• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony have a long-term software strategy? | Opinion Gamesindustry.biz

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hate clicks? Like "Bro, check this shit! Look what they did to Marathon!"
Where is this baseless assumption coming from that people disliked the trailer?

20 million views. 94% likes. 6% dislikes.

wDfNmwE.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Didn't they already say 10 GaaS games by 2026 or something? I'd think they'd have to kinda see where that leads then decide the next step.

So I guess 3 years isn't exactly long term but when GaaS is the plan and it's not a tried and true strategy for Sony just yet....how do you plan beyond that?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What big budget new IP did you see in the first 4 years of the PS4?
As a start TLOU in 2013.... (my mistake thats a PS3 game)

I mentioned unique games being the key benefit of 2014. Why are you changing the narrative.

PS4 era new IPs that arent super small budget.... TLOU, DC, Bloodborne, Infamous, Horizon, DG. Then there's 1886, Detroit etc... which are mid tier budget kinds of games (not destruction all star kinds of budget).

There isn't one new high budget IP for PS5 yet. Ghosts of Tsushima came out summer 2020 for PS4. so really that game should be for the PS4 era. PS5 is all sequels and the new IPs are budget games.

Last edited:

FrankWza

The issue is that GAFs response isn't indicative of the wider public. See GAFs response to Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft etc...

The 62 people complaining online that Marathon isn't single player don't matter, so reporting on the feelings of such a small minority shouldn't either.

GamesIndustry.Biz is doing the clickbait.
Halo infinite won game of the year on this very forum

Sanepar

Like I said. Playstation have no idea what they are doing.

They have only 16 studios. Bringing gaas strategy was stupid when u are the best in create sp games and that's what elevate u to top sales.

Poor comunication. No roadmap for future fp games. They are doing everything to fuck up the future of Playstation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue is that GAFs response isn't indicative of the wider public. See GAFs response to Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft etc...

The 62 people complaining online that Marathon isn't single player don't matter, so reporting on the feelings of such a small minority shouldn't either.

GamesIndustry.Biz is doing the clickbait.
If Marathon is MP only, gamers just got to suck it up not all games have a SP mode.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If they are really going to pivot from the GAAS focus 180* in such a short notice, it's gonna take a while before the change starts to show.
I doubt they're starting from zero either way. The diminished output may continue, but it's not like there's a ton of insight into what's happening, anyway.

Humdinger

Seems to me that Sony's strategy was to front-load this generation with games, in order to create sales momentum and buzz -- to "win" the generation early on, which they seem to have done (sales-wise). Now we are entering the slump period.

I'm sure they have a strategy going forward. The questions for me are, 1) is that strategy consistent and clear; 2) is that strategy one that will please me?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

They have only 16 studios. Bringing gaas strategy was stupid when u are the best in create sp games and that's what elevate u to top sales.

Poor comunication. No roadmap for future fp games. They are doing everything to fuck up the future of Playstation.
This would have been a problem if they replaced single-player games with live-service games. Why do people keep behaving like that's what they did?

Spider-Man 2 just launched to unprecedented critical and commercial success. Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Lost Souls Aside, Stellar Blade, etc. are all scheduled to release within the next 12-24 months.

We know that Santa Monica's next game, Ghost of Tsushima 2, TLOU 3, God of War Ragnarok's stand-alone game, next Astrobot game, are also expected to be a part of the future lineup.

Live-service games are going to be additional games (as confirmed in Sony's financial reports), and even live-service games can be like GT 7, which is primarily single-player.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems to me that Sony's strategy was to front-load this generation with games, in order to create sales momentum and buzz -- to "win" the generation early on, which they seem to have done (sales-wise). Now we are entering the slump period.

I'm sure they have a strategy going forward. The questions for me are, 1) is that strategy consistent and clear; 2) is that strategy one that will please me?
I think what happened was their SP focus + third party partnership for MP is a solid strategy, but the execs got teased and pissed mtx/GAAS really took off in the latter part of PS4 era. So EA, Activision and Epic would all be bragging how much high margin mtx profits they are getting. Some of these publicly traded companies even brag in earnings reports how much highly profitable mtx and digital content they sell since the metrics are big and profitable.

When you got articles saying Fortnite makes $300 million per month for years and not stopping, every gaming company licks their chops hoping they can be the next COD, Fortnite or FIFA because the back end mtx money is so much more potential than $60-70 games that are one and done. High launch sales and then spirals down the toilet with zero annual mtx money coming in by the bucketload. The traditional model is years of dev costs, sell a bunch, sales die, more dev costs for sequel, wait for big sales 4-5 years out. Repeat. The mtx strategy is a smoothing out of dev costs over time and constant money coming in (stable cash flow model).

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
More views doesn't mean it's a positive response.
The 73K likes do.
The marathon views I believe were manufactured, but this continued narrative is becoming more and more of a FUD campaign to obfuscate from Sony who is about to have a massive holiday result while Microsoft has one of their worst.

For a little bit of perspective; 3 years into the PS4, we hadn't even heard about Ghost of Tsushima yet... The PS4 launched in 2013 and Sony announced Ghost in 2017 and it didn't release until 2020...

20132020Edge
Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall, God of War Ascension, GT6, TLOU, Ratchet in the nexusThe Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Sackboy Adventure, Miles Morales2020
DriveClub, Infamous Second Son, LBP3, TLOU:RReturnal, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Destruction All Stars2021
Bloodborne, Order 1886, Until DawnGod of War Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West,2022
Ratchet and Clank, Last Guardian, Uncharted 4Spider-Man 22016
Everybody's Golf, GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Knack 2, Uncharted Lost Legacy????Shouldn't be hard to beat
Detroit Become Human, God of War, Spider-Man,????
Day's Gone, Death Stranding, MediEvil????
I wonder if you realize you're mostly comparing PS3 with PS4 in 2013 vs. 2020?
2014 was better than 2021, come on. It's not even the full list of games released in that year (or ever year, for that matter).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Spider-Man 2 just launched to unprecedented critical and commercial success. Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Lost Souls Aside, Stellar Blade, etc. are all scheduled to release within the next 12-24 months.

Only one of those is a first party game, the rest shouldn't be attributed to Sony's software strategy.

Last edited:

MikeM

Why is everyone worried about Sony GAAS but no one gives a shit about Nintendo not having any?

Sony does SP gaming probably the best out of the major publishers. They need to stick to what makes them successful.

I sense that you have an unrealistic expectation given that games take significantly longer to develop now, even with more staff. All of this growth largely just let's you keep up similar output. They'd have to grow significantly faster to increase their output.

Buying a small company like Housemarque isn't going to speed up production much either. They put out Returnal in 2021 and we probably won't see another game from them until 2025 or 2026.
Yeah, I'm talking about their big studios. Im mostly disappointed with ND. If they were able to release a game this year or next then i would feel differently. They do have capacity for two full teams working on seperate projects. It just sucks Factions shit the bed, and we probably won't have a ND game until 2025/6. Which really blows. Guerrilla also has size for 2 different teams, but one of them is busy with Horizon GAAS. SSM is doing fine with about 1.5 teams. Hopefully by next gen it will be 2 full teams.

I'm sure its a lot more complicated, and some studios don't want to expand at such a rate, but the Sony brand will sell games just with their logo. If they can get 3-4 studios with multiple teams, then it should only be 2-3 year long wait per studio release

As a start TLOU in 2013.... (my mistake thats a PS3 game)

I mentioned unique games being the key benefit of 2014. Why are you changing the narrative.

PS4 era new IPs that arent super small budget.... TLOU, DC, Bloodborne, Infamous, Horizon, DG. Then there's 1886, Detroit etc... which are mid tier budget kinds of games (not destruction all star kinds of budget).

There isn't one new high budget IP for PS5 yet. Ghosts of Tsushima came out summer 2020 for PS4. so really that game should be for the PS4 era. PS5 is all sequels and the new IPs are budget games.

Returnal doesn't look small budget. Sackboy is a spinoff, which wasn't super cheap either.

Sony JUST delivered Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima, not to mention Day's Gone in the last 4 years. Infamous wasn't a new IP.

For next year alone there is Stellarblade, Concord, Rise of the Ronin, and potentially Convallaria, Fairgame, and Wolverine.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
1. Make bunch of GaaS games.
2. Fail at GaaS games.
3. Go back to well received SP games.
4.???
5. Profit but not excessively increasing every quarter like investors want.
Is the sony cicle
1 - launch a mega success console and became n.1
2 - Get Greedy and push for something new forgeting what gave you success in first place
3 - fuck up and review strategy back to what make you success
4 --repeat

gerth666

Neo Member
Okay I get you. Im not a manager or anything, but I would imagine It goes sort of like, there's a meeting about future games roadmap, they decide who's making what then contract out to third parties when they need content gaps filled in

Alebrije

Yes they have as most companies....but disrruptions always happens. Like Microsoft buying Activision and Bethesda.

So they have to update the plan...

Most companies have 5 at least a years bussiness plan. Guess on videogame industry is longer

Last edited:

FrankWza

So that means you want "arrogant sony" back? You don't miss late "PS3-era Sony" anymore?

T4keD0wN

I see its really hard to just go to their website/linkedin and click about us or check one of their annual status reports with ongoing projects and OKRs for some of these "journalists"

gerth666

Neo Member
That is true, I guess I was looking at it more from a internal development point of view.
That is true, I guess I was looking at it more from a internal development point of view.

Okay I get you. Im not a manager or anything, but I would imagine It goes sort of like, there's a meeting about future games roadmap, they decide who's making what then contract out to third parties when they need content gaps filled in

The 73K likes do.

I wonder if you realize you're mostly comparing PS3 with PS4 in 2013 vs. 2020?
2014 was better than 2021, come on. It's not even the full list of games released in that year (or ever year, for that matter).

Yes, just as the PS4 and 2020 counts with PS5, the PS3 in 2013 counts.

These are the primary games made.

nial

Gold Member
Only one of those is a first party game, the rest shouldn't be attributed to Sony's software strategy.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
They're absolutely part of their software strategy, this is why I said these ""second-party"" distinctions were getting really stupid.

Many of those games are co-financed by Sony. Those deals were made by xDEV, a Playstation studio. Promo campaigns are usually financed by Playstation as well.

How are they not part of Sony's software strategy? They have a studio literally just for those deals, lmao.

Gojiira

Firstly its already been confirmed that Bungie layoffs is entirely on Bungie, no mandate from Sony came down. And the 8% they laid off are almost exclusively low value employees in QA etc with the exception of the composers (which is a crime). So honestly this is hardly some earth shattering event.
Secondly Microsoft just laid off thousands yet all anybody seems to talk about is Activision Blizzard as though they have just accomplished something, or their ‘bold strategy’ is having results. It isnt. Im sure they will have a good 2024, but be real, Xbox is still in shambles and still need to prove they can release steady GOOD QUALITY games.
As for Playstation, they fucked up pivoting to GaaS but for all intents and purposes it looks like they are scaling down from their initial goal of 12 to (6?ish) - Marathon,Concorde,Helldivers,TloU, that heist one and whatever else.
Its not many and Helldivers looks really good so who knows. They clearly aren’t moving away from single player games, and if they make big announcements at the end of the year or early 2024 the narrative will change.

Sanepar

This would have been a problem if they replaced single-player games with live-service games. Why do people keep behaving like that's what they did?

We know that Santa Monica's next game, Ghost of Tsushima 2, TLOU 3, God of War Ragnarok's stand-alone game, next Astrobot game, are also expected to be a part of the future lineup.

Live-service games are going to be additional games (as confirmed in Sony's financial reports), and even live-service games can be like GT 7, which is primarily single-player.
Man they released one fucking game this year. Having nothing listed for next year in house. That is not enough.

This is not about the present. It is about the future. The right strategy for Playstation is to delivery one aaa with their high quality sp game per quarter. They can achieve that with a few more studios all focused on their ips.

Bungie was a stupid idea. Crap studio. With no dna with ps studios. With that money would be better to get Capcom for example.

Fabieter

Man they released one fucking game this year. Having nothing listed for next year in house. That is not enough.

This is not about the present. It is about the future. The right strategy for Playstation is to delivery one aaa with their high quality sp game per quarter. They can achieve that with a few more studios all focused on their ips.

Bungie was a stupid idea. Crap studio. With no dna with ps studios. With that money would be better to get Capcom for example.

Helldivers is 1p. Why does it matter if its made internally? Agree with bungie tho.

Sanepar

Helldivers is 1p. Why does it matter if its made internally? Agree with bungie tho.
Why does it matter? Because your rival have infinite cash now and will acquire everything they can. So if Sony wants to stay as a platform on the long term they need more studios and more games per year.

We are having the same exact problem of first 2 years of ps4 and their drought lineup of fp games. This happen because they don't have enough studios.

Ehhhh, this article doesn't bring up any new info. Pretty clickbaity if you ask me. I do wish I knew more of Sony's game roadmap but it's not like they haven't been releasing good games over the last couple of years. I really think this is being blown out of proportion just because they have layoffs, but those layoffs should be expected across the entire gaming industry since all that Covid growth is not sticking.....

Bergoglio

"and the arguably quite negative response to the Marathon trailer"

Wait, what? When did that happen?

Marathon's trailer was one of the biggest successes of the PlayStation Showcase 2023, no?

Edit:

20 million views. 94% likes. 6% dislikes.

paOBSUK.jpg
This IS NOT EXCLUSIVE.

RedC

It's not difficult to see why some people may be concerned in the future about Sony's dominant position in the dynamic video game landscape based on their lack of or current moves and their competitior's lack or or current moves.

Ultimately, only time will tell.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Why does it matter? Because your rival have infinite cash now and will acquire everything they can. So if Sony wants to stay as a platform on the long term they need more studios and more games per year.

We are having the same exact problem of first 2 years of ps4 and their drought lineup of fp games. This happen because they don't have enough studios.
Except that we are entering the 4th year of the console with a possible Pro launch next year ... its not the same thing at all ... its fucked up strategy in the pipeline ... this is using xbox excuses ... is blatant clear the change of focus .. the deniers can say what they want ...

Honestly the person who waited and is going to buy the Pro next year is going to get a loooot more bang for buck in the next 4 years ... probably the last time Ill early adopt a console .. been there for ps2 to ps5 ... theres just no logical reasons any more...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Incorrect. They released the following this year:
  • Horizon Burning Shores
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
  • MLB The Show 23
  • Destiny Lightfall
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade were also scheduled for release this year but got delayed into 2024.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

1. He is assuming without understanding how it works.
2. They ran YouTube ads for Marathon after the Showcase. It was even shared on GAF.
3. Total views isn't the argument here. The argument is the alleged "negative response to Marathaon's trailer" that the writer claimed for which there is no evidence.

The writer wrote, "and the arguably quite negative response to the Marathon trailer."

Where is the negative response when the trailer has 94% likes?

Top Bottom