• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Styles

Is just me or are Sony first party games rarely playable at E3? They either get demo'd on stage or behind closed doors to the press.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Cool interview on the PS Blog

How do you teach a boy to become a god?

As noted above, there are two ambitious narrative arcs in God of War on PS4. Firstly, how exactly do you chart the journey of a regular boy on his way to becoming a god? That’s a tough ask for any writing team.

“Well, it’s not so much Kratos teaching Atreus how to be a god, but how not to make the same mistakes he did,” Barlog clarifies.

“To Kratos, being a god is a disease. It’s a disease that he’s passed onto his kid, and he doesn’t want that. In our children, we often see our own mistakes – the worst parts of ourselves amplified. But Kratos hates everything about being a god. All he wants to do is make sure that the mistakes he’s made are not passed on and repeated.

“But then, of course, he also needs to make sure his kid can take care of himself – it’s not a friendly world out there…”

silva1991

Is just me or are Sony first party games rarely playable at E3? They either get demo'd on stage or behind closed doors to the press.

I was thinking about it the other day. Seeing all those people play and upload videos of Mario Odyssey made it easily the best game at E3 for me aside from KH3.

Sony need to step up their game.

____

Do games have to come out this year to be playable? GoW is coming early next year and I don't see why it wasn't playable.

Eh, it's approx. 9 months from release. I think they still have enough time/opportunities to have it playable for the press before release.

Wollan

God of War |OT| Uncut Norse Mythology
God of War |OT| Norwegian Wood
God of War |OT| IKEAl ya
God of War |OT| Press O to Son
God of War |OT| The Road to Valhalla
God of War |OT| Old man strength
God of War |OT| Troll country
God of War |OT| Son, we really are the last of us
God of War |OT| Neverending Story

Lady Gaia

God of War |OT| The Godfather

Brilliant. So much packed into that short, borrowed phrase.

I'm looking forward to this game so much that I could hardly watch this year's trailer. I don't want to know more — but I couldn't stay away from the E3 Experience, so I just have to trust that what we've seen doesn't amount to much in the way of spoilers.

Did anyone else get the impression that perhaps, in the guise of Kratos trying to teach his son the way of the world, it might be what Kratos can learn from his son that becomes the real story here? The events of the past three games have left him as such a damaged individual that it's easy to imagine wandering the world for a few hundred years looking for a new purpose.

Crowne

Neo Member
God of War |OT| Daddy Got Issues
God of War |OT| Gone Daddy Gone
God of War |OT| Daddy knows best
God of War |OT| Anger Management
God of War |OT| One and a half Gods
God of War |OT| Father where are thou?
God of War |OT| Daddy loves his axe
God of War |OT| How to be a good parent
God of War |OT| Fathersday the choleric way
God of War |OT| Father & Son (imagine the song)
God of War |OT| My first beer was a deer :D

ok, I stop now...actually...

It's now time to make a change
Just take the axe, kill them easy
You're still young, that's your fault
but it's so good you have a bow
Find a god, crush him down
If you want, you can go crazy
Look at me
I am old, but I'm angry

Did anyone else get the impression that perhaps, in the guise of Kratos trying to teach his son the way of the world, it might be what Kratos can learn from his son that becomes the real story here? The events of the past three games have left him as such a damaged individual that it's easy to imagine wandering the world for a few hundred years looking for a new purpose.

Cory kinda said it outright that a large part of the game is about Kratos finding back his humanity through Atreus, learning acceptance of who and what he is through him.

Lady Gaia

Cory kinda said it outright that a large part of the game is about Kratos finding back his humanity through Atreus, learning acceptance of who and what he is through him.

Makes perfect sense. I hadn't seen / read that particular quote but it does give the story a nice layer of complexity they can work with. I'm clearly going to have to GoW3 again.

Pizza

So, legitimate question here: is this what God of War fans were hoping for? I've never really played the series but I was surprised to see how big a departure it seemed. The hyper-macho tone and snappy beat-'em-up gameplay, with big cool setpieces, always seemed like the main appeal to me. And a more standard, third-person action game with a quiet father/son story looks like a HUGE departure.

Looks good and all, but not at all what I expected when I saw Kratos pop up.

I've played ALL of the other GoW games to completion and yeah this is actually exactly what I want.

Kratos has developed as a character and a person, the gameplay looks fresh and insteresting and I'm excited to see the combo potential of having an archer son.

My actual biggest complaint for this game rn is that they didn't use the old style of combat for a multiplayer mode like Ascension. I know it was never huge but the competitive mp in that game was really really really cool.

thekratosfather.jpg

Quickly thrown together idea for the OT banner to go with my subtitle suggestion :D

EDIT: Take 2 (man, I missed doing hands-on design work)

thekratosfather_v24qs6e.png

Making a playable demo is incredibly taxing on a developer and it hampers their production schedules. Sony is nice enough to leave it up to the developer if they want to have a playable demo or not and most dev's elect not to so they can focus on the full game.

Once you get closer to ship it is easier to branch off a playable demo (still taxing).

Top Bottom