• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's appreciate some of the diversity in recent & future AAA titles

What npc? Use spoilers if necessary, I mainly played as evie when free roaming but I'm surprised it slipped under the gafs all seeing eye

Maxwell Roth. Most people specifically cite some dialogue throughout the game and the events of session 8 or whatever they're called and his bisexuality later officially confirmed via Assassin's Creeds official Tumblr.

dralla

The Last of Us 2, also. Sony's three current biggest(?) franchises (Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon) all have women protagonists.

Alo0oy

Banned
Video games are improving at this at a significantly faster pace than movies. The diversity is still very American-centric outside of Assassin's Creed Origins, but I'll take it.

Kimaka

Beyond Good & Evil 2
bge2_7rnuziooucu.gif

Nice to see another company jump on the Natural Hair Movement.

thekin

Banned
And what does all the games have in common? they under performed compared to there other counterparts.

Diversity is all good and well but diversity does not equal to good game.

Instead of giving so much attention to reaching a diversity quota they should focus on making the good game instead.

True Fire

And what does all the games have in common? they under performed compared to there other counterparts.

Instead of giving so much attention to reaching a diversity quota they should focus on making the good game instead.

Give evidence. You can't make bold statements like these without backing it up.

Also, the last part is just dumb. Diversity isn't a quota, it's the natural way of the world. And diversity and good games aren't mutually exclusive.

Alo0oy

Banned

Let's break down this hot take.

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy hasn't released yet.
  • It's impossible for Beyond Good and Evil 2 to underperform compared to its predecessor.
  • Far Cry 5 hasn't released yet.
  • Dishonored 2 already bombed, nothing to go but up for the DLC.
  • Battlefront 2 underperforming? Good luck.
  • Detroit Become Human hasn't released yet.
  • Assassin's Creed underperformed in its two previous white-lead games, but let's blame the brown guy.
  • Mafia 3 shipped 4.5 million in its first month. Fastest selling 2K game ever.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn outperformed Breath of the Wild, which is a long running franchise starring a white male.
  • Prey was never a juggernaut.
  • Battlefield 1 had a great launch.
  • Dishonored 2 bombed, but it's not like the first one set the world on fire.
  • Watch Dogs 2 didn't have a good launch because its predecessor with a white male lead sucked, but blame the black guy instead.
  • Mirror's Edge did not change protagonists.
  • Call of Duty underperformed because of its setting, and even an underperforming CoD was still the best selling game of last year.

Budi

That doesn't take away from game being good in anyway though? How does white male protagonist make a better game than having a black woman? And also sales isn't really the best indicator of quality in any entertainment medium. Ghost Recon: Wildlands sold a ton and it's pretty mediocre game. And are you trying to say that Dishonored 2 isn't a GOOD game. It's fucking great.

Edit: Also what was posted above me.

Manu

Let's break down this hot take.

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy hasn't released yet.
  • It's impossible for Beyond Good and Evil 2 to underperform compared to its predecessor.
  • Far Cry 5 hasn't released yet.
  • Dishonored 2 already bombed, nothing to go but up for the DLC.
  • Battlefront 2 underperforming? Good luck.
  • Detroit Become Human hasn't released yet.
  • Assassin's Creed underperformed in its two previous white-lead games, but let's blame the brown guy.
  • Mafia 3 shipped 4.5 million in its first month. Fastest selling 2K game ever.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn outperformed Breath of the Wild, which is a long running franchise starring a white male.
  • Prey was never a juggernaut.
  • Battlefield 1 had a great launch.
  • Dishonored 2 bombed, but it's not like the first one set the world on fire.
  • Watch Dogs 2 didn't have a good launch because its predecessor with a white male lead sucked, but blame the black guy instead.
  • Mirror's Edge did not change protagonists.
  • Call of Duty underperformed because of its setting, and even an underperforming CoD was still the best selling game of last year.

aaand boom goes the dynamite.

Kimaka

Funny how this argument is always made when diversity is pointed out. Do you ever go into a thread about graphics or music to complain how no one is focused on the gameplay?

Sande

I would also throw in Vincent (edit: it's actually Leo, not Vincent) from A Way Out. I don't know if they've talked about the character's ethnicity, but the actor is Lebanese.

What's really hilarious is that we had "another brown haired white guy huehue" snark in some threads.

No diversity does not equal a good game either. There's no correlation!

And believe it or not, it is very possible (and it has been done, need I even say this) to have brilliant games that also don't sacrifice diversity. There's no rule all of a sudden that precludes the ability to have both at the same time. As it's been pointed out already, a quality game and diversity are not mutually exclusive and it's appalling to insinuate otherwise.

WonderzL

Banned

Were the games good before that?

Edit:

Let's not forget about queer representativity!

Feminist Frequency did a great job to this industry.

I'm not sure I'd attribute it to Feminist Frequency. I think in general there's been an uptick in calls for diversity and calling out for lack of representation. Social media, as much as it's rightfully shit on, has also been a blessing in this regard

WonderzL

Banned
I'm not sure I'd attribute it to Feminist Frequency. I think in general there's been an uptick in calls for diversity and calling out for lack of representation. Social media, as much as it's rightfully shit on, has also been a blessing in this regard

She brought the discussion to the mainstream media

Azoor

Faith was better in the original game, Granted, not by much, but still better.

She brought the discussion to the mainstream media

Sarkeesian was hardly the first feminist to critique the industry, I've heard feminists calling for diversity as far as 2003.

Gator86

It's so good and great work by these dev teams. Prey caught me off guard with some of the writing and diversity there. Let's hope they keep it up. The more diversity of characters, backgrounds, and perspectives in games, the better.

There have been times in the last year where there have been some pretty negative feelings towards diversity in games and I've tried to say it really is getting better. Thanks for compiling this OP, great to see a gallery of all these characters.

(Now add Overwatch :p)

WonderzL

Banned
Sarkeesian was hardly the first feminist to critique the industry, I've heard feminists calling for diversity as far as 2003.

Again, she brought the discussion to the mainstream media. I did not say she was the first, I did not say she was the only one.

hotcyder

Now if all these games could move away from shooting people then the diversity of interaction in games can match the diversity their protagonists :)

Apt101

As far as diversity goes this gen has been great. inFAMOUS saw a native American guy in the title proper with a woman headlining the DLC. Horizon has a ginger female protag. Hardline is a black guy, right (didn't play it, just saw the promotional material)? Watchdogs 2 was a black guy. Battlefield 1 has black soldiers. Etc.

Overall it's like night and day compared to generations past.

Budi

Discussion about diversity was mainstream even before Sarkeesian was popular.

Many developers have credited her work though, I'd say she made some waves. Ofcourse she's not the only one but most prominent in recent times. GG gave her a lot of visibility too.

The original claim was "Feminist Frequency did a great job to this industry". How can we deny that? It doesn't mean that FF is the only source for the critique.

Great to see diversity of any kind becoming more prevalent like this. Happy for those who wanted representation and got it in some way.

I can't say I'll get to play all of these games, but it's nice to know they're there. Might support some of them just because of the representation, and of course if the game altogether appeals to me too.

Shoeless

It's coming a little late for some of us Gen X gamers, but still, better late than never. And more importantly, it's nice to see that in popular culture, whether it's novels, movies, or games, that more kids who aren't just white males are actually getting characters that they can look up to and/or identify with.

There's power and value in that.

Sarkeesian was, at the very least, one of the key people that brought discussion of diversity and calls for it to the forefront. The industry still has a looooong way to go in many respects, but seeing it all laid out in the OP makes me feel like we're on the right path.

Junior? yup.

I think it's a fantastic thing for both gaming as well as other entertainment mediums.

Greater diversity in gaming, particularly in narrative-focussed games, legitimizes minorities as lead characters in the eyes of consumers, extending those expectations even to other mediums.

Not only that, it makes game stories more authentic and game worlds more believable. It just makes for better games all round.

I applaud all publishers pushing for more diverse characters in their games.

Lime

I would also throw in Vincent from A Way Out. I don't know if they've talked about the character's ethnicity, but the actor is Lebanese.

What's really hilarious is that we had "another brown haired white guy huehue" snark in some threads.

I was one of those "snarks" and that is because race and racialization are very complex when someone who isn't necessarily stereotypically white still gets coded as white. I.e. it's why for example other usually non-white people can be adopted into white power structure, such as white latinx people, despite not being the typical anglo-saxon type of white. This is seen in games where for example Sebastian in Evil Within isn't necessarily coded as Latino, despite the fact that he obviously is. And I think it's the same case with this Brothers prison co-op game where the Lebanese whiteness can be coded similarly especially with via voice-acting. You might chastise me for being too quick on the trigger, but I was just commenting on what I saw based on the trailer before me.

(Now add Overwatch :p)

Done :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
I counted more than one game where a brown person was allowed to not be a terrorist or a shitty stereotype. Someone pulled some blood magic for this shit.

rfield84

Banned
I'm really, really enjoying this trend! I know it may not be a big deal to some, but for someone like me who is a POC and female, stuff like this is awesome. Especially since none of this diversity feels forced at all. Feels like a natural stepping stone and letting the medium expand and be more inclusive.

Anung

Un Rama

Loads of generic white bald space marine games sucked last gen. Did that call into question bald white guy's and their ability to hold up a game? Nope. Yet any game with a diverse main character and it is suddenly that specific reason why the game bombed and their ability to suport diverse leading roles is called into question. It's stupid and it sucks.

Edit: oh you're a burner account. I shouldn't have wasted my time replying.

Satch

Banned
Arkane putting in work.

Arkane has been REALLY good about this in Dishonored 2/Death of the Outsider, not just with race but gender and sexuality

the main character in DotO is bisexual for example. Daud is asexual. there are trans characters, gay characters, lesbian characters, all kinds in Dishonored 2 and it never feels like tokenism. all of it comes off sincerely

LotusHD

Banned
Getting to see Nadine and Chloe get to headline their own game is so incredible to me.

Twintelle's great too. Like, I'm legit surprised that a design like that came from Nintendo. I don't even remember (If it happened at all) the last time Nintendo let us actually play as a brown-skinned PoC that wasn't "ambiguous" or had to have their skin color changed from the default. Then there's the Gerudo Tribe from BoTW as well. Hopefully Nintendo will continue to be diverse as they make new IPs in the future.

PtKid

Banned
It's refreshing too see so many linear experiences coming our way.

When I say linear, I mean no open world bullshit and game that follows a more classic narrative.

I can't even be excited by the run of the mill open world games that came out every year, unless it's of the same quality of Horizon!

Top Bottom