• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC - An Incredible Showcase For Cutting-Edge Real-Time Graphics

Quite literally one of the most gorgeous and technologically advanced games of the generation, showing what's possible on modern hardware.

Ubisoft Massive's Avatar Frontiers of Pandora is a simply incredible game, the studio's Snowdrop Engine entering the next generation age with a stunning level of detail and ray traced lighting.

In this exploration of the game, Alex Battaglia takes us through Avatar, showcases its micro and macro-level detail - and in a last-minute change to the video, talks us through the 'unobtainium' max settings preset that addresses almost all of his minor quibbles on the game's visual features.

Last edited:
The game looks stunning on my 4090.

I even unlocked the unobtanium settings and played with that. As long as you don't set DLSS to Quality or Ultra it's possible to play with minimal dips below 60fps with Unobtanium Settings on a 4090.

This game and Cyberpunk 2077 are the new Crysis of this generation lol (Also Star Citizen as well but that's not out yet so it's disqualified)

Last edited:
Imagine how it would look if the xss wasn't holding it back..
Neither Xbox nor PS5 are holding back PC at Unobtanium settings. I wouldn't be surprised if not even the PS6 will be able to run Avatar at Unobtanium settings at 60fps. Very similar to Control last gen, the PS4 and X1 ran the game at lower settings while the PC version was state of the art technology with RT GI (like Avatar but on a last gen game which is 8nsane to imagine), RT Reflections, RT Shadows and RT AO.

The PS5 comes out with next gen hardware, 7 years of hardware advancement since the PS4 and it still can't run control at max settings, 0 RT GI and only RT reflections and shadows at lower fidelity because those are easier to run. Maybe the PS6 will be able to run control like the 2080ti could 5 years ago and maybe it'll be able to run Avatar at Unobtanium settings but I guarantee you the PS5 and PS5 Pro will absolutely not, this game screams on PC regardless of what the consoles are capable of.

I even unlocked the unobtanium settings and played with that. As long as you don't set DLSS to Quality or Ultra it's possible to play with minimal dips below 60fps with Unobtanium Settings on a 4090.
What is the benefit of this, wouldn’t you lose fidelity on a 4k set?

I got this game free with my 7800x3d and it crashes after 15 minutes every time I run it. No other games seem to do it.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
The game looks stunning on my 4090.

This game and Cyberpunk 2077 are the new Crysis of this generation lol (Also Star Citizen as well but that's not out yet so it's disqualified)

What is the 'unobtanium' setting and how do you unlock it ? I also have a 4090 + 7800X3D, so i am considering getting it after seeing all the positive press about it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Imagine how it would look if the xss wasn't holding it back..
PS5 is the baseline. It targets 1440p 30 fps and might even drop below it. Thats basically what you want as a baseline this gen.

Thats what Matrix targeted, what the first UE5 demo targeted and what most next gen games should target. XSS is probably around 720p-900p with lower settings. At this point, its not holding back anything. This and AW2 are the games that prove this.

SlimySnake

What is the 'unobtanium' setting and how do you unlock it ? I also have a 4090 + 7800X3D, so i am considering getting it after seeing all the positive press about it.
Devs didnt want to add an Ultra setting that completely tanked framerates on even a 4090, so they hid it as a command line option when starting the game. Its basically future proofing the game. It will increase draw distance so that there is no pop-in as well as maxing out vram usage among other settings that are tweaked even on the current ultra settings.

Skip to the automation section to see more details on how to activate it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

AUTOMATION​

The PC Benchmark for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora allows for fully automated testing via starting the game with specific command line options. When the game is run from the Ubisoft Connect app, additional command line parameters can be supplied via the properties menu for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora: Under "Game launch arguments" the button "add command line arguments" allows for adding command line parameters. The following table describes the available command line parameter options:

-unlockmaxsettingsUnlock the additional "Unobtanium" preset that exceeds the "Ultra" preset. Unlocks also the corresponding extended values for some graphics settings used by the "Unobtanium" preset. This preset is extremely difficult to run on currently available hardware and is meant to really stress future hardware to keep theAvatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC Benchmark relevant for years to come.

What is the benefit of this, wouldn’t you lose fidelity on a 4k set?

I got this game free with my 7800x3d and it crashes after 15 minutes every time I run it. No other games seem to do it.
Zero or almost zero pop-in like SlimySnake said. It's pretty nuts to see it in action, it looks really good.

TrebleShot

It looks nice but brings the 4090 to its knees , 40fps in dense areas.

Personally should have just waited till better hardware is out to unlock this mode.

Kind of mad to sit there with such a beastly card that buckles under the weight of this game.

Crazy

SlimySnake

GzaSZp6.gif

Vick

It's the best looking game of the generation. A true masterpiece in audio visual design.
I've only seen the DF video and all I can think is.. are you guys on drugs or something?

That last gen (last, last gen?) level of geometry alone stops this game from being "the best looking game of the generation".

I literally don't see a single impressive thing in this.. except for maybe LOD management (actually no, as soon as you fly)? Help me understand please.

Last edited:

Vick

Like, what the actual fuck is this?

HD Texture Mod on a PS3 game?

K4mU4Xa.png

Edit:

Okay, those bioluminescent nights are dope.
And I guess RT all over the place is the reason for those impressions, despite it being imo not impressive looking at all as a whole.
That geometry is just too blocky on a macro scale, and those plain ugly sharp shadows on water.. we've seen volumetric water shadows tech a generation ahead on some PS4 games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I've only seen the DF video and all I can think is.. are you guys on drugs or something?

That last gen (last, last gen?) level of geometry alone stops this game from being "the best looking game of the generation".

I literally don't see a single impressive thing in this.. except for maybe LOD management? Help me understand please.

This is the most foliage rich most detailed game ever created. This is not the kind of game that has much geometry when 99% of the game is foliage and trees. And that’s what everyone is losing their shit over.

aYlPhWL.gif

K3WIYZh.gif

xR2mydw.gif

If you watched the entire 20 minute df video and still don’t get why people think it looks amazing then nothing i say or show will make convince you.

Last edited:

Vick

This is the most foliage rich most detailed game ever created. This is not the kind of game that has much geometry when 99% of the game is foliage and trees. And that’s what everyone is losing their shit over.

aYlPhWL.gif

K3WIYZh.gif

xR2mydw.gif

If you watched the entire 20 minute df video and still don’t get why people think it looks amazing then nothing i say or show will make convince you.
Yeah I mean, guess you have a point.

But still, I would rather have this level of density:

If it means I get this geometry:

horizonforbiddenwest_5wjnh.png

horizonforbiddenwest_xfjhb.png

horizonforbiddenwest_t5kwg.png

horizonforbiddenwest_ynj58.png

Or better yet, not having to choose at all as this above is PS4 game and the other a current gen exclusive running on a 4090 at future proof settings.

Last edited:
The game definitely looks fantastic, especially on PC where you can ramp up the settings to the performance-sapping Unobtainium preset, but even on those maxed out settings the game still has some rather jarring pop in and LOD issues, particularly on the trees, that takes me out of the experience. The engine definitely needs something like Nanite or at least far better LOD management. I mean the trees literally pop in or switch LODs instantly rather than transitioning or fading in in a less obvious way. Even on foot this is an issue, more so when running at speed, but in the air in is even worse and does distract from the otherwise pristine graphical presentation in my opinion.

hyperbertha

It looks better than forbidden west by a significant margin. While the lighting quality is the same, the textures and sheer density of detail is a notch above. Best looking game so far. Just like ac unity was last gen when it came out.

GymWolf

I can confirm, the game is probably top 3 best graphic right now, and if you like natural environment\jungles then it's number 1.

Weak points are humans models (just decent) and the water that is pretty underwhelming.

:messenger_astonished: :messenger_open_mouth: Turned on AMD FSR3 and Frame Generation On and I'm getting 60-80fps most of the time with Ultra Qulaity Scaling in Unobtanium Settings on my 4090. I think this is the best way to play the game. Looks incredible fully maxed out and the input lag is negligible.

IGilno7.jpg

XrmNEXK.jpg

rLfN4Mu.jpg

kbwLdem.jpg

Senua

aYlPhWL.gif

K3WIYZh.gif

xR2mydw.gif

You're not going to convince some people that a third party game could best a Sony first party one, no matter the evidence.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I mean, guess you have a point.

But still, I would rather have this level of density:

If it means I get this geometry:

horizonforbiddenwest_5wjnh.png

horizonforbiddenwest_xfjhb.png

horizonforbiddenwest_t5kwg.png

horizonforbiddenwest_ynj58.png

Or better yet, not having to choose at all as this above is PS4 game and the other a current gen exclusive running on a 4090 at future proof settings.

Fw looks significantly better than avatar. I don’t know how people can say otherwise.
I trust Vick Vick the most when it comes to graphics. That man fucks.

Last edited:

Vick

You're not going to convince some people that a third party game could best a Sony first party one, no matter the evidence.
retarded-retard.gif

It's The Matrix Awakens, obviously.

After that it's The Order: 1886 still.

For best Open World, it's a tie between Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out on PC and RDR2 version 1.00 on One X/Series X.

And a reminder to certain users; title says "Current Graphics King", not technical.
I could praise RDR2 v.1.00 for days non stop, it's still the most impressive achievement I've ever seen.
Thousands of damn hours, not a single "this looks meh" and countless "Oh my God"...
The Matrix Awakens, no doubt.
The most impressive game ever made.
Pre-downgrades (LOD, light sources, AO), version 1.00 still looks mindblowing on every console.

All In-Game, PS4Pro:

kW7O9mH.png

hxFVE7A.png

xPOZqUO.png

QB4MMc3.png

vQm3BIq.png

OEOXQyY.png

zs93XBF.png

NO4UAR1.png

scirkhT.png

cE1T5Rd.png

tQ4P9uY.png

9HKtaxB.png

yJHj8wp.png

hiQ3gok.png

kREXrBc.png

AiAENHp.png

Qxf8l6c.png

GJ9XfEl.png
But still, i don't. Forbidden West is still cross-gen game at its core, and i certainly agree about lighting being more impressive from an artistic point of view and in need of RT in interiors.

From "an objective POV", as you say, the best looking "game" ever is very obviously The Matrix Awakens.

fCP9vIg.gif

The-Matrix-Awakens-An-Unreal-Engine-5-Experience-1.gif

b2a007de57984abc924610b04dda0e98

u1Qncli.gif

The-Matrix-Awakens_-An-Unreal-Engine-5-Experience_20211210012114.png

thematrixawakens_anunz3k0n.jpg

1639639383-the-matrix-awakens-an-unreal-engine-5-experience-20211214112317.jpg

The_Matrix_Awakens__An_Unreal_Engine_5_Experience_2021-12-10_15-44-41.jpg

thematrixawakens_anunptk5w.jpg

rQWb1Ow.gif

EG6Cscb.gif

Always insecure little fellas around when discussing graphics on this place.

The foliage looks very impressive (probably the best jungle I've ever seen in a game), but the geometry on those rocks is PS4 level. The character models are also a notch below other current-gen top tier games like phantom liberty and forbidden west. Def not the best looking current-gen game and yes I watched the whole DF video.
Yea, HFW has superior rock geometry no doubt and better water too. Avatar has better foliage and draw distance.

That's why I'm not gonna compare them directly.

Last edited:
I can confirm, the game is probably top 3 best graphic right now, and if you like natural environment\jungles then it's number 1.

Weak points are humans models (just decent) and the water that is pretty underwhelming.
Snowdrop first water anvil engine water is great

Vick

I wasn't talking about you, but as he replied to you I get how it looks. Apologies!
Well, apologies from me as well then.

Just be clear though, you're 100% right that some many people are blinded by bias, but in case you're referring to rofif rofif that's not the case in the slightest. Dude's as genuine as they come, if he says something is always because he believes it, just like SlimySnake SlimySnake . Tomorrow a games comes out as exclusive on Xbox and it slays PS exclusives, he'll be the first to say it and praise it all around the Forum.'
He's got a monster PC as wel. I'm theoretically waaay more biased even for the simple reason I only play current gen games on PS5, and until recently lots of them were Sony "exclusives".

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fw looks significantly better than avatar. I don’t know how people can say otherwise.
I trust Vick Vick the most when it comes to graphics. That man fucks.
Those rocks are very rare, most rocks looks on par with avatar rocks.

I used the same pics to prove a point in the past but those rocks are just a small sample.

Where horizon beat avatar is water tech, human models and enemy models.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Is this really what classes for incredible nowadays? It is nothing impressive imo. I haven't checked nor do I care what platforms it's on or not on, so please don't accuse me of taking sides in some silly imagined war.

Senua

Is this really what classes for incredible nowadays? It is nothing impressive imo. I haven't checked nor do I care what platforms it's on or not on, so please don't accuse me of taking sides in some silly imagined war.
How are you not impressed by the foliage? It looks nuts.

Vick

Well now I'm intrigued.
How's the game buddy?

At least you are admitting your insecurity, that is the first step. The time it must've taken to do all those quotes and post those images, bless :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Top right Search "Most impressive game" by Member.. two minutes at the very max. But yet again, luckily I'm no retarded.
Great contribution to the thread though. :messenger_ok:

makaveli60

I literally don't see a single impressive thing in this.. except for maybe LOD management (actually no, as soon as you fly)? Help me understand please.
For PCMR types the point is not how something looks but how much it stresses their precious hardware. If it stresses enough and the same cannot be reproduced on consoles then it automatically looks better than anything, no matter the visuals on display.
And I don’t want to judge Avatar yet as I haven’t seen enough, I just pointed out the obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom