• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Guymelef

2fjBr5n.gif

Those are giant's pigtails, right?

I have a bad feeling about this game.
I absolutely dislike the kid with a passion, and overall think the game is becoming another generic Sony production like Uncharted 4.

A shame, because GOW3 is one of the greatest games of all time.
What has the kid done to you?

Boke1879

I absolutely dislike the kid with a passion, and overall think the game is becoming another generic Sony production like Uncharted 4.

It looks like God Of War. It's just more narrative driven it seems. Something this series quite frankly needs.

The kid isn't even annoying.

Damn, reading this thread makes the wait for early 2018 really hard. This, Spiderman and Mario are my highlights of E3 ! Just amazing gaming on the way !

I think SSM really nailed the return of Kratos and its new direction judging from what i saw. I love everything about this new Kratos, his voice, his bad boy style, the brutality... just wow !

Hopefully the game will turn out to be great and i trust SSM and Cory Balrog to make something special.

Geez, the kid didn't need to do a whole lot to incur your wrath did he.

jett

D-Member
So given the new approach to QTEs

Can we assume what's happening here isn't a cutscene but a traditional moment like in past games, but instead of prompts, the pauses are where you press the obvious button? Punch, punch, axe, etc.?

That looks like a cut-scene with zero input from you. That "spartan rage" bit was the only suspect part of that demo. That mechanic didn't look like it served any purpose whatsoever beyond initiating a cinematic.

I actually think Pandora was one of the worst things about GOW3. It was just awkward. I can see why they changed Kratos's voice actor this time around.

Nothing yet. But Kratos with a kid is some serious BS in my eyes.

The thing for me is the kid looks useful without being a burden. Kinda like how Ellie was in TLoU and I know Cory said during E3 they talked to their sister studio (clearly Naughty Dog) before production to work out how they could implement this properly.

Maybe he can even surprise us in certain scenarios too.

In any case if you like GoW series as a whole don't write the game off because of the kid.
Keep an open mind and wait for reviews.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Several of the games feature Kratos with a child in some form, God of War 3 especially. Its hardly new to the series.

cLOUDo

wut?

Two Words

This game looks nothing like Uncharted.

Nothing yet. But Kratos with a kid is some serious BS in my eyes.
Kratos was a father since GoW1, dude. His original story was supposed to be a Greek tragedy, like Troy, and it was another a father/husband that ruined his life because of his own greed and he wanted his suffering to end. How is this any different?

What has the kid done to you?

Second or third time I've read criticism about the kid. He hasn't got any annoying mannerisms, in fact he's the complete opposite and seems to have a reserved, quiet manner about him; absolutely zero reason to dislike him except for the obvious: because he's new/different to what came before in other GoW games.

Spinluck

If Uncharted 4 was generic to you, then I'm shocked you don't find the entire series generic.

Yes, that includes UC2.

MattAces

If Uncharted 4 was generic to you, then I'm shocked you don't find the entire series generic.

Yes, that includes UC2.

Ehh, everything great is generic and overrated in Gaf.
Uncharted 4 is generic, Last of Us is overrated, God of War has never been good, Horizon is generic.
Opinions yes, but people around here are being critical just for the sake of being "that guy".

People who find that kid annoying and disliking the kid with a "passion" just from watching this 5 minutes trailer has problems. I really don't see a single point where the kid is being whiny.

sflufan

Banned
After thinking about it for about 30 seconds, it makes somwhat sense that Jörmungandr (the World Serpent) from the trailer would want to ally himself with Kratos. In Norse mythology, Jörmungandr is the arch-enemy of Thor and when it releases its tail, Ragnarök will begin. In the prophecy of the final battle, Thor kills Jörmungandr before walking nine steps and falling dead.

If the Norse beings are aware of who Kratos is and what he has done (as has been indicated in developer interviews), then it stands to reason that Jörmungandr views Kratos as a "god killer" who can possibly change the outcome of the prophecy.

After thinking about it for about 30 seconds, it makes somwhat sense that Jörmungandr (the World Serpent) from the trailer would want to ally himself with Kratos. In Norse mythology, Jörmungandr is the arch-enemy of Thor and when it releases its tail, Ragnarök will begin. In the prophecy of the final battle, Thor kills Jörmungandr before walking nine steps and falling dead.

If the Norse beings are aware of who Kratos is and what he has done (as has been indicated in developer interviews), then it stands to reason that Jörmungandr views Kratos as a "god killer" who can possibly change the outcome of the prophecy.
Yeah, they are so building up to Ragnarok. Like you can't do Kratos + Norse and not have that as the end goal.

We might just get that Titan vs Gods level of scale that God of War 3 only really had in cinematics

farmerboy

Cannot wait. Favourite moment in the trailer was at the 1:16 minute mark. Where Kratos utters "The truth" for a second time.

He looks legit shook and I love that they are showing this side of him. With no real expectations on the narrative we may be surprised by how good it is.

Bring it on.

Cannot wait. Favourite moment in the trailer was at the 1:16 minute mark. Where Kratos utters "The truth" for a second time.

He looks legit shook and I love that they are showing this side of him. With no real expectations on the narrative we may be surprised by how good it is.

Bring it on.

Yeaaaah! that's my favourite bit too! :D

No QTEs is really cool, I'm wondering how it will all work out. It looks like Kratos is still doing awesome things like dropping battering rams violently on trolls heads, so doing that without a big triangle prompt above sounds good to me.

Maybe the grab button works like it always did. Initiating the finishing move on weakened enemies. I guess we'll be able to chain them together somehow. Curious to see how it turns out.

My most anticipated game, looks like they're taking GOW to the next level.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
What does a generic Sony game even look like? I swear people will make up any criticism when they are desperate for something to nitpick.

Literally the only thing I could think of was the most expensive art house game of all time. Y'know, All is Lost. It would be just Kratos, he never says anything, all the other characters speak in a different language and they very rarely speak. It would be 20 hours where nobody talks. It would have either sucked or have been really amazing

Damn, I wanna play this God of War too.

Top Bottom