• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Buying Bungie Was A Mistake

Jose92

[Membe
In light of Sony's recent decision to terminate 900 employees from their SIE arm, coupled with statements made by several Sony executives regarding the imperative of streamlining operations for enhanced profitability, it is evident that the company's emphasis on Games as a Service (GaaS) has had discernible implications for PlayStation studios, notably in terms of their output or perceived deficiency thereof.

The cancellation of "Last of Us Last Stand" after years in development serves as a poignant illustration of the direction PlayStation studios appear to be heading, which could be construed as a precarious trajectory.

While "Hell Divers 2" has proven successful and is a commendable game deserving of its achievements, the acquisition of Bungie may not have directly influenced the outcome of "Hell Divers 2."

Sony's move to acquire Bungie can be interpreted as a reactionary measure driven by concerns of potential acquisition by another entity, particularly in light of Microsoft's acquisitions, thus avoiding a perceived monopoly. Although Bungie has a track record of producing exceptional games, the substantial investment in their acquisition could have been alternatively allocated to foster organic growth within Sony's existing studios, facilitating the development of innovative and experimental titles.

this is my opinion.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
it might be your opinion but its the correct opinion.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft were ready for these big acquisitions. They both fucked each other. This is why consolidation was bad for the industry. I knew taking on thousands of additional employees on their payroll was going to cause issues.

Topher

Gold Member

StueyDuck

In light of Sony's recent decision to terminate 900 employees from their SIE arm, coupled with statements made by several Sony executives regarding the imperative of streamlining operations for enhanced profitability, it is evident that the company's emphasis on Games as a Service (GaaS) has had discernible implications for PlayStation studios, notably in terms of their output or perceived deficiency thereof.

The cancellation of "Last of Us Last Stand" after years in development serves as a poignant illustration of the direction PlayStation studios appear to be heading, which could be construed as a precarious trajectory.

While "Hell Divers 2" has proven successful and is a commendable game deserving of its achievements, the acquisition of Bungie may not have directly influenced the outcome of "Hell Divers 2."

Sony's move to acquire Bungie can be interpreted as a reactionary measure driven by concerns of potential acquisition by another entity, particularly in light of Microsoft's acquisitions, thus avoiding a perceived monopoly. Although Bungie has a track record of producing exceptional games, the substantial investment in their acquisition could have been alternatively allocated to foster organic growth within Sony's existing studios, facilitating the development of innovative and experimental titles.

this is my opinion.
the stupid race to consolidate was just fucking stupid, although part of me is happy to see it bite these pubs in the arse, MS getting to make all actiblizz games exclusive would of been a much worse outcome, same with Sony and Bungie.

the Bethesda acquisition turned out to be one of the worst things to happen to gaming as a whole and at the time not a single "pundit" was willing to cover or critique the dumb arse move.

It was a pretty foolish acquisition by Sony. Microsoft's makes more sense in that ActiBlizz/Bethesda comes with a huge back library and i.p.'s that have a ton of future potential. Bungie came with Destiny 2 and Marathon, both series that are well past their primes.

Last edited:

Vick

Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Bethesda acquisition turned out to be one of the worst things to happen to gaming as a whole and at the time not a single "pundit" was willing to cover or critique the dumb arse move.
Many were praising it, including me, as I saw (incorrectly) saw it at the time as Microsoft finally showing some balls and was going to compete with Sony. I had hoped it would lead to Fallout 3 and New Vegas remasters. More use of older IPs.

Yeah....none of that ended up happening. Starfield and Redfall is all they have to show for that. Starfield ended up being merely OK, when MS and Bethesda were looking for something to set the world on fire. The less said about Redfall the better. Don't mention Ghostwire Tokyo or Deathloop. Those games were nearly done by the time the acquisition took place.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I don't think Sony buying Bungie was reactionary at all. They had been planning to shift towards multiplayer games for some time, and their previous attempt to buy Leyou was unsuccessful. They needed some developers with expertise in live service games and they chose one of the most successful after they were outbit for Leyou.

twilo99

It was a pretty foolish acquisition by Sony. Microsoft's makes more sense in that ActiBlizz comes with a huge back library and i.p.'s that have a ton of future potential. Bungie came with Destiny 2 and Marathon, both series that are well past their primes.

Sony can’t really afford to buy a big library like that so they have to be more efficient with their purchases..

From the initial Due Diligence to the Binding Offer it can be done in two months under the right circonstances, specially if Bungie was looking to sell
2 months aren't 2 weeks.

That's the gap between Activision being acquired and Bungie. There's also the fact others tried to buy Bungie like Microsoft the months before. This was a deal that started way before Activision was acquired.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Bungie is a troublesome little dev house anyway, for any publisher they work with.

They were headaches for MS, Activision and now Sony.

Considering price to output + owned IPs, they are by far the most unimpressive acquisition any gaming company has made in the past few years.

They got the Marathon IP, but that's next to worthless currently. Nothing would be lost with their inevitable closure.

ProtoByte

Consolidation in the gaming industry is damn near always a mistake. That's my opinion.
Came in to basically say this.

Almost never see a single corporate takeover that turns out good for all stakeholders.
It worked pretty well for Sony and Insomniac, because that was the traditional way Sony did things.

This probably saved Bungie actually, but Sony got saddled with junk. They need to realise that the traditional way, on the whole will always work best.

That said, they tried something different in a different time. I can only get so critical of Ryan for doing that. Do the same old thing out of caution in business, people say you're complacent. Do something new and make a mistake? Well, you see what happens.

DrFigs

I am pretty sure studios are being closed left and right without acquisitions...Sometimes they close even before getting an opportunity to grow.
I mean if it wasn't for Sony acquiring Bungie, the layoffs would have likely been much worse (for Bungie). That was my takeaway from when that happened.

Bungie missed revenue projections by nearly 45%. I don't see how they survive without a big backer after something like that.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, the Bungie thing seemed like a smart move and then Bungie fired a lot of the key talent.

Trash company AFAIC. Clearly not all the employees but upper management sure is.

Perrott

Gold Member
Helldivers II was given another year in the oven to accomodate for Bungie's feedback, so I'd say they might have a fair share of responsability in its success.

Just look at the contrast between the launch of Helldivers II and Sony's last live-service game: Destruction AllStars.

There were clearly lessons learned, and I doubt that's merit of PlayStation HQ.

kingfish

this is my opinion.
No way Jose

Jose92

[Membe
That $2 billion investment in Epic Games was an even worse mistake.

Investments are different to acquisitions, one you don't have to pay for the employees, maintenance, facilities, HR, Bonuses etc.. two they can write off investments as tax breaks and find loop holes to pay it off from taxable money.
Helldivers II was given another year in the oven to accomodate for Bungie's feedback, so I'd say they might have a fair share of responsability in its success.

Just look at the contrast between the launch of Helldivers II and Sony's last live-service game: Destruction AllStars.

There were clearly lessons learned, and I doubt that's merit of PlayStation HQ.
There is no evidence Helldivers II was delayed to accommodate Bungie's Feedback, the Game was not ready at the time.

Destruction All-stars was outsourced to Lucid Games, they are not first party. As well as the budget for that game i don't imagine it to have been Big.

AREYOUOKAY?

Buying Bungie without Halo is like Microsoft thinking they could get DK with Rareware.

Without their biggest game that made them famous in the first place and the talent that made them what did they buy in the end?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Buying Bungie without Halo is like Microsoft thinking they could get DK with Rareware.

Without their biggest game and the talent that made them what did they buy in the end?
Halo is bigger than Destiny?

They bought the talent. What Earth has moved since 343 took over?

Top Bottom