• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Wants To Shift Away From "Volatile" AAA Console Games, Lean Into Free-To-Play And Mobile

Ya know what? Good. Just makes em easier to ignore. No more getting hype about the potential of good WB games, we can just write them off entirely, which is kind of a return to the form of the 90's and 2000's, so that's fine honestly.
But don’t you want another Batman game dude? I’ve completely given up on ever getting a single player AAA Superman game in my lifetime (and I’m 25) but I’m still holding out hope we can get some more AAA SP Batman games.

WB Montreal next game is from a “popular established franchise”. I can only imagine they’re doing another Arkham. And if they’re not rocksteady will almost assuredly be tasked with that IF theyre not shutdown.

Last edited:

skit_data

Saturday Night Live Goodbye GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The console space is too volatile, so let's double down on sure bets like mobile and free-to-play space?? I think the free-to-play space is just as littered with expensive flops that cost tens of millions of dollars to make and sink without a trace.

ProtoByte

What a dumbass.
Neither Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad are victims of volatility. You let a mediocre Montreal based studio spend an entire generation all to shit out a half-aborted live service hopeful based around boilerplate, barely comic accurate versions of Batman's sidekicks. When that mediocre Montreal studio cancelled their Suicide Squad title, you let Rocksteady destroy their reputation and prestige with a full live service loser game based around an IP that fans have repeatedly rejected.

How this lardbrain has concluded that more live services in a provably saturated and ultra-competitive space and mobile title shilling is going to lead to bigger profits or more stability when the only thing saving their asses is a fully single player Harry Potter game defies reason.

Gojiira

Volatile LMAO, No the AAA market is not volatile at all…If you actually make GOOD FUCKING GAMES…
The arrogance and ignorance of these publishers is just mindblowing, how many years now have gamers collectively bemoaned GaaS? Or these MTX riddled grindfests? Literally all we wanted was another Single Player Arkham game, hell multiplayer is fine so long as the focus of the game is the same. Instead we get dogshit like Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad…Nobody to blame but yourself WB, almost as out of touch as Phil.

xrnzaaas

Those idiots will learn the hard way it's much harder to force success when doing f2p and mobile games. Everything has to align correctly so that people will notice the game, will find it fun to play longterm, wont find the microtransactions too aggressive and won't have other new(ish) f2p games to play at the same time.

Kacho

Also you’re talking about WB’s GaaS attempt like a big what if, but it’s already happened. They tried their hand from their absolute most A list developer with the best IP the suits could think to throw at it and it bombed harder than the Tsar H-bomb
Never forget the loot box nonsense in Shadow of War. The pushback was so loud Monolith eventually removed it with a patch lol

poodaddy

But don’t you want another Batman game dude? I’ve completely given up on ever getting a single player AAA Superman game in my lifetime (and I’m 25) but I’m still holding out hope we can get some more AAA SP Batman games.

WB Montreal next game is from a “popular established franchise”. I can only imagine they’re doing another Arkham. And if they’re not rocksteady will almost assuredly be tasked with that IF theyre not shutdown.
Absolutely dude, you know I do, but I don't want it from the team that did Suicide Squad, and I don't want the mentally ill ideology of modern devs pissing all over what it could have and should have been.

Today's Rocksteady doesn't even deserve the title anymore. I don't want them damaging the Batman IP anymore than they already have, so fuck em. Let em close.

I'm 36, and I've been reading Batman literally since I was 2. At this point, I think I'd rather developers just leave it alone rather than fuck up such a hallowed IP any further.

Last edited:
This company literally made the best selling game of 2023, breaking a decade+ long stranglehold of COD, and said, "nah, let's not do that anymore"

Really shows you that you don't need brains to become decision makers at these places.
Anecdotally I tried the corporate America game about 4 times. Spent years in it. I can confidently say none of my bosses or bosses bosses or bosses bosses bosses were particularly impressive intellectual savants. Let’s just say they’d all be out of place amongst members of Mensa.

They had simply been there a long long time, enough to rack up promotions or knew the right people

jm89

Sell rocksteady to someone else instead of taking them down with you, you bunch of cretins.

And make sure not to be a cunt about the batman license, so rocksteady can give us another Arkham game.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

WB literally always finds a way to squander opportunities. They squandered a full decade with their IP in gaming as their movies floundered too, and just when Disney's about to price themselves out of any interest for AAA publishers or developers to license their shit, WB is setting up to retreat from the one thing that has been stable and successful for them: Single player AAA games based on IP that they own and don't have to pay licensing for at all.

Also, where the hell is that Wonder Woman game? It's been over 2 years since announcement already. Stop embarassing yourselves with Suicide Sales updates and show us that shit. Might actually sell some copies.

Never forget the loot box nonsense in Shadow of War. The pushback was so loud Monolith eventually removed it with a patch lol
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Jesus. You’re right. It’s a miracle Wonder Woman got greenlit. Gives me hope though

Mister Wolf

Absolutely dude, you know I do, but I don't want it from the team that did Suicide Squad, and I don't want the mentally ill ideology of modern devs pissing all over what it could have and should have been.

Today's Rocksteady doesn't even deserve the title anymore. I don't want them damaging the Batman IP anymore than they already have, so fuck em. Let em close.

I'm 36, and I've been reading Batman literally since I was 2. At this point, I think I'd rather developers just leave it alone rather than fuck up such a hallowed IP any further.

We would get Batman: Birds Of Prey

mdkirby

Single player game leveraging their IP, sells 24million units, makes billions --- NEVER AGAIN!!!
GAAS game that took best part of 9yrs to make, sells like shit, has about 300 concurrent players loses tons of money --- YES! MORE OF THIS!!!

Make it make sense.

MiguelItUp

Jesus Christ the WB higher ups are stupid. But to be fair, they've only been making things worse and worse. They've published some very well received AAA console games over the years, but I'm sure they pushed the devs to make a lot of the incredibly shitty calls. Like ones revolving around monetization, etc.

This kind of decision will surely cause them to fade out of existence. I hope Netherealm can break away from them, hell, Monolith too. I'd say Rocksteady, but I unfortunately think the damage is already done.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

The Batman games weren't as successful as you think they were.
Yet clearly more successful than what you think gaas games are worth judging by your brilliant opinions and the gargantuan success and show of force that Suicide Squad has shown in the month it had since release(can't believe it's only been a month and already half the globe forgot this game existed lmao)

You should clearly get a job at WB,seems like out of the box thinking like yours is a must for being in the management team over there.

"Out of the box thinking and into the grave revenue" The WB motto.
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Kings Field

I hope NRS breaks away some how from them. Their run from MK9-MKX was some of the best fighting games in the business.

make Hogwart legacy gacha game for mobile and consoles = print money.

Gacha mobile market is fierce. All cash-grabs based on famous IPs shut down in less than 1 year. The only one printing money is Dragon Ball, because they are doing it the right way.

WB will fail and then some people will open threads on unsustainable prices and so on.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yet clearly more successful than what you think gaas games are worth judging by your brilliant opinions and the gargantuan success and show of force that Suicide Squad has shown in the month it had since release(can't believe it's only been a month and already half the globe forgot this game existed lmao)

You should clearly get a job at WB,seems like out of the box thinking like yours is a must for being in the management team over there.

"Out of the box thinking and into the grave revenue" The WB motto.
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Jumping off a bus that's headed for a brick wall (Rocksteadys Batman games) is dangerous, and many people will get hurt doing so (Suicide Squad)...but that brick wall is coming whether you stick your landing or not.

The key is to stick your landing.

Yeah they have no problem with like the big 3-4 established gaas titles. They seldom reach outside of that. Hence just about every wannabe attempt since 2017 flopping.

Also you’re talking about WB’s GaaS attempt like a big what if, but it’s already happened. They tried their hand from their absolute most A list developer with the best IP the suits could think to throw at it and it bombed harder than the Tsar H-bomb

re-read what i said

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Yea lets see how that works out for you, you fucking idiot. You could of had 3 big games in the last 18months but you fucked up with Gotham Knights and SS which should be free to play junk. We could of had a proper single player Superman game and another Batman game of some sorts.

FeralEcho

Jumping off a bus that's headed for a brick wall (Rocksteadys Batman games) is dangerous, and many people will get hurt doing so (Suicide Squad)...but that brick wall is coming whether you stick your landing or not.

The key is to stick your landing.
That's fine and all if it was their first,second,third or even 10th attempt but they keep doing it and eventually after trying to stick the landing so much they might just break their neck landing.There's a thing as trying too much...Sometimes the universe tries to tell you you're doing something wrong and if you keep ignoring it you might just end up bankrupt as WB's direction seems to be heading in.

LordCBH

Sell rocksteady to someone else instead of taking them down with you, you bunch of cretins.

And make sure not to be a cunt about the batman license, so rocksteady can give us another Arkham game.

The people who made Rocksteady the studio that everyone liked have been long gone for years now.

Last edited:
I love the equivocation between Hogwarts and Suicide Squad.

"Look at these two totally similar, traditional console games! One did good, one did not so good. That's volatile! Guess it's time to make phone games."

Having investor buzzwords (Mobile! Service! F2P!) be your entire business strategy is really going to hurt this industry over the next few years.

proandrad

The executives probably don’t even know what GAAS even is. It was probably whatever market research firm they hired that advise rocksteady to make their game. The executives probably have no idea Suicide Squad and Hogwarts Legacy are 2 different game models. They just compare the sales of one costly AAA game sold well and one didn’t. This is what happens when game sales are connected to your retirement accounts. Better hope Valve never goes public.

Skifi28

Maybe you could just ask your customers what they want? Suicide Squad is what happens when you don't and ignore all the warnings thinking you know better.

If you look at WB as a whole and not just gaming in the late 90s, early 2000s, they made so many amazing decisions, but that’s slowly started to wither away over the following 20 years and now I’m surprised we got a game like Hogwarts Legacy, it’ll be the last of its kind I’m afraid. I just wish these assholes didn’t have the IP rights to so many great franchises.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's fine and all if it was their first,second,third or even 10th attempt but they keep doing it and eventually after trying to stick the landing so much they might just break their neck landing.There's a thing as trying too much...Sometimes the universe tries to tell you you're doing something wrong and if you keep ignoring it you might just end up bankrupt as WB's direction seems to be heading in.
What are their 10 attempts at Live Service?

Top Bottom