• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Usually my maps of choice for Score Attack are either Corvette or Courtyard. For Courtyard, I take out the Jackals with the Needler Rifle first (well after the ones with the annoying Focus Rifle), and pick up all of the ammo. Sometimes I can get all of the Brutes with all of the ammo, but most of the time I forget a dropped weapon or two so I have to rely on Plasma Repeaters or the Assault Rifle for the Brutes. By the time I have to do that, they're too close to the Safe Room's doors for me to use the DMR.

I usually just lead the Skirmishers to the front of the door or into the safe house so I can easily take care of them and so I have a nice supply of Plasma Pistols for the Elites.
I generally do the same, and on the same two maps (though I'll play on more now that I might be able to finish a Round). The only twist is I take out the Jackals, but let the Nerfle users come to me so I don't have to go far to round up the clips.

squidhands said:
So Mythic is all skulls on right from the start? *shivers*
I think it's just the same three (Catch, Cloud, Tough Luck) plus the Mythic skull (2x enemy health).

Chorazin

RdN said:
13k people playing Living Dead and only 5k playing Invasion.. really? Thins are worst than I thought.

Yeah, let's jump to conclusions when it's not even after work hours for half the Halo-playing world.

MrDaravon

RdN said:
13k people playing Living Dead and only 5k playing Invasion.. really? Thins are worst than I thought.

Invasion kinda sucks right now; desperately needs new maps and balancing, and half of the two maps aren't used at ALL on Invasion Slayer. It also really, really needs to be 8v8.

MMaRsu

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Invasion kinda sucks right now; desperately needs new maps and balancing, and half of the two maps aren't used at ALL on Invasion Slayer. It also really, really needs to be 8v8.

truth!

zumphry

Banned
squidhands said:
the Spiker is a much better weapon against the Brutes. It's a great fallback weapon once you run out of the Nerfles, since they're pretty much everywhere.

I do occasionally use it, but I usually pick up the Repeaters since they're closer to me due to the Brute Captains being able to get closer to me.

GhaleonEB said:
I generally do the same, and on the same two maps (though I'll play on more now that I might be able to finish a Round). The only twist is I take out the Jackals, but let the Nerfle users come to me so I don't have to go far to round up the clips.

Beachhead might actually be good now since there's more time so that the Elite's Phantoms don't start to spawn when there's only ten seconds left. Though I leave that (and Outpost) for Gruntpocalypse. Glacier might be good too. I hate Holdout and Waterfront with a passion. Overlook is good for Gruntpocalypse and the occasional Score Attack.

squidhands said:
Oh, that sounds waaaay more doable. :lol

Pfft. More Skulls=more fun when diving into the fray and coming out with no shields and a sliver of health.

why yes i apply these to both campaign and firefight. so what? 1v1 firefight scrub :p

Mooreberg

The new firefight round time makes it a real headache when people don't vote for the map that is offering challenge credits. Oh well, just got Get Loud gold commendation. :D

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
IBeachhead might actually be good now since there's more time so that the Elite's Phantoms don't start to spawn when there's only ten seconds left. Though I leave that (and Outpost) for Gruntpocalypse. Glacier might be good too. I hate Holdout and Waterfront with a passion. Overlook is good for Gruntpocalypse and the occasional Score Attack.
You and I see exactly alike when it comes to Score Attack. :lol

When I said I'd try other maps, I was referring to Beachhead and maybe Outpost. I can generally get to the Elites on Beachhead, and to the Skirmishers on Outpost, so another three minutes should let me finish up. I'm looking forward to the added variety.

I don't do Holdout and Waterfront, full stop. Not sure how Glacier will play, but I'm going to find out.

I'm really enjoying these longer Firefight games.

Don't get me wrong, the shorter ones are great, especially if you haven't got long to play, but with longer matches they can ramp up more, instead of getting the feeling that they've ended before things really got going.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Invasion needs some serious attention and pronto. If it wasn't the poster boy gametype of Reach with so much development time and resources spent on it there would be plans to retire it by this point.

The map selection in it is bleak - two maps get real old, real fast no matter how good they are or fit for purpose. Invasion Slayer is interesting but ultimately not as fun as a conventional BTB Slayer matches as the random weapon drops combined with the differences between the species add up to unpleasantness. Additionally, Invasion is just really difficult for the community to get it's head around it. It's not as simple as making a map and voila, sometimes it requires up to three separate map layouts with different functions for each.

Additionally Invasion has leaked over into proper BTB, particularly with the small map count. Invasion maps are simply dreadful in most BTB set-ups.

I really do want to enjoy Invasion. It can be as fun as any other mode in Halo at times but occasionally it annoys me more than anything else in Halo ever has.

RdN

Just played Swat on Asylum. First thing the other team tries to do? Get on top of my team's base sniper place.. It was funny to see them all jumping out of there. :lol

StUnNeR H2K

Dani said:
Invasion needs some serious attention and pronto. If it wasn't the poster boy gametype of Reach with so much development time and resources spent on it there would be plans to retire it by this point.

The map selection in it is bleak - two maps get real old, real fast no matter how good they are or fit for purpose. Invasion Slayer is interesting but ultimately not as fun as a conventional BTB Slayer matches as the random weapon drops combined with the differences between the species add up to unpleasantness. Additionally, Invasion is just really difficult for the community to get it's head around it. It's not as simple as making a map and voila, sometimes it requires up to three separate map layouts with different functions for each.

Additionally Invasion has leaked over into proper BTB, particularly with the small map count. Invasion maps are simply dreadful in most BTB set-ups.

I really do want to enjoy Invasion. It can be as fun as any other mode in Halo at times but occasionally it annoys me more than anything else in Halo ever has.

Agree more maps are needed. Hopefully additional DLC past the Noble Map Pack will include more BTB/Invasion maps.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You and I see exactly alike when it comes to Score Attack. :lol

When I said I'd try other maps, I was referring to Beachhead and maybe Outpost. I can generally get to the Elites on Beachhead, and to the Skirmishers on Outpost, so another three minutes should let me finish up.

I don't do Holdout and Waterfront, full stop. Not sure how Glacier will play, but I'm going to find out.

:lol

Is it just me or do you miss both Lost Platoon and Security Zone? Beachhead is similar to Lost Platoon and Overlook is similar to Security Zone, but it's not the same. Hopefully a map pack by either Bungie or 343 will have Firefight DLC (maybe a map pack like Halo 2's Maptacular?)

As for Glacier's playstyle, the base is pretty big, and it goes to the area where you first go into to be teleported to the Tribute Room. Pretty sure you can hold the front of the base and do pretty well, and maybe get on top of the base and cheese it like you can in Campaign during that
really too damn long of a
section. Though, the only custom game I played on it was me with infinite health and superspeed, crushing everyone with Rockets+Hammer so I dunno.

Kujo

Noo, got 3 double kills, almost had the fourth but my shotgun shot didn't register and the game ended qq

Just played BTB on Atom, yuck

Kuroyume

Banned
Invasion needs some serious tweaks in the first stages. A tutorial for spawning probably would have also been a good idea, although I figure most Halo fans are morons and would ignore the teammate spawning prompt regardless. They also need to do something about vehicle spawn times but that's a major issue with most of the playlists both vehicle and weapon related. In one of the last few Invasion games I got a game on Spire where there were like two banshees flying around, a few ghosts, and warthogs. It's the type of thing that makes you scratch your head considering how cramped that map feels.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
:lol

Is it just me or do you miss both Lost Platoon and Security Zone? Beachhead is similar to Lost Platoon and Overlook is similar to Security Zone, but it's not the same. Hopefully a map pack by either Bungie or 343 will have Firefight DLC (maybe a map pack like Halo 2's Maptacular?)
I miss Security Zone, but not so much Lost Platoon. On paper I loved the concept, but the epic Chopper and 'Hog runs actually got old after a while.

Though, I would like to see a slightly more vehicle-heavy variant. Reach's take on Firefight is more compact, so perhaps with a shorter play time and steeper difficulty curve - plus the big increase in anti-vehicle measures the Covenant have - it would play differently than Lost Platoon.

Doing a campaign run on legendary and it's kicking my ass. Fucking amazing gunplay, probably the best shooter AI ever, but it checkpoints at the WORST POSSIBLE TIMES. it's just silly with it. I just had a checkpoint save at HORRIBLE chokepoint with one dude shooting fucking explosive globs at me from a platform, three elites flanking me from the left and a grunt on a banshee coming at me from the right. The ONLY way I could get out of it was to snipe explosive globs asshole with a headshot, then execute a fucking perfect sniper shot on Grunt piloting the Banshee.
This game....:lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Dani said:

More maps are certainly needed. I mean we all knew it beforehand right? When the map count was announced and we knew what those maps were, we all bitched and said that new maps were needed asap. Now I'm glad we are getting Noble pack, but three maps is not enough. I'd say maybe a month later at the most give us 3 more maps for different modes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:
Invasion needs some serious tweaks in the first stages. A tutorial for spawning probably would have also been a good idea, although I figure most Halo fans are morons and would ignore the teammate spawning prompt regardless. They also need to do something about vehicle spawn times but that's a major issue with most of the playlists both vehicle and weapon related. In one of the last few Invasion games I got a game on Spire where there were like two banshees flying around, a few ghosts, and warthogs. It's the type of thing that makes you scratch your head considering how cramped that map feels.

Vehicle and weapon spawns in Invasion are a joke and it's tied directly into the gametype and how it is set up.

For example, say in round three of Invasion and you want a Revenant or a Rocket Launcher to spawn. You must put these on a spawn timer as per the rules of the gametype. So say you put both on a 30 second spawn. That means, 30 seconds into round 3 they magically appear. Great, you go use them. But, here's where it get's seriously stupid, they continue to spawn every thirty seconds after being used. So fire all the rockets, wait 30 seconds and you'll be fully reloaded again.

It's broken and just not fun. Say a team controls the air with the Falcon and your team puts in a strong effort and takes it down, due to the spawn timers, unless you hang around the spawn area for the vehicle, the Falcon will come back into play in next to no time and your back where you started.

The only way around this is forcing items not to respawn at all, meaning one use only per game or per round - not an ideal solution.

Oh, and BTB on Atom? Hah! The Heavies variants on Halo 3 almost killed BTB for me but I kept going despite it but Reach's BTB is just so poor from day 1 I don't ever want to go in - my favourite gametype too.

Horrible choice putting Atom in BTB. I personally didn't like in playing 4 on 4 during Customs, I know for sure I'll hate it with double the players running around it. =\

Mooreberg said:
The new firefight round time makes it a real headache when people don't vote for the map that is offering challenge credits. Oh well, just got Get Loud gold commendation. :D
You could always go for it in Score Attack, when it's just you you can veto the selections until you find the map you want.

zlatko

Banned
I'm selling my copy of the game. I keep trying to give it another chance, but all that happens when I put it in is my brain swelling up with rage from the inane amounts of bull shit.

Crap maps, crappier spawns on those maps, host advantage, lag, constant quitters, campers out the ass, the terrible bloom system, the lack of balance in armor abilities, people you can't boot who purposely melee you to drop your shields, and the list goes on and on.

I tried my best to give this game a proper shake since release, but the more I play it the more it dawns on me that the online multiplayer is just for ADD morons and little kids. That's not including Gaf, but I have a feeling the HaloGaf people tend to just play with each other or not that much online so they aren't exposed to the insane amounts of monkey crap this games want to put you through to try and muster some fun out of it.

I enjoyed the daily challenges, theater mode, customization, the back drops in campaign, and without a doubt the best soundtrack in any FPS to date. Those things however do not make up for the part of the game you buy it for... the multiplayer.

If anyone is interested in my copy I'm selling it in the buy/sell/trade thread. Enjoy the mess. :D

Personally, I can play Invasion on Spire all day. So much fun.
zlatko said:
I'm selling my copy of the game. I keep trying to give it another chance, but all that happens when I put it in is my brain swelling up with rage from the inane amounts of bull shit.

Crap maps, crappier spawns on those maps, host advantage, lag, constant quitters, campers out the ass, the terrible bloom system, the lack of balance in armor abilities, people you can't boot who purposely melee you to drop your shields, and the list goes on and on.

I tried my best to give this game a proper shake since release, but the more I play it the more it dawns on me that the online multiplayer is just for ADD morons and little kids. That's not including Gaf, but I have a feeling the HaloGaf people tend to just play with each other or not that much online so they aren't exposed to the insane amounts of monkey crap this games want to put you through to try and muster some fun out of it.

I enjoyed the daily challenges, theater mode, customization, the back drops in campaign, and without a doubt the best soundtrack in any FPS to date. Those things however do not make up for the part of the game you buy it for... the multiplayer.

If anyone is interested in my copy I'm selling it in the buy/sell/trade thread. Enjoy the mess. :D
Nope. Probably 70-90% of my multiplayer games are played when I'm by myself.

zlatko said:
Speak for yourself... Campaign and firefight continue to be fantastic.

Edit:
LAUGHTREY said:
OK that's good (just looking out for your best interests)

GhaleonEB

SquallASF said:
What's wrong with Atom? I've only seen the pic from the BWU and don't quite remember it.
It played very nicely in the GAF custom game we had on Saturday. Concensus seemed to be that it had a good flow and great mix of long and short sight lines. It's not generally my style of map, but I thought it was great. It will be a nice addition to BTB, which needs maps like it.

Chorazin

Dax01 said:
Personally, I can play Invasion on Spire all day. So much fun.

Nope. Probably 70-90% of my multiplayer games are played when I'm by myself.

Same here, with the recent playlist changes I think it'll be a lot better.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Early Team Snipers thoughts:

-Hemorrhage should not be in this playlist.

From the one game I played and can only imagine, future games will play like, my team was constantly having to go after blue team and we'd go kill for kill at times as they stood in what little cover they had over by the blue side cave area. It seems like it will likely play as one giant cat and mouse game for whoever has the lead and chooses their favorite small area of cover which is always going to be a far corner of the map behind some rock/tree. This map just isn't suited for this gametype, especially because map movement is constrained because of what little cover there is in the middle, so its not like you can get away with running down the middle to get to another area of cover and taking a teleporter still forces you to one side. Maybe if there was two teleporters, that allows for both red and blue to go to either the Sun-side rocks or red-Cave, from their base. But as it is now, I don't think it should be there.

-The Cage, this map is still around.

I can't really say if this works too well yet, I still think the spawns are borked on it though. Anyway, I thought Bungie promptly dumped this map.

-Hologram, should or shouldn't this be an AA for TS

When I heard we were getting TS, I thought it was strictly going to be Snipers and maybe just Sprint, nothing more, nothing less. I can't say yet whether I think it has its place in this playlist, but we'll see.

Hypertrooper said:
It isnt fun when the elites are flying over the Respawns places from the Spartans and kill them :/
Hm. Not sure what you're talking about. When it's a full game, six vs. six, five vs. five, five vs. six, etc, there aren't any spawning problems. And I've played a lot of Invasion: link to play time.

I've played 32 hours of multiplayer in total. Invasion has taken up 25 hours. Nearly 80% of my time in MP is spent in Invasion.

I think Hologram works perfectly for Team Snipers. Gets snipers to waste bullets and gives away their position, but doesn't do the snipe for you. Perfect for the game type.

Dax01 said:
For the "Jack of All Trades" achievement, doe performing an incredible feat in matchmaking mean getting a kill? What does it mean exactly?
I think it means things like revenge, kills beyond the grave etc.

Gui_PT

zlatko said:

Want a hug?

Dax01 said:
For the "Jack of All Trades" achievement, doe performing an incredible feat in matchmaking mean getting a kill? What does it mean exactly?

I'm under the impression that its any medal that is not its own commendation.

zlatko

Banned
Dug said:
Odd, I haven't met any campers while playing reach. Maybe I'm just lucky? :lol

You are lucky. Or maybe not just seeing it?

Reflection 9/10 times is people camping the top of the lift and watching the hallways. Often there is a sole camper with sword at the top of the lift waiting to murder you.

Pinnacle 9/10 times when I play becomes a "hold this tower down."

Countdown is either camp the vent rooms or camp the area where the big main vent is.

Powerhouse is a guy with hammer sitting in the bathroom house waiting to pounce.

Cage is fairly uncampable, BUT there are people who will sit in tower with shotgun to take out fools daring enough to come into it.

It's just so much of the maps do not get played out. It's just a "oh I died, back to the one cluster fuck spot." Throw in armor abilities like invisibility and armor lock to this and you have a real nightmare from the camping crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom