• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What impact does Japan’s population decline have on gaming?

Porcile

They'll have to hire more foreigners to make up the numbers but it's difficult to implement because Japanese studios need high level talent, who are also fluent in Japanese, and who will also accept a salary which can half what you would get in the US or UK while working longer hours.

Or lots of studios will simply go bankrupt. Tons of small Japanese studios you've never heard who do support work go under every year.

Tams

Future with less and less children will lead to serious problems. South Korea and Japan are going in very wrong direction, rest of developed world is following them.

2.1 children is needed for replacement to keep population stable, with number lower than that everything will go to hell at some point. WE CERTAINLY DON'T NEED more people on this planet but keeping number around what it is now should be priority in many countries. But I don't think this can be achieved without forcing women to have more children...

This is really off topic now, but in short, no, we do not need more people.

This planet could do with far fewer people.

The only risk is setting a precedent of not having any children at all and populations dropping too low. But no one is there yet, and I do believe we'd start having more children again.

What I am concerned about is that we haven't had any population control since WWII as Covid-19 was largely averted.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Low birth rates are no reason to panic.. if it gets bad governments will use artificial wombs.

That's also why we do not need migration.

Sakura

This is pretty much a problem in all advanced countries. People just don't want to have kids.

As for the impact on gaming, I don't think it will have much impact at all. People outside Japan like Japanese stuff, more so than ever before. There are even non-Japanese companies making games that are clearly inspired/heavily influenced by Japanese culture these days.

Pejo

You're already seeing companies there pandering more and more to the west because domestic markets can't support the ballooning costs of game development. It's unfortunate because they're gonna lose all domestic support from the fans and then make losing bets on 1-3 big (probably live service) games and end up bought out by Sony/MS/Tencent after their stock prices crash.

I say that it's unfortunate because JP is one of the last regions that make good boss fights and gameplay instead of just cinematic story driven garbo or multiplayer fortnite-likes.

At least S. Korea seems to be emerging a bit, carried solely on the backs of T&A.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Nintendo Switch will soon break the record as the highest selling console in Japan history, for both hardware and software.
Of course through decades the industry kept consolidating with fewer and fewer platforms available on the market (basically now there are just three per generation, one of which is pretty much irrelevant) and higher and higher number of multiplatform releases to compensate for the increase of development costs.
Nowadays Nintendo dominates the japanese console market, with PlayStation being reduced to a role of a mere also-run and Xbox being irrelevant there.
One area that has experienced growth in recent time has been the PC game market.

Saturn wasn't successful, in fact Sega was forced to announce a successor for the Saurn four years in, with the hope to be more competitive against PlayStation and Nintendo.
Sega's consumer division (console) began a step decline since the latter years of the Mega Drive era.
During the Saturn and Dreamcast era they were firmly in the red.

3oIcRIx.jpg
In Japan alone

SHA

You talk about their own people, do they have time for consuming contents? Last time I checked, a person usually see no more than 2 Anime in his entire life, then how could they afford doing something else? I don't understand their culture but these tiny numbers for consuming contents is depressing, it's depressing to see their contents not consumed locally.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I also wonder why the Japanese government didn't buy into changing that with games, maybe releasing games that are geared towards marriage and having babies, or some underlining messege in games. Like, maybe persuading Nintendo to have Link marry Zelda and have babies, etc.
Amazing post.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Or that's the impact of gaming on Japanese population.

Switch 2 should be govt mandated to come preloaded with sex ed apps.

Also mandate Mario at the end of every game marries and has children with Peach. And Link with Zelda. Etc. And they live happily ever after. And Sonic with Tails. Wait...

Last edited:
this is not true? most people just migrate to the main city like korea so it looks like theres too many people but its not
Lived in Korea for 12 months, outside the big cities and villages it’s all wilderness baby, hiking trails and mountains as far as the eye can see. All the hidden buddhist temples hidden on mountain tops quite a site…. Just watch for 70 year old land mines that might laying around lol

Woopah

Console gaming loses its value because it's mostly used by kids who stay home all day. Tgs became basically a mobile event at this point. The few companies that still make console games are more focused on western audiences.

No game console can be successful relying on Japan alone( that was the Saturn case).
Can a games console be successful in any one country alone?

Toons

This is really off topic now, but in short, no, we do not need more people.

This planet could do with far fewer people.

The only risk is setting a precedent of not having any children at all and populations dropping too low. But no one is there yet, and I do believe we'd start having more children again.

What I am concerned about is that we haven't had any population control since WWII as Covid-19 was largely averted.

Theres more than enough space and resources on thus earth to house and feed everyone. Especially with the aid of technology.

Its just not in major corporate interests to do so.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There are probably some stats on this too but entertainment doesn't really fit in with the average Japanese worker lifestyle. Most workers' idea of time off is a night out for an hour at a restaurant or whichever. Don't really see how population plays a role in this either as culturally Japanese artists, devs and such aren't drawing Western influence out like they did in the 70s or 80s. Thing with video games (not unlike other modern forms of Japanese produced entertainment) is they're also not really dependent anymore on local Japan to provide sales figures. They knew there was a large audience of consumers as far back as the 90's and now they have global sales which are likely to be vastly larger than anything locally accounted for.

There is one question I've always had and maybe one of the many Gaffers living there could answer this: how do Japanese adults feel about playing video games? With anime (understandably so for anyone who's watched modern anime), it's considered for children or those who are immature (although double-standard comes with all the adults who'll read manga). I was curious if many college age and above simply felt that video games were for the kids.

Why do we want people who are attracted to this...

Dragon Maid Anime Girl GIF by Crunchyroll
anime girl smile GIF
Heart Girl GIF

...to procreate? Hell, I'd wager many would be in the sex offender registry if they were allowed to truly fulfill their sexual fantasies.

Top Bottom