• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Angst

Let's say you want to craft a sword that you have a diagram for. You talk to a Blacksmith and ask him to craft something. You highlight the sword and see that it calls for certain materials; using the base Griffin steel sword as an example, you need leather scraps, steel ingots, a monster brain and a monster eye. You already have the monster brain, so no worries there. You don't have leather straps or steel ingots, but they're highlighted in the crafting menu that you're looking at, which tells you that this blacksmith also sells them. You don't have a monster eye either, but it's not highlighted, which tells you this blacksmith doesn't sell that item and you'll need to get it elsewhere. You can also pin diagrams, which will cause highlights to show up in the shop menu anytime an item needed for a pinned recipe is being sold by a craftsman. This works for blacksmiths (weapons), armorers (armor), herbalists and alchemists (alchemy), along with the occasional shopkeeper selling alchemy supplies. The one thing that it still doesn't show you is what items you have in your inventory that can be dismantled to produce the ingredients you need, which comes up infrequently but can still be infuriating if you run around for 3 days looking for powdered monster tissue before realizing you could just dismantle some of your 8 million pounds of specter dust.
Sweet! Thanks for the detailed explanation :)

frontovik

Banned
I have the desire to replay the game after finishing it last year. Looking forward to delve into the WItcher again.

On a related note, I've started re-reading the books.. I'm of the opinion that the short stories (Last Wish & Sword of Destiny) are more entertaining than the saga; though only by a slight margin.

I've noticed that the book covers for the NA editions are quite dull (especially since the publisher re-used promo materials from the games) However, the Spanish, Dutch, and Chinese one looks quite nice.. here's an example

novel_cover_the_witcher_vol_3_by_xiling-d9w3lgw.jpg

http://xiling.deviantart.com/art/Novel-cover-The-witcher-vol-3-598111088

Fedelias

Just finished Blood and Wine, almost a year and a half after finishing the main game. So good, I want to play the whole thing all over again. Any recommendations for making a second playthrough more interesting?

heytred

Neo Member
Just finished Blood and Wine, almost a year and a half after finishing the main game. So good, I want to play the whole thing all over again. Any recommendations for making a second playthrough more interesting?

One of the main ways I've tried to 'mix things up' is to adjust my combat style on subsequent play-throughs. I never touched alchemy before my second and it completely changed my priorities as I played. I was always looking for herbalists once reaching new areas, chasing down recipes, taking a more strategic approach to combat, etc.

Coreda

Been experimenting with Fera's Roach Variants mod, which allows for customization of Roach's appearance.

While there isn't any mod yet that allows for switching between Axii'd horses in permanent stables (which has long been a wish of mine) this mod still provides a much desired ability.

Seen here with body (Solids: 01_16), mane (28), tail (04). Hairworks disabled.

Spladam

Just checked out all three Witcher OT's on NeoGAF, these are the best OT's I've seen for anything, very well done, thanks OP.

I'm playing the game for the first time now and I just finished helping Yenifer with her personal quest in Skellige. I have to admit that I'm enjoying the third Witcher way more then I did the other two, the amount of distractions in the game can be a bit overwhelming. I have a feeling I'll be stuck in Skellige for a long time.

So yeah, I got into the first hour of Blood & Wine and I haven't gone back. I played the full game and Hearts Of Stone and did all the side quests in the past week.
I think I need a break.

Just finished Hearts of Stone.

Wow.

Olgierd and Gaunter were fantastic characters and the quests were amazing. I got major Silent Hill vibes near the end.

On to Blood and Wine!

Coreda

So I'm liking Roach's current color set. Compliments the armor and Geralt's hair with the black body/mane/tail and white accents of the feet and nose (unseen beneath the blinders).

Some others from the same set as posted in the screenshot thread. Love when characters take on the dim ambient light and the speckles of the sun peek through some of the denser areas.

Just checked out all three Witcher OT's on NeoGAF, these are the best OT's I've seen for anything, very well done, thanks OP.

Glad you enjoyed them :)

Just finished Hearts of Stone.

Wow.

Olgierd and Gaunter were fantastic characters and the quests were amazing. I got major Silent Hill vibes near the end.

On to Blood and Wine!

Not that B&W is bad or anything, because it's not, but you just played the best that the game has to offer.

I didn't care much about the vampire story. Too melodramatic, and there's a weird time skip towards the end that feels like they cut a chunk of the game out.

Coreda

I know that. The dev mentions the character 'showing up' in Skellige, as in physically. That doesn't happen in the game as far as I know.

Yeah, doesn't seem like it. Speaking of which didn't realize that the character appeared even when you don't end up with the (vague B&W spoilers)
romantic couple outcome
. Was a total surprise encounter while riding the modded Roach along the shore. Love the memento:

Interestingly it occupies the steel sword slot yet doesn't remove the sword. After unequipping it the inventory needs to be re-opened to see the original sword again. However after saving and returning to the game following a re-launch it becomes invisible in the inventory making it impossible to remove normally...

Thankfully for PC users the debug console command comes to the rescue with
removeitem("sq701_item_wearable_feather")
(credit to this post for the item ID). It can then be added back in the inventory using additem("...").

Hi guys/Girls.

So my 3 year Destiny Journey is going to be placed on hold.

Im about to jump into the Witcher 3 for the very first time. (Finally)

Can I get some advise? Things you learned along the way that might help me not make the same mistakes, or things to look out for? Ive never played a Witcher game before.

Thank you guys.

I've been blazing through my New Game+ playthrough, mainly because I want to get to a spot where I can upgrade my armor/swords. You can only get so far with equipment that is 20 levels too low, but you can't get some of those bonuses back until endgame; it's a conundrum. So I was about 1500 XP away from Level 80 (which I needed to hit to upgrade my equipment to "Legendary Superior" status) and I was trying to get there doing sidequests, but they're only giving me 25 XP or so at a time... "Fine," I say, "I guess I'll just do the next story mission and then upgrade my armor." For reference, the next story mission was
The Isle of Mists
. Significant story spoilers follow:

Fucking balls, I'd forgotten that this one funnels you into a series of events that you can't take a break from for a long, long time. You find Ciri and go back to Kaer Morhen, which I remembered... but I had figured that I could then warp to Novigrad and upgrade my gear with Hattori and Joanna. Nope. Totally slipped my mind that I was now roped into the battle of Kaer Morhen, AND Vesemir's funeral, AND conversations with everyone I'd ever met, AND a snowball fight with Ciri, AND running off with Ciri to fight the Crones and Imlerith, all without a single chance to bugger off in between. I was only looking for 1500 XP so I could upgrade my swords; 3 hours, 8000 XP and 4 levels later I FINALLY escape that loop so I can run off, upgrade my gear, and visit the Runewright to get Severance back on my swords because apparently upgrading them destroys that enchantment. I wasn't too upset; I had a nice glass of wine for some of the best exposition the game gives, and the siege of the castle is a legitimately fun mission. It's just they should give you a warning. I mean, they do, but it's "some sidequests may no longer be available," which is useless. Tell me "the next mission leads into a sequence that takes a minimum of 3 hours, please budget your time accordingly." Ended up staying up too late.

Also, I was running around the battlements during prep for the battle, and I stumbled upon a chest I'd never seen before, which started the sidequest "Berengar’s Blade." And then I started the battle and that quest immediately failed, because the first step is talk to Vesemir (who is naturally unavailable after the battle). Who thinks to look in that random ass section of battlements at any time other than when Vesemir is prepping shit in front of it? My wife gave me some serious side-eye after I told her I'd already taken care of all the sidequests and wouldn't fail any by starting the battle. Whoops.

Reven

Hi guys/Girls.

Can I get some advise? Things you learned along the way that might help me not make the same mistakes, or things to look out for? Ive never played a Witcher game before.

Thank you guys.

This imgur post is a great primer on the game:

http://imgur.com/a/Ystj3

Hi guys/Girls.

Thank you guys.

Jump in and have fun, don't ignore side quests, explore the map, try out different combat builds to see what suits you best. Generally a good idea to make multiple saves, especially during the main quests.

Not that B&W is bad or anything, because it's not, but you just played the best that the game has to offer.

I didn't care much about the vampire story. Too melodramatic, and there's a weird time skip towards the end that feels like they cut a chunk of the game out.

I've not gotten far into the main story, but I'm loving Toussaint and Beauclair as environments, and the music too. As a book reader, I'm also thrilled to see
Regis alive
. Even if there won't be the highs of HoS, the setting is enough for me so far.

Radec

Just finished B&W pretty great expansion. Final boss was great. Died 3 times on DM from his
bat
rail gun attack lol. Insta killed me even with Quen active.

I tried different paths on the ending but
Anna still dies on both. :/

Coreda

I've not gotten far into the main story, but I'm loving Toussaint and Beauclair as environments, and the music too. As a book reader, I'm also thrilled to see
Regis alive
. Even if there won't be the highs of HoS, the setting is enough for me so far.

In various respects I enjoyed B&W more. The diverseness of sidequests, the cinematography, the character you mentioned, and some of the change of environment and culture (though I still prefer the more untouched and war torn lands). While it could have done some things better I felt the very ending was handled sublimely.

Was testing the Manual Bomb Aiming mod yesterday. It's pretty good. Helps with aiming especially at night, though its central aim marker could use tweaking for daytime since it's a little harder to see.

MbMK8c2.gif

sdijoseph

Ok so normally when I am playing through the game the FPS hovers between 35-50 fps, which is perfectly fine for me. However, occasionally when I enter combat, even if its against just a single enemy using a sword (no igni signs/fire effects), the fps drops to 15-20. Is this normal or is something else wrong?

Edit: Ok so I isolated the problem and I am having this exact issue. For some reason whenever a bleeding or fire effect occurs in combat my fps goes from 35 to 10. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Wimps

After 66 hours I finally finished it. What an amazing game. The writing, the characters, the quests, everything. One of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's not perfect but it's an amazing experience. Though, the ending doesn't feel particularly rewarding. Probably did something wrong..

Will definitely play both DLCs. Which one to go for first?

JustinBB7

After 66 hours I finally finished it. What an amazing game. The writing, the characters, the quests, everything. One of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's not perfect but it's an amazing experience. Though, the ending doesn't feel particularly rewarding. Probably did something wrong..

Only 66 hours for the main game? Did you just rush through the main story or?

For DLC do Hearts Of Stone first.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i don't believe you've played through the entire main quest + all secondary quests/contracts in just 66 hours. the main quest took me about 50 hours on it's own. my quickest playthrough was 90 hours and i was rushing through cutscenes and fast travelling a lot. I spent more time doing the DLC than your playthrough of the base game.

as for DLC start Hearts of Stone and then Blood & Wine. the ending you get in the base game isn't really the true ending. it's just there for people who don't bother with the expansions. the true ending to the game and series is in Blood & Wine.

I began playing this again on my OG PS4 and the fan noise and sluggishness is killing me, so I bought the GOTY edition for PC on GOG. I have like 40 hours logged on the PS4 version but I really don't care to start over, plus I have the DLC waiting for me.

Just started up Hearts of Stone and got hit with the From Ofier's Distant Shores bug. Can't finish the quest :(

Two years and it's still not been fixed: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...m-ofier-s-distant-shores-bug-possible-spolier

Aside from that - what an awesome game :)

Does reloading a previous save/checkpoint fix it? I was doing the Reason of State mission, and right as I get to the spot that's supposed to trigger a pretty important cinematic, everything just sort of stops. I can still run around, everyone is just frozen like they're waiting for the cutscene to trigger and it won't go. Had to reload the last checkpoint and go back up the bridge, and then everything worked fine.

Just updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, performance has gone to shit on my GOG copy. Afterburner shows consistent 100% GPU usage, while the temps and framerate both stay low (sub-30fps).

EDIT: Same thing happened with Hitman, but not with GTA V. Reverting to previous drivers fixed it. Fuck's sake, Nvidia.

JeTmAn81

I finished the main game in around 60 hours having done most of the secondary quests on my list and some of the Witcher quests. I did all Gwent stuff other than collecting every card.

FaceTurn

Currently doing gangs of novigrad and get junior. Why do I get the feeling you will fail one when you complete the other? Anyone have any tips for completing both?

Coreda

The full 600 track, nearly 12 hour in-game extracted soundtrack rip is glorious, and the additional 5 hours of the expansions. The music was such an integral part of the experience but wasn't aware just how many additional parts of the score (particularly of the base game) and variations of the motifs existed.

Also learned the Sex With Yennefer track is twice as long as the Sex With Triss. Ayy. Goes a bit wild in the second half.

The full 600 track, nearly 12 hour in-game extracted soundtrack rip is glorious, and the additional 5 hours of the expansions. The music was such an integral part of the experience but wasn't aware just how many additional parts of the score (particularly of the base game) and variations of the motifs existed.

Also learned the Sex With Yennefer track is twice as long as the Sex With Triss. Ayy. Goes a bit wild in the second half.

Link?

Angst

I'm tempted to pick up the GOTY edition with all the DLC included. How does it run on the original PS4?
I'm playing it now on (albeit on a slim) and IMO it runs very good and looks good. If I'd complain about something it's the load times after dying, but that's all.

dawgparty

So I'm sure this gets asked all the time but would it be alright to jump in with The Witcher 3? I'm hankering for a good console RPG and don't really have time to play multiple in a series right now.

So I'm sure this gets asked all the time but would it be alright to jump in with The Witcher 3? I'm hankering for a good console RPG and don't really have time to play multiple in a series right now.

Game does a pretty good job at setting up the major players for people new to the series, and the references to previous games are predominately located in sidequests iirc. The codex is pretty good too.

Witcher 3 sold around 10m by March last year, the same as the previous two combined (and that was the bump they got from people retroactively getting them after witcher 3). You aren't in a small minority at any rate to have jumped in with 3 (I did!), and it's a great game even if you know nothing about the series

Before jumping in I had only played a few hours of witcher 2 and I don't feel I'm missing out. There's a really good video for witcher 1 and 2 in OT#1.

Edit: (spoilers for witcher 1 and 2, obviously)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog
https://youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

I feel like for TW3, if you haven't read the books, you're missing out on a lot. TW1 and TW2 much less so. If you can only read one book, I recommend The Sword of Destiny. It's not very long.

Case in point, the game never really shows you what Yen and Ciri's relationship was like. Really disappointed that we didn't get more Yen | Ciri scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxJ1_TjcMk&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKkMFJPf6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrI5C7kucH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxJ1_TjcMk

Listen with eng subs enabled.

Fun fact: Krzysztof Banaszyk, who voices Roche in the games, voices Geralt in the audiobooks.

Google

I feel like for TW3, if you haven't read the books, you're missing out on a lot.

I haven't read the books (but have completed TW3) and felt like I was missing an awful lot of context.

Thanks for the recommendation on Sword of Destiny. I will pick that up from the library.

Angst

Sure, it's a good idea to read the books, but I feel that it's a bad idea to recommend someone with limited time who is interested in the game that he should start with reading a novel. What if he reads the novel and then ends up not liking the game?

I feel it's better to play the game and if the game and its lore interest you, then pick up the books.

I haven't read the books (but have completed TW3) and felt like I was missing an awful lot of context.

Thanks for the recommendation on Sword of Destiny. I will pick that up from the library.

I'm going to be that guy, but just read them all. :p They really are that good.

Technically you should start with The Last Wish. If you've played Witcher 1, the intro to that game is the ending to the first short story in that book. The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are short story collections, there's like 5 short stories per book. It's nice and quick. The short stories focus on Geralt, whereas the main novel series shifts focus to young Ciri.

The next five books are novels, and require a more significant time investment. If your first language is English, they haven't finished translating the last novel yet, The Lady of the Lake. IIRC, it's coming out sometime this year.

Sure, it's a good idea to read the books, but I feel that it's a bad idea to recommend someone with limited time who is interested in the game that he should start with reading a novel. What if he reads the novel and then ends up not liking the game?

I feel it's better to play the game and if the game and its lore interest you, then pick up the books.

As I mentioned, the first two books are short story collections. Very quick reads, in my opinion, although everyone reads at different paces.

We can agree to disagree with that. ;) I couldn't imagine enjoying the games half as much without knowing more about the characters and universe.

-----------------

Stuff like this, you'll never get from the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMKVanHrKgg

What's going on. My game keeps sort of freezing after cut scenes. I can move Geralt by jumping but that's it.

I also can't save the game either...

edit: Figured it out.

Currently doing gangs of novigrad and get junior. Why do I get the feeling you will fail one when you complete the other? Anyone have any tips for completing both?

I realize it's been a couple days since you asked this, so maybe you figured it out, but the two quests run in conjunction with each other. Gangs of Novigrad boils down to "I'll work with Cleaver's guys" as opposed to "I'll just do everything on my own." If you want to do the Gangs of Novigrad quest, take on the two parts that Cleaver's gang is involved with (the casino and the fighting pits), then go talk to Cleaver before continuing on to find Junior. It's a little extra coin and some token XP; there's no harm in missing it, but it can also make the fights easier as you'll have allies.

Top Bottom