• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disneyland prohibits worker from wearing hajib to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneHeero

Dude Abides said:
She has federal law to stand on. That rule trumps Disney's dress code. Disney knew this going in.
Disney was sued before and settled. All businesses settle, no one needs further bad publicity. No one wants to go to court for this, and people who sue big companies usually know they are going to get a settlement. I wonder why she'd need any money just due to not being able to wear a hijab. Maybe she'll just sue for the right to change the dress code :lol yea like thats what it really is about lol.

No, they are not. I don't even agree with them, and I am Muslim myself
Change it or get sued. Pretty simple.

lol, now it comes together. Accept my religion belifes regardless of rules/etc or get sued and pay me money.

EDIT: To clarify, I in no ways think muslims think like this. Although every religion, race, whatever has people like that.

Perfectly OK with this. They have an established dress code as do many businesses.

But it's fun to get press over fame intolerance to water down the real intolerance people face every day.

nib95

Banned
oneHeero said:
Disney was sued before and settled. All businesses settle, no one needs further bad publicity. No one wants to go to court for this, and people who sue big companies usually know they are going to get a settlement. I wonder why she'd need any money just due to not being able to wear a hijab. Maybe she'll just sue for the right to change the dress code :lol yea like thats what it really is about lol.

lol, now it comes together. Accept my religion belifes regardless of rules/etc or get sued and pay me money.

EDIT: To clarify, I in no ways think muslims think like this. Although every religion, race, whatever has people like that.

No it's more like, stop discriminating on Muslim women. The point is not to get money, who actually gives a shit about that here. Even she said herself, just let me work with my hijab, I'm fine with that (especially because it's the month of Ramdan, a holy month). The point is to create change, so that other Muslim women down the line don't have to face the same discrimination against such intolerant and archaic dress code rules.

oneHeero

nib95 said:
Can't believe the Disney spokeswomen compared her wearing the hijab to someone wearing their favourite teams baseball cap. What an insulting joke...
What's ridiculous is that you make this a religion matter. Disney is looking passed that and making this about their rules and its clearly stated by the spokeswomen. Disney isnt saying no hijab because they dont like islam, they are staying true to thier rules that have been in placed for how long now?

And after 2 yrs of not wearing a hijab and knowing what the dress code rules were, now she wants to wear it(obviously a reason). She can find a business more willing or she can choose to work in the back, wear the disney hijab, or simply continue not wearing one to work like she hasnt been for the last 2 yrs.

Is islam religion like a switch? Do you have to participate in a certain type of event before you are 'required' to wear a hijab?

No it's more like, stop discriminating on Muslim women. The point is not to get money, who actually gives a shit about that here. The point is to create change, so that other Muslim women down the line don't have to face the same discrimination against such intolerant and archaic dress code rules.

Yea, we'll see what happens if this goes to court or settles outside, lets see how much money she is going to get. Let's see if she sues for no money but simply change.

Alucrid

Banned
nib95 said:
No it's more like, stop discriminating on Muslim women. The point is not to get money, who actually gives a shit about that here. Even she said herself, just let me work with my hijab, I'm fine with that (especially because it's the month of Ramdan, a holy month). The point is to create change, so that other Muslim women down the line don't have to face the same discrimination against such intolerant and archaic dress code rules.

I find that line particularly amusing.

Einbroch

Banned
Uh...dress code? Unless they're allowing baseball caps, beanies, and other religious headdresses I fail to see the issue. They don't see it as a religious item, they see it as a hat, which is what many guests would see it as too.

I know if I wore a hat to work my boss would tell me to remove it like that.

nib95 said:
I'm with you. I'm a gangsta rapper, and I want my employer to change the dress code so I can wear saggy pants that go under my knees. But he doesn't want to and says I should wear pants that come up to my waist. WTF! He's discriminating against gangsta rappers.

DarkKyo

I can't believe they are even trying to work with her in this situation and she is still being profoundly difficult. "Yay I'm famous now!"
Einbroch said:
Uh...dress code? Unless they're allowing baseball caps, beanies, and other religious headdresses I fail to see the issue. They don't see it as a religious item, they see it as a hat, which is what many guests would see it as too.

I know if I wore a hat to work my boss would tell me to remove it like that.
Pretty much how I see it too. It's not discrimination- it has nothing to do with that.

nib95

Banned
oneHeero said:
What's ridiculous is that you make this a religion matter. Disney is looking passed that and making this about their rules and its clearly stated by the spokeswomen. Disney isnt saying no hijab because they dont like islam, they are staying true to thier rules that have been in placed for how long now?

And after 2 yrs of not wearing a hijab and knowing what the dress code rules were, now she wants to wear it(obviously a reason). She can find a business more willing or she can choose to work in the back, wear the disney hijab, or simply continue not wearing one to work like she hasnt been for the last 2 yrs.

Is islam religion like a switch? Do you have to participate in a certain type of event before you are 'required' to wear a hijab?

Yes, that is exactly what happens. I know countless girls who have been in a similar position. It's sometimes difficult to don the hijab (despite knowing you should) due to the whole cultural assimilation thing. Girls want to look pretty, sexy and all the rest. Do their hair up nice. Sometimes it's just difficult to find that bridge towards getting the courage and religious strength to finally take up the life changing task to wear the hijab.

It's not un-common for women, at least in this country, to start wearing it post University or a few years after marriage etc where looking especially good and all that jazz don't quite matter to them as much as their religious beliefs.

Point is, wear the hijab when you are ready to, not because you are forced to. Even if that means wearing one later on in life or at a later stage (like the girl in the OP).

Souldriver said:
I'm with you. I'm a gangsta rapper, and I want my employer to change the dress code so I can wear saggy pants that go under my knees. But he doesn't want to and says I should wear pants that come up to my waist. WTF! He's discriminating against gangsta rappers.

A hijab is not a fashion choice...

oneHeero said:

There is this unfortunate tendency to believe that an action cannot be bigoted if its motives are not bigoted. This is not the case.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Just slap two mickey mouse ears on it? Many companies (including mcdonalds I remember) have these sorta stuff worked out fine

ymmv

Banned
nib95 said:

So the hijab is a symbol of emancipation, enlightenment and progress?? :lol :lol :lol

nib95

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Sounds like they were making her one, but she did not want to wait for it to be done

Well considering it's the holy month of Ramadan, I can see why she may not have wanted to wait, especially when no specific date was given, and she hadn't even been offered a response at all till 2 months after asking. I'm interested to see what the Disneyfied version of the hijab is though. Could be quite funky I'd imagine! :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
harSon said:
Well, women are allowed to wear earings and the taboo of men wearing them died off decades ago. Like I said, I can only think of one reason, perception wise, for why Disney would disallow their male employees from wearing earings.
No long hair, or earrings. Sons of bitches! My work lets me wear all the Girly jewelry I want, and do my hair anyway I see fit. Though, a girl has me beat with changing her hair color every week.

Anyways, I don't mind dress codes. As long as it is fair. If they said no headpieces. Fine. As long as it is equal. I think the employee does have the right to enforce it and shouldn't have to play second fiddle to religion.

But this is also Disney. Basically, they only want white, suburbia, America image.

Einbroch

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Sounds like they were making her one, but she did not want to wait for it to be done
She could probably sell it for major buckos on eBay. People eat Disney shit up, especially one-of-a-kind items.

nib95 said:
Gangsta is a way of life man! It's like, my religion and shit!

Real answer: wearing saggy pants is just as much a choice as wearing a hijab. It boils down to you wanting religion to have a *special untouchable status* that exempts it from every rule or law (here dress code) if they conflict with each other.

To be calling it "discrimination against religion" is hilariously ironic, as it is basically the other way around. But I doubt you're willing to see that.

Plus IMO nonsense (religion) should never interfere with business. Do anything you want outside of work, but leave it there. That goes for any religion.

Like a manager told me long ago, keep your personal shit personal.

People have their opinions, and it's fair to say a good amount is based on people's thoughts on religion as an ideology in general - it is something many here on GAF detest, so it's understandable why this story to them is a "non-issue, fire her". And to be fair, others who have a more positive opinion on religion are therefore inclined to defend or at least highlight her difficulties.

This is a cold, harsh reason to sack someone. I can sympathise with her because she obviously doesn't want to leave the place she works. Disney most likely see this different, as a challenge to their dress code and perhaps feel if they allow her to work there, then others will use a similar defence to justify wearing all kinds of things on "religious grounds".

All in all, I hope decency prevails.

DarkKyo

krypt0nian said:
Plus IMO nonsense (religion) should never interfere with business. Do anything you want outside of work, but leave it there. That goes for any religion.

Like a manager told me long ago, keep your personal shit personal.
Especially in America at one of the most godless places on earth.

ymmv

Banned
nib95 said:

It still is a personal choice. You like to make it seem it's obligatory for muslim women, but it's not. It's just the fundamentalist interpretation of certain hadith statements.

Treo360

Amibguous Cad said:

I suspect that Disney will claim that their service is as much a performance as anything else.

Which they do. If memory serves me correct, all Disney employees that interact with the general public are regarded as Cast Members.

as for those saying that she has a legal right to wear her religious articles, well you're right, as long as it's reasonably accommodated, and she was given her accommodations in that Disney was designing one for her, and asked her if she wanted to wear her own she would be placed outside of the public viewership. Accommodations work both ways, and she now chooses to break the rules in an at will environment.

I need to check whether Florida is an "At will employment" State.

Seth C

nib95 said:

Yeah, the dress code rules are the archaic thing int his discussion...

oneHeero

nib95 said:
Yes, that is exactly what happens. I know countless girls who have been in a similar position. It's sometimes difficult to don the hijab (despite knowing you should) due to the whole cultural assimilation thing. Girls want to look pretty, sexy and all the rest. Do their hair up nice. Sometimes it's just difficult to find that bridge towards getting the courage and religious strength to finally take up the life changing task to wear the hijab.

It's not un-common for women, at least in this country, to start wearing it post University or a few years after marriage etc where looking especially good and all that jazz don't quite matter to them as much as their religious beliefs.

Point is, wear the hijab when you are ready to, not because you are forced to. Even if that means wearing one later on in life or at a later stage (like the girl in the OP).

So wtf is the problem here? Why cant she wear this outside of work. If she isnt being forced to wear it than why should Disney be forced to bend the rules and b second to some religion?

NoRéN

Treo360 said:
Which they do. If memory serves me correct, all Disney employees that interact with the general public are regarded as Cast Members.

as for those saying that she has a legal right to wear her religious articles, well you're right, as long as it's reasonably accommodated, and she was given her accommodations in that Disney was designing one for her, and asked her if she wanted to wear her own she would be placed outside of the public viewership. Accommodations work both ways, and she now chooses to break the rules in an at will environment.

I need to check whether Florida is an "At will employment" State.
You are correct, sir! The last thing I need is the person greeting me at Star Tours ruining the Futuristic Space experience by wearing something out of character. This ain't Fallout 3, man. She knew of the dress code and signed a document agreeing to follow it.

Here's what I have to say about this:

Attention angry woman: Disneyland is not discriminating against you, or your religion. If they were, you would have been fired two years ago, or not even hired to begin with. They're discriminating against your sudden decision to wear highly-visible "religious" garb.

The real issue here is that she recently met with a religious leader who "awakened" her. She's now no different from those Born-Again Christians who make a huge fuss in the media whenever Christians are "discriminated" against. She figures the biggest service she can do for her cause is to spark an "outrage" and get as much media attention for it as possible.

Furthermore, if she's a devout Muslim and "morality" is such a deep concern for her, what the hell is she doing working for Disney anyway? That company's products probably violate all kinds of Islamic codes.

oneHeero

Meus Renaissance said:
People have their opinions, and it's fair to say a good amount is based on people's thoughts on religion as an ideology in general - it is something many here on GAF detest, so it's understandable why this story to them is a "non-issue, fire her". And to be fair, others who have a more positive opinion on religion are therefore inclined to defend or at least highlight her difficulties.

This is a cold, harsh reason to sack someone. I can sympathise with her because she obviously doesn't want to leave the place she works. Disney most likely see this different, as a challenge to their dress code and perhaps feel if they allow her to work there, then others will use a similar defence to justify wearing all kinds of things on "religious grounds".
All in all, I hope decency prevails.
1st bold - you mean other muslims in this thread? lol I wonder why.
2nd bold - Disney isnt saying shes fired, Disney just sent her home and gave her numerous options.
3rd bold - duh?

Future

nib95 said:

Working at Disney, however, is a choice. Specifically a Disney Park where they have strict codes to maintain a desired look.

Accommodating this would be like accommodating a religion that required a 3 hr break for lunch for prayer, or a religion that demanded one to be shirtless throughout the day. Sure they are hypothetical, but the question is the same: Would not accommodating these practices mean they are discriminating against a particular sect? What if she worked at Hooters, but then was unable to wear the uniform because she couldnt reveal that much skin.

Can't see how Disney could be viewed at fault here in any way. I can see them settling though just to end this quickly

oneHeero

lunarworks said:
Here's what I have to say about this:

Attention angry woman: Disneyland is not discriminating against you, or your religion. If they were, you would have been fired two years ago, or not even hired to begin with. They're discriminating against your sudden decision to wear highly-visible "religious" garb.

The real issue here is that she recently met with a religious leader who "awakened" her. She's now no different from those Born-Again Christians who make a huge fuss in the media whenever Christians are "discriminated" against. She figures the biggest service she can do for her cause is to spark an "outrage" and get as much media attention for it as possible.

Furthermore, if she's a devout Muslim and "morality" is such a deep concern for her, what the hell is she doing working for Disney anyway? That company's products probably violate all kinds of Islamic codes.
I'd love to see other muslims weigh in on this. But for the most part you'll get "only some things apply" as replies. So they'll basically pick and choose which things should be enforced or not. That's when you know the argument wont stand :lol

Enosh

nib95 said:
I find your view of their dresscode intolerant!

I demand to handle poisonous snakes while I work at Star Tours. You know, for religious reasons.

Arrrgh they be taking me religious freedoms away!

ymmv said:
It still is a personal choice. You like to make it seem it's obligatory for muslim women, but it's not. It's just the fundamentalist interpretation of certain hadith statements.
Even if it were compulsory according to Islam, it is still a choice. The choice is then whether you follow Islam and wear the headgear, or not follow Islam rules and not wear it. If my personal religion says I should wear dark sunglasses 24/7, but my boss doesn't allow that, I can choose to either quit my job or quit my religion.

The reason why the hijab is also an issue in my country, is because there's an uncertainty about whether some girls wearing it do it out of choice. If it is your choice, then matters are simple: either search a job that allows it, or don't wear it at work. However, some girls are pressured into wearing one by their environment. If they don't they get excommunicated or worse. Because of that, a hijab ban punishes the girls twice: if they wear one, their chances in public life are hampered, if they don't wear one, there'll be repercussions from their environment. In essence, religion is a choice. And that makes matters quite easy. If your employer asks you to do things that are not in accordance with your religion, you can quit your job or ignore your religious rules. The fact that it is not a choice for some girls (concerning the hijab), is because of religious pricks in their surroundings. Those latter should be punished, not the girls.

NoRéN

krypt0nian said:
I demand to handle poisonous snakes while I work at Star Tours. You know, for religious reasons.

Arrrgh they be taking me religious freedoms away!
is this why it's closed? snakes on Star Tours 2.0?

nib95

Banned
Those who are saying she should just quit the job and get a job elsewhere, you have to appreciate the hijab is a fundamental part of Islam and her way of life, NOT a fashion choice. A pious Muslim women isn't going to remove it no matter what you do, even if you put a gun to her head.

Though you won't be able to see it, it's in a long winded way, like telling a Black person to work elsewhere because his work place doesn't allow Black people to work there. I.e, deal with it or go elsewhere! Yes she has the choice to remove that hijab, but it is so integral it might as well be a part of her biology. Almost like telling her not to be a Muslim if she wants to keep the job. At the end of the day, a pious Muslim women ins't going to show her hair to anyone but her husband and closest family.

Disney imo need to be more understanding to this instead of comparing her decision to wear the hijab to wearing a baseball cap....

NoRéN

krypt0nian said:
Yup, the Fundies closed Star Tours.
:lol
So, off the Disney job site:
wk5jqs.jpg

Before you even begin to submit info. you have to check and agree to all of these terms and the policies are stated.
So, did this lady take her religious issue to HR or just decide to start violating the dress code out of the blue?

Alucrid

Banned
nib95 said:
Those who are saying she should just quit the job and get a job elsewhere, you have to appreciate the hijab is a fundamental part of Islam and her way of life, NOT a fashion choice. A pious Muslim women isn't going to remove it no matter what you do, even if you put a gun to her head.

Though you won't be able to see it, it's in a long winded way, like telling a Black person to work elsewhere because his work place doesn't allow Black people to work there. I.e, deal with it or go elsewhere! Yes she has the choice to remove that hijab, but it is so integral it might as well be a part of her biology. Almost like telling her not to be a Muslim if she wants to keep the job. At the end of the day, a pious Muslim women ins't going to show her hair to anyone but her husband and closest family.

Disney imo need to be more understanding to this instead of comparing her decision to wear the hijab to wearing a baseball cap....

That whole paragraph is just...ugh. They wear hijabs because they believe that showing the hair arouses men, right?

nib95

Banned
NoRéN said:
:lol
So, off the Disney job site:
wk5jqs.jpg

Before you even begin to submit info. you have to check and agree to all of these terms and the policies are stated.
So, did this lady take her religious issue to HR or just decide to start violating the dress code out of the blue?

She took it to HR first, they didn't even respond till 2 months later. At which point they said they'd make her a custom hijab, but gave no date. She didn't wait around as it was the month of Ramadan (holy month) and went about wearing her hijab anyway. (My guess is in fear they'd take so long Ramadan would be over by the time they got it sorted anyway.)

nib95 said:

Though you won't be able to see it, it's almost like telling a Black person to work elsewhere because his work place doesn't allow Black people to work there. I.e, deal with it or go elsewhere! Yes she has the choice to remove that hijab, but it is so integral it might as well be a part of her biology. Almost like telling her not to be a Muslim if she wants to keep the job. At the end of the day, a pious Muslim women ins't going to show her hair to anyone but her husband and closest family.

As if that means anything at all. Fashion statement or religious practice, in both cases you can chose to wear it or not. If the religious stuff is so precious to you, than quit your job if the job doesn't comply to what your religion prescribes.

And the black woman analogy is completely wrong. What everyone here is trying to make clear is that it's a choice to wear something, just as much as religion itself is a choice. While it is not a choice to be black, gay, woman, .... Do you simply choose to ignore this, or are you just that dense?

AstroLad said:
well they should know they are pushing more people to the ultra-hedonistic captain eo

Shit, they better get positions there then BRING OUT THE SNAKES!

Relgion is a choice and you must BOW DOWN!

nib95 said:
"Pious" is the key. I live in a city full of Muslims, and there's plenty of modern Muslim women who don't wear those items.

Why choose a job that interferes with your devotion to your religion? (Also, she didn't haven't a problem going hijab-free for the two years she worked there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom