• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC vs PS5 Graphics, Optimised Settings, FSR 3 Breakdown

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You mentioned the 2070s so I just looked it up.

What is the point in comparing a $500 dollar gaming machine to a much more expensive one? To prove that the more expensive option is better? Amazing insight really.
Oh, just another troll. Carry on then.

Senua

Sure, share the settings, no need for a whole video, is there?
So they should make a 2 second video showing the settings in the menu and it just ends? All because these videos triggers insecure man children like yourself? Nah. They'll continue to make them and be viewed by thousands while you moan on neogaf about them. It's really worth ya energy.

twilo99

Lost cause...

I know my PC can run most games better than my console, that is why I spent almost 10x more money on it, but just in case I was in doubt and needed to reassure myself, I know what to look for.

Last edited:

Senua

Lost cause...

I know my PC can run most games better than my console, that is why I spent almost 10x time more money on it, but just in case I was in doubt and needed to reassure myself, I know what to look for.
Yes because everyone has 5k PC such as yourself, your holiness

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With DF, why is it always a PS5 face off with the PC? Wouldn't the Series X be a better benchmark in terms of "The Worlds Most Powerful Console".

What's funny is, there posts recently where people were saying why do they show series x and not playstation 5, when it's the more popular console.

I can't remember the threads. Maybe someone else can and can link.

Seems whatever they do, it's wrong to someone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's funny is, there posts recently where people were saying why do they show series x and not playstation 5, when it's the more popular console.

I can't remember the threads. Maybe someone else can and can link.

Seems whatever they do, it's wrong to someone.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Denton

Sure, share the settings, no need for a whole video, is there?
If you do not care for it, why watch it, and why shit up the thread? I mean to anyone with functional braincell it should not be surprising that some people who are interested in games and their tech like seeing these breakdowns, seeing exactly what settings console is running, what each and every setting does, how midrange PCs run it, how it differs from highend hardware, etc.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Not seeing the 2700 Super...
4060 is in the same performance bracket for $300. Although, this is still pathetic. The 2070S is 5 years old and its performance should be obtainable for $200 at most. More like $150-180 even.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wtf he spends half of this vid talking about pc and his amazing unobtanium settings again? in console comparison video....
That said - ps5 performance mode looks fucking identical to retardanium pc settings on a 4090.
Like. .. it's the same picutre.
OH YEAH THERE IS 1 STEP MORE IN SHADOWS ON PS5 OH GOD
yeah fsr sucks ass. Obviously as always. DLSS is better. but it still looks essentially the same on ps5.
Pc version is a bit sharper and then a bit more in motion. Of course... at least compared to ps5 perf mode. Quality mode is better obviously.
This speaks to more parity since ubisoft focused on console versions. Stark comparison to terrible aw2 consoles version with grainy ssr and no good fallback from pc ultra settings

Another zooming 800% video and praising pc for nothing.
edit: Like.. he makes it sound with "wow such unobtaanium 4090" settings that you would actually see some difference... some real difference clear as day...
hpLfVJp.png

digjljH.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

Wtf he spends half of this vid talking about pc and his amazing unobtanium settings again? in console comparison video....
He spends 2 minutes and 44 seconds talking about Unobtanium settings.
That said - ps5 performance mode looks fucking identical to retardanium pc settings on a 4090.
It doesn't. Stop fucking lying. This shot has a pronounced different in the reflection quality when it actually moves, not when you capture a still that doesn't show the reflections rippling. That said, Unobtanium is simply a setting that increases sample and resolution counts. It really fine tunes micro details and small elements. It doesn't look much better than the Ultra or even High preset.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He spends 2 minutes and 44 seconds talking about Unobtanium settings.

It doesn't. Stop fucking lying. This shot has a pronounced different in the reflection quality when it actually moves, not when you capture a still that doesn't show the reflections rippling. That said, Unobtanium is simply a setting that increases sample and resolution counts. It really fine tunes micro details and small elements. It doesn't look much better than the Ultra or even High preset.
fine tuned micro details means there is no difference. not the one you would expect from Alex praising it.
It's just the same game on pc and ps5. Only sharper on pc especially in motion

Gaiff

fine tuned micro details means there is no difference.
Fine tuned from Ultra, not Medium. Medium has many problems with the game in motion and reflections.
not the one you would expect from Alex praising it.
And not identical either.
It's just the same game on pc and ps5. Only sharper on pc especially in motion
Of course, it's the same game. What were you expecting? Unobtanium is a hidden preset. Nice to have for future GPUs, but doesn't do much beyond Ultra or even high.

shamoomoo

OH YEAH THERE IS 1 STEP MORE IN SHADOWS ON PS5 OH GOD
yeah fsr sucks ass. Obviously as always. DLSS is better. but it still looks essentially the same on ps5.
Pc version is a bit sharper and then a bit more in motion. Of course... at least compared to ps5 perf mode. Quality mode is better obviously.
This speaks to more parity since ubisoft focused on console versions. Stark comparison to terrible aw2 consoles version with grainy ssr and no good fallback from pc ultra settings

Another zooming 800% video and praising pc for nothing.
edit: Like.. he makes it sound with "wow such unobtaanium 4090" settings that you would actually see some difference... some real difference clear as day...
hpLfVJp.png

digjljH.jpg
Maybe the difference was caused by Nvidia wanting path tracing on their cards.

SolidQ

fine tuned micro details means there is no difference.
Because today games tends very little difference between medium/max. In real time it's even zero difference. Only on screenshot/comparision you can find small details, but difference not worth on 4090 4k@25-30fps

Denton

The difference between optimized settings and ultra (let alone unobtainium) is pretty huge when actually playing. Specifically in LoDs and quality of shadows and reflections, plus stability of the image.
Unobtainium is ridiculously heavy though - I get 40fps, while on ultra I get 80. They did the right thing locking it behind runtime command.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Unobtanium.gif

rofif rofif You can't seriously tell me the reflections look identical. However, Unobtanium's reflections aren't much better than Ultra.

The difference between optimized settings and ultra (let alone unobtainium) is pretty huge when actually playing. Specifically in LoDs and quality of shadows and reflections, plus stability of the image.
Unobtainium is ridiculously heavy though - I get 40fps, while on ultra I get 80. They did the right thing locking it behind runtime command.
Yeah, but the shadows are kind of bad even at max settings.

NEadBSz.png

This game could have made used of ray traced shadows.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's criminal and frankly uncharacteristic of them to casually mention the use of mesh shader for console optimization. I didn’t even know the game implemented the tech in any capacity. Would've liked them to discuss its relative impact on the game.

Gaiff

It's criminal and frankly uncharacteristic of them to casually mention the use of mesh shader for console optimization. I didn’t even know the game implemented the tech in any capacity. Would've liked them to discuss its relative impact on the game.
There's a whole technical interview they did with the lead artists and graphics engineer. We actually have a thread that sadly didn't see much traction.

There's some cool stuff they did for console optimization.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...and-snowdrop-the-big-developer-tech-interview

Mesh shaders is one thing they did but they also used a different method for building the BVH on consoles.

Oleksandr Koshlo: We have a custom solution for the BVH on consoles. Since we are not relying on their APIs, we pre-build the bottom-level BVH for meshes offline to get higher quality. Then we built our own custom solution for the BVH in a way that allows us to build the top-level BVH on the CPU - whereas with DXR and existing APIs, the way you do this is that you send all of your instances to the GPU, and the GPU creates an acceleration structure. We rely on caching a lot, and we only rebuild things that have changed. This allows us to actually efficiently build the top level on the CPU and saves us some GPU time on that.
They go more in-depth about the usage of mesh shaders as well. They don't mention the impact but the implication is that it is more performant than the traditional vertex path used on PC. This could explain in part why the 2070S doesn't have a significant advantage over the consoles despite this game using quite a bit of hardware-accelerated rt, but I would attribute this more to the fact that the consoles GPUs aren't even used to build the BVH, offloading precious rendering time from the GPU.

SKYF@ll

With DF, why is it always a PS5 face off with the PC? Wouldn't the Series X be a better benchmark in terms of "The Worlds Most Powerful Console".
The reason is that there are a large number of PS5 users.
(PS5:50M vs. XSX:10-12M)
The performance of XSX and PS5 is similar, so there should be no problem.

Wait, mesh shaders implemented on PS5, again? I thought it was not possible according to them (and him specifically). Guess this is why he barely mentioned it. Imagine if a game shipped with mesh shaders on Xbox and not on PS5, they would have made dozen of articles about it. But hey we were wrong (Mesh shaders is not a true RDNA2 feature ™), better not talk about it...ever.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Unobtanium.gif

rofif rofif You can't seriously tell me the reflections look identical. However, Unobtanium's reflections aren't much better than Ultra.

Yeah, but the shadows are kind of bad even at max settings.

NEadBSz.png

This game could have made used of ray traced shadows.
Yeah, the difference in quality is rather stark in some areas. I'd say PC nets you the following main graphical upgrades:

1. Higher resolution, significantly so if you have the hardware for it.
2. DLSS is simply far better then FSR at almost every metric.
3. Much better volumetrics.
4. More detailed shadow quality.
5. Sharper reflections that are also nicer in motion.

You really need a 3090/4070 Ti/7900 XT or better to really take advantage of the last three though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What does "against PC" even mean... which PC?

If they can build a PC for $500 then I would be interested, but comparing a mobile zen2 CPU with a mediocre GPU against even a low end PC is just stupid.

If they wanted to compare a "PC" to a series X they will have to build one for $350 ... good luck with that

It's funny how the Zen 2 has supposedly become a "mobile CPU", after being viewed as a very big upgrade over the Jaguar before these consoles launched. Which mobile devices have that CPU?

Last edited:

twilo99

It's funny how the Zen 2 has supposedly become a "mobile CPU", after being viewed as a very big upgrade over the Jaguar before these consoles launched. Which mobile devices have that CPU?

The ones in the PS5 and the series s/x are practically the mobile/laptop versions of Zen2

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's funny that the Zen 2 has become a "mobile CPU" (just like the Jaguar, which actually was). Which mobile devices have that CPU?
The Zen 2 in the consoles are the Zen 2 variants that have the cut down L3 cache system and lower clock speeds.

For example: https://www.amd.com/en/product/10196

Mobile is easier to say then 'smaller cache and lower clock speed' Zen 2. Doesn't really roll off the tongue. Reduced cache variants of Zen processors are generally found in lower powered devices and laptops as well. Steam Deck also uses it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Zen 2 in the consoles are the Zen 2 variants that have the cut down L3 cache system and lower clock speeds.

Mobile is easier to say then 'smaller cache and lower clock speed' Zen 2. Doesn't really roll off the tongue. Reduced cache variants of Zen processors are generally found in lower powered devices and laptops as well. Steam Deck also uses it.

But is the one in the Deck as powerful as the one in the PS5/XSX?

I just think it's silly to call it "mobile" when that's not really the case.

twilo99

Right, I think their custom Ryzen 7 3700 with some tech from the Renoir line to lower the power draw.

Zathalus

But is the one in the Deck as powerful as the one in the PS5/XSX?

I just think it's silly to call it "mobile" when that's not really the case.
It's exactly the same CPU, just 4 core instead of 8. Asus ROG Ally actually has a more powerful CPU then either console and it is also the 'mobile' version of Zen 4.

I suppose you can use the words laptop or notebook instead. Consoles use the notebook version of Zen 2 works just as well.

shamoomoo

The reason is that there are a large number of PS5 users.
(PS5:50M vs. XSX:10-12M)
The performance of XSX and PS5 is similar, so there should be no problem.
Yes and no,if the analysis was done right;the Series X has a slight resolution and performance advantage over the PS5.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's exactly the same CPU, just 4 core instead of 8. Asus ROG Ally actually has a more powerful CPU then either console and it is also the 'mobile' version of Zen 4.

I suppose you can use the words laptop or notebook instead. Consoles use the notebook version of Zen 2 works just as well.

Saying it's a laptop CPU doesn't really mean much though. Expensive gaming laptops can be pretty damn high end.

shamoomoo

Wait, mesh shaders implemented on PS5, again? I thought it was not possible according to them (and him specifically). Guess this is why he barely mentioned it. Imagine if a game shipped with mesh shaders on Xbox and not on PS5, they would have made dozen of articles about it. But hey we were wrong (Mesh shaders is not a true RDNA2 feature ™), better not talk about it...ever.
it's done with primitive shaders on the PS5, mesh shaders is a Microsoft term.

it's done with primitive shaders on the PS5, mesh shaders is a Microsoft term.
But they told us repeatedly that mesh shaders was a hardware unit only present in AMD GPUs since RDNA2. Finally it was just a Direct X API? What are we talking about here? Why are Mesh shaders not used in 2070 Nvidia GPUs? Why and how are Mesh shaders implemented on PS5 RDNA1 GPU? How mysterious everything is suddenly when it was so crystal clear in their propaganda articles a few months ago.

Last edited:

Zathalus

But they told us repeatedly that mesh shaders was a hardware unit only present in AMD GPUs since RDNA2. Finally it was just a Direct X API? What are we talking about here? Why are Mesh shaders not used in 2070 Nvidia GPUs? Why and how are Mesh shaders implemented on PS5 RDNA1 GPU? How mysterious everything is suddenly when it was so crystal clear in their propaganda articles a few months ago.
What article? I can't recall any recent article claiming the PS5 doesn't have mesh shaders? Or rather Primitive shaders, as that is the term Sony uses.

twilo99

Saying it's a laptop CPU doesn't really mean much though. Expensive gaming laptops can be pretty damn high end.

I’m not sure those high end laptops actually use the mobile CPU SKUs lol

Saying a laptop CPU just means it’s designed to use less power, which generally would mean that it’s less capable than its desktop counterpart from the same generation.

You need low power draw CPUs in the consoles because of their size and cooling restraints.

SKYF@ll

2miOxTb.jpg

SABRE220

Cant watch the video right now, did he compare the ps5 fidelity settings to the pc aswell or only the performance option?

Last edited:
Top Bottom