• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Japanese support on PC surpassed consoles

SNG32

Do you think the Japanese developers are making more games on PC then they are on console? I noticed that a lot of gacha titles that are on mobile are starting to get pc ports before console. I also noticed alot of Chinese games get released to PC before console as well.

I know Squares main platform for final fantasy is PlayStation but eventually it does make its way to PC. Thoughts?

nial

Gold Member
For gacha games it's mostly because a vast majority of them also target the rest of East Asian countries, all of which have a huge PC userbase compared to consoles.

Mr Hyde

It's great to see japanese devs embrace PC. It took a long time but now they are fully on board making tons of cash. Capcom, Square and From Software are the biggest supporters I think and have the biggest audience.

SNG32

It's great to see japanese devs embrace PC. It took a long time but now they are fully on board making tons of cash. Capcom, Square and From Software are the biggest supporters I think and have the biggest audience.
Atlus and Namco too. Atlus It took awhile to be confident with the Persona series but seems like they’re fully on board now.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You get the best selection of moneyhatted games from Nintendo and Sony

Etc etc etc. And you get the best version of all the multiplats.
I wouldn't say the best version of ALL multiplats... for example, I'll stick with ff7 remake on my PS5 versus the PC version.
But yeah in general it's great to have this kind of japanese support for PC these days and PC is definitely my first choice. I always hoped it would get to this point.

I also hope that companies stop doing console timed exclusives at some point, like Square doing with FF7R, FF16, etc...

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

With mods too

19418564-1643483363.jpg

And games that got much more graphically pleasing with high res high fps such as

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wouldn't say the best version of ALL multiplats... for example, I'll stick with ff7 remake on my PS5 versus the PC version.
But yeah in general it's great to have this kind of japanese support for PC these days and PC is definitely my first choice. I always hoped it would get to this point.

PC version of Intergrade runs fine in my experience, too bad about the game itself

With mods too

19418564-1643483363.jpg

And games that got much more graphically pleasing with high res high fps such as

Epic Tim gave me this game for free, I should really try it sometime

Celcius

°Temp. member
PC version of Intergrade runs fine in my experience...
Good to know, I had heard some people mention issues with the port but I guess those got fixed.
hmm, now you've got me considering double-dipping lol. The game is on sale too...

edit: Bought it and can confirm it runs fine on PC

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Good to know, I had heard some people mention issues with the port but I guess those got fixed.
hmm, now you've got me considering double-dipping lol. The game is on sale too...

I remember reading there were problems at launch on epic store

I played it last year after a sale on steam and it was stellar in performances and visual quality throughout the game.

Skifi28

Not a big fan of some of the ports, granblue fantasy Relink was stuttering galore to the point of refunding, I'd rather ay the console version at 1080p but with zero issues. Many other games while generally fine, exhibit stutter that isn't there on the console version like re4 or just weird behavior in general. But at least they're trying these days.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not a big fan of some of the ports, granblue fantasy Relink was stuttering galore to the point of refunding, I'd rather ay the console version at 1080p but with zero issues. Many other games while generally fine, exhibit stutter that isn't there on the console version like re4 or just weird behavior in general. But at least they're trying these days.
That game runs perfect on my pc. No stutters super fast load times at 4k.

Last edited:

Denton

Japan has ALWAYS supported PCs since the 80s. a lot of big Japanese developers got started on the pc88, pc98, MX/2, and x68000. Then they moved onto windows.
1998 - 2012 japan was heavily focused on consoles. PC got very rare ports of only the biggest games and those ports sucked ass as a rule (MGS2, SH2, Resi 4..)

Japan started supporting PC fully only after Dark Souls PC port was a smash hit (and that game was never supposed to come to PC, only a 100K signed fan petition made that happen).

RagnarokIV

Boys, someone tag the Japanese user on GAF who schooled the last guy re Metal Gear, MSX and the Japanese home computer market.

MikeM

I also hope that companies stop doing console timed exclusives at some point, like Square doing with FF7R, FF16, etc...
Playing FFVII Remake on PC and runs great. The odd minor stutter but otherwise fantastic experience thus far.

LRKD

No, vanillaware is still console only, and quite a few of Nippon Ichi games as well. Hell even a big company like Sega, only 5 years ago released Sakura Wars only on ps4. There are plenty of games big and small that still miss pc releases.

S0ULZB0URNE

Plus multiplayer is also a huge factor for many (like me) with every PC game having hax.

StereoVsn

Do we know who didn't go through with the marriage?
Sony and SE? My guess is SE wanted too much cash for further delay. And that’s understandable once you start looking at sales numbers of bigger games on Steam.

Of course it’s SE so they are likely to release the game in EGS first which will tank its sales.

Mister Wolf

Do we know who didn't go through with the marriage?

Whether it was Square asking for too much money, Square not offering at all, or Sony showing no interest, as long as I get the desired outcome that's all that matters. I'm going to surmise that it wasn't because of a lack of interest from Sony otherwise this game wouldn't be timed exclusive at all.

Guilty_AI

Japanese specifically? No. While its true there are a few indie and AA devs that priotitize PC, we still have the console manufacters prioritizing their own consoles, as well as some of the old time companies like SE or Vanillaware treating PC as secondary to non-existent.

Now, if were talking about eastern asian countries other than Japan? Like China, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand... then yeah. There are tons of game devs, indie to AA set in those places that treat PC as a main platform, or even forgo other platforms (apart from mobile) altogether.

gametomo_0001pl.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg
6-1-901355-52.jpg

00891f2144bede865c7d651079a0fe30f27535d2ca48904e71c12d6e7ff19d20
library-of-ruina-button-fin-1628806839153.jpg

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Beg to differ pc ports in 2022-2023 sucked so many porting issues with dx12 and more. I won’t buy a pc game until a week after launch to hear real reviews not excited kids

Gambit2483

What makes you think they’re excluded? PC gets plenty of JRPGs that Nintendo doesn’t.
My point was Nintendo, as a software company, produces many many "Japanese" games that do not, and will not, ever see the light of day on a PC (legally). Not about the JRPGs they do or don't get. Though that may change soon with Switch 2...who knows

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I always find that extremely weird too, its not like they have deals with any console maker. A niche game developer like them should put their games on as many platforms as possible. Probably just poor management/decision making.
I'm not PC gamer but I'm big Vanillaware fan and I want to see them succeed, so making their games available in other platforms is ideal.

I especially puzzle about them releasing Unicorn Overlord on Xbox but not PC, that type of game has more audience on PC more than Xbox.

S0ULZB0URNE

Whether it was Square asking for too much money, Square not offering at all, or Sony showing no interest, as long as I get the desired outcome that's all that matters. I'm going to surmise that it wasn't because of a lack of interest from Sony otherwise this game wouldn't be timed exclusive at all.
I am going to guess Sony it was Sony who made this decision which is the opposite of what your post says.

No one knows though.

Timed exclusives when PlayStation has em usually=better games.

Buggy Loop

My point was Nintendo, as a software company, produces many many "Japanese" games that do not, and will not, ever see the light of day on a PC (legally).

You can legally play Nintendo games on PC if you legally buy them and dump them onto an emulator.

Lol what?

I'm not PC gamer but I'm big Vanillaware fan and I want to see them succeed, so making their games available in other platforms is ideal.

I especially puzzle about them releasing Unicorn Overlord on Xbox but not PC, that type of game has more audience on PC more than Xbox.
Xbox probably pushed for it. They always put money into getting Japanese games on their platform despite it not selling just to show that they "care".

IAmRei

From japanese dev i met in last TGS, i heard that steam only 2% users there vs others. Kind of forgot about numbers but Mobile and Consoles is the most in The Japan.

Lucumo

Do you think the Japanese developers are making more games on PC then they are on console?
But they made more games for PCs than consoles at any point in time. It's just that big publishers are yet again somewhat shifting/adding focus.

Hudo

Yeah, I find it a bit weird that they omit PC for Unicorn Overlord. A Ogre Battle-like strategy game (that's at least the vibes I got from Unicorn Overlord so far) might not be the worst fit.

Top Bottom