World - Midway Games/Eurocom - N64 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#22: Cruis'n Exotica - Midway Games/Gratuitous Games - N64 - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#23: Oik - Dr_Crewcut - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#24: VOI - Yunus Ayyildiz - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#25: Oik 2 - Dr_Crewcut - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#26: Dying Light - Techland - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#27: Game Corp DX - Endless Loop Studios - PC - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#28: F1 2016 - Codemasters - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#29: Cook, Serve, Delicious! - Vertigo Gaming Inc - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#30: Dying Light: The Following - Techland - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#31: hocus - Yunus Ayyildiz, Sho Ohhira - PC - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#32: Banished - Shining Rock Software LLC - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#33: BalanCity - Fernando Cordoba - PC - comments - ★★★★☆
#34: Cannabalt - Finji, Kittehface Software - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#35: Half-Life - Valve - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#36: Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 - PlayWay S.A. / Red Dot Games - PC - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#37: Fortnite: Battle Royale - Epic - PS4 - comments - ★★★☆☆
#38: Samorost 3 - Amanita Design - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#39: Mafia III - Hangar 13, 2K Czech - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#40: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - Cyberdreams - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#41: Planetside 2 - Daybreak Game Company - PS4 - comments - ★★★★☆
#42: Cat Goes Fishing - Cat5Games - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#43: Technobabylon - Technocrat Games / Wadjet Eye Games - PC - comments - ★★★★☆
#44: Stories Untold - No Code / Devolver Digital - PC - comments - ★★★★★
#45: Grey Cubes - Deion Mobile - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆
#46: City Climber - SimpleGhost - PC - comments - ★★☆☆☆
#47:
#48:
#49:
#50:
#51:
#52:

☆☆☆☆☆ - Unplayable | ★☆☆☆☆ - Bad | ★★☆☆☆ - OK | ★★★☆☆ - Good | ★★★★☆ - Great | ★★★★★ - Outstanding/Exceptional

Finished with but not completed games (1/?):

#1: TorqueL - FullPowerSideAttack/Playism - PS4 - comments

Betas (2/?):

#1: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Ubisoft - PS4
#2: Gran Turismo Sport - Polyphony - PS4

Currently Playing:

911 Operator - Jutsu Games - PC
- Seems pretty cool. Will live and die on amount of varied call voice data. Mods supported so looking forward to dipping in.

Hitman - IO Interactive - PS4
Notes:
- Like the HD call back to missions in earlier games
- Stylish and cohesive presentation
- Looks great
- Sounds great
- UI is complex on first glance
- Turned off opportunity prompts for first play through so I could figure it out myself
- So much stuff encouraging replays
- Glad contracts from Absolution has been expanded on
- Loading times are too long and always online stuff seems like a pointless annoyance rather than offering any additional functionality

Kerbal Space Program - Squad - PC
Notes:
- AWESOME!

Ted

All posts index

Master List - here
Games 1 - 19 Comments - here
Games 20 - ? Comments - here
Finished With But Incomplete Games / Beta Tests - here

Game #1: The Deadly Tower of Monsters - ACE Team/Atlus - PS4 - ★★☆☆☆
Completion State:
Completed the story and a few "find x thing" side activities (65% trophy completion).

Comments:
Though this isn't going to make any GOTY lists it's a pretty fun little jaunt. I finished it up in around 5 hours and though the hammy b-movie flavour wasn't entirely to my liking they at least do it fairly well and lean into it fully throughout the game. The tower aspect gives a few interesting bits of architecture to traverse here and there but the top down view and average controls didn't really allow me to explore as much as perhaps I would have liked. The "shoot down" mechanic also didn't feel like it really added anything.

Overall, not a great game but not a poor one either. A decent short palette cleanser between other more involved games.

Game #2: Tricky Towers - Weird Beard - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Played as much of the single player as I can complete (about half of the expert trials, master trial unlocked) and a load of the multi-player (trophy completion 17%).

Comments:
I played most of the is 2016 but have been pretty addicted to the multiplayer (local and online) and am still playing it often. They recently updated the online to include a tournament mode so I have specifically revisited it for that.

Overall, it's a good, fun PS+ game. Pretty challenging single player (that I will alas, never be able to complete!) and really surprisingly good fun online, it's not something you're going to want to put hours and hours into but for a quick "I've got a few spare minutes and fancy some competitive fun" it's fab.

Worth a try if you want a new spin on the classic Tetris formulae.

Game #3: Apotheon - Alientrap Games - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Competed the story and all of the side quests, played a little of the local competitive MP (91% trophy completion).

Comments:
It's not got the best platforming or the best combat but both are done adequately enough to not feel like I am fighting the control scheme at any point. It's not necessarily deep but you do need to get used to the combat to find out what works best for you.

I really liked the art style and the story - though fairly basic - isn't a chore to get through at all. The bosses vary between fairly rote to quite imaginative and nothing is overly hard or frustrating.

I really did like the exploration above all else, the main quests (objectives) are pretty well signposted but there are plenty of side quests that aren't immediately obvious and require you to find and read the clues as well as having to do a reasonable amount of exploring. All in all - trophies included - there's not much you would need to consult a guide for (I really only checked for the find x "stash" side quest trophies) though I didn't bother with the collectibles one (find all lock boxes).

I also played some local multi with some old friends and that's pretty good fun as well, could do with some more maps but it's good simple button bashing fun for sure.

On the bugs, I put in more than ten hours and have had a total of 5 crashes to desktop/OS. Apart from one, these crashes occurred during fast travelling and have always at least crashed cleanly to the report screen. One crash was during a boss fight but the game auto saves at the start of these so I didn't lose too much progress. Equally none of the rest were much of an issue as the game auto saves fairly often and I have been making sure to manually save (9 slots) if I am about to fast travel after making progress where no auto save may have been triggered.

It's a shame that the number of bugs at launch have kept people from this as now that it's running more reliably it is worth a play through if you dig the art style and are up for a simple but fairly effective "Metroidvania".

Game #4: CounterSpy - Dynamighty/SCEE - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed the story on normal and did some additional levels to unlock weapons and formulae (61% trophy completion).

Comments:
This is a game that frustrates me a lot but not necessarily for what it is but for what it could be. In and of itself it's not a bad game, it's actually a very agreeable one but it NOT a stealth game and procedural generation is a crappy way to make a stealth game however you dress it up.

A stealth game should always allow you to progress without being detected (and ideally without even laying a hand on an enemy) if you are skillful and aware enough but it's not worth trying that in CounterSpy! You may get to the very last screen entirely unspotted, be feeling great and then walk through a door and be presented with x number of enemies staring straight at you rendering all your previous success null and void.

Played as an action game with a sprinkling of stealth mechanics it is a much more fun experience.

Worth noting though that anyone who plays inverted (Y) will have to make comprises playing this as you cannot invert the controls differently dependent on whether you are playing a 2d element or a 3d element. I've ended up leaving it uninverted as I spend more time (broadly speaking) in 2d and then imagine the 3d sections as controlling a pseudo mouse pointer rather than cross hairs.

It's a shame that I have these couple of issues with it as there is a lot to love about this game, not least the excellent visual style and the soundtrack which is fantastically evocative of classic spy fiction.

Game #5: Maniac Mansion - Lucasfilm Games - Ed Edison's PC - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed the story using my favourite kids (Bernard, Razor), microwaved a hamster for the DotT trophy.

Comments:
My young self found this game frustrating as it was not the kind of game I was used to playing on my NES, as Dan Ryckert said recently on a Giant Bomb, I just wanted to go jump on stuff.

My adult self enjoyed it a lot more but you sure can tell it's getting on a bit!

Game #6: Day of the Tentacle - Double Fine Productions - PS4 - ★★★★☆
Completion State:
Played through twice, once racking my brain to remember the solutions and orders from when I was younger, the second time was to do the few remaining trophy actions and listen to the dev commentary (100% trophy completion)

Comments:
Still a fun game with silly humour and puzzles that though not always immediately logical make a certain degree of sense after the fact and in the context of the mad world of the Edison's and the revamp just makes it better. The art and sounds have been updated perfectly in keeping and you can feel the love that went into redrawing and remastering everything so perfectly. Great job Double Fine.

Game #7: Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops - Wired Productions - PS4 - ★★☆☆☆
Completion State:
Played through both Soldier and Spec Ops campaign as well as getting past wave 25 in the zombie horde mode (86% trophy completion)

Comments:
It's pretty simple but fairly fun. I kind of wish it had local co-op though.

It's pretty easy to blast through and does get a little repetitive towards the end. They try to mix it up a little with some vehicle use in the second Spec-Ops campaign but as these levels are presented as on rails it doesn't add quite as much as perhaps it should.

The story is basic at best and you can tell the voice work was done on a pretty slim budget but I like the comic book style of the story presentation and the drawing is quite nice.

All in all, not a bad way to waste a couple of hours.

Game #8: Eufloria HD - Rudolf Kremers & Alex May/Omni Systems - PC/Steam - ★★★★☆
Completion State:
Completed story mode and the skirmish arenas (45% achievement completion)

Comments:
Very few games manage to be both intense and relaxing at the same time. This is one.

Beautiful art style, interesting but not complex mechanics, a simple but mildly evocative story, this is all round a good and stylish little game. Some challenging levels but it rarely feels unfair, you really need the right blend of puzzling and strategy in this kind of game and I think Eufloria gets it pretty bang on.

Overall, well worth a play through and despite me barely touching the dark matter mode (story mode missions dialled up on the challenge scale) I got over 25 hours of play time so it's surprisingly fulsome.

Game #9: Lords of the Fallen - CI Games / Deck13 Interactive - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed the game with all three classes (warrior, cleric, rogue) and saw all three endings (56% trophy completion).

Comments:
I'd never even really heard of it before it was on plus apart from seeing occasional mentions here that it was a garbage rip off of the "Souls" formula.

I've now finished the game with all three classes and whilst the game is far from perfect it isn't a particularly bad game, certainly not a garbage game, outside of the occasionally super annoying crashes.

There is a little bit of bullshit in there in terms of "fairness" but overall not a huge amount more than the only Souls game I have played (Demon's Souls).

I've had the most fun with the rogue class, rocking a staff, with just a little magic on top.

The class system itself seems fairly well balanced though I wish I could pick and choose between each individual spells rather than be locked into a set (whether tied to class or not). Ideally I'd like to run my rogue but with the rogue version of the prayer spell (energy regain) swapped out for the warrior version (health regain) whilst still retaining the stab spell. Might be too over powered though as this would give me the ability to largely ignore checkpoints (hence keeping my multiplier active), keep my health topped between fights if I am patience enough whilst saving my health potions for mid battle.

All in all, it's a little rough around the edges technically, the environments are fairly one note and the combat doesn't quite have a souls-esque depth but beyond the awful acting it's not too bad at all.

Game #10: This War of Mine: Little Ones - 11 Bit Studios - PS4 - ★★★★☆
Completion State:
Completed the game several times. Initially just with the pre-set options then several times again using the write your own story option (100% trophy completion).

Comments:
Wow. What a fantastic little game. Lovely art style, great ideas, interesting concepts, lot's of worthy stuff in here.

The controls are occasionally a bit of an annoyance but it barely mars the experience. The way it presents the human side of conflict to make this an entirely convincing war time survival sim is fantastic.

It's not the deepest survival game of all time mechanically but what is there works well and though you're basically managing pretty basic tasks to an ever ticking clock, in the context of the setting and the often heart rending compromises you have to make it just works.

Great game, thoughtful experience. Should be a mandatory play through for anyone more used to how war is generally portrayed in games.

Game #11: Journey - Thatgamecompany - PS4 - ★★★★★
Completion State:
Completed the game through a couple of times. Will re-visit to explore a little more thoroughly now I have looked at the trophy list (4% trophy completion).

Comments:
Somehow I have managed to not play this game until now but luckily I have also avoided spoilers so went into it blind and I'm glad I did.

I played late on a weekend in two sessions and had a "friend" for most of the game. Though the gameplay elements aren't outstanding they are fun and the setting, context and "story" are really good. I presume this is meant as a loose analogy for life and death. If so it is great, though perhaps a little depressing given how little a mark we leave in the game.

I suspect everything I could say about the game has already been said at more length, more intelligence, more thought and more eloquence than I ever could so I'm basically going to leave it at that except to say beyond the analogous nature of the game I also think it serves well as an experiment in player guidance despite an ultra minimalist approach to traditional UI elements.

Good stuff.

Game #12: Watch_Dogs 2 - Ubisoft - PS4 - ★★★★☆
Completion State:
Story and side activities completed, several co-op online missions completed (83% trophy completion)

Comments:
Deserves more words than I have the time or eloquence to write but I think this is a pretty damn good game. It's much more an open world puzzle game than an open world action game but I really like it as a result. I see a lot of criticism of the characters and story but for what it is it's pretty OK and notably touches on many subjects that are either relevant now or will relevant in the future without either being too preachy or striving for too much depth. Yes it frames some of these subjects in a pretty wacky or exaggerated way but that doesn't entirely dilute the impact.

Also worth noting it has some of the most unforced but relevant inclusion of a wide array of ages, genders, colours and sexualities that I think I have seen in a big AAA game. Young black men seeking careers in white dominated industries, a transexual in a high powered political position, a pretty gender fluid antagonist and an unashamedly powerful yet unsexualised woman. All good stuff.

Game #13: Mousecraft - Crunching Koalas - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Complete all 80 levels with all mice saved and all shards collected (100% trophy completion)

Comments:
Fun little puzzle game with a fairly basic premise, get your mice from their start point to the exit whilst collecting as many crystal shards to exchange for cash to buy more cheese.

With a few different mechanics like explosive blocks, crumbling blocks and electrically charged blocks it has a little bit of difficulty but nothing that should fox a puzzle game player too much.

Game #14: Super Star Wars - LucasArts - SNES - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed all levels.

Comments:
I pulled out the SNES over the chocolate egg holiday weekend for some local MP and after everyone was gone decided to re-visit some games I never completed as a teen. Super Star Wars was the first by virtue of it being the first to fall out of my shoe box of no longer played SNES carts.

It's an OK game. The platforming is not quite as accurate as it should be and this combined with some of the few leaps of faith you have to make adds too much frustration to an otherwise fun and simple side scrolling shooty/slashy platformer. The occasional vehicle sections would be a fun diversion if they held up better but if I'm honest these days they just don't stand up well. I'm sure graphically though this was a pretty exciting thing back in the day. The trench bit can bugger off though.

All in all an OK but no longer outstanding game.

I think for context it is worth noting that I have nary an interest in the Star Wars franchise (not even sure if I have even watched any of the films all the way through) so these games have very little inherent nostalgia for me and perhaps if I was these would stand the test of time better for me.

Regardless though I am going to attempt to tackle the other two movie tie-ins just to call the SNES series complete.

Game #15: Super Star Wars: The Empire Strike Back - LucasArts - SNES - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed all levels.

Comments:
Like Super Star Wars but harder! Way harder!

The additional inclusion of force mechanics are quite cool and a few other elements have been tweaked or refined. All these serve to improve the game a little, most notably the inclusion of more familiar double jump.

Good enough but frankly glad I'm done!

Game #16: Driveclub (season pass content) - Evolution Studios/SCE - PS4 - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed all tours with all stars included in the season pass (99% trophy completion)

Comments:
Regarding the season pass content specifically I think the first thing worth noting is that there is a lot of it but it is just more of the main game so if you didn't like that, this won't change your mind.

The cars included helped amend the lack of variety in car selection for me and included most of the cars I want in a game like this but the tours themselves added nothing new. I still enjoyed them as I really like the base driving model.

My thoughts on the main game cane found here for reference.

Game #17: Letter Quest Remastered - Bacon Bandit Games - PS4 - ★★☆☆☆
Completion State:
Completed all missions and about half with all stars (52% trophy completion)

Comments:
At first this was an amusing change of pace but you quickly realise, assuming you're an adult with a reasonable vocabulary, that even on hard it's too easy particularly after a few upgrades. There's not enough diversity in enemies or environments to make up for the limited gameplay provided by a spelling game. I played through all the levels but can't bring myself to finish them all again three more times to earn each of the additional stars: time trial - times are super generous; special challenge - where the overall stage has an additional condition like use less than n letters or words and; crystal star - all mobs have an additional condition and extra life. They just don't have enough variation or challenge.

Might be great for younger kids in a family environment.

Game #18: Tom Clancey's The Division - Ubisoft - PS4 - ★★★★☆
Completion State:
Completed all missions, pre-DLC incursions and found all intel (100% trophy completion)

Comments:
I originally played this at launch so this is technically a replay. I'm keen to try the DLC content but had been away from the game for so long I decided to start a new character to level up from the start to re-acquaint myself and to experience the progression system as a new player once again.

The story is structured fairly well and the missions are broadly speaking fun and engaging either for a single player or up to a group of four. They are all pretty similar in idea, go here, kill/get thing, go here, kill/defend thing but the environment around them are great and the shooting and skills mechanics are pretty satisfying.

It's pretty barebones in terms of plot but it touches on a few potentially interesting issues. Als though it doesn't really bother to either expand or directly challenge or justifying these. It's not totally unaware of itself - key characters do highlight the oddity of giving so much power to a covert group with little to no oversight - but there is no real exploration of how this influences either the player character or the narrative (particularly after the fate of the first wave of Division agents sent into the city is mae clear). Some of the side content collectibles add a little emotional depth to the context and story but these require the player to seek them out and engage with them and even then, it's all a just a fairly flimsy premise for the games quarantined city, huge amount of guns, no due process and special powers.

But hey, what a beautifully rendered version of a quarantined city. I think the dereliction is accelerated considerably given the time after infection but this makes for a great place to explore and sight see. I'm not familiar with Manhattan like a local might be but I've spent enough time there to be pretty amazed by how much mildly altered reality Ubisoft/Massive have managed to squeeze in. It's just a shame the map isn't more comprehensively used, beyond collectibles there really isn't a reason to explore great swathes of it and that really is a shame.

Most of the side missions are a little by the book and you do unfortunately have to do some to complete the levelling up process as well as upgrading your homebase to unlock skills, talents and perks. They're not too bad though given the fundamentals of the shooting and movement/cover are pretty satisfying.

The loot variety isn't perhaps as varied as it could be, I suspect mostly due to the semi-grounded nature of the environment, but for me,there was enough to keep me pretty satisfied in terms of the types of builds you can make. I'm not one for endless chasing min/max builds but I do like trying to make the numbers go up and there sure is plenty of numbers to think about.

Overall a really great foundation for what could be a successful franchise going forward for Massive and Ubisoft. Great core gameplay, fantastically realised setting and some fun set-ups, it just needs some polish and a more creative story to really push it above and beyond.

Game #19: Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - LucasArts - SNES - ★★★☆☆
Completion State:
Completed all levels except the final escape from the death star.

Comments:
First up, technically I didn't complete the final mode 7 escape from the death star level because I am pretty sure it is impossible! I might see if I can find someone locally with an action replay cart just to see the end!

The game mechanically is pretty much a slightly refined SSW:ESB. The graphics are perhaps the biggest improvement, the difference between the previous two SNES games was pretty marginal but this is a huge improvement.

As with many SNES games, sometime the sometime unfair difficulty spoils the fun but overall for it's time not a bad game at all.

milehighmudge

Neo Member
Signing for 2017.

Completed 2/52

January

1. VVVVVV (PC) - Terry Cavanagh - Total Playtime: 3 Hours - Heard a lot about this game over the years but never got around to actually playing it. Soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Some really great chip tunes that I'll listen to regularly. A somewhat challenging 2D platformer with gravity switching being the main mechanic of the game in terms of puzzles and movement. Relatively short game, although I wasn't going for 100%. Highly recommend this one especially since you could probably get it on Steam for around $1.

2. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (PC) - Rocksteady Studios - Total Playtime: around 40 hours - One of my favorite series of games of all time (yes, I liked Arkham Knight). I'm not sure what motivated me to replay this game again (and 100% it AGAIN) but I loved every minute of it. From the story and the voice acting to the combat and stealth gameplay, this game is absolutely amazing. The ending wasn't as strong as I would have hoped considering how well paced the rest of the game was up to that point but enjoyable nonetheless. Never felt like a chore to 100% this game, aside from trying to find the final 3 chattering teeth. The challenges are great and racking up a huge 50X combo never gets old. I will definitely be jumping into Arkham City at some point this year and trying to 100% it as well (for the first time).

3. Battlefield 1 (PC) - EA Dice - Total Playtime: 30 hours (includes multiplayer) - First two missions were fantastic. If all 6 missions were as good as the first two, it could have been so much better.

4. Shovel Knight (PC) - Yacht Club Games - Total Playtime: 4 hours - Fantastic modern throwback to Megaman/Zelda 2 (among other NES games). Not terribly difficult until you get to last few stages but its paced well and it never feels cheap. Going to jump into the Plague Knight campaign.

5. Watch Dogs 2 (PC) - Ubisoft Montreal - Total Playtime: 25 hours- I was surprised by this game. I went into it not expecting a whole lot but it turned out to be a very good game. The story was a little cheesy but the characters were fairly well developed and you'll find yourself starting to care about them despite how cringey some of the lines are. The combat in this game is not great (playing on Hard difficulty made this even worse) but thankfully you can choose to go stealth in virtually every mission. Using the two drones (RC and quadcopter) to scout out locations and hack objectives without ever moving your character is surprisingly fun. I thought I might get bored with it after awhile but each mission kept getting a little more difficult and it kept it fresh. Highly recommend this one.

6. Okami (PS2) - Clover Studios - Total Playtime: 27 hours - I wish I had played this game when I was younger because I think it could have been one of my favorites if I had. Fantastic game with an amazing soundtrack and story. Combat isn't terribly complex but the Celestial Brush techniques add an element to the combat and to the game in general that I have never really seen in any other game. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has yet to play it as it is one of the better PS2 era games out there and still holds up to this day.

7. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1) - Total Playtime: 4 hours - Was not going for 100% so it didn't take me long to beat. Loved this game as a kid but its definitely showing its age a bit. Hoping the Crash N. Sane remaster turns out well.

February

8. Batman: Arkham City GOTY (PC) - Total Playtime: 40 hours - Upon realizing what it takes to 100% this game (specifically because of all the DLC and extra achievements), it would just be too tedious to do it. I've collected all the Riddler Trophies and that's good enough for me.

9. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (PC) - Total Playtime: 7 hours - Did not enjoy the Plague Knight campaign as much as the Shovel Knight one. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it and look forward to the Spectre Knight campaign coming soon.

10. Ape Escape (PS1) - Total Playtime: 6 hours - More of a nostalgia trip then playing an actual good game. Decent platformer with some god awful voice acting.

March

11. Doom 2016 (PC) - Total Playtime: 10 hours - I have no idea why this took me so long to finally play through. Bought it basically when it first came out, played it for about an hour or two, and then didn't come back to it. Decided I would try again about a week ago and was not disappointed. Doom is an amazing single player FPS game. Even if it is essentially moving from one area to the next just fighting hordes of enemies, the gunplay and movement is some of the best I've ever played in an FPS. The variety of weapons and customization keeps the gameplay fresh and finding the secrets in each level is enjoyable. Will definitely come back to this one over and over again for years to come.

12. Axiom Verge (PC) - Total Playtime: 10 hours - Fun Metroidvania game. More Metroid than Castlevania with a huge variety of weapons and abilities. Did not go for 100% completion and just went through the game at my own pace. Fairly difficult at times (played on Hard) but overall decent game.

13. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (PC) - Total Playtime: 28 hours - Absolute classic. May come back to this one in the future to try and 100%.

March

14. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Total Playtime: 5 hours - Classic SNES platformer. On to DKC 2.

May

15. Nier:Automata (PC) - Total Playtime: 30 hours - Another fantastic Platinum game. I played it on Normal difficulty and it wasn't particularly challenging but enjoyable nonetheless. Story is phenomenal and really makes you think. I don't want to spoil any of it because its best experienced for yourself.

16. Rainbow Six Siege (PC) - Total Playtime: 100+ hours - One of my favorite multiplayer FPS games of all time. Each and every round of a match feels new and fresh because of the uniqueness of each operator. Wanted to write something about this but I'm definitely not done playing this game. New content is continually released and it keeps me coming back for more. Highly recommend this for any tactical FPS multiplayer fan.

17. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - Total Playtime: 10 Hours - Classic SNES platformer. Forgot how hard this got toward the end of the game. Seriously challenging levels but very fun. On to Donkey Kong Country 3 which I have never beat.

18. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES) - Total Playtime: 10 hours - Never played this one. Final boss was pretty frustrating. Don't like this one as much as the first two but still a good SNES game. Music isn't as good either.

June

19. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC) (Replay) - Total Playtime: 15 hours - A little bit of an underrated game. Played this one as I'm excited for the new one coming out this year.

20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - Total Playtime: 14 hours - Classic Zelda that I never beat as a kid. Finally got around to beating it and what a wonderful game. Absolute classic. Perhaps its finally time to beat A Link Between Worlds.

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) - Total Playtime: 10 hours - Never beat this one as a kid either. Don't like it as much as Super Mario World but still a solid platformer nonetheless.

22. L.A Noire (PC) - Total Playtime: 32 hours - Had started this game several times before but never completed the whole thing. Very unique detective game. Wish there were more games like this.

23. Advance Wars (GBA) - Total Playtime - 10 hours - Remember playing this game as a kid but was too young to actually beat it. Can be quite frustrating and difficult at times but I'm also not very good at tactics. Enjoyed it nonetheless, may play Advance Wars 2 someday

July

24. Wario Land 4 (GBA) - Total Playtime - 8 hours - I absolutely loved Wario Land 3 as a kid and never even knew this one existed. This is a great platformer and I wish they would make more of them.

25. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - Total Playtime - 15 hours - I played Bowser's Inside Story before this and loved it so I thought I would go back and play some of the other Mario & Luigi games. These games are truly underrated. Story is humorous and not so serious but these are good RPG's nonetheless. I may move on to one of the other Mario & Luigi games at some point.

26. Hollow Knight (PC) - Total Playtime - 16 hours - Absolutely fantastic Metroidvania game. Did not 100% it but I will go back and do it at some point. Exploration is fun and the only complaint I have is traversing the very large map could be a little faster.

August

27. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS) - Total Playtime - 15 hours - Had been sitting on this game unfinished for awhile. I saw that there was a new Layton game for iOS and Android and decided I would finish this one before starting that one. Great logic puzzles, keeps your brain sharp.

28. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) - Total Playtime - 10 hours - Cute investigative and trial game. Will definitely look into playing some of the others.

September

29. Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall (PC) - Total Playtime - 5 hours - Relatively short DLC for Dishonored but absolutely amazing. With Corvo I felt like I needed to be good and not kill anyone but in this DLC, playing as Daud, I didn't feel restricted at all and just played however I wanted, killing whoever. It was freeing and overall, more Dishonored is never a bad thing. Onto to Brigmore Witches.

30. Dishonored : The Brigmore Witches (PC) - Total Playtime - 6 hours - A continuation of the story after Knife of Dunwall and still so good. Played it the same way as Knife of Dunwall, high chaos, and just went crazy. Would love to move on to Dishonored 2 when the price comes down.

31. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - Total Playtime - 40 hours - My first ever platinum trophy in my first PS4 game. Fantastic open world RPG. Doesn't redefine the genre but does everything so well that it stands on its own as one of the best open world games.

October

32. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - 16 hours - Do not have much experience with the Gameboy/DS Zelda games but this was a truly fantastic game. Great artstyle and I've always really liked the design of Toon Link a la Wind Waker. Underappreciated Zelda game that needs more love.

33. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - Total Playtime - 4 hours - Been playing a lot of classic GBA games I never played when I was younger. Absolutely amazing game, possibly the best remake ever (remake of Metroid for the NES). The pixel art in this game is amazing, games today try and look like this. This was shorter than I thought it would be but considering it is a remake of a NES game it makes sense. Probably going to move on to Metroid: Fusion.

34. Metroid: Fusion (GBA) - Total Playtime - 4 hours - Another great Metroid game that I never played when I was younger.

35. Shadow Warrior 2 - Total Playtime - 13 hours - Enjoyable looter shooter. Definitely enjoyed the first way more and may actually go back and play it.

36. Furi - Total Playtime - 4 hours - Amazing soundtrack, difficult gameplay. May come back to this one for the harder difficulty.

November

37. Guacamelee! Gold Edition - Total Playtime - 5 hours - Great metroidvania style platformer. Fantastic art style and comboing enemies is quite satisfying.

38. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) - Replay - Total Playtime - 7 hours - Wanted to play this one since I've yet to buy the sequel. Fantastic FPS. Wish it ran above 60fps. Onto Old Blood possibly.

39. Cuphead (PC) - Total Playtime - 6 hours - Possibly some of the best hand drawn art in a video game. Boss designs are creative and whacky. The game is hard but its a lot of trial and error so if you don't like dying a lot in games this isn't for you. Loved the challenge of it. May try for 100%.

40. Portal 2 - Total Playtime - 8 hours - Started this around when it first came out but never actually completed it. This and Portal are some the best puzzle games I've ever played.

41. Soma (PC) - Total Playtime - 7 hours - From the makers of the Amnesia games. Not so much horror as it was a psychological mystery. Won't spoil it but definitely worth seeing to the end.

Currently Playing:
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (Android)
Bloodborne (PS4)
The End is Nigh (PC)
Assassin's Creed Origins (PC)

On deck/backlog:
Pokemon Moon (3DS) - Started, need to complete
Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - Replay
Bravely Default (3DS)
The Evil Within (PC)
Dishonored 2 (PC)
Enter the Gungeon (PC)
Inside (PC)
Grow Up (PC)
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC) - Replay
OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood (PC)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC)
The Wolf Among Us (PC)
Tales From the Borderlands (PC)
Dirt Rally (PC)
N++ (PC)
Tales of Symphonia (PC)
MadWorld (Wii)

Dyna

My main post.

2v3wZn7.png

04 | Klonoa: Door to Phantomile | PS1
~5 hours | Completed Jan. 20th

Finally got around to playing this, had it on my PSN account for over four years, ha. I thought it was a pretty charming platformer with cutesy characters and nice visuals, I liked how the levels were 2.5D. The plot got surprisingly emotional near the end which took me by surprise because I didn't really care for it at first. The gameplay was just about what I expected from a PS1 platformer in both good and bad. Precision requiring platforming is not too uncommon in this game and I was incredibly frustrated at times because of Klonoa's slippery feet (well, I'm not talking Medievil levels of slippery here, but slippery nonetheless) and the overall clunkiness of the jumping. Some levels really managed to taint the experience as a whole in my opinion, especially the last level felt like a real pain in the ass. Had I played this as a kid, I'm not sure if I would've been able to finish it. That being said, I still enjoyed the game for the most part thanks to its neat visuals and levels - oh yeah, and the cutscenes were really well made. I don't think I'll return to this game anytime soon but I wouldn't mind trying out the sequel on the PS2.

Flux

maxresdefault.jpg

Game 5

Jan 20
Beyond Good and Evil HD

Feels like a product of it's time. Going for the Zelda-killer, collectathon, stereotypical caricature style of the era. I encountered a few gamebreaking bugs where I would just be stuck in an elevator or not allowed to enter the next zone. Combat was pretty basic, mashing attack beats pretty much all enemies. I didn't get the story since it went from humble orphanage watcher to space alien invasion. The last boss battle took forever. No fight was a challenge in the game and the last guy is a damage sponge, not to mention some annoying gimmicks or mechanics to try to make the fight harder. I mostly played it to see why people want a sequel, but I think I must have missed that wave when it initially came out.

Aquova

Game 6: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

System: Game Boy Advance
Year: 2005
Developer: Capcom

Overview
With Breath of the Wild coming out soon, I figured it was about time I finished up those loose Zelda games I haven't gotten around to. Minish Cap is actually one of the first Zelda games I ever saw, but it took me until now to actually play it. You play as Link, who is tasked with seeking out the 4 elements in order to repair the Picori Sword, the only weapon that can defeat the evil Vaati and save Zelda.

Gameplay
The game is typical of a 2D Zelda, even featuring some of the weapons that are common in the 2D games but not the 3D ones, such as Roc's Cape. Slightly concerning though, is how little content it feels like this game has, even compared with Link's Awakening or the Oracle games, despite coming out years later on a superior system. There are only 6 temples, and the overworld feel more of a nuisance at times than something worth exploring. This game was clearly inspired by the success of both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, and takes mostly from those games than trying something original. The sound the boss makes, Link's appearance and many of the NPCs are taken verbatim from other Zelda games. However, the game does have several unique areas, especially the Wind Temple, and the game is intriguing enough to have a good time.

Rating

Above Average

A solid game for the GBA, although it feels at times that the game is held back by lack of innovation. There is an obvious attempt to add things that would add replayability, such as the Kinstone mechanic, but the rewards from finding the treasures aren't worth anything, especially when you mostly get rupees. I also spent the entire game finding mysterious shells, but I never found out what they were for. I assume it was to upgrade your weapons, as this is done in other games, but I never had any struggle without them.

Since I've been ranking the Final Fantasy games, I decided I would finally rank the Zelda games. This is a mix of my personal favorites, as well as overall quality, basically which ones I would recommend. These are also only the ones I've finished (sorry Zelda 1).

OoT > LttP > TP > MM > LBW > LA > WW > SS > MC > PH > FS

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Quick and dirty post for now:

1: Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero -dunno the hours lol
KS Backer

2:Shovel Knight

3:Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows
I'm counting both campaigns as separate because they're pretty big.

4: Vanquish

5: FFXV

6: Transformers Devastation

7: Tales Of Symphonia

8: Tales Of Symphonia 2

9: Shovel Knight: Specter Of Shadows

10: Mega Man 3

11: Kingdom Hearts 3D

12: Kingdom Hearts 0.2

13: Persona 5

14: Tales Of Graces f

15: Sonic Mania

16: Lollipop Chainsaw

17: Tales Of Xillia

w00tman

Holy account-ressurection Batman.

So, having basically given up on gaming due to work and kids, I now find myself with a desire to waste.. er I mean, relax with gaming again - yay!

So, PS4 pro purchased at the end of last year, currently working through the Nathan Drake collection, but in terms of 52 in '17 - these are as follows:

1) Stories: The Path of Destinies
An interesting take on the "repeat once more, same as before" genre where the fundamentals of the game stay the same, but you go through in a Groundhog Day-esqe style until you find the "correct" path.

Great graphics, an interesting narrator that I warmed to, having not initially cared for, limited-but-tight combat mechanics - all good. The story line is a little too clever/self referential for it's own good, and I have no desire to unlock 24 or whatever different endings - the 8 I got naturally are more than enough.

c.6 hours.

2) This War of Mine: The Little Ones
I thought I hate this, and the controls are awful but I warmed through enough to play through 3 scenarios. Difficult, sometimes needlessly so, frustrating and bland - but - there is something about what is being depicted that makes the act of killing (or stealing, for that matter) mean more than just about any game I can remember.

c.10 hours.

3) Smite
My first MMOBA - or whatever the bloody acronym is - since the original Defence of the Ancients from Warcraft 3. In game graphics are good, tons of characters, massively grind-ey unless you want to lay down lots of cash, and the wait times for games vary all over the show. Enjoyable, and I put 10 hours or so in to it, but I've had enough.

C. 10 hours

4) Uncharted 2
Playing through the Nathan Drake collection, and just literally finished this. Fabulous, although not perfect, and a big improvement in every single way from the first. Complaints? the last section of the game becomes disproportionately more difficult that the 80% that has come before (trying to avoid spoilers) and whilst the last boss was a huge, HUGE improvement than the first, it's still a pain in the ass and not as enjoyable as it thinks it is. Great game however, and still stands up well these days - locations are great, humour is great, etc. Well worth playing.

C.12 hours?

dapplefur

Neo Member
Completed Games:
1. Pokémon Sun [3ds] - 125 hr 39 min total; 1 hr 40 min in 2017
2. Boxboy! [3ds] - 13 hr 48 min total; 1 hr 7 min in 2017 (main game only. No bonus worlds.)
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [3ds] - 28 hr 16 min total; 3 hr 14 min in 2017
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All [3ds] - 27 hr 48 min total; 3 hr 13 min in 2017
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations [3ds] - 21 hr 24 min total; 12 hr 40 min in 2017

Currently playing:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth [ds]
Picross 3D Round 2 [3ds]

In the Queue:
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney [ds]
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies [3ds]
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice [3ds]
Professor Layton and the Curious Village [ds]
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [ds]
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [ds]
Professor Layton and the Last Specter [ds]
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask [3ds]
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy [3ds]
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [3ds]

Main post

#1 Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) - 13 hours - 22/01/2017
GHcoLP2.jpg

Played the first one last year and picked this one up during Steam sales. Expands on the first game by adding a loot system, hub world and a bunch of side missions. 8/10

plidex

Original Post

9. Battlefield 1 - January 22nd - ★★★★★

0PWhFwf.png

I haven't played an online FPS so much since Bad Company 2. Excellent game all around.

BC2 was my 1st platinum and this one was my 30th.

Game #4
Unravel - Completed January 21, 2017
unravel-feature-600x300.jpg

What an adorable little game this is. There are 10 levels and in each one you solve puzzles and platform your way across the map. There are some really pretty stunning environments that you navigate Yarny through. The game is fair but at the same time can be unforgiving. Thankfully checkpoints are plentiful, so you're not penalized for taking risks. There are five secret tokens hidden within the level, and they certainly add replay value to the game. The thing that surprised me most is that the game seems to take a pretty dark twist. I'm not going to spoil anything, and I'm not sure if I'm even interpreting the story correctly (considering there's no dialogue), but I'll just say that this isn't the feel-good game that it appears to be on the surface. Overall I'm really glad that I decided to play this. It's something I probably never would have gotten to if it wasn't for EA Access. Really good game, would recommend it to just about anyone who enjoys platforming or puzzles.

I love this thread!

Game 3 for me was Mega Man 2

Played this with a friend. I was surprised how easy this game was for a series notorious for difficulty. Last boss was wicked easy. Still tons of fun, music is baller.

Game 1 was Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Game 2 was Picross 3D

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Original Post

4. Tales from the Borderlands - 9/10, 12 hours

This is the first Borderlands game I've ever played, and I absolutely loved it. I really appreciate how you pretty much did not need any knowledge about the series to enjoy this game, it completely works as a standalone experience. The entire cast is amazing and everything comes together so well in this incredibly fun story. I loved this game so much that it makes me want to try out the other Borderlands games... unfortunately, I've seen some examples of the writing in those and I'm fully aware that none of them are anywhere close to the superb writing in Tales. Maybe the gameplay is fun enough to sit through the annoying attempts at creating memes?

5. Dishonored 2 - 8.5/10, 12 hours

It's on-par with Dishonored and the Daud DLC, so that's all I needed. The level design especially stands out, and the new powers provide many interesting ways to approach levels and scenarios. I only ended up finishing this game in 2017 because when I started it in early December, I kept finding myself trying to play as a perfectionist. I had around 6 hours of playtime by the end of the 4th mission because of all of that restarting and savescumming... I took a break until this week and picked it back up with the goal of just rolling with things and playing on the fly, and that was a refreshing change of pace. Like Dishonored and Daud DLC, I'll be returning to this one.

6. Clustertruck - 9/10, 15 hours

As I said in the GOTY thread, this is the greatest stupid idea I've ever played. Each level is wildly entertaining and gives a fun challenge that you just don't forget. Just be warned, you'll never stop hearing trucks honking if you play this. That noise will resonate in your ears forever, and every time you see a truck out on the road you'll imagine doing stupid parkour on it.

Dryk

Oh no! That's not good. Though I heard that Picross has some quality of life improvements like counting the number of blocks in a section for you when you tap/drag; that would at least make it easier to play. Interesting that the content is apparently worse, though, I wonder why that is.
The Picross e games are lower value when it comes to $/puzzle, they only go up to 15x15 (with 25 20x15 puzzles in e7) and I found myself caring about the final result less. Paint it Back has so many bizarre and interesting paintings that it got me engaged again.

You are right in that the automatic greying out of completed sections is a little smarter on the 3DS though. Ultimately the 3DS games have the superior UI (having buttons and a stylus really helps).

Dryk

Main Post - Part 1

#4: Spear of Destiny: 11 hours
In 2015 I played Wolfenstein 3D for the first time, and found it to be alright. The feeling of fragility can be very frustrating, and the controls aren't very good. Spear of Destiny changes nothing about the base Wolf 3D experience, but it's a competent new set of levels so if that's what you're looking for you can find it here. The Steam version also comes with two extra episodes that were developed by another developer, I played through about 10 levels of the first one and it's trash. Confusing and random levels that seem to have been made to prove that they could, I couldn't be bothered finishing them.

#5: Mighty Switch Force! Host it Down!: 1.3 hours
While I was playing the PC port this is a mobile spinoff game at heart. It takes the mechanic of using pipes to redirect streams of water from Mighty Switch Force 2 and expands it into a full game. But instead of using the series' titular switching you drag the blocks around like a tile puzzle. Put all the fires out and rescue all the girls to finish the level, just don't expect to meet the par time. It's simple, cheap and a nice distraction.

Currently playing: I'm about halfway through Harmoknight

Main post

#2 Manual Samuel (PC) - 1,5 hours - 22/01/2017
w4OCBZL.jpg

The main character Sam dies and goes to hell where he makes a deal with death to survive for 24 hours while doing everything manually. This includes breathing,blinking and moving your legs individually. 8/10

OP

4. Super Mario 3D World(PC) - 11 Hours - ★★★★☆ 1/22/17
This is what I would have imagined a 3D Mario being before I played Super Mario 64. Really inventive game that is stuffed full of imaginative level design concepts. I got all of the green stars (I think) through World: Bowser for a total of 242. I might go back and try the extra worlds later, but for now I'm a little burned out.

5. LIMBO (PC) - 3.3 Hours - ★★★★☆ 1/22/17
Nice little game! Reminds me of a less pretentious Braid. I only had to look up one puzzle. Figured out the rest pretty fast.

Tizoc

header.jpg

I did not enjoy this as much as Telltale's other titles I am sad to say. Surprisingly enough, the first 4 episodes comprise one single story, with Ep. 5-8 being another story.
I personally had my fill by Ep. 4 and stopped it there.

-MD-

Highly doubt I finish 52 games this year, I won't even be shooting for it but this'll be a good place to keep track of everything.

1. Inside (PC)
header.jpg

2. Assault Android Cactus (PC)
header.jpg

3. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
DJ7jlu4.png

4. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (PC)
header.jpg

5. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
header.jpg

6. Resident Evil 7 (PC)
header.jpg

7. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
UbC1E0W.png

8. Yooka-Laylee (PC)
header.jpg

9. SUPERHOT (PC)
header.jpg

10. Vanquish (PC)
header.jpg

11. Momordora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
header.jpg

12. Furi (PC)
header.jpg

13. Castle of Illusion (PC)
header.jpg

14. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PC)
header.jpg

15. A Robot Named Fight (PC)
header.jpg

16. The Evil Within 2 (PC)
header.jpg

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

ZIdmlQQ.jpg

Xbox One

Played this as part of The Master Chief Collection. This is the first time I've ever played the first Halo, and I've got to be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The Chief is a bit of a lifeless character, the story is a bit drab and all of the enemies are bullet sponges. Maybe I'm missing the finesse of the game or maybe this is one for nostalgia which I'm not really on board with. Either way...
6/10

febLey

OP

#07 | Gravity Rush: Remastered (PS4), 22. January, ~12 hours
I'm a sucker for open world games with super powers, so I really liked this game. I even went for Platinum and 100% in the DLCs. I'll get the second game as soon as I can afford it. My only complain: The controls were sometimes a bit annoying.
– 9/10

v1ncelis

Game #3 completed - Fallout 4 Far Harbor

Contrary to GAF, Fallout 4 was one of my 2015 favorites so after amazing PSN sale I grabbed all F4 dlc cheap. Not sure how much time it took to complete main quests (c'mon Sony please add system similar to what Xbox or at least Wii U have) it seems well worth a money.
Now on to Nuka-Cola!

Original Post

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
header.jpg

Game #18 - Final Fantasy XIII
Time: 52 hours

My second playthrough since I had played it on ps3 on release, I liked it then and I like it now... but im not even sure why. I wouldnt exctly defend it against people that hate it, I probably like it for weird reasons. Still, the mmo-style trinity battle system is great once you wrap your head around it, the story is incoherrent anime (bad anime at that) nonsense, but at the same time it has heart, the characters are good (imo), its still gorgeous and the music is fantastic. Like I said, Im not sure why I like it, but I do, quite a bit in fact. Super excited to strt 13-2 which Ive never played.

Main Post

DontBlink

Original post

gVySzC8.jpg

1. BoxBoy! (3DS) - 7:58

Clever little puzzler. Going into it, I didn't really expect to find so much depth in terms of the amount of puzzles and the different shape possibilities. Playing as a actual box, you get to extend yourself a certain amount of "boxes", creating various forms of stairs, bridges or even hooks. There is something really satisfying about pulling yourself to the end of your shape, snake-like. The levels get progressively more difficult and introduce new concepts at a steady pace, making sure there is always something to keep you scratching your head. The game is pretty generous with hints, which can be bought using the 3DS' Play Coins, but there is still enough challenge to keep you occupied. Definitely looking forward to trying out the sequel sometime later this year.

B80crpx.jpg

2. Ryse: Son of Rome (PC) - 6:18

As a big fan of the Roman settings, I've been meaning to try this game out for a while. Heard a lot of different opinions and I must say, almost all of them are right on point. The game looks amazing, even on my old 970. Didn't have as much luck with keeping a steady 60 FPS, but I decided to go with the occasional drops versus losing some of the clarity. Gameplay-wise, all high intensity action, with brutal kills and body parts flying around, that's unfortunately dragged down by linearity and repetitive fighting against the same five types of enemies. There's no much strategy involved, besides pressing the block button at the right time, but as long as you come in with the right expectations, it's a fun and pretty slasher.

PvntXXf.jpg

3. Disney Infinity (Wii U) - 15:57

Since the initial release, I have spent more time collecting the figures than actually playing the game. Finally started it up last September, but came away unimpressed. Maybe it's the Wii U port, but the game felt sloppy, with constant frame drops, difficult controls, and not much excitement within the levels. Going through the starter pack, I found Pirates of the Caribbean to be the most entertaining world. There's the usual sword and gun fighting, collecting a bunch of items, and even ship battles. Close second is the Incredibles play set, with cool gadgets to use and a more brawler-like approach to combat. Too bad the city is fairly small and I quickly became tired of fighting the same robots over and over. Monsters Inc. was pretty disappointing, with its focus on stealth and pulling pranks. In the end, it started to feel like a drag trying to complete all of the missions. As an overall package, it's not a bad game, but not something I see myself going back to. Hoping to see some improvements and overall polish from the future games, but first I still plan to finish the rest of the version 1.0 play sets.

rjEoYn6.jpg

4. Limbo (PC) - 2:48

Heard so much positive about this game that I finally decided to try it out. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't that impressed. It's a solid game, with some clever puzzles and a great atmosphere. Besides one particular annoying moment (
roof slide
), I found myself moving along at a solid pace, never really feeling stuck or overwhelmed. Story did feel like an afterthought though, never really explaining the who, what, and why. I did enjoy playing it, but couldn't shake the feeling there's just something missing. Will try Inside eventually, should be an interesting play based on the divisive opinions it received.

CILvRqf.jpg

5. Until Dawn (PS4)

This game, man. Let me start of by saying my weak heart can't take much of horror or any scares. Never been a fan of feeling scared, and just don't enjoy it. But after playing this, it's like my perception has changed. At first, I wasn't really feeling it. It wasn't until I got back into it, around the third of the way, where the story just grabbed me and didn't let go until the very end. I did have other people watching around, but the jump scares just didn't bother me anymore. I wanted to keep going, couldn't wait to find out what happens to each character. Speaking of, the performances were great, really giving meaning to each person in the group. In the end, I only managed to
keep two of them alive
but don't regret any of my decisions, since they led to some interesting events. Only negative I can think of is the unsatisfactory ending. Kinda wish there was more to the story, and
the credit interviews
felt weak compared to the high quality of the rest of the game.

plidex

5. Until Dawn (PS4)

This game, man. Let me start of by saying my weak heart can't take much of horror or any scares. Never been a pan of feeling scared, and just don't enjoy it. But after playing this, it's like my perception has changed. At first, I wasn't really feeling it. It wasn't until I got back into it, around the third of the way, where the story just grabbed me and didn't let go until the very end. I did have other people watching around, but the jump scares just didn't bother me anymore. I wanted to keep going, couldn't wait to find out what happens to each character. Speaking of, the performances were great, really giving meaning to each person in the group. In the end, I only managed to
keep two of them alive
but don't regret any of my decisions, since they led to some interesting events. Only negative I can think of is the unsatisfactory ending. Kinda wish there was more to the story, and
the credit interviews
felt weak compared to the high quality of the rest of the game.

I never play horror games or watch horror movies. I don't get why people like being scared. But I loved this game, the teen B movie style was awesome, and the horror stuff was pretty tame, more suspense than horror.

And it's a game where choices really matter.

Damn, you guys are going to make me get Until Dawn, aren't you? Your dislike of being scared is pretty much exactly how I feel about the genre. Is the VR game the same as the original? That'd be the only thing that stops me from getting it - wanting to play it in VR some time down the road.

plidex

Damn, you guys are going to make me get Until Dawn, aren't you? Your dislike of being scared is pretty much exactly how I feel about the genre. Is the VR game the same as the original? That'd be the only thing that stops me from getting it - wanting to play it in VR some time down the road.

Nope, the VR game is completely different. It's an on-rails shooter.

EDIT: Until Dawn was on sale for $10 on Halloween and $8 on Christmas, wait for it to go on sale and buy it, you won't regret it at those prices. I bought it for $60 on release.

DrArchon

OP

GAME #5 - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - 3 Hours - 9/10 - 1/22/17

I had this one in my Steam library for a while now, but I never got around to trying it out. After seeing the Best Friends quick look of this on Youtube, I finally decided to dive in.

This game is phenomenal! It's a Metroidvania game that borrows heavily from the Souls games, with elements such as limited healing items that get restocked at checkpoints, high damage from enemies, understated background music for most of the game, and a generally high level of difficulty, though I didn't have too much problem playing on normal (I know there's a hard mode and a 1 hit kill insane mode, but I'm never touching that one!) You can fight enemies both at range with bow and arrow or up close with a leaf that acts like a sword. The sword-leaf does more damage, but there's a lot of benefit to keeping your distance with how hard enemies hit, so towards the end I found myself favoring the bow. The combat really gets engaging with the boss fights, were you're locked in a very small space and can't rely on cheesing them out at range.

The sprite work is really great, though outside of some of the backgrounds it's never that detailed. A lot of it is oddly cute, with lots of chibi characters with no facial features except for their big eyes. It's still pretty dark a lot of the time, especially with some of the bosses. The sound design is also great. There's not a lot of memorable tunes except for the boss battles, but the game makes sure to let you know when pesky ranged enemies are preparing to attack with good sound cues.

The only complaints I have about the game are A) it's a tad short (yes there's a new game + mode and no I didn't discover 100% of everything in the game, but I uncovered over 95% of the map in my 3 hours of playing), B) when you respawn at a bell (this game's version of a bonfire) you lose all of the progress you made since you rang bell, which not even the Souls games will punish you with, and C) you can't skip intro cutscenes and dialog for bosses, which gets really annoying when you keep having to try fighting them again and again after dying.

Still, this is a standout game in a very crowded genre. I encourage every fan of Metroidvanias to pick this up ASAP.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
OP, 2nd post on page 2

Please see my OP for full tally and review scoring info (2nd post on page 2).

2 out of 52.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War: completed Wednesday, Jan. 18th. Full video review coming VMR - Five Minute Reviews soon!
Time spent: 9hrs, 100% completion including achievements.

Valiant_Hearts_art.png

Thoughts: full video review coming VMR - Five Minute Reviews soon!
Tears. Wow. What an amazing emotional experience. The game tells a very human and beautiful story while also focusing on the horrors of War (specifically... World War 1).

Honestly... Valiant Hearts was the most intense game I have ever played. It was more intense then Battlefield 1. It respected what took place during the great war. Even though it is a side scrolling game with cartoon like art style it is quite frequently horrific. The story, setting, and experience are far from cartoon like. With that said Valiant Hearts is a game everyone has to experience (I would not recommend this game to kids younger than 13).

I would not call Valiant Hearts a fun game (it does have its moments of fun though). The gameplay is very simplistic, and the level designs are basic. The gameplay and levels are pretty much there to push you through one horrific experience after the next. This is not supposed to be a "fun" game, as war is not supposed to be "fun." I think the devs designed it this way on purpose.

The value comes through experiencing the well written story... and never forgetting those who lost their lives during the Great War.

- Negatives:
  • Very simplistic gameplay
  • Basic level design
+ Positives:
  • Amazing, emotional story
  • Superb artwork and visuals
  • Unforgettable experience
  • Easy Achievments/Trophies

Fun: ★★★☆☆
Value: ★★★★★

StoveOven

Banned
Full List

1. Titanfall 2 (PS4) - dev. Respawn Entertainment (2016)

2. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) - dev. SIE Japan Studio, Bluepoint Games (2016)

3. Overwatch (PS4) - dev. Blizzard Entertainment (2016)

4. Gravity Rush 2 (PS4) - dev. SIE Japan Studio (2017)

5. Metal Gear Solid (PS3) - dev. Konami CE Japan (1998)

6. Axiom Verge (Vita) - dev. Thomas Happ Games (2015)

7. Dante's Inferno (PS3) - dev. Visceral Games (2010)

8. MLB 17 The Show (PS4) - dev. SIE San Diego Studio (2017)

9. Night in the Woods (PS4) - dev. Infinite Fall (2017)

10. Trials Fusion (PS4) - dev. Red Lynx (2014)

11. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PS4/Vita) - dev. Yacht Club Games (2017)

12. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (PS4/Vita) - dev. Yacht Club Games (2015)

13. Steamworld Dig (Vita) - dev. Image & Form Games (2013)

14. MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (PS3) - dev. Evolution Studio (2008)

15. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Vita) - dev. Yacht Club Games (2014)

16. Nex Machina (PS4) - dev. Houesmarque (2017)

17. Civilization VI (PC) - dev. Firaxis (2016)

18. What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) - dev. Giant Sparrow (2017)

19. Depression Quest (PC) - dev. Zoe Quinn, Patrick Lindsey, Isaac Schankler (2013)

20. Pyre (PS4) - dev. Supergiant Games (2017)

Main Post

Game #6
MDK (PC)
Mdk1cover.jpg

What a strange game this was. Took some fiddling to get it to run the way I wanted, but after that it was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed the absurdest humor and the run and gun action. It took me a while to make it through it, not because it's long, but because for some reason I thought it would be fun to record my whole play through. Don't think I'm going to do that again, wasn't worth the effort. The game itself is pretty short, you could beat it in an afternoon pretty easily.

Also what the crap was that ending? o_O

I think my next game will end up being Persona 4: Dancing all Night. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the story mode.

KraytarJ

1. Final Fantasy XV (January 1, 5/10)
2. Steins;Gate (January 12, 9/10)
3. Shantae: Half Genie Hero (January 17, 7/10)
4. Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham Asylum (January 21, 6/10)
5. The Last of Us: Left Behind (January 22, 8/10)

Theswweet

#4 The Talos Principle - 1/22/17

I picked this up during the last steam sale, and after NieR and Donkey Kong I really wanted a more relaxed puzzle game. I really liked it, though I'd definitely say that the game really does start to drag near the end. Still got my money's worth!

Tambini

ExfveQ6.png

#13 Dead Rising ★★★.5 Xbox 360 - Jan 23rd - 20 hours
Dead Rising took a while to get into, it has a really high learning curve when you first start but once you figure it out it's not too bad. The survivor AI seriously sucks and makes it a pain in the arse rescuing more than 1 person at a time. My first playthrough I focused on getting as many survivors as I could, then my 2nd I beat all the cases and overtime mode. It's an ambitious game for the time and I liked it but I don't wanna see another zombie for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom