• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ampere Analyst expects Sony to react to Xbox’s Activision deal with a major acquisition of its own

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony Interactive Entertainment could respond to Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard with a major deal of its own.

That’s according to Ampere Analysis’ games research director Piers Harding-Rolls, who believes the PlayStation maker “is under pressure to react” to Xbox’s mega deal.

“Sony surely is under pressure to react, even after their Bungie acquisition,” Harding-Rolls told GamesIndustry.biz. “I expect further investments and acquisitions for PlayStation, including a large one that would move the needle for them in a meaningful way.”

Do it Jimbo, get your own career moment before retirement.
Black White Logos GIF

Buggy Loop

Go to a war of acquisitions with a trillion dollar company.

Sounds like a smart plan.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

I don't see what's really left anymore, even the activision buyout was way overpriced.

Sega? Skeleton of what they used to be
Ubisoft? Meme at this point
Rockstar? Rockstar's very expensive, ~$23B, Sony hasn't shown that kind of commitment.
Square-Enix is holding dwindling franchises that keep alienating customers whatever decision they make, and the whole management is basically to kick off the door as soon as you buy.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Square enix , Capcom or Sega make the most sense surely. Microsoft seem like theyd go for Ubisoft as they have marketing deals with a lot of the tentpole Ubisoft games too
None of those would move any sort of needle. Call of Duty alone is more valuable than all those publishers combined.

They need Take 2 to actually reply. GTA is the only thing that would offset COD.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sony will respond with the Spider-Man 2 release that will sell 25+ million copies and take PS5 console sales and revenue to new heights, and let's be honest, considering how things are going, even that would be more than enough.
Plus counter with a PS5 Pro while Xbox has no pro console and point to all the charts that says its by far the best place to play 3rd party titles

If Sony wants to earn alot of potential income like they did with what they was getting from CoD then the to potential candidates would either be Buying T2 with there IPs or Buy 50% of EA also with there IPs raging from rts, fps , rpg , sports and considering sports does well on sonys platform.

Reckheim

Kind of a pointless article since its just baseless assumptions. Anyone can come to the conclusion that Sony will be making their own moves.

Personally I can see them scooping up one of the bigger Japanese publishers. I think Capcom is doing a bit too well right now; SQ enix could be a good one.

Last edited:

cybertailor

Neo Member
T2 and Capcom would be the only aquisition that makes sense, but seems too expensive. All the others are not really that fitting with Playstation Studios brand wise imo.
People at Sony know how to run Studios, they'd probably be better of just getting new IPs of the ground than buying Ubisoft for example.

Last edited:

yurinka

Ampere Analysis maybe didn't realize that Sony decreased their acquisitions and investements budget for this FY until around $140M before acquiring Audeze, and decided to keep acquisitions for the mid to long term, pretty likely matching the timeframe when they'll have completed the spinoff of their banking division to sell 80+% of it (which will take 2-3 years according to their estimate).

PS Studios+Bungie have several shooters that have been under development for many years, and they'll continue having CoD for at least 10 years. In addition to this, the Zenimax acquisition didn't cause any advantage to Xbox (with important YoY decreases in hw sales) or Gamepass (did stop growing and got stagnant since many months ago).

I think they won't need to make any acquisition to counter it, at least for a few years.

Last edited:

Unknown?

None of those would move any sort of needle. Call of Duty alone is more valuable than all those publishers combined.

They need Take 2 to actually reply. GTA is the only thing that would offset COD.
Rock star sucks now though and their key staff are gone. GTA6 will be huge but that company isn't going to remain great.

NEbeast

It sucks that MS has gobbled up two massive publishers , but I really don't want Sony doing the same. There are rumours of Disney wanting to buy EA, tencent are massive and will certainly want more of the pie, this is going to hurt people who enjoy gaming as a hobby in the long run.
Sony are putting out quality games so they will be fine either way. People have shown they are willing to pay for a premium product, and only one console manufacturer is currently doing that .

Crayon

All this stuff sucks. Best case is a bungie sitch where they just skim the money and let them continue publishing on all platforms. Even then, "plans change" and they could withold a game whenver they want.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Buy as many ~100 person studios that are trying to make the next big Live Service game.

Create as many ~100 person studios that are trying to make the next big Live Service game.

Single player studios are overvalued in todays market if they don't have a monster IP attached. Multiplayer studios don't have that issue.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Rock star sucks now though and their key staff are gone. GTA6 will be huge but that company isn't going to remain great.
No they don't suck, RDR 2 was a masterpiece. GTA 6 will be one too.
Thats all you need anyway. Red Dead and GTA. The rest of their games are all a bonus.
Plus they'd be fused with Sony 1st Party.

yurinka

Microsoft has been restricted from buying Ubisoft for the next 10 years. That period can also be extended if the CMA wants to extend it.
In addition to this there's the Tencent stuff: they also had a deal to don't buy/sell during I don't remember if it was 5 or 8 years. In addition to this, the Guillemots don't want to sell and thanks to Tencent they now are protected against hostile takeovers.
Soo why not From Software which is a relatively tiny acquisition but held high in core gamers minds?
Because it's owned by another company who maybe doesn't want to sell their main asset, and maybe doesn't want to sell their own company.

Sony probably not gonna do anything until the new CEO comes?
Before leaving pretty likely they already left planned what to do during this transitional period plus the first months of the new CEO. And pretty likely the idea was to continue working on the stuff they already were working on since several years ago.

I wouldn't expect them to do something very different and new before getting a new CEO.

Last edited:
What about Embracer? I'm positive sony can get alot of studios at a cheaper price? Probably can get like 10/15 studios at far better price then ms payed for zenimax maybe anyways 🤔

Unknown?

No they don't suck, RDR 2 was a masterpiece. GTA 6 will be one too.
Thats all you need anyway. Red Dead and GTA. The rest of their games are all a bonus.
Plus they'd be fused with Sony 1st Party.
Everything else they've put out has been terrible though. They haven't shown the prestige they're known for, just pumping out shark cards.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They already left competition (and even PC players) without some games for years so I don't think they need it. They're in the dominant position.

Top Bottom