• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki comes out of retirement to work on feature film

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
GIF%206_0.gif

Hydrus

The guy obviously loves what he does, why does he feel he need to retire? Just do what makes you happy until you die.

The guy obviously loves what he does, why does he feel he need to retire? Just do what makes you happy until you die.
Probably because creative works tend to be really stressful, and doubly so for a perfectionist like Miyazaki. So even though he clearly loves it overall, he probably gets really burnt out from time to time and decides on impulse that he's too old for this shit

mdubs

Banned
*Shinkai in the ring cutting the hottest promo waving his World Championship belt around*

BAH GAWD, BAH GAWD KING, THAT'S HAYAO MIYAZAKI'S MUSIC

*gets into ring, points to massive WRESTLEMANIA sign, cut to black*

Exciting news, and can't wait to see how it ends up.

HOWEVER, I wish he'd focus instead on training and nurturing talent for the next generation of Ghibli film makers. Once him and Takahata stopped, Ghibli basically produced nothing new.

Amusing how no one has yet noticed the reason for this thread bump. Sounds like Miyazaki is still in the "I would really like to make this film" stage, not the "I can actually make this film now" stage.

Exciting news, and can't wait to see how it ends up.

HOWEVER, I wish he'd focus instead on training and nurturing talent for the next generation of Ghibli film makers. Once him and Takahata stopped, Ghibli basically produced nothing new.

Ghibli is dead, and it should stay dead at this point. I honestly hope Miyazaki stays retired at this point, because I don't want him to suck up all the animators back from the rest of the industry where they've gone to. The dissolution of Ghibli has been a beneficial thing for the anime industry at large, from Yonebayashi continuing to make films in the "Ghibli style" at his newly founded Studio Ponoc to Masashi Ando bringing an incredible wealth of animation talent to Your Name and thus making the first truly well animated Shinkai film. We're at the point where maybe people around the world can begin to recognize that Miyazaki isn't the only person in Japan who can direct a good animated film. The future of Japanese animated films looks bright, and I honestly think it'll end up brighter if Miyazaki doesn't try to stage another comeback.

Jedi2016

Yeah, at this point I'm just going to wait until he's dead before trying to get any "Complete Miyazaki Collection". And then biting my nails waiting for the inevitable "Hayao Miyazaki rises from the grave to direct one more feature film"...

TrounceX

Miyazaki is such a miserable person. I wish I knew less about him than I do. The contradiction between his personality and his artistic output is astonishing.

Shoeless

Miyazaki is such a miserable person. I wish I knew less about him than I do. The contradiction between his personality and his artistic output is astonishing.

I think that's probably a lot more common in creatives than most people suspect. Artists certainly aren't perfect, and their own creations are their own wish fulfillment, so it's not really a total surprise that someone that has produce some hopeful, compassionate movies celebrating family and friendship would himself appear to be a dark, isolated person. He's creating what he wants but doesn't have.

But at least that studio takes good care of its cats.

Looks like they're gonna start hiring people to work on the movie:
http://kotaku.com/how-to-work-on-hayao-miyazakis-new-movie-1795363479

Studio Ghibli has a job listing for the feature—which also means that Ghibli is going back into feature film production! The listing mentions how Miyazaki has decided to come out of retirement, writing, “Because of his age, this one is most certainly seems like the last work he will direct.”

The gigs are for animation and background art. Those who are already working in the animation industry are also welcome to apply.

Successful candidates will begin work on October 1, 2017, which, I guess, means the movie goes into full time production then. The contract is for three years, and the salary is for over 200,000 yen (US$1,794) per month with twice annual bonuses. Travel to and from work will be reimbursed (though, there is a limit on how much travel allowance is allotted.) Work begins at 10am and ends at 7pm, with an hour break. There is overtime. Of course there is.

Studio Ghibli is looking for those over the age of 18. Your gender or, and this is important, nationality do not matter. (However, the listing states the studio is looking for those with the necessary Japanese level to work on the project.)

Can apply here if anybody here is interested :p
http://www.ghibli.jp/info/011243/

Hasn't he "retired" after every film he's made since like 1995?

Pretty much. The first was after Princess Mononoke, then Spirited Away, and finally The WInd Rises, if I recall. With progressively more assurances that it was "for real this time" each time, of course.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He'll retire when he's dead. He doesn't seem like a person who can just relax and do nothing.

sfedai0

Banned
Winde Rises was good but perhaps it was the subject matter, it didnt make me feel like it was worth a rewatch. Somewhat like Grave of the Fireflies.

turmoil

Banned
Didn't know if this was a bump or he came out of retirement again

He will keep making movies from beyond the grave

And I will be thankful

Based Miyazaki

blakep267

Winde Rises was good but perhaps it was the subject matter, it didnt make me feel like it was worth a rewatch. Somewhat like Grave of the Fireflies.
It was good but yeah it wasn't fleshed out enough imo. Plus usually it's the whimsy and visuals that make me fall in love with Miyazaki movies and rewatch them. Wind rises wasn't any of that. It was a love story that was kinda underdeveloped

The man makes amazing movies. I won't make fun of the fact that he keeps coming out of retirement because I understand his desire to continue crafting stories even in his old age. Keep at it for as long as you want. You're still damn good at it, and don't fit the mold of "old man director who makes shitty films" that Tarantino keeps talking about/wanting to avoid in his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom