• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 - Announcement Trailer

fresquito

What I noticed from the gameplay footage:
- the track surface (which looked like dry chalk in pCARS 1) still looks really dry but MUCH better now
- the tire squeal stayed the same and I still find it atrocious
- the display in the AMG GT3 still has no ABS-setting, just TC. Meaning that we'll probably not be able to change the ABS, at least not from the cockpit.
Sounds are being reworked and new tech is being introduced. Not all cars have gone through the change yet, though.

About your third, you could actually change that in PC1 and you can of course change it in PC2. Unless the real car doesn't allow that, in which case you can't.

Sounds are being reworked and new tech is being introduced. Not all cars have gone through the change yet, though.
Tire sounds as well? Because I'd guess that's a per-tire(compound, like "GT3 soft slick") sound not a per car sound. And why show off a car so heavily that hasn't undergone the update for tire sounds.
About your third, you could actually change that in PC1 and you can of course change it in PC2. Unless the real car doesn't allow that, in which case you can't.
ABS strength? Or ON/OFF ?? I'm talking about how intrusive the ABS is. You could do that with traction control in pCARS1, but only from the pits, where in real life it can be done from the cockpit in GT3 cars. Same with ABS, but - unless I remember that wrong - was not possible even from the pits in pCARS1.

SliChillax

Really can't wait for this. I think controller guys should be a lot more satisfied this time around from what I've played.
This is nice to hear. I never understood why people liked this game but then last week I tried it with a G27 steering wheel and it felt fantastic.

Gestault

SM has my attention with that trailer. If they've covered their quality and career-mode bases AND hit the amount of content they're claiming, they've got something special here.

If 60 tracks really does mean 60 locations, that's double what I think of as a meaty game. My G920 is ready, but I'm absolutely waiting on hard reviews from the press after the problems their first time around, and the absolutely rabid fanbase making it hard to get any kind of meaningful status report on quality.

fresquito

Tire sounds as well? Because I'd guess that's a per-tire sound not a per car sound. And why show off a car so heavily that hasn't undergone the update for tire sounds.

ABS strength? Or ON/OFF ?? I'm talking about how intrusive the ABS is. You could do that with traction control in pCARS1, but only from the pits, where in real life it can be done from the cockpit in GT3 cars. Same with ABS, but - unless I remember that wrong - was not possible even from the pits in pCARS1.
I'm not sure what is shared between cars and what is not. But I know there're many elements that go beyond a mere sound file. Why they showed this and not something else? I don't know, but this is a work in progress, for sounds too. All I can say is that so far sound is greatly improved in my experience.

In PC1 was ON/OFF, yes. I'm not sure about PC2. It's not something I usually fiddle with. Not at this point of development, at least. In PC1 you can turn on/off TC, SC and ABS on the fly. I think it is the same for PC2. The strengh of the ABS is car dependant, this time around, if I'm not mistaken. Take it with a grain of salt.

Mascot

Pretty much all I was thinking during the trailer:

- that "brown leafs in fall"-idea some rFactor modders had, is becoming a thing
- ok, Mercedes AMG, but we had the GT3 version in pCARS 1
- That Corvette was DLC in pCARS 1
- Acura... interesting
- GT-R GT3... mmmph driven that in every other sim under the sun already
- Pagani is in... again

... where are all the hot new licenses? Ferrari, Porsche Lamborghini? Rally cars? Where are the touring classics? All these cars are so modern...

I think I preferred the leaked trailer. This seems like they tried to save a ton of new stuff for more announcements to build hype.

There is still time later for that, but I had the marketing focused on going after the guys who only buy one racing game a year at the most and convince them that pCARS2 has more of the stuff they like than GT Sport will.

Change of ToD, dynamic weather, single-player career, "normal" cars you might be able to take to a trackday yourself (a Golf, a Civic, Cayman, Impreza etc.) and super-cars like Ferrari 488, new Audi R8... and then some super iconic classics the Group B Quattro (on an offroad track), a Stratos, Moby Dick, Mercedes 300 SLR, McLaren Honda MP4/4... also: show more tracks, overwhelmingly fast paced shots of the gazillion tracks that will be in the game. And show off amazing sound that GT Sport is still lacking. That's what I would do, try to eat PD's lunch, because otherwise it will be pretty hard to sell more than the 2 million copies from the last time around.

They are definitely holding things back, but I agree that this trailer - the announce trailer, because we are all American all of a sudden - could have done a better job of showing more tracks, more cars, more classes. more...more.

Edit: Fucking hell, another DP. Where's my can of Bish Repellant?

shandy706

So how many people are working on this compared to PD and Turn 10?

I mean...this looks incredible. Granted, T10 does their work in 2 years too.

Certinty

Looks incredible. The first game was amazing with a wheel, but with a controller that wasn't so much the case.

Mascot

Probably 60fps the same way PC1 was 60fps on consoles.

giphy.gif

In PC1 was ON/OFF, yes. I'm not sure about PC2. It's not something I usually fiddle with. Not at this point of development, at least. In PC1 you can turn on/off TC, SC and ABS on the fly. I think it is the same for PC2. The strengh of the ABS is car dependant, this time around, if I'm not mistaken. Take it with a grain of salt.

You know, I actually looked this up, because I wasn't 100% sure if ABS level can only be set in the pits or on the fly and it doesn't seem to be on the steering wheel (at least not GT-R, Z4 and M6), just the level of traction control is on the wheel (still could be somewhere else).

Weird. It sounded a lot different to me, with skipping and juddering under hard braking.

It's ok, if other people like it. For me it should foremost tell me what the tire is doing to replace the missing senses of g's and yaw-rate. In that sense, the tire squeal in Gran Turismo is an offense to the ears, but at least I know what the tires are saying(not they can say a lot in that game, but ... yeah). In pCARS I have a hard time telling if they are saying high side-slip angle or already-side-scrubbing-a-little. Same with rear wheels spinning. The sound shouldn't necessarily be perfectly realistic, but it should sound cool/pleasant and deliver the info I need. Maybe it would be easier with better surround sound, but my "rig" only has stereo on a 37" TV.

Edit:
That sound is GOOD. Everything, tires and engine. Could be it's because it's not a slick tire.

And while we're talking about sound and surround:
EVERY REAL RACING SIM, SHOULD HAVE A SPOTTER. A radio guy telling you not to go outside, because there is a car there. As far as I know only iRacing and Automobilista currently have that feature and it's so immersive and makes you also drive more realistic and careful than some arrow-indicators do (some games seemingly don't even have that).

fresquito

You know, I actually looked this up, because I wasn't 100% sure if ABS level can only be set in the pits or on the fly and it doesn't seem to be on the steering wheel (at least not GT-R, Z4 and M6), just the level of traction control is on the wheel (still could be somewhere else).

EVERY REAL RACING SIM, SHOULD HAVE A SPOTTER. A radio guy telling you not to go outside, because there is a car there. As far as I know only iRacing and Automobilista currently have that feature and it's so immersive and makes you also drive more realistic and careful than some arrow-indicators do (some games seemingly don't even have that).
You can configure it in the options. Not sure it has any key asigned by default.

PC2 has a spotter.

Mascot

The Crew Chief app has your back there, and even works on PS4 in pCARS. It's superb. You can even ask him questions through your mic (eg how's my fuel, who's in front etc) and he'll even address you by name. I never race without it.

Phinor

I hope they manage to improve the feel of driving with a wheel a lot from PC1. The FF just didn't feel as good as most of their competitors. Other than that, I really enjoyed the first game so if they just manage to make the cars feel better (which is pretty important in a driving game!), I'm in.

I will never buy a slightly mad game ever again. Those fuckers pulled a fast one when it came to PS VR, just to get people to purchase their game. Lied about supporting PS VR a year in advance and when it was time to produce nowhere to be found, those fuckers would not even acknowledge they announced support for PS VR.

Mascot

I will never buy a slightly mad game ever again. Those fuckers pulled a fast one when it came to PS VR, just to get people to purchase their game. Lied about supporting PS VR a year in advance and when it was time to produce nowhere to be found, those fuckers would not even acknowledge they announced support for PS VR.

Things change during development?

sourc3d

TBH looking at what we ended up with in the example of DriveMush on PSVR i'm glad they didn't compromise the original project cars to its detriment trying to support it.

Project cars does however play great in VR on Rift where the horse power is there on PC.

TheRed

I'll only get it if it runs much much better in VR than the first game.
I only want to play racing sims in VR now.

wbEMX

I only played the Pagani Edition of PC1, but I seriously want to get into that game and PC2. I didn't manage to have a lot of fun due to the controls. If I only had a wheel. Or are there good controller tweaking guides for PC1?

Anyhow, this year will be great in terms of racing. GT Sport, DiRT4 (HYPE!) and PCars 2.

Gestault

Wait, what did ever happen to the PSVR update for original Project Cars? They were pretty explicit about that happening, and I hadn't heard a change in plans along the way.

The sterring or hand animations look twitchy as fuck on consoles yikes.

I also have worries about performance on consoles when the weather kicks in or high player counts.

Looks great - hopefully SMS can make it so it's actually playable with a controller this time :(

I'm also having a bit of a hard time believing they'll be able to pull off those visuals at 60fps, but I guess we'll see.

TBH looking at what we ended up with in the example of DriveMush on PSVR i'm glad they didn't compromise the original project cars to its detriment trying to support it.

Project cars does however play great in VR on Rift where the horse power is there on PC.

Don't care, they made the announcement and didn't state anything to the contrary afterwards. Just a bunch of liars, as far as I'm concerned.

DriveClub is OK, and it is better on the Pro. You can tell it was a rushed project.

AndyVirus

What do they mean by 60+ tracks? If it's 60 locations then it's fantastic and double the first game..if it's just track variants (e.g. 3 slightly modified Silverstone circuits) then it's a disappointing number compared to the first..

Top Bottom