• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony president wants Bungie to be better at ‘assuming accountability for development timelines’

Neolombax

Yea this is good. Or they could change the top brass at Bungie. At lot of feedback from former employees seem to indicate issues with top management.

It's only a matter of time before they wrangle and scheme to get out of their sony purchase. bungie doesn't like being told what to do.

They were treated with kid gloves by Microsoft, and Activision threw 2 other talented studios at them.

This is the same company that has been selling the same game, with the same enemies, with the same mechanics and animations, to the same braindead fanbase since 2014.

It's only a matter of time before they wrangle and scheme to get out of their sony purchase. bungie doesn't like being told what to do.

They were treated with kid gloves by Microsoft, and Activision threw 2 other talented studios at them.

This is the same company that has been selling the same game, with the same enemies, with the same mechanics and animations, to the same braindead fanbase since 2014.

I won't be surprised if they separate from Sony like their last two publishing partners, before the decade is over.

You guys talk about it as if Sony don't have the last word in this. I mean they only bought Bungie outright.

It's cute 🤣

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony was offered the full fat license like EA with Madden, with that, came third party with it, as the license implies.

Prior, they had a first party license which means anyone could also buy a first party (MS didn't, even though they bought the High Heat IP and vaulted it back in the OG Xbox days to entice EA to their console and eliminate their competition when they were doing Triple Play/MVP Baseball) and 2K failed badly with the 3rd party license and gave it up. MLB themselves failed with the 3rd party license and dropped making RBI Baseball after only 2 years.

Sony's license was up for renewal, so they took on the 3rd party full on which helps grow their version of MUT/FUT mode in Diamond Dynasty.

It was a mutual agreement. They could have just kept the first party license. There was nobody else to fill the third party shoes. There was no gun to anyone's head. Now, Sony is basically Madden for baseball.
Good to hear this. So for all the FUD about MLB forcing an all or nothing scenario has been false the entire time. Sony willingly agreed to do the multiplat port option.

Last edited:
Yeah good luck with that. Management there is clearly trash and has been for awhile. Bungie, obviously. Focusing solely on shareholders and their own bonuses.

agree 100%

I have no idea what they doing with dreams

Dreams is dead. I speculated that when Sony looked at the money they could make from Roblox simply by allowing it to be on the PS Store vs what it would cost them to support and maintain Dreams and it was a no brainer to shut Dreams down and take the easy money.

When they let Roblox on PS Store aligned closely with layoffs at Media Molecule.

My guess is Media Molecule is working on a new game unrelated to Dreams, but probably with similar creation elements that have been in all of their games and depending on the feasibility of that game, they'll be closed down in the next year or two.

IAmRei

It's because Japan embraces crunch and long hours. That doesn't fly in most countries. You never hear about it because they would be blacklisted if they said anything.

"Game programming in Japan involves long hours and intense pressure: "It's not uncommon for people to work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and sometimes even more."
it also happen to my studio, we works like ants almost 24 / 7 / 365. but we do like this because our passion. and we are indie. although, we dont have much stress like AAA studio. we are small after all.
i can imagine how hard if it works more in bigger studio. back when i was working on media, pressure are coming everywhere.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Oh no not 12 hours days, and working on a Saturday. Or gosh not sometimes even more!!!

Bullshit like this, 4 day working weeks, working from home, fucking kitting classes. People wonder why AAA game development in the west is in the shitter with ridiculously massive budgets.
I agree. Crunch should be expected when finishing up a game (not for the whole development). They should understand that when getting in the industry and taking the job. But my point was, that Japanese developers magically don't encounter game delays often and release games without any mention of delays, crunch or dissention from the developers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good to hear this. So for all the FUD about MLB forcing an all or nothing scenario has been false the entire time. Sony willingly agreed to do the multiplat port option.
Yes. Their contracts were 8 year renewals. This was all part of expanding the GaaS vision, and MLB themselves handles the publishing for other platforms, while Sony self publishes on the PS4/5. It's a win/win for all parties involved, especially when the Diamond Dynasty mode is the bread and butter to these sports games now. People love buying their card packs. Sony spends zero dollars to publish to other platforms and are essentially paid to develop as well as all the %s of MTX spend.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes. Their contracts were 8 year renewals. This was all part of expanding the GaaS vision, and MLB themselves handles the publishing for other platforms, while Sony self publishes on the PS4/5. It's a win/win for all parties involved, especially when the Diamond Dynasty mode is the bread and butter to these sports games now. People love buying their card packs. Sony spends zero dollars to publish to other platforms and are essentially paid to develop as well as all the %s of MTX spend.
Sounds good. Maybe I just blindly missed it but I never heard any of what you said in any articles or forum posts. I just went with the narrative people were all saying with the gun to their head scenario.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sounds good. Maybe I just blindly missed it but I never heard any of what you said in any articles or forum posts. I just went with the narrative people were all saying with the gun to their head scenario.
Because people assume and ran with FUD and narratives. Western gaming "press." If you notice, none of the articles ever went to the source for comment either, but tried passing it as gospel. Hell, they didn't even call them "leaks," it was just a "narrative."

Bungie knows what they’re doing. Sony needs to quit meddling and give them the leniency and creative freedom to follow their passion. Those 1000+ employees are hard at work, remaining productive and using their resources wisely on stuff like….

This is a wide Playstation objective.

Sony aims to diversify its program offerings to broaden its demographics. They seek developers from various backgrounds to create games that resonate with those untapped markets, including women, Latin, Indian, and others. This approach isn't really about inclusivity and being nice but about untapping the potential in smaller, overlooked consumer segments.

For example with the VR2, Sony targets the casual audience that left after the Nintendo Wii. Instead of only expanding it sales to disillusioned Xbox gamers, Sony is also focusing on neglected audiences. By doing so, it can have a foothold in a dynamic market rather than dominate in a stagnating space. Shareholders must see initiatives that effectively penetrate new consumer segments. Otherwise Playstation will face pressure to overly invest in gaming-as-a-service (GaaS), mobile, or PC gaming, which are not Sony's primary expertise. Which they are gonna do. But they need to do it carefully.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony didn't accommodate for the fact that Destiny's success was built on the back of "From the Studio that made Halo..." and has survived seemingly despite Bungie. Heck, at the time Sony purchased them, the Destiny community was hanging on by a thread, which appears to have finally snapped with the latest expansion pack and monetisation practices. Sony thought they were buying a golden goose - and they're about to learn why Microsoft were happy to part ways and why Activision got tired of their shit.

Bungie released Destiny back in 2013 at a studio size of around ~ 150 employees.

They now have 1,400 employees.

They're not doing that because people give a crap about a franchise that was losing popularity after Halo 3.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Classic Film GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

Top Bottom