• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME - Its almost here! Lets discuss the game!

v0mitg0d

Videos for you and one is in glorious, raw 4K/60! Though the game doesn't run at 60fps, it does seem to dip above 30 at times. That's the reason I captured at that frame rate.

RiME - Intro (4K/60, No Commentary, PS4 Pro)
https://youtu.be/PKdJ8J0WP1U

**PUZZLE SPOILERS BELOW**
RiMe - All World 1 Puzzle Solutions
https://youtu.be/8DYWLsOJLmU

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 5 Solution
https://youtu.be/gSET6quPLR4

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 4 Solution
https://youtu.be/_L_SMmITsm0

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 3 Solution
https://youtu.be/RYPAMhswMrQ

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 2 Solution
https://youtu.be/qHYXdjyyTbI

IMPRESSIONS
I played the game on my 4k TV (KS8000) on a PS4 Pro. There are 5 worlds and I'm almost done with the 3rd which has taken my roughly 4 hours.

- It's a gorgeous game, and yes the first 2 minutes of the game I couldn't stop thinking about the Ico comparisons, however it does enough to form it's own identity--and it's a good one.

- The score is really goddamn good.

- This is a dreamy, sort of no-combat, sit-on-your-couch-and-explore-experience. Just love it!

- Though there's a overarching design to it all, each world has it's own flow, narrative little special something. :)

- It's mostly been puzzle-soft. As in, the environmental puzzles have never been too challenging where I need to walk away, but a few have stumped me for 5-10 minutes.

- On the Ps4 Pro it appears to run at about 30-40FPS in 4K. Unsure if there's officially Pro support, but for the record I do have Boost Mode enabled in case there's not.

- The day/night cycle is too fast, and I found it a touch bothersome.

Updated the description to be more clear about the 60fps capture. I did it because the game can jump above 30fps at times.

Didn't know 4 6s is "lots".

Does Horizon have divisive reviews? USGamer gave it 2.5/5 and Paste Magazine 6/10.

2 out of 100+ reviews isn't the same as 4 out of 20. But either way I think the reviews are coming in pretty alright, will be interested to see where it settles as more come in.

Well, at last I can talk about this game, but i won't be posting full text of my review here, i'll share the link to it tomorrow. Now, let's talk about PC port.

Well guys, i can't get constant 60 FPS in 1080p without turning down shadows to medium and i've 4790K, 16 GB RAM and ASUS ROG 1070. The game simply not optimised well enough even for 1080p, not to mention 1440p which is unfortunately unplayable if i don't turn of the shadows completely. To get almost constant (but nowhere near perfect) 60 FPS i need to turn down shadows to medium in 1080p. I really don't know why shadows (or whatever it actually is) is so taxing in this game, not to mention that system such as mine should destroy this game even in 4K, yet, i can barely get 30 FPS in such resoluting even without shadows at all. I can asume that foliage and view distance is to blame for all this, but to be frank, The Witcher 3 is a much and much more complex game in terms of visuals, geometry and amount of foliage, yet it performs A LOT better than RIME in 1440p on my system with 99% of max setting and with HairWorks on. And i'm not using SSAO to deal with aliasing in RIME btw.
That's a deal breaker for me. How can a GTX 1070 struggle with this game at 1080p? I don't see how this game is advanced enough for this. But I also heard the console versions suffer from performance issues as well. Not buying until this is addressed at least.

Ok, I didn't mean "all over the place" in strict mathematical terms (nor did the original poster), but if we want to play the semantics game then can we say that the reviews are divisive?
Video game review scores are generally very homogeneous, though. There is rarely any kind of meaningful spread of scores for big releases that have 50-60+ reviews.
This isn't a big release, nor a major genre (ie puzzle focused, exploration-heavy, environmental storytelling adventure). This is the kind of genre where you'd expect a less homogenous reception. Did you find the puzzles easy, hard, or just right? If puzzles are easy, do you consider that a flaw? Is what makes a game like this enjoyable the challenge of the puzzles or the thrill of the exploration? Did you connect with a wordless narrative? Was the narrative effective? And so on

And no, 5 out 27 reviews (as of now) doesn't equal divisive

jacobeid

Banned
This isn't a big release, nor a major genre (ie puzzle focused, exploration-heavy, environmental storytelling adventure). This is the kind of genre where you'd expect a less homogenous reception. Did you find the puzzles easy, hard, or just right? If puzzles are easy, do you consider that a flaw? Is what a game like this good the challenge of the puzzles or the thrill of the exploration? Did you connect with a wordless narrative? Was the narrative effective? And so on

Just look at the review thread. Whether or not I agree with what you said (I do) these scores from the major outlets will make it seem that the reviews are more divisive than they actually are in terms of pure numbers.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just read the Edge review. Read like the most generous 9 I've seen from them in some time.
The game features a lot of things thaat Edge would obviously like- in world invisible walls, low guidance and player control throughout. But the review also had a lot of comments that felt more at home in a preview than a review. Almost a sympathetic tone to the plight the developers have gone through. Sounds nice enough but gentle difficulty and short duration means I'll wait and see what impressions are like a week later.
They have been hyping the game up for a long time. I wouldn't put much stock in their review. Luckily, there are many others to read.

Not sure why gamespot said it wasnt a good ending in terms of explanation, I thought it was excellent and specifically addresses something that he said wasnt explained. amazing music too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oof, was hoping my laptop would be able to handle this one but I guess PS4 version is my only option here.
If you're aiming for 1080p 60 experience, with laptop you basically out of luck unless you've laptop with the best possible CPU and GPU but even then it's impossible I think.

That's a deal breaker for me. How can a GTX 1070 struggle with this game at 1080p? I don't see how this game is advanced enough for this. But I also heard the console versions suffer from performance issues as well. Not buying until this is addressed at least.
I also don't understand why 1070 is not enough even for 1080p 60 at all times with max settings and without SSAO. It's downright ridiculous. Also, QLOC is responsible for PC port, not Tequila Works, which i think developing console versions only.

Would you consider to wait for more PC impressions? As i've said already, my experience alone can't be 100% indicative of a bad / flawed PC port so please check other reviews / opinions to see if someone else other than me has performance problems. Maybe DF will put up their performance analysis soon.

Pat

I became interested by the game not too long ago to add another great value to my Switch... But not only I just found out the game is 10$ more on that system, but I also live in Canada where the $CAN is pure shit...

So it's 50$+tx (Quebec) which comes to approximately 57,49$. Sorry GreyBox Games. :(

WITHE1982

Some very good reviews so far.

TBH the score was never going to alter my decision to buy or not and, having read a few, I'm confident it's the kind of game I'll enjoy a great deal.

There's obvious comparisons to ICO and *TLG, lots of collecting, relatively easy puzzles (as i'm a dullard), a fascinating and beautiful world to explore and an awesome soundtrack.

On the negative side it looks like there's some definite frame rate dips (which I can live with TBH) and the controls can be a bit temperamental (*see TLG).

Now just to decide on digital or physical.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
IN for the easy puzzles.

This is a pet peeve of mine... are you free to backtrack and re-explore previous areas at anytime?
Nope, when it comes to full levels, but when you complete your first playthrough you can choose levels to find collectables and story stuff you've missed the first time :)

Anyone knows if PS4 boost mode improves performance? Forgot to try that myself ( still at work )

Edit: just got home and checked. No improvements with boost mode enabled it seems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regarding performance on the PC:

Ah, right. Aforementioned other GAFer [with a 5820K and 1080] says it hovers around 40-50fps for him at 1080p and max in-game settings, so, yeah, it does seem that the PC version needs more time in the metaphorical oven.

Edit: Oh, the max AA setting is SSAA (i.e. supersampling). 110+fps when using TXAA, stable 120fps when using FXAA. It looks like Agent and Karak just got caught off guard by the rare inclusion of supersampling.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Regarding performance on the PC:
I've already said that i haven't used SSAO during my playthrough, i've used TXAA which is not taxing at all. I've tryed litelally every setting available in the game and shadows was the one and only taxing thing besides SSAO which again, i havent used during my playthrough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've already said that i haven't used SSAO during my playthrough, i've used TXAA which is not taxing at all. I've tryed littelary every setting in the game and shadows was the one and only taxing thing besides SSAO which again, i havent used during my playthrough.

Oh, sorry, I misread "aliasing" as "ambient" and thought you were referring to ambient occlusion as that's what SSAO is. In any case, clearly the game isn't supposed to run as poorly as it does on your system, which is encouraging.

ACE 1991

This isn't a big release, nor a major genre (ie puzzle focused, exploration-heavy, environmental storytelling adventure). This is the kind of genre where you'd expect a less homogenous reception. Did you find the puzzles easy, hard, or just right? If puzzles are easy, do you consider that a flaw? Is what makes a game like this enjoyable the challenge of the puzzles or the thrill of the exploration? Did you connect with a wordless narrative? Was the narrative effective? And so on

Yes, you're right. There are a lot more reviews out now.

tried some last night, lovely stuff. Do wish they'd used the extra power of the pro for something other than boosting an unlocked frame rate, its pretty fluctuating.

Dariuas, if there's any way to patch in an option to lock at 30, that would be awesome.

Overall a very beautiful and moving game.
The visuals are obviously amazing. The soundtrack is one of the best.
And the island you start off on is a lot of fun. I got a great sense of exploration and mystery from it. I wanted to figure out what the story behind the boy was. And I wanted to uncover every secret this island had.
The story itself (there was actually a bit more story than I was expecting in this game) was pretty good.

That said the game wasn’t what I wanted out of it and took a big dip in the middle (around a 3 hour long dip) one level focusses way too much on action packed platforming, which doesn’t feel great in this game.
And the level after that is just room after room after room of not very intriguing and easy puzzles. It picks up at the end but by then it was a bit too late for me and before I knew it the game was over.

Unfortunately wanted to like it a bit more than I ended up doing. Still had fun with the game.

Cmagus

Almost done downloading, I'm off work today so I think I'm gonna one shot it from start to finish then clean up the achievements after.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Wow it's only $79 in Australia for the Switch version. $20 more than the PS4/X1 version.

DDzx_f-maxage-0.gif

Top Bottom