• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Japan’s console and mobile game markets shrinking in favor of PC games? Developers discuss

Individuals from Japan’s game industry propose that we may soon be seeing new console games released by ex-mobile game companies. At the same time, others have suggested that both console game and mobile game markets are struggling in the face of PC games’ growing popularity. Such opinions were recently exchanged among Japanese game developers on X (formerly Twitter), giving some interesting insights into the current state of game companies.

Post translation: I wonder how the industry is doing at the moment. I keep hearing that mobile/gacha games are struggling, but I don’t see console games doing that well either, and while PC games tend to go viral, it’s mostly the cheap/free ones (Palworld: $30, The Exit 8: $4). I feel like higher-priced products don’t sell anymore, or rather, people can’t secure the money for their hobbies.
The discussion was prompted when game designer Yuo made observations about the apparent decline of both mobile and console games, noting that titles with high price tags are becoming a less feasible as an option for consumers due to financial circumstances. In response, game developer/Unity Engineer Taishi Yamada offered a series of insights gathered from various Japanese game companies. He notes that mobile game companies are currently attempting to recover from the ongoing decline of the mobile game market, and that some of their efforts include switching over to console game development or even establishing in-house indie labels.
The discussion was prompted when game designer Yuo made observations about the apparent decline of both mobile and console games, noting that titles with high price tags are becoming a less feasible as an option for consumers due to financial circumstances. In response, game developer/Unity Engineer Taishi Yamada offered a series of insights gathered from various Japanese game companies. He notes that mobile game companies are currently attempting to recover from the ongoing decline of the mobile game market, and that some of their efforts include switching over to console game development or even establishing in-house indie labels.

Post translation: I’ll give my answer as someone who spoke to a lot of companies in the video game industry while looking to switch jobs last year. First, mobile/gacha games are in decline. Every company is aware of this, and they are in the midst of trying to recover through corporate efforts. On the other hand, a significant number of gacha game companies have started diverting their efforts to console games. Although this is one year old information, there is an increasing tendency for them to launch console game projects. As console games take upwards of 3 years to release on average, perhaps we can expect some of these games to appear starting next year. Also, there are game companies that are looking to dabble in VR.

Post translation: As for The Exit 8 and Palworld, these are indie games so it’s kind of a different story. However, there seem to be companies trying to launch in-house indie labels, although they do not know if they can expect a profit from it yet. I get the impression that many companies are looking for new approaches and forms of revenue, while surviving for the time being with remakes of past titles. This is why we see companies dabbling in things like Roblox and NFT technology.
Yamada suggests that a number of Japanese video game companies are currently in “survival” mode, with remakes of existing IPs helping them stay afloat while they experiment to find their next major source of revenue. Although he mentions game companies showing interest in indie games, Yamada also states that (regardless of platform) these companies tend to be aiming towards large-scale development. Interestingly, Takuro Mizobe, CEO of Palworld’s developer PocketPair, recently commented that he wishes to keep the scale of his company and future games relatively small, with no intention of entering the triple-A market.

The X discourse was joined by Indie-us Games representative Alwei, who offered a more nuanced stance on mobile games and emphasized the growing impact of Steam on Japan’s video game market.

Post translation: I have many thoughts on this topic but, while we can’t expect mobile games to grow by leaps and bounds anymore, the stable ones will continue to be stable for a long time. We will be seeing fewer new titles though. At the same time, console games cannot be expected to grow as much as they did in the past, and PC games seem to be experiencing the biggest growth. Steam and GamePass keep getting stronger, and global users keep increasing.
In a subsequent post, Alwei illustrates the dominance of PC games with the example of Capcom, who reported that approximately 50% of their video game sales in the second quarter of FY 2023 consisted of PC titles. Incidentally, Capcom was also one of the few major Japanese video game companies to report a year-on-year increase in profit in their video game sector in 2023, with other giants like Square Enix, Koei Tecmo and Bandai reporting significant declines in profit in the past year. Of course, Capcom is a multi-platform company with significant sales figures in console games, but they had made a conscious decision to increase their focus on PC releases back in 2021 (Source: Nikkei Shimbun).

Japan’s video game market is being impacted by several factors – including a drop in demand following the Covid lockdowns and the extreme depreciation of the yen. With consumer behavior and interests shifting, developers seem to be taking various measures to stay on top, the results of which we may see in the near future.

How is that consistent with the alleged record sales numbers for the Switch? Is PC even bigger in Japan, or are Japanese Switch owners not buying any games for it?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i guess time will tell, mobile games will always be the large market in Japan imo.

I think game prices is one of the factors here.

"while PC games tend to go viral, it’s mostly the cheap/free ones (Palworld: $30, The Exit 8: $4). I feel like higher-priced products don’t sell anymore, or rather, people can’t secure the money for their hobbies."

Space is an issue in Japan so the clear answer is no. Many mobile games earn more money in the Japan server alone than in the others combined.

Unknown?

You have no idea what you are talking about.....

You can build console sized PCs which still heavily outperform consoles and since PCs are completely customizable you decide how much performance you want to purchase......
Yeah and consoles aren't popular there anymore either.

Performance clearly isn't a selling factor there either.

Dane

Too many developers trying to get their gacha as the next big thing in mobile with many attempts, the last two-three years has been a bloodbath with many shutdowns of short to mid lasting games. Even some veterans like Love Live are dead.

Last edited:

Woopah

Seems like "survive 2024" isn't just the mantra for Western developers, but for Japanese ones too. Switch 2 and GTA VI should give the market a much needed boost.

How is that consistent with the alleged record sales numbers for the Switch? Is PC even bigger in Japan, or are Japanese Switch owners not buying any games for it?
Switch has sold more in Japan than any other console, but its in its eighth year and in the decline phase. So its very likely its growth % is lower than the growth % of PC.

Saber

Gold Member
You have no idea what you are talking about.....

You can build console sized PCs which still heavily outperform consoles and since PCs are completely customizable you decide how much performance you want to purchase......

Consoles are already build(no set ups, just buy the box), already have size in mind(you know beforehand the size) and its just turn on and play. This ridiculous notion from the PC player base that PC comes as an easy set up is incredibly disingenuous.

Guilty_AI

Consoles are already build(no set ups, just buy the box), already have size in mind(you know beforehand the size) and its just turn on and play. This ridiculous notion from the PC player base that PC comes as an easy set up is incredibly disingenuous.
20220324_103646-1.jpg

Schmendrick

did anyone claim that PCs are generally plug and play out of the box (albeit prebuilts actually can be)? Because if you are disputing that then someone must`ve proclaimed it first, right?

Last edited:
My 4080 Gaming PC is smaller than my PS5.
Somehow some way, on the balance of probabilities, this is a likely a lie. I suppose you could be using a mini itx setup and have a custom loop on top of that…. However, due to the power requirements and cooling requirements, of a 4080, it’s again likely a lie. I speak as someone who owns a 4090 de and tried to do a compact build. Which case are you fitting a 4080 into that’s smaller in volume than a ps5 and what are your other components.

The only way I can envision this is it’s a laptop 4080 variant which is 20% slower than a 4070ti desktop. So it’s around Rtx 3080/4070 levels.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Somehow some way, on the balance of probabilities, this is a likely a lie. I suppose you could be using a mini itx setup and have a custom loop on top of that…. However, due to the power requirements and cooling requirements, of a 4080, it’s again likely a lie. I speak as someone who owns a 4090 de and tried to do a compact build. Which case are you fitting a 4080 into that’s smaller in volume than a ps5 and what are your other components.

The only way I can envision this is it’s a laptop 4080 variant which is 20% slower than a 4070ti desktop. So it’s around Rtx 3080/4070 levels.
I use the Fractal Terra and I'll give you the win here but it's very close:

The volume of the Fractal Terra is approximately 11,440.42 cm³, and the volume of the PS5 is approximately 10,551.57 cm³.

I use the Fractal Terra and I'll give you the win here but it's very close:

The volume of the Fractal Terra is approximately 11,440.42 cm³, and the volume of the PS5 is approximately 10,551.57 cm³.
The slim is even 7.4L as well. I was interested in the terra but the acoustics and cooling are quite poor according to GN. Still looking for a good SFF case for the 4090FE. How do you fit a 4080 into that case, GN was struggling to do so and it wouldn't close due to the power cable.?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How well is Steam Deck doing in Japan? Seems like there’s a huge potential for that type of device. PC gaming + handheld form factor + getting pretty close to consoles in the “it just works” factor.

Interfectum

The slim is even 7.4L as well. I was interested in the terra but the acoustics and cooling are quite poor according to GN. Still looking for a good SFF case for the 4090FE. How do you fit a 4080 into that case, GN was struggling to do so and it wouldn't close due to the power cable.?
frC2YAp.jpg
4m2KA9t.jpg

ProArt 4080 fits, and low profile CPU cooler. Cooling and acoustics seem fine to me. I'm running games like Cyberpunk, Helldivers 2, etc with most things cranked to max with no issues.

frC2YAp.jpg
4m2KA9t.jpg

ProArt 4080 fits, and low profile CPU cooler. Cooling and acoustics seem fine to me. I'm running games like Cyberpunk, Helldivers 2, etc with most things cranked to max with no issues.
Is only the bottom image your pc? That’s wild. If it’s the top image also, I’m not impressed.

Last edited:

Woopah

I do think the Japanese console market could contract quite a bit this year if more games aren't announced soon. The lineup is looking very empy after this quarter.

Go_Ly_Dow

My armchair analysis for Japan

PC: seems like it's grown a lot over the past 10 years but there's no hard data to say how much
Xbox: dead as ever and will stay that way
Nintendo: booming and hoovering the market share, Switch 2 will be a monster
Playstation: PS3/PS4 were stagnant but there was some life with softw, PS5 hardware sales wise not bad but software for all franchises there's a clear drop if you look at the top 10 best selling games. FF, Resi, Tekken, Yakuza and much more. So it's clearly in decline, but still big enough for now to give a damn basically.

Gamer habits have also changed a lot since mobile game in Japan. Even if mobile gaming isn't the threat we thought it would be it's changed how and what people play now.

Last edited:

Holammer

One of the more interesting bits was the mention of the PCs trending potential.
Been thinking a lot about it myself, recently we saw it with Palworld and I reckon Helldivers 2 would never have exploded memetically without a PC version (Top Selling Globally for 5 weeks on Steam). Sony clearly tried to tap into this viral potential with the share button on the PS4 controller.

What are all the constituent parts behind this? Smart people ought to research it. Valve's liberal sharing of interesting data on Steam might be one factor fueling trending algorithms on social networks and search engines.
Have a drink every time you see a thread, tweet or a headline about a game having X amount of concurrent players on Steam, you will die.

From a third party developer perspective Switch might not be that hot because users prefer to spend their money on Nintendo's first party titles.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
This ridiculous notion from the PC player base that PC comes as an easy set up is incredibly disingenuous.
Who says that? And why should we care that is not an as easy set up? Being as easy would mean having almost no option and freedom that PC gives, and it's stuff like these that people want with a PC.

Saber

Gold Member
Who says that? And why should we care that is not an as easy set up? Being as easy would mean having almost no option and freedom that PC gives, and it's stuff like these that people want with a PC.

For thread discussion purposes, I would say Japan. They tend to look at those aspects when gaming, the facility of simply buying a console is more believable, even when taken into account that they probably have PC in their houses. But I would guess those are mostly work focused. One of reasons Switch is overly popular, though PS5 is just as popular too.
I don't think they are fond of these samey arguments about PC, specially when Switch is more about flexibility than freedom since its the only home of Nintendo titles, something PC fanbase tireless begs them to go to no avail(Yuzu is a clear case that they don't want to go that route).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The thread is about assumptions, he doesn't have any numbers or data, just suggest things.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

I'm talking about him not bringing up any data to support his point, sincerelly dunno whats wrong with you(I guess is one of those gotchas?). If this was of somehow of relevance to his point, Yamada would be bringing this data easly.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm talking about him not bringing up any data to support his point, sincerelly dunno whats wrong with you(I guess is one of those gotchas?). If this was of somehow of relevance to his point, Yamada would be bringing this data easly.
In the first paragraph in OP:

"At the same time, others have suggested that both console game and mobile game markets are struggling in the face of PC games’ growing popularity. Such opinions were recently exchanged among Japanese game developers on X (formerly Twitter), giving some interesting insights into the current state of game companies."

Everyone kept saying the Steam Deck was their jrpg machine when it came out - perhaps the Japanese cottoned on to this too?

Top Bottom