• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Original post

So this is a game that was at my local arcade back in the day, but I could never get past stage one. Visually it has some nice animation and whacking people with a stone pillar is pretty neat too.
Sadly the game falls apart after the first stage. Later stages are too long and enemies swarm you a lot and many of them have attacks that you can't react to in time to counter or dodge.
Times like these I wish I knew how to code and program so I could rework this game to be less BS as it went on and for attacks to have more impact.
Non the less I did quite enjoy the game, but it is pretty flawed.

Game is available as part of the Irem Arcade Hits collection on PC.

Tizoc

flyer.jpg

This game is part of the Irem Arcade Hits. A 2D shmup set in a fairy tale setting where you play as a wizard or witch who blow up monsters while avoiding bullets. The game gives you a powerful attack where you toss your broom to deal damage even when it comes back to you.
IT's a light cutesy shmup and one that is rather underapprecited. I personally liked it though I ought to play these games 2 player, that was their fun when I played such games back in the arcade :/

Another game in the Irem Arcade Hits collection. Basically Double Dragon set in a sword and sorcery world/setting. The gameplay is pretty basic and really outdated but it has a fantastic visual design especially in its boss designs-

Beating a beat'em-up of the late 80s, it got into BS territory by the 2nd boss onwards and the final stages had really BS boss mobs.
Otherwise though I gotta give it credit for its visual design.

Melkaz

Original post

The update for February is in! I managed to complete 8 more games. One less than the previous month.

#10 Super Mario Bros 3 (3DS) - 5 hours - Finished 04/02/2017 ★★★★☆
4OUAwXn.png

Still a blast to play after all those years.

#11 Rachet and Clank (PS4) - Finished 09/02/2017 ★★★★★
YDBAp6p.jpg

Only spend 17 euro's for it during a PSN sale. Best <20 euro I ever spend on PSN. Would have gone for the plat if the last few weren't grindy(max weapons one for instance).

#12 Hatoful Boyfriend (VITA) - 7 hours - Finished 11/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
Ebq4qW3.png

Terrible port. Would have given this more than 2 stars if it didn't crash every 10 minutes..Should have played it on the PC instead.

#13 Grow Up (PS4) - Finished 12/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
cE8PJar.png

I really liked Grow Home and this game is more of the same but better. Such a charming game.

#14 Steamworld Dig (VITA)- 6 hours - Finished 14/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
0rXOTuw.png

It took a hour or so to get into it but when it clicked it really clicked. Can't wait for Steamworld Dig 2 later this year.

#15 New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 6 hours - Finished 18/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
iB8JwpI.png

Finished all the levels, including the 3 bonus levels. Not a bad game but compared to the other platform games I played this month it felt..lazy? It didn't help that the game had no real difficulty besides a few tricky coins. Still enjoyed playing it but glad I was able to borrow this game from a friend since it's still 40 euro's here.

#16 Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - 10 hours - Finished 19/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
hZFoSft.png

Platforming perfection! I didn't really like the 3ds version of Returns so I put this game on the backburner for the last 2 years. This one definitely delivered even though the game is very difficult. If I have to give one minus it would be the goddamn bosses. Some of them overstayed their welcome.

#17 The Witness (PS4) - Finished 28/02/2017 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
jzuav6w.png

Could have been a 5/5 game if the final level of the game wasn't so annoying. The spinning and color changing puzzles made me sick.

march and April will be tough. Currently playing Zelda on the switch and planning to pick up Nier, Persona 5 and maybe Horizon. not expecting to beat more than 2 games the next 2 months or so. At least I build a decent head start. Oh Sony and Nintendo, please build a Activity log app for the PS4 and Switch. Thanks!

Original Post

12. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
20 hours
header.jpg

While I was a bit skeptical about this game at first (as I am with like 90% of games), this game really surprised me. As the first true CRPG I've played and beaten, this game was a lot of fun and very engaging. The combat was a bit boring at first, but once you got into the rhythm, it was quick and satisfying. Meanwhile, the narrative gives a lot of options inside of its pseudo-linearity. What's more, the game has a lot of character and lore tied to it, which is a huge plus. Overall, a fantastic experience. 9/10

13. ABZU
1.5 hours
header.jpg

I wouldn't really call this a game in any traditional sense, just like Journey, but I think it was a neat experience. I will say, it seemed a try a whole lot less than Journey and has a very humble feel about it. However, when all is said and done, its not really my kind of thing. 7/10

In-Progress and Upcoming Games
Horizon: Zero Dawn - ~10 hours in
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - ~15 hours in
Tales of Berseria - ~6 hours in, co-oping with my GF on the weekends
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Persona 5

After these, I'll have a break from new games for awhile, so I'll focus on some CRPGs. I plan to start with Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age: Origins.

Oreoleo

Main Post

13. Ace Combat Assault Horizon - 8.5 Hours
Nn5CpA3.jpg

Fairly average arcade-style jet fighter game. Dogfighting is reduced to a kind of minigame/extended QTE which was fine for me since I'm new to the franchise, but I can easily see people familiar with Ace Combat being put off by the mechanics. There's some decent variety in the missions, switching between jets and helicopters, and AC-130/bombing run style missions. Despite that variety, the game still overstayed its welcome slightly and could have been 2-4 missions shorter (out of 16). At the end of the day there just isn't quite enough depth to the game for it to be particularly entertaining or interesting.

14. Star Fox Zero - 4 Hours
xzw7Gag.jpg

I guess I didn't get all the jet-fighting out of my system. This game is a straight up remake of Star Fox 64, but with worse controls. Even the end credit sequence is a shot-for-shot recreation of SF64's. Unfortunately Zero is saddled with some overly-sensitive gyro controls that make actually playing the game more often than not, a chore. There are fleeting moments where it all comes together and feels like a real Star Fox game in the best way, but the majority of my time was spent struggling with the game pad. A simple sensitivity slider would have gone a long, long way towards my enjoyment of this game. I'm torn on the game's length. On one hand, 3.5-4 hours is much longer than SF64's 1-1.5 hour long campaign which is nice, but at the same time the length dissuades me from wanting to replay it since it's less easily consumable. But I'm not sure I'd want to replay it anytime soon anyway. An otherwise decent game with bad controls is just a bad game.

OP

Should have posted these sooner, but here's the rest of my February results.

Game 9: Kirby's Dream Land (GB) - 35 Mins (2/11/2017)

#A simple, basic platformer that was alright. It's definitely showing its age, but it's an okay game to play.

Game 10: Killer Is Dead (PS3/X360/PC) - 7 Hrs 35 Mins (2/28/2017)

#This game was alright except the Gigolo Missions. I didn't need those at all in the game, especially since that's the way you unlock sub-weapons and stuff. Combat was alright and style was pretty cool. My brother got it for $8 and it was definitely good for that price. I kinda rushed through the game a bit and didn't really care for the story overall. It was definitely better than Lollipop Chainsaw, but nowhere near as good as No More Heroes for me in regards to Grasshopper Manufacture games.

Rokal

Main Post

February was a lighter month for me with only 3 games completed. I stuck to playing only one game at a time, but focused on new releases instead of my backlog. While I didn't finish as much as I would have liked for this challenge, I had a great time.

Completed

6: Resident Evil 7 - 10 hours
WNG0IhQ.png

I loathed RE5/6 and couldn't see myself every enjoying the series again, so I was pleasantly surprised by this. It reminded me of why Resident Evil felt unique in the survival horror gen back on PSX: player firepower. Where 5 & 6 leaned way too heavily into Action gameplay, 7 really got the balance right by having you feel like you weren't totally defenseless, but the scarcity of items and ammo always made the threat of becoming defenseless feel close by. I played the whole thing in VR and the immersion and sense of scale added so much to the experience. The locations weren't just video game versions of a house, a bathroom, a trailer, etc.: the scale made them feel authentic and real. Likewise, a monster becomes that much more terrifying when you realize it dwarfs you by 1-2 feet and that its claws are longer than your legs.
9/10

7: Steamworld Heist - 13 hours
di2lEPp.png

2D X-COM + Worms is the common and most accurate summary of this game. I was impressed with how much more satisfying the manual aiming was over X-COM's percentage-based combat. Pulling off a trick shot and killing two robots at once when you're almost dead is one of the most satisfying moments of gaming in 2017 so far for me. I don't have any complaints about the game, and the length was basically perfect for my taste.
10/10

8: Nioh - 60 hours
Py5Zg7q.png

I had a great time overall with Samurai Souls. The weapon variety, magic system, and Ki Pulse/combo based combat was super satisfying. That said, the game felt like it could have used some real editing: fewer/better items, fewer/better levels, and maybe even scrapping some of the under-baked weapon types. A few complaints aside, I can easily see myself replaying this at some point, and it's an insane value with the sheer amount of stuff they packed into the game even before NG+.
8/10

Didn't abandon any games this month, so that's the end of my Feb log. After finishing Zelda: BOTW I'll be getting back to my randomized Grouvee backlog for the foreseeable future.

Hikami

Starting pretty late this year, I've been addicted to Final Fantasy XIV for the past few months. Finally getting tired of it though.

Should still be able to get to 52 though I think. Same thing happened last year with Black Desert Online.

1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
4 hours
ieUlNZy.jpg

This is the 4th game in the series. You don't need to play the previous ones but I already had before. This is by far the best one.
Metroidvania meets Dark Souls is what I'd describe it as. Has a great art style and tight gameplay. Loved it.

14160607963178202304.gif

Original post
header.jpg

Beaten in 15 hours
This game captivated me for the best part of two days. Having only casually followed the updates on Kickstarter, I was mildly excited to play this, but after having just finished it off, I'd be jumping back in if it weren't for BotW.

Night in the Woods is an off-beat adventure game following the return of Mae Borowski to her hometown of Possum Springs after dropping out of college. Her day-to-day interactions with family, friends, neighbours and random pieces of scenery are amongst the first things to shine in this game &#8211; she's ridiculous. Every observation she makes, every piece of internal monologue, every single assessment of a conversation is dialled up to the max to make a character whose quirks are comparable to Okabe Rintaro from Steins;Gate (though Mae is so much more deadpan). While this is certainly a positive thing, it did grate me as the game continued (not exclusive to this, Steins;Gate often made me feel frustrated with how Okabe processes things in the story), and only alleviated by the supporting cast. I honestly cannot fault a single character you interact with during this game, as each of their mundane interactions with Mae just seemed so, earnest without being too bleak. As an adventure game, plot is arguably the key element here, so I'll steer clear of even spoiler tagging any synopsis and say it was thoroughly satisfying, if a little loaded by the end. If you've played it yet you'll get the picture.

As far as gameplay is concerned, the general exploration of Possum Springs is what really dragged in the hours of this playthrough, Mae isn't particularly quick and to get the fullest out of each section of the story, you must navigate her across every part of town. While I did get into a nice routine of &#8216;I'll go here and visit Germ, then I'll back-track to see...' it did become tedious after a while, where something like a simple fast-travel between sections of town may have alleviated that. Also, platforming with Mae was a times a bit of chore considering a) her speed, and b) some awkward jumps that require a three jump build up to make &#8211; platforming clearly wasn't this game's strong suit and when the player is engaging with it, it shows. The game does have some very unique and more entertaining minigames (with the exception of a rhythm minigame that consistently floored me every time I attempted it), dabbling in rouge-likes to
knife fights
that add some more flavour to it. Not a whole lot to fault them here, but the weaker aspect of the game when compared to the cast and story.

I'm not too sure how much I like the soundtrack &#8211; it's by NO means bad, but apart from the title screen, I can't really recall any track that really sticks out. Each and every scene had a nice tone setting track but, given how the voiceless dialogue is displayed and the very subtle animations of the cast are always attracting your attention, the music often plays a very low backdrop compared to every other element of a scene. Again, not bad, just not memorable imo.

Like I said at the start, if it weren't for the imminent arrival of my copy of BotW I'd be right back in on this to see what I may have clearly missed in parts. Alas, I'll add it to the list alongside Hyper Light Drifter in games I'm clearly gonna replay again this year.

Overall: 8/10

Massive Edit: to anyone who'll glance over these earlier pages

So BotW came, blew me away in a lot of different (but good!) ways than this, as too did Nier (still working on that), and whilst I write this I'm still not ready to say I've 'completed' enough of BotW outside of the main quest, I still believe I can turn away and look at this again. This game never left the back of my mind this past month. I'd be on the bus to work, I'd stumble into a trail of thought that led to Mae's social anxiety. I'd work and reflect on how I've done certain cringey things very similar to here, seemingly out of nowhere. I'd chase up Shrines in BotW and I'd compare how unattached I was to this cast, spectacularly designed as they are, and the fact I was still lamenting snippets of Angus, Gregg, Bea, Germ, Mom, etc.

I jumped back in, playing an entirely different route than last time, and found whole other facets to NITW's I missed the first time. This game has immense replay value, considering it does not alert you to essential conversations outside of hanging out with Gregg or Bae.

And, 180ing hard here, I wound up buying the OST after a few hours of the second playthrough. I guess the tracks needed to sink in a bit more, but all of the Astral themes are sublime to me now, even the more ominous tracks give such a soothing presence. Scratching that earlier complaint well and truly off the board, and adding to it the game felt just as good, if not better, after giving it a second run, means that 8/10 was too hasty in my eyes now. This is certainly my forerunner for GOTY, it just took a while to realise.

Overall: 9.5/10 (jumping still sucks, sorry)

Tizoc

y8NJoX5.jpg

By Matador this game should've ended 5-10 hours ago...
It starts out OK but the end game just DRAGGED.
It dragged and dragged and it didn't help that my Demons couldn't fuse into anything worthwhile if they're at the Lvl. 75-80 point.
All in all I preferred the original game more, although it had some worthwhile QoL improvements.

3Yjchlo.jpg

This one on the other hand I have stuff I like about it and stuff I totally dislike about it. Among my main gripes of the game is how combatis handled, just trying to land the dang dive kick attack is irritating when an enemy's weak point keeps moving around or the monster itself moves around erratically.
I can see why it is praised, and while its negatives are glaring, I don't think it brings down the game at all. Worth playing at least once and the Platinum seems doable if anyone's interested.

ChryZ

05. Lume (Steam, 2017/02/19, 1.5 hours)

This little point'n'click puzzle adventure didn't aged well: build in flash, weak story (more like a prelude), some puzzles too easy, some way too devious. Lume is definitely not worth its MSRP of 5.99 coins. It seems to be the dev's first commercial game, but knowing State of Play Games from their follow up title KAMI, it's kinda neat to witness their growth and improvement as creators. Lumino City, their third title, should be even better.

06. Lumino City (Steam, 2017/02/25, 4.7 hours)

Yeah, this sequel to Lume is a major step up. It's still a flash game, but that's where the similarities end. Presentation, puzzles, story progression, music, everything makes the prequel look like a rough prototype. The story was a little bit self serving, but definitely serviceable enough to glue the series of enjoyable puzzles together. Outstanding presentation, the whole world looks like handcrafted and filmed with lots of photography artifacts like bokeh out-of-focus areas, depth of field transitions and some lens flare. Nothing is real time 3D and everything is prerecorded. The whole scene interaction is on rails and can result in awkward moments when your character snaps to an unwanted trajectory. I've enjoyed my time with Lumino City, although it's a little bit forgettable overall.

07. Peggle Deluxe (Steam, 2017/02/26, 3.9 hours)

Pachinko on LSD and steroids, so much fun to be had. The best 99 cents I've ever spent.

08. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Steam, 2017/03/07, in-game clock 6.66 hours)

Platinum's latest character action game Nier: Automata reminded me, that I've never played MGR:R. Not sure what quality to expect from the PC port of Nier, I've looked into Revengeance ... two birds, one stone. Bloody hell (literally), MGR:R surprised me in many ways: so much gore, its story isn't taking prisoners (literally), technically brilliant in terms of presentation and gameplay. The whole experience is such a power fantasy, delightful, start to finish: cyborg ninjas, third person sword fights with fighting game controls, big variety of enemies, gigantic bosses, slicing and dicing. My only complaint is how the game is telling you close to nothing about its mechanics. Parry for example, it was "explained" with a 5 seconds button prompt and a brief audio remark. I played half the game without parry and eventually hit a brickwall, when a boss required it. Luckily a bunch of youtube videos filled that information void and provided guidance. Nevertheless, it's a wicked game. Such a shame that Konami's mismanagement negates any chance for a sequel. The PC port of MGR:R is close to flawless, rock solid 60 fps, perfect frame pacing, impeccable image quality with 8xSGSSAA and HBAO+ via the driver. Resolution is capped at 1080p max, but an overwrite mod tool is available for up to 4K.

[index]

Tizoc

airduel-1.png

Another game from the Irem Arcade Hits. Air Duel is a 2D shoot'em up set in grimy post apocalyptic setting.
Standard run of the mill shmup but the enemies are quite unfair in their patterns.

Shadax84

Neo Member
12. Resident Evil 7 - 13.8 Hours
38051_Resident_Evil_VII.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completed On: 6.3.2017
Rating: 8 / 10
Completed the game on Normal.
So after two rather dissapointing parts this is the return to survival horror in the RE series for me. This game is so much better than RE5+6. The first person perspective added a nice terror factor to the gameplay. There are even a few sound samples from old games.

I'm actually doing pretty well (for me) this year. So far I've finished:
Pony Island
Abzu
Journey
Solitarica (finished it with three classes)
DOOM
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow -- Mirror of Fate

I'm well on my to finishing:
Mad Max (final boss)
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS (near final battle)
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
Super Mario Bros. 3 (no, I've never completed it. :O)
Regency Solitaire

I feel like I'm forgetting some, but that will do for now.

watdaeff4

Updated Main Post
24. Ratchet and Clank - PS4
Completed: 3/3/17
TIme: 10ish hours?

I played the original on PS2 so long ago I just remember the general game, and not much specifics so I can't remember how similar this game is to that game. Nonetheless, this was a great game and I couldn't put it down. I was able to play through it in a matter of a couple of days. Very fun game all should try for it's current price.

25. Lego Jurassic World - XB1
Completed: 3/5/17
Time: 12 hours

One of my sons loves dinosaurs and we got this when it first came out. We played it together quite a bit at first then got stuck near the end of JPIII and dropped it. We picked it back up again last month and finally completed the game. The first Lego game I really played. Was ok, he really liked it so there's that.

26. Hitman (PS4)
Completed Main Story Episodes: 3/7/17
Time: 10 hours or so

Bought this during Holiday sales on PSN due to GAF word of mouth. Really liked this game and will keep coming back to it to increase my mastery levels and also play the side content.

27. Halo Wars Definitive Edition (XB1)
Completed Main Story: 3/8/17
Time: 9.5 hours

This is a great console RTS. Had a lot of fun playing through the campaign missions. Probably won't spend much time else with it as I have HW2 to dive into.

28. Saturday Morning RPG (Vita)
Completed all epsiodes: 3/12/17
Time: 8ish hours

This was a really fun on the go RPG. The game is well written, esp for anyone who lived through the 80's. I enjoyed trying out all the different weapons, but I felt like so many of them were garbage. Still, all-in-all, a good game and something I would recommend to any RPG fan and/or older adults like me who would pick up on all the references.

29. King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
Completed: 3/13/17

Going through a lot of fighters this year. I found this one as one of the better ones. Great tutorial as the only other KoF I've played was 2000. I liked the team concept of this series and is nice to be able to mix up the line-up each round in story mode. I played through story a couple times before realizing to really get the whole concept, you need to play through with each pre-selected team...plus the 2 bosses. I'm not for sure if I liked this game that much to do that grind, but will keep playing this here and there.

Top 5 games played this year to date:
1. Arkham Asylum Remaster
2. Arkham City Remaster
3. Legend of Zelda Minish Cap
4. Titanfall 2
5. Hitman

Currently Playing:
Nier: Automata

Original post

q6kb0Q1l.jpg

10. Yakuza 5 (PS3, 2015) - 69:44
Completed the campaign on Normal. All side stories and all but one substory (you know the one that's missing) completed. 39.22% total completion.

Okay, first, let's get this out of the way: I would absolutely pay money for an alternate reality Yakuza game where this happened. Hey, if Sega can make a Yakuza with zombies, surely they can give me a Yakuza where Haruka wrecks everyone's shit while manly yakuza men sing enthusiastically in the background.

Back to the Yakuza 5 we actually got: it seems clearer to me now that Yakuza 0 was an attempt to rein in some of the excesses of Yakuza 5. Where the most recent Yakuza (in North America) is a tightly paced, streamlined affair, Yakuza 5 is wildly ambitious and sprawling. It's a beautiful mess, trying to do way too many things at once and yet somehow pulling off a lot of it.

The easiest way to think of Yakuza 5 is not as a single game, but four separate mini-Yakuzas. The first and last part before the finale are the ones that most obviously resemble part Yakuza games; as Kiryu and as Shinada, you mostly roam the city completing missions, playing minigames, and busting up punks. But even there, Yakuza 5 provides a twist: both sections play out in different areas of Japan, and in fact Yakuza 5 manages to avoid Kamurocho entirely for 90% of its running time, save a single short section. Saejima, Haruka and Akiyama offer larger departures from the traditional Yakuza gameplay, and while these experiments don't always pan out, they are if nothing else imaginative departures.

Haruka's section in particular is maybe the dodgiest part on paper--it's safe to say no one comes to a Yakuza game to pretend to be an idol, except maybe me because I found it one of the most intriguing things about Yakuza 5's announcement way back when. But her section of the game is refreshing and fun to play, while somehow remaining tonally consistent with the kinds of stories usually told in a Yakuza game. Indeed, one of the takeaways from Part 3 is that showbiz is just as cutthroat and mercenary as organized crime. It also contains perhaps the only Yakuza minigame that really loses a lot in translation--the comedy club minigame is so dependent on proper timing, which in turn requires you to listen carefully to Japanese dialogue that will be complete gibberish to most of the North American audience. And yet, strangely, it's also one of my favourite minigames, in part because of how it falls apart for people who don't understand Japanese (of which I am definitely one).

Probably the biggest criticism I have of Yakuza 5 is that it fails to stick the landing narratively. Yakuza games tend to save a lot of plot twists for the end, but 5 takes this to a whole new level. It doesn't do the most convincing job of explaining why all the characters are together at the end of the game (or necessary for the plot, really), and some of the twists feel like a bridge too far. Coming off Yakuza 0, which mostly earns its wild ending, the way Yakuza 5's story unfolds is a little disappointing by comparison. It's also not the best performing PS3 game ever; especially in Nagoya, the framerate can take a big hit during fights.

But none of that is enough to mar what is essentially a very good Yakuza game. It might not be the best Yakuza game you'll ever play, but even an okay Yakuza game is pretty damned good.

Tizoc

Original Post

Gunforce is a 2D Run n' gun much like Contra. The visuals are pretty drab and the gameplay is OK at best.
As a fan of Metal Slug I had heard about this game but never played it so was glad to see it being part of the Irem arcade hits.

Now THIS game, is a far better one than its predecessor. The graphics are a little better and this game is about as much as a precursor to Metal Slug than any other. There are audio samples that are used from this game into metal slug for one thing, and there are scantly clad damsels in distress which you save as well. They don't give you weapons but they add to your final or total score. In Metal Slug they would be replaced with POWs who give you useful items among other things.

I vastly prefer Metal Slug's cartoony look though but this game has a nice style otherwise.
The bio mechanical monstrosities that show up by the final levels were pretty whack though

All in all a solid and fun Run n' gun.

In the hunt is a 2D shooter where you control a submarine. Much of the action takes place underwater and you only have 2 attacks: Forward and Upward torpedoes. Far as I've palyed you can't have your artillery fire downards on turn around to fire at enemies behind you.
I didn't really enjoy this game much and just kept holding right, ignoring enemies just so I can finish it. There is potentiel for a 2D shooter using a sub buuuuut this game didn't do it for me tbh.

Master post (WP)

17. EarthBound (~35 hours)
EarthBound is probably in the top three most talked about retro video games on NeoGAF. So what is it that makes EarthBound so special? Well, after a couple times playing the game never making it out of the first town, I decided to try to figure that out. What is my conclusion? The game has charm. EarthBound is an RPG set in a different time and place than most all other RPGs with a lot of personality in it’s characters with satisfying but challenging combat.

What makes EarthBound unique among RPGs is it’s setting. EarthBound takes place in a 90’s take on America. There are game arcades, pay phones, hospitals, and ATM machines, among other modern conveniences. Still to this day, quaint suburban American towns aren’t a common setting for the latest AAA titles. What makes EarthBound fun and funny are the people you meet. For example, you have a neighbor who dug an underground cave through the floor of his house looking for treasure. The doctor at the hospital, after curing you of your ailment says “Look at what a great doctor I am!” There’s a cult in the game, obsessed with the color blue, that chants “Blue blue”, except one of the followers says “Green green”, only to immediately say “Sorry! I’m new to this”. The writing is very simplistic but these sort of silly characters and jokes give EarthBound it’s personality.

The game starts with a meteor that crashes outside your house. When you approach the meteor, a bee that was carried by it comes to you saying it’s from ten years in the future to tell you you must stop the alien invasion. To do so, you must collect melodies in a sound stone at eight sanctuaries throughout the world. After a fight with the aliens where the bee really gives the aliens a whooping, the bee dies when your next door neighbor swats it (go figure). As you progress through the game, you see that the aliens have turned people, animals, plants and objects into your enemies.

Combat revolves around facing these alien-possessed enemies and taming them, turning them back to normal, or destroying them completely. The combat takes place in the first person, with your health and magic meter on the bottom. The combat is turn-based, and you can choose to do the usual stuff in combat, like attack, defend, use an item, or use magic. Combat, in a word, is grindy. Enemies can do a heck of a lot of damage to you when you first encounter them. Don’t be surprised if you have to do a lot of combat over again because you’ve lost all your HP to a tricky foe. You’ll soon realize that the best approach is to do a little fighting, then going back to the nearest hotel to heal up, then go back to the area where you just were and progress a little farther. I didn’t mind this, as grinding is actually one of my favorite things about RPGs, but for some, this may be a nuisance.

As long as you put the time in to grind levels, boss fights shouldn’t be a challenge. Unlike many JRPGs, you see your enemy before you fight them. If you're high level enough -- usually after beating a boss -- enemies will run away from you. If an enemy isn’t facing you and you enter combat, you get the first round of attacks. If you’re so high level that you’re practically guaranteed to win, you don’t enter into the combat view at all. The prompt in the game just says “YOU WIN” and tells you the experience points you received. All told, the combat isn’t the most robust of any RPG out there, but it’s serviceable, and you get that same satisfaction when you level up enough to beat foes in a given area with ease.

The music like the game itself can be quirky. But at the same time, there are some genuinely great tracks in the game. The game features a band, the Runaway Five, which is almost without question, a Blues Brothers tribute. There’s also at least one mention of The Beatles in the game. When you’re playing a game from the 16 bit era, graphics only go so far to set an atmosphere. The music is generally light and airy, and fills in the rest of the game’s atmosphere pretty well.

EarthBound is long. I must have played for 35 hours. Truth be told, it sort of slogs at the end, with your characters frequently revisiting towns to pick up some doohickey or to fight a boss. At the same time, I found the very end of the game to be endearing. Ultimately, I think the game could have trimmed a lot of fat, with more of an emphasis on just getting the eight melodies for your sound stone and facing the final boss. This is my biggest complaint about the game. You’re too often doing stuff that’s more like a side mission than something critical to the game’s story.

Finally though, now I think I get EarthBound. I understand why it’s fanbase is so fervent. It’s modern day setting sets it apart from other RPGs of it’s time, even leading into the 32 bit era. Also, the game has a great sense of humor that’s been translated well into English. Really, there’s nothing else quite like it. Personally though, I feel no drive to play the game again. I’m mostly just happy that it’s cleared from my backlog. There’s always the fan translated Mother 3, but I think I’ll try less atypical video games next.
4/5

Aquova

Game 14: Day of the Tentacle Remastered

System: PC
Year: 2016 (Originally released 1993)
Developer: Double Fine/LucasArts

Overview
In the most recent Humble Bundle, I got a metric shit ton of new games. Most of them I had never heard of, but one of them stood out to me. Day of the Tentacle considered one of the great point-and-click adventures from that PC era long gone. The game is definitely a relic of the 90s, with art style and character design to boot, but that's not a bad thing.

Gameplay
It's a typical point-and-click game. You control one of three characters trapped in different time periods, and explore different locations to find items that help progress the story. The items can be swapped between characters, adding to the complexity of the puzzles.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • The game is still funny. Even thought the jokes were written nearly 30 years ago, they still hold up pretty well. There is a bit of gross out humor, and the characters are very 90s-typical, but it ages surprising well.

Cons:
  • Some of the puzzles are really unclear. While many puzzles are tough, they make sense after you discover the solution. There are others, however, that are honestly confusing and don't make any sense. The only way you could figure out the answer is trying every remaining item you have until something finally works.

Rating

Good

A fun relic of an age past, Day of the Tentacle is a funny, clever game that I would recommend to anyone who wants to fill out their gaming history.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Main post

-------

11. Ubersoldier II - 4.5 hours
Low-budget Wolfenstein clone from 00s, with health kits and superpowers. Story doesn't make any sense, but game is fun to play for the first hours if you don't mind old-school FPS gameplay. Unfortunately, it become worse closer to final missions, but i guess it's still an okay game to play if you don't know how to spent your time while waiting for new Wolfenstein.

Falchion

Original Post

12) Frog Fractions - 1 hour - 3/10
I saw the documentary about this game on NoClip so before I watched I went ahead and played through it. Definitely don't want to spoil anything but I think it's safe to say this game is bonkers and made me laugh out loud several times. Well worth checking out and go in as blind as possible.

Aquova

Game 15: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

System: Wii U
Year: 2017
Developer: Nintendo

Overview
The long-awaited next installment in the Zelda series is one I've been waiting for for a long time. Does it live up to the hype of a new Zelda game? Or does it fall flat. Spoilers: The first one.

Gameplay
While it has some of the typical Zelda mechanics, the game introduces a wide variety of new features. Expendable weapons, shields, and bows that can only be used for a number of hits before breaking, with each having their own stats. You can now climb on nearly every surface, opening the game up entirely. Heart pieces are gone, the Master Sword is optional, everything is crazy.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Literally everything.
  • The game is visually stunning.
  • For nearly everything, if you think of something, you can do it. Nintendo put a great deal of thought into what the player would want to do and made it possible.

Cons:
  • The plot, while really good, feels a bit shallow. I like what they did with it, but all of the good plot is given in flashbacks, living Link to hang out with the B-team in the present.
  • The bosses, while good fights, aren't interesting visually. I would've like more varying bosses instead of the visually similar theme they went with.

Rating

Incredible

Easily the best Wii U, and possibly the best Zelda game overall. This is a must have game for any Nintendo fan.

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

dickroach

TK9o5yY.jpg

I think I played it for around 35 hours. All four divine beasts, 50 shrines, like 40 korok seeds. the shrines were puzzles were using the same 3 elements over and over, there were no dungeons, the bosses were bad, the ending was really dissapointing.
if I played 3 video games a year, I would have liked this game a lot more, and would probably end up discovering every single nook and cranny of the world... but I don't really want to run around a giant map for 100 more hours to find the rest of the stuff.

I need to hit up something small after playing this and Lost Odyssey back to back. ;\
OP

Tizoc

Original post

header.jpg

Raiden III is a traditional arcade shoot'em-up that I've had for quite some time and only just now got off my lazy ass to finish :p I quite enjoyed this shooter and its visuals and music are pretty good. While it doesn't have the best gfx options for a game released on PC, IMO it runs wells enough and is a fun shooter for anyone who prefers traditional style shoot'em-ups.

Game 15: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

System: Wii U
Year: 2017
Developer: Nintendo

Overview
The long-awaited next installment in the Zelda series is one I've been waiting for for a long time. Does it live up to the hype of a new Zelda game? Or does it fall flat. Spoilers: The first one.

Gameplay
While it has some of the typical Zelda mechanics, the game introduces a wide variety of new features. Expendable weapons, shields, and bows that can only be used for a number of hits before breaking, with each having their own stats. You can now climb on nearly every surface, opening the game up entirely. Heart pieces are gone, the Master Sword is optional, everything is crazy.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Literally everything.
  • The game is visually stunning.
  • For nearly everything, if you think of something, you can do it. Nintendo put a great deal of thought into what the player would want to do and made it possible.

Cons:
  • The plot, while really good, feels a bit shallow. I like what they did with it, but all of the good plot is given in flashbacks, living Link to hang out with the B-team in the present.
  • The bosses, while good fights, aren't interesting visually. I would've like more varying bosses instead of the visually similar theme they went with.

Rating

Incredible

Easily the best Wii U, and possibly the best Zelda game overall. This is a must have game for any Nintendo fan.

---

TK9o5yY.jpg

I think I played it for around 35 hours. All four divine beasts, 50 shrines, like 40 korok seeds. the shrines were puzzles were using the same 3 elements over and over, there were no dungeons, the bosses were bad, the ending was really dissapointing.
if I played 3 video games a year, I would have liked this game a lot more, and would probably end up discovering every single nook and cranny of the world... but I don't really want to run around a giant map for 100 more hours to find the rest of the stuff.

I need to hit up something small after playing this and Lost Odyssey back to back. ;\
OP

Two reviews that couldn't be more different.

I couldn't be more excited for BotW, but if I did play it for this challenge, I'd need to throw in some short games like the latter poster said.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if the "pros" are "LITERALLY EVERYTHING" than there would be no cons. You just said literally everything is a "pro"

megalowho

Original Post

#10. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (PC) - March 5 - 14 hours

I grew up with Tex Murphy adventure games, and this is certainly Tex Murphy in all his bumbling P.I., Sci-Fi B-Movie, 90's FMV point and click glory. The first half of the game is stronger, with the mystery at hand still unraveling and good balance between puzzles, conversations and cutscenes. Later on it becomes a bit of a slog in a few key locations that feel overdesigned, while the story takes a turn towards the nearly indecipherable. Still a relatively successful throwback with low budget heart and a minor miracle that it even exists at all.

#11. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) - March 5 - 15/15 Achievements

Pleasantly surprised by how much I took to this one. It mostly starts and ends with the core gameplay loop - turns out a fast paced, smaller scale SRPG is a pretty fun concept for mobile. They nail the sweet spot of rounds lasting just long enough to satisfy while leaving room for just one more (until the timers kick in). I ended up messing with all of the modes equally for the different rewards they provide, there's a fair amount to do. The hero list is huge, the F2P and gacha mechanisms are there, and yea I bought some orbs in a fit of weakness but in hindsight I'm ok giving them some cash for the hours spent.

#12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - March 11 - 60+ hours

Enchanting and engrossing; a masterpiece of the medium. The joy of pure exploration, line of sight discovery and emergent, open world moments married with Zelda's refined approach to action-adventure and puzzles, with a host of twists and new/borrowed mechanics to keep things fresh.

The richest interpretation of Hyrule to date, infused with a melancholic coziness reminiscent of Studio Ghibli and fitting for the nostalgic yet disorienting setup the game places you in. Every village and region fits the larger whole - NPC's, layout, local culture, and music are all superlative and distinct. And while the core mission sequences are some of my favorite in the series, writing your own stories off the beaten path is where the game shines. Hell, I decided to climb an intimidating and seemingly unremarkable mountain for no reason other than curiosity before storming the castle, thinking I'd seen most of what the game had to offer, and was left marveling at just how many secrets were left to uncover.

The framerate hits can be rough, cooking and weapon management could use some QOL tweaks, rain could be dialed back by 20% or so. Despite the acclaim it's not for everyone's tastes, with broadly paced game design that isn't afraid to be offputting or actively hostile to the player when called for. But this is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo put some magic in this one.

Hateno Village

Currently Playing:
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)

illusionary

Two reviews that couldn't be more different.

I couldn't be more excited for BotW, but if I did play it for this challenge, I'd need to throw in some short games like the latter poster said.

I suspect that many (most?) of those enjoying it most will be playing it for much longer than those who've been in a position to post it as complete here for this challenge. I'm playing through it myself at the moment, but still fairly early on (at the first divine beast). Now, Zelda is my favourite game series of all time, so by all means take this with a pinch of salt, but I'm very much in the "incredible" camp with this Breath of the Wild.

And as for how it fits in to this challenge for me, well, I'm ahead of pace at the moment (16 games complete), so I can afford to fall back a bit with Breath of the Wild :p I've also got a few smaller games on the go at the same time to keep things ticking over.

megalowho

I suspect that many (most?) of those enjoying it most will be playing it for much longer than those who've been in a position to post it as complete here for this challenge. I'm playing through it myself at the moment, but still fairly early on (at the first divine beast). Now, Zelda is my favourite game series of all time, so by all means take this with a pinch of salt, but I'm very much in the "incredible" camp with this Breath of the Wild
Definitely the case for me. I was compelled to see it through and get my thoughts down, but I'll be playing for a while to come.

NHale

Game 11 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
After playing the multiplayer beta I would never thought this would be a 4/5 game for me. I don't care for zombies and this game is no different, the multiplayer is so bad that only a couple of weapons are actually used (add the fact that gun variants unlocked via MT or keys obtained in game is terrible idea). What saves the package is the campaign especially after the boredom of stupidity that was COD: BO III campaign. Mission variety, optional side missions, the feeling that this could be a introduction to deep RPG elements to COD. Also the best bot featured in 2016, yes better than the bot in Titanfall 2...

Game 12 - Starwhal &#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
What might look like a simple party game can quickly transform into a impossible game to play with friends because the controls are really hard to learn which eliminates the main purpose of the game: being a party game.

Game 13 - Battle Islands: Commanders &#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
I don't have a problem with F2P games with microtransations but this game actually went all in into the P2W mechanic wrapped like a cheap Hearthstone knock off because you are matched with players with much better cards which gives them a huge advantage that you can only overcome if they are terrible, sleeping or you buy cards using money.

Game 14 - Tiny Troopers Joint Ops &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
Game could have been much better without the padding especially on the soldier campaign. I can only destroy enemy buildings for so long before getting bored with the same mechanics over and over again.

Game 15 - Invisible, Inc. &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
At first it looked like XCOM wrapped into a Transistor art design but it never develops fully into that fantastic potential. Deaths are not an option to the point where you spend a lot of time rewinding which almost feels like a cheat instead of a feature. Unfortunately it's a feature that allows the game to become playable.

Game 16 - Titanfall 2 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
I'm not a huge fan of the campaign despite being really well designed and paced, while mixing parkour elements, titan gameplay (a little less than I would desire) and some crazy ideas brought together from other games. The fact that they aren't unique really make me not enjoy the campaign as much as others but it's still good. Unlike COD:IW the multiplayer of Titanfall 2 is really fun but doesn't reach anywhere near the high points of BF1, Rainbow Six Siege or COD4. I hope Respawn uses all their talent to make another current era war game...

Game 17 - The Little Acre &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
A good point and click game with really good animation, some funny setpieces and medium difficulty puzzles. A little bit short but I really enjoyed the game.

Game 18 - The Bunker &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;
I really have a strange relation with this "game". Is it a game considering it's basically a film with some choices without great consequence ala Telltale games? But at the same story the C-tier acting/voices still aren't enough to make the story less interesting. The game really builds itself as something and slowly the truth reveals itself as something else. A really clever use of the FMV to tell a story that is barely interactive but at the same time made me wonder if Telltale would be better if they just used FMV...

theBmZ

Original Post

8. A Dark Room(iOS) - 8/10. 4.5 hours
This is a replay of a fantastic mobile game that came out a few years ago. It's a text based survival and resource management game. You wake up in a mysterious dark room and start a fire. There is a forest nearby that you can harvest materials from. People will eventually settle in your area and help you harvest materials. You start to build a community and realize there is more beyond the forest. Once you have the proper gear, you can venture out and discover different places and start to put together the mystery of the game. The game is very minimalist. The writing is great. There are many items to craft and discover, all of them useful. Without spoiling anything, even though its just text based, the game can get quite intense at times. The central mystery of what is going on in the game, is slowly revealed throughout the game. It all leads to a memorable ending. I don't really care for mobile games at all, but this is one I'd recommend to everyone. If you like survival, or resource management games, this is a good one.

Next Games - The Walking Dead: Season One, Skyrim: Special Edition, A World of Keflings

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Master Post

Furi (PS4)
UYuSdP8.jpg

Pattern reading and parry-centric gameplay in its most simple, no-nonsense form. Very "digitalised" but rewarding once you suss it.
The walk and talk (listen) segments were narcissistic, and I had little interest in the story by the end.

Aiming to finish by April:
For Honor (PS4)
Nioh (PS4)
Remember Me (PS3)

Recently acquired:
For Honor (PS4)
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

Notes:
Two surprise entries this month as a buddy and I couldn't help splashing out.
Horizon is simply awesome and will be a slow burn.
The For Honor campaign is also surprisingly fun. Much more likely to finish that than Nioh this month.

1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
14160607963178202304.gif

This looks really cool! Is it (or will it be) available on consoles?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
#11 Dragon Quest 8, 3DS
Finished this for like the 4th time. First time on 3DS. Married Jessica just because.still one of the greatest games of all time.

#12 The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Nintendo Switch
Speaking of one of the greatest games of all time. This game is completely captivating. I was legitimately sad to see it end.

#13 Super Bomberman R, Switch
Finished the campaign with my daughter. A lot of fun. I wished it were longer. But still a great Bomberman.

Oreoleo

Main Post

15. Race The Sun - 5.5 Hours
IJtMcDx.jpg

Essentially Tiny Wings (anyone remember that one?) filtered through a SNES Star Fox aesthetic. A really great, relaxing game to revisit every once in a while to kill 20 or 30 minutes. The levels are randomly generated, refreshing with a new seed every 24 hours, so while you won't rack up a ton of play time in one sitting, there's some built-in longevity as every day the game changes. The challenges for leveling up add some nice variety so there is more to do than just score attack over and over. Not a lot to it but it really nails what it's going for, and there isn't much else like it so it's definitely worth a look.

16. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - 18 Hours
Y1G7ePq.jpg

Man, talk about a game I never, ever would have expected to play. I don't watch One Piece (or really any anime for that matter, with rare exception), I've never really clicked with a musou game before and yet, this game gripped me hard. At my most charitable I could describe it as a surprisingly competent character-action game with a TON of characters and a focus on tactics/territory control instead of big flashy set pieces and bosses. I was also surprised to discover (about halfway through my play time) a mechanic similar to Bayonetta's dodge offset that lets you chain combos together at a much faster pace to crank up the heat. The game can be a mindless beat-em-up if that's what you want but there's actually some depth to the mechanics that kept me completely engaged throughout. Still, the appeal here is pretty niche so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you know what you're getting into.

17. Kuru Kuru Kururin - 8 Hours
1fLHTsZ.jpg

Been waiting 15 years to play this ever since Nintendo decided not to release it in the US for the GBA launch. Absurdly simple mechanics (navigate this spinning rod through the level, don't touch any walls) put to great use thanks to the game's excellent level design. The difficulty was spot on, never getting too fiendishly difficult (well, maybe it did a few times) but also not wasting a ton of time on easy tutorial levels. My one and only complaint is an obstacle introduced in (I think) the second to last level: cannonballs. The entire game is built around observing your surrounding, waiting for the right moment for an opening, and being quick and exact in your execution. But the cannonballs throw all that right out the window since they track your positioning. Suddenly, instead of being able to take levels (mostly) one obstacle at a time and watching for patterns or openings, you're forced to stay on the move and be both more proactive and reactive in regards to what's going on around you. It doesn't sound so bad on paper but in practice it felt cheap, like suddenly failing wasn't my own fault but more because the game changed the rules established over the past 7 hours. Thankfully it was only 2 out of 30+ levels that were affected by it so it's not a deal breaker, but it was a maddening, hair-pulling end to an otherwise sublime experience. That said, the wait was worth it.

18. Pushmo World - 14 Hours
MvvarpF.jpg

I like this game. I do. But holy shit, the late-game puzzles are so hard it retroactively ruined the first half of the game for me. Staring at the screen for minutes at a time trying to figure out what to do, or repeating the same steps over and over trying to figure out what to do differently is NOT FUN. AT ALL. Basically, I hate how stupid this game made me feel. Pushmo World found a great balance in difficulty somewhere in the middle, then zoomed past it and turned the game into a chore. I'm really curious if the first Pushmo suffered from the same thing or if this is more of a "We have to make the sequel harder!" deal. It's a shame, I was so excited to play this when I got my WiiU as it's a great concept and I don't have a 3DS to play the original, but now all I feel is bitterness towards it.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Beat the game on Original mode. The longer it got the more bullets were on screen. Still dodging bullets really felt like I was the Force so it was a fun experience still.
Personally I enjoyed both Raiden games on Steam and would love for the rest of the series to get on there too.

Master Post (WP)

18. Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (~25 hours)
I've never played an Infinity Engine game before I played Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. Infinite Engine games have long been considered some of the best games the PC has to offer. Some games are remembered more fondly than others, such as Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. I'm not sure what drove me to play Icewind Dale first, other than remembering reading somewhere that it's fairly short. So what do I think of the game? It's a good RPG with often unforgiving combat, but it has well written dialog and interesting side quests.

There's a story to this game but it's really not worth mentioning. This game has more in common with Diablo than your typical Western role-playing game. Orcs, yetis, giants, and more are wreaking havoc on the land, and you go from the comfort of a town to the wilderness to fight these monsters. The combat is really unforgiving. The game sort of plays itself, as in your party of up to six will just automatically attack the nearest enemies, but you can pause the game and dictate individual character actions. Due to the game's intense difficulty, two of my characters died in the first skirmish of the game.

You can revive your characters at a temple, but it was 100 gold per character to do so at the first town's temple, which was more than I could afford after outfitting my team with weapons and armor. Perhaps it was just a bad dice roll, but every time I went into the first battle, the same two characters died. I did some internet searching to learn that the game has a difficulty slider (not sure if this is unique to the enhanced edition) in the options that you can lower. Set it all the way to the bottom, and you're pretty much invincible. I felt a little cheap spending a lot of time playing this way, but I couldn't get past the normal game's difficulty. No matter how good the armor was, the same two characters would die. Maybe I just needed to drop them from my party (which you can do).

The game starts by being in a town, finding out that the town has a problem (a caravan of goods hasn't arrived) and leaving the safety of the town's walls to investigate what happened. There comes to be a deeper story by the second town, and in the second half of the game, you're mostly in dungeons. There are side quests in the towns as well as dungeons, which are usually worth doing as they net you a lot of experience. The side quests are fun, and range from clearing a cellar of a rodent problem, to getting an innkeeper to admit to town elders he took the inn against the will of the previous owner. I found side quests gave the game's character's personality and added nicely to the story. I was disappointed to learn that in town, for the more generic of townspeople, the dialog options are exactly the same between all of them. I understand Icewind Dale is really mostly about combat, but it would have been nice if the individual characters all had unique dialog options.

Almost every enemy you face in the field has some sort of loot on it, and if you're in a dungeon, there is loot scattered about there as well. There is so much loot that it's usually not worth carrying all of it back to town, as you only have so much space in your inventory. This means cherry-picking the good stuff, and selling the rest to the local blacksmith or general store keeper. I found that after the first town, there's enough high quality loot in the dungeons that you don't need to spend a lot of time in the stores picking items.

The game still looks good graphically. I assume a lot of the art is hand drawn, and it still looks sharp. I don't know a whole lot about what changed in the Enhanced Edition, but there's been an increase in supported resolutions. Also, there have been some interface tweaks, which I wouldn't know about having not played the original game. One cumbersome thing about the interface is not being able to do a side-by-side comparison of two pieces of armor or two weapons. You need to right click to get an item's stats. Other than that, I have no qualms about the UI.

I enjoyed my time with Icewind Dale. I can't help but feel I would have had a lot more fun playing multiplayer. I tried researching to see if you can actually play with six people, but I didn't find a conclusive answer. Even so, two player co-op would have been more enjoyable than a single-player go. The game is good for fans of games like Diablo and Torchlight, with a difficulty level that can be punishing. All told, it's an enjoyable RPG that would be made better if played with a friend.
3/5

Dyna

My main post.

L4pSJHZ.png

07 | Hollow Knight | PC
31 hours | Completed March 13th

An amazing indie metroidvania! Great artstyle, great soundtrack, great gameplay, great animations... God, this game is just so good. Quite reminiscent of the Dark Souls games in some ways. I took my sweet time with it (picked it up on release day), got an 82% completion rate but I'm definitely going to keep playing and try to go for the 100%. My biggest gripe with the game was the frequent FPS drops but most of the stuttering was fixed in the latest patch. There's also a lot of backtracking and walking around already explored areas but overall that didn't bother me too much. There's a lot to do in the world and a whole lot of cool areas to explore, if you enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest and the like this is right up your alley. It also only costs 15€, that's basically a steal for a game with this much great content. Great, great game!

14. Grow Home: Thankfully this was a short game. I was starting to get tired of it after 2 hours and it ended not long after. I disliked the controls and although it was a fun concept it just didn't grab me. It's a shame as I had heard good things about it.

Original Post

Zelda is going to really make it hard to finish anything for a while, so I might try to slip in a shorter game here and there. That's how Epic Pinball made it on here, as it's easy enough to experience quickly.

QDELogo.JPG

10. Quake:Dissolution on Eternity (PC) 2/12/17
Not a bad expansion. Not as good as the original, but I really enjoyed all the new things it tried. You could tell they were trying to make the levels more unique. I don't know if it flowed as well, but still nice.

SuperMarioRunLogo.png

11. Super Mario Run (iPad) 2/19/17
It was fun enough for what it is. Doesn't hold a candle to any Mario game with physical controls, but one of the few mobile games I've finished, so it gets credit for that.

Day_of_the_tentacle_hd_screenshot.png

12. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) 2/28/17
Good lord this game is cryptic. I was not in the right mindset for a 90s adventure game, so I resorted to a walkthrough. I think that kind of ruined part of the fun of the game for me though.

epicpinball3.gif

13. Epic Pinball (DOS PC) 3/13/17
I've been playing this one since I first built my DOS PC, and it's one of my favorites. I finally got a high score on each table, so I'm counting that as beating the game. Honestly this might be my favorite pinball game. It's not really realistic, but it's fun. Most of the original tables are really fun (the ones from the later table packs are pretty hit or miss though), and the music is really dang good, and it's really worth tracking down a sound card with a real OPL3 chip on it.

Seriously though, this music! O_O
Excalibur
Super Android
Crash and Burn

Karu

OP --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=553

13. Reigns
~?? Hours
It's a cute game and sometimes rather funny, but overall the game is way too long and leads to boring repetition of the same content over and over again till you hit certain milestones. Really soured me on the game overall. Still worth a look, though. Chances are you will love it for that price.
2/5

Plan for the Future in the next few month
Final Fantasy VI
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Persona 5
Nier: Automata
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 REmix
Danganronpa 1 & 2 Reload
Yakuza Kiwami

Still working on
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Horizon: Zero Dawn (NEW)
Disc Jam (NEW)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (NEW)

GLuigi

Updated Post

Game #3: Back To The Future: The Game (PC) - 11 Hours
I enjoyed this game quite a bit. Was always a fan of the movies and i thought the game did the series justice. Although at times the game kind of goes over the top with it's story and solutions. The puzzles wasn't too hard for the most part, was able to solve most of them with enough time. Thankfully for the times where i was stumped there is a hint system that slowly reveals the answer by giving you clues to guide you. Also the person who does Marty's voice pretty much nails it.

Game #4: Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition- (PC) - 12 Hours
Fighting game with a neat RPG aesthetic. Finished story mode with all the characters. I was going to try to 100%, but as always with my experience with Arc System Works' story modes i got stuck at 99% on a few characters. Pretty easy fighting game to get into, each character only hands a small amount of special moves to perform. Although the game adds a lot of systems to its gameplay to keep it from going stale. This includes a parry system and a "heat up" system. (which reminds me of SFV's V trigger system) I recommend getting it on sale for a fun weekend.

Game #5: Sonic Adventure 2 (PC) - 7 Hours
I wanted to replay this game to see if it was still as good as i remember it. Game was not as good as my nostalgia, but still had fun with parts of it. The speed stages (Sonic/Shadow) were still a blast to still play through, there wasn't a particular stage in that area that i disliked. The treasure hunting stages were fun at first but kind of got worse as the game went on. Finally, the shooting stages were just bland all together. Overall, its still an okay game that i can find myself going back to once in awhile

Game #6: Alien: Isolation (PC) - 20 Hours
I was watching a good amount of horror movies lately which led me to finally get around to playing this game. I had a great time with this horror survival game with a lot of good scares on the game's part. The game does take its time in the beginning to establish the setting, but once the alien comes into play the game constantly pressures you. I can see why a few people felt like the game dragged on. Its a very slow paced game where you are discouraged to sprint, constantly use your motion tracker, and using your guns. Sneaking is always your safest route but sometimes it can take awhile to get around some of the enemies. Fantastic game especially for those who are fans of the first Alien movie.

Playing right now:
Dragon Quest 7 - This game is pretty long, about to hit 60 hours of total game time. It feels like I'm close to finishing but i won't surprise if they managed to squeeze out an extra 10 hours

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Slowly making my way through the game, a bit overwhelmed on how large Hyrule feels.

Dragon Age Origins - Streaming this for some friends. Took me about 20 hours to finally get hooked on this game. Been loving everything about the game so far.

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary: I haven't finished this due to not being able to find my Vita charger. Once i do find it, i will try to finish this game once and for all.

Main post

-------

12. Hospital Tycoon - 4 hours
Theme Hospital clone with The Sims 2 elements. Lack of depth, bad UI and extremely slow progress even on x3 speed. Too much bad design decisions, and campaign is just 3 hours long tutorial.

10: Doom 2016 [PS4] - 15? Hrs - 03/14/2017 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

This game was dope. Nice breath of fresh "old" air. Made me feel like i was playing original doom and halo, quake, ut. Played about 3/4 of game on ultra violent which was awesome though pretty difficult and cheap in some regards. Really enjoyed all the secrets. Could have had more enemies and variation. Id play a sequel.

Gotta admit though - im getting burnt out on rushing through a game a week. Its draining and starts to feel like its removing some of the fun and relaxed nature of gaming.

Krooner

That's me through Zelda. I'll check the hour log on the U but I'm guessing about 50 hours...

Really enjoyed it. The simplicity of the story, the size of the world... Excellent. I was jarred by the lack of hand-holding and tute's early on, but it was really freeing. Here's a weapon, here's a shield. Go.

...I'll check the hour log on the U but I'm guessing about 50 hours...

Er... HOLY CRAP!

Izuna

Banned
I thought this would be a great year to start. As such, I am going to backdate a couple of games. (not going to include my Titanfall 2 runs)

#1 Titanfall 1 (1500/2000) [15 Hours]
- Paid by someone to get as many achievements as I can. Ended up getting almost all of the non-(compete this mode so many times) ones. Attrition and a bit of Frontier Defense is all I was able to play. The MP in this game was so much fun, since doing this I view the sequel's to be a massive step down. Every game felt like a huge battle where I could everything I wanted.

#2 Halo 5 (Legendary) [9 Hours?]
- I was paid by someone to get all the achievements in this game. I had finished it Legendary solo before, but this time I got all of the collectables and level-specific achievements. I think the patch has improved this game, but it is still ny far the worst Halo campaign. I really hated going through it, but at least I was aware of skips etc.

#3 Halo 2 (Legendary) [5 Hours]
- I was paid to get through this game as well. I didn't get the collectables, and this would be my second time playing solo Legendary. I remembered hating this game on Legendary, with its single shot deaths etc. But this time was rather quick and enjoyable. I am not sure if it's only because it was far more fun than Halo 5 that I had just finished, however.

#4 Nioh NG and NG+, all side-quests [100+ Hours]
- Loved it. Didn't platinum because I missed the collectables on both my play through, but I haven't played a game I've loved so much for a very long time. In my opinion, it's more Ninja Gaiden + Diablo than Souls, but people will disagree. I am stoked for the DLC.

#5 Ryse (Legendary) [4.5 Hours]
- Once again, I was paid to get through this. Collectables were easy, but what I really liked was the presentation. This game is a lot of fun and I had a blast with it's addictive combat system. It is a damn shame people hated on such a gem. It's a perfectly fine, above average story-driven game. The twist was still impactful even though I knew what was coming.

~~

Will continue to update with more games. Hopefully this encourages me to stop watching random Netflix shows during my time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom