• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((
Oh, I was intending to let the DM take the reign (of fear) on that one, especially since Fhiess is taking a haunted paintbrush in that has a liking for Nolzur paintings. If you want me to continue it solo, I can just have a self-reflecting moment and have Fhiess go to the university next.
I think it makes sense that you would wait to see what happens, (Artist's) haunted paint brush and all. If it turns out to be nothing, Fhiess can still have his contemplative moment. What is the meaning of art, anyway, when the world comes crashing down around you?))

(( purchases so far -and correct me if I'm wrong- but we've got an assortment of spells for Thosar, two enchanted bows, a silvered giant sword, and maybe a Potion of Diminuation. Are Keranos and Fhiess not planning on any big important displays of the group's minimal wealth?))
((Looks right. I would say we should also buy winter clothes, blankets, and healing kits for each person as well as rope gear (block and tackle, couple lengths of rope). This would run us 61.5 gold.))

((
I think it makes sense that you would wait to see what happens, (Artist's) haunted paint brush and all. If it turns out to be nothing, Fhiess can still have his contemplative moment. What is the meaning of art, anyway, when the world comes crashing down around you?))

<For whatever reason I thought it was Mike M asking what I was planning to do, sorry about that. But that is a good suggestion.

I'm also glad this thread managed to fix itself.>

((Looks right. I would say we should also buy winter clothes, blankets, and healing kits for each person as well as rope gear (block and tackle, couple lengths of rope). This would run us 61.5 gold.))
<Fhiess isn't very survival minded, somebody will need to tell him to buy these things. Well, the blanket and winter clothing at least. I don't think he would do a good job using climbing gear.>

((Sadly, the reduce spell will not provide enough time to put on armor for Ludwig, even if such a trick would otherwise work.

If Ludwig can trade in his chain mail, that'd defray the cost of splint mail down to 600. If he spends his own hard earned metal ingots as well, that'd leave 336 gold taken out of the party haul beyond his standard share. Dividing that 6 ways, that's 56 gold out of everyone's share if all are willing to pitch in. We can make up the difference in later hauls.))

((Been looking at cleric spells for anything of use and found a neat thing.
Fun fact: Shield of faith is a paladin spell and is cast as a bonus action for +2 AC for up to 10 minutes. Nice way to help with durability.))

Mike M

Nick N
((I have follow-ups for most of you guys, I just want to give everyone a chance before we plow ahead. I know Sagishi just had a back story dump, so Nezumi may be satisfied for the time being. I also know Phoenix isn't super huge on the RP stuff, and we've been kind of stalled out with it as opposed to actual game mechanic stuff, so I don't want to get to far into more RP before he has a chance to catch up with spendung loot.))

Nezumi

((I think I'll take a magnetized crossbow (it is easier for me to fire in case I have to crouch under a wagon or something like that again.) I'm also getting 100 gold pieces worth of fireworks, but I'm just gonna pay that from what we got from the mayor. After that I still have a good 200 or so goldpieces from that left which I would be willing to chip in for something for Ludwig.
I agree with getting winter clothing and all the other stuff.
Sagishi would also stroll around the city and use his crime background to find out how and where they might find a good buyer for the arrows and maybe a way into the city. Do I need to make a perception check for that? Doesn't really say in the PHB how thief's cant is actually applied. Maybe advantage on perception rolls to find something out? I'll wait for a ruling on that and then do a little write up. Nothing overly elaborate, don't worry ;)
Can we just assume that the gang got together for a beer and planned all that before everyone went about exploring the city on their own? And that we'll meet up in said tavern after everyone has done the shopping? Might be as good a place as any to get back into the actual game.))

((Agreed regarding prior planning and having a space rented for the night to converge at. It'll be nice sleeping under a roof again.

I'm happy to help Ludwig get better armor. That only leaves whether Pheonix wishes to pitch in.

Sasgishi:
Selling that glurg on the down low might afford even better armor for him.
))

((Was about to say that I still need to buy a potion of diminution, but it looks like the math takes that into account, so we're good! Yeah, meeting up at an inn or something makes sense. Once DP chimes in and I know whether the armor pool is unanimous, I'll do a writeup for Ludwig finding a place and getting fitted.))

Nezumi

((@ Noisy Ninj4, Sagishi will add that to the things he tries to find out during his little excursion of bellows' crime scene))

((Was about to say that I still need to buy a potion of diminution, but it looks like the math takes that into account, so we're good! Yeah, meeting up at an inn or something makes sense. Once DP chimes in and I know whether the armor pool is unanimous, I'll do a writeup for Ludwig finding a place and getting fitted.))
((If DP doesn't want in on the pool, I'll put in the last part. Ludwig is getting that armor one way or another.))

((Sagishi can make a Wisdom check to scope out Bellows criminal underworld scene.))
((That reminds me, can Thosar check for ways into the city while in the main archive? Also would like more info on the frozen areas beyond. Investigation or History check?))

Nezumi

Sagishi listens intently as everyone discusses how to best use their money. He has little to add himself and mostly nods along as both Thosar and Galen quickly take over the planning since they both seem more than competent on the matter. When everything seems to be figured out and Fhiess and Keranos have already left to go about their own businesses, Sagishi excuses himself as well, leaving the crossbow behind with Thosar, to take care of the enchantment.

The thought of owning his own enchanted weapon makes him a bit giddy. Just like one of the heroes in his mother's stories. All in all Sagishi is enjoying himself immensely when he steps onto the streets and takes in the Bellows' air.

For a while he wanders around the city more or less aimlessly, doing his best to get a feel of it. One of the first things that he takes notice of is that for once he doesn't stand out for being on the smaller side. On the contrary, he can't remember ever being in a place where he actually stands taller than most people. He feels strangely exposed and wonders for a moment if this is what Ludwig feels like all the time.

His wanderings take him past a shop for alchemy supplies. For a moment he regrets not asking Fhiess for any recommendations on the subject, but since he couldn't change that now anyway he might just get what he needs here.

To his delight the shop is indeed stocked very well and the prices for the different materials are relatively reasonable.

The shop clerk raises an eyebrow when Sagishi orders the black powder. "That's quite a big boom you are planning there, boy. Should I be worried?" He looks inquisitively at Sagishi.

"Not at all," Sagishi laughs. "Just a lot of small booms. And if you would be so kind to add some of..." he stops for a moment scanning the jars behind the man. Finally he pointa at a handful of containers in quick succession. "This, this and this. And a little bit of that one over there, no the left one, yes, that's the one."

The man is quick to measure up the various minerals and powders on Sagishi's demand. "So fireworks, huh? A young entertainer I gather? Don't look to surprised, I actually dabbled a bit in that area myself. Up until one of the blasted things almost took some of my fingers off. Figured I stick to not actively trying to blow stuff up after that."

Sagishi giggles "Yeah, it can be a bit fickle at times." He shows the alchemist his hands where an accumulation of faded scars paint a picture of a tideous learning progress. "But I always felt like the pay of was worth it."

The old man nods. "I think I have something that might interest you, young man. Came by a small shipment of the stuff recently. I wasn't really sure what to do with it if I'm honest." He vanishes below his desk and for a minute all that can be heard in the small dim store is the unmistakable sound of frentic searching.

"Aha!" finally the man reemerges from the depth of his desk holding a small paper bag which he offers to Sagishi. The kitsune takes it. It contains a rather unassuming brownish powder. Sagishi takes a whiff of the substance but the smell doesn't remind him of anything. Earthy, is all that he can think off.

"What is this? Dirt?" he asks jokingly.

The alchemist answers with a chuckle. "Mostly, yes. But this kind of dirt can only be found in the..." He stops as he sees Sagishi's raised eyebrow. "OK, to the point. I have found that this stuff is completely useless as an alchemist compound. In fact, it did not react to any substance I tested it with in any significant way, but for one exception. When put to the flame this stuff produces one of the thickest smokes I have ever seen. I only burned a small spoon of it and my entire workshop was filled with smoke for hours. Now, my usual clients have little use for something like that, but I always felt that it might be just the right thing for someone from the entertainment sector. Just imagine the dramatic entry one could create with the help of it."

Sagishi's smile widened to a delighted grin as he imagined the dramatic exists this little powder could help him with. "Well in this case, I guess I better take the lot of your hands."

The haggled a bit back and forth but in the end Sagishi left the store quite satisfied. He actually looked forward to tinker around with this new substance.

Now that his personal shopping was out of the way, Sagishi set to work on the more pressing matters. Finding potential buyers for the poisened arrows and maybe even the glurg itself and discovering information of where one might find a way into the city of Hammerfall.

At first he is a bit unsure where to go. In contrast to Nodoff, Bellows criminal community isn't quite as blatantly obvious. So, Sagishi wanders around, from one shady bar to the next, listening to the people, keeping an eye out for any familiar markings and trying to get a feel for the general atmosphere. By and by as he gets more comfortable and feels like he can risk it he also starts to engage people in conversation, buying the occasional drink to loosen up tongues.

Wisdom Check: 1D20 = [18] = 18

Mike M

Nick N
Keranos:
As you bring your deific command of the storms to bear, you have a fleeting vision of the same cloaked figure as you saw during the encounter with the hobgoblins in the woods. He still stands across from you at the center of an amphitheater of rotting masonry beneath the swirling eye of a storm. He's facing you this time, but you can make out nothing beneath his hood but darkness. Despite the fact that this occurs so quickly you cannot be certain it happened at all, your skin crawls with the certainty that whomever it is you're seeing has gone from merely noticing you to taking an active interest.

#

Fheiss: As the half-elf bard steps across the threshold into the museum, he feels a steady thrumming in his pack. Much as it felt standing before the Nolzur masterpiece hanging upon the wall of the inn in Telmur, only amplified by orders of magnitude as he stands in the presence of the works of the great master.

#

Sagishi: If the criminal element of Nodoff were likened to a river, then the underworld of Remdormo was a puddle drying in the sun after a rain. Bellows is definitely closer to the former, but it's still nothing in comparison. Through his surveillance and information gathering skills, the kitsune is able to glean that most of the illicit activity that occurs in the city revolves around counterfeiting and forgery of varying degrees. The university district is paradoxically the center of most of this activity while being of particularly low stakes; There's a thriving black market for students looking to purchase the answers to tests or essays written by others to be submitted under their own name. While the risk of expulsion from the institution is certainly dire from the perspective of the students, the money available to be made is strictly penny ante compared to the work Sagishi has bothered to involve himself in.

The mercantile district is notably seedier, but still nothing serious enough that anyone would fear to walk down the street on an overcast night's darkness. Sagishi is astute enough to work out that there's some organized element up to no good, but isn't able to penetrate beyond the furthest periphery of the group and can only learn that whoever they are, they're closely linked with the trade that comes down the river out of Hammerfall in some manner. If one had to guess, Sagishi might assume that they're involved in some sort of scheme involving goods that ”fell off the barge" as it were, but that's nothing more than speculation. He does note that several of the men he pegs as possibly being the first level of bosses above street-level work are all wearing rings of red metal.

Even tentative efforts to suss out whether anyone would be interested in purchasing the poisoned arrows or the case of the mysterious glurg solution doesn't get very far. Whether through the efforts of the city guard or honor among thieves, interpersonal violence doesn't seem to be an issue in Bellows, making a poor market for poisons.

#

Thosar: Struck with l'esprit de l'escalier just as he leaves the university archives, Thosar turns back to head once more into the depths of the building in search of information that might be useful in arming themselves with foreknowledge of the White Wastes and other ways one might get into Hammerfall other than the main gates.

There is a disappointing dearth of information on the White Wastes, but even the scraps he finds are better than nothing. He finds an obscure thesis that the Hauntaur had a considerable presence in the region, which seems starkly at odds with its current reputation of deadly inhospitality. But it would stand to reason that if such an assertion were true, the tunnels they built between the snowy expanses and Hammerfall during their occupation of Forgerun was some sort of supporting infrastructure for whatever the Hauntaur were doing up at the top of the world.

He has better luck in trying to find alternate means of entering the subterranean nation, though the answers aren't necessarily encouraging. Firstly, he finds that there are multiple postern gates near the colossal main gate. It's a reasonable assumption that Hammerfall doesn't have the resources to sustain itself for prolonged periods without being able to bring in supplies without having to raise and lower the titanic metal slab, that they would have need of sending and receiving diplomatic envoys, etc, so it only makes sense. They are, however, likely to be heavily guarded and designed to be as inaccessible from the outside as possible.

He also finds a geological survey that points out that the river that runs from the Forgerun mountains to Bellows and beyond actually originates from a glacier deep, deep in the mountains, and that the river runs through Forgerun itself before exiting the mountain in a towering cascade of water down the mountainside. If one could climb the mountain to the exit point, and if it were large enough to admit a person, and if that person were strong enough to resist the torrential current, and if that river had adequate clearance to allow the passage of air, and if one could climb up from the depths to the levels of the mountain that house Hammerfall, one might be able to make it into the city without capturing the notice of the guard at the gate.

That's a lot of ”ifs."

#

His work for the evening completed, Thosar winds his way out of the depths of the collected knowledge of the ages. The shelves stretch to the vaulted ceiling a good couple of meters above Thosar's own head, each weighed down with carefully cataloged and organized scrolls, books, and other texts. At regular intervals there are ladders made of dark wood, set on wheels to roll along the face of the shelves to retrieve items from the higher reaches.

There is a hushed reverence long familiar to the sage elf in his countless hours spent in such places, disturbed only by hushed voices, quiet footsteps, and the susurrus of turning pages. It's a calming, almost entrancing environment.

Caught up as he is in his reverie, Thosar does not hear the pit-pat of slippered feet as he rounds the corner and promptly collides with someone coming the other way. The peculiar-looking man gives a startled cry as he falls to the ground, spilling scrolls every which way. In the steady glow of the alchemical lamps, Thosar can see that the man wears impenetrably dark glasses that cling to his face almost like goggles, and what skin on his face that isn't concealed by his almost comically bushy beard and mustache is red like a boiled lobster. He wears a great floppy hat and silk robes embroidered with constellations and other heavenly bodies, his stooped posture making it so that the hem of it puddles on the floor about his feet.

The man looks Thosar in the eyes as he fidgets with his glasses, and his eyebrows like two wooly caterpillars arches in surprise. ”Thosar?" he says. ”Thosar!" He rushes forward and pumps Thosar's hand in enthusiastic greeting. ”Thosar, my boy! It is so very good to see you safe!"

Recognition clicks into place like the intermeshing of clockwork. This is Professor Vannwinkle, the court astrologer and a passing acquaintance of Thosar's mentor. Thosar has never known the man personally, but is aware of his, shall we say, singular reputation: The man is a bonafide kook, studying the transit of the heavens to discern the future in uselessly vague prophecies that even in the benefit of hindsight turn out to be wrong. He is known to spend a good portion of his time each day staring directly into the sun, which might explain his complexion and the dark glasses.

Despite the seeming uselessness of his profession, the regent has always tolerated the man's presence in court. It's something of an unexpected consequence of his alleged field of study, but Vannwinkle is one of the few people on Somnus who understands the movement of the Oneiroi in the sky well enough to chart what would otherwise seem like the random and capricious tides of the ocean, making him an invaluable asset in the oversight of trade done by sea.

”Lost everything when the castle fell," he mutters as he scoops up the scrolls from the floor. ”Trying to recall as much as I can from memory and the star charts on record here, but so much is gone. Oh so very much is gone, no telling when it might happen now."

Codes updates:

((If DP doesn't want in on the pool, I'll put in the last part. Ludwig is getting that armor one way or another.))
((Well that's all I needed to hear then, Misadventures in Bellows 2.0 here we go!))
With the party having worked out financial matters, a grateful Ludwig sets off to find a place capable of making armor for him. Remembering the mishap from getting his sword treated, he reluctantly heads to the bank to convert his medals to gold, so as to avoid getting rejected over trying to pay with multiple currencies.

At the bank, a gnome is working the currency conversion counter, using his professional knowledge to handle the customers in front of the J'raffa. "Hmm, this diamond has a good shine to it. With the three rubies? Let's see... 10,642.6 gold. Next. "Now this is a lot of mythril. On a good day, this could probably go for half a million gold. I can give you 150 for it right now. Next." "Oh, a huge slab of platinum? Fuck it, 7.2 million gold. Next."

Ludwig eventually reaches the front of the line, noting the customers in front of him showing a spectrum of emotions as they leave. He pours his mix of metals onto the counter and asks "So how much will this get me?" The gnome puts on spectacles, places some of the chunks on a scale while twirling others, and spends about a minute tapping on the counter. "Let's see, an assortment like this? Some goods, some duds, this will net you, pppppppppppppppppp... 254 gold." Ludwig looks dejected for a moment, and says "Well, I did use a portion of it to buy that shrinking potion, so I guess that's fair." He takes the gold, and on the way out, he swears he can hear guards accosting the gnome about sneaking back there and masquerading as an employee. Not thinking much of it, the J'raffa continues on his way.

Ludwig visits several blacksmiths and armor crafters, all of whom balk at making a set of splint armor for something J'raffa sized. One blacksmith eventually points Ludwig in the direction of a specialist tucked away near the docks of the mercantile district that primarily does armor for beasts of war. Ludwig's getting tired of having to use services intended for livestock and other beasts, but someone that makes armor for horses, elephants, and more exotic creatures is probably his best bet.

Ludwig trudges through the mercantile district, past an array of prosperous looking shops, towards a large warehouse-looking building in a rundown part of the district near one of the docks. He opens the sliding door, and to his delight, is able to walk in to the high-roofed building. Looking around, he sees assorted smithing tools, cranes, benches, stairs, and what he assumes are working quarters for the specialist further back in the re-purposed warehouse. What he does not see, however, is any blacksmith or armorer.

"Is anyone here?" Ludwig calls out. He's promptly answered by a rough female voice coming from the back of the warehouse. "Yeah yeah, I'm in. What do ya need done? A war elephant? Armor for a dire wolf? I'm doing a special on horse armor: 250 gold for the first set." "Actually, I'm looking to get a set of splint armor made for myself." Ludwig replies. About ten seconds pass before the woman in the back roars "Is your head not on straight? I deal with mounts and beasts! You're some bumbfuck adventurer looking to get armor made? You're in the general area of a major dwarven city, just throw a rock and you'll find a blacksmith. Shit!" Trying to at least get a price out of her, he says "I already spoke to a bunch of other blacksmiths though, and they told me to come here. They made it sound like you're the only person in Bellows who can get this done for me."

The sound of a table getting flipped echoes through the warehouse as the armorer stomps her way to the front. She unleashes a tirade as she gets closer to the main room. "Has the spire made everyone retarded? What part of 'I do armor for beasts' is so hard to get? Let me fucking spell it out for you so you can go back and tell the shit-brained metal-lickers that sent you here. I D-O- A-R-M-O-R F-O-R B-E-A-S-T-S you..." At this point, the armorer rounds the corner and sees Ludwig standing around. She's a fairly tall, muscularly built half-orc with red hair in what looks like a cross between a blacksmith and a mechanic's garb, her face typically of an irritable expression. That is out the window as she stares up at the J'raffa with her mouth agape, eyes twinkling with the wonder of a kid dropped into a toy store. "You, you magnificent fucking creature."

Trailing off for a second, she snaps back upright and claps her hands together. "Ok, I take that all back, I am exactly the person to make a suit of armor for you. Name's Gorami Goramira. That looks like chain mail you've got on now, looking to jump up to splint? Maybe plate?" "I think splint will do for now," Ludwig says. "Though if things keep going as they are, I'll probably be back here later to get plate armor made." Still visibly excited at making J'raffa shaped armor, Gorami says "Great! Due to your size, it will be a bit extra in materials. If you can give me that chain mail of yours to help with measurements and later re-purpose, I think we can do it for 600 gold. And as a heads up, armor like this ain't built in a day, you're looking at a few before it's good to go." Ludwig reaches into satchel to remove the pooled gold from the party. "This ought to cover it, think you can get started today?" Gorami gives a cursory glance at the gold to make sure it's in the ballpark of 600, then looks up to the paladin and says "Damn straight I can."

[serious smithing music for serious smithing]
Gorami brings out a ladder, measuring tape, a protractor, and assorted other tools mundane and magical that Ludwig doesn't recognize. She scampers around, measuring Ludwig's neck, torso, and legs using both the tape and some kind of laser spell. She holds the protractor up to the J'raffa's flank, writing down numbers while moving it around. After a few minutes, she hurls the ladder across the room, smiles, and gives Ludwig a thumbs up.

After the measurements are down, Gorami takes a bunch of odd, almost squishy balls and sticks them all over Ludwig's body. She then goes to some kind of scrying globe and tells him to walk around the main room. She stares intently at the globe as he does so, and then tells him to twirl, run, trot, and jump around. After a few minutes of this, the eccentric smith nods, telling Ludwig that he can remove the balls now as she's got everything she needs.

Well after Ludwig has left, Gorami is fashioning splint armor and putting them on wooden stilts fashioned to match the height and thickness of Ludwig's legs. Once on, she takes a battleaxe to them. The stilts promptly break, causing her to throw her hands up in frustration and go back to the drawing board.

Later in the process, Gorami has a full J'raffa sized suit made, and is ready to test its functionality. Whipping out a weapon she devised as "for fun" project, a crossbow that fires bolts like a full-auto rifle, she lays into the splint armor. By the time the clip is empty, it's utterly perforated; this suit is a wash.

Cussing up a storm, she wonders where she went wrong. Sure, a J'raffa's different in size and shape from other animals, but not utterly so. She's pretty sure the neck's not throwing things off too much, it's just something about building armor for a more sapient user as opposed to a mount that's throwing her. She looks at the measurements again. The legs are fine. The neck checks out, but had to be thinned to fit the slots for reigns. The torso is reasonably thick and allows for movement while still leaving a proper indentation for the saddle. The helmet, "Waaaaiiiiit. Oh god fucking damnit you fucking dumbass, he's not a mount! That's why this shit keeps failing, you can scrap all these mount modifications you stupid cunt! Always with your force of habit!" Her epiphany continues on loudly for another five minutes, causing a family passing by her warehouse to cover their child's ears and hasten their walk.

More time passes, with Gorami continuing to consult the scryed footage of Ludwig walking as she builds a more proper suit. This one passes the greataxe and auto crossbow test, eliciting a "Eureka!"

Ludwig is eventually called back to Gorami's warehouse. The half-orc eagerly greets him and motions to an exquisite looking suit of J'raffa shaped splint armor suspended by one of several giant cranes. "I've made a lot of good shit in my time, but I've really outdone myself with this one. All the protection and oomph of splint, fit exactly to your body. Now, let's load you up and get it on you, shall we?" "Uh, that's actually fine. I'm plenty capable of putting on my own armor. If you want to see it on me, you can just bring it down and I'll don it." Gorami manages to do the impossible and convincingly pout as a half-orc. "But this is my favorite paaaart! Can't you just have it lowered on all fancy once? Pleeeaaase?"

Ludwig sighs and relents. "Sure, what's the harm?" Practically squeeing, Gorami attaches a harness to Ludwig, runs over to a control panel, and slowly, dramatically has him raised into the air. A few more levers turn him vertical oriented as the splint is slowly lowered down. He's rotated in order to get the pieces on, and when the process is finished, the cranes shoot out a cloud of smoke. As the smoke clears a fully armored Ludwig touches back onto the ground. Gorimi wipes away a tear and says "It's perfect."

Clearly not thrilled about being lifted into the air and suited up like some kind of mechanical project, Ludwig says "Well, the armor seems good, but let's never do that again." Gorimi waves her hand dismissively and says "Yeah yeah, if you decide you want plate armor down the line, hit me up. It'll be a godsdamned pleasure making another suit like that." Ludwig sets off to return to the party, as enough time has been spent waiting for this to be completed.

As Ludwig leaves, a man walks in escorting a horse wearing torn up fragments walks in. "I had a bad run-in with some beasts on the road here, I'm going to need a second set of horse armor." Without missing a beat, Gorimi says "You know the deal, every set after the first one runs 500 gold."

Fhiess' eyes gaze out to the expanse of the gallery, surrounded by the work of the master once more. He soon remembers that now he has the paintbrush he is borrowing from Hogan, a tool that brought history to life, a tool used to create impossible master works of art. People, rooms, events, a mood and atmosphere only the great Nolzur could convey more than life itself.

Then his bag trembles.. Fhiess is startled, "Ahh! What is it?" He sets the bag down and opens it up. He'll try to pick up the box with the paintbrush if it does not tremble too hard, "it's happening again! I'm not just seeing things right?" He turns to see if Rudolph is still nearby, or if he had returned to his post.

((
((Looks right. I would say we should also buy winter clothes, blankets, and healing kits for each person as well as rope gear (block and tackle, couple lengths of rope). This would run us 61.5 gold.
Galen also has a couple more things he is considering, such as grappling hooks; one per rope may be good. Depending on other costs, there is a chance he can take this more as a personal expense.

This price takes into account Ludwig's larger size?

If DP doesn't want in on the pool, I'll put in the last part. Ludwig is getting that armor one way or another.
Galen is up for extra as well.

Been looking at cleric spells for anything of use and found a neat thing.
Fun fact: Shield of faith is a paladin spell and is cast as a bonus action for +2 AC for up to 10 minutes. Nice way to help with durability.
That is nice. Seems to be concentration, but it may be of use in dire times.

Can we just assume that the gang got together for a beer and planned all that before everyone went about exploring the city on their own? And that we'll meet up in said tavern after everyone has done the shopping? Might be as good a place as any to get back into the actual game.
That seems assumable. The party may need a window table, possibly in a corner. Galen will certainly keep an eye out during the their time of revelry; there will be no Aces and Eights this day.

The party does have the haul of fine drinks to make you crazy, so it seems possible they may just pull their drinks from there. Interestingly, Galen is not joining in on the drinking.

Perception for pretty much anything of note during this meeting period:
Even if it seems there will be absolutely nothing of note either way: [5]+5=10

Lost everything when the castle fell. Trying to recall as much as I can from memory and the star charts on record here, but so much is gone. Oh so very much is gone, no telling when it might happen now.

"I must not miss the Massive Burrito and Pie closeout sale!"

Mike:
Your link has an added "[/url"on the end, and it can't find the proper page.

he can hear guards accosting the gnome about sneaking back there and masquerading as an employee.
I thought he sounded like he was making stuff up.

((I also know Phoenix isn't super huge on the RP stuff, and we've been kind of stalled out with it as opposed to actual game mechanic stuff, so I don't want to get to far into more RP before he has a chance to catch up with spendung loot.
But nobody cares about or even likes this game mechanic stuff! They just want to party around a giraffe and be crazy!

Actually, don't listen to me. I rather like game mechanics.))

Keranos spends a few minutes educating the family on the tenets of his belief system. Along the way, he learns their names; the parents are Benjamin and Michael, and their children are Kevin and Laurie.

He gives them one of his Holy Symbols and apologizes that he doesn't have any more to spare, then sends them on their way.

When he is alone and there are no longer any crowds paying him mind, he looks to the skies and speaks in a harsh whisper. "I see you watching me, Usurper," he says. He makes lightning and thunder rumble in the clouds above. "And you do not scare me. I will find you, if you do not approach me first. We will have our reckoning, one way or another."

Another bolt strikes the ground at his feet, as if to punctuate his proclamation.

As the skies darken from the setting sun, Keranos makes for the inn.

((I had a feeling I was forgetting something, and, as it turns out, I was.

At some point, whether this day or the next, Galen would like to make a visit to the Kingsword folks. He would, of course, like to bring Thosar with him, maybe Fhiess, though Sagishi could join if he were so inclined. Sadly, this is meant to be a productive trip to visit government types, and Ludwig may have some issues if he came along.))

“Lost everything when the castle fell,” he mutters as he scoops up the scrolls from the floor. “Trying to recall as much as I can from memory and the star charts on record here, but so much is gone. Oh so very much is gone, no telling when it might happen now.”
Taken by surprise from Vannwinkle's appearance, Thosar takes a few seconds to collect himself before responding. "Vannwinkle! Yes,I'm thrilled you've managed to make it out as well. My road has been a bit longer than yours, but I think providence has brought us s together here.

I myself have made some use of your very exact planetary movements. Perhaps I could assist you with your work... What exactly are you thinking will happen, anyway?"

While intending to take the projection with a grain of salt, the professor's maths could guide him to the real answer. Truly, this meeting may be star crossed.

((I'd be fine visiting the Telmur camp with Galen.))

((Yeah, productive and government can't be in the same sentence with Ludwig. His armor would still be getting built during this, so that makes a good excuse to stay behind. He can get drunk with Nyx and maybe the others who stay behind while that happens or something.))

Mike M

Nick N
Vannwinkle has to crane his neck up to look Thosar in the eyes. Or at least Thosar assumes the man is looking him in the eyes, the dark lenses of the glasses make it near impossible to tell. "Ah, yes!" he says, his eyebrows arching in sudden realization. "Yes, yes, yes, your former master had mentioned in passing that your own studies had some tangential relation to my own work. Such a tragedy, that his life ended in violence. I suppose the ones responsible will never be brought to justice now. Presuming the world survives what is coming, of course."

He adjusts the load of scrolls in his arms to free a hand enough to push the glasses back up his nose. "Tell me, in the course of your research, have you ever come across any references to a phenomenon called the True Night?"

History DC 25:
The term "True Night" doesn't ring any bells at first, but thinking back on it, you did at one point find a fragment of a document pertaining to one of the Somnus's epochal upheavals that mentioned something you had translated as "genuine darkness." "True night" would arguably be a valid translation as well, as the precise etymology of the words are the subject of linguistic guesswork. Aside from this, you have no idea what it is or how it relates to anything.

((history: 1D20+1D4+7 = [15]+[1]+7 = 23
))
Thosar takes a moment to try to remember anything regarding the event, muttering a string of mystic concentration mantras. He comes up with little, something is just on the tip of his tongue but he can't quite tease it out.

"Hmmm. I don't recall anything quite like that. Is this to do with the movements of oneroi? Maybe an eclipse or old prophecy I haven't yet read about that regards the Tower?"

Mike M

Nick N
"Oh, far more than an eclipse my boy. Far, far more." There is another awkward shuffle as he seeks out and unrolls the desired scroll to hold before Thosar. It is recognizable as some manner of star chart, but exactly what it it charts is beyond the scholar's expertise.

"The orbits of the Oneiroi and Somnus are complicated, very very complicated," he says, drawing a red finger across the surface of the scroll in an apparent attempt to describe the movements of celestial bodies. "Each revolving around Nyx at different revolution and rotational speeds, distances, and angles of alignment, the gravity of each affecting all the others in turn. Discerning future events by observing their arrangements in the sky is a delicate art, one to which I have dedicated my entire life. It is... difficult to see the future in any clarity, I admit, and I say that as a man of considerable experience! But as a dutiful astrologer, it is my creed to track them."

There is another shuffle of scrolls, and he displays something that appears to be some manner of itemized list, probably a record of events of some long forgotten year in the distant past organized by individual days. "I have a great many astrological texts of some antiquity, several of which refer to something called the True Night. This is a classical thought experiment designed to challenge fledgling astrologers, to force them to think beyond established paradigms with a single question: How would we foretell future events if the Oneiroi were not in the sky? As I said, it was only ever intended as a thought exercise, merely a hypothetical posed to develop critical thinking skills.

"Or so I always believed."

Vannwinkle is proving himself to be rather deft in the handling of so many scrolls at once, as he finds and presents a third scroll. The surface of the vellum is creamy white, and still smells of ink. Presumably, this is in Vannwinkle's own hand. "The True Night is real," he hisses, casting his gaze about the empty archives in case someone might overhear them. "I've checked and rechecked my figures, and there can be no doubt. There is a time coming where the orbits of the Oneiroi will align in such a way that Somnus will be alone on one side of Nyx, while her sister moons are on the other. Nyx itself will blot out the stars, and we will know a darkness of such absolution that we lack the words to adequately describe it! I had been developing a formula in my observatory to predict the exact day it would happen, but I wasn't able to complete it before the Tower wiped Castle Telmur from the face of Somnus. I've been trying these past few days to recreate my work, but without my texts or my instruments, I fear determining a precise date is hopeless. I only know it will happen soon, but I cannot even say if it will be a matter of weeks or months. Possibly even days."

Vannwinkle's hands shake visibly as he rolls his documents back up and stows them under his arm. "Do you know what the answer to the Postulate of the True Night is? How we determine future events if the Oneiroi have left our sight?

"The answer is that such a thing would mean that there is no future."

As Vannwinkle describes the astrological divinations that merit his expertise, Thosar's stomach drops. He whispers. "Surely, though, this has to have happened before... Perhaps this darkness simply foretells a time that is unknowable, where fate and gods cannot intercede." The sage sighs before speaking again. Everything he has done so far is to stop what's to come, now things are clearly becoming too serious to not risk a little scholarly cooperation.

"I have some charts and tables of my own that I have been using to correlate events from the past. Perhaps they could be of use to you? I will remain a couple days before leaving on an expedition myself and could assist in copying the raw data. In return, would you be willing to show me any discoveries you come up with when I get back?"

Mike M

Nick N
Vannwinkle strokes his beard as he considers Thosar's words. "Perhaps," he demurs. "It would make a certain degree of sense that the fact that any mention of the True Night exists at all would imply that such an event has already happened in times long past and the world persisted to tell the tale..."

It's difficult to say where his gaze lies, but he conveys the distinct impression of someone staring off into the middle distance without focus as he continues to pull on his beard and mutters to himself. After a moment of internal deliberation, he nods curtly as though he has made some sort of decision and turns his spectacled eyes back to Thosar. "I have quarters in the city center," he says. "I have a few things there that I managed to rescue in our flight from Castle Telmur. Hardly much of anything, but better than nothing at all, I suppose."

A silver disc hanging by a length of chain drops from his voluminous sleeve that he catches in his hand. As he lifts it up to study its surface, Thosar can see that it bears some superficial resemblance to a time-keeping device, though it's nothing like any he may have happened upon before. A multitude of arms of varying lengths extend from a central point, each ending in an icon such as stars, moons, suns, comets, etc. Vannwinkle seems to be able to derive some information from its inscrutable machinations and again nods his head.

"The synastry of the Oneiroi are nearly in an alignment that would greatly favor cooperative ventures. If you would do me the honor of coming by the government building tomorrow morning, perhaps we can--well, that is strange..." He flicks the strange device with a finger. "The moon of Keranos is ascendant, but that of Talos remains stuck fast. Such a bothersome device, it seems I am in constant need of having it serviced. Fortunately, there is no shortage of small, quick fingers familiar with complicated work such as this here in Bellows. The one silver lining of this catastrophe..."

Suddenly the box is practically bouncing in his hands, the thumping of its edges against his skin unmistakable as a real feeling at this point.

Is it because of the paintings? Does the old brush of the master wish to reunite with its creation? But what if it lashes out at him because it was trapped in the gift box, denied freedom?

He grips the box tightly, as if trying to calm it down. He considers tipping it open, as if to prove to himself once and for all that the brush is alive, but just as he presses his thumb against the lid, he hears a voice, "Is something the matter?" It is Rudolph.

Fhiess shakes his head, "N-no, something fell out and I had to pick it up," he answers, his anxiousness apparent. He drops the box back into his bag and answers, "It may be better if I arrive later, with fewer belongings burdening me. I've need of a trip to the university," he informs.

<Gonna wait if the paintbrush somehow objects to Fhiess not letting it free. Now I'm thinking of it as a Pokemon, like Klefki>

Thosar nods and smiles. "Very well, I'll be glad to come by then." He notes the celestiometer, gazing at the masterful workmanship and intricate detail of the movements. Pointing out the arms of Keranos and Talos, he adds "...but what if the device *were* functioning properly with those arms moving as intended? Just as a curiosity."

Suddenly, Keranos' boasting and rambling seem less delusional and more relevant to the elf. There is no denying his abilities, but those could be explained by sorceror's blood or a warlock pact... Could he be the real thing?

((Since it may help DeadPhoenix get caught up, I have decided to make a quick list:

Summary of Events, for Those So Inclined:

• The Druid and the Ranger have a combined Animal Handling proficiency of none.
  • Despite Thosar handing out Guidance like candy, the Dire Wolf puppy does not like the group.
  • Christmas is ruined.
  • The party loots the goblin hangout; Ludwig realizes with horror that the free market dictates he must pull the new wagon.
  • Peaseblossom abandons the group.
  • The party sees a little hill with a large feather. Cages have left indentations here.
  • Secret forest passages.
  • The party and Barrow reunite in the woods with magic horses.
  • The group arrives at Bellows to find the gates of Hammerfall shut before them.
  • It is shopping time; Galen, Sagishi, and Ludwig are getting their weapons enhanced in different ways, Thosar is learning magic, and Ludwig is getting better armor. Some important information on cool toys can be found here, and a breakdown of spending money here. The rest of the group is up for pitching in for Ludwig's armor, so he's getting it whether Nyx joins in or not, but she still has the option.

The trip to visit Ludwig's enemies can be whenever Thosar -as well as anyone else who comes along- has the time open; this is probably the next day, but I figure I might as well bring it up.

The synastry of the Oneiroi are nearly in an alignment that would greatly favor cooperative ventures [...]The moon of Keranos is ascendant, but that of Talos remains stuck fast.
Sounds sinister. And apparently the moons are broken, and nobody saw it coming.))

Nezumi

((Hm, I wonder if it might be worth trying to find out more about these rings of red metal and what they might mean but I guess there is technically no enough time left for Sagishi to go to the library and find "Metallurgy for Dummies", or is there?))

((
Hm, I wonder if it might be worth trying to find out more about these rings of red metal and what they might mean but I guess there is technically no enough time left for Sagishi to go to the library and find "Metallurgy for Dummies", or is there?
I figure it could be something interesting to know more about. If Sagishi wanted, maybe he could organize a trip to the library with Galen and Thosar. If the group is spending enough time in Bellows, it certainly couldn't be bad.

Thosar takes a moment to try to remember anything regarding the event, muttering a string of mystic concentration mantras. He comes up with little, something is just on the tip of his tongue but he can't quite tease it out.

"Hmmm. I don't recall anything quite like that. Is this to do with the movements of oneroi? Maybe an eclipse or old prophecy I haven't yet read about that regards the Tower?"
Thosar could ask Keranos; if it has to do with the Oneroi, there is a chance he might have some knowledge of it. Other than that, it would be pretty funny to have Ludwig turn out to be very knowledgeable on the matter.

Yeah, it was explained, but maybe a library trip is in order...))

(( The trip to visit Ludwig's enemies can be whenever Thosar -as well as anyone else who comes along- has the time open; this is probably the next day, but I figure I might as well bring it up.))
((Likely it will be on the afternoon after arriving. Thosar has some study grouping to do in morning. ))

Mike M

Nick N
<Gonna wait if the paintbrush somehow objects to Fhiess not letting it free. Now I'm thinking of it as a Pokemon, like Klefki>

((The box continues to thrum from within, but it doesn't grow any more intense for Fhiess not opening it))

((Hm, I wonder if it might be worth trying to find out more about these rings of red metal and what they might mean but I guess there is technically no enough time left for Sagishi to go to the library and find "Metallurgy for Dummies", or is there?))

((Realistically it'd take a couple days for Ludwig's armor to be made up, so that would give some time for research and street work to figure out a way into Hammerfall.))

---

Vannwinkle fixes Thosar with a querulous look as the silver mechanism disappears up into his sleeve again. "Even supposing that it were possible for the Oneiroi to spontaneously cease their orbits, it would exert no influence over the device," he says. "It's just a mundane celestiometer, a stopped arm means no more than a stopped clock. No, no, I am quite certain it's nothing more significant than a sign that I need take it to the repair shop once more. Quite certain."

From his opposite sleeve, he produces a square of card stock stamped with his seal of office. "Produce this at the gates to the government office tomorrow, and they will see to it that you are allowed inside and shown to my quarters. Fare thee well, my boy. Until the morrow."

Codex updates:

((I don't have any more scenes planned for Keranos out and about in the town. He won't go on the field trip with Galen and Thosar, but he's available if anyone else wants to have a scene with him. They'll be able to find him in a pub in the center of town, near where he was evangelizing. If no one seeks him out, he will chow down and then rent a room for the evening))

Fhiess hurries from the museum, practically fleeing from fear that the brush may escape and cause trouble in the museum that cannot be excused. He pads his way to the university, having made his travels longer and more tiring by embarking on his nostalgic detour.

After a long stride to the school, the artist becomes shy to step onto the campus. He feels almost as though he is no longer welcome knowing that his studies had finished and he had been excused from attendance, but it is an odd paranoia that needs to be overcome. He is sure that if he entered as a visitor, he would be able to speak with somebody with potion brewing knowledge and other scholars that would know about the magical artifact* they received soon after the spire had pierced the soil a proud city once stood.

<*Wasn't Fhiess' original intention to find out more about some kind of crystal that we received when we received our mission after the spire crashed into the city? I need a reminder because it's been so long since I made that an objective for Fhiess>

((
Realistically it'd take a couple days for Ludwig's armor to be made up, so that would give some time for research and street work to figure out a way into Hammerfall.
The more interesting information may also not be found in a library; the significance of the rings may be symbolic of something not written in a book to be readily found, something some shady people might prefer prying minds not touch upon.

Wasn't Fhiess' original intention to find out more about some kind of crystal that we received when we received our mission after the spire crashed into the city? I need a reminder because it's been so long since I made that an objective for Fhiess
You mean this thing?
You know said:
“There is no time,” his voice has grown even more frail as he searches the interior of his cloak with palsied hands. He produces what looks to be yellow quartz crystal about the size of a clay brick and presses it into the hands of the person standing nearest him. It glows softly with a slow pulse.
Whatever magic imbues the crystal is not immediately identifiable, and indeed it seems to have multiple functions running concurrently.

The closest analog that Thosar can most immediately recognize would be the magic that binds a pair of sending stones. The crystal is entangled with something--possibly multiple somethings--but there's no telling what it is on this end of the connection. The signal might conceivably grow stronger as the distance between them decreases.

More disturbingly, it shares characteristics with the magical theories that describe the function of a lich's phylactery. While it is doubtful that it could ever actually serve such a function, it is definitely capable of containing the life-force of living creatures. The steady pulse appears to be the effect of what small amount of power it already contains, but there is no discernible way to unleash it.
Those present with Thosar aside from Barrow hear him in their mind. "I suspect this crystal is what is capable of containing the power of the 'Endowed', whatever form that takes. It may also be a means of determining if one is nearby. There's something else..."
There will be others. You must find them, they must bequeath their power to you, or you must take it by force. Only then can you stand against his Phobic Anima. The child… you must… the child…”

Once we've got expenses settled and I know exactly how much Galen has available, I'll likely have a write up of, well, Galen's ability to have a mundane shopping trip, I suppose.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Sounding like everyone has settled their business for the day? Keranos has nothing else going on, Vannwinkle wanted to see Thosar, Fhiess and Sagishi thinking of getting in some research? That sound about right?))

((Well, if its not to late, I guess I'll pitch in on the armor. Nyx can also get drunk with ludwig, because why would she pass on that? Probably doesn't hurt that i have very little idea on what is going on right now... I really need to figure something out to fix that.))

Nezumi

((Well, if its not to late, I guess I'll pitch in on the armor. Nyx can also get drunk with ludwig, because why would she pass on that? Probably doesn't hurt that i have very little idea on what is going on right now... I really need to figure something out to fix that.))

((Song of Fire made a little summery post for you a few posts up ;) ))

((
Sounding like everyone has settled their business for the day? Keranos has nothing else going on, Vannwinkle wanted to see Thosar, Fhiess and Sagishi thinking of getting in some research? That sound about right?
Seems quite likely; the only extra thing Galen is really looking to do is visit the folks hanging around the tents in that courtyard whenever Thosar -and whoever else- is available.

Axel:
As long as there's plenty of downtime, it should also be possible to build those archer sheilds. If Sagishi is going to be using the Magnetic weapon property, it may also become of more use.

Song of Fire made a little summery post for you a few posts up ;)

It does seem likely DeadPhoenix saw it, but I could try to make a more in-depth one when I have time, should that be desired. In any case, the current events can be boiled down to "The party is shopping and needs to find a way past those gates." ))

(( "The party is shopping and needs to find a way past those gates." ))
((So far, we have alternate gates that are probably heavily guarded and difficult to find OR a climb/swim/spelunk up the waterfall in through the glacier that lies beneath the city. Because neither of those pose difficulty. ))

Mike M

Nick N
((Alright, last call if anyone wants to get a scene at a tavern in for the evening/regroup with the party to share what's been learned before we move on to the next day))

Top Bottom