• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's President quote clarified, "multi-platform" means PS and PC NOT Xbox and Switch

Alebrije

tenor.gif

NeonDelta

Wish they’d just confirm something like every first party title will come to pc within 12 months of console release, then I’d happily wait, I’d probably still keep my ps5 but only for BC

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Read his words carefully, he says there’s a synergy

GaaS is totally different

He’s just saying he wants more titles to come to PC

Time has not proven you right at all

HFW took 2 years to come to PC
Yeah, being aggressive with more titles doesn't mean shortened dates.

Means they have a massive catalog that could be ported. Which will also bode well on the console side for games people wanted 2 gens or more ago, to be remade or remastered for the PS5 as well.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Yeah, being aggressive with more titles doesn't mean shortened dates.

Means they have a massive catalog that could be ported. Which will also bode well on the console side for games people wanted 2 gens or more ago, to be remade or remastered for the PS5 as well.
I'm laughing like a madlad because people wrote serious lenghty analytics in outlets based on clearly mistranslated and misattributed quotes. Sony should be doomed once in a while, I guess.

Shakka43

I see now that is what the writer is claiming which is shitty sensationalist writing, but lets be honest. we know where this is going.

They have already gone day one with gaas titles. Single player titles are next. I dont know why you continue to contradict me over this. Ive been saying this for the last 4 years since horizon was announced. this was the end game. Time has proven me right.
It does make sense to release online based titles at the same time as they need the engagement. For their offline titles I see them still releasing a year or two apart, otherwise it would severely devalue the console like you said.

Because the Xbox fanbase is so persistent in putting Xbox and Playstation in the same place, in each quarterly report the same story, that if Sony is going to launch its games on PC day one and now also the GOW Ragnarok on Xbox xDD.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The day and date PC train for 1P, flagship Single Player is the beginning of the [slow] end for the PlayStation; short term gains in an expected and natural lull being traded for long-term devaluation of the brand, console and ecosystem. This isn't about the fanboyish strawman of "I don't want those other people playing MY games!" but the investment in those games being predicated on Sony regarding them as showcases and mascots for the platform.

Also, not all PC purchases are additive, some will be instead-of and a purchase on PS is worth far more to Sony than a purchase on PC; not only do they lose a proportion of royalties, they reduced chances of maintaining ecosystem exclusivity and PS Plus subs. They lose on double-dippers and they complicate development where devs could traditionally focus purely on getting every drop out of a closed platform/s. They also highlight technical inferiority day 1 (which could be further exacerbated by the previous point).

Multiplat those sports games, PC day-and-date those GaaS games and remasters. But flagship, 1P needs that 12-18mth window of PS console exclusivity or else it's a slow crawl to third party, dwindling ps plus and a defunct platform and brand.

A core fanbase with reasonable extensions will carry you through, start diluting it for the fickle masses and there's no turning back.
Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

lol Releasing Day 1 on PC is just as bad.

He's a moron who has learned nothing from Microsoft's mistakes. You devalue your console by pushing games on a different platform. Doesnt matter if its PC or Switch or iPhone.

We all know where this train leads.
Microsoft's failure has more to do with Day 1 PC release. I definitely think Day 1 didn't help because it gives less reasons to own a Xbox if you have a PC, and I don't see Sony following anytime soon. I think we will continue to see PC releases once games have hit their ceiling on PlayStation which seems to generally be 1-3 years and I think that's the best choice.

Microsoft just didn't give people enough reasons to be in the ecosystem with or without Day 1 PC. Despite them making a lot of good decisions it's just wasn't good enough.

T-0800

He's a moron who has learned nothing from Microsoft's mistakes. You devalue your console by pushing games on a different platform. Doesnt matter if its PC or Switch or iPhone.

I disagree. Gamepass devalued games not releasing on PC.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't think he said, nor has anyone said, nor do I think they ever will release on PC day 1. With the exception to their GAAS-type games.

I just don't see a world where Spiderman 3, Wolverine, GoT2...etc, are released on PC day 1. If nothing else, its that they don't need to do that. But getting them on PC in under 18 months is something I can see and even get behind.

willothedog

Read his words carefully, he says there’s a synergy

GaaS is totally different

He’s just saying he wants more titles to come to PC

Time has not proven you right at all

HFW took 2 years to come to PC

erm, Horizon Forbidden West complete edition took 5.5 months....

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm not jumping onto anything, I am just reading his original statement in context. Sony is already a multiplatform developer, Sony stating they want to do better on that front isn't the same thing as saying "Sony is going to publish their catalog on everyplatform." That's what I mean when I say "over extrapolated".
Right, but there was also no clarification. They didn't find a part where he said 'PS5 and PC only', or a part where he said 'not switch or xbox'.
I don't think the latter is happening, nor day 1 PC on SP games (for now), but this is effectively just some guy saying it was clarified.

A.Romero

Yeah, everyone will stop buying Playstation consoles and run to get PC's with equivalent power...

ProtoByte

The PC release is still a bad idea.

Think about it guys: How many single player 3rd party multiplats actually sell better than PlayStation major 1st parties?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Honestly if I had billions I’d make my own console and system. Within 5 years I’d be bigger than PlayStation and Xbox. These execs are fucking braindead. And non gamers

I don't think he said, nor has anyone said, nor do I think they ever will release on PC day 1. With the exception to their GAAS-type games.

I just don't see a world where Spiderman 3, Wolverine, GoT2...etc, are released on PC day 1. If nothing else, its that they don't need to do that. But getting them on PC in under 18 months is something I can see and even get behind.
Spiderman 3 apparently will have an online component and will release day 1 on PC. I think Benji sales said he played some online concept they had for Spiderman and it was very fun.

A.Romero

Funny. I remember people replying to me with this same thing when MS went day one PC.
You mean after MS fucked it up in every conceivable way?

Xbox has had trouble hitting high notes since the 360 days. Going to PC day one has little to do with their current state.

Truth is that consoles are the most accesible way to game (both in use and price). Former Xbox players are in the PS ecosystem now but I really doubt those gamers will go to PC just because games are there day one (I play on PC (subbed to gamepass!) first and PS5 second. Playing on a PC at the level of PS5 is not cheap at all.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Every single time MS fucks up, there's a #SonyToo narrative.

It's really quite pathetic.
Yeah damn MS shills making the Sony president talk about how margins need to improve, missed targets for last year, lowered upcoming targets and how they need to improve their multiplatform initiatives. And then they went and manipulated the stock market to significantly lower Sony shares and knock several billion off the valuation. No wonder MS pays them the big bucks, those Russian misinformation factories have nothing on ColtEastwood.
Or: some major shifts are happening at Sony and their financials aren't the best right now.

ProtoByte

Bad for who? Gamers or corporate shills?
It is bad for PlayStation gamers who buy the console on the pretense that it has certain actual exclusives. It shouldn't be a complete deal breaker for so many people, but it will be a for at least some. The value proposition of the console literally goes down when it has fewer distinguishing games. There's no avoiding that.

I simply don't buy the notion that gamers have suffered so because of exclusivity. I don't believe anyone with the time or money to be playing games doesn't have enough to buy more than one platform. I don't believe that anyone who really wants to play a Sony 1st party didn't have access to a PlayStation console at this point.

In the long run, I don't think it'll be good for Sony's pipeline, which won't be good for its quality, which won't be good for its own financials, which won't be good its player base who has to now deal with a Sony that entries about developing for multiple platforms, and actually brings in lower margins; because the number of people who have decided to refrain from buying a PlayStation where they would've before outweighs the number of new players now buying into PS games where they had no previous interest.

Do we really need to do this dance? 3rd parties have proven the point. Microsoft proved it.

Top Bottom