• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony have a long-term software strategy? | Opinion Gamesindustry.biz

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Your post makes little sense considering MLB is always a hit, Destiny's expansions usually are, Burning Shores and VR2 stuff was well reviewed and Spider-Man 2 as well obviously.
Last year's release Gran Turismo 7 is always appearing in multiple charts during this year as well.
MLB and Destiny are multiplats. Burning Shores is a DLC, and most PlayStation gamers care nothing for VR. I'm not trying to say that all those games don't matter, but they hardly matter when it comes to the games narrative for Sony. And GT didn't come out this year.

MLB the show has sold about 1 - 1.4 millions copies per year on consoles for ages. A game that sells about 1M copies across a console base of 100M is not a hit.

It actually trended down to 1M until releasing it on Xbox where sales grew to 2M in 2021.
Damn…you should tell that to Sony. They have a studio opened for a flop series and no other IP.

Fir how long will they be able to lose money like this with that series?

Three

MLB the show has sold about 1 - 1.4 millions copies per year on consoles for ages. A game that sells about 1M copies across a console base of 100M is not a hit.

It actually trended down to 1M until releasing it on Xbox where sales grew to 2M in 2021.

What does its frankly quite good sales have to do with what you said about "conditioned its fans and the media into thinking AAA, third-person, narrative-driven experiences are the only ones that matter".

Last edited:
Of course sales are important but they are only one metric to a much larger pie. Continuing to view this through the lens of a console war is outdated. I believe 7 years ago, Phil Spencer conceded that Xbox was highly unlikely to ever win the console war, and decided to move the goal posts which finally got Microsoft to go all in, elevate Xbox as a pillar, and invest almost 100 billion dollars and counting.

Meta, Google, Amazon wish they're foothold in gaming was like Microsoft with Xbox.

And the scary thing is Microsoft is not finished with Xbox expanding and acquiring, while Xbox is no where close to even firing on all cylinders yet.

So I understand why some poeple are concerned on the moves or lack thereof Sony has been making in the meantime.

Oh no it has nothing to do with console warring.

Sales is still a very important metric. Especially console sales because an increase in users owning the platform also leads to an increase in other areas. Such as an increase to subscriptions, software sales and accessories. It still is a very important metric to console manufacturers. It certainly isn't the least important one like some would lead you to believe.

I think the issue isn't in the amount of releases, but rather in the types of the releases. Like it or not, PlayStation has conditioned its fans and the media into thinking AAA, third-person, narrative-driven experiences are the only ones that matter. When these games are released only once a year and only 1 is officially announced for the future, the narrative becomes a "PlayStation has no games" one. It'll take a while to change this mindset.

Sonys strategy with reveals has changed. You only get the “PlayStation had no games” label if you literally start posting zero big games like Microsoft does most years.

But Sony didn’t reveal any significant footage of Spider-Man 2 until a few months before release.

I think they are simply not going to hype their games years in advance anymore with the exception of certain titles.

So until Sony stops releasing AAA games in any given year, there’s not any cause for concern

kizito

True, but even in leaks we knew all about the hardware roadmap and we barely know what SIE studios are working on.

Don't even get me started on VR2.. that thing was like Vita, sent to die.
I saw the VR2 situation coming from a mile away. After buying a Vita at launch, I knew only too well to not trust Sony for supporting their devices aside of the main flagship.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
True, but even in leaks we knew all about the hardware roadmap and we barely know what SIE studios are working on.

Don't even get me started on VR2.. that thing was like Vita, sent to die.

We're suppose to give VR2 another year or two for AAA VR games to appear.

yurinka

As far as we know most of these wikipedia numbers can be made up because they don't provide any source.

The only source is the one for MLB21, which says this:

MLB® The Show™ 21 from San Diego Studio is the fastest-selling title in franchise history with more than 2 million copies* sold across all platforms. The game has reached more than 4 million players since releasing on April 16, 2021

From a Sony press release from July 2021, meaning these numbers are from maxium 3 months only, meaning the game will sell more that year.

kyussman

I never thought I'd see the day where Sony lost me,but they pretty much have......granted I'm currenty disillusioned with the whole of gaming,but I've fuck all interest in anything they do these days and not excited for their future projects(Death Stranding excluded,but that is a Kojima game anyway not a Sony one.....and I'm not dropping money on a PS5 just for that game).

Top Bottom