• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Review Thread

GymWolf

This is where you are mistaking...This is Massive, not Ubisoft....is like equating guerilla with sony and say that sony didnt nailed the combat vs humans in HZ.
Potató potato, massive is still under ubisoft and it's not like division games showed groundbreaking gunplay that was vastly superior to far cry, it was just good at best.

King Dazzar

Ya. FC 5 and 6 were just sort of messes. Now I admit 5 is better with patches and just casually but their sheer fright over having something NOT happen every 40 seconds kills it.
Was watching one of the Rockstar devs stream it and some of the Bungie and Horizon devs in the chat and all of them gush over it was pretty cool, even with some bugs its got. I always dig it when devs dig other developers' work when not in a full company hat.

Really excited to see Snowdrop being the engine for the new Far Cry games because this thing shows just how behind the Dunia engine is. Snowdrops handling of assets as well as consolidation of workflows has helped tremendously.
I respect your reviews and that you're a passionate gamer. But I just cant agree with you on Far Cry 5 and 6 being messes. 6 had some technical engine issues and for me was way too easy, but still loved both of them. But now as you didnt like FC 5&6 but liked Avatar, it makes me wonder if I wont like Avatar lol Oh well, will have to wait for more impressions. Did you get to try either of the console versions and any performance impressions?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Too bad it’s being held back from steam.

Hey Ubisoft..

elon-musk-gfy.gif

Too bad it’s being held back from steam.

Hey Ubisoft..

elon-musk-gfy.gif
Yeah, I was actually looking to. Was just gonna add it to my follow list for a future sale and was surprised not to see it. I thought Ubisoftened their stance on putting games back on Steam? I know Valhalla came to Steam recently. Though I just checked and see Mirage isn't on there as well.

6 pages in and I'm just now learning it's not available on Steam?
Instead I'll stick with my original plan, If Baldurs Gate 3 wins game of the year tonight I'll buy that on PC.

TrebleShot

Had some credit on my PS5 so picked it up, runs mostly under 60 in performance mode sort of high to low 50fps.

Haptics fantastic as always, audio amazing too.

Resolution looks fairly low but not unplayable
If I had to guess 1080p upscaled , looks like medium settings.

Once you start playing you won’t notice too much.

Has full haptics and cross save on PC , massive props to Ubisoft to that approach.
Where dem PS5 impressions at

Will download after work

Closing out the year with bonafide junkfood gaming

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Had some credit on my PS5 so picked it up, runs mostly under 60 in performance mode sort of high to low 50fps.

If I had to guess 1080p upscaled , looks like medium settings.

Has full haptics and cross save on PC , massive props to Ubisoft to that approach.

Nice. Quality mode it is. I wanna see the graphics in all of their splendor.

King Dazzar

If I had to guess 1080p upscaled
, looks like medium settings.

Thanks, that's me out then.

Exactly. 7/10 for me means wait a bit because it will probably go on sale, but does not mean the game is bad at all. Like you, I've played plenty of really good 7/10 games. This 8+/10 or nah attitude is really strange to me.
Thank you 😊. I was waiting for someone to say this. 7/10 should not be considered trash. I just don’t get Gaf at times. 🤷‍♂️
I will wait for a sale on the game though. Mostly because of backlog. 😅

Flabagast

Ya. FC 5 and 6 were just sort of messes. Now I admit 5 is better with patches and just casually but their sheer fright over having something NOT happen every 40 seconds kills it.
Was watching one of the Rockstar devs stream it and some of the Bungie and Horizon devs in the chat and all of them gush over it was pretty cool, even with some bugs its got. I always dig it when devs dig other developers' work when not in a full company hat.

Really excited to see Snowdrop being the engine for the new Far Cry games because this thing shows just how behind the Dunia engine is. Snowdrops handling of assets as well as consolidation of workflows has helped tremendously.
For info what was the stream you watched ?

Pey.

How much frames do you get from fsr3 compared to dlss+ quality? If it is like a couple of frames is not worthy, but if we are talking like 15-20 frames i could try amd reconstruction...

It's like 50% more FPS, so it's definitely worth it.

any word on console performance and settings? i cannot find anything online and no console code was provided for reviews. i dont want to spend 75 bucks on a console version that has no reviews online

Denton

Played few hours on PC. It feels like a Far Cry game, hell even the engine feels like Dunia eventhough it is Snowdrop.
Story-wise it is cliche-ridden trash of course.
Graphics is great, runs 60fps stable on ultra, no issues.
I think I might have fun with it, but I will prioritize the main questline. Not gonna spend 50 hours in this.

I don't care even a bit about avatar franchise but what you do in the game make sense.
I will say I'm pleasantly surprised by the game so far. It VERY much is Far Cry Primal + Avatar.

I'm not a big Avatar fan by any stretch. I think I watched the first one 3 times or so and the 2nd movie once. I enjoyed them enough, they are spectacle through and through and the game seems to capture that forest really well.

I'm enjoying it way more than I expected at least. I really dug Primal and 5 but thought FC6 kinda sucked. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I've enjoyed Far Cry enough. Especially in the co-op setting. I'm hoping I can convince someone to rent it for a month like me and give it a shot.

I think Snowdrop is a really impressive piece of tech and so far from what I've played and seen with Avatar, it really is a looker. Not perfect, maybe not the best, but it's gotta be up there. It looks great on PC.

Zathalus

Using -unlockmaxsettings in the command line allows a even higher graphical preset to be selected. It will absolutely murder FPS though. 4090 and 1440p with these settings drops to the 40s.

GymWolf

I will say I'm pleasantly surprised by the game so far. It VERY much is Far Cry Primal + Avatar.

I'm not a big Avatar fan by any stretch. I think I watched the first one 3 times or so and the 2nd movie once. I enjoyed them enough, they are spectacle through and through and the game seems to capture that forest really well.

I'm enjoying it way more than I expected at least. I really dug Primal and 5 but thought FC6 kinda sucked. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I've enjoyed Far Cry enough. Especially in the co-op setting. I'm hoping I can convince someone to rent it for a month like me and give it a shot.

I think Snowdrop is a really impressive piece of tech and so far from what I've played and seen with Avatar, it really is a looker. Not perfect, maybe not the best, but it's gotta be up there. It looks great on PC.
It's decent for now, great graphic and the bow\melee feels powerfull enough, and i can see having fun with the parkour.

But having minigames to pick plants and fruit must be one of the most stupid ideas i ever seen, i get that the fuglies are in touch with the nature and shit, but you can't put minigames when harvesting is the main way to upgrade stuff, you pick stuff all the time in this game.

Yeah i enjoyed primal way more than fc 5 or 6, and this one is more similar to primal.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So what resolution is performance mode on ps5? 1080p upscale to 4k to get 60fps ?

On PC is a 3080 in 4k going to do ok or is this a 4090 only club game like Alan wake 2?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So what resolution is performance mode on ps5? 1080p upscale to 4k to get 60fps ?

On PC is a 3080 in 4k going to do ok or is this a 4090 only club game like Alan wake 2?
Can’t look worse than aw2 on ps5. Seriously. Devs need to stop using fsr2. Just fucking 1080p with taa if you must. Use fsr1 to upscale which is just bilinear upscale but a bit better.
But by god…. Never use fsr2. It ruins image quality and it’s not free. They could get higher base res without using this terrible upscale.

Last edited:

Ywap

The visuals are really something else 🤤

The only thing i find average is the water. The ripples move way to fast, and what to me feels like at a very low framerate. Just me or?

AJBungah

Neo Member
Played for about 5 hours on PS5. My thoughts:

It's absolutely gorgeous to look at. I played on Quality mode first but switched to Performance when I started to get in more fights. It still looks amazing and that increase in framerate is arguably essential in my eyes because it's parkour/aim heavy.

The sound is fantastic, the feedback on the DS5 is very well implemented.

The combat is fun on the whole but I think there are too many mech suit enemies personally.

BUT

The story, characters, quests, dialogue are all pretty trash which I guess is on brand. Also most of the additional gameplay systems feel very half baked and tacked on to include resource gathering, cooking, crafting as well as fairly uninteresting +% skill trees.

It's by no means a bad game but I'm going to return it tomorrow and recoup some money while it's still at a higher value.

King Dazzar

Modern day gamers wants huge boss battles and cinematic set pieces, it's sad how much gaming has fallen, avatar is not about that its about immersion ubisoft nailed it here
Well I dont. The problem is. From what I've been reading. Its not very immersive if it doesn't hold a locked 60fps on either of my consoles and the story and missions are bland. It comes across as the blandness of things is immersion breaking in of itself. i.e they've created a lovely looking world, which has technical issues, together with a fatiguing gameplay loop.

I've yet to play it myself, but these are the impressions I've got. And I aint dropping £70 to £115 on that basis.

sendit

Livestream, PS5.

Edit: my god what a snoozefest (both the game and the streamer, lol).

I'm about 5 hours in to the PC version. Struggling to continue, gameplay loop isn't capturing my attention. Pretty game sometimes, visuals are way too inconsistent.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The game is a looker on highend PCs. Shame it's a first person game.

Random, but earlier today, I had a discussion with a buddy who happens to work at Ubisoft. We were talking about Avatar and how disappointed they are that a 120Hz VRR mode hasn't been implemented for current-gen consoles (they're playing it on the PS5). They believe it could have helped in improving the latency, given that the game doesn't really drop below 48 fps in performance mode, thus staying within the VRR window.

Now, here's the interesting part they shared with me. They're actually part of the dev team working on an upcoming Snowdrop Engine title slated for release in the future, and they're intent on pushing hard for a 120Hz VRR mode on both XSX and PS5 in this game which I can't really name.

Last edited:
Top Bottom