• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kaijima said:
This is the elephant in the room that your criticisms don't address - see my post above: wanting missiles in 3rd person introduces a hitch due to fundamental design of the game and the concept of the combat system. Yes, you have said "I want to play my way", but at a certain point "my way" goes against the fundamental design of the game. You want a 3rd person Metroid with a different game mechanic than this game is predicated on.
I don't have time to read your posts right now, I'll get to them later. I don't really consider it "my way" of playing, but rather how every other 2D Metroid game has played. That's what they were trying to do here - bring the 2D into 3D. There are times in the game where you should have been able to use missiles in third person. In other words, you didn't need the precision of first person. The fact that the game had to use first person mode to shoot missiles was because they didn't have enough buttons. This was admitted by Sakamoto. Yes, the game was designed around it and yes it works but, it could have been much, much, better. I guess that's my whole point. I hope I'm not coming across as someone who hates the game. That's simply isn't true because there's a lot the game got right. For me, it's a case of what could have been and I hope Nintendo and Team Ninja take another stab at this and give us the game we should have had - a game without so many flaws.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I don't have time to read your posts right now, I'll get to them later. I don't really consider it "my way" of playing, but rather how every other 2D Metroid game has played. That's what they were trying to do here - bring the 2D into 3D. There are times in the game where you should have been able to use missiles in third person. In other words, you didn't need the precision of first person. The fact that the game had to use first person mode to shoot missiles was because they didn't have enough buttons. This was admitted by Sakamoto. Yes, the game was designed around it and yes it works but, it could have been much, much, better. I guess that's my whole point. I hope I'm not coming across as someone who hates the game. That's simply isn't true because there's a lot the game got right. For me, it's a case of what could have been and I hope Nintendo and Team Ninja take another stab at this and give us the game we should have had - a game without so many flaws.
Uhh...

you do realize that the combat in the games are entirely different... right?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
heringer said:
You're simply blowing the flaws out of proportion. Yes, you are spinning because you just can't deal with the fact that your opinion is just that, your opinion. Instead, you have to spill the old, pompous and juvenile speech that people that don't think like you are blinded by something.

To most people the problems weren't as bad as they were to you. This isn't an exact science, if a lot of people gave the game good scores it's because they think the good overcome the bad and the overall experience is that good, period. Really man, it's time to get over yourself.
And with that I'm done. It's a shame people can't debate about the actual issues instead of degrading to personal attacks. Like you said, opinions are opinions, but I guess if you have any objections, despite my continuous praise of the game, it can't be discussed civilly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
Uhh...

you do realize that the combat in the games are entirely different... right?
I've praised the combat emphatically and repeatedly in this thread. I'm done talking about it Boney. This thread has run it's course.

heringer

MadOdorMachine said:
And with that I'm done. It's a shame people can't debate about the actual issues instead of degrading to personal attacks. Like you said, opinions are opinions, but I guess if you have any objections, despite my continuous praise of the game, it can't be discussed civilly.
Sorry if that offended you. I just think you have to deal with the fact that people who don't agree with you aren't necessarily blind or wrong. Apparently you still can't quite grasp this, which is why I said you need to get over yourself.

I mean, how can you talk about debates and opinions when you explicitly say people are blind? You are just trying to impose your opinion.

Poyunch

On the banned Nintendo site they link to another banned site where they interview a sufferer of PTSD and a Psychologist about a certain cutscene in Other M. :p

I thought it was pretty good but I guess the source would be questionable.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
heringer said:
Sorry if that offended you. I just think you have to deal with the fact that people who don't agree with you aren't necessarily blind or wrong. Apparently you still can't quite grasp this, which is why I said you need to get over yourself.

I mean, how can you talk about debates and opinions when you explicitly say people are blind? You are just trying to impose your opinion.
Apology accepted. I've said people were blind in regard to reviews. In other words they are giving the game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. A good example would be comparing the 360 version of Bayonetta to the PS3 one. That was an objective review. Here, people are apologizing for the flaws in the game by saying it has a redeeming value. I agree it's redeeming, but that shouldn't bump the points up on a score or overlook the flaws which some people are trying to do. Do you really want another Metroid game with as many problems as this? If not, then people need to speak up and quit candy coating everything. Speak up about the flaws and speak up about the parts it got right, but don't ignore one of the other in an attempt to over shadow what is pretty much universally agreed on.

PounchEnvy said:
On the banned Nintendo site they link to another banned site where they interview a sufferer of PTSD and a Psychologist about a certain cutscene in Other M. :p

I thought it was pretty good but I guess the source would be questionable.

Posting the part that IMO sums it up the best, but it's more fleshed out in the article.

Dr. Grohol: Someone who was in a situation where they had something to trigger a flashback, as what appears to occur in the video, could very possibly react in a similar manner -- frozen in place, being unable to act or react for a time. Flashbacks themselves can be traumatizing, and different people will experience and react to them differently. The reaction of the character in the video was consistent with the way some people might react to meeting -- once again -- a murderer they thought they had previously killed.

Red

MadOdorMachine said:
Apology accepted. I've said people were blind in regard to reviews. In other words they are giving the game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. A good example would be comparing the 360 version of Bayonetta to the PS3 one. That was an objective review. Here, people are apologizing for the flaws in the game by saying it has a redeeming value. I agree it's redeeming, but that shouldn't bump the points up on a score or overlook the flaws which some people are trying to do. Do you really want another Metroid game with as many problems as this? If not, then people need to speak up and quit candy coating everything. Speak up about the flaws and speak up about the parts it got right, but don't ignore one of the other in an attempt to over shadow what is pretty much universally agreed on.
I don't think many people here are saying the game doesn't have flaws. Virtually every single person in this thread has two or three big complaints about significant parts of the game.

Wizpig

Snytbaggen said:
Posting the part that IMO sums it up the best, but it's more fleshed out in the article.

Dr. Grohol: Someone who was in a situation where they had something to trigger a flashback, as what appears to occur in the video, could very possibly react in a similar manner -- frozen in place, being unable to act or react for a time. Flashbacks themselves can be traumatizing, and different people will experience and react to them differently. The reaction of the character in the video was consistent with the way some people might react to meeting -- once again -- a murderer they thought they had previously killed.
But
she killed the murderer like 2 times before that stupid cutscene, in previous games.

Penguin

Wizpig said:
But
she killed the murderer like 2 times before that stupid cutscene, in previous games.

And what does the last sentence say?

I mean it makes sense, but I guess maybe they should have explained it better in the game, not like they weren't heavy handed in other situations.

Kard8p3

Wizpig said:
But

yeah but ptsd isn't something you get over. Sometimes it can take effect and sometimes it wont. That would be the case here. The shock of seeing Ridley after she thought he was dead for good caused her to have an attack.

Penguin said:
And what does the last sentence say?

I mean it makes sense, but I guess maybe they should have explained it better in the game, not like they weren't heavy handed in other situations.

Yeah this is true. It's like nintendo assumed everyone read the manga and knew the backstory behind that scene. Since the game was full of flashbacks anyway they should have just shown what happened between them in the past so people would have a better understanding.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wizpig said:
But

Oddly enough,
if you'd killed a serial killer 2 times before, and he showed up a 3rd time without warning, wouldn't you be shocked and confused as hell? At times, it seems like people are applying video game player logic to this one part of the story rather than in-universe character logic. We keep killing the boss that won't die, so just smirk when Gannon shows up again in the next game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
My 2 cents on Metroid: Other M.

Metroid: Other M is a game that takes risk. Clear and cut . There is no sugar coating it. It is definitely a brave move from Nintendo, and more specifically Yoshio Sakamoto who has put it all on the line. Is the game perfect? No. Is the game different? Absolutely. Is the game Metroid? 100%.

Let me begin my mentioning that the internet has become a cesspool of hyperbolic mass suggestion. If one person says something at the right moment, it becomes gospel, no matter how fabricated and unsupported the notion. Obviously, the topic at hand is Metroid: Other M’s “sophisticated cinematic approach” (CG and voice acting) which follows suite on the story heavy preceding Metroid Fusion. How bad is the story? How bad is the writing? Well folks, the truth is the story is interesting, weird, melodramatic, captivating, and confusing. All at the same time. There will be moments where there is some exciting and vivid story telling, moments of insightful dialogue, and moments of awkward monologue. Truthfully, it is very signature and quite confusing to a series that has been creatively disjointed the last 10 years. Meaning, different design teams were making different games. The original team was making hand held Metroids, while a new American team adapted the standardized FPS genre to the 8-bit concept of Metroid. Now that the hand held team has all this technology at its disposal, people are confused that they are playing a game that isn’t afraid to derail from the NES Metroid. Yoshio Sakamoto proved that with Metroid Fusion, his intent was not to make the original Metroid, over and over. Not just take Metroid 1, and give you new levels.

I repeat. The story is Interesting. Captivating. Weird. Imaginative. Melodramatic. Awkward. All those are probably my best summation of it. Does it ruin the game? NO. Does it enhance the game? I honestly found it interesting. And probably would say yes. Anyone who feels the story is ruining the game or that it isn’t “Metroid”, well you can’t argue with those people. But if you truly want to experience a grating modern video game story, well go ahead and play Final Fantasy XIII. You can enjoy a good 7 hours of horrible dialogue, bad voice acting, and the most discombobulated story ever. Metroid: Other M is far from this.

Regarding the sexism brought up by G4TV. Ridiculous.

The only thing. THE ONLY THING. That should be a concern of yours, is the control. Metroid: Other M does some very risky things in the control department. Quite frankly, it is really trying to present a “classic Metroid” game in a 3D adaptation. Although sometimes ingenious and very unique, it can be cumbersome and frustrating. That my friends is Metroid: Other M’s true Achilles heel. It isn’t all this nonsense about the story or the sexism, or boobs, it is the control folks. Some people will love it, some will endure, some will just not feel comfortable with it. I do think the game would have been much better off with a classic controller / nun chuck / wiimote option. There really was no excuse for this Nintendo. I also feel Nintendo made a mistake with 3D movement in loss of full control of your aiming.

It is a great game that isn’t going to be understood by everyone. Especially no in this raw state. Metroid Prime was awkward for many, but at the end it played like a first-person shooter and the familiarity was there. Metroid: Other M doesn’t play like any standardized genre, and will thus require a lot for people to become comfortable with the control mechanics. I think Nintendo made a mistake, in the grand scheme of the masses of gamers.

The game in my opinion is great. Far from perfect, And needs a lot of work to be as perfect as the hand held Metroids. But in this rough sketch, I believe lies the blueprint of console Metroids. I think Nintendo needs to go purely 2.5D and leave it at that.

Sakamoto forever!

Nessus

Glix said:
The people who complain about pointing at the screen remind me of the people who complain about Dead Rising 1 save system, or back in the day, Resident Evil control scheme.

Dead Rising's save system was a far, far bigger problem than anything in Other M.

Nessus

Wizpig said:
But

As I said before, I don't think Sakamoto is too concerned with that. He's not looking at it like Samus has already faced
Ridley
on multiple occasions, he's more concerned with the idea of how horrific it would be to face
your parents' murderer
, and that idea, on its own, irregardless of the timeline, is what Sakamoto was concerned about.

If he could go back and do that cutscene in the original Metroid he probably would, but because he can't he just puts it on the first Metroid game on a system powerful enough to realize his vision.

Throughout the Metroid series it's clear that despite it having a (more or less) coherent timeline, they've never been too concerned with the specifics. Hence Super being effectively a remake of the original
and Other M so transparently being a remake of Fusion

If he was so concerned about every detail of continuity then there would never be discontinuity between the powers she has at the end of one game and what she starts out with in the next. Or the ever-changing design of her ship. Or her suit.

These things are meant to serve the plot, not for the plot to be a slave to continuity. This also seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of Japanese story telling. A lot of Japanese plots aren't as concerned about how irrational or illogical something is if it serves the aesthetic they're going for.

Do I agree with his decision? Not really. I think it's poorly-executed, and I for one really like it when continuity is maintained.

AniHawk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Does [the story] ruin the game?

Simply looking at the quality of the story, I don't think it ruins the game. However, the story taking away one of the series's most well-liked aspects (new powers thanks to player exploration and/or boss-killing) makes it at the very least a hindrance.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
Simply looking at the quality of the story, I don't think it ruins the game. However, the story taking away one of the series's most well-liked aspects (new powers thanks to player exploration and/or boss-killing) makes it at the very least a hindrance.
I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual deal, even though it robs some of the character of the franchise's strenghts.

I like it as this one time thing, but I wouldn't want it to return.

MadOdorMachine is getting unfairly piled on for saying things that aren't particularly controversial or over the top imo. I'm personally getting tired of hearing how we're not allowed to consider various changes to the series unfitting or incongruous, not only with established design elements but with the stated intentions of the developers. It all comes across ironically highhanded coming from people who seem chronically hung up on the idea of fans of the series being too high and mighty with their opinions.

AniHawk

Boney said:
I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual deal, even though it robs some of the character of the franchise's strenghts.

I like it as this one time thing, but I wouldn't want it to return.

It's not really robbing the "essence" of Metroid, but more or less taking the feeling of reward away from the player.

Doorman

MadOdorMachine said:
I think this is where the discussion is getting hung up, though. Just how many of the game's flaws have been "universally agreed on?" In this very thread, even? Some people don't like the D-pad controls, others think it works fine. Same goes with the auto-targeting, the switch from 3rd to 1st person, even the more typical approach to storytelling.

As far as I've been able to discern, the only issues the game has that have seemed to be universal among people here is that the voice acting could use improvement, the "where's Waldo" bits are generally too obscure and break the pacing, and that perhaps the over-the-shoulder bits could have been utilized more interestingly. Other than that, every "flaw" has been met with at least some adequacy of defense, and in the overall playing I don't think I'd consider any of those universals to be game-breaking in terms of seriously damaging a review score. Provided of course that the reviewer genuinely enjoyed the overall experience.

Kard8p3

GrotesqueBeauty said:
MadOdorMachine is getting unfairly piled on for saying things that aren't particularly controversial or over the top imo. I'm personally getting tired of hearing how we're not allowed to consider various changes to the series unfitting or incongruous, not only with established design elements but with the stated intentions of the developers. It all comes across ironically highhanded coming from people who seem chronically hung up on the idea of fans of the series being too high and mighty with their opinions.

I haven't followed all the back and forth between him and the others but at least some were doing it because he was saying the people looking at the game positively were just apologists that were overlooking the flaws because it's Metroid.

Kard8p3 said:
I haven't followed all the back and forth between him and the others but at least some were doing it because he was saying the people looking at the game positively were just apologists that were overlooking the flaws because it's Metroid.
I may have missed it, but I don't think he framed the argument in such broad terms.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's not really robbing the "essence" of Metroid, but more or less taking the feeling of reward away from the player.
Yeah that's what I mean. Here, many power ups were presented in a "ok, you need it? here goes"
Instead of a "where the hell am I, uuu Ice Beam! Sweeeeeeet"

It works well, but I wouldn't want it to continue. Because most items were devoid of great moments like the grapple beam and the space jump.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I may have missed it, but I don't think he framed the argument in such broad terms.
I just want to share my point of view. It's just fun to discuss these things. If I came with my claws on, well, I certainly didn't mean to.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shikamaru Ninja said:
My 2 cents on Metroid: Other M.

Metroid: Other M is a game that takes risk. Clear and cut . There is no sugar coating it. It is definitely a brave move from Nintendo, and more specifically Yoshio Sakamoto who has put it all on the line. Is the game perfect? No. Is the game different? Absolutely. Is the game Metroid? 100%.

Let me begin my mentioning that the internet has become a cesspool of hyperbolic mass suggestion. If one person says something at the right moment, it becomes gospel, no matter how fabricated and unsupported the notion. Obviously, the topic at hand is Metroid: Other M’s “sophisticated cinematic approach” (CG and voice acting) which follows suite on the story heavy preceding Metroid Fusion. How bad is the story? How bad is the writing? Well folks, the truth is the story is interesting, weird, melodramatic, captivating, and confusing. All at the same time. There will be moments where there is some exciting and vivid story telling, moments of insightful dialogue, and moments of awkward monologue. Truthfully, it is very signature and quite confusing to a series that has been creatively disjointed the last 10 years. Meaning, different design teams were making different games. The original team was making hand held Metroids, while a new American team adapted the standardized FPS genre to the 8-bit concept of Metroid. Now that the hand held team has all this technology at its disposal, people are confused that they are playing a game that isn’t afraid to derail from the NES Metroid. Yoshio Sakamoto proved that with Metroid Fusion, his intent was not to make the original Metroid, over and over. Not just take Metroid 1, and give you new levels.

I repeat. The story is Interesting. Captivating. Weird. Imaginative. Melodramatic. Awkward. All those are probably my best summation of it. Does it ruin the game? NO. Does it enhance the game? I honestly found it interesting. And probably would say yes. Anyone who feels the story is ruining the game or that it isn’t “Metroid”, well you can’t argue with those people. But if you truly want to experience a grating modern video game story, well go ahead and play Final Fantasy XIII. You can enjoy a good 7 hours of horrible dialogue, bad voice acting, and the most discombobulated story ever. Metroid: Other M is far from this.

Regarding the sexism brought up by G4TV. Ridiculous.

The only thing. THE ONLY THING. That should be a concern of yours, is the control. Metroid: Other M does some very risky things in the control department. Quite frankly, it is really trying to present a “classic Metroid” game in a 3D adaptation. Although sometimes ingenious and very unique, it can be cumbersome and frustrating. That my friends is Metroid: Other M’s true Achilles heel. It isn’t all this nonsense about the story or the sexism, or boobs, it is the control folks. Some people will love it, some will endure, some will just not feel comfortable with it. I do think the game would have been much better off with a classic controller / nun chuck / wiimote option. There really was no excuse for this Nintendo. I also feel Nintendo made a mistake with 3D movement in loss of full control of your aiming.

It is a great game that isn’t going to be understood by everyone. Especially no in this raw state. Metroid Prime was awkward for many, but at the end it played like a first-person shooter and the familiarity was there. Metroid: Other M doesn’t play like any standardized genre, and will thus require a lot for people to become comfortable with the control mechanics. I think Nintendo made a mistake, in the grand scheme of the masses of gamers.

The game in my opinion is great. Far from perfect, And needs a lot of work to be as perfect as the hand held Metroids. But in this rough sketch, I believe lies the blueprint of console Metroids. I think Nintendo needs to go purely 2.5D and leave it at that.

Sakamoto forever!
I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm glad Sakamoto took a big risk with this game. Other M already separated itself from every other Metroid game due to it's new focus on action. For me this is a welcomed change, and not only do I want to see the series evolve upon this approach in the future, but I think it will be copied, just like games like Zelda, Devil May Cry or Resident Evil 4 were copied and improved upon. Other M is a huge advancement for the action genre imo. The camera and transitions between cinematics, finishing moves and first and third person are extremely well polished. I don't think people have been praising that enough.

If that were all that was done, I think people would be singing a much different tune about Other M. The problem (at least in the west) is that they didn't take into consideration what was already established character traits of Samus. For this, it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, people have developed an idea of who Samus is. Sakamoto completely turned that on it's head. I'm not saying that story couldn't be introduced and explain more about Samus' past, but the way it was done was painful to watch. Part of it may be the fault of the actress doing the voice of Samus. I wonder if she did any research behind the character at all. Another problem may have been translation issues. The point is, it could have been better. One example is the relationship between Samus and Ridley. Their history could have been explained without completely making Samus spaz out. Many people feel the way that was handled, not that it was handled, was detrimental to the character and the future of the series. Things like that can, and should be fixed.

As for controls, it's a double edged sword. On one hand we wouldn't have the evolution in action I already mentioned had they not taken a simplistic approach. On the other hand, a lot had to be sacrificed in order to make it work. We already know Team Ninja wanted to use the nun-chuck. We also know that first person missiles were the result of the lack of buttons. Do the controls work? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. I just hope we get a sequel with better controls. They have a great foundation that can be expanded upon. If they were to use the nun-chuck in the future, they could improve what they already have as well as introduce new gameplay ideas.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not even like "I need Varia, OOOOOOH-OOOH-OWWWWW-OOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOO (music)", it's like I'm melting, I wonder if I should turn on Varia to save me.

*melts*

*melts again*

hmmm, Varia now I guess guys.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Miyamoto, somewhere right now, is smiling, knowing he will never have to worry about anyone under him trying to add a story to his games ever again after this.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
As for controls, it's a double edged sword. On one hand we wouldn't have the evolution in action I already mentioned had they not taken a simplistic approach. On the other hand, a lot had to be sacrificed in order to make it work. We already know Team Ninja wanted to use the nun-chuck. We also know that first person missiles were the result of the lack of buttons. Do the controls work? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. I just hope we get a sequel with better controls. They have a great foundation that can be expanded upon. If they were to use the nun-chuck in the future, they could improve what they already have as well as introduce new gameplay ideas.
I don't think it had to be sacrificed. I feel they just had to turn the game upside down and analyze, how it's gonna work. And ultimately they came up with a solution, that in my opinion, is the best use of missiles the franchise has had.

But reading that post, we're pretty much on the same page, just that I praise it more for what it did correctly, and didn't find the character bad, just badly translated.

heringer

Ok, playing again I'm kinda thinking the OST is a little underappreciated. Sure, there are few songs, but damn, the ones in it are really, really good.

Don't remember the name of the composer, but he did a good job. If only there were more of it...

Poyunch

Rez said:
I feel like Miyamoto, somewhere right now, is smiling, knowing he will never have to worry about anyone under him trying to add a story to his games ever again after this.
Well Koizumi got away with it. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rez said:
it's not even like "I need Varia, OOOOOOH-OOOH-OWWWWW-OOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOO (music)", it's like I'm melting, I wonder if I should turn on Varia to save me.

*melts*

*melts again*

That irritated me so much. I wanted her to tell Adam to go fuck himself and just turn on Varia. Prove to him that she doesn't take orders anymore or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
Uh...huh.
Somehow, I doubt anything about Other M will stop Sakamoto from putting whatever the hell he wants in Metroid.
I'm talking about Nintendo games. Not Nintendo games.

Boney

Banned
Rez said:

*melts*

*melts again*

My most reasonable explanation to this is that, Adam just wouldn't want to authorize an ability just because she could use it in that specific moment, because she didn't want her to grow too powerful and what not. Maybe he felt that she could've just passed through Area 3 quickly enough without the need to authorize the suit, since there's really no need to have it. Just a convinience. And when things started to get ugly, he granted it.

I still feel it doesn't really make sense for defensive abilities. Didn't take that much issue though.

radcliff

Wizpig said:
But

But its not the same Ridley, its a different one. One that we actually see the evolution of through the course of this game (cute little fluffy > El Poco Loco > Ridley.) Maybe that is why she was so frightened. She wasn't expecting Ridley since its dead. Then along come this new one, one that she could have disposed of before it ever becomes a threat back in Sector 1 at the beginning of the game, but she lets it go.

heringer said:
Ok, playing again I'm kinda thinking the OST is a little underappreciated. Sure, there are few songs, but damn, the ones in it are really, really good.

Don't remember the name of the composer, but he did a good job. If only there were more of it...
The music is perfectly competent, but it's mostly low key ambient tracks. The game felt like it was missing memorable original uptempo themes to pump you up while running around. I honestly couldn't recall or hum anything in the game that wasn't a remix.

Yeah I love plenty of games with no or subtle music (see: ICO), but Metroid is known for its catchy tunes. Fusion and now Other M were really lacking in that area for me.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You ever played a recent Zelda? You know the pages and pages of annoying text in crayon with annoying chimes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda is Zelda. It's self-aware and knows its boundaries.

If there's one thing Sakamoto and Metroid isn't, it's self-aware.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
timeline theorists are just my favourite people in the world

Rez said:
Zelda is Zelda. It's self-aware and knows its boundaries.

If there's one thing Sakamoto and Metroid isn't, it's self-aware.
It's a good thing, because if Sakamoto ever became self aware he might cast off his barrette and bring about the destruction of the series amid a flurry of really aggressive beetles.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
If it didn't have flaws pushing it down I'd give it a 10 and suck it's dick.
It's good to see you're living up to your tag!

Doorman said:
I think this is where the discussion is getting hung up, though. Just how many of the game's flaws have been "universally agreed on?" In this very thread, even? Some people don't like the D-pad controls, others think it works fine. Same goes with the auto-targeting, the switch from 3rd to 1st person, even the more typical approach to storytelling.

As far as I've been able to discern, the only issues the game has that have seemed to be universal among people here is that the voice acting could use improvement, the "where's Waldo" bits are generally too obscure and break the pacing, and that perhaps the over-the-shoulder bits could have been utilized more interestingly. Other than that, every "flaw" has been met with at least some adequacy of defense, and in the overall playing I don't think I'd consider any of those universals to be game-breaking in terms of seriously damaging a review score. Provided of course that the reviewer genuinely enjoyed the overall experience.
You bring up a good point, and that's what I'd like to discuss and see what suggestions could be made to better the series in the future. That's what I'm trying to do, but perhaps I've come across a bit brash. Let me give you some of my ideas, based on the issues you brought up. Keep in mind this is my opinion and only suggestions.

To improve gameplay, the first thing that needs to be done is ditch the NES style controls in favor of the Wii remote and nun chuck. You can still have 8 way control with the analog stick. All of the worries about not being able to speed boost and such wouldn't be an issue. They could keep the camera system in place. All we're doing is moving to the analog stick. Everything else is the same, except maybe they could make her walk as well. Now that we've established that the foundation will stay the same, let's look and see what we can add.

Because the Wii remote is already pointed at the screen, pointing is much more natural. In the over the shoulder portions you're talking about, you would now be able to aim. This would be a great break from the action if they were to introduce some suspenseful moments in there. Yes, it's a complete rip off of RE4 but is that really a bad thing if it's only done in small doses?

Next, the "Where's Waldo" moments. Now that we have more buttons, it isn't necessary to shoot missiles only in first person. Because of this, the "Waldo" moments should either be simplified or completely scrapped. I would suggest keeping the first person moments to action sequences similar to
Ridleys tail outside the BioLab and the final boss fight with MB.
Granted, they need to fix the aiming in first person (just copy MP3's control) but it could be a lot better and fun.

I guess the way I look at is this and maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but it seems to me everyones favorite part of the game is the special end sequence when you're going for 100%. When I look at this (at least from the way I play) this is what I see. The majority of the gameplay is in third person. You are so powerful that you don't need to use missiles. There's also very little voice acting or cutscenes in this section. There are also no "Waldo" or over the shoulder moments. So is it a coincidence all of these flaws are missing and people are enjoying this part of the game the most or am I crazy?

Top Bottom