• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

The court won't be any different unless another justice dies.

I mean we're hoping a Justice doesn't kick the bucket for the next 4 years at least. A couple of them are far from young. Ginsburg is the most alarming at what is she now? 83?

Everyone send your powers to Ginsburg.

Ben Carson was getting confirmed no matter what.

But Gillibrand will be able to run on "I was the only one to vote no on every single person Trump nominated for every position" I guess.

Kusagari

You gotta pick your battles, Trump will just nominate an even crazier person. This is where we are, it's sad but true.

What battles? None of his picks are getting turned down. There's zero reason for Dems to vote for them. Don't make it look like these assholes have bipartisan support.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
What battles? None of his picks are getting turned down. There's zero reason for Dems to vote for them. Don't make it look like these assholes have bipartisan support.

They going after Sessions, Devos and Tillerson.

If they try to block all they will look like they are just blocking for blocking sakes. Trump will run all over them like he has so far in the media.

We are fucked, so might as well go for the picks that can do the most damage to the country

Edited :/

Gillibrand would be interesting. Outside of being a white woman, her ties to Wall Street as a NY Senator would probably still piss off the Sanders supporters but apart from that I don't think she has any of Clinton's bigger weaknesses.

Doc Holliday

Gillibrand would be interesting. Outside of being a white woman, her ties to Wall Street as a NY Senator would probably still piss off the Sanders supporters but apart from that I don't think she has any of Clinton's bigger weaknesses.

I just hope that if a non-Bernie wing wins next primary, that we don't blame the DNC or some other bullshit excuse. DNC needs to be as impartial as possible just to keep the party unified.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Badlands Nat'l Park Verified account
‏@BadlandsNPS

Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate

Love this. Getting it in before the inevitable gag order.

I have nothing meaningful to say right now, I just wish Michelle had more political ambition because nothing would satisfy me more than Trump getting one-termed by a black woman with the last name Obama. I would be overjoyed watching his Twitter meltdown.

She would have a great story too. Unlike Hillary, people would actually believe that Michelle didn't initially intend on running for president. She could craft a pitch-perfect "doing this for my country, not myself" kind of narrative.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bill Kristol Verified account
‏@BillKristol

I'm told a favorite of @realDonaldTrump, @danielhalper, who got first question yesterday, was not let in to WH today. What's up? @PressSec

So they're also blocking whichever reporters they wish. By the end of this year it will be CBN, Fox News, and Breitbart alone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ben Carson was getting confirmed no matter what.

But Gillibrand will be able to run on "I was the only one to vote no on every single person Trump nominated for every position" I guess.

Even if she doesn't run, I am so happy with my vote for her. As of right now I have 0 regrets.

I've heard her described as Hillary 2.0 a couple of times.

I remain convinced that had you plopped her into the Clinton campaign as the candidate, literally changing nothing else, she'd have won if only because she didn't have the baggage.

What I'm saying is, if she plays her cards right and assembles the right team, she could be formidable when the time comes.

Plinko

I predict the White House is going to drive CNN into the liberal media bastion that the right always pretended it was for years, and it's going to be glorious.

Seriously--this is THE chance right now for democrats to get their media in order. Trump et al., are going to continue to push away real journalists. Fake news and Fox News will be on the right always, but enough Americans are going to be sick of this presidency that they'll turn to whomever is providing opposing views. We could see a radical shift in media over the next four years.

Plinko

He can try I suppose but like hell that wouldn't get leaked hahaha

Considering journalists on Twitter are already trumpeting the fact that they'll protect the anonymity of any government leaker, my guess is we'll see plenty.

Doc Holliday

I hope the last few days kills the theory that Ivanka somehow has any influence on her Dad's decision making. Wasn't she supposed to be a climate change her pet cause?

That thread in the OT about Justice Democrats is pissing me off so fucking much.

I wish I were a mod so I could ban any political discussion from people who have never done ANY campaign work.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That thread in the OT about Justice Democrats is pissing me off so fucking much.

I wish I were a mod so I could ban any political discussion from people who have never done ANY campaign work.

I think that would remove less people than you think, and the people it removed might not always be the ones you want.

Crocodile

Elizabeth Warren and Sherrod Brown voted for Ben Carson? WTF?!

He said LGBT people don't deserve 'extra rights' and she praised his "willingness to enforce equal access rules for LGBT Americans". am i reading this right?

Is there a source for this? Sounds like I need to make an angry phone call

I saw the thread but I didn't get a chance to go in. Is it just "Let's relitigate the primary thread #3524623463"?

I think that would remove less people than you think, and the people it removed might not always be the ones you want.

No it would remove the people that need to be removed because some of the posters in that thread are showing how little they fucking know about US politics.

Pretty much.

Only this time it's about Cenk Uyger LITERALLY trying to relitigate the primaries by undermining Democratic unity.

And then a bunch of dumbasses saying they like the plan because apparently the only two options are Rahm Emanuel types or "TRUE PROGRESSIVES ONLY (except Tulsi Gabbard because fuck respecting minorities)"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Literally all Democratic politics is going to be relitigate the primary. We have absolutely no power to enact any policies, so either we discuss our plans for attaining that power (a.k.a. talk about primaries) or just bitch aimlessly on the Internet about Trump with no real effect (a.k.a. this thread).

UberTag

I have a feeling this administration is the reason the media in the U.S. finally gets back on the right track.
I rather enjoyed the fight we saw from them in today's press briefing.

That said, I know Bannon and company hated it and more of their voices will be muzzled going forward.
He's making a naughty list like Santa Claus.

And they'll have more mouths to feed once their "entirely right-wing" Skype newsletter bloggers have their seat at the table with even more prepared questions about how awesome Donald Trump is.

The real work from this media is going to need to be done through old-school journalism - probably spearheaded by the Washington Post.

Republican voters would turn against Trump given his petty attitude and would be happy to vote for someone like Pence.
Republican voters will support whomever Breitbart and LifeZette tell them to support. If the establishment wants to cut Donny loose, they'll use their information conduits to poison him - probably by echoing the truth that the rest of can already plainly see that he's unfit to lead - and they'll instantly agree and decide that it's better to move forward with Pence because he largely brings the same policies and that the "swamp has been drained" as Trump's hand-picked cabinet will remain in place.

These people are easily swayed. But they'll keep Trump in place for now because he has use as a distraction for both us and reporters while they carpet bomb their policy initiatives in the background while we're distracted by Trump's ego and the lies being told to placate it.

The dems game on the nominations is to let ones they not need to have a fight on and aren't going to stand in blatant opposition to everything. At least not yet. REMEMBER THEY CAN'T BLOCK ANY

They'll go after the ones that matter. Pruitt, DeVos, Sessions, Tillerson

Because when they do stupid things it will be obvious and they'll campaign on it and how they didn't vote for it.

Ben Carson's gonna be a fun punching bag at herrings

Also, don't be pissed when Manchin votes for Pruitt

Literally all Democratic politics is going to be relitigate the primary. We have absolutely no power to enact any policies, so either we discuss our plans for attaining that power (a.k.a. talk about primaries) or just bitch aimlessly on the Internet about Trump with no real effect (a.k.a. this thread).

No, that's what you want to do.

There's no need to re-litigate the primary. We can talk about future elections, lawsuits, primaries in the future. But we don't need to talk about about "bernie would have won"

Mike M

Nick N
Safe to assume all federal agencies will be under gag orders soon, if not already : /

Here's to hoping for unprecedented leaks, but I'm not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's what you want to do.

There's no need to re-litigate the primary. We can talk about future elections, lawsuits, primaries in the future. But we don't need to talk about about "bernie would have won"

If your definition of relitigating the primaries is just Sanders vs. Clinton wars, then that thread is not relitigating the primaries. There's quite a lot of discussion on how to shape policy and contest future primaries, and relatively little talk of how Sanders would have won.

But to an extent, discussing how to win future elections necessarily involves understanding why we lost previous ones. That obviously requires a dissection of Clinton's failings. You can't really avoid that. It's not going to be all of the discussion, but rather is a part of it.

No, it becomes relititgating the primaries when far-left jackasses start focusing on attacking Democrats more than actually opposing Trump.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No, it becomes relititgating the primaries when far-left jackasses start focusing on attacking Democrats more than actually opposing Trump.

That's a strange definition of relitigating the primary. Not to mention that the best way to oppose Trump is to probably actually oppose him, and not do things like making repealing Obamacare even more painful by preventing cheaper medicines.

mo60

I can't believe trump's administration is copying something from harper's former administration in Canada even thought what trump's administration is doing is worse.

That's a strange definition of relitigating the primary. Not to mention that the best way to oppose Trump is to probably actually oppose him, and not do things like making repealing Obamacare even more painful by preventing cheaper medicines.

Says the scumbag who claims that there is no difference between economic and social issues......

People like you are why I refer to the far-left as "so-called" progressives instead of just "progressives".

You don't give a shit about actually defeating far right fascism. You just want this recent red rural wave election as an excuse to hijack the Democratic Party.

UberTag

I can't believe trump's administration is copying something from harper's administration in Canada even thought what trump' administration is doing is worse.
Things worked out great for Harper. He remained Prime Minister for 9 1/2 years and won three elections in 2006, 2008 and 2011.
Seems like a recipe for success. Why wouldn't the Republicans want to emulate that?

This is a rhetorical question. I know full well how much damage Harper did.

mo60

Things worked out great for Harper. He remained Prime Minister for 9 1/2 years and won three elections in 2006, 2008 and 2011.
Seems like a recipe for success. Why wouldn't the Republicans want to emulate that?

This is a rhetorical question. I know full well how much damage Harper did.

Trump's going to be a worse version of harper. Harper only put a gag order on scientists. Trump's doing it to governmental agencies. I don't think trump will ever stay in office as long as harper did because trump is never going to try to appeal to minority voters.

omg

(Melissa Byrne = worked for the Bernie campaign as his GOTV director)

@mcbyrne
Overall @brianschatz is a badass. Primarying based on one vote is problematic and naive.
@jvgraz
Next time someone asks "Why @justicedems?", show them this list

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/23...trump-cia-pick-who-left-door-open-to-torture/

@ZaidJilani
@mcbyrne @brianschatz every election should have the candidates available always, no one gets a coronation or noncompetitive race
@mcbyrne
@ZaidJilani @brianschatz I love primaries. But the silly women-excluded Justice Democrats are stupid. Why not start with a convo with Brian?

‏@ZaidJilani
@mcbyrne @brianschatz im sorry there arent enough of us to trip your white guilt or whatever but its really bad

‏@mcbyrne
@ZaidJilani I think the Dems should block all the appointments and I think rich people shouldn't start vanity projects.

@ZaidJilani
@mcbyrne vanity projects, i see how low muslims are on the totem pole for you but not surprised

‏@mcbyrne
@ZaidJilani I'm talking about Justice Dem that lauched with zero women and zero real plan just to capture a media wave.

@ZaidJilani
@mcbyrne maybe they should add michelle bachmann and omarosa then decide to apologize for pro torture people like u

‏@mcbyrne
@ZaidJilani nope. And you know I'm not pro-torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom