• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hayao Miyazaki comes out of retirement to work on feature film

Status
Not open for further replies.

xk0sm0sx

bDiUUEs.jpg

duckroll

I've seen the documentary and while I don't remember if it was directly said, it was really, really heavily implied. The doc is all about Miyazaki's struggles with the short and its CG animation. It leads the viewer to believe that in the end he solves many of those problems by turning it into a full length movie.

Or at least that's what I got from it. There's no sign in the doc that the script for the movie would be something totally different, quite the contrary.

Huh, that's interesting. I would be somewhat disappointed if the work on the CG short is all wasted. There are some pretty cool young up and coming CG animators who were working on the project iirc.

GCX

Huh, that's interesting. I would be somewhat disappointed if the work on the CG short is all wasted. There are some pretty cool young up and coming CG animators who were working on the project iirc.
There's a bit of really beautiful footage of the short in the doc, I hope we'll get to see it in some form too.

There's also some really awkward parts where it looks like the animators are having a mental breakdown because Miyazaki's not happy with anything and Miyazaki's having his own breakdown too because nothing seems to work. In the end pieces start to click in place though and they get their groove on.

Supposedly it's going to be in the Ghibli Museum later this year:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...i-no-boro-to-be-screened-in-june-or-july-2017

Movie Natalie has reported that Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki said at the talk event with Tomohiko Ishii (The Sky Crawlers) held at DNP Plaza in Tokyo yesterday that Hayao Miyazaki's new short film Kemushi no Boro/Boro the Caterpillar will be completed by Spring 2017 and is scheduled to be screened at the Ghibli Museum in June or July of the year.

watershed

Banned
The documentary implied heavily that after many struggles, Miyazaki made the decision to expand the short into a feature film. That means the short doesn't exist anymore and it has transformed into a full movie.

I read that the short is set to release next year and the film roughly 3 years from now.

/XX/

Mr. Takahata sure knows him better than he himself does!

THE LAST SORTIE!!!
THE LAST SORTIE!!!
Man, this mistranslated rumour won't die already! :p

The documentary implied heavily that after many struggles, Miyazaki made the decision to expand the short into a feature film. That means the short doesn't exist anymore and it has transformed into a full movie.
Didn't the timeline included on the proposal he showed to Mr. Suzuki made mention of actually completing the Ghibli Museum exclusive short film and later expand it for a theatrical film release? I seem to remember the scene like that but might have to re-watch it...

/XX/

I don't blame him after his staff showed him that AI presentation of disfigured zombies crawling around.
The presentation at that meeting wasn't made by the people on the staff working with him for the project (like talented Yūhei Sakuragi, as the recent documentary shows), but by the Dwango Artificial Intelligence Laboratory that Nobuo Kawakami sponsors, and who is seen in the infamous scene introducing his team as head of the DWANGO Co., Ltd., parent company.

entremet

I really don't get the concept of retirement is you're relatively healthy and have a sharp mind.

Sure, if you worked a horrible job, but Miyazaki clearly loves his work. Do it until the grave, breh.

/XX/

Supposedly it's going to be in the Ghibli Museum later this year:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...i-no-boro-to-be-screened-in-june-or-july-2017
Yep! Re-watching what the documentary shows of the notebook Mr. Miyazaki handles to Mr. Suzuki, named 'feature-length film proposal' (長編企画 覚書), confirms mid-2017 as the completion time-frame of the animated short. It is interesting to note how the planning has written "doing it by hand" (as in not 3DCGI involved;「手描きでやる」), which goes in-line with the 100 cuts that Mr. Miyazaki mentions he has to do too until 2019 for the expanded theatrical film project.

Yep! Re-watching what the documentary shows of the notebook Mr. Miyazaki handles to Mr. Suzuki, named 'feature-length film proposal' (長編企画 覚書), confirms mid-2017 as the completion time-frame of the animated short. It is interesting to note how the planning has written "doing it by hand" (as in not 3DCGI involved;「手描きでやる」), which goes in-line with the 100 cuts that Mr. Miyazaki mentions he has to do too until 2019 for the expanded theatrical film project.

Short movie is a kind of teaser in the end then? ;P

/XX/

I guess this means Ghibli lives to make another feature film! Hopefully they still have their 2D animators.
Well, without a continued own output and other production cooperations lined up it would have been a luxury to maintain such an animation production dept., so they let go most of their full-time dedicated staff handling those matters.

Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki did emphasise at the time that the process of assembling new staff in a case-by-case basis for following projects would be no different than what they did for My Neighbor Totoro or TOPCRAFT's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind anyway and, that is, their industry's standard procedure. It is not like many talented peers won't absolutely be eager to participate (Mr. Miyazaki's fame of dictatorial & inflexible supervisor notwithstanding)!

Short movie is a kind of teaser in the end then? ;P
That, and maybe also feel they have a obligation to deliver what was promised at first.
And I'm sure you will take the opportunity to catch the short on rotation at the Ghibli Museum, right? :-D

so1337

Wait, so both the CG short and the upcoming theatrical movie are about the caterpillar? Not that I'm complaining...

Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki did emphasise at the time that the process of assembling new staff in a case-by-case basis for following projects would be no different than what they did for My Neighbor Totoro or TOPCRAFT's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind anyway and, that is, their industry's standard procedure. It is not like many talented peers won't absolutely be eager to participate (Mr. Miyazaki's fame of dictatorial & inflexible supervisor notwithstanding)!

That, and maybe also feel they have a obligation to deliver what was promised at first.
And I'm sure you will take the opportunity to catch the short on rotation at the Ghibli Museum, right? :-D

They've already worked with plenty of other companies like Nakamura Production, Studio Takuranke, Anime Torotoro, Telecom Animation Film, Doga Kobo and even Khara of course for some of the animation work, right?

And it depends on what months they show it ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom